***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

mbeaulieu07: just wondering, have you ever worked in scouting or WAR room type job in football? love your knowledge on college prospects and this thread is amazing (ima draft junkee thats why)

Thanks man, but no I'm just an average joe with a love for the draft and draft talk... love researching players.  I guess, once day I just got sick of reading the Kiper's of the world and wanted to form my own opinion of a player vs. just accepting what was told to me.

Love that this thread provides a forum for like minded people to discuss the draft... fortunate that there are so many knowledgable posters that contribute.  Welcome to the thread too!

dang that's sick! i try to always do a lot of research on guys but i normally dont start until combine time. this thread has already got me thinking of this upcoming draft and i love it.

great work, and thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Could be some good teams having bad years (Balt, Chicago, Giants, Texans) that hit the sweet 10-15 spot in next year's draft. just saying.

MB What is up with Nix? Is he injured? How bad? Draft status?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

Could be some good teams having bad years (Balt, Chicago, Giants, Texans) that hit the sweet 10-15 spot in next year's draft. just saying.

Yeah, believe it's his knee... def not 100%, but is trying to play through it.  He's expected to declare for the draft, though he does have a 5th year of eligibility if he wishes to remain and he graduates this year, so he could just play ball and not have to go to class.  If he does declare, he's Top 10-15.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

Yeah, believe it's his knee... def not 100%, but is trying to play through it.  He's expected to declare for the draft, though he does have a 5th year of eligibility if he wishes to remain and he graduates this year, so he could just play ball and not have to go to class.  If he does declare, he's Top 10-15.

Unless there is a QB run early in the draft, I don't think he will get out of the top 10. NTs are not easy to find, and he is one you can build a D around.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Hey all!  Been a while since I've posted on this thread.  Not for lack of interest, just lack of time.  Anyway, I saw on another thread where seattlepat asked me to comment on Washington State DT Xavier Cooper.  I'm glad he mentioned him, because he is a player who I really like, as do those close to the Washington State program.  He is only a Soph, so he probably won't come out until at least 2015, but he is a name to keep in mind for sure.  Adequate size, I think he is around 6'5" 300 lbs, and very good burst for a big man.  He has surely been a bright spot for the Cougs defense this year, and even last.  He is one of those guys who you really notice when you watch the games, and I think that is somewhat rare for an interior lineman.  From what I understand he is a great student as well, and that doesn't hurt.  Take a look at him if you get a chance, and thanks for the shout-out seattlepat!

As long as I am commenting on Wazzu guys, a more immediate name to consider is Deone Buchannon.  He is the senior Safety on WSU's defense, and probably the best overall player on their team.  This guy is a tremendously instinctive player, and arguably the hardest hitter in college football.  YouTube his hit against Auburn this year if you want proof.  However, he is more that just a thumper.  I've seen his game develop a lot since he has been at Wazzu, and he has become a top flight safety who can definitally get physical when needed, but who also shows good field awareness and above average ball skills.  I bet he will be a rising name as the draft approaches. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Thanks Wazzu.

I was aware that Xavier is a rSo. There definitely is an argument for him to stay another year. That said, the supply and demand situation on DTs and the season he's having suggest 2014 might be a good year for him to come out.

Frankly, after seeing CAR's interior DL last night, I am now even more convinced that the Pats should continue to boost their talent there.

Cooper is one of two DTs (along with Carrethers) that I have not seen but really would like to see play. Unfortunately, I am not anymore seeing any Wazzu or Ark St games scheduled to be shown by my cable service.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

mbeaulieu07: just wondering, have you ever worked in scouting or WAR room type job in football? love your knowledge on college prospects and this thread is amazing (ima draft junkee thats why)

Thanks man, but no I'm just an average joe with a love for the draft and draft talk... love researching players.  I guess, once day I just got sick of reading the Kiper's of the world and wanted to form my own opinion of a player vs. just accepting what was told to me.

Love that this thread provides a forum for like minded people to discuss the draft... fortunate that there are so many knowledgable posters that contribute.  Welcome to the thread too!

dang that's sick! i try to always do a lot of research on guys but i normally dont start until combine time. this thread has already got me thinking of this upcoming draft and i love it.

great work, and thanks!

Until two years ago I did the same. Then I realized that the process is in reverse.

Better process: Watch the games and find the prospects who can make plays. Use the combine as objective validation of whether the speed, strength, agility are indeed good enough to allow the players to make the same plays in the NFL.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

This is the best thread on BDC because we have a passion for doing it.  Also, we are not arrogant.  We respect all opinions.  

Out of all the players NE drafts every year, I am lucky if I pick 1 or 2.   In the end, it is the research that is appealing, always looking for that "sleeper"  or trying to find the next Wilfork or Brady.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

OK, who would you pick?  The list below is from NEPATRIOTS DRAFT.  If this group of players were on NEs 1st round grade list  would you still pick Amaro or someone else off the list?

I would. I think Amaro is the most complete player of all listed.

28.       New England Patriots – TE Jace Amaro, Texas Tech*

Bill Belichick has historically favored drafting tight ends with high picks, a decision made easier here by the lack of low-risk alternative options elsewhere.

29.       New Orleans Saints – LB Kyle Van Noy, Brigham Young

The Saints have the luxury of basically drafting the best player available at this point, so adding a dynamic edge rusher to Rob Ryan’s 3-4 should appeal to them.

30.       Denver Broncos – DE Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame*

Tuitt’s junior season has really hurt his draft stock, but his potential could earn him a spot in the first; Denver may want to replace oversized end Derek Wolfe.

31.       Seattle Seahawks – OG Cyril Richardson, Baylor

The Seahawks have been starting James Carpenter and J.R. Sweezy at guard, neither of whom has been effective enough to prevent additional competition.

32.       Kansas City Chiefs – OG Zack Martin, Notre Dame

Martin may actually be a better guard than Richardson, but Seattle’s scheme may favor the latter, providing the Chiefs with a solid value to conclude the first day.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

OK, who would you pick?  The list below is from NEPATRIOTS DRAFT.  If this group of players were on NEs 1st round grade list  would you still pick Amaro or someone else off the list?

Bill Belichick has historically favored drafting tight ends with high picks, a decision made easier here by the lack of low-risk alternative options elsewhere.

The Saints have the luxury of basically drafting the best player available at this point, so adding a dynamic edge rusher to Rob Ryan’s 3-4 should appeal to them.

Tuitt’s junior season has really hurt his draft stock, but his potential could earn him a spot in the first; Denver may want to replace oversized end Derek Wolfe.

The Seahawks have been starting James Carpenter and J.R. Sweezy at guard, neither of whom has been effective enough to prevent additional competition.

Martin may actually be a better guard than Richardson, but Seattle’s scheme may favor the latter, providing the Chiefs with a solid value to conclude the first day.

I'd take Tuitt... but Amaro is definitely in the conversation... I left him off my Rd 1 watch list as he had tweeted that he was gonna return to school... but if he declares for the draft I think he'll be high on BB/NC's list.

With that said, I don't think Tuitt is available there if he declares... too much of a premium on big, athletic DT's... I think Zack Martin is the pick (and is likely who I'll have going to NE with my first mock).  He's a very good all around OL, with a ton of experience and he can play anywhere along the OL.  BB has also established a good relationship with ND HC Brian Kelly.  There's a lot to like here for me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

This is the best thread on BDC because we have a passion for doing it.  Also, we are not arrogant.  We respect all opinions.  

Out of all the players NE drafts every year, I am lucky if I pick 1 or 2.   In the end, it is the research that is appealing, always looking for that "sleeper"  or trying to find the next Wilfork or Brady.

Amen to that!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

+1, a lot of knowledge around here and I would dare say that even though we don't hit as often as the mean of GM's in the NFL each of us is good for 1-2 starting caliber picks outside the 1st and on our best days could be as good as the lowest tier GM's in the league. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

I'd take Tuitt... but Amaro is definitely in the conversation... I left him off my Rd 1 watch list as he had tweeted that he was gonna return to school... but if he declares for the draft I think he'll be high on BB/NC's list.

With that said, I don't think Tuitt is available there if he declares... too much of a premium on big, athletic DT's... I think Zack Martin is the pick (and is likely who I'll have going to NE with my first mock).  He's a very good all around OL, with a ton of experience and he can play anywhere but C... though I'm sure he could do that given time.  BB has also established a good relationship with ND HC Brian Kelly.  There's a lot to like here for me.

I like Martin also. Yankey would be cool.  I have another for later rds and he is smart.

TOP PENN STATE PROSPECTS FOR THE 2014 NFL DRAFT: 3. OG John Urschel (6-3, 308, 5.27)...A standout in the classroom and on the football field, Urschel received scholarship offers from some of the top academic institutions in the country and was set to attend Princeton before Penn State offered him a full ride. He graduated in three years in Happy Valley and is currently working on his second master's in mathematics with a current 4.0 grade-point average. Urschel isn't too bad a football either, applying his smarts and quick thinking on the field. He's always alert with strong awareness in the trenches to keep his head on a swivel and anticipate the action around him.

Urschel stays balanced and flexible off the snap, sinking his hips to win with leverage at the point of attack. He is tough, strong and a glass-eater who plays with a chip on his shoulder and leaves it all out on the battle field. Urschel saw limited playing time over his first three years before becoming a starter at right guard last season and is one of three returning starters on the Nittany Lions' offensive line in 2013. With his brains, there is no question that he'll be a success in whatever he does after Penn State, but Urschel hopes to get a crack at the NFL first and foremost and it's tough to bet against him. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I like Martin also. Yankey would be cool.  I have another for later rds and he is smart.

TOP PENN STATE PROSPECTS FOR THE 2014 NFL DRAFT: 3. OG John Urschel (6-3, 308, 5.27)...A standout in the classroom and on the football field, Urschel received scholarship offers from some of the top academic institutions in the country and was set to attend Princeton before Penn State offered him a full ride. He graduated in three years in Happy Valley and is currently working on his second master's in mathematics with a current 4.0 grade-point average. Urschel isn't too bad a football either, applying his smarts and quick thinking on the field. He's always alert with strong awareness in the trenches to keep his head on a swivel and anticipate the action around him.

Urschel stays balanced and flexible off the snap, sinking his hips to win with leverage at the point of attack. He is tough, strong and a glass-eater who plays with a chip on his shoulder and leaves it all out on the battle field. Urschel saw limited playing time over his first three years before becoming a starter at right guard last season and is one of three returning starters on the Nittany Lions' offensive line in 2013. With his brains, there is no question that he'll be a success in whatever he does after Penn State, but Urschel hopes to get a crack at the NFL first and foremost and it's tough to bet against him. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

I caught the tail end of a special program on ESPN (I think), featuring very intelligent college football players. I know Yankey was there. A QB fron Northwestern was another one features. I believe Urschel was also one of them. I thought he was more than decent, as I watched a couple of PSU games to see Daquan Jones and Allen Robinson.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Question about Amaro...

I just watched the Texas Tech @ Baylor game. For some reason, I don;t see Amaro lining up in the conventional TE spot. He always lined up in the slot, even hen there is no second TE next to either tackle. Is thre where he normally plays from? If so, I would be surprised f he'd a good blocker.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Does anyone have an opinion on on Ahmad Dixon (S for Baylor)? I liked his play against Texas Tech.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Question about Amaro...

I just watched the Texas Tech @ Baylor game. For some reason, I don;t see Amaro lining up in the conventional TE spot. He always lined up in the slot, even hen there is no second TE next to either tackle. Is thre where he normally plays from? If so, I would be surprised f he'd a good blocker.

He was flexed out in most of the tape that I've seen, though I do remember liking his effort/ability as a blocker in space.

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Does anyone have an opinion on on Ahmad Dixon (S for Baylor)? I liked his play against Texas Tech.

Just checked out the Texas Tech tape... aggressive kid, not afraid to come up and hit you and it looked to me that he got in Amaro's head a little as he seemed to hit him on every shallow crosser where he was in the area... also make a nice strip/FF play later in the game.  On the negative side, I think he missed too many tackles as he comes in out of control and doesn't wrap up... also got beat pretty bad by Amaro for  TD.

I'm starting think that I'd prefer a good wrap up tackling safety to a physical banger... at least in this day and age as most kids just whiff on too many tackles... man is that farkin annoying! haha

Below is my Mock V1:

Rd 1:  OL- Zack Martin- 6-4 308- Notre Dame- Extremely good all around player, team captain, extremely durable and has a ton of quality experience (49 consecutive starts over the last 4 years), versatile and can probably play all five positions on the OL, but at the very least can start at either OG spot and play either OT spot in a pinch.  He also shows good feed/quicks/lateral movement ability… there really isn’t much to NOT like about the kid… and BB and BK have formed a solid relationship in recent years… the pick just makes too much sense.  Alternatives:  Oklahoma State CB Justin Gilbert, LSU DT Ego Ferguson, Stanford OL David Yankey

Rd 2:  CB- Darqueze Dennard- 5-11 197- Michigan State- Ironically, this kid caught my eye when MSU was playing in South Bend this year.  Dennard (a cousin of Alfonzo), a team captain, is an ultra-competitive and extremely tough kid that will come at you all game long… he also has excellent speed, agility, quicks, ball skills… is an effective blitzer and is a solid tackler.  Kid could start from Day 1 of camp, IMO and gives you a 4 down ability.  He might be my favorite player in this class.   Alternatives:  VT CB/S Antone Exum, PSU DT Daquan Jones, South Carolina DT Kelcy Quarles

Rd 3: DT- Dominique Easley- 6-2 285- Florida- Going back on what I had said a few days ago in regards to 300 pounds being the standard baseline for a BB DT, I love this kid’s game and he’s one of the better DL in this class, when healthy.  Excellent burst off the snap, scheme/positional versatility, athletic, disruptive, good power, plays nasty and physical, doesn’t take plays off and is proven at the SEC level.  On the negative side, he’s 285 and has had a couple of knee injuries in college.  This would be huge value at this point in the draft.  Alternatives:  Washington DT Danny Shelton,  Alabama DT Ed Stinson,  Iowa TE CJ Fiedorowicz

Rd 4: TE- Arthur Lynch- 6-5 254- Georgia- Is a local boy, playing his HS ball down in Dartmouth, MA… he’s a team captain, with very good ability/upside as an inline blocker.  He’s not a burner, but can make plays in the short/intermediate areas and provide size/ability in the red zone/down by the goal line.  Alternatives:  MSU ILB Max Bullough, Wisconsin LB Chris Borland, Wisconin WR Jared Abbrederis

Rd 6: S- Shamiel Gary- 6-0 210- Oklahoma State- This kid popped to me on tape… I've watched a lot of safety tape in the past couple months and I think this kid might be one of the best that I've seen in this class... which says a lot considering he's currently projected as a Rd 7/URFA type.  He has very good read/react, consistently diagnosing and closing quickly on passes and has the awareness and ball skills to make plays on the football (9 PD this season).  He's probably a 4.55-4.6 kid but shows good fluidity in coverage, but his instincts allow him to get to the ball quickly and he's often in the back pocket of his man.   He's a kid that could cause Patriots Nation to melt down if selected on Day 2 of the draft (similar to Wilson and Harmon), but I think the pick would be warranted.  Really like this kids game and think he’ll rise up draft boards.

Rd 6: RB- Tyler Gaffney- 6-0 227- Stanford- He’s a big, athletic (played pro baseball for a bit) workhorse back that lacks a ton of breakaway ability, but has the size that BB likes, can catch the football and can grind a defense down. 

Rd 7: QB- Kenny Guiton- 6-2 208- Ohio State- A late round flier on an athletic QB with mobility, upside and accuracy that really played well when given an opportunity this year.

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Hey all!  Been a while since I've posted on this thread.  Not for lack of interest, just lack of time.  Anyway, I saw on another thread where seattlepat asked me to comment on Washington State DT Xavier Cooper.  I'm glad he mentioned him, because he is a player who I really like, as do those close to the Washington State program.  He is only a Soph, so he probably won't come out until at least 2015, but he is a name to keep in mind for sure.  Adequate size, I think he is around 6'5" 300 lbs, and very good burst for a big man.  He has surely been a bright spot for the Cougs defense this year, and even last.  He is one of those guys who you really notice when you watch the games, and I think that is somewhat rare for an interior lineman.  From what I understand he is a great student as well, and that doesn't hurt.  Take a look at him if you get a chance, and thanks for the shout-out seattlepat!

As long as I am commenting on Wazzu guys, a more immediate name to consider is Deone Buchannon.  He is the senior Safety on WSU's defense, and probably the best overall player on their team.  This guy is a tremendously instinctive player, and arguably the hardest hitter in college football.  YouTube his hit against Auburn this year if you want proof.  However, he is more that just a thumper.  I've seen his game develop a lot since he has been at Wazzu, and he has become a top flight safety who can definitally get physical when needed, but who also shows good field awareness and above average ball skills.  I bet he will be a rising name as the draft approaches. 

Hey Waz,

Good call... really like what I've seen out'v Bucannon.  Good size, rangy, extremely physical, yet tackles well for the most part (will come in too low and hot at times like most DB's)... also like his play speed and awareness (made a solid adjustment vs. Stanford that resulted in an INT in the end zone) and can be utilized on blitzes.  Looks like a solid Day 2 S option.

Heck, he even has a DB name, haha.. Deone Bucannon just sounds like an NFL defensive back to me.

As an update on Louis Nix III, he's out for the remainder of the year due to recent surgery on his meniscus (not sure of needed recovery time).  That's a big loss for ND's front 7, which has already been decimated by injuries throughout the season.

Morning Boys!

(2) DT names that I look forward to researching more are Caraun Reid (6-2 305) Princeton and Derrick Hopkins (6-0 312) VT.  

I think Reid has been mentioned before and while I probably won't puch much into tape vs. Columbia, this kid looks the part with a solid, strong build, good lateral agility and movement ability, looks strong at the POA and plays with a very solid base and active feet.

Hopkins is a shorter, squatty DT with excellent strength that displays outstanding quickness and explosion for a player his size... the height isn't ideal, but I really like what I've read and seen in this kid and can't wait to watch more tape of him.

Anybody have feedback on the two?

I'll be interested to see if BYU's 6-7 282 DE Bronson Kaufusi delcares for the 2014 draft... he's draft eligible, having signed in 2010 (also served a mission to New Zealand).  He was just a terror vs. ND, giving them troubles all day long and is a big, long, athletic (also played on BYU's basketball team) kid with a lot of upside... though still raw as well.  Intriguing kid.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

I'll be interested to see if BYU's 6-7 282 DE Bronson Kaufusi delcares for the 2014 draft... he's draft eligible, having signed in 2010 (also served a mission to New Zealand).  He was just a terror vs. ND, giving them troubles all day long and is a big, long, athletic (also played on BYU's basketball team) kid with a lot of upside... though still raw as well.  Intriguing kid.

MB I saw Andre Williams, the BC back, have a hugh game against a good Maryland tem yesterday.  What round you think he will be drafted in and do you think he has a Heisman chance?  2000 yards rushing doesn't happen often. Do you think BB has any interest in him?

In response to SilverSun's comment:

MB I saw Andre Williams, the BC back, have a hugh game against a good Maryland tem yesterday.  What round you think he will be drafted in and do you think he has a Heisman chance?  2000 yards rushing doesn't happen often. Do you think BB has any interest in him?

He's was also good against VT and FSU, both having outstanding defenses... tells me a lot about the kid.

I think he's a Day 2 kid at this point... and I think BB could have interest as he has the size, power and ball security (generally speaking) that BB covets in his RB's.  It'll all depend on how they view Ridley long term.  

Personally I think he should have his name in the Heisman race, yeah.  Not only is he leading the nation in rushing, by a wide margin (462 ahead of the 2nd place back), but he's also averaging almost 6.5 YPC... and that's on 320 carries (30 ahead of 2nd place)! 

• Sections
    Shortcuts