***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Lol!  Nice, MB.  I figured I wouldn't get great reaction to the idea of taking Savage that soon.  You are right, too.  They probably would not put it out there that they really like him.  I just have a feeling that we are all in for a real surprise in this draft.  I don't think it will follow "needs" at all.  I could see them going after the right QB much earlier than expected.  Logan Thomas could be another guy who they may draft early.

My gut feel is that they will wait until Day 3 to select a TE... so get ready for ASJ or Niklas at #29, ha.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to msteven's comment:

This is going to be an interesting draft.  I wish the Patriots had more picks but than again, more picks would lead to someone being cut from the present team.  The addition of 100 underclassmen and the extra two weeks of analysis time is going to change a lot of the picks.  I think the extra time has caused confusion on the 3-20 slots on the draft.  Is Bridgewater a franchise QB?  He was two weeks ago!  Now maybe a round 2 guy?  I think the Patriots are going to have a tough time finding a trade partner this year.  Too much talent in the mid rounds.

I'm all for someone on the current team being cut if the player that's they're bringing in is better.  Competition is a good thing.

I think the confusion is prob tied more to the mainstream media, who are playing catchup on research... guessing teams have had their boards relatively set for quite a while.

If HOU and JAX pass on a QB with their first picks, I could see one of them trading back into Rd 1 to target a QB if the one they desire is there.  Not a definite, but that could be BB's chance to trade back a few spots.

It would be real nice to get the 33rd pick this year. You could really wheel and deal from that spot. Wish we did that a few years back.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Lol!  Nice, MB.  I figured I wouldn't get great reaction to the idea of taking Savage that soon.  You are right, too.  They probably would not put it out there that they really like him.  I just have a feeling that we are all in for a real surprise in this draft.  I don't think it will follow "needs" at all.  I could see them going after the right QB much earlier than expected.  Logan Thomas could be another guy who they may draft early.

My gut feel is that they will wait until Day 3 to select a TE... so get ready for ASJ or Niklas at #29, ha.

I've thought all along that ASJ at 29 is a real possibility.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Well, most of us have reasonably similar ideas about how NE should attack this draft.  We generally want DT, DE, TE early, with maybe an elite LB or RB mixed in if the right guy falls.  Many of us think NE should trade back from 29 into the 2nd, but I think that a lot of people have an unrealistic expectation of what the compensation might look like this year.  IF NE does trade back, I can assure you that we won't see anything close to the package that we got from MIN last year.  That said, since BB always does the opposite of what we think he will, here is my best guess at what our draft will actually look like, including what I think is a realistic trade with JAX...

29)  Traded to Jax for their 2nd, 4th, and 6th.

39)  Tom Savage   QB    Pitt

Huh? This is insane, right?  Well, maybe.  But I read that NE really likes Savage, and his stock is really sky-rocketing.  We know that in the NFL, you don't have anything unless you have a franchise QB.  Mallett is gone after this next season, and Brady is aging.  I know it looks crazy, but I think NE could select Savage this high if they really love him.

54)  Dominique Easly  DT   Florida    *NE trades #62 and #130 to Philly for #54

I would hate this pick.  I'll just say that right now.  I hate Easly's injury history.  Two ACL tears?  Red-Flag if you ask me.  But we all know that BB loves rolling the dice on high-upside guys who fall due to injury.  Most of the time they don't work out, but I could see BB going after this kid.  If healthy, his talent is undeniable.

93)  Brock Vereen   S   Minnesota

Too early?  Probably.  But Vereen is another guy who is moving up boards quickly.  I think BB would love to get him.  Super athletic, obvious family ties, and a versatile player.  I think he could be very good playing Man-Coverage in the slot, too.  Don't be surprised if Vereen goes on Day 2.

***Over-night, Between Day 2 and 3, Mallett is traded to AZ for a 2014 4th (120) and Conditional 2015 pick***

105)  from JAX  Christian Kirksey   OLB   Iowa

Total BB kid.  Smart, instinctive, and a very good athlete.  Would look really good opposite Collins in Sub-Package.

120)  from AZ  Marcel Jensen  TE  Fresno St.

We missed out on the Top 5 TEs in this scenario, but Jensen would be a good conselation prize at this point.  Good size, athleticism, etc, and he is considered by all accounts to be a smart guy, good pass catcher, and willing blocker.

140)  Comp Pick  Daniel McCullers  DT  Tennessee

This would be great value.  I know that there are conditioning issues with this guy, but you just can't teach his massive size.  Plus he has shown the ability to be disruptive at times.  Certainly a project, and not a  sure thing, but this is the type of player who I think BB would take a chance on if he fell to this point.

142)  From WSH   Bryan Stork  OL   FSU  *NE trades 179 & 198 (6ths from JAX & PHI) to the pick-needy Skins for #142  (5th)

Here I have BB packaging 2 6th Rounders to jump up and grab Stork.  He is a versatile O-Lineman with good size.  Not the quickest feet, but a smart player who could fill in anywhere on the interior of the O-Line.

206)  Tyler Gaffney  RB  Stanford

RB is clearly a need, but I don't think BB will take the plunge and draft Sankey, Hyde, Hill, etc early.  Gaffney has prototypical size (6'0  226) for a lead back with good burst, power, and maybe most importantly ball security.  Smart kid who could be a surprise contributor early.

244)  Kevin Norwood  WR  Alabama

Many of you will think that there is no way Norwood falls this far, and you may be right.  There are so many WR prospects in this draft though, that some are bound to fall into the late rounds, or even into the un-drafted ranks.  BB loves falling value in the 7th, and I think he finds it here.

There it is.  I know that this mock is a little bit, or a lot, outside-the-box, but when has Belichick even done the expected? 

[object HTMLDivElement]

I would be disappointed and most likely have to buy a new TV if the draft happens this way. Easly I'd be alright with in the 3rd be excited with in the 4th but in the 2nd? He's a bit 1 dimensional 1 gap rusher who is coming off his 2nd major knee injury in 2 years? That sounds like a pick destined to fail in the 2nd, neutral risk in the 3rd, and well worth the risk in the 4th.

Savage..... might be the next Brady or the next O'Connell. With MB on this one. If they really thought he was the next Brady there is zero chance those rumors would ever be let go in Foxboro.

Jensen I kind of just shrug my shoulders at. Nice player but not nearly enough to make any type of impact. I would think Hooman might be similar or slightly better than Jenkens so if Gronk goes down not sure if they really improved the TE core with this pick.

Vereen in the 3rd would be a major reach, just like Wilson and like Harmon which makes it the A typical BB reach. I think you could get the kid in the 4th if you wanted him and frankly as I saw with Harmon seems like a nice player but nothing special. So it would be the 3rd year in a row of drafting a S in day 2 and not coming up with anything better than a rotational S who can't hold the position down on his own.

Like the McCullers pick but the rest? Not sure it would be enough at RB and I'm not as fond of the LB choice but wouldn't think it was a bad one either. Kind of a Fletcher type of player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I've thought all along that ASJ at 29 is a real possibility.

It's always possible, Rd 2 kid for me though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Ok, so not rave reviews on my Tom Savage at #39 idea.  Fair enough.  :)   Eng, I agree with you on Easly.  I'm definitely against drafting him before Day 3, but I just have a feeling that BB will take him.  Like I posted earlier, I think we are in for some real surprises this year.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Crap, Wazz I didn't realize Savage started off at Rutgers. Never mind you might be right about him being the 1st pick but knowing he started at Rutgers they might trade up for him.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

We have a trade... and with the 1st pick in the 2014 NFL draft... the New Engand Patriots select... QB Tom Savage from Pitt.

Patriots Nation then turns into as mixture of Jonestown and Heaven's Gate.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Crap, Wazz I didn't realize Savage started off at Rutgers. Never mind you might be right about him being the 1st pick but knowing he started at Rutgers they might trade up for him.

Lol.  Wouldn't that be something!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Wazzu,

I was reading through your draft and thought if very feasible - and it would make me so irritated if Belichick did it, so good job. :) Every year I see the pick and go....w...t....f....?

Seriously though, I like the back end of your draft better than the front end. 

We should ask this thread who their "Bill reach" pick is this year - we all know it's coming. 

I just hope it doesn't come in the first round. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to mcboyd22's comment:

Wazzu,

I was reading through your draft and thought if very feasible - and it would make me so irritated if Belichick did it, so good job. :) Every year I see the pick and go....w...t....f....?

Seriously though, I like the back end of your draft better than the front end. 

We should ask this thread who their "Bill reach" pick is this year - we all know it's coming. 

I just hope it doesn't come in the first round. 

Thanks man.  That was kind of the point.  I wouldn't be thrilled with the draft that I drew up either, but I was trying to put together something similar to what BB might actually do.  I may be way off, probably am, but it was fun to try.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Would you trade a 2015 1st rd pick and our 4th rd pick #120 for San Fran's 2nd #56 (from KC) and 3rd #77?

What about the Jags, who have those two high picks in the 5th, sending us their 2nd #39, 3rd #70 and 5th #150 for our 1st #29 and 6th (our own, not Philly's)? They are a franchise needing an impact player who could drop to 29 but be gone by 39.

The Raiders LOVE trading with us. How about pick #62 and #77 for pick #36?

#36 - TE Amaro or Seferian-Jenkins - sneak in front of the TE starved Falcons and grab the guy BB and Daniels prefer for our system (Niklas is a dark horse here and they BETTER be sure he's as elite as the other two)

#39 - RB Carlos Hyde - A power back who could be better than Blount day one and complement Ridley/Vereen really well, cheap labor at a position the Pats HATE to spend on

#56 - C Weston Richburg - Keep Connolly at G since he hasn't played C in 3 years and get our future C, a leader/4 year starter everyone is high on to hopefully beat Wendell out or at least be just a 1 year understudy

#70 - The best pass rusher left on the board. Could be Dee Ford, Attaochu, Crichton, Murphy, Van Noy, DeMarcus Lawrence.... I hope 1-2 of these guys will last until pick 70 and help rotate with Nink and get to the QB. Or else we could take one of them at 56, go with Skov at 70 and and #150 an interior O-line guy like Larsen or Stork at C.

#140 (comp pick) - Best available DT, it'd be nice if DaQuan Jones was here, or Ed Stinson/DeAndre Coleman, many are afraid of McCullers the project, but I'd trust the Pats did their homework on a guy who would replace Wilfork in 2-3 years

#150 - An interior LB'er. Jordan Tripp has the cone drill and pedigree BB loves. Yawin Smallwood may drop b/c of speed issues but plays quicker than he is and makes impact plays. Preston Brown of L'Ville could be another Spikes, just play on obvious rushing downs but contribute right away.

6th rd (from Philly) - possibly use the 7th to move up, I'd take a risky player who has dropped at this point. I see CB Louchiez Purifoy or S's Ed Reynolds and Antone Exum being in this spot, guys who should have gone day 2 but character/injury/combine stuff led to a fall

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from minnypat. Show minnypat's posts

how weird is it that the Pats draft discussion has evolved to projecting BB's "reaches". but it's reality. I've been saying it for months, I still am projecting BB taking the Florida cb Roberson at 29 even though he is rated much lower. I'm convinced they see Revis as a one year fling.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Just finished reading the schedule. The first four games we won't have Browner but the schedule is a friendly one for the first four games as far as top notch QB's are concerned: Tanneyhill, Cassell, Schaub, and Smith...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to minnypat's comment:

how weird is it that the Pats draft discussion has evolved to projecting BB's "reaches". but it's reality. I've been saying it for months, I still am projecting BB taking the Florida cb Roberson at 29 even though he is rated much lower. I'm convinced they see Revis as a one year fling.

It's very much a reality, the truth is we sit here and dream about adding this guy or that guy (at least I do), but the truth is there is 31 other teams picking too...most in front of us. We are going to be left with slim pickings in each of these rounds in terms of choice. Add in the fact Belichick values certain players a lot more than others and you'll see those head scratching picks. As long as we don't see a Tavon Wilson type of reach I'll be happy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Would you trade a 2015 1st rd pick and our 4th rd pick #120 for San Fran's 2nd #56 (from KC) and 3rd #77?

What about the Jags, who have those two high picks in the 5th, sending us their 2nd #39, 3rd #70 and 5th #150 for our 1st #29 and 6th (our own, not Philly's)? They are a franchise needing an impact player who could drop to 29 but be gone by 39.

#36 - TE Amaro or Seferian-Jenkins - sneak in front of the TE starved Falcons and grab the guy BB and Daniels prefer for our system (Niklas is a dark horse here and they BETTER be sure he's as elite as the other two)

#39 - RB Carlos Hyde - A power back who could be better than Blount day one and complement Ridley/Vereen really well, cheap labor at a position the Pats HATE to spend on

#56 - C Weston Richburg - Keep Connolly at G since he hasn't played C in 3 years and get our future C, a leader/4 year starter everyone is high on to hopefully beat Wendell out or at least be just a 1 year understudy

#70 - The best pass rusher left on the board. Could be Dee Ford, Attaochu, Crichton, Murphy, Van Noy, DeMarcus Lawrence.... I hope 1-2 of these guys will last until pick 70 and help rotate with Nink and get to the QB. Or else we could take one of them at 56, go with Skov at 70 and and #150 an interior O-line guy like Larsen or Stork at C.

#140 (comp pick) - Best available DT, it'd be nice if DaQuan Jones was here, or Ed Stinson/DeAndre Coleman, many are afraid of McCullers the project, but I'd trust the Pats did their homework on a guy who would replace Wilfork in 2-3 years

#150 - An interior LB'er. Jordan Tripp has the cone drill and pedigree BB loves. Yawin Smallwood may drop b/c of speed issues but plays quicker than he is and makes impact plays. Preston Brown of L'Ville could be another Spikes, just play on obvious rushing downs but contribute right away.

6th rd (from Philly) - possibly use the 7th to move up, I'd take a risky player who has dropped at this point. I see CB Louchiez Purifoy or S's Ed Reynolds and Antone Exum being in this spot, guys who should have gone day 2 but character/injury/combine stuff led to a fall

The more I think about it, and keeping the same trades I suggested above, the more I like:

#36 - TE Amaro or Seferian-Jenkins

#39 - RB Carlos Hyde

#56 - DE/OLB Trent Murphy (he'll be gone by 70 I bet)

#70 - ILB Shayne Skov (get the Stanford bash bro's on the same team, Bruschi/Vrabel 2.0)

#140 - C Bryan Stork or a G like Steen/Watt, value at interior O-line in middle rounds

#150 - Trade up with our 6th to try and get back into the late 4th and get secondary depth

6 guys picked between 36 and 136 is what a deep Super Bowl contender needs. Guys that can play RIGHT NOW and fill a role as part-time contributors to weakness areas while not being counted on to start.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

I thought you were talking about the Pats until I realized you were talking about the JAGs. If there is an impact draft pick at 29 that might not be there at 39 dear lord I hope the Pats don't trade it away and actually pick the guy instead of taking the 2nd best to get an extra mid round pick who might only turn out to be a rotational guy.

1 solid starter + 1 rotational guy =/= an impact quality player

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Outkast1978. Show Outkast1978's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

I totally agree this kid cooks is a beast...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYr5OLsZDps

My Brother living in New Orleans, said the Saints are very interested in Telvin Smith. He thinks they will Draft him in Round 2. Even if he goes to 3rd round Saints Draft before us. Have to get some picks for him.

I heard yesterday that the Pats might want to Trade-up for WR, I think its a smokescreen. Knowing BB, he would never let something like this slip out, unless he wants someone else.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Could very well be a smokescreen, but that's the beauty of it... teams already have no clue what BB will do and this only adds another layer to it.  If true, I've said for a long time that Brandin Cooks has everything that BB likes in his WR's, in regards to speed, quicks, COD and RAC ability.  As for the other (2) that'd likely be in play, I prefer Lee to Beckham.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Lol.  Wouldn't that be something!

If that happened I'd turn into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife while watching the Commish announce the pick!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Hey Rame, don't be offended but I copied and pasted your comment to avoid the "wide open spaces" this new software creates between lines on "responses" to posts...here are some of my thoughts:

(With only 5 picks in  next years draft I see us trying to pick up at least one additional pick next year, not trade away what might be the only decent pick next year...don't forget, many guys who would have been available next year came out even earlier this year because of the increase in the length of rookie contracts that goes into effect for the 2015 draft...there'll be slim pickings next draft, that's why this year's is so deep....but usually, I'm not opposed to see them get more picks THIS year because it IS so deep!)

(Again, when it comes to trading picks, I'm all for BB acting like Wall Street and stealing from the poor...take all you can from desperate teams like the Jags and Raiders whenever possible)

(I'm very much OK with either guy at this pick if they're there...we really do need a quality TE aside from Gronk.)

(Love Hyde in the 2nd, but we could get a decent back in the 3rd, maybe even the 4th)

(They may do this and use the opportunity to simply cut Connolly due to his salary...they like Richburg if you believe the press and if it's not a BB smokescreen.)

(Best Pass Rusher on the board....agreed, although I doubt Ford, Attaochu, Crichton, Van Noy or Lawrence will be there in the 4th...might have to grab one in the 2nd to get a decent one.)

(Jones never makes it to the comp pick in the 4th...Coleman will go after the 4th because he's not a pass rusher...Stinson and McCullers are right about here, IMO)

(Most projections have Smallwood as a 4th rounder, some earlier, but Brown should be there, and yes, they do need a backup MLB type...if they go fast, coverage LB, they'll have to go no later than the 3rd to get a really good one.)

(Exum would be my choice if he drops this far, or someone like Cockrell from Duke, with both guys coming off of injuries which they should fully recover from, although their rookie years could see them not really ready to play much because of that, but Exum will most likely go before the 6th, maybe the 5th at the latest...I don't want Puirfoy and neither will the Pats...trouble last week with the cops due to possession and intoxication from weed and bath salts....we've had enough of that crap around here!)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In an effort to continue the dialogue around "outside the box thinking"... I still maintain that CB is a very realistic option in Rd 1 if one of the Top 5 prospects at the position are on the board (i.e. Dennard, Gilbert, Roby, Fuller & Verrett)... and here's why:

1.  We don't know if Revis will be back next year.

2.  Browner is one strike away from a (1) year suspension or something of the sort.

3.  I've seen talk around Logan Ryan potentially moving to S.

4.  It's a pass happy league and the more skill/talent/depth that you have on the perimeter, the better.

5.  You're adding relatively low cost talent, at a premium position and said player could also represent BPA.

Now, I'm not saying that they will take a CB, but it certainly warrants consideration/discussion, etc.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

For what it's worth, Telvin Smith was up to 224 (218 at the Combine) at his Pro Day on Mar 18... Timmy Jernigan was up to 305 (299 at the Combine).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Ideal size for SS for Bill Walsh is 6'2"-6'3" 218-225 lbs. He constantly talked about length in his Drafts. on the Defensive side of the ball. Only exception CB's, IF the man was quick. Even then he wanted tall CB's. His ideal size was 6'-2". Lombardi started with him, we'll see.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

No way they draft a CB early lol.. I really cant envision that at all. My favorite sleeper in the draft is will clarke out of WVU, team captain, Beast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdgsXDGlsM" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdgsXDGlsM" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdgsXDGlsM" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdgsXDGlsM" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdgsXDGlsM

check him out.  Reminds me of peppers.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:

No way they draft a CB early lol.. I really cant envision that at all. My favorite sleeper in the draft is will clarke out of WVU, team captain, Beast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdgsXDGlsM" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdgsXDGlsM" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdgsXDGlsM" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdgsXDGlsM" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdgsXDGlsM" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdgsXDGlsM" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdgsXDGlsM" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdgsXDGlsM" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdgsXDGlsM" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdgsXDGlsM" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdgsXDGlsM" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdgsXDGlsM" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdgsXDGlsM

check him out.  Reminds me of peppers.

[object HTMLDivElement]

I agree can't see them taking a CB early. In the 3rd or 4th as a hybrid who could be a CB or S (ie Exum or Vereen) sure can def see that but not in the first 2 rounds. Though I can see them taking Buchanan or Pryor in the 1st two rounds as S's.

I think we all like Will Clark but the question is when to take him. I'd look at in the 4th but will he be there? To me I have about 6 or so players I want them to target in the 3rd and 4th. Clark is one of them McCuller is another. To me it all depends on who they get in the 1st 2 rounds. If they grab a pass rusher then you grab McCullers, if you get a DT then you grab Clark. But, yes Clark is my favorite DE after the 2nd at this point.

Sections
Shortcuts