***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to Archer1's comment:

Has there been much discussion on UNC DE Kareem Martin anywhere in the previous 126 pages? I don't see him on MBs big board and am curious why. We have the need. He has the size, athleticism, production, and attitude. Yet, no love? What are the thoughts here on his game and where he will be selected?

Good questions... IDK... I can tell you that he hasn't been mentioned much and not sure why.  Looked at some more of his tape this AM... long kid, generally plays hard (appears gassed at times), can set the edge, active in pursuit and makes plays down the LOS.  Doesn't look overly explosive or dynamic off the edge and I didn't see much of him playing in a 2-point stance and/or in space, but there is a lot to like.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Round 1.  Aaron Donald  DT - BB trades #29 and Mallet for NYG 12th pick.  interior pass-rusher can also play End 

Round 2.  Martin   OG/C,  UCS  - a versatile OL

Round 3.  Fiedorowicz  TE   Iowa  - (since everyone has this pick, it inevitably won't happen)

Round 4.  Garoppolo  QB   Eastern Ill  -  consistency with good numbers  

Round 4.  Andre Williams   RB  Boston College   

Round 5.  McCullers  DT  Tenn  (can't resist at this point and BB likes to double down on positional needs)

Round 6.  Brown  ILB  Louisville 

Round 6.  Janis  WR  Saginaw Valley - Div11 receptions leader with speed, athleticism and size at 6'3" 220

Round 7.  Rodgers  TE  Cal  (another local boy and BB double down at TE)

[/QUOTE]

I think Martin, CFJ, Williams, McCullers, Brown Janis and Rodgers are realistic where you have them.  To your comment, I think CJF is the player that's most commonly mocked to NE, and for good reason, ha.

On the other side, they'd have to give up a heck of a lot more than that to move up to #12.

I also think Garoppolo is gone inside the Top 40/50... and doesn't make it out of Rd 2 at the very least.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Some Pre-Draft Superlatives:

Favorite Offensive Prospect- LSU WR Jarvis Landry (also my favorite prospect overall)

Favorite Defensive Prospect- MSU CB Darqueze Dennard 

Favorite Small School Prospect- Montana LB Jordan Tripp

Favorite Tweener- FSU LB Telvin Smith

Biggest Sleeper- UVA DL Brent Urban 

Late Round Steal- Maryland CB Dexter McDougle

Looks The Part- ND TE Troy Niklas

No Thanks- TE Colt Lyerla

I Bet Belichick Loved His 3C and Workouts- Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks

The Most Underrated- BYU LB Kyle Van Noy

The Most Overrated- ASU DT Will Sutton

The Most Maddening Prospect To Watch- Minnesota DL Ra'Shede Hageman

The Most Mocked To New England- Iowa TE CJ Fiedorowicz

The Best Player That No One Really Talks About- Wisconsin LB Chris Borland

The Best Player That Many Have Never Heard Of- Nevada CB Phillip Gaines

The Best Potential Value- VT DB Antone Exum (talent vs. expected draft position)

The Smartest Prospect- PSU OL John Urschel

The Next Edelman- NW WR Kain Colter

The Next Welker- WF WR Michael Campanaro

The Next Mankins- Nevada OL Joel Bitonio

The Next Chandler- Mizzou DE/OLB Kony Ealy

The Next DMC- NIU S Jimmie Ward

The Next Honey Badger (on the field)- Lamarcus Joyner

What are yours?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

Has there been much discussion on UNC DE Kareem Martin anywhere in the previous 126 pages? I don't see him on MBs big board and am curious why. We have the need. He has the size, athleticism, production, and attitude. Yet, no love? What are the thoughts here on his game and where he will be selected?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah he certainly looks the part, but when I watch him I'm not impressed, plus didn't he do basically nothing prior to last season? I've read that he played harder do to the payday the draft will offer, now if so he certainly wouldn't be the first guy to do that, or necessarily be a bust...but too me he just seems to be an average player in a Super Hero body.

With this guy it looks like there will be some serious "projecting" going on...how will he project with more this, or more that? How will he look in a couple of years? How will he perform with better coaching? With better players around him? Those are tough questions to answer - and I hate players like that - guys that look like him when they put their hand in the dirt (all pro builds), but don't play like it. 

I think if you are talking him as a fourth rounder, then sure, but higher than that and I would of liked to of seen better play out of him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Sleeper:  Worked out by the Patriots recently, (Draft Ace listed) other sites say unconfirmed.  Maybe a Vollmer situation again, low profile.

Jamal Ellis, DS #108 OG, Newberry 

Name: Jamal Ellis
    College: Newberry Number: 63
    Height: 6-4 Weight: 324
    Position: OG Pos2:
    Class/Draft Year: rSr/2014
    40 Low: 5.12 40 Time: 5.24 40 High: 5.

Pro Day Results
    Dates: 04/01/14 

Height: 6035
    Weight: 324
    40 Yrd Dash: 5.20
    20 Yrd Dash: 3.11
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.84 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 26
    Vertical Jump: 24
    Broad Jump: 08'06"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.96
    3-Cone Drill: 7.91

40 Time Range: 5.20-5.27

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Favorite Offensive Prospect- Ole Miss WR Donte Moncrief - only 8 prospects in the last 20 years have come out with his combo of size, speed, strength and 5 were pro-bowlers

Favorite Defensive Prospect- Minn DT Ra'Shede Hageman - I really wanted Watt and he's my second chance

Favorite Small School Prospect- Dixie State TE Joe Don Duncan

Favorite Tweener- Vir Tech CB/S Antone Exum

Biggest Sleeper- W Vir DE Will Clark

Late Round Steal- S Florida DE Aaron Lynch

Looks The Part- Iowa TE CJ Fiedorowicz

No Thanks- 3 players TE Colt Lyerla, TE Colt Lyerla, TE Colt Lyerla

I Bet Belichick Loved His 3C and Workouts- Geo S. RB Jerick McKinnon - top 5 in every category at the combine. Talk about a BB wet dream

The Most Underrated- BC LB Steele Divitto

The Most Overrated- Lou QB Teddy Bridgewater

The Most Maddening Prospect To Watch- Tenn DT Daniel McCullers

The Best Player That No One Really Talks About- Geo S. RB Jerick McKinnon

The Best Player That Many Have Never Heard Of- Saginaw Valley WR Jeff Janis

The Best Potential Value- S Florida DE Aaron Lynch

The Next Edelman- Geo S. RB Jerick McKinnon

The Next Welker- Mich WR Jeremy Gallon

The Next Mankins- Baylor OL Cyril Richardson

The Next DMC- Flo S FS Terrence Brooks

The Next Honey Badger (on the field)- TCU CB Jason Verrett

What are yours?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Kareem Martin tested at Clowney levels at the combine which makes me think that his lack of burst during the season was possibly due to undisclosed injury. The reason I think that it isn't an effort/motivation issue is because he was a team captain. If he was a lazy worker, why would the coaches bestow that honor on him? He had 20+ TFL and 11.5 sacks so productivity wasn't a huge issue. It is possible that the coaches just overused him ala Jones/Nink and he tired out. 

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2014/04/2014-edge-rushers-analyzing-athleticism.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2014/04/2014-edge-rushers-analyzing-athleticism.html

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/kareem-martin?id=2543738" rel="nofollow">http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/kareem-martin?id=2543738

Seems like the weaknesses that he has can be fixed with coaching and practice. He has the natural size, ability, and ethic IMO. He has emerged as a binky for me at a position that really needs addressing. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Favorite Offensive Prospect- Ole Miss WR Donte Moncrief - only 8 prospects in the last 20 years have come out with his combo of size, speed, strength and 5 were pro-bowlers

Favorite Defensive Prospect- Minn DT Ra'Shede Hageman - I really wanted Watt and he's my second chance

I Bet Belichick Loved His 3C and Workouts- Geo S. RB Jerick McKinnon - top 5 in every category at the combine. Talk about a BB wet dream

What are yours?

[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What are yours?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Though it's obvious you can't stand Lyerla , it appears you would kill someone to get McKinnon but he would be redundant as they already have Edelman and Boyce and Amendola and Orton and Dunn all of whom play the slot! So don't hold your breath waiting for your wet dream to don a Patriots uniform.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Though it's obvious you can't stand Lyerla , it appears you would kill someone to get McKinnon but he would be redundant as they already have Edelman and Boyce and Amendola and Orton and Dunn all of whom play the slot! So don't hold your breath waiting for your wet dream to don a Patriots uniform.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

lol except McKinnon is a RB not a WR...... switch your name back genius doesn't suit you lol  j/k

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Though it's obvious you can't stand Lyerla , it appears you would kill someone to get McKinnon but he would be redundant as they already have Edelman and Boyce and Amendola and Orton and Dunn all of whom play the slot! So don't hold your breath waiting for your wet dream to don a Patriots uniform.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

lol except McKinnon is a RB not a WR...... switch your name back genius doesn't suit you lol  j/k

[/QUOTE] Then why did you reference him as the next Edelman? The only logical comparison would be the next Danny Woodhead. Yeah I don't like using the Genius label and prefer the Bozo then no one gets their panties in a bunch when I critic their opinions.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

Kareem Martin tested at Clowney levels at the combine which makes me think that his lack of burst during the season was possibly due to undisclosed injury. The reason I think that it isn't an effort/motivation issue is because he was a team captain. If he was a lazy worker, why would the coaches bestow that honor on him? He had 20+ TFL and 11.5 sacks so productivity wasn't a huge issue. It is possible that the coaches just overused him ala Jones/Nink and he tired out. 

[/QUOTE]

Not making an evaluation on whether he's good or not... just answering your question on why coaches might make him cap if he has effort/motivation issue.

Not just in sports, sometimes, talented people who underachieve are assigned more responsibility in the hope that the bigger challenge forces the person to step up. It does not always work, but I have seen times when it did.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Then why did you reference him as the next Edelman? The only logical comparison would be the next Danny Woodhead. Yeah I don't like using the Genius label and prefer the Bozo then no one gets their panties in a bunch when I critic their opinions.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Because both would be converted QB's from college transitioning to new positions in the Pro's. Like Edelman McKinnon shows a lot of potential at his new position but will need a year or two to develop into it. Most think McKinnon in his first year will earn his spot on STs and most think he could do it as a return man. With the exception of position (which btw Edelman mainly plays outside not in the slot) they are actually very comparable.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

[QUOTE]

Then why did you reference him as the next Edelman? The only logical comparison would be the next Danny Woodhead. Yeah I don't like using the Genius label and prefer the Bozo then no one gets their panties in a bunch when I critic their opinions.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Because both would be converted QB's from college transitioning to new positions in the Pro's. Like Edelman McKinnon shows a lot of potential at his new position but will need a year or two to develop into it. Most think McKinnon in his first year will earn his spot on STs and most think he could do it as a return man. With the exception of position (which btw Edelman mainly plays outside not in the slot) they are actually very comparable.

[/QUOTE] I disagree with your assumption that #11 plays more on the WR position than he does in the slot receiver position. If you want to compare McKinnon to Edelman as being former college QB's that's about where it ends. Whether or not he becomes a surprise starter at some point in his career I can't see BB wasting more than a 6th round draft choice on him. . Though the CBS big board has him listed as the #137 best player in this draft

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

I disagree with your assumption that #11 plays more on the WR position than he does in the slot receiver position. If you want to compare McKinnon to Edelman as being former college QB's that's about where it ends. Whether or not he becomes a surprise starter at some point in his career I can't see BB wasting more than a 6th round draft choice on him. . Though the CBS big board has him listed as the #137 best player in this draft

[/QUOTE]

I'm actually pretty sure he plays more WR (actually almost 100% of the time except those couple times he was a RB than a WR) but according to pro football focus he made a little less than half his catches from the slot position and most of those catches came when Amendola was not playing. When Amendola was playing Edelman was mostly on the outside while Amendola lined up mostly in the slot.

As for the Edelman/McKinnon comparison, other than them both being college QB's, both switching positions at the pro level, both having scouts believe they need to break through rosters as return men, both posting top notch 3 cone numbers at the combine, both known for quick juke moves and being elusive, and both with day 3 grades yep nothing a like in the least.

Then again you thought McKinnon was a WR so I guess you must know a lot about him to make a proper comparison.

[object HTMLDivElement]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Could NE bring in a potential late round gem at RB?

We know BB likes big backs and Indiana's Stephen Houston is that, at 5-10 225.  He also was outstanding at his Pro Day, with a listed 4.46/4.52 40, 11 in broad jump, 40 in vert, 7.07 3C, 4.23 SS and 24 reps @ 225.

There isn't a ton of film available on him, but he did show some speed, burst, power, balance and agility in what I did see... and he's had some decent production as a 3 year player

2011: 151-802-8

2012: 161-749-12

2013: 112-753- 5

He's also flashed some hands and has caught 65 balls during his career.

NE has also appears to have worked him out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Mississippi St. ......hahaha

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mississippi St. ......hahaha

[/QUOTE]

I'm not getting the reference? ha

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

BJGE, Bolden. Thought they went there. Seems like we like their RB's.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BJGE, Bolden. Thought they went there. Seems like we like their RB's.

[/QUOTE]

Ahh, gotcha... both were Ole Miss backs, though ironically, Benny started his career at Indiana, ha.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The final mock is finally coming into focus and while I could very well see them targeting Niklas or ASJ or CJF on day 2... I have them waiting until Day 3, Rd 7 actually, to select a TE... we'll see if I change my mind before draft day.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

[QUOTE]

I disagree with your assumption that #11 plays more on the WR position than he does in the slot receiver position. If you want to compare McKinnon to Edelman as being former college QB's that's about where it ends. Whether or not he becomes a surprise starter at some point in his career I can't see BB wasting more than a 6th round draft choice on him. . Though the CBS big board has him listed as the #137 best player in this draft

I'm actually pretty sure he plays more WR (actually almost 100% of the time except those couple times he was a RB than a WR) but according to pro football focus he made a little less than half his catches from the slot position and most of those catches came when Amendola was not playing. When Amendola was playing Edelman was mostly on the outside while Amendola lined up mostly in the slot.

As for the Edelman/McKinnon comparison, other than them both being college QB's, both switching positions at the pro level, both having scouts believe they need to break through rosters as return men, both posting top notch 3 cone numbers at the combine, both known for quick juke moves and being elusive, and both with day 3 grades yep nothing a like in the least.

Then again you thought McKinnon was a WR so I guess you must know a lot about him to make a proper comparison.

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE] Take the bunch out of your panties! Who gives a rats patoot about where McKinnon played position wise or for that fact where he projects as a pro! He just another midget RB,QB, KR or whatever your dream is. I looked him enough to find out what you were raving about, personally I don't see anything worth jumping up and down for...He'll be drafted in some round between late 3 and 7. No big deal. Oh by the 50.3 percent of the time #11 lined up at WR as opposed to 49.7 percent of the snaps at SWR which is his position once Dobson returns. He simply moved outside out of necessity.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Here's my stab. Unfortunately, for some categories, I can't decide between two prospects.

Favorite Offensive Prospect- Brandin Cooks and Gabe Jackson

Favorite Defensive Prospect- Khalil Mack and Kyle Fuller

Favorite Small School Prospect- Does Buffalo (Khalil Mack) count?

Favorite Tweener- Telvin Smith

Biggest Sleeper-

Late Round Steal- Vinnie Sunseri

Looks The Part- Troy Niklas

No Thanks- Colt Lyerla

I Bet Belichick Loved His 3C and Workouts- Brandin Cooks

The Most Underrated- Tyler Gaffney or Bryan Stork

The Most Overrated- Tom Savage (I like him as a backup; Is he really 2 rnds better than McCarron?)

The Most Maddening Prospect To Watch- Ra'Shede Hageman

The Most Mocked To New England- CJ Fiedorowicz

The Best Player That No One Really Talks About- Will Clarke or Carl Bradford

The Best Player That Many Have Never Heard Of- Nevada CB Phillip Gaines

The Best Potential Value- VT DB Antone Exum (talent vs. expected draft position)

The Smartest Prospect- John Urschel

The Next Edelman-

The Next Welker- UDFA slot receiver who will be good in the NFL? Brandon Wimberly

Undrafted Tall Receiver who will have a good NFL career - Lacoltan Bester (I am assuming he's in the draft)

Undrafted RB who will have a good NFL career - Marion Grice

The Next Mankins- Nasty good OG? Gabe Jackson

The Next Chandler- Not sure what this means... Marcus Smith

The Next DMC- Drafted high as a CB then ending up being a good S? Jean-Baptiste

The Next Honey Badger (on the field)-

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Sleeper RB from OURLADS evaluation.

Underrated Running Backs (Sleepers/Gems)
    Posted on April 10, 2014 by Dan Shonka
    By Nolan Kuzmick, Ourlads’ Draft Analyst

LaDarius Perkins–Mississippi State, rSr: Hits holes quick, doesn’t need much space to get through. Has nice soft hands, catches the ball and gets up field immediately. Lowers his shoulder and powers into defenders, always going forward. Stops fast and has the ability to change direction quickly. Lays a nice chip on defenders when blocking. Had very solid results at the combine. My top RB sleeper this year. Projected FA, worthy of a 3rd round choice

Branden Oliver–Buffalo, rSr: Powerful back with good size to run over guys and carry them with him. Can be used in short yardage situations, but also has the speed to weave through defenders and find the end zone. Doesn’t have the fastest cuts, but settles his feet and prepares for impact and takes time to cut in the correct direction, once he decides he has good acceleration. Has the ability to lose defenders with his cuts and find open field. Showed improvement in his catching, pass protection and quickness in cuts during his senior season. Projected FA, worthy of a 5th round choice
    Tim Flanders–Sam Houston State, rSr: Runs with good pad level and can push for extra yards while being tackled, puts his shoulder down and inflicts the hit. Has a nice slide hop sideways to find the running lane, great lateral movement. Runs with nice patience, but gets upfield immediately once it’s open. Has good hands out of the back field, gets out of the back field fast and finds open field, can catch the intermediate to long balls. Can grind out the tough yards and shows a burst of speed. Efficient style runner who gets the tough yards and can break it. Smaller school talent that didn’t receive enough recognition. Projected FA, worthy of a 5th round pick

Kapri Bibbs–Colorado State, rSo: Has a zig-zag running style, cutting back often. Has good hips and is elusive with his cut back, losing defenders. Can plow through arm tackles and get yards after contact with nice leg drive. Strong runner that makes space and can get large chunk yardage, but is mainly a grind it out kind of runner. Projected FA, worthy of a 6th round pick

Storm Johnson-UCF, rJr: Johnson can take it all the way on any given play and his elusiveness and acceleration are most impressive. He can stop and start and cutback to find running lanes, making each play exciting. Johnson is extraordinary catching out of the backfield and on draws. His skill set fits a third down RB in the NFL, but at 215 pounds he may be an every down back if he can prove he can run it up the middle at the next level and carry the load. Projected 5th round, worthy of a 3rd round choice

Vintavious Cooper–East Carolina, Sr: Elusive 3rd down back that is best on draws and screens. Can slip through small holes and sneak past defenders, dangerous when he can get in the open field and make big plays. Has nice hands and can run through arm tackles. Explosive in his cuts, runs very sharp and crisp. Isn’t a big powerful runner, but at 200 pounds he isn’t the easiest to bring down, runs hard for a player with his size and speed. Has a playing style similar to Darren Sproles or Jaquizz Rodgers. Projected FA, worthy of a 6th round choice