***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

This is going to be one of those drafts that if we win the SB no one will care, if we lose and players we passed on could have made a difference people will kill, and in 3-4 years it feels like one that maybe 3-4 players will be left on the team but the will contribute something and some will praise them for finding people while others will see everything they passed on and say what could have been. But I think most will agree no one feels great about this one. I have a feeling most feel meh about it. Not bad but not good either, just guys that add depth anda gamble on a guy to stay healthy. Really that's what this draft will boil down to Easley and Garop. If Garop becomes Rodgers it willbe praised and if Easley becomes Ralphe even better but if Easley becomes Emtman and Garop never sees the field BB will be killed for this one.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to kirby1fl's comment:

couldn't they use Nink at LB if needed it seems like a lot of DL now on the roster?

[object HTMLDivElement]

Could they sure, but do they wan too. Lets face it those backups haven't shown anything special and really almost everyone outside of the starters are question marks how they would do long term. I mean Jones and Vellano were so great BB traded for Soap and signed Siliga on his 4th team in 3 years? Nink to OLB would be a last ditch move really.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kirby1fl. Show kirby1fl's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

couldn't they use Nink at LB if needed it seems like a lot of DL now on the roster?

[object HTMLDivElement]

Could they sure, but do they wan too. Lets face it those backups haven't shown anything special and really almost everyone outside of the starters are question marks how they would do long term. I mean Jones and Vellano were so great BB traded for Soap and signed Siliga on his 4th team in 3 years? Nink to OLB would be a last ditch move really.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric1. Show KyleCleric1's posts

Nink is so good at the DE position that it'd be disappointing to move him off the position. Right now, LB depth still needed, but you can get good ones late in a draft and there are still decent backups available in FA.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kirby1fl. Show kirby1fl's posts

I guess that is what I meant in regards to saying they only have 3 LB , I agree they don't want to but if there was an injury could do it and Maybe Smith, Easley or Armstead on the edge. I still think they will draft or bring in a couple of LBs to camp.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric1. Show KyleCleric1's posts

After Cannon, we only had undrafted depth. Really like the Fleming pickup. Always nice to get a smart player who was projected to go earlier than when you take him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric1. Show KyleCleric1's posts

I guess that is what I meant in regards to saying they only have 3 LB , I agree they don't want to but if there was an injury could do it and Maybe Smith, Easley or Armstead on the edge. I still think they will draft or bring in a couple of LBs to camp.

For sure. Just hoping they find different solutions than moving Nink to LB. Could also see some 3 safety formations as well. I've always felt that Chung played his best in the box.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

For what it's worth:

Rich Hill @PP_Rich_Hill
    Follow
    Looks like Atlanta offered 68 and 147 for New England's 62. Which is a fair trade. Patriots opted to take Garoppolo.
    2:02 AM - 10 May 2014

http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/5/10/5702598/patriots-mulled-trade-with-atlanta-before-picking-jimmy-garoppolo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to zbellino's comment:

Patriots only use three linebackers. 

How many do they really need? Until Mayo's injury, they had a logjam last season. 

Per taking a tackle: there is no reason to think he will be a tackle more than a guard. OL drafts outside in. Low ranked tackles can double as "deal" guards all the time. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

enough to back up the 3 they use to spell them. Looking at the LB's there is a major major drop off between those 3 and the next ones down (who were used basically only as STers). The lose of Fletcher was a big one. Last year Fletcher, Spikes, Mayo, Hightower, Collins took over 95% of snaps at LB and you just lost 2, you need a solid #4 or you run the risk of having no one if someone gets injured or as with DE last year wearing down your starters to the point they can't do their jobs in the playoffs

If all you need is a backup, grab one on the FA wire. 

A mid round LBer is not going to help you out in all likelihood. Let's be real about draft and the possibility of a player contributing. 

Just grab some UDFAs, grab a vet off the wire. Done. 

I'm pretty happy with Collins, Mayo, and Hightower. Oh, and Nink can play linebacker too. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Outkast1978. Show Outkast1978's posts

we are getting a TE finally

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Outkast1978's comment:

we are getting a TE finally

Maybe a Ted Bolser from IU.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Outkast1978. Show Outkast1978's posts

wow another OL this is Ridiculous 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

New OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo will have his hands full in camp.

They've certainly identified a need to get bigger and nastier up front.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Outkast1978's comment:

wow another OL this is Ridiculous 

Gotta protect the franchise... TB was sacked (40) times in 2013... the most since 2001 (41).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Love it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

I love it.  I thought OL, especially interior OL, was this team's biggest need.  Now they've brought in 2 320+lb interior linemen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

BB seems to have moved away from the smaller, quicker OL in favor of size and nasty.

None of the kids drafted fit the general profile, with slower 3C/SS times.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

If all you need is a backup, grab one on the FA wire. 

A mid round LBer is not going to help you out in all likelihood. Let's be real about draft and the possibility of a player contributing. 

Just grab some UDFAs, grab a vet off the wire. Done. 

I'm pretty happy with Collins, Mayo, and Hightower. Oh, and Nink can play linebacker too. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

Little late for that. They had that chance and looked at a couple different options and decided not to go with them. If you don't think a mid round will help do you honestly believe a UDFA will? I know we love UDFA's around here but Z you have to get serious, a 4th rounder hasa much better shot at being a Fletcher legit #4 LB type than a FA or any LB they pick up via FA this time of year.

All these years have brain washed people to believing the Pats can get good FA's this late into the game or UDFA's can make a difference. How often has that been the case? Heck, I remember people falling all over themselves over the UDFA's two years ago... guess how many are currently on the team

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

Love this pick of Halapio. Our OL is going to be a stacked for quite awhile. A lot of competition going forward. May the best man win.

"I don’t know. I think Tom is probably the best leader I’ve ever been around so I wouldn’t be too critical of him. " - BB

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Cant believe the last 1st Round WR who won multiple Superbowls with the SAME team was Micheal Irvin.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Tom E. Curran ‏@tomecurran 3m

Halapio tied for lowest-vertical jump among OL at the NFL Combine. 21-1.5 inches. Pats liked fact he's well-grounded.

Hahaha!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric1. Show KyleCleric1's posts

Yea. Very interesting to select 3 guys that are so big.

T: Nate Solder, Sebastian Vollmer, Cameron Fleming, RJ Mattes, Jordan Devey
    G: Logan Mankins, Dan Connolly, Jon Halapio, Chris Barker, Josh Kline
    C: Ryan Wendell, Bryan Stork, Braxston Cave
    G/T: Marcus Cannon

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Mike Reiss ‏@MikeReiss 52s

Florida guard Jon Halapio is 6-foot-3 1/2 and 323 pounds. Has low durability grade from Scouts Inc. based on injuries.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Tom E. Curran ‏@tomecurran 3m

Halapio tied for lowest-vertical jump among OL at the NFL Combine. 21-1.5 inches. Pats liked fact he's well-grounded.

Hahaha!

Doesn't look like he'll be winning any dunk contests, ha.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I find it interesting that the NFL is trending toward smaller, faster D-Linemen and the Patriots are beefing up on the O-Line. Maybe they think they can exploit these size matchups. Doesn't bother me at all as this O-Line wasn't that great last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw9yEuwohkk" rel="nofollow">

Sections
Shortcuts