Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***
posted at 5/5/2014 11:41 AM EDT
Hey guys! This isn't my final mock, but rather a simulation of what I think BB is actually going to do this weekend. Many of you won't be totally thrilled with this draft, but are we ever totally thrilled with any draft?
29) Dominigue Easley DT Florida Yeah, there is a lot of talk about this pick, and that usually means it won't happen. I hope it doesn't. I hate his knee injuries and think he is way too big of a health risk. His stock is definitely rising, though, and IF he is medically cleared he might very well be the best DT in this draft. This is a huge gamble, I wouldn't do it, but I'm thinking that BB probably will.
*** #62 traded to STL for #75 & #110 ***
75) (from STL) Trent Murphy DE/OLB Stanford Who likes falling players better than BB? I think Murphy is going to slide a little, but this is terrific value. He would fit right in and provide Nink and/or/Chandler some much needed relief.
93) Aaron Lynch OLB USF Wow. Too early, I know. But this kid has the talent to warrant this pick if BB is comfortable with his character. Belichick worked out the USF kids personally, and he has a history of selecting Florida kids. Maybe a reach, but it is Belichick we are talking about here.
110) (from STL) Jeremy Hill RB LSU We need a RB. That is clear. I think one of the top guys will fall due to the de-valuing of the RB position. Again, who loves falling players more than BB? Hill has a lot of potential to be a very good runner in the NFL.
130) Jon Halapio OG Florida NE is almost certain to find interior OL help at some point in this draft. Halapio is not a name we have talked much about, but he is a bit of an under-the-radar prospect with great size and plenty of upside.
140) (Comp) Craig Loston LSU SS Another value pick. Loston could come off the board much earlier, but many experts think this is his range. He is as physical player with some coverage limitations, but I think he is the type of player our defense needs.
198) Tajh Boyd QB Clemson I really believe BB takes a QB at some point. Boyd has a slew of issues that will cause him to fall, namely his height, but there is something about him that makes me think he could be worth a look. The guy certainly had some nice moments at Clemson.
206) AC Leonard TE Tennessee St. A "Move TE" from a small school. Leonard has plenty of athleticism, but his dedication is a question mark. If NE can focus him and get the most out of him, he could make the 53 Man Roster and be a surprise contributer.
244) Jeremy Gallon WR Michigan There is too much WR talent in this draft not to take one. We all want the big, 6'3" outside WR, but I think BB has faith in Dobson/LaFell. He loves drafting these small, quick guys, and frankly we could use a good, developmental slot WR to back Edelman up. BB loves Michigan kids, too. Gallon could be on his radar.
What do you think? Not the flashiest draft, and it would leave me feeling a little bit discouraged, but the picks here do make a lot of sense. Some falling prospects, a couple of character questions, an injury gamble, value picks, and at LEAST one trade (likely will be more). This is as close as I can get to guessing what BB will actually do in this class, and I'm probably not even close! :)