***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

I can understand how people can have that perspective, particularly if they rely solely on teh highlight vids on youtube or even draftbreakdown. In those, you don't get to see what the prospect does or doesn't get done in the rest of the snaps the team has played. 

I actually don't see him as must double team. In all his games this year, he got mostly single blocks. When doubled, the second blocker is just there with one arm on him, while looking for other rushers to block, just to redirect McCullers to the main blocker. 

The TEN DT who constantly got double teamed was #97, Hood - at 277 ibs is probaby too light to play DT in the NFL. 

I guess we all see different things when watching the same thing.

Regardless, I probably would support McCullers and want him to succeed, anyway, if he wore a Pats uni. 

Wow Seattle, be a little more condescending why don't yea? Did you forget to read the parts where we both actually watched games of his and not just highlight video's? Appearently not.

It was not meant to be PE.

That post was in direct response to Wazzu's post. That statement you highlighted was not was not directed at you. It was a direct reaction to what Wazzu said -- that he has not seen a lot of film, and based on what he has seen, McCullers looks to be disruptive. All I said is I understand where he is coming from, if all he has seen are highlights. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Question to y'all...  For the longest time, the pats were not involved with any evaluation/ draft companies, but I think I read a year or two ago that they became involved with one. Do you know if it's true or not??

Secondly, unlike most here, I am looking to either push or replace Nink (I think he would be a nice reserve with all the packages used).  Who would you hope would be available that could add speed to the rush??   Please don't suggest that he's the best that they can get.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to fishers5's comment:

Question to y'all...  For the longest time, the pats were not involved with any evaluation/ draft companies, but I think I read a year or two ago that they became involved with one. Do you know if it's true or not??

Secondly, unlike most here, I am looking to either push or replace Nink (I think he would be a nice reserve with all the packages used).  Who would you hope would be available that could add speed to the rush??   Please don't suggest that he's the best that they can get.

Not 100% certain, but I believe NE is strictly in house and do not utilize a 3rd party scouting org.

I think Nink is a solid player, makes some plays for them, but I think most would agree that an injection of talent and athleticism on the edge is prob needed.  Buchanan is the wildcard, but there are a number of kids that could be potential targets withing the first (64) picks... Ealy, Attaochu, Ford, Crichton, Lawrence, Marcus Smith, Murphy etc... Shazier even offers some edge rush potential.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Not 100% certain, but I believe NE is strictly in house and do not utilize a 3rd party scouting org.

I think Nink is a solid player, makes some plays for them, but I think most would agree that an injection of talent and athleticism on the edge is prob needed.  Buchanan is the wildcard, but there are a number of kids that could be potential targets withing the first (64) picks... Ealy, Attaochu, Ford, Crichton, Lawrence, Marcus Smith, Murphy etc... Shazier even offers some edge rush potential.

At one point they did belong to an umbrella group but wanted more of their own "type' of player and related scouting reports that an umbrella group could provide...most teams nopw use their own scouts for detailed scouting reports..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/draft.php?d=nwbphh

There is a great mock draft generator on this page...you pick the team you wish to draft for, they have three "big boards" to use published by reputable sites and they have a generated pick for all other teams based on the big board rankings of the site you select...you can watch other selections leaving the big board and it pauses for you to take your next selection while you examine the players left on the big board...the results show immediately...loys of fun and useful for startegizing...you can do endless drafts...

Try it...it's lots of fun.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Trading up in the draft is often foolish and not what we expect of BB who loves to aquire value in multiple selection but....

If ever we could benefit from a top pick it would be this year, to maximize the addition of the best corner in the league we need to offset this with the best pass rush we can put on the field. Jones is legit and should be a monster given another year and another second to work with. He will be doubled as often as possible. We need a man opposite Jones that can wreak havoc. Nink is solid but not the guy. I do not see any other position on the roster that could put us over the edge from a good defense to a great one in the way that Mack or Clowney potentialy could.

Texans, Browns, Jags all might be willing to move back and also add a QB. With Mallet on the table we may have a package better than any other team looking to move up will offer. Browns and Texans both showed interest before and no one seems sold on this years crop of QB's, why drop back from the top of the draft only to hope to land the one you do want later in the round. A package of Mallet, 2014 1st, 2015 1st, 2014 2nd might be a place to start, we have seen more given up to get to the top but this year I don't think many teams covet being there so much. If one of these 3 teams take the trade they can then sit back the rest of the draft knowing they have there QB in pocket.

We might have more to gain in getting a top pass rusher than anyone else in the league.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

I just did a 4 round Mock @ fanspeaks.com The results are as follows: Louis Nix III @29, Austin Serefin Jenkins @62, Travis Swanson @ 93, Telvin Smith @ 130 and A.J. McCarron @ 140. I would have done a complete draft but I thought i would play GM for 4 rounds to see how it turned out. Of course I was trying to fill need positions. Now tell me would you all be happy with this draft?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:

I just did a 4 round Mock @ fanspeaks.com The results are as follows: Louis Nix III @29, Austin Serefin Jenkins @62, Travis Swanson @ 93, Telvin Smith @ 130 and A.J. McCarron @ 140. I would have done a complete draft but I thought i would play GM for 4 rounds to see how it turned out. Of course I was trying to fill need positions. Now tell me would you all be happy with this draft?

It's a pretty fun tool, have done a bunch on there... would be a damn good haul!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I would be thrilled with that draft, especially the first 2 picks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

McCullers is a big dude, nothing more. He is NOT a football player. Terence Cody was by far a better football player -- i.e., NT -- in college than McCullers is/was. What has Cody done in the NFL?

McCullers with VW? forget it. I am pretty sure that is not the interior D we all have been wanting. No interior push. Predictable and static. What good is a wall when it's predictably stuck in one place so that the other side can run circles around it? 

Sorry, but I have watched so much college football, as in full games, not just highlights, this past year, I just can't understand the fascination.

Hey what do you know I have too and I'm telling you there is something there. You know I have a good track record when it comes to DL every year and McCullers has more than just an achor quality to him. He has good hand work and has great understanding of leverage for his size. He was dominant in 12', easily a top 3 NT in that year and had little trouble pushing the pocket back 3-4' at a time. Believe it or not that much can be effective in causing panic for a QB. In 13' if you watched the games you'd noticed he was mostly doubled and tripled teamed, and one reason why his production went down but still never got pushed back. If you are forced to have to double both Vince and McCuller then you are leaving both Nink and Jones on 1v1 situations and the LB's open space. I highly doubt other teams could run circles around that as you think. The biggest question with McCullers though is his stamina and if he can stay on the field. Not very effective if he gets winded every other play. But having someone of similar size (Vince) to help him keep in shape would go a long way. The kid flashes tons of potential but still needs to live up to it.

I think McCullers would be worth a shot in the 4th.  Definitely rare size.  I'm not going to pretend I've watched a lot of his film, because I have not.  I did see him play a few times, though, and saw him look pretty disruptive.  

I can understand how people can have that perspective, particularly if they rely solely on teh highlight vids on youtube or even draftbreakdown. In those, you don't get to see what the prospect does or doesn't get done in the rest of the snaps the team has played. 

I actually don't see him as must double team. In all his games this year, he got mostly single blocks. When doubled, the second blocker is just there with one arm on him, while looking for other rushers to block, just to redirect McCullers to the main blocker. 

The TEN DT who constantly got double teamed was #97, Hood - at 277 ibs is probaby too light to play DT in the NFL. 

I guess we all see different things when watching the same thing.

Regardless, I probably would support McCullers and want him to succeed, anyway, if he wore a Pats uni. 

I actually haven't even watched his highlight videos, just a few Tennessee games over the past couple of years.  He caught my eye quite a few times.  Looked really good on occasion, and I didn't notice him on others.  Like I said, I have not studied him much.  I'd be okay with BB using a 4th on him, though.  Insane size.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

It's a pretty fun tool, have done a bunch on there... would be a damn good haul!

Yeah I thought you might like the haul as a lot of your guys were available when the Patriots number came up. You wouldn't believe how many good players came off the board before 130 in the 4rth round. I did three 7 round drafts but I didn't like the results, all three times the first 2 rounds were exceptional, but after that mediocre players available.
    I liked this one the most as it covered every need minus a big WR. DT, TE, C, B/U QB and OLB/S. I didn't realize Smith was a SS. All props go to Mellmel3 for posting the sights tool for doing this draft.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Yeah I thought you might like the haul as a lot of your guys were available when the Patriots number came up. You wouldn't believe how many good players came off the board before 130 in the 4rth round. I did three 7 round drafts but I didn't like the results, all three times the first 2 rounds were exceptional, but after that mediocre players available.
    I liked this one the most as it covered every need minus a big WR. DT, TE, C, B/U QB and OLB/S. I didn't realize Smith was a SS. All props go to Mellmel3 for posting the sights tool for doing this draft.

Yeah, one of the boards had Telvin rated WAY too low, haha.

I have to give bred credit from my side, he's the one that originally told me about it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Haven't seen too many be on Jeffcoat's bus, he's not a finished product but very productive good 3cone guy as well as 40.  Experience as LB and DE, his speed around the corner blows away nink.  

He's not a 4 down kid right now, needs to get better against the run but as a rotation speed rusher or stand up blitzer, I don't know many that can match his speed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Very nice indeed...it's alot of fun...and pretty fast...we can all be Kevin Costner for the day...but, unfortunately, without Jennifer Garner!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:

Haven't seen too many be on Jeffcoat's bus, he's not a finished product but very productive good 3cone guy as well as 40.  Experience as LB and DE, his speed around the corner blows away nink.  

He's not a 4 down kid right now, needs to get better against the run but as a rotation speed rusher or stand up blitzer, I don't know many that can match his speed.

I really really like that kid. Low key but very productive. And productive in a good way. He actually work hard to get his TFLs and sacks (Unlike that kid from Texas a few years ago, who got his numbers because for some reason he found himself having a clear path to the QB a lot from blown blocking assignments.) At the range that Jeffcoat will be picked, I think a lot of Marcus Smith for DE, but I actually like Jeffcoat just as much. Jeffcoat actually has better agility than Smith. 

I can't seem to pin down his height. I have seen him listed as 6-3, but I have also seen him listed at 6-5. On TV he looks to be on the longer side. 

As you said, he's unfinsihed. So is Smith. The difference for me now is that of the games I have seen of the two, I thought Smith used his hands/arms better than Jeffcoat. I also have seen Smith bullrush more effectively. On the other hand that also suggests that Jeffcoat might have a higher upside.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I really really like that kid. Low key but very productive. And productive in a good way. He actually work hard to get his TFLs and sacks (Unlike that kid from Texas a few years ago, who got his numbers because for some reason he found himself having a clear path to the QB a lot from blown blocking assignments.) At the range that Jeffcoat will be picked, I think a lot of Marcus Smith for DE, but I actually like Jeffcoat just as much. Jeffcoat actually has better agility than Smith. 

I can't seem to pin down his height. I have seen him listed as 6-3, but I have also seen him listed at 6-5. On TV he looks to be on the longer side. 

As you said, he's unfinsihed. So is Smith. The difference for me now is that of the games I have seen of the two, I thought Smith used his hands/arms better than Jeffcoat. I also have seen Smith bullrush more effectively. On the other hand that also suggests that Jeffcoat might have a higher upside.

Looks like Jeffcoat was 6-3 247 at the Combine.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

That's what I've seen on NFL.com cobine info and other sites.  He and smith similar size both about 6'3" smith a few lbs heavier at 251 to 247 from Jeffcoat.

The difference is movement and bending around that edge, I think Jeffcoat is smoother, faster and has loose hips.  Smith is a little stiff coming around.  Both have experience in coverage, I be happy with either but I think Jeffcoat brings more upside.  Him and collins on a blitz off same side no way both are blocked, too much speed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

http://nesn.com/2014/04/report-kelvin-benjamin-skipped-draft-workout-wide-receiver-was-tired/

wink wink with pats? Lol, they say he will drop now. I hope we take him with our first. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from minnypat. Show minnypat's posts

You can lay all the cliches on Jackson....he's a sleeper guy, he's a boom or bust guy, etc.

Bottom line is he has talent but also played under the worse coach (MAck Brown) and coaching staff in college ball. Jackson is a guy who might respond to a different and more purposeful environment. You'd have to look at him with our 3rd but there will hopefully be four or five guys there that I want more. Jeffcoat would be a great 4th round pick if he fell.

But he's also the kind of guy  BB could "reach" for in the 2nd a la Tevon Wilson and leave us all scratching our heads.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Isn't Jeffcoat the brother of a former Dallas Cowboy?...he's a darned good player IMHO....

If Bredbu gave you the nod on the draft generator, all power and glory to him...it's  a great "what if" tool...

I ran 6  seven rounders, 2 with each different Big Boards.....

Yes, each board has many different players rated in different rounds...it's kinda crazy in that respect, but it also reflects the personal biases of each complier of the big boards, so it tends to even out the more iterations you run...

The biggest take away from this draft, for the NE Pats where we are drafting, is:

IT"S A DEEEEP DRAFT....all the way to the end...

This would be a great year to trade down and grab an extra 5...you watch the talent coming off the board and your eyes get wide open when you see what we lose out on for not having that extra pick!...Moving to the beginning of Rd. 2 in a trade for our Rd. 1 pick wouldn't hurt at all given what's available and what we need...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

Isn't Jeffcoat the brother of a former Dallas Cowboy?...he's a darned good player IMHO....

If Bredbu gave you the nod on the draft generator, all power and glory to him...it's  a great "what if" tool...

Yes, each board has many different players rated in different rounds...it's kinda crazy in that respect, but it also reflects the personal biases of each complier of the big boards, so it tends to even out the more iterations you run...

The biggest take away from this draft, for the NE Pats where we are drafting, is:

This would be a great year to trade down and grab an extra 5...you watch the talent coming off the board and your eyes get wide open when you see what we lose out on for not having that extra pick!...Moving to the beginning of Rd. 2 in a trade for our Rd. 1 pick wouldn't hurt at all given what's available and what we need...

Yo ain't kiddin'!  It's crazy how much talent is available this year, in comparison to last year!  

I've struggled with putting my own mock together because there are so many players that I want in each round, ha.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

DEEP DRAFT, YES.

1) IMO that explains why there is so much variance on big boards. The talent level is pretty even between 40 and 100. You could focus more on fit, and positions that cost more in FA and not worry about picking too high. 

2) CAVEAT... Draft is deep but not in all positions. Probably good to wait til later to draft WR, and IMO OL. LB I believe is not deep at all for the kind that the Pats would need.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Yo ain't kiddin'!  It's crazy how much talent is available this year, in comparison to last year!  

I've struggled with putting my own mock together because there are so many players that I want in each round, ha.

It's freefin' frackin' crazy loaded...you have the equivalent of three rounds worth of underclassmen in this years draft because of the new change in minimum rookie contract length increasing by one year in the next draft...these guys understand that most drafted players never see a second contract...that last new year can be the difference between 5 million in an upfront payment and a career ending injury.....it's a big deal for most of these underclassmen....

It also means next year's draft ain't so hot...which is why I'm not very worried about only having 5 picks next year...the latter rounds will be awful...BB knows this...he's a sly fox...which is why I'm sure he's going to trade down and pick up more picks unless someone he REALLY wants slides down to 29!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

I posted this on another thread.

http://first-pick.com/

For those of you that like to conduct trades with your mock.

Very addictive!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I have to run out for a few hours and was thinking once I come back to put together an all O mock and an all D mock just for heck of it.  Any takers?

• Sections
    Shortcuts