***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

Hey MB.  Just a shout-out to your "big board" this year.  I love the prospects that you have identified this year.  If I had to construct a realistic draft for NE, based strictly off of your board, I think I would do the following...

1). Nix

I know his stock has fallen in the eyes of many, but I still think he is a blue-chip DT and a near "must pick" if he is available.

2). ASJ 

again, his stock has fallen, mainly due to a DUI, but I think he is a very gifted athlete and a great value here.

3). Urban

pairing this guy with Nix would give our D-line a tremendous boost.  2 years from now people may wonder how he fell as far as he did.  Tons of upside.

4A). Logan Thomas

wing and a prayer here.  One of the most atheletically gifted QBs we've seen.  Give him 2 years behind Brady, polishing his mechanics, and who knows?

4B). Urschel

Smart, hard working, and well coached.  More talented than given credit for, too.  I think he will be very good for a long time.

6A). Exum

again, a very good and versatile Defensive Back who may slide into the late rounds due to injury history.  Worth the gamble here.

6B). Gaffney

we surely need RB help, and Gaffney is underrated.

7). Morris

again, LB is a need.  I would like to address it sooner, but quality depth can be found late this year.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

Cody Latimer is a hot name... why? I mean the kid is solid but why is he jumping up the board?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

[object HTMLDivElement]

because there are 2 extra weeks and the media has to talk about something

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama

Mosley has the four things you look for in a linebacker: instincts, motor, sure tackling and the versatility to be an every-down player. He is a relentless, tough and disciplined playmaker. He carries some injury and durability concerns with him into the league, but there isn't anything not to like about what you see from him on tape. He should go off the board in the first half of the first round; I've got him as the No. 8 player on my board.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Not a big Mosley fan myself. Ala tends to get the most out of their D players in a pro style system so imo he's reached his ceiling and it's not as high as Hightowers was. Additionally Ala puts a ton of wear and tear on their players and when one is already coming out with a major injury it's never a good sign. In the 2nd I'd take a sot but in the 1st I'd have concerns about his upside and that injury, only because he's coming from Ala

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Saw Lattimer was invited to the Draft in NYC and accepted. Is he really a first rounder? Could be awfully embarrassing to sit there all day with the camera on you...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Archer1's comment:

Saw Lattimer was invited to the Draft in NYC and accepted. Is he really a first rounder? Could be awfully embarrassing to sit there all day with the camera on you...

[object HTMLDivElement]

He could be a day 2 invite. I think he's worth a 3rd-4th but I can see someone spending a late 2nd on him

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Hey MB.  Just a shout-out to your "big board" this year.  I love the prospects that you have identified this year.  If I had to construct a realistic draft for NE, based strictly off of your board, I think I would do the following...

1). Nix

I know his stock has fallen in the eyes of many, but I still think he is a blue-chip DT and a near "must pick" if he is available.

2). ASJ 

again, his stock has fallen, mainly due to a DUI, but I think he is a very gifted athlete and a great value here.

3). Urban

pairing this guy with Nix would give our D-line a tremendous boost.  2 years from now people may wonder how he fell as far as he did.  Tons of upside.

4A). Logan Thomas

wing and a prayer here.  One of the most atheletically gifted QBs we've seen.  Give him 2 years behind Brady, polishing his mechanics, and who knows?

4B). Urschel

Smart, hard working, and well coached.  More talented than given credit for, too.  I think he will be very good for a long time.

6A). Exum

again, a very good and versatile Defensive Back who may slide into the late rounds due to injury history.  Worth the gamble here.

6B). Gaffney

we surely need RB help, and Gaffney is underrated.

7). Morris

again, LB is a need.  I would like to address it sooner, but quality depth can be found late this year.  

Thanks, brothah!  You could mix and match/debate the final destination of a few of the Day 3 kids, but overall, I'd love that haul... sure would love to get one of the WR's though... there's so many avaiable that there should be some steals available at some point.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Morning Fellas.  Random thought for the day...  I think that UW RB Bishop Sankey could be the perfect fit for our system.  A true all purpose back who has great vision and a real knack for popping a big run.  He is similar to Ridley in skillet, but I like Sankey a little better.  So, my question is would BB consider drafting Sankey at, say 62, and then turning around and dealing Ridley for a 5th rounder or so, possibly grabbing a bigger RB late, or even a priority UDFA to fill the roster?  Far fetched, I know, but just a thought.

Love him, think he is the best back in this draft, but he is far from perfect. He will fumble...although he is very physical for a guy his size he is a bit on the small side.

Whoever gets Sankey will be getting a strong, quick back who has GREAT vision. I love watching him run, too me he has been the funnest guy to watch during this whole process - he can block too - and catch. If Sankey were an inch taller and ten pounds heavier we'd be talking about a top 15 pick here. I just don't think you can teach a guy to run with his type of vision - he reads it so fast - then gets through that hole in a flash. And once he's through that hole he picks up huge chunks of real estate.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Has there been much discussion on UNC DE Kareem Martin anywhere in the previous 126 pages? I don't see him on MBs big board and am curious why. We have the need. He has the size, athleticism, production, and attitude. Yet, no love? What are the thoughts here on his game and where he will be selected?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

OK I think I know what I would like BB to do (which is not good because except for the no brainer of drafting Wilfork when he dropped BB does not follow my suggestions... ever):

1. Trade down a few spots in the draft but not far

2. Draft Tuitt to be the next Richard Seymour

3. With our 2nd round pick take Colt Lyerla to be a better Hernandez than Hernandez and put it in his contract that he has to stay clean off the field in every way...

If we get those two guys and they pan out it will be huge... And with this deep draft we will be able to get two or three other competitive players. Maybe another LB, RB and O lineman.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejuice1. Show thejuice1's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

OK I think I know what I would like BB to do (which is not good because except for the no brainer of drafting Wilfork when he dropped BB does not follow my suggestions... ever):

3. With our 2nd round pick take Colt Lyerla to be a better Hernandez than Hernandez and put it in his contract that he has to stay clean off the field in every way...

If we get those two guys and they pan out it will be huge... And with this deep draft we will be able to get two or three other competitive players. Maybe another LB, RB and O lineman.

drafting colt l in rd 2 would be awful. you could easily get him in the 4th rd or later. and with all his ?'s i wouldnt touch him until rd 6. if you're talking one of the top te's if they fall to the end of rd 2, im all for it, but colt, no thanks. if you get tuitt in rd 1, go TE, OL, WR or DT in rd 2. Because Tuitt could play both de and dt for us, if we got him in rd 1, ideally id go for TE, OL, WR, S in rd 2 in that order. but certainly wouldnt pass up another de or dt if value is there

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to thejuice1's comment:

In response to portfolio1's comment:

drafting colt l in rd 2 would be awful. you could easily get him in the 4th rd or later. and with all his ?'s i wouldnt touch him until rd 6. if you're talking one of the top te's if they fall to the end of rd 2, im all for it, but colt, no thanks. if you get tuitt in rd 1, go TE, OL, WR or DT in rd 2. Because Tuitt could play both de and dt for us, if we got him in rd 1, ideally id go for TE, OL, WR, S in rd 2 in that order. but certainly wouldnt pass up another de or dt if value is there

I can see your point about waiting on Lyerla. I wont disagree about waiting at least one more round on him. And I would not take him if I had not met with him to size him up - which of course I cannot do personally.

I also agree about Tuitt and so about getting another DL as well.

I do not like the idea of spending a pick in rounds 1-3 on a WR this year UNLESS the coaching staff has lost faith in all of the rookie WRs from last year. I prefer to get an RB to a WR due to contract issues next year. And I prefer to get a good interior OL and a good TE and/or another LB rather than RB or WR.

I have to add I am all for talent at any position. I just think we have more needs at some.

And I do hope we are able to trade Mallet though I wont hold my breath.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Round 1.  Aaron Donald  DT - BB trades #29 and Mallet for NYG 12th pick.  interior pass-rusher can also play End 

Round 2.  Martin   OG/C,  UCS  - a versatile OL

Round 3.  Fiedorowicz  TE   Iowa  - (since everyone has this pick, it inevitably won't happen)

Round 4.  Garoppolo  QB   Eastern Ill  -  consistency with good numbers  

Round 4.  Andre Williams   RB  Boston College   

Round 5.  McCullers  DT  Tenn  (can't resist at this point and BB likes to double down on positional needs)

Round 6.  Brown  ILB  Louisville 

Round 6.  Janis  WR  Saginaw Valley - Div11 receptions leader with speed, athleticism and size at 6'3" 220

Round 7.  Rodgers  TE  Cal  (another local boy and BB double down at TE)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Has there been much discussion on UNC DE Kareem Martin anywhere in the previous 126 pages? I don't see him on MBs big board and am curious why. We have the need. He has the size, athleticism, production, and attitude. Yet, no love? What are the thoughts here on his game and where he will be selected?

Good questions... IDK... I can tell you that he hasn't been mentioned much and not sure why.  Looked at some more of his tape this AM... long kid, generally plays hard (appears gassed at times), can set the edge, active in pursuit and makes plays down the LOS.  Doesn't look overly explosive or dynamic off the edge and I didn't see much of him playing in a 2-point stance and/or in space, but there is a lot to like.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Round 1.  Aaron Donald  DT - BB trades #29 and Mallet for NYG 12th pick.  interior pass-rusher can also play End 

Round 2.  Martin   OG/C,  UCS  - a versatile OL

Round 3.  Fiedorowicz  TE   Iowa  - (since everyone has this pick, it inevitably won't happen)

Round 4.  Garoppolo  QB   Eastern Ill  -  consistency with good numbers  

Round 4.  Andre Williams   RB  Boston College   

Round 5.  McCullers  DT  Tenn  (can't resist at this point and BB likes to double down on positional needs)

Round 6.  Brown  ILB  Louisville 

Round 6.  Janis  WR  Saginaw Valley - Div11 receptions leader with speed, athleticism and size at 6'3" 220

Round 7.  Rodgers  TE  Cal  (another local boy and BB double down at TE)

I think Martin, CFJ, Williams, McCullers, Brown Janis and Rodgers are realistic where you have them.  To your comment, I think CJF is the player that's most commonly mocked to NE, and for good reason, ha.

On the other side, they'd have to give up a heck of a lot more than that to move up to #12.

I also think Garoppolo is gone inside the Top 40/50... and doesn't make it out of Rd 2 at the very least.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Some Pre-Draft Superlatives:

Favorite Offensive Prospect- LSU WR Jarvis Landry (also my favorite prospect overall)

Favorite Defensive Prospect- MSU CB Darqueze Dennard 

Favorite Small School Prospect- Montana LB Jordan Tripp

Favorite Tweener- FSU LB Telvin Smith

Biggest Sleeper- UVA DL Brent Urban 

Late Round Steal- Maryland CB Dexter McDougle

Looks The Part- ND TE Troy Niklas

No Thanks- TE Colt Lyerla

I Bet Belichick Loved His 3C and Workouts- Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks

The Most Underrated- BYU LB Kyle Van Noy

The Most Overrated- ASU DT Will Sutton

The Most Maddening Prospect To Watch- Minnesota DL Ra'Shede Hageman

The Most Mocked To New England- Iowa TE CJ Fiedorowicz

The Best Player That No One Really Talks About- Wisconsin LB Chris Borland

The Best Player That Many Have Never Heard Of- Nevada CB Phillip Gaines

The Best Potential Value- VT DB Antone Exum (talent vs. expected draft position)

The Smartest Prospect- PSU OL John Urschel

The Next Edelman- NW WR Kain Colter

The Next Welker- WF WR Michael Campanaro

The Next Mankins- Nevada OL Joel Bitonio

The Next Chandler- Mizzou DE/OLB Kony Ealy

The Next DMC- NIU S Jimmie Ward

The Next Honey Badger (on the field)- Lamarcus Joyner

What are yours?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Yeah he certainly looks the part, but when I watch him I'm not impressed, plus didn't he do basically nothing prior to last season? I've read that he played harder do to the payday the draft will offer, now if so he certainly wouldn't be the first guy to do that, or necessarily be a bust...but too me he just seems to be an average player in a Super Hero body.

With this guy it looks like there will be some serious "projecting" going on...how will he project with more this, or more that? How will he look in a couple of years? How will he perform with better coaching? With better players around him? Those are tough questions to answer - and I hate players like that - guys that look like him when they put their hand in the dirt (all pro builds), but don't play like it. 

I think if you are talking him as a fourth rounder, then sure, but higher than that and I would of liked to of seen better play out of him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Sleeper:  Worked out by the Patriots recently, (Draft Ace listed) other sites say unconfirmed.  Maybe a Vollmer situation again, low profile.

Jamal Ellis, DS #108 OG, Newberry 

Name: Jamal Ellis
    College: Newberry Number: 63
    Height: 6-4 Weight: 324
    Position: OG Pos2:
    Class/Draft Year: rSr/2014
    40 Low: 5.12 40 Time: 5.24 40 High: 5.

Pro Day Results
    Dates: 04/01/14 

Height: 6035
    Weight: 324
    40 Yrd Dash: 5.20
    20 Yrd Dash: 3.11
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.84 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 26
    Vertical Jump: 24
    Broad Jump: 08'06"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.96
    3-Cone Drill: 7.91

40 Time Range: 5.20-5.27

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Favorite Offensive Prospect- Ole Miss WR Donte Moncrief - only 8 prospects in the last 20 years have come out with his combo of size, speed, strength and 5 were pro-bowlers

Favorite Defensive Prospect- Minn DT Ra'Shede Hageman - I really wanted Watt and he's my second chance

Favorite Small School Prospect- Dixie State TE Joe Don Duncan

Favorite Tweener- Vir Tech CB/S Antone Exum

Biggest Sleeper- W Vir DE Will Clark

Late Round Steal- S Florida DE Aaron Lynch

Looks The Part- Iowa TE CJ Fiedorowicz

No Thanks- 3 players TE Colt Lyerla, TE Colt Lyerla, TE Colt Lyerla

I Bet Belichick Loved His 3C and Workouts- Geo S. RB Jerick McKinnon - top 5 in every category at the combine. Talk about a BB wet dream

The Most Underrated- BC LB Steele Divitto

The Most Overrated- Lou QB Teddy Bridgewater

The Most Maddening Prospect To Watch- Tenn DT Daniel McCullers

The Best Player That No One Really Talks About- Geo S. RB Jerick McKinnon

The Best Player That Many Have Never Heard Of- Saginaw Valley WR Jeff Janis

The Best Potential Value- S Florida DE Aaron Lynch

The Next Edelman- Geo S. RB Jerick McKinnon

The Next Welker- Mich WR Jeremy Gallon

The Next Mankins- Baylor OL Cyril Richardson

The Next DMC- Flo S FS Terrence Brooks

The Next Honey Badger (on the field)- TCU CB Jason Verrett

What are yours?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Kareem Martin tested at Clowney levels at the combine which makes me think that his lack of burst during the season was possibly due to undisclosed injury. The reason I think that it isn't an effort/motivation issue is because he was a team captain. If he was a lazy worker, why would the coaches bestow that honor on him? He had 20+ TFL and 11.5 sacks so productivity wasn't a huge issue. It is possible that the coaches just overused him ala Jones/Nink and he tired out. 

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2014/04/2014-edge-rushers-analyzing-athleticism.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2014/04/2014-edge-rushers-analyzing-athleticism.html

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/kareem-martin?id=2543738" rel="nofollow">http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/kareem-martin?id=2543738

Seems like the weaknesses that he has can be fixed with coaching and practice. He has the natural size, ability, and ethic IMO. He has emerged as a binky for me at a position that really needs addressing. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Favorite Offensive Prospect- Ole Miss WR Donte Moncrief - only 8 prospects in the last 20 years have come out with his combo of size, speed, strength and 5 were pro-bowlers

Favorite Defensive Prospect- Minn DT Ra'Shede Hageman - I really wanted Watt and he's my second chance

I Bet Belichick Loved His 3C and Workouts- Geo S. RB Jerick McKinnon - top 5 in every category at the combine. Talk about a BB wet dream

What are yours?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:

What are yours?

Though it's obvious you can't stand Lyerla , it appears you would kill someone to get McKinnon but he would be redundant as they already have Edelman and Boyce and Amendola and Orton and Dunn all of whom play the slot! So don't hold your breath waiting for your wet dream to don a Patriots uniform.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Though it's obvious you can't stand Lyerla , it appears you would kill someone to get McKinnon but he would be redundant as they already have Edelman and Boyce and Amendola and Orton and Dunn all of whom play the slot! So don't hold your breath waiting for your wet dream to don a Patriots uniform.

[object HTMLDivElement]

lol except McKinnon is a RB not a WR...... switch your name back genius doesn't suit you lol  j/k

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

lol except McKinnon is a RB not a WR...... switch your name back genius doesn't suit you lol  j/k

Then why did you reference him as the next Edelman? The only logical comparison would be the next Danny Woodhead. Yeah I don't like using the Genius label and prefer the Bozo then no one gets their panties in a bunch when I critic their opinions.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Kareem Martin tested at Clowney levels at the combine which makes me think that his lack of burst during the season was possibly due to undisclosed injury. The reason I think that it isn't an effort/motivation issue is because he was a team captain. If he was a lazy worker, why would the coaches bestow that honor on him? He had 20+ TFL and 11.5 sacks so productivity wasn't a huge issue. It is possible that the coaches just overused him ala Jones/Nink and he tired out. 

Not making an evaluation on whether he's good or not... just answering your question on why coaches might make him cap if he has effort/motivation issue.

Not just in sports, sometimes, talented people who underachieve are assigned more responsibility in the hope that the bigger challenge forces the person to step up. It does not always work, but I have seen times when it did.

Sections
Shortcuts