***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

For what it's worth, Telvin Smith was up to 224 (218 at the Combine) at his Pro Day on Mar 18... Timmy Jernigan was up to 305 (299 at the Combine).

I read somewhere that at 218 Smith looked like he was as bulked up as he could be and wouldn't be able to play with much more weight. I imagine the added weight is typical predraft BS these prospects do...run their 40's at a lower weight...do their bench at a higher weight...anything to make that resume look just a little bit better.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

For what it's worth, Telvin Smith was up to 224 (218 at the Combine) at his Pro Day on Mar 18... Timmy Jernigan was up to 305 (299 at the Combine).

I read somewhere that at 218 Smith looked like he was as bulked up as he could be and wouldn't be able to play with much more weight. I imagine the added weight is typical predraft BS these prospects do...run their 40's at a lower weight...do their bench at a higher weight...anything to make that resume look just a little bit better.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yeah it's pretty typical for a player to be 5-10lbs lighter at the combine to gain a bit extra speed in those time based drills then gain it back before the pro-day since most pro-days are built to demonstrate more skill base routines and less time based. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yeah it's pretty typical for a player to be 5-10lbs lighter at the combine to gain a bit extra speed in those time based drills then gain it back before the pro-day since most pro-days are built to demonstrate more skill base routines and less time based. 

Unfortunately nobody knows what his actual play weight was.  He was listed at 6-3 218 on FSU's team page.

As for Pro Day's... it varies... if a kid wants to sit on his times from the Combine, he can... but there a plenty of kids to who take part in the time based portion of a Pro Day... whether to improve on the Combine, or run/participate in a particular timed drill for the first time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Updated list of players that NE has had pre-Draft contact with, courtesty of nepatriotsdraft.com:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2014-patriots-draft-contacts" rel="nofollow">http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2014-patriots-draft-contacts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Unfortunately nobody knows what his actual play weight was.  He was listed at 6-3 218 on FSU's team page.

As for Pro Day's... it varies... if a kid wants to sit on his times from the Combine, he can... but there a plenty of kids to who take part in the time based portion of a Pro Day... whether to improve on the Combine, or run/participate in a particular timed drill for the first time.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yeah that's true. I guess it comes down to what they did at the combine. If they had good numbers they may put the weight back on to showcase other aspects and if the numbers didn't look great, were average, or they couldn't perform they'd look to improve those numbers. I guess for the most part from our perspective we are looking at guys with good combine numbers so we tend to see them add some weight by their pro-day. But in general it seems most tend to lose a bit of weight before the combine instead of gain it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Any takes for nepatriots.com's most recent mock?  I'm guessing some folks won't like #29 or like that they don't take a TE until Rd 7 and I don't know about double dipping on RB's, but there's some solid talent there overall.

2014 New England Patriots Mock Draft

Round 1 (29) - Dominique Easley, DT, Florida

In my mock earlier this week I mocked Ryan Shazier to the Patriots. I’m moving off that selection because I believe he’ll be off the board and I get the vibe the Patriots aren’t that enamored with him. The most logical position to address in the first round remains defensive line and I know they are looking hard at a number of DT/DE types. The Patriots don’t have a player like Easley on the current roster. He can play any position on the defensive line and provides disruption at each one. It’s possible Easley falls into the middle of the second round due to his knee injuries and as always the Patriots will look to shop the pick.

Round 2 (62)- Deone Bucannon, SAF, Washington State

Safety isn’t the biggest need on the roster, but if the Patriots get a chance to pick the Wazzou product they should take it. Bucannon brings size and physicality to the backend of the defense. He wow’d scouts with his great combine performance; running faster than many anticipated. He’ll struggle in the deep third, but he makes up for it by playing the role of enforcer. Bucannon has drawn interest from the Patriots in the pre-draft process, but it remains unknonw if Bill Belichick will want to use another Day Two selection on a Safety. If a Tight End like Troy Niklas is still on the board the Patriots would look long and hard.

Round 3 (93) – Marcus Smith, OLB, Louisville

If there is one position where this draft lacks impact it’s at pass rusher. There are only a handful of “true” impact edge rushers in this draft and the rest are projects. Smith is an interesting hybrid player. He’s a developing pass rusher that produced at a high level in 2013, but he’s also has the potential to become a solid coverage backer in the NFL. Smith is a similar prospect to Jamie Collins. Both players were bounced between positions, both players are college pass rushers, and both are fluid athletes that can play on their feet in the NFL.

Round 4 (130) – Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers

I’d be really surprised if the Patriots take a Wide Receiver in the first round, but look for them to add one more young body to the position at some point n the draft. Coleman brings a rare skillset that is currently lacking on the roster. Coleman boasts an impressive combination of size and speed, which would be welcomed by QB Tom Brady. He’d provide a much needed “big-bodied” receiveing target downfield and in the Red Zone.

Round 4 (140) * – Andre Williams, RB, Boston College

Running Back is in a little bit of flux right now. LeGarrett Blount is officially lost, no replacement is on the horizon, and both of their “starting” backs are free agents after the season. I’m told Bill Belichick liked the “four-man” RB rotation he employed most of last season, making it likely the team selects at least one during the draft. Andre Williams is the perfect replacement for LeGarrette Blount. He can run with the same type of force and he’s sneaky fast. Williams can play a reserve role as a rookie and if he shows enough promise could make the decision to resign Stevan Ridley a little bit tougher.

Round 6 (198) – Marion Grice, RB, Arizona State

Selecting a RB like Marion Grice right after picking the big, bruising Andre Williams is reminscent of 2011 where the Patriots double dipped with Vereen and Ridley. Their decision to let Danny Woodhead go came back to haunt them last season. Not only did they fail to adequately replace him, his replacement was hurt most of the season. There is no way they can enter next season without adding another receiver out of the backfield. Grice fits that mold perfectly. He was primarily used as a receiver in the Arizona State spread passing attack and caught 91 balls over the last two seasons. While he doesn’t run super fast, he makes up for it with impressive lateral agility and good openfield vision. By adding the tandem of Williams and Grice to Vereen and Ridley the Patriots build-in insurance in case of injury, free agent departures, and give themselves a nice four man rotation for 2014.

Round 6 (206) – Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorado State

The Tight End position features a massive drop off in talent early in this draft. After Troy Niklas and CJ Fiedorowicz come off the board there isn’t another TE worth taking for at least a full round. If the Patriots miss out on that top tier they are best served to wait beacause none of the guys available can become starters in year one. Gillmore is an interesting prospect that really turned heads at the Senior Bowl. He possesses a well-rounded skill-set and projects to an inline role. His ceiling as a receiver is limited compared to guys like Niklas and Amaro, but he can become a very good four down player. Serviceable, that’s the word I’d use to describe the Tight Ends after the top tier, serviceable.

Round 7 (244) – Kevin Pamphile, OT, Purdue

Pamphile is a late round O-Line sleeper that is rising up draft boards. The Patriots have shown interest and had him into Foxboro for an official visit. As of right now the Offensive Tackle depth on the roster is lacking and with a new OL coach, I wouldn’t be surprised if they moved Marcus Cannon inside to Guard.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Updated list of players that NE has had pre-Draft contact with, courtesty of nepatriotsdraft.com:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2014-patriots-draft-contacts" rel="nofollow">http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2014-patriots-draft-contacts" rel="nofollow">http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2014-patriots-draft-contacts

I think the thing that stood out the most too me was that we looked at 13 secondary players, and 9 of them were safeties. And they flew in the kid from Washington State...who I like.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Two weeks from today!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Two weeks from today!

So Pumped up!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yeah that would be a pretty rough draft if that were true MB:

Easly - big potential but he is right now a 1 gap rusher with issues in both knees. The injury part sounds like an normal BB type of pick but in the 1st of all places? Not to mention it goes against everything BB has looked for in DT's in the past. Mainly a 2 gap player. I just wouldn't be happy with it.

Buchanan - I could easily see this pick, doesn't mean I like it. Not that Buchanan isn't talent and wouldn't improve the secondary I just think there are bigger needs.

Smith - I doubt would make it to the 3rd but if he did this would be the best pick of the mock.

Andre Williams - Just isn't a BB type of pick. He's a pure power runner who can't catch and has issues blocking. I honestly can't see BB taking a shot at a 1 dimensional RB. Most of his RB choices can do at least 2 things well whether that be running, catching, or blocking.

Waiting to get a TE until the 6th just doesn't feel right and I'm all types of confused on getting 2 RB's when they already have a FB they seem to like unless they don't plan on keeping either Ridley or Vereen, then at that point you have to question those picks. If you are picked in day 1 or 2 and have good talent and they don't resign that player I consider that a bit of a wasted pick. Mainly because even if they produced while here you can't be replacing a position every 4 years, esp if that player was any good to begin with. It's just not sustainable on a team of 53 players and given you won't hit on every draft pick.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

I still believe the Patriots are trading out of round one, so with that said I think the Patriots are going to go DE with their first pick in round 2 and TE with their second pick in round two.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I saw that mock on nepatriotsdraft too.  Easely in the first ruined it for me.  I would really hate it if that happened.  Buchannon at 62 would be great, Smith at 93 is not realistic, and I'm not high on Andre Williams.  Pretty poor draft, IMO.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:

I still believe the Patriots are trading out of round one, so with that said I think the Patriots are going to go DE with their first pick in round 2 and TE with their second pick in round two.

I would love that.  Still don't think we get any takers to make a trade though.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Wonder how highly BB and crew will have Boise State DE/OLB Demarcus Lawrence rated.  He has some off the field that needs to be looked into (suspended for 3 seperate games), but he's an active, rangy, tenacious kid with long arms, big hands and some versatility and he really gets after it off the edge.  I'd put him the discussion with Attaochu and Ford, etc., as far as pass rushers go.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Wonder how highly BB and crew will have Boise State DE/OLB Demarcus Lawrence rated.  He has some off the field that needs to be looked into (suspended for 3 seperate games), but he's an active, rangy, tenacious kid with long arms, big hands and some versatility and he really gets after it off the edge.  I'd put him the discussion with Attaouchu and Ford, etc., as far as pass rushers go.

He is a hot name right now.  I like him a lot.  Maybe the best natural athlete of the names you mentioned.  If his character checks out, he could be in play at 29.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

It will be interesting to see how many different names familiar to those of us who follow the draft closely will become the "flavor" of the last two weeks like Tom Savage has been lately...they'll have to find something to rave about these last two weeks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Wonder how highly BB and crew will have Boise State DE/OLB Demarcus Lawrence rated.  He has some off the field that needs to be looked into (suspended for 3 seperate games), but he's an active, rangy, tenacious kid with long arms, big hands and some versatility and he really gets after it off the edge.  I'd put him the discussion with Attaouchu and Ford, etc., as far as pass rushers go.

I like him...looks like a nice athlete with long arms. I'm surprised he only ran a 4.8 at the combine, but I want to say he ran a 4.69 at his pro day, too me that looks more like the kid you see on film.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

MB et al, what's you analysis on WR Brandon Coleman?

I just watched some highlights and seems to have the physical gifts, although smallish hands.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I like him...looks like a nice athlete with long arms. I'm surprised he only ran a 4.8 at the combine, but I want to say he ran a 4.69 at his pro day, too me that looks more like the kid you see on film.

I agree that he looks faster that 4.8 on tape.

I'm always a bit skeptical when Pro Day times come in far lower than combine times, but you can usually tell which one is closer to the truth by watching film.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:

MB et al, what's you analysis on WR Brandon Coleman?

I just watched some highlights and seems to have the physical gifts, although smallish hands.

Yeah, elite size kid with some natural ability that can make some plays down the field, but he's inconsistent catching the football.  I think he'll interest them in the middle rounds.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

It will be interesting to see how many different names familiar to those of us who follow the draft closely will become the "flavor" of the last two weeks like Tom Savage has been lately...they'll have to find something to rave about these last two weeks.

Yeah, I think I read somewhere recently that ND OL Zack Martin has become a hot name (and I chuckled a bit)... like teams are just now finding out about this kid and haven't known for months that he's one of the most consistently good prospects in this class.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I agree that he looks faster that 4.8 on tape.

I'm always a bit skeptical when Pro Day times come in far lower than combine times, but you can usually tell which one is closer to the truth by watching film.

I agree, the tape tells the tale more than anything.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

/2014 6:15 PM EDT

mbeaulieu07
    First: 7/20/2006
    Last: 4/25/2014
    So McShay def reads the Draft Thread ;)

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nfl-draft/post?id=4553

From ESPN Insider:

My favorite players to watch on tape:

As I go through prospect evaluations for the draft, some players' tape is painful to get through, while there are others whose tape I could watch all day long.

The prospects listed below fit the latter, including several potential first-rounders and a quarterback who has the potential to surprise by sticking in the league. They make up my 2014 All-Tape team, a distinction rivaled in prestige only by my All-Satellite team (the draft version of which is coming next week).

Here are nine players who are a joy to watch.

Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU

Landry is undersized and ran a slow 40-yard dash time at the combine, but he's still worth a Day 2 pick. Why? Because he is one of the best pure football players in this class. First off, his ball skills are second to none in the 2014 class of receivers -- and if you don't trust my eyes on that, there are plenty of numbers that back that assertion up. Landry has excellent focus and natural hand-eye coordination, and very good body control to adjust. Landry does an excellent job of competing for balls in traffic and has the strong hands to secure passes. He makes tough catches over his head look easy. He's also the toughest receiver in the 2014 class, with no fear of going over the middle (he'll take a big shot and still hold onto the ball), and a physical, competitive and effective blocker. I love the way this guy plays the game.

C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama

Mosley has the four things you look for in a linebacker: instincts, motor, sure tackling and the versatility to be an every-down player. He is a relentless, tough and disciplined playmaker. He carries some injury and durability concerns with him into the league, but there isn't anything not to like about what you see from him on tape. He should go off the board in the first half of the first round; I've got him as the No. 8 player on my board.

Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State

I liken Crichton to a less talented Chris Long. He is a tone-setter with his attacking, physical style. He plays with an edge and a relentless motor; he loves to chase and gives consistent second effort. Crichton is a high-energy pass-rusher with violent hands and explosive get-off quickness. He has a strong work ethic and practice habits, and he's a self-motivator and a vocal leader who can handle criticism.

Jeremiah Attaochu, DE/OLB, Georgia Tech

Attaochu is a tireless worker who plays the game hard and has continued to improve. His best season came as a senior, and he finished really strong down the stretch, with 10.5 sacks in his final six games (including his four-sack performance against rival Georgia). He has exceptional instincts as a pass-rusher, and figures to land in the early second-round range in the draft.

Joel Bitonio, OT, Nevada

Bitonio doesn't look the part, but he plays the part. He's a tone-setter who gives outstanding effort, and he is a classic finisher. He fights through the whistle and is looking to bury his opponents on every snap, and he can really get under his opponents' skin (the best example of that came when he went up against UCLA's Anthony Barr this past season). He has an excellent work ethic and is a really good leader. Bitonio figures to come off the board in the second round, but he could sneak into the late first.

Devonta Freeman, RB, Florida State

Freeman is an elite competitor who runs like his hair is on fire. He keeps his pads low and legs driving at the end of runs and is almost always falling forward. He's tough, too, as shown by his willingness to throw himself around as a blocker in both the passing and running games. He does a great job of protecting the football as well, with a career fumble percentage of just 0.9.

Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh

There are two things you should know about Donald right off the top: (1) according to those who have coached him, he is the best practice player they have ever been around, and (2) he played the highest percentage of snaps among any draftable defensive linemen in this class. Donald is an exceptional competitor to go along with his elite first-step quickness and finishing ability. He figures to be off the board in the first 15 picks.

Chris Borland, LB. Wisconsin

Borland lacks the prototypical measureables you look for in a linebacker. He is short and has short arms (28 7/8 inches). His top-end speed is just average, but he plays faster on tape, and he has good bulk and carries it well. Borland plays with reckless abandon, does a great job of filling the hole and shows very good technique as a face-up tackler. He's not the type of guy to excel in a combine-like setting, but it's hard not to love his game on tape. He reminds me some of Zach Thomas.

Connor Shaw, QB, South Carolina

It's rare for a QB to make this list, but that speaks to the type of player that Shaw is. He is clearly a tape junkie and a "first one in, last one out" type of guy in terms of his preparation. His below-average arm strength and lack of size and injury history contribute to why he's only the 14th-ranked QB on my board, but he has very good touch and timing as a passer and good speed, quickness and toughness as a runner.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

/2014 6:15 PM EDT

mbeaulieu07
    First: 7/20/2006
    Last: 4/25/2014
    So McShay def reads the Draft Thread ;)

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nfl-draft/post?id=4553" rel="nofollow">http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nfl-draft/post?id=4553

From ESPN Insider:

My favorite players to watch on tape:

As I go through prospect evaluations for the draft, some players' tape is painful to get through, while there are others whose tape I could watch all day long.

The prospects listed below fit the latter, including several potential first-rounders and a quarterback who has the potential to surprise by sticking in the league. They make up my 2014 All-Tape team, a distinction rivaled in prestige only by my All-Satellite team (the draft version of which is coming next week).

Here are nine players who are a joy to watch.

Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU

Landry is undersized and ran a slow 40-yard dash time at the combine, but he's still worth a Day 2 pick. Why? Because he is one of the best pure football players in this class. First off, his ball skills are second to none in the 2014 class of receivers -- and if you don't trust my eyes on that, there are plenty of numbers that back that assertion up. Landry has excellent focus and natural hand-eye coordination, and very good body control to adjust. Landry does an excellent job of competing for balls in traffic and has the strong hands to secure passes. He makes tough catches over his head look easy. He's also the toughest receiver in the 2014 class, with no fear of going over the middle (he'll take a big shot and still hold onto the ball), and a physical, competitive and effective blocker. I love the way this guy plays the game.

C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama

Mosley has the four things you look for in a linebacker: instincts, motor, sure tackling and the versatility to be an every-down player. He is a relentless, tough and disciplined playmaker. He carries some injury and durability concerns with him into the league, but there isn't anything not to like about what you see from him on tape. He should go off the board in the first half of the first round; I've got him as the No. 8 player on my board.

Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State

I liken Crichton to a less talented Chris Long. He is a tone-setter with his attacking, physical style. He plays with an edge and a relentless motor; he loves to chase and gives consistent second effort. Crichton is a high-energy pass-rusher with violent hands and explosive get-off quickness. He has a strong work ethic and practice habits, and he's a self-motivator and a vocal leader who can handle criticism.

Jeremiah Attaochu, DE/OLB, Georgia Tech

Attaochu is a tireless worker who plays the game hard and has continued to improve. His best season came as a senior, and he finished really strong down the stretch, with 10.5 sacks in his final six games (including his four-sack performance against rival Georgia). He has exceptional instincts as a pass-rusher, and figures to land in the early second-round range in the draft.

Joel Bitonio, OT, Nevada

Bitonio doesn't look the part, but he plays the part. He's a tone-setter who gives outstanding effort, and he is a classic finisher. He fights through the whistle and is looking to bury his opponents on every snap, and he can really get under his opponents' skin (the best example of that came when he went up against UCLA's Anthony Barr this past season). He has an excellent work ethic and is a really good leader. Bitonio figures to come off the board in the second round, but he could sneak into the late first.

Devonta Freeman, RB, Florida State

Freeman is an elite competitor who runs like his hair is on fire. He keeps his pads low and legs driving at the end of runs and is almost always falling forward. He's tough, too, as shown by his willingness to throw himself around as a blocker in both the passing and running games. He does a great job of protecting the football as well, with a career fumble percentage of just 0.9.

Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh

There are two things you should know about Donald right off the top: (1) according to those who have coached him, he is the best practice player they have ever been around, and (2) he played the highest percentage of snaps among any draftable defensive linemen in this class. Donald is an exceptional competitor to go along with his elite first-step quickness and finishing ability. He figures to be off the board in the first 15 picks.

Chris Borland, LB. Wisconsin

Borland lacks the prototypical measureables you look for in a linebacker. He is short and has short arms (28 7/8 inches). His top-end speed is just average, but he plays faster on tape, and he has good bulk and carries it well. Borland plays with reckless abandon, does a great job of filling the hole and shows very good technique as a face-up tackler. He's not the type of guy to excel in a combine-like setting, but it's hard not to love his game on tape. He reminds me some of Zach Thomas.

Connor Shaw, QB, South Carolina

It's rare for a QB to make this list, but that speaks to the type of player that Shaw is. He is clearly a tape junkie and a "first one in, last one out" type of guy in terms of his preparation. His below-average arm strength and lack of size and injury history contribute to why he's only the 14th-ranked QB on my board, but he has very good touch and timing as a passer and good speed, quickness and toughness as a runner.

Outstanding stuff! It does look like he reads the draft thread. Lol!

The only guy I don't agree with is Crichton, I find him to be an average prospect and I didn't enjoy watching his tape as much as McShay did...totally agree with his view on Landry.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Cody Latimer is a hot name... why? I mean the kid is solid but why is he jumping up the board?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

Sections
Shortcuts