***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

I finally heard one person say negative things about Kony Ealy...Mike Mayock. He said he never thought Ealy would fall, but after watching more tape on him, he sees a guy that is a bit stiff and outside of his game against Texas a and m, his tape is not impressive. He says he has talked to GMs and they feel he looks stiff on tape and in workouts. He said he sees him as a base 43 end and no 34 teams are showing this kid any love.

I think this is the most overrated defensive player I've seen in this draft. I've watched game, after game, after game on him and I just don't see the player everyone is so excited about. All I see is him getting blocked and blocked and blocked...and he's not being doubled either. He does have very good size - and maybe he will develop into something special - but I don't see it right now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I finally heard one person say negative things about Kony Ealy...Mike Mayock. He said he never thought Ealy would fall, but after watching more tape on him, he sees a guy that is a bit stiff and outside of his game against Texas a and m, his tape is not impressive. He says he has talked to GMs and they feel he looks stiff on tape and in workouts. He said he sees him as a base 43 end and no 34 teams are showing this kid any love.

I think this is the most overrated defensive player I've seen in this draft. I've watched game, after game, after game on him and I just don't see the player everyone is so excited about. All I see is him getting blocked and blocked and blocked...and he's not being doubled either. He does have very good size - and maybe he will develop into something special - but I don't see it right now.

[/QUOTE]

Agree I feel he is vastly over rated also. He has a slow push off the line.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Draft day soon!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He also has him as his #2 DE as of 4/28... behind only Clowney... and ahead of Ford, Crichton and Tuitt.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

There cannot be a scintilla of doubt over a 3/4  DE/OLB's ability to go "in reverse" as Kiper calls it, back-peddling into coverage...if there is he's just not worth the #1 or #2 pick for your organization...there are too many talented guys in this draft class from the middle of round 1 through 4 who have almost the same abilities but within those rounds there are guys with enough standout qualities at needed positions that you need not take extreme chances that could lead to a true bust...to bag a bust in rds. 1 or 2 in this draft would be disastrous...when in doubt, let them slide, let them become some other GM's "opportunity to achieve greatness".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I would be happy with Ealy at 29.  Not thrilled , but pretty happy.  I think his best football is ahead of him.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Round 1. Hageman or Nix or Tuitt

If Bortles or one of the top QBs is still available trade down but NOT FAR. Still want one of the above three.

Round 2. best LB, DL or interior OL (or TE if they like one enough... and hoping we sign Keller as a move TE)

Round 3. best of the above or RB

Round 4. Will Urban be available here? If not maybe move hi up to round 3.

At the 29th pick you can even move back a few spots and still might be able to grab the DL you want in 2nd round, good problem to have.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

For what it is worth, Jason La Confora in a interview stated NE had a private workout with this kid.  More of a Red Zone target- blocker.

Justin Jones, TE, East Carolina
    Jones hasn't played a college football game since 2012 after becoming academically ineligible before last season. From what NFL teams tell me, his coaches at ECU haven't been giving him ringing endorsements, but he has the kind of raw but potentially freakish size and ability that teams cannot overlook.

Having had the opportunity to spend a little time around him, I find Jones very difficult not to like and root for. Jones spent the season working at a Jos. A Bank in the Atlanta area, working out relentlessly, and hoping he might get a workout or two. At 6-foot-8, 275 pounds, and with a 37-inch vertical leap he showed off for scouts at the regional combine in Detroit two weeks ago, plenty of NFL eyes were opened. He only played a few years of college football, yet 12 of his 52 career receptions were touchdowns, he has some unique red-zone possibilities and even as a situational pass catcher, there is talent to be developed.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For what it is worth, Jason La Confora in a interview stated NE had a private workout with this kid.  More of a Red Zone target- blocker.

Justin Jones, TE, East Carolina
    Jones hasn't played a college football game since 2012 after becoming academically ineligible before last season. From what NFL teams tell me, his coaches at ECU haven't been giving him ringing endorsements, but he has the kind of raw but potentially freakish size and ability that teams cannot overlook.

Having had the opportunity to spend a little time around him, I find Jones very difficult not to like and root for. Jones spent the season working at a Jos. A Bank in the Atlanta area, working out relentlessly, and hoping he might get a workout or two. At 6-foot-8, 275 pounds, and with a 37-inch vertical leap he showed off for scouts at the regional combine in Detroit two weeks ago, plenty of NFL eyes were opened. He only played a few years of college football, yet 12 of his 52 career receptions were touchdowns, he has some unique red-zone possibilities and even as a situational pass catcher, there is talent to be developed.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft" rel="nofollow">http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up... wonder if they weren't interested in him as a potential developmental OT down the road as well?

Not sure what to make if it if his former coaches aren't speaking highly of him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He also has him as his #2 DE as of 4/28... behind only Clowney... and ahead of Ford, Crichton and Tuitt.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I saw that...as he was saying how he thought he was dropping, how he was changing his mind on him, the ticker on the bottom of the screen went by showing his rankings. Lol!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I saw that...as he was saying how he thought he was dropping, how he was changing his mind on him, the ticker on the bottom of the screen went by showing his rankings. Lol!

[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, nice.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Stephon Tuitt, everyone talks about his amazing upside and size but why isn't he a hotter name? what's the injury he has?

I, for one, love him and would be thrilled to grab him

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stephon Tuitt, everyone talks about his amazing upside and size but why isn't he a hotter name? what's the injury he has?

I, for one, love him and would be thrilled to grab him

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

It's injury mainly and the question if Tuitt and Nix can be separate players or if one made the other that much better or if they need each other. That upside though is Seymourish. Other than Hageman he might have the highest upside of the DL in the draft. I'd be happy with either Hageman or Tuitt  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Brent urban in the 3rd. I think bb passes on all the dt's like nix, Hageman, tuitt we talk about here often. 

Has anyone here watched any tape of this kid? He has watt size, is physical, uses his hands well and has a nice first step. Personally I think he has great upside and his best football in front of him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think of Ealy as a slightly smaller, slightly quicker (see 3 cone time) version of Chandler Jones. Ealy looks like he can bulk up a little more than Jones.

One of the issues I see with Ealy is that he doesn't seem always go 100%.

Outside of Clowney, I don't see a better 4-3 DE.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brent urban in the 3rd. I think bb passes on all the dt's like nix, Hageman, tuitt we talk about here often. 

Has anyone here watched any tape of this kid? He has watt size, is physical, uses his hands well and has a nice first step. Personally I think he has great upside and his best football in front of him.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'm off and on about Urban kind of like I am about McCuller. The issue I have with him is that he seems too mellow on the field. He isn't really aggressive and I don't know why but on some film I could swear I see him apologizing to the other team like he was Canadian or something. He needs to be much more aggressive and he needs to be more than a 1 dimensional pass rusher. It seems like a straight bull rush is all he does and even then he gets way to tall most of the time and doesn't use his hands well. Not to mention a guy his size he's got some tiny hands.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Idk, I don't watch Urban and think "wow, this kid is really lacking in the effort/aggression department"... I mean, he's not a complete war daddy of a player, but I think he gives a good effort on a snap to snap basis and competes.

I do agree that he lacks much of a pass rush repetoire and does rely solely on the his bull rush. He is however able to disrupt, due to his quickness of the snap and his solid use of arms/length to extend and keep his pads clean. Said length, as it relates to his height can also be a detriment as he needs to play with more consistent leverage, though he does pretty well in that area overall.

I think he'll give a DC/position coach a lot to work with at the next level and think he warrants Day 2 consideration... expect him to be off the board in Rd 3 or 4.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Reports coming out that some teams want Ealy to gain 15lbs and convert to a 43 DT. Interesting, wonder if he can play 2 gap on is he better as an edge rusher

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Idk, I don't watch Urban and think "wow, this kid is really lacking in the effort/aggression department"... I mean, he's not a complete war daddy of a player, but I think he gives a good effort on a snap to snap basis and competes.

I do agree that he lacks much of a pass rush repetoire and does rely solely on the his bull rush. He is however able to disrupt, due to his quickness of the snap and his solid use of arms/length to extend and keep his pads clean. Said length, as it relates to his height can also be a detriment as he needs to play with more consistent leverage, though he does pretty well in that area overall.

I think he'll give a DC/position coach a lot to work with at the next level and think he warrants Day 2 consideration... expect him to be off the board in Rd 3 or 4.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'm not sure, I still don't see the mean streak in him I see in a Clark or Martin. I know both are a good 20lbs lighter but if we are looking for a rush DT to collapse the pocket and you plan to have a big NT 2 gapping next to them (something I think the Pats can pull off) I might want Clark and Martin more in the same range. They also give a bit more flexibility to more outside to spell Nink and Jones.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Oregon WR Josh Huff (5-11 206) is a bit of a poor man's Jarvis Landry... Landry has better hands and is a better overall player, but Huff has more explosive, down field ability.  I really liked his tape:

Positives:

Good deep/play speed.

Good RAC player that can beat you multiple ways... he can make you miss or power through/away from you.

One of, if not the best, most physical WR blockers that I've watched this year.

Definite big play ability.

Good body control.

Very willing over the middle.

Versatile and could even give them some snaps as a 3rd down back out of the backfield.

Solid build, very strong in the lower half.

Special teams potential.

Negatives:

Inconsistent hands... I counted 5-6 clean drops in the 5-6 games I viewed.

Shorter than ideal at 5-11.

Raw and inconsistent as a route runner.

Overall:

Looks like a solid option as versatile kid that can return kicks and some plays down the field... I like him in Rd 3 or 4.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Reports coming out that some teams want Ealy to gain 15lbs and convert to a 43 DT. Interesting, wonder if he can play 2 gap on is he better as an edge rusher

[/QUOTE]

He kicked inside a decent about last year, if I'm not mistaken.

Looks like more of a penatrator than a 2-gapper to me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. Kind of like Martin who played a 1/3rd of snaps at DT. Just wonder if they want to bump him into the 290 range if he'll lose some of his explosiveness that made him effective off the edge and if he'd need to change his style from a single gap perpetrator to a 3 down 2 gapper that can be used as a single gap rusher on blitz lines.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. Kind of like Martin who played a 1/3rd of snaps at DT. Just wonder if they want to bump him into the 290 range if he'll lose some of his explosiveness that made him effective off the edge and if he'd need to change his style from a single gap perpetrator to a 3 down 2 gapper that can be used as a single gap rusher on blitz lines.

[/QUOTE]

I think he'd prob lose some of it relative to playing on the edge, but he'd still be quick and explosive for an interior defender.  It seems the teams that are looking for him to potentially move are more 1 gap/up the field type teams up front.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

When I see a WR, get into his blocking, that a good sign. Tells me 2 things he's a hard worker, and he's team first. Those guys usually have good careers in the NFL.
    This should be watched more closely.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonhoop74. Show jonhoop74's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm off and on about Urban kind of like I am about McCuller. The issue I have with him is that he seems too mellow on the field. He isn't really aggressive and I don't know why but on some film I could swear I see him apologizing to the other team like he was Canadian or something. He needs to be much more aggressive and he needs to be more than a 1 dimensional pass rusher. It seems like a straight bull rush is all he does and even then he gets way to tall most of the time and doesn't use his hands well. Not to mention a guy his size he's got some tiny hands.

[/QUOTE]

"I could swear I see him apologizing to the other team like he was Canadian or something" LOL actually he is from Mississauga, Ontario

Sections
Shortcuts