***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

In response to Pats7393's comment:

Haven't seen too many be on Jeffcoat's bus, he's not a finished product but very productive good 3cone guy as well as 40.  Experience as LB and DE, his speed around the corner blows away nink.  

He's not a 4 down kid right now, needs to get better against the run but as a rotation speed rusher or stand up blitzer, I don't know many that can match his speed.

I really really like that kid. Low key but very productive. And productive in a good way. He actually work hard to get his TFLs and sacks (Unlike that kid from Texas a few years ago, who got his numbers because for some reason he found himself having a clear path to the QB a lot from blown blocking assignments.) At the range that Jeffcoat will be picked, I think a lot of Marcus Smith for DE, but I actually like Jeffcoat just as much. Jeffcoat actually has better agility than Smith. 

I can't seem to pin down his height. I have seen him listed as 6-3, but I have also seen him listed at 6-5. On TV he looks to be on the longer side. 

As you said, he's unfinsihed. So is Smith. The difference for me now is that of the games I have seen of the two, I thought Smith used his hands/arms better than Jeffcoat. I also have seen Smith bullrush more effectively. On the other hand that also suggests that Jeffcoat might have a higher upside.

Looks like Jeffcoat was 6-3 247 at the Combine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Haven't seen too many be on Jeffcoat's bus, he's not a finished product but very productive good 3cone guy as well as 40.  Experience as LB and DE, his speed around the corner blows away nink.  

He's not a 4 down kid right now, needs to get better against the run but as a rotation speed rusher or stand up blitzer, I don't know many that can match his speed.

I really really like that kid. Low key but very productive. And productive in a good way. He actually work hard to get his TFLs and sacks (Unlike that kid from Texas a few years ago, who got his numbers because for some reason he found himself having a clear path to the QB a lot from blown blocking assignments.) At the range that Jeffcoat will be picked, I think a lot of Marcus Smith for DE, but I actually like Jeffcoat just as much. Jeffcoat actually has better agility than Smith. 

I can't seem to pin down his height. I have seen him listed as 6-3, but I have also seen him listed at 6-5. On TV he looks to be on the longer side. 

As you said, he's unfinsihed. So is Smith. The difference for me now is that of the games I have seen of the two, I thought Smith used his hands/arms better than Jeffcoat. I also have seen Smith bullrush more effectively. On the other hand that also suggests that Jeffcoat might have a higher upside.

That's what I've seen on NFL.com cobine info and other sites.  He and smith similar size both about 6'3" smith a few lbs heavier at 251 to 247 from Jeffcoat.

The difference is movement and bending around that edge, I think Jeffcoat is smoother, faster and has loose hips.  Smith is a little stiff coming around.  Both have experience in coverage, I be happy with either but I think Jeffcoat brings more upside.  Him and collins on a blitz off same side no way both are blocked, too much speed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

http://nesn.com/2014/04/report-kelvin-benjamin-skipped-draft-workout-wide-receiver-was-tired/

wink wink with pats? Lol, they say he will drop now. I hope we take him with our first. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from minnypat. Show minnypat's posts

You can lay all the cliches on Jackson....he's a sleeper guy, he's a boom or bust guy, etc.

Bottom line is he has talent but also played under the worse coach (MAck Brown) and coaching staff in college ball. Jackson is a guy who might respond to a different and more purposeful environment. You'd have to look at him with our 3rd but there will hopefully be four or five guys there that I want more. Jeffcoat would be a great 4th round pick if he fell.

But he's also the kind of guy  BB could "reach" for in the 2nd a la Tevon Wilson and leave us all scratching our heads.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Isn't Jeffcoat the brother of a former Dallas Cowboy?...he's a darned good player IMHO....

If Bredbu gave you the nod on the draft generator, all power and glory to him...it's  a great "what if" tool...

I ran 6  seven rounders, 2 with each different Big Boards.....

Yes, each board has many different players rated in different rounds...it's kinda crazy in that respect, but it also reflects the personal biases of each complier of the big boards, so it tends to even out the more iterations you run...

The biggest take away from this draft, for the NE Pats where we are drafting, is:

IT"S A DEEEEP DRAFT....all the way to the end...

This would be a great year to trade down and grab an extra 5...you watch the talent coming off the board and your eyes get wide open when you see what we lose out on for not having that extra pick!...Moving to the beginning of Rd. 2 in a trade for our Rd. 1 pick wouldn't hurt at all given what's available and what we need...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

Isn't Jeffcoat the brother of a former Dallas Cowboy?...he's a darned good player IMHO....

If Bredbu gave you the nod on the draft generator, all power and glory to him...it's  a great "what if" tool...

Yes, each board has many different players rated in different rounds...it's kinda crazy in that respect, but it also reflects the personal biases of each complier of the big boards, so it tends to even out the more iterations you run...

The biggest take away from this draft, for the NE Pats where we are drafting, is:

This would be a great year to trade down and grab an extra 5...you watch the talent coming off the board and your eyes get wide open when you see what we lose out on for not having that extra pick!...Moving to the beginning of Rd. 2 in a trade for our Rd. 1 pick wouldn't hurt at all given what's available and what we need...

Yo ain't kiddin'!  It's crazy how much talent is available this year, in comparison to last year!  

I've struggled with putting my own mock together because there are so many players that I want in each round, ha.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

DEEP DRAFT, YES.

1) IMO that explains why there is so much variance on big boards. The talent level is pretty even between 40 and 100. You could focus more on fit, and positions that cost more in FA and not worry about picking too high. 

2) CAVEAT... Draft is deep but not in all positions. Probably good to wait til later to draft WR, and IMO OL. LB I believe is not deep at all for the kind that the Pats would need.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Yo ain't kiddin'!  It's crazy how much talent is available this year, in comparison to last year!  

I've struggled with putting my own mock together because there are so many players that I want in each round, ha.

It's freefin' frackin' crazy loaded...you have the equivalent of three rounds worth of underclassmen in this years draft because of the new change in minimum rookie contract length increasing by one year in the next draft...these guys understand that most drafted players never see a second contract...that last new year can be the difference between 5 million in an upfront payment and a career ending injury.....it's a big deal for most of these underclassmen....

It also means next year's draft ain't so hot...which is why I'm not very worried about only having 5 picks next year...the latter rounds will be awful...BB knows this...he's a sly fox...which is why I'm sure he's going to trade down and pick up more picks unless someone he REALLY wants slides down to 29!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

I posted this on another thread.

http://first-pick.com/

For those of you that like to conduct trades with your mock.

Very addictive!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I have to run out for a few hours and was thinking once I come back to put together an all O mock and an all D mock just for heck of it.  Any takers?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4761413/duron-harmon-next-man-up-at-safety?ex_cid=espnapi_public

If Harmon plays at 210lbs that would be a good enforcer in back end.  I'm rooting for this kid big time.  Just seems to get it, been at the gillett training all offseason!  Can't wait to see him next season.

DEEP DRAFT, YES.

1) IMO that explains why there is so much variance on big boards. The talent level is pretty even between 40 and 100. You could focus more on fit, and positions that cost more in FA and not worry about picking too high. 

2) CAVEAT... Draft is deep but not in all positions. Probably good to wait til later to draft WR, and IMO OL. LB I believe is not deep at all for the kind that the Pats would need.

Agreed...deep, but not in every position!

•  

I have to run out for a few hours and was thinking once I come back to put together an all O mock and an all D mock just for heck of it.  Any takers?

I'm down!

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

I posted this on another thread.

http://first-pick.com/

For those of you that like to conduct trades with your mock.

Very addictive!

I used the site...lmao...this thing is a trip and a half...I ended up with 12 selections by trading back...hilarious...did well, lots of talent...great site!

http://first-pick.com/NFL/DraftGame.aspx

Thanks again man!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kezzamuzza. Show kezzamuzza's posts

MB and other Gurus

Would like to draw your attention to a very illuminating article in Pats Pulpit by Richard Hill.

He outlines the offensive line and running back situation with the Pats particularly in yards per carry in short yardage situations.

Sammy Morris in 2008 Maroney was injured shows up best. Kevin Faulk does in converting third downs.

However the graph shows the differences and he relates that to our OL personnel.

The difference is from the decline of Koppen and Neal and the upside in 2011 is the presence of  Brian Waters. Look at the DECLINE since. Now the interior line is virtually  the worst in BB's era.

If Connolly and Wendell are our best how are we going to change the downward slide on that graph? 

This sends out a massive red flag to me also for keeping Brady upright as if he is injured you can all take holidays early.

With that in mind it is imperative we improve those positions and find a particular running back to take advantage of those situations.

I think I am changing from LB for pick 29 in the draft now.

Any suggestions??? Thoughts.

In response to kezzamuzza's comment:

MB and other Gurus

Would like to draw your attention to a very illuminating article in Pats Pulpit by Richard Hill.

He outlines the offensive line and running back situation with the Pats particularly in yards per carry in short yardage situations.

Sammy Morris in 2008 Maroney was injured shows up best. Kevin Faulk does in converting third downs.

However the graph shows the differences and he relates that to our OL personnel.

The difference is from the decline of Koppen and Neal and the upside in 2011 is the presence of  Brian Waters. Look at the DECLINE since. Now the interior line is virtually  the worst in BB's era.

If Connolly and Wendell are our best how are we going to change the downward slide on that graph? 

This sends out a massive red flag to me also for keeping Brady upright as if he is injured you can all take holidays early.

With that in mind it is imperative we improve those positions and find a particular running back to take advantage of those situations.

The huge DT has come into vogue in the NFL in the last 7-10 years...with that, 300 pound or less O Linemen are going to be extinct...you can use technique on pass protection but only to a degree...if the DT's are both strong and athletic (fast and quick) they will simply walk the interior O Linemen back into the QB or disrupt the beginning of running plays (pulls, trap blocks, even zone blocking)....our interior O Linemen have to get bigger, more athletic and stronger to match up with the behemoths...Good-bye Wendell and hopefully Connoly moves to Center, maybe moving Cannon (6-5, 335) to RG next to Sea Bass...in the long term, we have to start drafting some atlhletic big men at OG and OC...imho

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:

I just did a 4 round Mock @ fanspeaks.com The results are as follows: Louis Nix III @29, Austin Serefin Jenkins @62, Travis Swanson @ 93, Telvin Smith @ 130 and A.J. McCarron @ 140. I would have done a complete draft but I thought i would play GM for 4 rounds to see how it turned out. Of course I was trying to fill need positions. Now tell me would you all be happy with this draft?

Very nice indeed...it's alot of fun...and pretty fast...we can all be Kevin Costner for the day...but, unfortunately, without Jennifer Garner!

Yeah it's fast but I think you can manipulate it in your favor. I'll try a seven round draft later.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

MB and other Gurus

The huge DT has come into vogue in the NFL in the last 7-10 years...with that, 300 pound or less O Linemen are going to be extinct...you can use technique on pass protection but only to a degree...if the DT's are both strong and athletic (fast and quick) they will simply walk the interior O Linemen back into the QB or disrupt the beginning of running plays (pulls, trap blocks, even zone blocking)....our interior O Linemen have to get bigger, more athletic and stronger to match up with the behemoths...Good-bye Wendell and hopefully Connoly moves to Center, maybe moving Cannon (6-5, 335) to RG next to Sea Bass...in the long term, we have to start drafting some atlhletic big men at OG and OC...imho

Not only huge... there's huge DTs who just clog lanes. Over the past few years, we've seen huge DTs who can push the line or penetrate. 

To me even could be upgraded, albeit not the most pressing upgrade need. He ahs the size, but I do not think he has the requisite nastiness. Gabe Jackson is a nasty version of Cannon (2 inches shorter).

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

I'm a little nervous with Wendell as our center. Since 07', our playoff losses ofter have correlated with Brady getting pressured up the middle. Even our loss to Denver, the interior of the OL struggled.

MB and other Gurus

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Here's my full 7 round draft: C.J. Moseley ILB, Cyril Richardson G, Kelcy Quarles DT, C.J. Fiedorowicz TE, Tyler Larsen C, Tom Savage QB, Kevin Pierre-Louis OLB, Kevin Norwood WR.

This is even better than my 4 round draft from yesterday!

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:

I'm a little nervous with Wendell as our center. Since 07', our playoff losses ofter have correlated with Brady getting pressured up the middle. Even our loss to Denver, the interior of the OL struggled.

Pressure up the middle is not just an OL thing. Teams know that TB is not a threat to run even a few yards down the middle. He used to be able to get a few critical first downs with his legs, and opposing Ds had to play more honest then that they do now.

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:

Pressure up the middle is not just an OL thing. Teams know that TB is not a threat to run even a few yards down the middle. He used to be able to get a few critical first downs with his legs, and opposing Ds had to play more honest then that they do now.

Agreed...the Pats have a little more to deal with because TB's sole liability is his lack of mobility since his knee injury

Here's my full 7 round draft: C.J. Moseley ILB, Cyril Richardson G, Kelcy Quarles DT, C.J. Fiedorowicz TE, Tyler Larsen C, Tom Savage QB, Kevin Pierre-Louis OLB, Kevin Norwood WR.

When you run the 7 rounder a few times and change up some selections early, you start to realize just how deep the draft this year is...

When you run the 7 rounder a few times and change up some selections early, you start to realize just how deep the draft this year is...

I also found out that if I take certain positions first it changes the upcoming selections, hey but that's exactly how a draft works. I found by taking Defensive players in the first round my other selections are more palatable. I'll run a few more to see what happens.

I also found out that if I take certain positions first it changes the upcoming selections, hey but that's exactly how a draft works. I found by taking Defensive players in the first round my other selections are more palatable. I'll run a few more to see what happens.

That sounds logical if the simulator is setup to reflect that there is relatively more depth on the O side.

• Sections
    Shortcuts