***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When I see a WR, get into his blocking, that a good sign. Tells me 2 things he's a hard worker, and he's team first. Those guys usually have good careers in the NFL.
    This should be watched more closely.

[/QUOTE]

I agree... one of the more maddening things to me, when watching tape, is a WR half-a$$ing a block... the other thing is missed tackles in space... drives me crazy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Anybody catch the Kiper/McShay Combo Mock on ESPN.com?

They have (8) WR's going in Rd 1:

#2- STL- Watkins

#10- DET- Beckham

#18- NYJ- Cooks

#22- PHI- Matthews

#23- KC- Lee

#26- CLE- Ellington

#27- NO- Latimer

#28- CAR- Adams

Also of interest, they had Anthony Barr lasting to pick #30, with NE taking... yep, you guessed it, Hageman.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

#2- STL- Watkins

#10- DET- Beckham

#18- NYJ- Cooks

#22- PHI- Matthews

#23- KC- Lee

#26- CLE- Ellington

#27- NO- Latimer

#28- CAR- Adams

Also of interest, they had Anthony Barr lasting to pick #30, with NE taking... yep, you guessed it, Hageman.

I saw that too MB, I think there mock is going to be vastly incorrect. But if Bruce Ellington is there I take him in a second..Watch out for Connor Shaw moving up to a third round pick he's getting a lot of good words on him lately.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

#2- STL- Watkins

#10- DET- Beckham

#18- NYJ- Cooks

#22- PHI- Matthews

#23- KC- Lee

#26- CLE- Ellington

#27- NO- Latimer

#28- CAR- Adams

[/QUOTE]

I saw that too MB, I think there mock is going to be vastly incorrect. But if Bruce Ellington is there I take him in a second..Watch out for Connor Shaw moving up to a third round pick he's getting a lot of good words on him lately.

[/QUOTE]

I really like Bruce Ellington, a lot... but in Rd 2, not Rd 1.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

#2- STL- Watkins

#10- DET- Beckham

#18- NYJ- Cooks

#22- PHI- Matthews

#23- KC- Lee

#26- CLE- Ellington

#27- NO- Latimer

#28- CAR- Adams

[/QUOTE]

I also see where the former GM for the Colts ripped both guys for picking Hageman saying he's a gamble and you don't waste a pick on a gamble in the first round...the other GM professional said the same thing...Hageman ='s Huge Gamble...Tuitt was their preferred pick for the Pats

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

#2- STL- Watkins

#10- DET- Beckham

#18- NYJ- Cooks

#22- PHI- Matthews

#23- KC- Lee

#26- CLE- Ellington

#27- NO- Latimer

#28- CAR- Adams

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I watched the So. Car. game vs. LSU game from 2012...Clowney was ragged dolled and Hill for LSU, as well as Landry, looked very good...Shaw was OK, but the thing you notice about him right away is how small he looks on the field...he reminded me of Hoyer because of that...I like Shaw, but not in the third...Barrow had a rough game for LSU...he had a bad habit of over running plays on a consistent basis

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Geez.  There is a ton of talk about NE selecting Easley in the 1st.  Please tell me this is just smoke.  I might literally vomit if we take an injury risk like that with our 1st Rounder in this draft...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

[QUOTE]

#2- STL- Watkins

#10- DET- Beckham

#18- NYJ- Cooks

#22- PHI- Matthews

#23- KC- Lee

#26- CLE- Ellington

#27- NO- Latimer

#28- CAR- Adams

I also see where the former GM for the Colts ripped both guys for picking Hageman saying he's a gamble and you don't waste a pick on a gamble in the first round...the other GM professional said the same thing...Hageman ='s Huge Gamble...Tuitt was their preferred pick for the Pats

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I mean I've watched everyone of Hageman's available game tapes and it's like groundhog day... you always go in hoping this is the game where he completely dominates and plays more consistent, but always leave feeling like you saw the same elite flashes with a bunch of meh in between... wash, rinse, repeat.

If they take him at #29, I completely get it because the size, length and upside are all there and coaches love to mold/develop said talent, but I still prefer Tuitt there if given the choice.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Geez.  There is a ton of talk about NE selecting Easley in the 1st.  Please tell me this is just smoke.  I might literally vomit if we take an injury risk like that with our 1st Rounder in this draft...

[/QUOTE]

I'd be a lot more comfortable in Rd 2... I know you don't want him within the Top 3 rounds, but the kid has obvious Top 15 talent when healthy.

I think the fact that there's a ton of smoke, generally means it's not going to happen, though the one year where I can remember the smoke turning into fire was 2012 with Chandler Jones.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

#2- STL- Watkins

#10- DET- Beckham

#18- NYJ- Cooks

#22- PHI- Matthews

#23- KC- Lee

#26- CLE- Ellington

#27- NO- Latimer

#28- CAR- Adams

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I mean I've watched everyone of Hagemana's available game tapes and it's like groundhog day... you always go in hoping this is the game where he completely dominates and plays more consistent, but always leave feeling like you saw the same elite flashes with a bunch of meh in between... wash, rinse, repeat.

If they take him at #29, I completely get it because the size, length and upside are all there and coaches love to mold/develop said talent, but I still prefer Tuitt there if given the choice.

[/QUOTE]

Well said.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

[QUOTE]

Yeah, I mean I've watched everyone of Hagemana's available game tapes and it's like groundhog day... you always go in hoping this is the game where he completely dominates and plays more consistent, but always leave feeling like you saw the same elite flashes with a bunch of meh in between... wash, rinse, repeat.

[/QUOTE]

I see it the same. Not only that, Hageman's combine #'s were disappointing. He ran over 5second 40. His 3-cone (which we know BB uses) was a terrible 7.8 (compared to about 6.8 for Ealy). I would take Bucannon instead of Hageman.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'd be a lot more comfortable in Rd 2... I know you don't want him within the Top 3 rounds, but the kid has obvious Top 15 talent when healthy.

I think the fact that there's a ton of smoke, generally means it's not going to happen, though the one year where I can remember the smoke turning into fire was 2012 with Chandler Jones.

[/QUOTE]

The rumors I kind of believe are the ones that happen right before the draft (a day or two before). I get the feeling that's when some real stuff somehow gets leaked. I remember when the Jones stuff got leaked...how he was rising up the charts...how the jets were interested in him...how several teams had him rated high. Those are the things I find interesting the most because that's when all the months of mock drafts kind of get blown out of whack a little bit, I could see it happening again with some of these receivers sneaking into the first, some of these tweener defensive ends slipping  out of the first...maybe some defensive tackles too. I'll tell yeah, I'm not real thrilled with a lot of the front seven defensive talent after the obvious guys - at least in terms of first round picks - there's no doubt the receivers are the first round talents. It just becomes the question of...do you grab the defensive guy early (and perhaps reach a little) and then hope the receiver talent gets pushed down a little bit? That can be risky though, a run on receivers could wipe out the talent in 15-20 selections if teams start going crazy. And with some teams needing receivers and the contracts these guys have been getting on the free agent market, it might make sense to grab those receivers when you can.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

What we need this week is Two, 2 Round Mock Draft. One Mock Draft NO Trades, use this as a guideline. sort of really teams might do if no Trades.
    The other 2 Round Mock with Trades, might give us an idea who falls and what teams like the Falcons might want to jump up if they don't  get a guy like Clowney. Or even if they Trade up for him, maybe other teams that might want a QB, or DL.
    Just a thought.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I see it the same. Not only that, Hageman's combine #'s were disappointing. He ran over 5second 40. His 3-cone (which we know BB uses) was a terrible 7.8 (compared to about 6.8 for Ealy). I would take Bucannon instead of Hageman.

[/QUOTE]

To be fair, Hageman has 35-40 pounds on Ealy... a better recent comp might be Muhammad Wilkerson, who had a 7.37 3C at 6-4 315 back in 2011... so it does show some stiffness with Hageman... although he does move well laterally with a 4.50 SS... Wilkerson was 4.59 in that drill... heck Clowney was 4.43... so 4.50 isn't bad.

Bucannon is a kid that could potentially sneak into the back end of Rd 1, yeah... though if I had to guess, I'd say he's picked somewhere in the 40's.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The rumors I kind of believe are the ones that happen right before the draft (a day or two before). I get the feeling that's when some real stuff somehow gets leaked. I remember when the Jones stuff got leaked...how he was rising up the charts...how the jets were interested in him...how several teams had him rated high. Those are the things I find interesting the most because that's when all the months of mock drafts kind of get blown out of whack a little bit, I could see it happening again with some of these receivers sneaking into the first, some of these tweener defensive ends slipping  out of the first...maybe some defensive tackles too. I'll tell yeah, I'm not real thrilled with a lot of the front seven defensive talent after the obvious guys - at least in terms of first round picks - there's no doubt the receivers are the first round talents. It just becomes the question of...do you grab the defensive guy early (and perhaps reach a little) and then hope the receiver talent gets pushed down a little bit? That can be risky though, a run on receivers could wipe out the talent in 15-20 selections if teams start going crazy. And with some teams needing receivers and the contracts these guys have been getting on the free agent market, it might make sense to grab those receivers when you can.

[/QUOTE]

I'd agree... I don't think BB leaks all false info, if you want to keep them guessing, you have to release both or people will just ignore anything that's leaked.

And I do agree, the proximity of the Chandler/NE link was quite close to the draft... within a week or so of draft day if I remember correctly?

Outside of a Brandin Cooks being available at 29 or BB making a play for a Benjamin (I know you're not overly high on him) I think you do grab the D player early, then target the WR... the WR talent is just so whacky deep in this class.  If you can score a Landry in Rd 3 (due to his lack of elite speed), I think it's a homerun.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What we need this week is Two, 2 Round Mock Draft. One Mock Draft NO Trades, use this as a guideline. sort of really teams might do if no Trades.
    The other 2 Round Mock with Trades, might give us an idea who falls and what teams like the Falcons might want to jump up if they don't  get a guy like Clowney. Or even if they Trade up for him, maybe other teams that might want a QB, or DL.
    Just a thought.

[/QUOTE]

I'd be down for a 2 round mock, though if trades are included, they'd need to be fair and in-line with the trade value chart.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'd agree... I don't think BB leaks all false info, if you want to keep them guessing, you have to release both or people will just ignore anything that's leaked.

And I do agree, the proximity of the Chandler/NE link was quite close to the draft... within a week or so of draft day if I remember correctly?

Outside of a Brandin Cooks being available at 29 or BB making a play for a Benjamin (I know you're not overly high on him) I think you do grab the D player early, then target the WR... the WR talent is just so whacky deep in this class.  If you can score a Landry in Rd 3 (due to his lack of elite speed), I think it's a homerun.

[/QUOTE]

Makes sense...I agree. I can't see Belichick going receiver in the first unless a guy like Cooks or maybe Lee is sitting there...so defense it is and I'm fine with that. Bill drafted Collins in the second last year, so I'm sure there is someone there he would make the most out of in the first or with a trade back. 

You're right, I'm not a big Benjamin fan, but he is like so many of those players that I'd have to project going forward - and I'm not very good at that - I have a hard time saying...this guy has this, this guy has that...in a few years he's going to be this. Especially when I see the kid getting handled by smaller corners and dropping balls in Florida warmth. And with Benjamin he doesn't have that speed...so what is he? Is he going to be a tight end? Because he'll really need to get bigger and stronger to do that, and his speed will be even less then. Lord knows I've been wrong before - the kid the Chargers drafted at receiver last year was pretty good...I thought he was going to be a bust. I thought he looked too slow and wasn't going to get open in the NFL...he was the most productive rookie receiver in the NFL last year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Makes sense...I agree. I can't see Belichick going receiver in the first unless a guy like Cooks or maybe Lee is sitting there...so defense it is and I'm fine with that. Bill drafted Collins in the second last year, so I'm sure there is someone there he would make the most out of in the first or with a trade back. 

You're right, I'm not a big Benjamin fan, but he is like so many of those players that I'd have to project going forward - and I'm not very good at that - I have a hard time saying...this guy has this, this guy has that...in a few years he's going to be this. Especially when I see the kid getting handled by smaller corners and dropping balls in Florida warmth. And with Benjamin he doesn't have that speed...so what is he? Is he going to be a tight end? Because he'll really need to get bigger and stronger to do that, and his speed will be even less then. Lord knows I've been wrong before - the kid the Chargers drafted at receiver last year was pretty good...I thought he was going to be a bust. I thought he looked too slow and wasn't going to get open in the NFL...he was the most productive rookie receiver in the NFL last year.

[/QUOTE] I think MB had us looking at Keenan Allen all along, but he wasn't there when BB projected him to be there. I like Benjamin, but WR isn't a pressing need, and this roster is just about set in stone as far as starters are concerned. If Shazier is still on the board at 29 he's a no brainer. Of course there will be the group of DT's available at 29, but do any of them really look like they will be starters from day 1? Botonio the Guard from Nevada might be the safest pick at 29. Then there is the enigma Teddy Bridgewater what do you do if he's still sitting on the board at 29? Here's the dilemma the Patriots are a very good team before they even consider drafting anyone, and there are only a few areas of weakness: Interior Offensive line, Interior Defensive line, Linebacker ILB and OLB, TE, and SS. So while everyone else in the league knows  what the Patriots need they don't know what their priority need is, hence the belief that the Patriots are blowing smoke signals on certain players. They just don't know which players are the smoke signal players and which ones are the hard targets.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah you're probably right.  It's all probably just a big smokescreen.  I really do love this guys talent,  I just hate his injury history.  At this point I would be okay with him taking him in the late second round, but it's looking more and more like he isn't going to be on the board at that point.  I just really hate to see Belichick reach for him at number 29.  He is done a good job the last couple years of avoiding first round busts, but Easley would be a huge risk of being just that if they spend a 1st on him.  Taking healthy, safe players in the first round would be my rule number one if I were running the draft.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

The NFL First-Pick game is a little outdated w/ the rankings, but imagine this for a draft

Round 2 Pick 17 (NYJ): Dominique Easley, DT, Florida (A)
    Round 2 Pick 23 (CINN): Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame (A)
    Round 3 Pick 4 (ATL): Marcus Martin, C, Southern California (A)
    Round 4 Pick 4 (NYJ): C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa (A)
    Round 4 Pick 16 (MIA): Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina (A)
    Round 4 Pick 30: Craig Loston, SS, LSU (A)
    Round 4 Pick 40 (COMP): Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech (A)
    Round 6 Pick 22: Storm Johnson, RB, UCF (A)
    Round 6 Pick 30: Dri Archer, WR, Kent State (A)
    Round 7 Pick 29: Kasim Edebali, OLB, Boston College (A)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to titletownfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The NFL First-Pick game is a little outdated w/ the rankings, but imagine this for a draft

Round 2 Pick 17 (NYJ): Dominique Easley, DT, Florida (A)
    Round 2 Pick 23 (CINN): Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame (A)
    Round 3 Pick 4 (ATL): Marcus Martin, C, Southern California (A)
    Round 4 Pick 4 (NYJ): C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa (A)
    Round 4 Pick 16 (MIA): Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina (A)
    Round 4 Pick 30: Craig Loston, SS, LSU (A)
    Round 4 Pick 40 (COMP): Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech (A)
    Round 6 Pick 22: Storm Johnson, RB, UCF (A)
    Round 6 Pick 30: Dri Archer, WR, Kent State (A)
    Round 7 Pick 29: Kasim Edebali, OLB, Boston College (A)

[/QUOTE]

Take that in a NY Heartbeat!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tg19pats. Show tg19pats's posts

Some good names on that draft, it would seem to cover all of our needs, love Ellington in that spot.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

This thread is pretty dead.  These extra two weeks we have to wait are a real bummer.  Seems like everyone is tired of discussing the draft and just wants to see it unfold.  That's how I feel anyway.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] I think MB had us looking at Keenan Allen all along, but he wasn't there when BB projected him to be there. I like Benjamin, but WR isn't a pressing need, and this roster is just about set in stone as far as starters are concerned. If Shazier is still on the board at 29 he's a no brainer. Of course there will be the group of DT's available at 29, but do any of them really look like they will be starters from day 1? Botonio the Guard from Nevada might be the safest pick at 29. Then there is the enigma Teddy Bridgewater what do you do if he's still sitting on the board at 29? Here's the dilemma the Patriots are a very good team before they even consider drafting anyone, and there are only a few areas of weakness: Interior Offensive line, Interior Defensive line, Linebacker ILB and OLB, TE, and SS. So while everyone else in the league knows  what the Patriots need they don't know what their priority need is, hence the belief that the Patriots are blowing smoke signals on certain players. They just don't know which players are the smoke signal players and which ones are the hard targets.

[/QUOTE]

I did have Allen as the #2 WR on my board last year, behind Hopkins... I wasn't a big Dobson guy.

I had started a thread about Shazier as well... I just think he has too much speed, athleticism and versatility for BB to pass on at #29, if he's there... he's also a really instinctive kid.

Agree that Bitonio could be a safe, yet boring pick... kid can play.

Outside of OL, I don't see them being able to pull a full-time starter out of Rd 1... some may argue TE, but I don't think any TE not named Ebron should be taken in Rd 1 and I'd have a hard time with him passing on Shazier or one of the DL to take one there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

This thread is pretty dead.  These extra two weeks we have to wait are a real bummer.  Seems like everyone is tired of discussing the draft and just wants to see it unfold.  That's how I feel anyway.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just not that many topics to discuss at this point... I've used the extra two weeks to catch up on or rewatch tape of a few players, but the board is pretty set at this point.

Sections
Shortcuts