***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:

19 days until we can hear the immortal words with the 29th pick in the 2014 draft we have a trade...

[object HTMLDivElement]

Haha, nicely done.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Another Cobb sleeper for MB,

Halfback Terrance Cobb, of Cumberland College, Ky, is a sleeper prospect that is flying under the radar. Cobb is 5-10.1, 218, ran a 4.42 forty-time for scouts, and had a whopping 1991 rushing yards and 26 TDs in 2012, when he was named the BSN offensive player of the year. In 2013, Cobb had an injury filled season, but still managed to post 540 rushing yards, with 6 TDs, in just 3 games.

http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/2014_NFL_Draft.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/2014_NFL_Draft.html

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'll have to check him out, thanks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

So, Marqise Lee is sitting there at #29... do you take him?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Brandin cooks is my dream scenerio.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Cannot commit without knowing who is on the board #29 and whether or not someone wants our pick!  Can't be decided without knowing the context...If you are asking me if he's a "got to have player/difference maker"...that's an easy answer IMO...no, not in comparison to what we need to win a SB.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Man, what is with these wide open spaces in these entries...reminds me of invading Russia during WW2.....endless horizons

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

Cannot commit without knowing who is on the board #29 and whether or not someone wants our pick!  Can't be decided without knowing the context...If you are asking me if he's a "got to have player/difference maker"...that's an easy answer IMO...no, not in comparison to what we need to win a SB.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Let's say that Ealy, Nix and all other conceivable defenders are there, but Pryor isn't.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Nix would seem to be a 10 year player that solidifies  the D-line.  I like Ealy, but would take Nix.  This is really a difficult draft to predict in the first two rds, talent galore.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

Let's say that Ealy, Nix and all other conceivable defenders are there, but Pryor isn't.

That's Nix to me...a ten year player if he stays healthy, a lot more athletic than some think.....Ealy COULD be a special pass rusher given how often he was doubled to let Sam run wild....

Deone Buchannon will be there in the second, I think, when they DRAFT...HE'S PRETTY GOOD AS WELL...BUT IF NOT, YOU'VE GOT lOTSON/lsu, IN THE THIRD OR dIXON/BAYLOR, IN THE 4TH (Opps, caps, sorry)..forgot Sunseri/Alabama in the 5th or 6th..all are more than passable

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

That's Nix to me...a ten year player if he stays healthy, a lot more athletic than some think.....Ealy COULD be a special pass rusher given how often he was doubled to let Sam run wild....

Deone Buchannon will be there in the second, I think, when they DRAFT...HE'S PRETTY GOOD AS WELL...BUT IF NOT, YOU'VE GOT lOTSON/lsu, IN THE THIRD OR dIXON/BAYLOR, IN THE 4TH (Opps, caps, sorry)..forgot Sunseri/Alabama in the 5th or 6th..all are more than passable

I like sunseri From Alabama a lot, If I had too choose I'd take Lee still.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think a team that drafts Will Sutton and gets him to play at 285/290, will be getting a steal. A year ago this guy was Aaron Donald, now some team will select Sutton late in round two/early round three and have a defensive tackle that potentially could play like a top 15 pick if he can drop 15 pounds (and keep it off). Anyone see this guy's stuff from 2012? He was pretty good.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I'm calling it now.  This year's patented BB "reach," Brock Vereen in the 3rd.  I wouldn't mind.  I doubt he is there in the 6th anyway like everyone seems to be predicting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:

19 days until we can hear the immortal words with the 29th pick in the 2014 draft we have a trade...

I bet you we will not trade back.  Teams aren't going to want to move up into the late 20's.  I think BB would love to, but I doubt we find a trade partner.  I'm saying we either pick at 29 or move up slightly.

Don't bet on that! As for the last fourteen years I've been watching BB draft players, he sees value in numbers, if he's presented with an option of trading out and gaining multiple picks vs. trading up and losing a 2nd or 3rd round pick in the process he's going to trade out 75% of the time ! You could be right and this is the year he has a player in mind that he has to have but I wouldn't bet 2 wooden nickels on it!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

I have a plan lets all get together here on this site and watch the draft unfold and when #29 arrives everyone make their pick before the 15 minutes are up, let's say all picks must be mad before the 13 minute mark that way we all have time to post our pick and figuring if the Patriots are trading out it will already be done by that point in their available time, if they trade out then we can all come back on day two and start over. 18 days until those immortal words are spoken: We have a trade!!!!!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:

I believe Kenny Guiton is the QB that the Pats are targeting. Round 6-7. If there is one collegiate player who exemplifies the Patriot Way, it's Kenny G. If you listen to his interviews you will think he's already played for BB in the past. His story is reminiscent of a young Tom Brady.

[object HTMLDivElement]

He's prob on the Day 3 short list if they're looking to target QB there, yeah.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm calling it now.  This year's patented BB "reach," Brock Vereen in the 3rd.  I wouldn't mind.  I doubt he is there in the 6th anyway like everyone seems to be predicting.

[object HTMLDivElement]

good prediction. Shane's brother and we know BB loves to reach for S's with intelligence and some versatility. To bad they don't have the athletic ability and talent to match  >.<

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

To Piggy-Back off of MB's idea, Here are My Top 4 Per Round...

Round 1:

Shazier, Benjamin, Seferian-Jenkins, Hageman

Round 2:

Niklas, Telvin Smith, Bucannon, Sankey

Round 3:

Fiedorwicz, Mettenberger, Marcus Smith, Borland

Round 4:

Urban, Craig Loston, Ellington, Coleman

Round 5:

Exum, Vereen, Caraun Reid, Joe Jon Duncan

Round 6:

Jerrick McKinnon, Devonta Freeman, Logan Thomas, Kadeem Edwards

Round 7:

Brandon Thomas, Urschel, Lomboko, Purifoy

*My Wild-Card Player is Ohio St. RB Carlos Hyde.  I really, really like him and think he could be a very elite RB in the NFL.  I know it isn't considered "Good Value" to draft a RB in the 1st this day and age, but I wouldn't put it past BB to take Hyde at 29, and I would be very happy with the pick if it happened.  I think he is a special combination of size, speed, vision, burst, and power.

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'll be interested to see if he pops on Hill or Hyde on Day 2.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Hyde is a beast!  He took it upon himself to will OSU to victory against Northwestern.  I would be estatic if BB took him at 29 or traded down to early in the 2nd and took him there.  Would be a great replacement for Blount. can run and catch, not to mention very hard to bring down!  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

good prediction. Shane's brother and we know BB loves to reach for S's with intelligence and some versatility. To bad they don't have the athletic ability and talent to match  >.<

LOL!  Yep.  History shows that he will make at least 1 head- scratcher pick.  I think Vereen could be that guy who he really wants, and I could see him taking him earlier than expected to make sure he gets him.  I'm sticking with Vereen in the 3rd.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Distinct possibility the head-scratcheer will come in the 1st: USC C Macrus Martin. Mike Reiss speculates as much in today's piece .

Our recent playoff losses always leave me asking for an upgrade in the interior OL.Wendel is just not big, strong enough.

Happy Easter everyone!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

[object HTMLDivElement]

And at least most people have heard of him, ha.  As far as predictions go, I think it's a sound one, because he makes sense from an intangibles, measurables (very good 40/3C/SS), versatility and bloodlines standpoint.

If I had to predict one "reach" (outside of Vereen), I'd go with Iowa LB Christian Kirksey, say in Rd 2 (generally projected in Rd 4)... good sized kid (6-2 233) that can run (4.5 40 at his Pro Day), play in space and cover (frequently walked out over the slot and would present BB/MP with some versatility on the defensive side of the ball (also utilized in blitz packages)... he also appears to have strong intangibles, is durable, and we all know about the program pedigree/connection.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:

Distinct possibility the head-scratcheer will come in the 1st: USC C Macrus Martin. Mike Reiss speculates as much in today's piece .

Our recent playoff losses always leave me asking for an upgrade in the interior OL.Wendel is just not big, strong enough.

Happy Easter everyone!

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yeah, it certainly fills a need, but I'd prefer a Joel Bitonio if they target OL in Rd 1.  Has OG/OT versatility and some think he can play all (5) positions.  BB is sure to love the 3C/SS and 10 yard splits... and I've talked about him as a potential Mankins type sleeper (he even wears #70) in Rd 1.

If Martin or Richburg's name is called at #29, I can't say that I'd be ecstatic, but both look like solid football players.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

So, it's fun to think about BB trading back, acquiring more picks, and drafting 10 good players this year, but the truth is that we don't really have room for that many guys.  We already have quite a bit of young depth developing, and I hate to cut some of those guys just to bring in similar players.  Maybe they should be aggressive early and target two impact players.  They might get good value on trading UP since so many teams want to move back and acquire an extra mid-round pick.  Here is an idea:

#23  Louis Nix III   *NE gives up #29 and their 3rd; receives #23 and KC's 5th (163)*

#53  2nd Rnd  Austin Seferian-Jenkins    TE   UW  *NE gives up #62, #130 (4th), and #206 (6th); receives #53 & GB's 6th (197)*

4th Rnd Comp   Brent Urban  DE  UVA

#163 5th Rnd  (from KC)   Brock Vereen   S   Minnesota

#197  6th Rnd  (from GB)  Trevor Reilly  OLB  Utah

#198  6th Rnd   Devonta Freeman   RB   FSU

#244  7th Rnd   Brandon Thomas   OG   Clemson

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Playing around with http://first-pick.com/NFL/DraftGame.aspx" rel="nofollow">http://first-pick.com/NFL/DraftGame.aspx

Sometimes there are trades and some times there are none or little worth taking.

Round 1 Pick 29: Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame 
    Round 2 Pick 30: Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame 
    Round 3 Pick 29: Telvin Smith, OLB, Florida State 
    Round 4 Pick 30: Antone Exum, CB/SS, Virginia Tech 
    Round 4 Pick 40 (COMP): Trai Turner, OG, LSU 
    Round 6 Pick 22: Kevin Norwood, WR, Alabama 
    Round 6 Pick 30: Larry Webster, DE, Bloomsburg 
    Round 7 Pick 29: Connor Shaw, QB, South Carolina 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

That would be a great haul. Only one I would worry about is Nix- 

response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Playing around with http://first-pick.com/NFL/DraftGame.aspx" rel="nofollow">http://first-pick.com/NFL/DraftGame.aspx" rel="nofollow">http://first-pick.com/NFL/DraftGame.aspx

Sometimes there are trades and some times there are none or little worth taking.

Round 1 Pick 29: Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame 
    Round 2 Pick 30: Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame 
    Round 3 Pick 29: Telvin Smith, OLB, Florida State 
    Round 4 Pick 30: Antone Exum, CB/SS, Virginia Tech 
    Round 4 Pick 40 (COMP): Trai Turner, OG, LSU 
    Round 6 Pick 22: Kevin Norwood, WR, Alabama 
    Round 6 Pick 30: Larry Webster, DE, Bloomsburg 
    Round 7 Pick 29: Connor Shaw, QB, South Carolina 

Sections
Shortcuts