***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

Question for the group- when have the Pats ever drafted a guy that noticeably took plays off or disappeared for portions of games?

i can't remember them doing it and certainly not in the first round. All the mocks that have us taking Hageman are hilarious to me- I can't imagine unless he is available in the 2nd we would ever take that risk.

The only risks I see BB take are for value- Hernandez in 4th- great value until his true colors were shown.

BB wants sure things in the first and if not available- lessen the risk and the cash by moving back.

Agree or disagree?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to titletownfan's comment:

The NFL First-Pick game is a little outdated w/ the rankings, but imagine this for a draft

Round 2 Pick 17 (NYJ): Dominique Easley, DT, Florida (A)
    Round 2 Pick 23 (CINN): Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame (A)
    Round 3 Pick 4 (ATL): Marcus Martin, C, Southern California (A)
    Round 4 Pick 4 (NYJ): C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa (A)
    Round 4 Pick 16 (MIA): Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina (A)
    Round 4 Pick 30: Craig Loston, SS, LSU (A)
    Round 4 Pick 40 (COMP): Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech (A)
    Round 6 Pick 22: Storm Johnson, RB, UCF (A)
    Round 6 Pick 30: Dri Archer, WR, Kent State (A)
    Round 7 Pick 29: Kasim Edebali, OLB, Boston College (A)

That's quite the optimistic projection, though a complete grand slam of a haul at that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mcboyd22's comment:

Question for the group- when have the Pats ever drafted a guy that noticeably took plays off or disappeared for portions of games?

i can't remember them doing it and certainly not in the first round. All the mocks that have us taking Hageman are hilarious to me- I can't imagine unless he is available in the 2nd we would ever take that risk.

The only risks I see BB take are for value- Hernandez in 4th- great value until his true colors were shown.

BB wants sure things in the first and if not available- lessen the risk and the cash by moving back.

Agree or disagree?

To be honest, I thought Jamie Collins took plays off in the film that I reviewed before last years draft... though that could've been a product of the 0-12 team that he was playing on... and we didn't see him taking plays off last season.

I do agree with your point though... you don't want an effort question mark in Rd 1 or even early, so BB and staff were clearly comfortable with his motor.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Full 3 Round Mock:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/2014/05/final-mock-draft-3-rounds.html" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/2014/05/final-mock-draft-3-rounds.html

Rd: Stephon Tuitt

Rd2: Dominque Easley

Rd3: Telvin Smith

Rd4: Kevin Norwood

Rd4: David Yankey

Rd6: Aaron Lynch

Rd6: Tajh Boyd

Rd7: Marion Grice

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

Full 3 Round Mock:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/2014/05/final-mock-draft-3-rounds.html" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/2014/05/final-mock-draft-3-rounds.html" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/2014/05/final-mock-draft-3-rounds.html

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

I don't know where Yankey will fall, but that'd be a very, very good haul.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Yeah, I highly doubt Yankey falls into the 4th, but never know.  Would be an unbelievable draft.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The more I watch Stephon Tuitt, the more I like him...he's a tough guy to handle for an offensive lineman...just big, with a nice blend of power mixed in with decent quickness for a guy his size. I don't like the comparisons to Seymour though - Seymour was a different type when he came out - I remember him lining up next to Marcus Stroud and Seymour was the guy who could change direction and was more explosive of the two (although I really liked Stroud too). I don't really see the change of direction/explosiveness in Tuitt's game, but I do see the strength. Honestly he kind of reminds me more of Stroud. Tuitt has these long arms that I've seen him just knock people over with, he does a very good job slapping the offensive lineman's hands away and can peel off a block and drag down a runner with one arm...pretty impressive show of strength. And for a guy his size I've seen him spin off a tackle and surge to the quarterback...again impressive stuff, but I just don't see the Seymour comparison, at least when Seymour was coming out...maybe the Seymour as he aged, but not the kid coming out of Georgia.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

If Yankey is there @62, he'd be tough to pass up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mcboyd22's comment:

Agree or disagree?

I agree, they do like to pick players that seem like football is important to them, but I can think of a few...Ron Brace, Jermaine Cunningham...I thought those guys took plays off. I'll tell you what...for all the love Brandon Spikes got around here, he was an absolute turd the few times I saw him in training camp - now to his credit he played hard in games - but he must of been a handful for those coaches. I once so him walk through running drills whenever the coaches turned their backs...not one single guy out of the 80 that were on the field that day did that, but he did. And I know we didn't draft Randy Moss, but we traded for him (then paid him) and he took plays off. 

You are right though, players here play hard, I think the coaching staff has a lot to do with that...picking guys who love football helps too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to mellymel3's comment:

I also see where the former GM for the Colts ripped both guys for picking Hageman saying he's a gamble and you don't waste a pick on a gamble in the first round...the other GM professional said the same thing...Hageman ='s Huge Gamble...Tuitt was their preferred pick for the Pats

Yeah, I mean I've watched everyone of Hagemana's available game tapes and it's like groundhog day... you always go in hoping this is the game where he completely dominates and plays more consistent, but always leave feeling like you saw the same elite flashes with a bunch of meh in between... wash, rinse, repeat.

If they take him at #29, I completely get it because the size, length and upside are all there and coaches love to mold/develop said talent, but I still prefer Tuitt there if given the choice.

Well said.

Well, here is the list of DLs that had contacts with the Pats...

Defensive Line
    Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State (PW)
    Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh (CI)
    Ego Ferguson, DT, LSU (CI)
    Dee Ford, DE, Auburn (PW)
    James Gayle, DE, Virginia Tech (U)
    Ra’Shede Hageman, DE/DT, Minnesota (CI)
    Demarcus Lawrence, DE, Boise State (OV)
    Cassius Marsh, DE, UCLA (OV)
    Zach Moore, DE, Concordia (PW)
    Kelcy Quarles, DT, South Carolina (PW)
    Kaleb Ramsey, DT, Boston College (PW)
    Jimmy Staten, DT, Middle Tennessee St (OV)
    Will Sutton, DT, Arizona State (PW)
    Stephon Tuitt, DL, Notre Dame (OV)
    Colton Underwood, DE, Illinois State (PW)

Not many DTs with PWs. Of the DTs who did PWs, only Quarles is highly mentioned in the draft sites.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

Full 3 Round Mock:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/2014/05/final-mock-draft-3-rounds.html" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/2014/05/final-mock-draft-3-rounds.html" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/2014/05/final-mock-draft-3-rounds.html

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

Glad to see Grice mentioned. He's very underrated. I understand concerns over his workout times. However, he may have not been able to fully recover yet. I think he is faster than what is being measured now. Else, he would not have been returning KOs for ASU. He's an able blocker. Runs a little tall, but runs tough. If you watch his highlights, look at what he does after first contact. Lastly, he caught 50 passes.

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to mellymel3's comment:

Anybody catch the Kiper/McShay Combo Mock on ESPN.com?

They have (8) WR's going in Rd 1:

#2- STL- Watkins

#10- DET- Beckham

#18- NYJ- Cooks

#22- PHI- Matthews

#23- KC- Lee

#26- CLE- Ellington

#27- NO- Latimer

#28- CAR- Adams

Also of interest, they had Anthony Barr lasting to pick #30, with NE taking... yep, you guessed it, Hageman.

I also see where the former GM for the Colts ripped both guys for picking Hageman saying he's a gamble and you don't waste a pick on a gamble in the first round...the other GM professional said the same thing...Hageman ='s Huge Gamble...Tuitt was their preferred pick for the Pats

Yeah, I mean I've watched everyone of Hagemana's available game tapes and it's like groundhog day... you always go in hoping this is the game where he completely dominates and plays more consistent, but always leave feeling like you saw the same elite flashes with a bunch of meh in between... wash, rinse, repeat.

If they take him at #29, I completely get it because the size, length and upside are all there and coaches love to mold/develop said talent, but I still prefer Tuitt there if given the choice.

Well said.

People following the thread since day 1 know that I have been critical of Hageman. The one thing that drives me nuts is that he is off the field so much. And it has nothing to do with downs. For some reason, he would be out for 3-6 straight defensive snaps. Of the games I saw, he was out for about half the defensive snaps.

That said, he still finished with 13 tackles for loss. His 2 sacks was a little disappointing. But 13 TFLs is high. Hard to argue with that.

One thing I want to point out... on the games I saw, he played much better as 3-4 DE than he did playing inside on 4-3.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

My final mock draft:

1st - traded along with a 6th for 2nd, 3rd and 5th.  I think there will be teams wanting to trade up for a late 1st QB such as Carr

2nd (trade) Tuitt, DT, Notre Dame - will fall due to injury

2nd - Carlos Hyde, RB, OSU- value will fall due to RB by committe approach the league has taken

3rd (trade) - deone Bucannon, SS, Washington State

3rd - Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame or CJ Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa

4th -David Yankey, OG stanford or Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas

4th (comp) - Daniel McCullers, DT, Tenn.

5th (trade) - Max Bullough, ILB, Michigan State

6th (from Philly) - Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech

6th (ours) traded----------

7th - Colt Lyera, TE, Oregon - to say he has issues would be an understatement but with a TE already selected earlier I would be wiling to take a risk on him especially if we signed dustin Keller

UDFA priority -
    Kenny Guiton, QB, OSU

with enough thrust, pigs fly just fine!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Sup Guys,

Man I have a lot of catching up to do, been going to interviews doing the job search thing.   Been looking at a lot of mocks yesterday and this morning and I still dont get some of the picks of QBs with huge ???s picked in top 10 when there are such talent like Matthews Watkins ect.  Just don't see it.  

There are something like 18 QBs in this year's draft with a drafteble grade doesn't mean they are all 1st rounds just means they have the tools to get drafted somewhere in the draft.

If I were a GM would I pass up a chance to take a safer bet on a LT or WR who are viewed across the board and an All Pro or QB who is not a Luck type player.  So where am I going with this, I think the QB run begins in mid 20s maybe 1 possibly 2 get taken in top 10 but to me that will be too many.  Bortles is the only one I would say he's worth that risk.  

So with a potential QB frenzy 25 to 40 how many times can the pats trade back a bit and still get their guys?  

I still believe the DT pick based on where I think the Pats will make their first selection is DeQuan Jones and I still believe Norwood would come in and sit Thompkins and give Dobson a run for his money as a #1 target outside. :)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

My final mock draft:

1st - traded along with a 6th for 2nd, 3rd and 5th.  I think there will be teams wanting to trade up for a late 1st QB such as Carr

2nd - Carlos Hyde, RB, OSU- value will fall due to RB by committe approach the league has taken

7th - Colt Lyera, TE, Oregon - to say he has issues would be an understatement but with a TE already selected earlier I would be wiling to take a risk on him especially if we signed dustin Keller

UDFA priority -
    Kenny Guiton, QB, OSU

[object HTMLDivElement]

Except for Lyera I would gladly take that. But, because of Lyera you'll have to scrap the entire draft and start over

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

My final mock draft:

UDFA priority -
    Kenny Guiton, QB, OSU

I think the Rd 3/4 picks are a little optimistic, and I want nothing to do with Lyerla, value or not, but if things fall this way, I think fans will/should be very excited.

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Kenny Guiton, QB, OSU

[object HTMLDivElement]

Except for Lyera I would gladly take that. But, because of Lyera you'll have to scrap the entire draft and start over

Haha

[object HTMLDivElement]

In response to Pats7393's comment:

Sup Guys,

Man I have a lot of catching up to do, been going to interviews doing the job search thing.   Been looking at a lot of mocks yesterday and this morning and I still dont get some of the picks of QBs with huge ???s picked in top 10 when there are such talent like Matthews Watkins ect.  Just don't see it.  

There are something like 18 QBs in this year's draft with a drafteble grade doesn't mean they are all 1st rounds just means they have the tools to get drafted somewhere in the draft.

If I were a GM would I pass up a chance to take a safer bet on a LT or WR who are viewed across the board and an All Pro or QB who is not a Luck type player.  So where am I going with this, I think the QB run begins in mid 20s maybe 1 possibly 2 get taken in top 10 but to me that will be too many.  Bortles is the only one I would say he's worth that risk.  

So with a potential QB frenzy 25 to 40 how many times can the pats trade back a bit and still get their guys?  

I still believe the DT pick based on where I think the Pats will make their first selection is DeQuan Jones and I still believe Norwood would come in and sit Thompkins and give Dobson a run for his money as a #1 target outside. :)

I hear ya, just a matter of how highly the personnel folks for the teams without legit #1 QB's feel about these prospects... but you could be right on when the run starts.

Your boy Norwood would be a nice addition in the middle rounds.

In response to Pats7393's comment:

Sup Guys,

I would love a haul that includes D Jones and Norwood. The thing is Jones did not have a visit with the Pats. IDK about Norwood. Does the Pats take people they did not have contact with?

On QBs... I have heard that comment several times (that there is no legit round 1 or top 10 QB in the draft). I am really curious why people say that. I guess I wonder what people have in mind for a top 10 pick QB. An Andrew Luck? That QB comes out once every 10-13 years.

People say Manziel is not a round 1 QB. I ask... Despite a 2 inch height difference, did RGIII really do that much more than Manziel that RGIII deserved to be graded a full round higher? I think Manziel proved he can pass the ball. I would argue that, despite the running he does, Manziel actually shows better judgment when it comes to protecting himself from getting hurt. It's not guarantee that he will not get hurt, but he seems more aware of the risk when he runs. He dives earlier.

I understand if he's not your type of QB. He's not mine.

Expanding more

Bortles... was Tannehill's performance in college much better than Bortles'? Bortles can run a really good drive with less than 2 mins to go and his team behind needing a TD. He did that against Bridgewater's D.

Was Weeden, Ponder or Locker much better in college than Bridgewater or Carr? And I do think Carr and Bridgewater are better than Dalton.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Hey guys!  This isn't my final mock, but rather a simulation of what I think BB is actually going to do this weekend.  Many of you won't be totally thrilled with this draft, but are we ever totally thrilled with any draft?

29)  Dominigue Easley   DT    Florida   Yeah, there is a lot of talk about this pick, and that usually means it won't happen.  I hope it doesn't.  I hate his knee injuries and think he is way too big of a health risk.  His stock is definitely rising, though, and IF he is medically cleared he might very well be the best DT in this draft.  This is a huge gamble, I wouldn't do it, but I'm thinking that BB probably will.

*** #62 traded to STL for #75 & #110 ***

75) (from STL)  Trent Murphy  DE/OLB  Stanford  Who likes falling players better than BB?  I think Murphy is going to slide a little, but this is terrific value.  He would fit right in and provide Nink and/or/Chandler some much needed relief.

93)  Aaron Lynch  OLB  USF   Wow.  Too early, I know.  But this kid has the talent to warrant this pick if BB is comfortable with his character.  Belichick worked out the USF kids personally, and he has a history of selecting Florida kids.  Maybe a reach, but it is Belichick we are talking about here.

110)  (from STL)  Jeremy Hill  RB  LSU  We need a RB.  That is clear.  I think one of the top guys will fall due to the de-valuing of the RB position.  Again, who loves falling players more than BB?  Hill has a lot of potential to be a very good runner in the NFL.

130)  Jon Halapio  OG  Florida    NE is almost certain to find interior OL help at some point in this draft.  Halapio is not a name we have talked much about, but he is a bit of an under-the-radar prospect with great size and plenty of upside. 

140)  (Comp)  Craig Loston  LSU  SS    Another value pick.  Loston could come off the board much earlier, but many experts think this is his range.  He is as physical player with some coverage limitations, but I think he is the type of player our defense needs.

198)  Tajh Boyd  QB  Clemson   I really believe BB takes a QB at some point.  Boyd has a slew of issues that will cause him to fall, namely his height, but there is something about him that makes me think he could be worth a look.  The guy certainly had some nice moments at Clemson.

206)  AC Leonard  TE  Tennessee St.  A "Move TE" from a small school.  Leonard has plenty of athleticism, but his dedication is a question mark.  If NE can focus him and get the most out of him, he could make the 53 Man Roster and be a surprise contributer.

244)  Jeremy Gallon  WR  Michigan   There is too much WR talent in this draft not to take one.  We all want the big, 6'3" outside WR, but I think BB has faith in Dobson/LaFell.  He loves drafting these small, quick guys, and frankly we could use a good, developmental slot WR to back Edelman up.  BB loves Michigan kids, too.  Gallon could be on his radar.

What do you think?   Not the flashiest draft, and it would leave me feeling a little bit discouraged, but the picks here do make a lot of sense.  Some falling prospects, a couple of character questions, an injury gamble, value picks, and at LEAST one trade (likely will be more).  This is as close as I can get to guessing what BB will actually do in this class, and I'm probably not even close!  :)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Outkast1978. Show Outkast1978's posts

I would really like to see the pats get "Dee Ford" in the First Round and also Charles Sims in the 2nd or 3rd... I think Dee Ford is going to be a Play Maker in the NFL. Love his Attitude. 

In response to Outkast1978's comment:

I would really like to see the pats get "Dee Ford" in the First Round and also Charles Sims in the 2nd or 3rd... I think Dee Ford is going to be a Play Maker in the NFL. Love his Attitude. 

Kid is def explosive off the edge and can rush the passer.

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Hey guys!  This isn't my final mock, but rather a simulation of what I think BB is actually going to do this weekend.  Many of you won't be totally thrilled with this draft, but are we ever totally thrilled with any draft?

29)  Dominigue Easley   DT    Florida   Yeah, there is a lot of talk about this pick, and that usually means it won't happen.  I hope it doesn't.  I hate his knee injuries and think he is way too big of a health risk.  His stock is definitely rising, though, and IF he is medically cleared he might very well be the best DT in this draft.  This is a huge gamble, I wouldn't do it, but I'm thinking that BB probably will.

75) (from STL)  Trent Murphy  DE/OLB  Stanford  Who likes falling players better than BB?  I think Murphy is going to slide a little, but this is terrific value.  He would fit right in and provide Nink and/or/Chandler some much needed relief.

93)  Aaron Lynch  OLB  USF   Wow.  Too early, I know.  But this kid has the talent to warrant this pick if BB is comfortable with his character.  Belichick worked out the USF kids personally, and he has a history of selecting Florida kids.  Maybe a reach, but it is Belichick we are talking about here.

110)  (from STL)  Jeremy Hill  RB  LSU  We need a RB.  That is clear.  I think one of the top guys will fall due to the de-valuing of the RB position.  Again, who loves falling players more than BB?  Hill has a lot of potential to be a very good runner in the NFL.

130)  Jon Halapio  OG  Florida    NE is almost certain to find interior OL help at some point in this draft.  Halapio is not a name we have talked much about, but he is a bit of an under-the-radar prospect with great size and plenty of upside. 

140)  (Comp)  Craig Loston  LSU  SS    Another value pick.  Loston could come off the board much earlier, but many experts think this is his range.  He is as physical player with some coverage limitations, but I think he is the type of player our defense needs.

198)  Tajh Boyd  QB  Clemson   I really believe BB takes a QB at some point.  Boyd has a slew of issues that will cause him to fall, namely his height, but there is something about him that makes me think he could be worth a look.  The guy certainly had some nice moments at Clemson.

206)  AC Leonard  TE  Tennessee St.  A "Move TE" from a small school.  Leonard has plenty of athleticism, but his dedication is a question mark.  If NE can focus him and get the most out of him, he could make the 53 Man Roster and be a surprise contributer.

244)  Jeremy Gallon  WR  Michigan   There is too much WR talent in this draft not to take one.  We all want the big, 6'3" outside WR, but I think BB has faith in Dobson/LaFell.  He loves drafting these small, quick guys, and frankly we could use a good, developmental slot WR to back Edelman up.  BB loves Michigan kids, too.  Gallon could be on his radar.

What do you think?   Not the flashiest draft, and it would leave me feeling a little bit discouraged, but the picks here do make a lot of sense.  Some falling prospects, a couple of character questions, an injury gamble, value picks, and at LEAST one trade (likely will be more).  This is as close as I can get to guessing what BB will actually do in this class, and I'm probably not even close!  :)

I hate the Aaron Lynch pick (would rather see Hill there or even a WR) and don't see them going back to back edge players on Day 2, but the rest of the class would be very good.

I just give you credit for mocking the one guy you don't want to NE, haha.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Outkast1978. Show Outkast1978's posts

In response to Outkast1978's comment:

Kid is def explosive off the edge and can rush the passer.

He definitely is.. if you was BB Would you take him with the 29 pick?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

While I love Easley and think he's worth a #1 for us, his knees mean he will be available min rd.2, maybe even rd. 3. I've never seen a guy with that combination of strength, natural, playing strength, and quickness in pads ever. He's a beast if he stays healthy.

Picks I like - Murphy, Hill, Halapio

Picks I question - Boyd (We usually go "formula"  with QB's: height and scheme, pocket passer)

Leonard (I think we need a blocking TE who has the ability to catch a few...Leonard is more of                              a "move" TE with questionable motivation)

Gallon (Yes, I think we take a WR but not a slot guy because we have Boyce as a backup)

• Sections
    Shortcuts