***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

Also, Fresh Full 3 Round Mock I did:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/2014/04/three-round-mock-draft-426.html" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/2014/04/three-round-mock-draft-426.html

Nix III, Martin and Fiedoro as the Pats selections

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Outstanding stuff! It does look like he reads the draft thread. Lol!

The only guy I don't agree with is Crichton, I find him to be an average prospect and I didn't enjoy watching his tape as much as McShay did...totally agree with his view on Landry.

[/QUOTE]

I'm with you, have watched Crichton, but he didn't jump off the tape to me... maybe I should watch it again.

Landry is one of the few prospects where I'll go back and watch the same tape over again... just love watching this kid play the game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

Cody Latimer is a hot name... why? I mean the kid is solid but why is he jumping up the board?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

He's an early entry and wasn't a big name so his tape is prob catching up to him, IDK... I mean, he's prob rising in the eyes of media types that are just getting around to him, but there are some that have been touting this kid for a while and I'm sure NFL Personnel men have known about him for a while.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Arizona's Marquis Flowers is a name to keep an eye on on Day 3.  I believe NE has been in contact with him and he's a 6-3 231 former S that's now utilized as more of a Will backer with some edge and coverage responsibilites.  He has very good timed speed (4.51) and it shows up on tape and he's also a fluid kid (backed up by his 7.06 3C), but looks to be lacking in the instincts/awareness dept at this point,  and while the effort is there, he seems tentative at times and is prob more athlete than football player, IMO... though those are the types that you might take a chance on late in the draft.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

Arizona's Marquis Flowers is a name to keep an eye on on Day 3.  I believe NE has been in contact with him and he's a 6-3 231 former S that's now utilized as more of a Will backer with some edge and coverage responsibilites.  He has very good timed speed (4.51) and it shows up on tape and he's also a fluid kid (backed up by his 7.06 3C), but looks to be lacking in the instincts/awareness dept at this point,  and while the effort is there, he seems tentative at times and is prob more athlete than football player, IMO... though those are the types that you might take a chance on late in the draft.

[/QUOTE]

I'll check him out, thanks. One of these days I'm going to post 30 guys I really like and 30 guys I really think are going to be busts. When looking at all these players that will be drafted in round one/two, let's face it half of them will be "busts" for whatever reason...weather it be injury, effort, bad luck, scheme, lost in coaching changes, etc. I'd like to do this just so I could look back and say...yeah I was right, or crap I was wrong.

A couple of years ago I was pretty wrong on a few guys...Jared Odrick was a guy who I thought shouldn't of gone in the first and would turn into a player that was going to average at best, I was wrong there. I was in love with the defensive end from Michigan that Philly took - cant remember his name - Brandon something, but he has been a bust due to injuries, etc. I loved Ryan Mathews and I thought even better about myself after San Diego took him so early, well the kid hasn't lived up to his hype. And too me he should of because he is playing in an offense that has a quarterback that teams have to focus on. With Mathews I just thought this kid had so much balance and strength in his running that he was going to be really good - he's been pretty good, but when you go that high you need to be more than that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'll check him out, thanks. One of these days I'm going to post 30 guys I really like and 30 guys I really think are going to be busts. When looking at all these players that will be drafted in round one/two, let's face it half of them will be "busts" for whatever reason...weather it be injury, effort, bad luck, scheme, lost in coaching changes, etc. I'd like to do this just so I could look back and say...yeah I was right, or crap I was wrong.

A couple of years ago I was pretty wrong on a few guys...Jared Odrick was a guy who I thought shouldn't of gone in the first and would turn into a player that was going to average at best, I was wrong there. I was in love with the defensive end from Michigan that Philly took - cant remember his name - Brandon something, but he has been a bust due to injuries, etc. I loved Ryan Mathews and I thought even better about myself after San Diego took him so early, well the kid hasn't lived up to his hype. And too me he should of because he is playing in an offense that has a quarterback that teams have to focus on. With Mathews I just thought this kid had so much balance and strength in his running that he was going to be really good - he's been pretty good, but when you go that high you need to be more than that.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we all get some wrong... I was pretty high on Courtney Upshaw in 2012 and he hasn't amounted to much... I was also a big Ryan Matthews guy and while he has a tone of natural talent, his durability and ball security have been problems.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

After playing that Draft Game from the other thread and further exploring players for this draft, I'm starting to see the value of player versatility. We have multiple team needs, but only have room for a finite number of rookie players. Thus, those players must combine to fulfill all of those areas of need.

Versatile players like Bitonio, Tuitt, Easley, Amaro, M. Smith etc will have more value than some of the one trick ponies. Bitonio, Tuitt/Easley, Smith fill multiple needs (G/C/T depth, DT/DE depth, DE/LB depth) with three picks. Add in a TE and double dip at DL and that would be a nice haul.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Archer1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

After playing that Draft Game from the other thread and further exploring players for this draft, I'm starting to see the value of player versatility. We have multiple team needs, but only have room for a finite number of rookie players. Thus, those players must combine to fulfill all of those areas of need.

Versatile players like Bitonio, Tuitt, Easley, Amaro, M. Smith etc will have more value than some of the one trick ponies. Bitonio, Tuitt/Easley, Smith fill multiple needs (G/C/T depth, DT/DE depth, DE/LB depth) with three picks. Add in a TE and double dip at DL and that would be a nice haul.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed on the versatility and BB puts a tone of value in it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

I also put a bump on players that were team captains...

The more high character, tough, football loving team-first players we have, the better off we will be.

Some of my other random draft thoughts

-I am starting to prefer DaQuan Jones as the interior DL of choice for the Pats. Reminds me of Red Bryant a bit...Between his pedigree, toughness, leadership, size, and relative draft position - I would prefer him in the third over other DL options in the 1st

-Really starting to like Kareem Martin from NC. Has elite (Clowney-esque - see NEPatriotsDraft.com article on DE Athleticism) athletic measureables and size to go with high FB IQ and productivity. Also, a team captain.

-Louis Nix was my first draft binkie, but have since cooled on him considerably. Although his size, skillset, and draft situation remind me of Wilfork - I don't want to use a first round pick on a run stuffer this year. Also, he has said that he left school to provide for his 13 siblings. Certainly noble, smart, and a generous thing to do (I'd do the same), but it makes me think he is all about the money. 340-lb+ guys who are only interested in money scare me a bit.

-Joel Bitonio is my favorite OL prospect by far. I'd be happy if he was taken with our first pick. Pats OL has some question marks (injury concerns with the tackles, quality/depth concerns on the interior) & you don't want to wait to find out your OL is broken. Keep stocking the trenches every year. Adding more tough, versatile OL to supplement the line when Dante is gone seems like a better idea than not. 

- Honing in on Troy Niklas as the TE that I want. I think Amaro is talented, but soft. Niklas is a complete TE in the Gronk mold that can play in his place or opposite of him. I think the running game and play action game would be amazing with a two-TE set where the two TEs are 6'6 270. CJ Fed just isn't talented enough. I think he is destined to be a blocker. TE dries up after those three so Niklas in the second will have to be the pick.

My Ideal Draft 

Pats are able to trade down from the 1st for a team looking to secure a QB (Garropolo, Savage, Carr etc) and net a 2nd, 3rd.

2A: Joel Bitonio - Tough, versatile OL

2B: Troy Niklas - "Mini" Gronk and best TE prospect IMO

3A: Kareem Martin (or Dominique Easley if he falls and Martin is unavailable) - Productive DE depth with upside

3C: Marcus Smith - Versatile, fast defensive edge player to pair with Collins

4A: DaQuan Jones - Tough, versatile defensive lineman

4B: Dontae Johnson - Versatile defensive back; played corner, safety, nickel, ST with size

6A: Brandon Coleman - Big, project receiver with Rutgers connection

6B: DeAnthony Thomas - Dynamic athlete; kick returner and speedy running back with hands

7: BB Knows Best - What do I know anyway?

Obviously some of my picks may be a bit optimistic, but hoping for the best. I would prefer Jarvis Landry in the 4th over Johnson/Coleman if he was available there. So maybe Landry with 4B and a DB with 6A.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Trying to keep my board as small as possible, but there's so much dadgum talent in this class that it's nearly impossible... with that said, below is my up to date Big 65 Board:

Rd 1
    LB- Ryan Shazier
    DT- Stephon Tuitt
    DE/OLB- Kony Ealy
    DT- Louis Nix III
    OLB/DE- J. Attaochu
    OLB/DE- D. Lawrence
    WR- Kelvin Benjamin
    DT- Timmy Jernigan
    DT- Ra'shede Hageman

Rd 1-2
    S- Jimmie Ward
    OL- Joel Bitonio
    LB- Kyle Van Noy
    DE/OLB- Marcus Smith
    DT- Dominique Easley

Rd 2
    WR- Jarvis Landry
    DE/OLB- Trent Murphy
    S- Deone Bucannon
    WR- Cody Latimer
    RB- Carlos Hyde
    WR- Donte Moncrief
    LB- Telvin Smith
    CB/S- Lamarcus Joyner
    LB- Chris Borland
    TE- Troy Niklas
    TE- Austin Seferian-Jenkins
    TE- Jace Amaro

Rd 2-3
    DT- DaQuan Jones
    CB- Stanley Jean Baptiste
    OL Ja'Waun James
    DE/OLB- Trevor Reilly
    OL- Weston Richburg
    OL- Marcus Martin
    DT- Ego Ferguson
    WR- Bruce Ellington
    DT- Kelcy Quarles

Rd 3
    DT- Brent Urban
    WR- Jared Abbrederis
    TE- CJ Fiedorowicz
    CB- Phillip Gaines
    QB- AJ McCarron
    RB- Devonte Freeman

Rd 4-7
    LB- Christian Kirksey
    LB- Max Bullough
    DT- Ed Stinson
    OLB/DE- Adrian Hubbard
    CB- Dontae Johnson
    S- Antone Exum
    S- Craig Loston
    TE- Arthur Lynch
    OL- John Urschel
    OL- Wesley Johnson
    OL- Chris Watt
    OL- Anthony Steen
    CB- Dexter McDougle
    S- Brock Vereen
    S- Vinnie Sunseri
    QB- Logan Thomas
    WR- Kain Colter
    RB- Tyler Gaffney
    LB- James Morris
    TE- Ted Bolser
    TE- Rob Blanchflower
    RB- Alfred Blue
    RB- Rajion Neal
    RB- Lorenzo Taliaferro

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Morning Fellas.  Random thought for the day...  I think that UW RB Bishop Sankey could be the perfect fit for our system.  A true all purpose back who has great vision and a real knack for popping a big run.  He is similar to Ridley in skillet, but I like Sankey a little better.  So, my question is would BB consider drafting Sankey at, say 62, and then turning around and dealing Ridley for a 5th rounder or so, possibly grabbing a bigger RB late, or even a priority UDFA to fill the roster?  Far fetched, I know, but just a thought.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Morning Fellas.  Random thought for the day...  I think that UW RB Bishop Sankey could be the perfect fit for our system.  A true all purpose back who has great vision and a real knack for popping a big run.  He is similar to Ridley in skillet, but I like Sankey a little better.  So, my question is would BB consider drafting Sankey at, say 62, and then turning around and dealing Ridley for a 5th rounder or so, possibly grabbing a bigger RB late, or even a priority UDFA to fill the roster?  Far fetched, I know, but just a thought.

I think they would get a better draft pick as compensation for letting him sign elsewhere after next season. Wouldn't they be better served to keep Ridley around and not be forced to rush Sankey into playing time? Just like I didn't give up on Ghost, I'm not ready to give up on Ridley either. He is a good running back. Many running backs struggle with fumbles early in their career including the great Adrian Peterson.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Very good football player, really like how he plays the game.  

I think he's closer to Vereen than Ridley.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Hey MB.  Just a shout-out to your "big board" this year.  I love the prospects that you have identified this year.  If I had to construct a realistic draft for NE, based strictly off of your board, I think I would do the following...

1). Nix

I know his stock has fallen in the eyes of many, but I still think he is a blue-chip DT and a near "must pick" if he is available.

2). ASJ 

again, his stock has fallen, mainly due to a DUI, but I think he is a very gifted athlete and a great value here.

3). Urban

pairing this guy with Nix would give our D-line a tremendous boost.  2 years from now people may wonder how he fell as far as he did.  Tons of upside.

4A). Logan Thomas

wing and a prayer here.  One of the most atheletically gifted QBs we've seen.  Give him 2 years behind Brady, polishing his mechanics, and who knows?

4B). Urschel

Smart, hard working, and well coached.  More talented than given credit for, too.  I think he will be very good for a long time.

6A). Exum

again, a very good and versatile Defensive Back who may slide into the late rounds due to injury history.  Worth the gamble here.

6B). Gaffney

we surely need RB help, and Gaffney is underrated.

7). Morris

again, LB is a need.  I would like to address it sooner, but quality depth can be found late this year.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cody Latimer is a hot name... why? I mean the kid is solid but why is he jumping up the board?

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

because there are 2 extra weeks and the media has to talk about something

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama

Mosley has the four things you look for in a linebacker: instincts, motor, sure tackling and the versatility to be an every-down player. He is a relentless, tough and disciplined playmaker. He carries some injury and durability concerns with him into the league, but there isn't anything not to like about what you see from him on tape. He should go off the board in the first half of the first round; I've got him as the No. 8 player on my board.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Not a big Mosley fan myself. Ala tends to get the most out of their D players in a pro style system so imo he's reached his ceiling and it's not as high as Hightowers was. Additionally Ala puts a ton of wear and tear on their players and when one is already coming out with a major injury it's never a good sign. In the 2nd I'd take a sot but in the 1st I'd have concerns about his upside and that injury, only because he's coming from Ala

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Saw Lattimer was invited to the Draft in NYC and accepted. Is he really a first rounder? Could be awfully embarrassing to sit there all day with the camera on you...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Archer1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Saw Lattimer was invited to the Draft in NYC and accepted. Is he really a first rounder? Could be awfully embarrassing to sit there all day with the camera on you...

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

He could be a day 2 invite. I think he's worth a 3rd-4th but I can see someone spending a late 2nd on him

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

Hey MB.  Just a shout-out to your "big board" this year.  I love the prospects that you have identified this year.  If I had to construct a realistic draft for NE, based strictly off of your board, I think I would do the following...

1). Nix

I know his stock has fallen in the eyes of many, but I still think he is a blue-chip DT and a near "must pick" if he is available.

2). ASJ 

again, his stock has fallen, mainly due to a DUI, but I think he is a very gifted athlete and a great value here.

3). Urban

pairing this guy with Nix would give our D-line a tremendous boost.  2 years from now people may wonder how he fell as far as he did.  Tons of upside.

4A). Logan Thomas

wing and a prayer here.  One of the most atheletically gifted QBs we've seen.  Give him 2 years behind Brady, polishing his mechanics, and who knows?

4B). Urschel

Smart, hard working, and well coached.  More talented than given credit for, too.  I think he will be very good for a long time.

6A). Exum

again, a very good and versatile Defensive Back who may slide into the late rounds due to injury history.  Worth the gamble here.

6B). Gaffney

we surely need RB help, and Gaffney is underrated.

7). Morris

again, LB is a need.  I would like to address it sooner, but quality depth can be found late this year.  

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, brothah!  You could mix and match/debate the final destination of a few of the Day 3 kids, but overall, I'd love that haul... sure would love to get one of the WR's though... there's so many avaiable that there should be some steals available at some point.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Love him, think he is the best back in this draft, but he is far from perfect. He will fumble...although he is very physical for a guy his size he is a bit on the small side.

Whoever gets Sankey will be getting a strong, quick back who has GREAT vision. I love watching him run, too me he has been the funnest guy to watch during this whole process - he can block too - and catch. If Sankey were an inch taller and ten pounds heavier we'd be talking about a top 15 pick here. I just don't think you can teach a guy to run with his type of vision - he reads it so fast - then gets through that hole in a flash. And once he's through that hole he picks up huge chunks of real estate.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Has there been much discussion on UNC DE Kareem Martin anywhere in the previous 126 pages? I don't see him on MBs big board and am curious why. We have the need. He has the size, athleticism, production, and attitude. Yet, no love? What are the thoughts here on his game and where he will be selected?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

OK I think I know what I would like BB to do (which is not good because except for the no brainer of drafting Wilfork when he dropped BB does not follow my suggestions... ever):

1. Trade down a few spots in the draft but not far

2. Draft Tuitt to be the next Richard Seymour

3. With our 2nd round pick take Colt Lyerla to be a better Hernandez than Hernandez and put it in his contract that he has to stay clean off the field in every way...

If we get those two guys and they pan out it will be huge... And with this deep draft we will be able to get two or three other competitive players. Maybe another LB, RB and O lineman.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejuice1. Show thejuice1's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

OK I think I know what I would like BB to do (which is not good because except for the no brainer of drafting Wilfork when he dropped BB does not follow my suggestions... ever):

3. With our 2nd round pick take Colt Lyerla to be a better Hernandez than Hernandez and put it in his contract that he has to stay clean off the field in every way...

If we get those two guys and they pan out it will be huge... And with this deep draft we will be able to get two or three other competitive players. Maybe another LB, RB and O lineman.

[/QUOTE]

drafting colt l in rd 2 would be awful. you could easily get him in the 4th rd or later. and with all his ?'s i wouldnt touch him until rd 6. if you're talking one of the top te's if they fall to the end of rd 2, im all for it, but colt, no thanks. if you get tuitt in rd 1, go TE, OL, WR or DT in rd 2. Because Tuitt could play both de and dt for us, if we got him in rd 1, ideally id go for TE, OL, WR, S in rd 2 in that order. but certainly wouldnt pass up another de or dt if value is there

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to thejuice1's comment:

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

drafting colt l in rd 2 would be awful. you could easily get him in the 4th rd or later. and with all his ?'s i wouldnt touch him until rd 6. if you're talking one of the top te's if they fall to the end of rd 2, im all for it, but colt, no thanks. if you get tuitt in rd 1, go TE, OL, WR or DT in rd 2. Because Tuitt could play both de and dt for us, if we got him in rd 1, ideally id go for TE, OL, WR, S in rd 2 in that order. but certainly wouldnt pass up another de or dt if value is there

[/QUOTE]

I can see your point about waiting on Lyerla. I wont disagree about waiting at least one more round on him. And I would not take him if I had not met with him to size him up - which of course I cannot do personally.

I also agree about Tuitt and so about getting another DL as well.

I do not like the idea of spending a pick in rounds 1-3 on a WR this year UNLESS the coaching staff has lost faith in all of the rookie WRs from last year. I prefer to get an RB to a WR due to contract issues next year. And I prefer to get a good interior OL and a good TE and/or another LB rather than RB or WR.

I have to add I am all for talent at any position. I just think we have more needs at some.

And I do hope we are able to trade Mallet though I wont hold my breath.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Round 1.  Aaron Donald  DT - BB trades #29 and Mallet for NYG 12th pick.  interior pass-rusher can also play End 

Round 2.  Martin   OG/C,  UCS  - a versatile OL

Round 3.  Fiedorowicz  TE   Iowa  - (since everyone has this pick, it inevitably won't happen)

Round 4.  Garoppolo  QB   Eastern Ill  -  consistency with good numbers  

Round 4.  Andre Williams   RB  Boston College   

Round 5.  McCullers  DT  Tenn  (can't resist at this point and BB likes to double down on positional needs)

Round 6.  Brown  ILB  Louisville 

Round 6.  Janis  WR  Saginaw Valley - Div11 receptions leader with speed, athleticism and size at 6'3" 220

Round 7.  Rodgers  TE  Cal  (another local boy and BB double down at TE)

Sections
Shortcuts