***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to mellymel3's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Jarvis Landry runs identical 4.58's at his Pro Day, which seems much more inline with his tape than the 4.77 he ran at the combine.

I like him...huge hands...catches everything and is quicker than his 40 time shows. This kid is going to help some team.

My thoughts exactly... love his tape.

Landry is a tough guy who does the dirty work for an offense...I think he'll end up being a bettter pro in the end than his more heralded teammate...he ran fast today, had a really good workout...so did Mettenberger and Hill, who ran a tenth of a second fatser than at the combine, in the 4.5's...a 230 pound back that can bring it that fast is nasty...one final point...the guys they showed on camera all looked athletic and cut..all looked in great shape, even Mettenmberg who was just 13 weeks from ACL surgery...made 100 throws and was accurate...NFL Network is GREAT!!!

I too think he ends up as the better pro.

Yeah, love the nighly "Path to the Draft" content"!  Draft weekend is great too because you can switch back and forth... and I much prefer Mayock to Kiper/McShay.

+100...Mayock played the pro game so he knows from a pro coaches perspective what they are looking for and what you need to succeed first hand....the other two still like to compete against each other although ESPN has most likely told them to cool it as Mayock had garnered new converts to NFL Network draft coverage.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Day 2 top 10: (in no particular order)

Robinson, WR, Penn St.

Murphy, DE/OLB, Stanford

Amaro, TE, Texas Tech.

Jackson, OG, Miss. St.

Easly, DT, Florida

Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt

Martin, OC, USC

Breeland, CB, Clemson

Hyde, RB, Ohio St.

Landry, WR, LSU

Ford, DE/OLB, Auburn

Day 3: (in no particular order)

Mettenberger, QB, LSU

Turner, OG/OT, No. Dakota St.

Bucannon, SS, Washington St.

Clark, DE, West Virginia

Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska

McCarron, QB, Alabama

Richardson, OG, Baylor

Abbredeis, WR, Wisconsin

Bitonio, OG/OT, Nevada

Sutton, DT, Arizona 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Who are your (10) favorite Day 2 prospects?  How about Day 3?

Below are mine...

Day 2:

WR Jarvis Landry

LB/S Telvin Smith

OLB/DE Marcus Smith

TE Troy Niklas

OL Joel Bitonio

DL DaQuan Jones or DL Dominique Easley

S Deone Bucannon

WR Donte Moncrief or WR Cody Latimer

LB Chris Borland

QB AJ McCarron or RB Devonte Freeman

OK, so that's 13... my bad.

Day 3:

DL Brent Urban

DL Ed Stinon

WR Kain Colter

OL John Urshel

QB Logan Thomas

CB/S Dontae Johnson

S Craig Loston

CB/S Antone Exum

RB Alfred Blue

TE/FB/HB Trey Burton

Day 2:

DaQuan Jones DT

Ego Ferguson DT

Stephon Tuitt DE/DT

Dominique Easly DE/DT

Kareem Martin DE

Trent Murphy DE/LB

CJ Fiedorowicz TE

Troy Niklas TE

Donte Moncrief WR

Deone Bucannon S

Day 3:

Will Clark DE

Aaron Lynch DE

Daniel McCuller NT

Joe Dun Duncan TE

Cody Latimer WR

Cody Hoffman WR

Jerick McKinnon RB

Steele Divitto LB

Dakota Dozier G

Antone Exum S

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

McKinnon? I get... in the 6th?

No chance he lasts till the 6th. I don't think he'll make it out of the early 5th at the latest and even then I think he's going in the 4th

Maybe. He's a conversion project. His experience running has been mainly as a read-option QB. 

What kind of a RB do you think he will be? He has virtually no experience running between tackles as a feature back. He has very limited experience blocking. Third down? His experience catching is limited to those pitches outside. 

I understand he shows tremendous explosion and performed well at the combine. Perhaps on any other draft year, that would be enough to push him to a 4th round RB. 

This year, however, the draft is deep with talent, that teams do not have to resort to projection projects that early. There are starters to be had in the 4th. Picking him in the fourth would at least come at the price of not picking other prospects who have 4th round grades in the position they've played for many years. Actually, picking McKinnon in the fourth could mean picking him ahead of RBs such as Freeman (a beast between tackles), Sims, Gaffney (3-down back), D Thomas (very versatile 3rd down back), Grice (who could be a hell of an all-around QB when healthy).

I am not even saying he cannot be a great RB. I could see him being picked in the fourth by someone who has an extra comp pick. I'd be surprised if someone with one 4th round pick would gamble on him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

No chance he lasts till the 6th. I don't think he'll make it out of the early 5th at the latest and even then I think he's going in the 4th

Maybe. He's a conversion project. His experience running has been mainly as a read-option QB. 

What kind of a RB do you think he will be? He has virtually no experience running between tackles as a feature back. He has very limited experience blocking. Third down? His experience catching is limited to those pitches outside. 

I understand he shows tremendous explosion and performed well at the combine. Perhaps on any other draft year, that would be enough to push him to a 4th round RB. 

This year, however, the draft is deep with talent, that teams do not have to resort to projection projects that early. There are starters to be had in the 4th. Picking him in the fourth would at least come at the price of not picking other prospects who have 4th round grades in the position they've played for many years. Actually, picking McKinnon in the fourth could mean picking him ahead of RBs such as Freeman (a beast between tackles), Sims, Gaffney (3-down back), D Thomas (very versatile 3rd down back), Grice (who could be a hell of an all-around QB when healthy).

I am not even saying he cannot be a great RB. I could see him being picked in the fourth by someone who has an extra comp pick. I'd be surprised if someone with one 4th round pick would gamble on him.

They worked him out at RB at the senior bowl and he was one of the most explosive RB's at senior bowl week easily blowing past seasoned defenders and he was a top 5 performer in every catagory at the combine. Not to mention he was one of the most productive runners in college including big games against top end college programs like Florida in which he was the only weapon. I also forgot to mention he appearently catches the ball extremely well out of the backfield and has a good sense of routes. I've told MB this but he's the RB version of Cobb, I have no doubt.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

They worked him out at RB at the senior bowl and he was one of the most explosive RB's at senior bowl week easily blowing past seasoned defenders and he was a top 5 performer in every catagory at the combine. Not to mention he was one of the most productive runners in college including big games against top end college programs like Florida in which he was the only weapon. I also forgot to mention he appearently catches the ball extremely well out of the backfield and has a good sense of routes. I've told MB this but he's the RB version of Cobb, I have no doubt.

Saw them comment about him on "Path to the Draft" on the NFL Network...sounds like one heckuva an athlete and moves like one on the film I saw, that's for sure...to be that strong and fast at that size is amazing...you take him, you find out what he can do and you train him to do it...he'd be worth a year or two of development...given he's been a QB he certainly understands the game well, so he won't be like taking a sprinter and teaching him to catch passes...he already gets it...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Jarvis Landry runs identical 4.58's at his Pro Day, which seems much more inline with his tape than the 4.77 he ran at the combine.

I like him...huge hands...catches everything and is quicker than his 40 time shows. This kid is going to help some team.

Landry is a tough guy who does the dirty work for an offense...I think he'll end up being a bettter pro in the end than his more heralded teammate...he ran fast today, had a really good workout...so did Mettenberger and Hill, who ran a tenth of a second fatser than at the combine, in the 4.5's...a 230 pound back that can bring it that fast is nasty...one final point...the guys they showed on camera all looked athletic and cut..all looked in great shape, even Mettenmberg who was just 13 weeks from ACL surgery...made 100 throws and was accurate...NFL Network is GREAT!!!

Yeah, love the nighly "Path to the Draft" content"!  Draft weekend is great too because you can switch back and forth... and I much prefer Mayock to Kiper/McShay.

+100...Mayock played the pro game so he knows from a pro coaches perspective what they are looking for and what you need to succeed first hand....the other two still like to compete against each other although ESPN has most likely told them to cool it as Mayock had garnered new converts to NFL Network draft coverage.

And as an ND guy, I get Mayock for all NBC broadcasts... he's just very good at articulating the game.. and/or why a player is good/not good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

McCullers is a big dude, nothing more. He is NOT a football player. Terence Cody was by far a better football player -- i.e., NT -- in college than McCullers is/was. What has Cody done in the NFL?

McCullers with VW? forget it. I am pretty sure that is not the interior D we all have been wanting. No interior push. Predictable and static. What good is a wall when it's predictably stuck in one place so that the other side can run circles around it? 

Sorry, but I have watched so much college football, as in full games, not just highlights, this past year, I just can't understand the fascination.

Hey what do you know I have too and I'm telling you there is something there. You know I have a good track record when it comes to DL every year and McCullers has more than just an achor quality to him. He has good hand work and has great understanding of leverage for his size. He was dominant in 12', easily a top 3 NT in that year and had little trouble pushing the pocket back 3-4' at a time. Believe it or not that much can be effective in causing panic for a QB. In 13' if you watched the games you'd noticed he was mostly doubled and tripled teamed, and one reason why his production went down but still never got pushed back. If you are forced to have to double both Vince and McCuller then you are leaving both Nink and Jones on 1v1 situations and the LB's open space. I highly doubt other teams could run circles around that as you think. The biggest question with McCullers though is his stamina and if he can stay on the field. Not very effective if he gets winded every other play. But having someone of similar size (Vince) to help him keep in shape would go a long way. The kid flashes tons of potential but still needs to live up to it.

I think McCullers would be worth a shot in the 4th.  Definitely rare size.  I'm not going to pretend I've watched a lot of his film, because I have not.  I did see him play a few times, though, and saw him look pretty disruptive.  

I can understand how people can have that perspective, particularly if they rely solely on teh highlight vids on youtube or even draftbreakdown. In those, you don't get to see what the prospect does or doesn't get done in the rest of the snaps the team has played. 

I actually don't see him as must double team. In all his games this year, he got mostly single blocks. When doubled, the second blocker is just there with one arm on him, while looking for other rushers to block, just to redirect McCullers to the main blocker. 

The TEN DT who constantly got double teamed was #97, Hood - at 277 ibs is probaby too light to play DT in the NFL. 

I guess we all see different things when watching the same thing.

Regardless, I probably would support McCullers and want him to succeed, anyway, if he wore a Pats uni. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

And as an ND guy, I get Mayock for all NBC broadcasts... he's just very good at articulating the game.. and/or why a player is good/not good.

Yep, a bright, well spoken and great analyst of the more intricate parts of the game that devout followers can really enjoy...a knowlegeable dude to say the least.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I can understand how people can have that perspective, particularly if they rely solely on teh highlight vids on youtube or even draftbreakdown. In those, you don't get to see what the prospect does or doesn't get done in the rest of the snaps the team has played. 

I actually don't see him as must double team. In all his games this year, he got mostly single blocks. When doubled, the second blocker is just there with one arm on him, while looking for other rushers to block, just to redirect McCullers to the main blocker. 

The TEN DT who constantly got double teamed was #97, Hood - at 277 ibs is probaby too light to play DT in the NFL. 

Regardless, I probably would support McCullers and want him to succeed, anyway, if he wore a Pats uni. 

Wow Seattle, be a little more condescending why don't yea? Did you forget to read the parts where we both actually watched games of his and not just highlight video's? Appearently not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Wow Seattle, be a little more condescending why don't yea? Did you forget to read the parts where we both actually watched games of his and not just highlight video's? Appearently not.

It was not meant to be PE.

That post was in direct response to Wazzu's post. That statement you highlighted was not was not directed at you. It was a direct reaction to what Wazzu said -- that he has not seen a lot of film, and based on what he has seen, McCullers looks to be disruptive. All I said is I understand where he is coming from, if all he has seen are highlights. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Question to y'all...  For the longest time, the pats were not involved with any evaluation/ draft companies, but I think I read a year or two ago that they became involved with one. Do you know if it's true or not??

Secondly, unlike most here, I am looking to either push or replace Nink (I think he would be a nice reserve with all the packages used).  Who would you hope would be available that could add speed to the rush??   Please don't suggest that he's the best that they can get.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to fishers5's comment:

Question to y'all...  For the longest time, the pats were not involved with any evaluation/ draft companies, but I think I read a year or two ago that they became involved with one. Do you know if it's true or not??

Secondly, unlike most here, I am looking to either push or replace Nink (I think he would be a nice reserve with all the packages used).  Who would you hope would be available that could add speed to the rush??   Please don't suggest that he's the best that they can get.

Not 100% certain, but I believe NE is strictly in house and do not utilize a 3rd party scouting org.

I think Nink is a solid player, makes some plays for them, but I think most would agree that an injection of talent and athleticism on the edge is prob needed.  Buchanan is the wildcard, but there are a number of kids that could be potential targets withing the first (64) picks... Ealy, Attaochu, Ford, Crichton, Lawrence, Marcus Smith, Murphy etc... Shazier even offers some edge rush potential.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Not 100% certain, but I believe NE is strictly in house and do not utilize a 3rd party scouting org.

I think Nink is a solid player, makes some plays for them, but I think most would agree that an injection of talent and athleticism on the edge is prob needed.  Buchanan is the wildcard, but there are a number of kids that could be potential targets withing the first (64) picks... Ealy, Attaochu, Ford, Crichton, Lawrence, Marcus Smith, Murphy etc... Shazier even offers some edge rush potential.

At one point they did belong to an umbrella group but wanted more of their own "type' of player and related scouting reports that an umbrella group could provide...most teams nopw use their own scouts for detailed scouting reports..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/draft.php?d=nwbphh

There is a great mock draft generator on this page...you pick the team you wish to draft for, they have three "big boards" to use published by reputable sites and they have a generated pick for all other teams based on the big board rankings of the site you select...you can watch other selections leaving the big board and it pauses for you to take your next selection while you examine the players left on the big board...the results show immediately...loys of fun and useful for startegizing...you can do endless drafts...

Try it...it's lots of fun.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Trading up in the draft is often foolish and not what we expect of BB who loves to aquire value in multiple selection but....

If ever we could benefit from a top pick it would be this year, to maximize the addition of the best corner in the league we need to offset this with the best pass rush we can put on the field. Jones is legit and should be a monster given another year and another second to work with. He will be doubled as often as possible. We need a man opposite Jones that can wreak havoc. Nink is solid but not the guy. I do not see any other position on the roster that could put us over the edge from a good defense to a great one in the way that Mack or Clowney potentialy could.

Texans, Browns, Jags all might be willing to move back and also add a QB. With Mallet on the table we may have a package better than any other team looking to move up will offer. Browns and Texans both showed interest before and no one seems sold on this years crop of QB's, why drop back from the top of the draft only to hope to land the one you do want later in the round. A package of Mallet, 2014 1st, 2015 1st, 2014 2nd might be a place to start, we have seen more given up to get to the top but this year I don't think many teams covet being there so much. If one of these 3 teams take the trade they can then sit back the rest of the draft knowing they have there QB in pocket.

We might have more to gain in getting a top pass rusher than anyone else in the league.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

I just did a 4 round Mock @ fanspeaks.com The results are as follows: Louis Nix III @29, Austin Serefin Jenkins @62, Travis Swanson @ 93, Telvin Smith @ 130 and A.J. McCarron @ 140. I would have done a complete draft but I thought i would play GM for 4 rounds to see how it turned out. Of course I was trying to fill need positions. Now tell me would you all be happy with this draft?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:

I just did a 4 round Mock @ fanspeaks.com The results are as follows: Louis Nix III @29, Austin Serefin Jenkins @62, Travis Swanson @ 93, Telvin Smith @ 130 and A.J. McCarron @ 140. I would have done a complete draft but I thought i would play GM for 4 rounds to see how it turned out. Of course I was trying to fill need positions. Now tell me would you all be happy with this draft?

It's a pretty fun tool, have done a bunch on there... would be a damn good haul!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I would be thrilled with that draft, especially the first 2 picks.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

McCullers is a big dude, nothing more. He is NOT a football player. Terence Cody was by far a better football player -- i.e., NT -- in college than McCullers is/was. What has Cody done in the NFL?

McCullers with VW? forget it. I am pretty sure that is not the interior D we all have been wanting. No interior push. Predictable and static. What good is a wall when it's predictably stuck in one place so that the other side can run circles around it? 

Sorry, but I have watched so much college football, as in full games, not just highlights, this past year, I just can't understand the fascination.

Hey what do you know I have too and I'm telling you there is something there. You know I have a good track record when it comes to DL every year and McCullers has more than just an achor quality to him. He has good hand work and has great understanding of leverage for his size. He was dominant in 12', easily a top 3 NT in that year and had little trouble pushing the pocket back 3-4' at a time. Believe it or not that much can be effective in causing panic for a QB. In 13' if you watched the games you'd noticed he was mostly doubled and tripled teamed, and one reason why his production went down but still never got pushed back. If you are forced to have to double both Vince and McCuller then you are leaving both Nink and Jones on 1v1 situations and the LB's open space. I highly doubt other teams could run circles around that as you think. The biggest question with McCullers though is his stamina and if he can stay on the field. Not very effective if he gets winded every other play. But having someone of similar size (Vince) to help him keep in shape would go a long way. The kid flashes tons of potential but still needs to live up to it.

I think McCullers would be worth a shot in the 4th.  Definitely rare size.  I'm not going to pretend I've watched a lot of his film, because I have not.  I did see him play a few times, though, and saw him look pretty disruptive.  

I actually haven't even watched his highlight videos, just a few Tennessee games over the past couple of years.  He caught my eye quite a few times.  Looked really good on occasion, and I didn't notice him on others.  Like I said, I have not studied him much.  I'd be okay with BB using a 4th on him, though.  Insane size.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

It's a pretty fun tool, have done a bunch on there... would be a damn good haul!

Yeah I thought you might like the haul as a lot of your guys were available when the Patriots number came up. You wouldn't believe how many good players came off the board before 130 in the 4rth round. I did three 7 round drafts but I didn't like the results, all three times the first 2 rounds were exceptional, but after that mediocre players available.
    I liked this one the most as it covered every need minus a big WR. DT, TE, C, B/U QB and OLB/S. I didn't realize Smith was a SS. All props go to Mellmel3 for posting the sights tool for doing this draft.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Yeah I thought you might like the haul as a lot of your guys were available when the Patriots number came up. You wouldn't believe how many good players came off the board before 130 in the 4rth round. I did three 7 round drafts but I didn't like the results, all three times the first 2 rounds were exceptional, but after that mediocre players available.
    I liked this one the most as it covered every need minus a big WR. DT, TE, C, B/U QB and OLB/S. I didn't realize Smith was a SS. All props go to Mellmel3 for posting the sights tool for doing this draft.

Yeah, one of the boards had Telvin rated WAY too low, haha.

I have to give bred credit from my side, he's the one that originally told me about it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Haven't seen too many be on Jeffcoat's bus, he's not a finished product but very productive good 3cone guy as well as 40.  Experience as LB and DE, his speed around the corner blows away nink.  

He's not a 4 down kid right now, needs to get better against the run but as a rotation speed rusher or stand up blitzer, I don't know many that can match his speed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Very nice indeed...it's alot of fun...and pretty fast...we can all be Kevin Costner for the day...but, unfortunately, without Jennifer Garner!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:

Haven't seen too many be on Jeffcoat's bus, he's not a finished product but very productive good 3cone guy as well as 40.  Experience as LB and DE, his speed around the corner blows away nink.  

He's not a 4 down kid right now, needs to get better against the run but as a rotation speed rusher or stand up blitzer, I don't know many that can match his speed.

I really really like that kid. Low key but very productive. And productive in a good way. He actually work hard to get his TFLs and sacks (Unlike that kid from Texas a few years ago, who got his numbers because for some reason he found himself having a clear path to the QB a lot from blown blocking assignments.) At the range that Jeffcoat will be picked, I think a lot of Marcus Smith for DE, but I actually like Jeffcoat just as much. Jeffcoat actually has better agility than Smith. 

I can't seem to pin down his height. I have seen him listed as 6-3, but I have also seen him listed at 6-5. On TV he looks to be on the longer side. 

As you said, he's unfinsihed. So is Smith. The difference for me now is that of the games I have seen of the two, I thought Smith used his hands/arms better than Jeffcoat. I also have seen Smith bullrush more effectively. On the other hand that also suggests that Jeffcoat might have a higher upside.

Sections
Shortcuts