In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to speedster81's comment:
    [QUOTE] 

Rd 1

OT/OG- Zack Martin- ND ---> Yes

CB- Justin Gilbert- Oklahoma State  --->  YES

DE/OLB- Trent Murphy- Stanford ---> YES

OLB- Kyle Van Noy- BYU ---> Mixed to yes (still hoping he looks as good at the season end as last eyar's season end)

CB/S- Kyle Fuller- VT ---> YES YES (And he may drop too)

OG- David Yankey- Stanford ---> YES YES

Rd 1-2

CB- Darqueze Dennard- Michigan State ---> More a mid second to me

DT- Ra'shede Hageman- Minnesota ---> Will reserve judgement 'til I see my recording of the WIS v MIN game

DT- Ego Ferguson- LSU ---> Maybe in the early second

DT- Timmy Jernigan- FSU ---> For a run stuffer, I'd rather take Allen in the third round

CB- Bradley Roby- OSU ---> I will have to see another OSU game

ILB- AJ Johnson- Tennessee ---> Will have to see another TEN game

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just sharing my quick reactions above...

[/QUOTE]

Well, I finally got a chance to follow through with watching the WIS @ MIN game. Frankly, I am still struggling to see why people are infatuated with Hageman. I'd appreciate it if anyone can tell me when Hageman made good plays. I think I saw him make a good tackle in the first quarter. On anotehr play, I saw him open up a lane for his LB to attack the WIS QB on a delayed blitz for a sack. That was it.

Throughout the ame, I was just watching WIS's Allen and Abbrederis and MIN's Hageman.

My thoughts on Hageman, based on four MIN games I have seen (vs WIS, vs PSU, vs Iowa and another that I don't remember who):

He does not play on a big chunk of MIN's defensive snaps. Against WIS, I don't think he even played on 50% of their defensive snaps. Against PSU, I noticed he did not play on a lot of snaps, but did not really take note of how much. It was the observation on that game vs PSU, that made me track his snaps on the WIS game.

I have not figured out what he is good at. I have not seen him get to the QB. Maybe I missed it, as I speed through some portions of the game. I don't think offenses are afraid of his ability to stop teh run. At least WIS is not afraid of running at him. On a 2nd and goal at the MIN 2, in Q2,WIS ran through where Hageman lined up, for a TD. On a 4th and 1, WIS ran at his side again for a first down.

Between WIS's Allen and MIN's Hageman, I think I strongly prefer Allen (who is projected to be available in the fourth) than Hageman where he is currently projected - 1st rnd. At least, I know what I am getting from Allen - a 333 lb NT who actually is strong at holding space and arguably a more active motor than most NTs.

I believe, WIS's Allen and PSU's Jones are the NTs that present the best value where they are projected.

That said, I am sure come March, someone will have put together on youtube a highlight reel of Hageman's spectacular plays. Plus, I do anticipate Hageman to ace his combine.

[/QUOTE]

Love the continued feedback on Hageman, keep it coming!

Ego Ferguson is probably the top DT on my board at this point, and I can't wait to see more tape of Kelcy Quarles... would love to see them double up... snagging Ferguson, Quarles or or D. Jones on Day 1 or 2... then following up with Beau on Day 3.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to SilverSun's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not that I expect BB to target another WR early, but if he does, LSU's Jarvis Landry (6-0 195) is probably at the top of my list of Day 2 options.  Good size, solid NFL build, can operate out of the slot, but has adequate size to play on the outside.  He's a tough, competitive kid with big, strong hands, good ball skills and body control that has the quicks/COD/RAC ability that BB/NC covet in the position... and he has no problem working the middle fo the field.  Really like his game.

[/QUOTE]

MB, you are spot on again!  Check out your boys catch vs Arkansas today right here:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24301139/video-jarvis-landrys-amazing-catch-vs-arkansas

[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I've had it in my player review queue to check out the LSU WR's (Landry and Beckham), but haven't gotten around to it... and that catch last night was what made me want to give him a deeper look, ha.  Really like this kid.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Ego has been growing on me.  The first video I saw gave me a different impression of what I am seeing now.  He is moving up for sure. This draft's top DL talent is 43DE so I would be happy Ferguson, Johnson, Jernigan or Easley.  If we double dip I would go NT with Jones, McCullers, Allen, or Stephen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to melswitt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to speedster81's comment:
    [QUOTE] 

Rd 1

OT/OG- Zack Martin- ND ---> Yes

CB- Justin Gilbert- Oklahoma State  --->  YES

DE/OLB- Trent Murphy- Stanford ---> YES

OLB- Kyle Van Noy- BYU ---> Mixed to yes (still hoping he looks as good at the season end as last eyar's season end)

CB/S- Kyle Fuller- VT ---> YES YES (And he may drop too)

OG- David Yankey- Stanford ---> YES YES

Rd 1-2

CB- Darqueze Dennard- Michigan State ---> More a mid second to me

DT- Ra'shede Hageman- Minnesota ---> Will reserve judgement 'til I see my recording of the WIS v MIN game

DT- Ego Ferguson- LSU ---> Maybe in the early second

DT- Timmy Jernigan- FSU ---> For a run stuffer, I'd rather take Allen in the third round

CB- Bradley Roby- OSU ---> I will have to see another OSU game

ILB- AJ Johnson- Tennessee ---> Will have to see another TEN game

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just sharing my quick reactions above...

[/QUOTE]

Well, I finally got a chance to follow through with watching the WIS @ MIN game. Frankly, I am still struggling to see why people are infatuated with Hageman. I'd appreciate it if anyone can tell me when Hageman made good plays. I think I saw him make a good tackle in the first quarter. On anotehr play, I saw him open up a lane for his LB to attack the WIS QB on a delayed blitz for a sack. That was it.

Throughout the ame, I was just watching WIS's Allen and Abbrederis and MIN's Hageman.

My thoughts on Hageman, based on four MIN games I have seen (vs WIS, vs PSU, vs Iowa and another that I don't remember who):

He does not play on a big chunk of MIN's defensive snaps. Against WIS, I don't think he even played on 50% of their defensive snaps. Against PSU, I noticed he did not play on a lot of snaps, but did not really take note of how much. It was the observation on that game vs PSU, that made me track his snaps on the WIS game.

I have not figured out what he is good at. I have not seen him get to the QB. Maybe I missed it, as I speed through some portions of the game. I don't think offenses are afraid of his ability to stop teh run. At least WIS is not afraid of running at him. On a 2nd and goal at the MIN 2, in Q2,WIS ran through where Hageman lined up, for a TD. On a 4th and 1, WIS ran at his side again for a first down.

Between WIS's Allen and MIN's Hageman, I think I strongly prefer Allen (who is projected to be available in the fourth) than Hageman where he is currently projected - 1st rnd. At least, I know what I am getting from Allen - a 333 lb NT who actually is strong at holding space and arguably a more active motor than most NTs.

I believe, WIS's Allen and PSU's Jones are the NTs that present the best value where they are projected.

That said, I am sure come March, someone will have put together on youtube a highlight reel of Hageman's spectacular plays. Plus, I do anticipate Hageman to ace his combine.

[/QUOTE]

Love the continued feedback on Hageman, keep it coming!

Ego Ferguson is probably the top DT on my board at this point, and I can't wait to see more tape of Kelcy Quarles... would love to see them double up... snagging Ferguson, Quarles or or D. Jones on Day 1 or 2... then following up with Beau on Day 3.

[/QUOTE]

Agree completely on Hageman...I've TRIED to watch him play several times and he never seems to be on the field and when he is he's not even the best D lineman on his own team, or at least that's the way it seems to me....wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

Dennard of Michigan State gets after it all the time, plays all out all the time...he's a real ball hawk and has great coverage skills but is a legit tough guy on the field....in fact, the entire Mich. State D has many draftable guys who will be productive NFL players.

[/QUOTE]

I'm with you... have mentioned it a couple times, but Dennard might be my favorite player in this class... not sure there's a tougher, more competitive kid in college football... love this kids game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Jace Amaro Leaning Toward 2014 NFL Draft

Published Nov. 19, 2013 
    By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell 

Texas Tech junior tight end Jace Amaro has been one of the best tight ends in college football this season. A few weeks ago, Amaro surprised many when he tweeted that he was going to return for his senior campaign. However, Amaro wouldn't be the first player to change his mind and enter the draft. Sources tell WalterFootball.com that they believe that has happened with Amaro. Sources say that the junior is very likely to come out and has told some around the Tech program that he is going to enter the 2014 NFL Draft. 

There is no doubt that Amaro's receiving ability will be in high demand in the passing-driven NFL. His blocking could be a potential area of improvement for him; one source with a NFL team said that was a concern for Tyler Eifert, but that didn't stop the rookie from being a first-round pick by Cincinnati last April. 

If Amaro enters the 2014 NFL Draft, he would be in the running to be the first tight end selected with North Carolina's Eric Ebron and Washington's Austin Seferian-Jenkins. Those two also could skip their senior seasons to go the NFL. If Amaro, Ebron and Seferian-Jenkins all enter the 2014 NFL Draft, this could be a rare year of strength for the tight end class, similar to the guard position in the 2013 NFL Draft. Amaro will be an interesting player to monitor when the seasons ends. 

Amaro has 92 receptions for 1,157 yards with six touchdowns this season. He has been a matchup nightmare with many huge Saturdays for the Red Raiders. The 6-foot-5, 260-pounder has good size to go along with superb quickness and hands. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

After watching ND OT Zack Martin essentially shutout Stanford DE Trent Murphy during their head to head snaps, I'm only further convinced that he's on the short list of Rd 1 options for BB in the 2014 draft.  Kid's is just a stud and one of the more consistent, error free football players in the country... a true plug and play from Day 1 of camp.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]Jace Amaro Leaning Toward 2014 NFL Draft

Published Nov. 19, 2013 

Texas Tech junior tight end Jace Amaro has been one of the best tight ends in college football this season. A few weeks ago, Amaro surprised many when he tweeted that he was going to return for his senior campaign. However, Amaro wouldn't be the first player to change his mind and enter the draft. Sources tell WalterFootball.com that they believe that has happened with Amaro. Sources say that the junior is very likely to come out and has told some around the Tech program that he is going to enter the 2014 NFL Draft. 

There is no doubt that Amaro's receiving ability will be in high demand in the passing-driven NFL. His blocking could be a potential area of improvement for him; one source with a NFL team said that was a concern for Tyler Eifert, but that didn't stop the rookie from being a first-round pick by Cincinnati last April. 

If Amaro enters the 2014 NFL Draft, he would be in the running to be the first tight end selected with North Carolina's Eric Ebron and Washington's Austin Seferian-Jenkins. Those two also could skip their senior seasons to go the NFL. If Amaro, Ebron and Seferian-Jenkins all enter the 2014 NFL Draft, this could be a rare year of strength for the tight end class, similar to the guard position in the 2013 NFL Draft. Amaro will be an interesting player to monitor when the seasons ends. 

Amaro has 92 receptions for 1,157 yards with six touchdowns this season. He has been a matchup nightmare with many huge Saturdays for the Red Raiders. The 6-foot-5, 260-pounder has good size to go along with superb quickness and hands. 

[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's certainly something to keep an eye on... he's instantly Top 5 on my board if he declares... though at the end of the day, he might be out of range.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Jace Amaro Leaning Toward 2014 NFL Draft

Published Nov. 19, 2013 

[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's certainly something to keep an eye on... he's instantly Top 5 on my board if he declares... though at the end of the day, he might be out of range.

[/QUOTE]

I believe Amaro will be picked up at a slot that I would rather that Pats use on more pressing positions. That said, I would have no complaints if the Pats picked up Amaro.

When thinking of drafing for a TE, I wonder if Pats are inclined to find the Hern replacement or a Gronk back up (who occasionally would be on the field as the same time as Gronk).

If that latter, here's an idea that is currently under the radar:

Crockett Gimore, Colorado State

Currently projected to go undrafted.

Measures 6-6, 255. Had 43 receptions for 533 yards in 2013. Had about the same in 2011, but had a low year in 2011. He is used mainly as a blocker, but looks capable of running decent routes, catching on the run, getting YAC (Caveat: I am bringing him up in violation of my own preferred approach to finding players, which is to watch full games. I only saw youtube highlights of his play. I have no idea how many passes the kid drops per game.).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I just did a web search on Gilmore and found articles talking about...

...Dropped passes earlier in the season. Hopefully that did not stay with him. His stats seem to suggest he fixed that.

...Struggling with blocking (separate article). The article was written in August 2013. Problem may have been fixed.

Anyone here know a lot about the MW, and who can tell us more about the kid?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

...Dropped passes earlier in the season. Hopefully that did not stay with him. His stats seem to suggest he fixed that.

...Struggling with blocking (separate article). The article was written in August 2013. Problem may have been fixed.

[/QUOTE]

I've had similar issues with locating tape on multiple Day 3 type TE's... though I did find some on Indiana's Ted Bolser and while he can catch the football and has adequate size, he looked like one of softest blockers that I remember seeing at the position.  I mean, I may need to rewatch, but he seemed to have an awful hard time finding someone on the other team to put his hands on.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I've had similar issues with locating tape on multiple Day 3 type TE's... though I did find some on Indiana's Ted Bolser and while he can catch the football and has adequate size, he looked like one of softest blockers that I remember seeing at the position.  I mean, I may need to rewatch, but he seemed to have an awful hard time finding someone on the other team to put his hands on.

[/QUOTE]

Just basing it on a few videos I saw of Colorado State (The school actually produces their team's highlight youtubes), Gilmore seemed to block well. You'd see it when they show the QB pass to other receivers, or on run plays the reel showcases.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

BTW, MB... how do you think the surgery affect where Nix gets picked? Could he drop far enough to the Pats?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

BTW, MB... how do you think the surgery affect where Nix gets picked? Could he drop far enough to the Pats?

[/QUOTE]

Haven't really seen an estimated timetable for his return, but my guess is that it probably will not have much effect on his draft status much.  Heck, there's even a chance he could return to ND! ;)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just basing it on a few videos I saw of Colorado State (The school actually produces their team's highlight youtubes), Gilmore seemed to block well. You'd see it when they show the QB pass to other receivers, or on run plays the reel showcases.

[/QUOTE]

I look forward to seeing more tape on him.

Check out CSU's C, Weston Richburg... really like this kid as a Day 2 C/OG option.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Big question, is Talib on Pats roster next year?  I keep looking at DTs, OL TEs but keep coming back to the CB position thinking how different the D would look without Talib who has played as one of the top 3 if not the top CB in the league.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Good pick-up on Richburg.  He held his ground against Alabama, agressive and moved well blocking on screens.  He seems to have good short area quickness.

Did have a bad snap against Colorado, don't know if that is an issue.  I agree DAY 2 C/OG.

A native of Bushland, Texas, Richburg helped revitalize a CSU offensive line that started the 2012 season with both injuries and inexperience. Richburg and company paved the way for the Rams running game, leading to an increase in rushing yardage per game from 99.7 in the team's first seven contests to just under 170 yards per game in the Rams' final five contests.

Richburg, who graduated this summer with his degree in Animal Science, has played in every game of his Colorado State career (36) and led the offensive line unit in knockdown blocks in 2012. Richburg was a second-team All-MW honoree as a sophomore in 2011, while earning honorable mention all-conference nods in both 2010 and 2012. - Colorado State football

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Big question, is Talib on Pats roster next year?  I keep looking at DTs, OL TEs but keep coming back to the CB position thinking how different the D would look without Talib who has played as one of the top 3 if not the top CB in the league.

[/QUOTE]

I've asked myself this as well.

On one hand, you can clearly see his impact on the defense when healthy.

On the other, he's had some durability concerns during his time here and there's always the off field threat, though to his credit, he's appeared to keep his nose clean during his time in Foxboro.

I don't think they'll offer anything long term for him, so it all depends on if he'd want to come back on a short term deal.

With that said, this looks to be a very good CB class, with multiple options available inside the Top 64 that interest me (Gilbert, Fuller, Dennard & Roby, etc.).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

Good pick-up on Richburg.  He held his ground against Alabama, agressive and moved well blocking on screens.  He seems to have good short area quickness.

Did have a bad snap against Colorado, don't know if that is an issue.  I agree DAY 2 C/OG.

A native of Bushland, Texas, Richburg helped revitalize a CSU offensive line that started the 2012 season with both injuries and inexperience. Richburg and company paved the way for the Rams running game, leading to an increase in rushing yardage per game from 99.7 in the team's first seven contests to just under 170 yards per game in the Rams' final five contests.

Richburg, who graduated this summer with his degree in Animal Science, has played in every game of his Colorado State career (36) and led the offensive line unit in knockdown blocks in 2012. Richburg was a second-team All-MW honoree as a sophomore in 2011, while earning honorable mention all-conference nods in both 2010 and 2012. - Colorado State football

[/QUOTE]

Thanks... yeah like his quicks off the snap and lateral movement ability... he also plays with some fire/nastiness and you're right, he didn't look out of place vs. Bama... had a pancake block or two on their big NT Brandon Ivory, if I remember correctly.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Mariota's going back to Oregon for his junior year.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10074701/marcus-mariota-oregon-ducks-return-junior-season

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

yep, http://college-football.si.com/2013/12/03/marcus-mariota-hroniss-grasu-oregon-ducks/?eref=sihp

and Mettenberger has a torn ACL

http://college-football.si.com/2013/12/04/lsu-zach-mettenberger-acl-injury/

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Looks like Darqueze Dennard is starting to get the love that he deserves, if these mocks are any indication... Rang has him going 12th overall, Brugler has him at 21.   Guess I can prob forget about BB stealing him at the end of Rd 2. 

Guess they can also forget about Jace Amaro as well... wouldn't shock me in the least to see him go that high.

If the board breaks this way, I'd be all over ND's Zack Martin or LSU's Ego Ferguson.

Thoughts?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

Looks like Darqueze Dennard is starting to get the love that he deserves, if these mocks are any indication... Rang has him going 12th overall, Brugler has him at 21.   Guess I can prob forget about BB stealing him at the end of Rd 2. 

Guess they can also forget about Jace Amaro as well... wouldn't shock me in the least to see him go that high.

If the board breaks this way, I'd be all over ND's Zack Martin or LSU's Ego Ferguson.

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

not surprised to see a very good talent finally get the love he deserves, Dennard is legit. and as for MArtin or Ferguson to me it all depends on what happens in FA. if we go after DT's obviously i dont think filling a void already filled with a first rounder is smart. its tough to say what position BB will go with the many roster questions hanging still

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

yep, http://college-football.si.com/2013/12/03/marcus-mariota-hroniss-grasu-oregon-ducks/?eref=sihp

[/QUOTE]

Gotta say... I was really impressed by the progress Mettenberger made over last year. I thought he was not any good last year. This year, he showed much better decision-making and he threw better balls.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

not surprised to see a very good talent finally get the love he deserves, Dennard is legit. and as for MArtin or Ferguson to me it all depends on what happens in FA. if we go after DT's obviously i dont think filling a void already filled with a first rounder is smart. its tough to say what position BB will go with the many roster questions hanging still

[/QUOTE]

FA will certainly play a roll, though I still hope they address trench play (either side of the ball), with a fatty in Rd 1.  That or a CB (Dennard, Gilbert or Fuller), if Talib isn't brought back.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gotta say... I was really impressed by the progress Mettenberger made over last year. I thought he was not any good last year. This year, he showed much better decision-making and he threw better balls.

[/QUOTE]

And he has some real deal talent around him too (Landry/Beckham at WR, Hill at RB).

Sections
Shortcuts