***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I want them to take the best players available and I think Pryor would be just that, if he were to make it to #29... which I don't think he will.  

[/QUOTE]

I agree and don't agree with the BPA philosphy. Personally I want the BPA that will make the most impact and fits the team best. Right now given the secondary and given the front 7 pass rush, imo the pass rush would be the bigger impact. So, if a player who can come in and start right away on the DL and enhance or pass rush is available I would put them priority over Pryor even if individually Pryor is the better player. But, if the difference is vast (ie D. Jones vs Pryor) then you have to get Pryor at that point. But, S isn't as big of a need for me at this point vs TE or DL. If DL or TE was deeper this year I would wait and grab Pryor however, both are shallow with a small handful of good players upfront then the rest is a major drop off after the first 4-5 people.

[/QUOTE]

Good post.  I agree.  I think that it is likely that the BPA at 29 will in fact be a TE/DT/LB or DE.  I'm quite confident that BB will be able to land a very good player at that point that will fill a need for the team.  Nix/Tuitt/Hageman/Attaochu/Ford/Shazier/Mosely/ASJ/Niklas/etc could all potentially be there, and could all potentialy be considered the BPA depending on how they are being evaluated.  Pryor will be long gone, IMO, so comparing him is kind of a mute point, but I see what you are saying.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I would like to see Tuitt in round 1 and either a very good interior O lineman if one is there or a good LB in round 2. While I would also like a good TE I am not convinced that any of the ones that will be available are good enough not to wait till round 3 for the TE.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

You know the more I think about Easley the less I want him. Beyond talented player but major injures to both knees and nagging injures plagued his college career. I have a bad feeling BB will look at him and say well there's a 1st round draft pick I can get in the late 2nd-3rd range so I don't need to get one early, and not both to think about those injures (ala Ras-I and Gronk). That kind of scares me. If Easley is the 2nd DT you pick up say in the back of the 4th or later as a gamble player but one you don't have to count on, great sign me up. But if they draft him in the 2nd or 3rd as the guy they get at DT because the value was there without thinking of the risk that he might never play a full season or have a short career then I'll hate that pick. I've come down off the fence with Easley thinking, nice gamble pick in the mid rounds if he's a 2nd pick at the position but not someone I want as the primary pick you are hoping will be a special starter you got for a bargain.

Also watching some more film on him, he's a 1 gap shooter. Not sure how that would fit with BB's philosphy of normal DT's being 2 gaps assignment guys. Nix, Hageman, and Tuitt all seem like more BB's natural fit than Donald, Easley, or Hart at this point

Additionally, what do you guys think of Gardner. Showed a bunch of potential before his pect injury. Might drop a couple rounds further than he should because of it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

You know the more I think about Easley the less I want him. Beyond talented player but major injures to both knees and nagging injures plagued his college career. I have a bad feeling BB will look at him and say well there's a 1st round draft pick I can get in the late 2nd-3rd range so I don't need to get one early, and not both to think about those injures (ala Ras-I and Gronk). That kind of scares me. If Easley is the 2nd DT you pick up say in the back of the 4th or later as a gamble player but one you don't have to count on, great sign me up. But if they draft him in the 2nd or 3rd as the guy they get at DT because the value was there without thinking of the risk that he might never play a full season or have a short career then I'll hate that pick. I've come down off the fence with Easley thinking, nice gamble pick in the mid rounds if he's a 2nd pick at the position but not someone I want as the primary pick you are hoping will be a special starter you got for a bargain.

Also watching some more film on him, he's a 1 gap shooter. Not sure how that would fit with BB's philosphy of normal DT's being 2 gaps assignment guys. Nix, Hageman, and Tuitt all seem like more BB's natural fit than Donald, Easley, or Hart at this point

Additionally, what do you guys think of Gardner. Showed a bunch of potential before his pect injury. Might drop a couple rounds further than he should because of it.

[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more about Easley.  I've been saying for weeks that BB needs to stay away.  Those injuries are serious red flags.  We don't need another Dowling.  Yeah, if he slid into Day 3, go for it.  But not in the 1st, 2nd, or even the 3rd, IMO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ben Gardner?  Tough, short-armed, blue collar type end that could be nice on Day 3.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm in the minority here.....but I'm not sure I would take Calvin Pryor in the 1st.

He lays the wood with some frequency, but so did Brandon Merryweather.

I'd rather take my chances with Harmon and use that pick on something else.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this sentiment.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I want them to take the best players available and I think Pryor would be just that, if he were to make it to #29... which I don't think he will.  

[/QUOTE]

I agree and don't agree with the BPA philosphy. Personally I want the BPA that will make the most impact and fits the team best. Right now given the secondary and given the front 7 pass rush, imo the pass rush would be the bigger impact. So, if a player who can come in and start right away on the DL and enhance or pass rush is available I would put them priority over Pryor even if individually Pryor is the better player. But, if the difference is vast (ie D. Jones vs Pryor) then you have to get Pryor at that point. But, S isn't as big of a need for me at this point vs TE or DL. If DL or TE was deeper this year I would wait and grab Pryor however, both are shallow with a small handful of good players upfront then the rest is a major drop off after the first 4-5 people.

[/QUOTE]

S is quite top heavy and shallow as well ... after Pryor, Haha, Ward and maybe Bucannon, there is drop off.

Again, at the end of the day I think the argument is moot because none of us really expect Pryor to be available at 29.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

S is quite top heavy and shallow as well ... after Pryor, Haha, Ward and maybe Bucannon, there is drop off.

Again, at the end of the day I think the argument is moot because none of us really expect Pryor to be available at 29.

[/QUOTE]

Yep moot but I still see Exum as a potential steal at SS if you give him time to develop (thinking 2 years) so I see a nice out there and you have the players to give him that cushion to develop. I don't see that same cushion with DT or TE so that's just why they are my personal choice 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yep moot but I still see Exum as a potential steal at SS if you give him time to develop (thinking 2 years) so I see a nice out there and you have the players to give him that cushion to develop. I don't see that same cushion with DT or TE so that's just why they are my personal choice 

[/QUOTE]

Could say the same thing about Urban or even a Stinson, IMO.  I think Urban is pretty underrated by most publications.

I'm still hoping they target front 7 (or should I say front 4... I like them targeting LB more than you do) or Kelvin Benjamin in Rd 1... don't really see a true TE outside of Ebron that I like in that range and that includes Niklas, ASJ and Amaro.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Could say the same thing about Urban or even a Stinson, IMO.  I think Urban is pretty underrated by most publications.

I'm still hoping they target front 7 (where we agree) or Kelvin Benjamin in Rd 1... don't really see a true TE outside of Ebron that I like in that range and that includes Niklas, ASJ and Amaro.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm not seeing a TE I'd spend a 1st on either. CJ or Niklas in the 2nd, by all means but none in the 1st. I want to go front 7 in the 1st and more preferably front 4. I'm just not seeing a lot of LB's I'd spend a 1st on either. Not overall impressed with Ford. Think he's a bit 1 dimensional for a 1st round pick, Van Noy might sneak in there but for some reason he doesn't scream 1st rounder to me either, Attaochu to me you can put with Murphy, Smith, and Van Noy and roll the dice with any of them in the 2nd. But, unless Ealy falls (Something I don't see) or you want to convert Donald to a elephant (possible) I just don't see any LB I want to spend a 1st on. This draft is looking more and more to me as you either grab Tuitt, Nix, or Hageman in the 1st or you trade back to no later than the mid 2nd.

Mid 2nd you should have your choice of Niklas, CJ, Smith, Attaochu, Van Noy, Murphy, D. Jones, or Ferguson.

As for WR, after watching some more film I'm not seeing a large difference between Benjamin and Moncreif (well other than 2"). Clearly Benjamin has the size you drool over but Moncreif has blazing speed with great size too. They both have similar catching ability and similar route running. I think the prime difference is who was throwing them the ball and the offense they ran. You flip programs and I think Mocreif would be the back of the 1st prospect while Benjamin would be the late 2nd.

I also wouldn't rule out Coleman either. Even recovering from his knee injury he still out ran Benjamin and his hands improved through the season so he can learn. The biggest question for me is if he can learn the system. Reports are Harrison is having a hard time grasping basic routes so is it the season they played for or the player? If it's the player and Coleman can get the system he could be a prime example of a player in a bad system then otherwise might have goen top 20 in a receiver friendly system.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'm still hoping they target front 7 (where we agree) or Kelvin Benjamin in Rd 1... don't really see a true TE outside of Ebron that I like in that range and that includes Niklas, ASJ and Amaro.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm not seeing a TE I'd spend a 1st on either. CJ or Niklas in the 2nd, by all means but none in the 1st. I want to go front 7 in the 1st and more preferably front 4. I'm just not seeing a lot of LB's I'd spend a 1st on either. Not overall impressed with Ford. Think he's a bit 1 dimensional for a 1st round pick, Van Noy might sneak in there but for some reason he doesn't scream 1st rounder to me either, Attaochu to me you can put with Murphy, Smith, and Van Noy and roll the dice with any of them in the 2nd. But, unless Ealy falls (Something I don't see) or you want to convert Donald to a elephant (possible) I just don't see any LB I want to spend a 1st on. This draft is looking more and more to me as you either grab Tuitt, Nix, or Hageman in the 1st or you trade back to no later than the mid 2nd.

Mid 2nd you should have your choice of Niklas, CJ, Smith, Attaochu, Van Noy, Murphy, D. Jones, or Ferguson.

As for WR, after watching some more film I'm not seeing a large difference between Benjamin and Moncreif (well other than 2"). Clearly Benjamin has the size you drool over but Moncreif has blazing speed with great size too. They both have similar catching ability and similar route running. I think the prime difference is who was throwing them the ball and the offense they ran. You flip programs and I think Mocreif would be the back of the 1st prospect while Benjamin would be the late 2nd.

I also wouldn't rule out Coleman either. Even recovering from his knee injury he still out ran Benjamin and his hands improved through the season so he can learn. The biggest question for me is if he can learn the system. Reports are Harrison is having a hard time grasping basic routes so is it the season they played for or the player? If it's the player and Coleman can get the system he could be a prime example of a player in a bad system then otherwise might have goen top 20 in a receiver friendly system.

[/QUOTE]

Coleman could very well be in the picture... the size and connection is certainly there... just a matter of where he's targeted.  If we're talking Rd 3 or preferably Rd 4, then I'd more OK with it than if we're talking Rd 2.  There are a number of kids that I like over him in this class.

Yeah, 3 inches and 20 or so pounds on Moncrief... I  just think he presents more matchup problems for a defense and I'm a guy who really likes Moncrief.

Believe it or not, McShay has Latimer in Rd 1 of his latest mock, for whatever that's worth.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

According to Gil Brandt in his top 32 there will be 4 QB's and 6WR's taken in round 1, this is the best news the Patriiots could have ever received ! Should the draft fall this way the Patriots have a choice of getting a guy they want or trade for a king's ransom!!! Let's pray Gil is right..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

According to Gil Brandt in his top 32 there will be 4 QB's and 6WR's taken in round 1, this is the best news the Patriiots could have ever received ! Should the draft fall this way the Patriots have a choice of getting a guy they want or trade for a king's ransom!!! Let's pray Gil is right..

[/QUOTE]

My guess:  3 QBs (Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater) and 5 WRs (Watkins, Evans, Cooks, Benjamin, and Lee)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

The Pats will get a solid, talented and reliable starter at #29 if they stay there...if they trade back as many as 10 picks they could do the same...it's a deep draft with surprises all the way to the end of the 7th round...the last guy picked will most likely beat the "Mr. Irrelevant" tag

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My guess:  3 QBs (Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater) and 5 WRs (Watkins, Evans, Cooks, Benjamin, and Lee)

[/QUOTE]

I'd assume Beckham will be in there as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Could be.  He could actually replace Lee, who I dont think is a first round lock.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Question for everyone... Who is your favorite prospect in this class, regardless of where he's projected to be picked?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Pats will get a solid, talented and reliable starter at #29 if they stay there...if they trade back as many as 10 picks they could do the same...it's a deep draft with surprises all the way to the end of the 7th round...the last guy picked will most likely beat the "Mr. Irrelevant" tag

[/QUOTE]

Not sure I completely believe this. I've heard and seen this before and trading back those 15 spots saw 5 names the Pats could have easily targetted come flying off the board. If the guy you want is there and he will become a solid talented starter I say take him why risk not getting your player just for a couple extra mid round picks? For example say Nix, Hageman, and Tuitt are all there at 29 and say Tampa offers to move up, well there is the chance all 3 could disappear before your next pick. Honestly I think this is what happened in 11' draft. The Pats liked Wilkerson but had the 33rd pick. They thought at 28 no one would take him before #33 and got a good deal and took it. Then they scrambled when they couldn't move out of #33 (reports were they went into panic trying all night to get rid of the pick for a good deal) and ended up taking Ras I because there was no one else they were in love with at that point. 

I keep hearing it's a deep draft, but I've heard this before and in those deep drafts the Pats typically don't come out well by trading back. This might be another case where it's deep with good talent but shallow in great talent upfront (ala 09'). If that's the case spend your early picks (1st and 2nd) and trade you're 3rd and 4th to teams willing to give up higher picks next year to take advantage of the deep draft. This is a great year to trade that 4th for a 5th this year and a 3rd next year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

Question for everyone... Who is your favorite prospect in this class, regardless of where he's projected to be picked?

[/QUOTE]

I know I'm not going out on a limb here, but I like Clowney, I just don't think there are too many people on the planet that can do the things he can. I know he had a bad year, but the fact remains there aren't many people with that type of talent.

Where we are picking I like Tuitt, but the foot really worries me. I like Brandin Cooks. I like Amaro. I like Attaochu...Dee Ford....Nix. I absolutely hate the thought of drafting Kony Ealy - I seriously have watched 10 of his games to find out just what everyone likes about him - I still haven't found much of anything but his size. Honestly I could probably list 5 receivers I like in the late first, to mid/late second range...a few running backs too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not sure I completely believe this. I've heard and seen this before and trading back those 15 spots saw 5 names the Pats could have easily targetted come flying off the board. If the guy you want is there and he will become a solid talented starter I say take him why risk not getting your player just for a couple extra mid round picks? For example say Nix, Hageman, and Tuitt are all there at 29 and say Tampa offers to move up, well there is the chance all 3 could disappear before your next pick. Honestly I think this is what happened in 11' draft. The Pats liked Wilkerson but had the 33rd pick. They thought at 28 no one would take him before #33 and got a good deal and took it. Then they scrambled when they couldn't move out of #33 (reports were they went into panic trying all night to get rid of the pick for a good deal) and ended up taking Ras I because there was no one else they were in love with at that point. 

I keep hearing it's a deep draft, but I've heard this before and in those deep drafts the Pats typically don't come out well by trading back. This might be another case where it's deep with good talent but shallow in great talent upfront (ala 09'). If that's the case spend your early picks (1st and 2nd) and trade you're 3rd and 4th to teams willing to give up higher picks next year to take advantage of the deep draft. This is a great year to trade that 4th for a 5th this year and a 3rd next year.

[/QUOTE]

The trading back thing scares me too, I think far too often they have targeted 4-5 players that they thought would still be there when they selected and missed out on all of them before...then ended up reaching on someone else. Maybe if there ever was a year to do it, it is now, but I too am scared to hear "this is a deep draft". I hear that every year, then after the draft GM's come out and say whatever the hell they want to say about the draft to fit their agenda...they lie...they always do. Personally I think if there is a guy there who is rated higher than the others, take him, just do it. Don't get cute.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] I think his 4rth QB is Carr.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

top O/D

Sammy Watkins

Calvin Pryor

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

top O/D

Sammy Watkins

Calvin Pryor

[/QUOTE]Greg Robinson, he's the most dominant player in this draft.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Greg Robinson is the safest pick in the draft in my opinion. I really like Sammy Watkins too, but WR is sometimes hard to evaluate how it translates to the pros. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

I think he will be a Pro Bowl player for 10 years - safe and dominating.