***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

PE,

Some praise for your boy McKinnon... with a bit of a twist:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pat-kirwan/24519220/nfl-draft-deep-draft-for-dbs-could-yield-some-steals

"Offense or defense for McKinnon?

I interview 10 to 15 draft candidates a week on my radio show and while most are impressive, every so often one of them is really special.

Jerick McKinnon is a former quarterback from Georgia Southern who went to the Senior Bowl to prove he could become a running back in the NFL. After a four-year career where he rushed for 3,899 yards and 42 touchdowns he might be a good running back candidate. McKinnon rushed for more than 100 yards against Georgia and Florida in games way over Georgia Southern's head when it came to talent on the field.

But here's my twist on McKinnon: I think I would draft him and put him at corner for a team that plays a lot of press man coverage. The kid benched 225 pounds 32 times, ran 4.35, and had a 40 1/2-inch vertical -- all better numbers than any corner in the draft. McKinnon can run, flip his hips and is explosive. McKinnon admitted two clubs were coming in to work him out as corner. Believe me that's a good idea."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Sigh I keep flipping and flopping on this guy but I kind of want McCullers again. I feel like a druggie with the kid but you just can teach 6'7" 352. Certainly would fix our run D issue and has some good upside. Rewatching senior bowl stuff he caught my eye yet again. The kid has tons of potential. Could you imagine RB's looking across the line and seeing Wilfork and McCullers playing next to each other? Talk about running into a brick wall up the middle. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

PE,

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pat-kirwan/24519220/nfl-draft-deep-draft-for-dbs-could-yield-some-steals

I interview 10 to 15 draft candidates a week on my radio show and while most are impressive, every so often one of them is really special.

Jerick McKinnon is a former quarterback from Georgia Southern who went to the Senior Bowl to prove he could become a running back in the NFL. After a four-year career where he rushed for 3,899 yards and 42 touchdowns he might be a good running back candidate. McKinnon rushed for more than 100 yards against Georgia and Florida in games way over Georgia Southern's head when it came to talent on the field.

But here's my twist on McKinnon: I think I would draft him and put him at corner for a team that plays a lot of press man coverage. The kid benched 225 pounds 32 times, ran 4.35, and had a 40 1/2-inch vertical -- all better numbers than any corner in the draft. McKinnon can run, flip his hips and is explosive. McKinnon admitted two clubs were coming in to work him out as corner. Believe me that's a good idea."

[/QUOTE]

lol versatility man versatility, and you know BB loves that. I really wouldn't want it to happen but imagine the Pats are devestated by injury at CB and Edelman and McKinnon jump in. Talk about a BB wet dream, ironman QB's who don't play QB

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sigh I keep flipping and flopping on this guy but I kind of want McCullers again. I feel like a druggie with the kid but you just can teach 6'7" 352. Certainly would fix our run D issue and has some good upside. Rewatching senior bowl stuff he caught my eye yet again. The kid has tons of potential. Could you imagine RB's looking across the line and seeing Wilfork and McCullers playing next to each other? Talk about running into a brick wall up the middle. 

[/QUOTE]

Believe what your eyes tell you!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

PE,

[/QUOTE]

lol versatility man versatility, and you know BB loves that. I really wouldn't want it to happen but imagine the Pats are devestated by injury at CB and Edelman and McKinnon jump in. Talk about a BB wet dream, ironman QB's who don't play QB

[/QUOTE]

Haha, that'd be quite the disastrous scenario.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The singular problem with this guy is whether he gets into game shape to get push up the middle...no one can move him, but can he move laterally to even make nominal pursuit down the line?... He's huge, but in Tenn. games I watched this year he was unspectacular and played very sparingly at crucial times and had ZERO stamina....In the NFL with many interior lineman in excess of 330 and most of them in shape, they'll ride this fatboy all day long....he's got to get in shape...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Jarvis Landry runs identical 4.58's at his Pro Day, which seems much more inline with his tape than the 4.77 he ran at the combine.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The singular problem with this guy is whether he gets into game shape to get push up the middle...no one can move him, but can he move laterally to even make nominal pursuit down the line?... He's huge, but in Tenn. games I watched this year he was unspectacular and played very sparingly at crucial times and had ZERO stamina....In the NFL with many interior lineman in excess of 330 and most of them in shape, they'll ride this fatboy all day long....he's got to get in shape...

[/QUOTE]

and that's why I keep flip flopping. In 12' he looked unstoppable in 13' he looked out of shape. If he can maintain stamina no doubt he could play a Wilfork type of role moving forward but then again he could easily fall out of shape. You know with the comp pick I might not mind taking the shot if they don't get a DT early

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

Love Landry on the field, and he's extremely impressive off of it... get this kid to Foxboro, BB!

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/LSU-WR-Jarvis-Landrys-Combine-Presser/b482e828-828b-40bf-8743-493b8a604b5e

[/QUOTE]

I hate to be a party p00per but isn't Landry similar less the speed to Boyce? Every scouting report I read on him says "slot WR", good hands, adept at running short route, etc. 

looking over our current WR corps, it seems we have a host of guys that can play very well in the slot, and a couple in Dobson, Lafell, maybe thompkins that can line up outside and win. Dobson is a ? With his foot, thompkins not sure if he even makes the roster. 

AMy preference would be for a X/Z hybrid rather than Y, Y/Z type of player. 

Thoughts?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

Jarvis Landry runs identical 4.58's at his Pro Day, which seems much more inline with his tape than the 4.77 he ran at the combine.

[/QUOTE]

I like him...huge hands...catches everything and is quicker than his 40 time shows. This kid is going to help some team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

and that's why I keep flip flopping. In 12' he looked unstoppable in 13' he looked out of shape. If he can maintain stamina no doubt he could play a Wilfork type of role moving forward but then again he could easily fall out of shape. You know with the comp pick I might not mind taking the shot if they don't get a DT early

[/QUOTE]

I like him, I'm surprised that he plays at such a good pad level for a guy that big/tall. He is never going to be a pass rusher, but every time I watched him he was double teamed...and he still didn't get pushed back. I do worry that he is too slow - everything he does is slow and lumbering - but he still looks better than some of these mammoths that have come out of the draft over the last few years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Love Landry on the field, and he's extremely impressive off of it... get this kid to Foxboro, BB!

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/LSU-WR-Jarvis-Landrys-Combine-Presser/b482e828-828b-40bf-8743-493b8a604b5e

[/QUOTE]

I hate to be a party p00per but isn't Landry similar less the speed to Boyce? Every scouting report I read on him says "slot WR", good hands, adept at running short route, etc. 

looking over our current WR corps, it seems we have a host of guys that can play very well in the slot, and a couple in Dobson, Lafell, maybe thompkins that can line up outside and win. Dobson is a ? With his foot, thompkins not sure if he even makes the roster. 

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

No, he's not as fast as Boyce... but I think he can play inside or out, I think he'll come in and learn the offense relatively quickly and I think his ability/savvy as a route runner and ability to catch anything that's close (especially over the middle) will quickly make him a trusted weapon for Brady.

I'm not shooting down the idea of BB targeting a bigger WR, in fact I'd love to see that too, but Landry is a very, very good football player.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I like him...huge hands...catches everything and is quicker than his 40 time shows. This kid is going to help some team.

[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly... love his tape.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He is a very good football player - he is going to help someone - I know we are set in the slot, but I just don't like the idea of passing up on good players because they aren't needed...they are always needed. Every year I see positions of strength decimated by injury just weeks into the season, I hope if we get the chance to draft him, we do.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He needs to shave off a few pounds just to be able to get in shape and move his legs to maintain position and stay more injury free...a guy that big who gets knee injuries from constant double team "hi-low" blocks can be badly and irreperably hurt...if he gets his stamina up he could do real damage...plus if he can work into the pocket a few feet he'll panic the QB...the dude blocks out the sun...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

I like him, I'm surprised that he plays at such a good pad level for a guy that big/tall. He is never going to be a pass rusher, but every time I watched him he was double teamed...and he still didn't get pushed back. I do worry that he is too slow - everything he does is slow and lumbering - but he still looks better than some of these mammoths that have come out of the draft over the last few years.

[/QUOTE]

the question is if he can get off/on the field during subs and when he gets winded. Not to mention how much will he need to be sub'd. But you can't double both him and Vince

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Landry is a tough guy who does the dirty work for an offense...I think he'll end up being a bettter pro in the end than his more heralded teammate...he ran fast today, had a really good workout...so did Mettenberger and Hill, who ran a tenth of a second fatser than at the combine, in the 4.5's...a 230 pound back that can bring it that fast is nasty...one final point...the guys they showed on camera all looked athletic and cut..all looked in great shape, even Mettenberg who was just 13 weeks from ACL surgery...made 100 throws and was accurate...NFL Network is GREAT!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Landry is a tough guy who does the dirty work for an offense...I think he'll end up being a bettter pro in the end than his more heralded teammate...he ran fast today, had a really good workout...so did Mettenberger and Hill, who ran a tenth of a second fatser than at the combine, in the 4.5's...a 230 pound back that can bring it that fast is nasty...one final point...the guys they showed on camera all looked athletic and cut..all looked in great shape, even Mettenmberg who was just 13 weeks from ACL surgery...made 100 throws and was accurate...NFL Network is GREAT!!!

[/QUOTE]

I too think he ends up as the better pro.

Yeah, love the nighly "Path to the Draft" content"!  Draft weekend is great too because you can switch back and forth... and I much prefer Mayock to Kiper/McShay.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

McCullers is a big dude, nothing more. He is NOT a football player. Terence Cody was by far a better football player -- i.e., NT -- in college than McCullers is/was. What has Cody done in the NFL?

McCullers with VW? forget it. I am pretty sure that is not the interior D we all have been wanting. No interior push. Predictable and static. What good is a wall when it's predictably stuck in one place so that the other side can run circles around it? 

Sorry, but I have watched so much college football, as in full games, not just highlights, this past year, I just can't understand the fascination.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

McKinnon? I get... in the 6th?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

No, he's not as fast as Boyce... but I think he can play inside or out, I think he'll come in and learn the offense relatively quickly and I think his ability/savvy as a route runner and ability to catch anything that's close (especially over the middle) will quickly make him a trusted weapon for Brady.

I'm not shooting down the idea of BB targeting a bigger WR, in fact I'd love to see that too, but Landry is a very, very good football player.

[/QUOTE] There aren't many guys in the NFL who are as fast as a healthy Boyce he ran a 4.34 40 at the combine last year with a broken foot! Landry might be a football player though and that might be his selling point.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

McCullers is a big dude, nothing more. He is NOT a football player. Terence Cody was by far a better football player -- i.e., NT -- in college than McCullers is/was. What has Cody done in the NFL?

McCullers with VW? forget it. I am pretty sure that is not the interior D we all have been wanting. No interior push. Predictable and static. What good is a wall when it's predictably stuck in one place so that the other side can run circles around it? 

Sorry, but I have watched so much college football, as in full games, not just highlights, this past year, I just can't understand the fascination.

[/QUOTE]

Hey what do you know I have too and I'm telling you there is something there. You know I have a good track record when it comes to DL every year and McCullers has more than just an achor quality to him. He has good hand work and has great understanding of leverage for his size. He was dominant in 12', easily a top 3 NT in that year and had little trouble pushing the pocket back 3-4' at a time. Believe it or not that much can be effective in causing panic for a QB. In 13' if you watched the games you'd noticed he was mostly doubled and tripled teamed, and one reason why his production went down but still never got pushed back. If you are forced to have to double both Vince and McCuller then you are leaving both Nink and Jones on 1v1 situations and the LB's open space. I highly doubt other teams could run circles around that as you think. The biggest question with McCullers though is his stamina and if he can stay on the field. Not very effective if he gets winded every other play. But having someone of similar size (Vince) to help him keep in shape would go a long way. The kid flashes tons of potential but still needs to live up to it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

McKinnon? I get... in the 6th?

[/QUOTE]

No chance he lasts till the 6th. I don't think he'll make it out of the early 5th at the latest and even then I think he's going in the 4th

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey what do you know I have too and I'm telling you there is something there. You know I have a good track record when it comes to DL every year and McCullers has more than just an achor quality to him. He has good hand work and has great understanding of leverage for his size. He was dominant in 12', easily a top 3 NT in that year and had little trouble pushing the pocket back 3-4' at a time. Believe it or not that much can be effective in causing panic for a QB. In 13' if you watched the games you'd noticed he was mostly doubled and tripled teamed, and one reason why his production went down but still never got pushed back. If you are forced to have to double both Vince and McCuller then you are leaving both Nink and Jones on 1v1 situations and the LB's open space. I highly doubt other teams could run circles around that as you think. The biggest question with McCullers though is his stamina and if he can stay on the field. Not very effective if he gets winded every other play. But having someone of similar size (Vince) to help him keep in shape would go a long way. The kid flashes tons of potential but still needs to live up to it.

[/QUOTE]

I think McCullers would be worth a shot in the 4th.  Definitely rare size.  I'm not going to pretend I've watched a lot of his film, because I have not.  I did see him play a few times, though, and saw him look pretty disruptive.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Who are your (10) favorite Day 2 prospects?  How about Day 3?

Below are mine...

Day 2:

WR Jarvis Landry

LB/S Telvin Smith

OLB/DE Marcus Smith

TE Troy Niklas

OL Joel Bitonio

DL DaQuan Jones or DL Dominique Easley

S Deone Bucannon

WR Donte Moncrief or WR Cody Latimer

LB Chris Borland

QB AJ McCarron or RB Devonte Freeman