***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

MB, good to here from you.  Always good to talk about the draft. 

Hey man!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to garytx's comment:

I was wondering when this thread was going to get started.  I think it good timing with the first set of games starting this weekend.  Our season is finally here.

Welcome Back!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

Hey MB nice to see you bro how are u man? the college football is back tomorrow and we are back here to have a great conversation about prospects.

Hey man!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to NOISE's comment:

SUP MB!

thanks again for another year of this!  Glad to know there others out there that think, sleep, and eat this stuff up like we all do in here! lol

AJ McCarron Bama QB, (putting aside ms bama for a sec)  now eventually we will need a Brady replacement, wouldnt this kid be a 'brady-like' replacement?  He reminds me of Brady when Brady was at Michigan, just Brady had lots of qb competition there....

just curious on your thoughts or anyone elses out there?  ....

go pats!

Sup man!

I think AJ McCarron will be one of the hotter/more discussed names on the thread this season... assuming he keeps ascending as a player... really like him as a potential TB replacement option down the road.  Good size, accurate, proven on the big stage, spins a nice deep ball, adequate/good arm strength and is also a competitive kid... heck even his mom's a coug, haha.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Rnd 1: DT or 34 DE (McCullers, Nix, Tuitt) or OL.

Rnd 2: CB or OL (QB if Mariota is available); go to FA for the position not picked

Rnd 3: QB (will be a QB-rich QB)

no more high picks on CB's please. By all means we can use every pick on day 3 on CB's but no more day 1 or 2 picks on CB's

We'll see what Logan Ryan can do... up and down camp, but has definitely flashed some ability/versatility... though I think most fans share your sentiment.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Talking about college football what do u think about Manziel half game ban? LMAO

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Talking about college football what do u think about Manziel half game ban? LMAO

I think it's a f'n joke.  If they wanna penalized teams/players... make the miss a game or more against an actual opponent (i.e. week 3 vs. Bama).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Lol patsfaninba2! 

This summer flew by and we are here again. I am not even sure at this point who the pats should target specifucally, but after letting Ras go and Talib on a short contract, cb once again becomes an area of need. I would also add DT to the list on defense to start.

on offense, I can see bb taking a QB at some point. I would expect one given mallets in his contract year next. OL, and perhaps WR depending on how the youngins look this year. 

i think FA will be a light year next. Too many of our own to resign and extend, and big question marks on the ah contract...will the pats get cap relief? 

Okay, I need to hit the books on this years college class. I will begin with your list above MB and look back over my notes from last year.

thanks for kicking it off once again. I always enjoy this thread because its without the drama...all football.

Welcome back, PL!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Someone will watch a college game tonight? if yes what game?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Ah Yes!!! The thread is here again. As always, thank you for putting it up.

The upcoming draft is very promising for teams who are looking for QBs - starters (immediate and future) and backups. It's really looking seep at QB. And your list is a good place to start.

If there is a name I would add to that list, it would be Pachall of TCU. He was away for one year, but looked good before. If he managed to stay sharp, he will be an attractive pesopect for a lot of teams.

On that list of yours, the QBs I would pick if I had to pick now, are McCarron (if the need is for a pure pocket passer) and Mariota. Mariota has all the tools to do anything the coach will want. Kelly will be all over him regardless of how the Eagles perform. However, IMO, he has shown good stuff going on above his shoulders, that he can be very successful in the pocket.

My thoughts on other positions where I feel NWE might dip their hands in.

At DT, I really like two kids - McCullers and Nix. Any team looking for a NT will be crazy not to watch him this year. He just needs to show improved ability to push the pocket, and he may be unreachable for the Pats. Nix, to me, is a very good, but more conventional DT.

At DE, I am really really sold on Tuitt. Maybe because I prefer the 34, and I believe this kid will be as good as Seymour, if not better. For some reason, I can't see you contradicting that. I am hoping one or two other DEs besides Clowney emerges as the hot thing this year, so that the Pats have a shot at Tuitt.

TE is another position, that I think will be deep. My guess is that Fiederowicz and Sefarian-Jenkins will be gone early. I think Friel will be a good pick.

At CB, I am right now sold on Roby and Verrett.

Hey, SP!

We'll see if Pachall can win his starting QB job back... wasn't really impressed with Boykin last year, but I don't believe Patterson has named his starter yet.

I love Nix, aka Irish Chocolate... kid is a load and projects to a pure 34 NT at the NFL level. I think both he and Tuitt have the potential to be off the board in the Top 10 with good years.

I can see Fiederowicz becoming a popular name in these parts... huge kid, very good all around TE with both flex/inline ability. Also keep an eye on Georgia's Arthur Lynch... love this kid as a potential Day 2 target... very good size, projects as an excellent inline blocker playing with good effort, leverage and a good base and does a good job at the 2nd level... sticks to his man and plays to/through the whistle... also has good movement ability as a receiver with soft hands and some power/athleticism after the catch. 

Roby is a flat out stud, IMO... I had him as the best CB if he came out last season... also like Verrett, though he'll need to add weight.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Someone will watch a college game tonight? if yes what game?

Gonna try and watch some of all (3) games (2 college as well as the Pats).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

A few things about this draft: 1) If Manziel declares I could see 4 or 5 QBs being taken; Bridgewater, Boyd, Manziel, McCarron; alot of  this will be contingent on their production in the upcoming college season. 2) Once again based on the limited # of picks I could easily see Belichick trading down (as much as some hate hearing that) 3) I see the needs as being DT, OL, TE, QB , CB but you can put up a good argument for any one of those being 1st. As always the Pats have to assess the depth and quality of play from each position.

I was going to list  the 4th as "the Pats have no shot at Clowney" , but at this point that trite fact is very obvious.

Glad to have you back MB; not so surprised you have Nix up there in the mix.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

A few things about this draft: 1) If Manziel declares I could see 4 or 5 QBs being taken; Bridgewater, Boyd, Manziel, McCarron; alot of  this will be contingent on their production in the upcoming college season. 2) Once again based on the limited # of picks I could easily see Belichick trading down (as much as some hate hearing that) 3) I see the needs as being DT, OL, TE, QB , CB but you can put up a good argument for any one of those being 1st. As always the Pats have to assess the depth and quality of play from each position.

I was going to list  the 4th as "the Pats have no shot at Clowney" , but at this point that trite fact is very obvious.

Glad to have you back MB; not so surprised you have Nix up there in the mix.

Welcome back, JHr!

There's no denying Manziel's ability on the football field... kid is ultra athletic, mobile has good arms strength and can fit the football into tight places... but he's a complete knucklehead off the field and teams will certainly need to think twice about handing the keys and face of the franchise over someone like him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Hey MB good to have you and this thread  back! Just one question please; are the folks on your list only players you think will be available wehn the Pats pick (#32 hopefully) of they all top prospects? Just curious becaseu I didnt see Johnny Football on there (unless I missed him). Either way I would take Johnny and the TE who spoke about Sandy Hook off my draft board! Stay well!

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

What a joke, we have no evidence you took money so lets split the baby in half and you can't play for half a game for signing your name.... and oh, oh, oh you have to give a speech to your teammates about what you learned.

Manziel: I learned the NCAA is full of a bunch of richards

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

Hey MB good to have you and this thread  back! Just one question please; are the folks on your list only players you think will be available wehn the Pats pick (#32 hopefully) of they all top prospects? Just curious becaseu I didnt see Johnny Football on there (unless I missed him). Either way I would take Johnny and the TE who spoke about Sandy Hook off my draft board! Stay well!

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

Welcome back, Quag!

It's mostly players that could/should be there and some that could/should be out of reach (Bridgewater/Nix/Tuitt, etc.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

PER GAME WATCH LIST

ALABAMA vs VIRGINIA TECH

ALABAMA

QB AJ McCarron, #10 – Arguably the best pure pocket passer in college; Hot, hot GF

WR Kevin Norwood, #83 – may not be the top, but you’ll hear his name a lot

OT Cyrus Kouandjio, #71 – Arguably the top OT

OG Anthony Steen, #61 – IMO top 5 OG skill, but a bit light at 303

DE Geoffrey Pagan, #8

OLB CJ Mosley, #32

OLB Adrian Hubbard, #42 – Arguably the best OLB in college

ILB Tre Depriest, #33 – Best ILB in college?

SS Vinnie Sunseri, #33 – Best SS in college?

CB Hasean Clinton-Dix, #6 – Will compete for top CB draft pick

VIRGINIA TECH

QB Logan Thomas, #2

OG Brent Benedict, #55

DE James Gayle, #99

ILB Jack Tyler, #58

SS Kyshoen Jarrett, 34

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

PER GAME WATCH LIST

GEORGIA vs. CLEMSON

GEORGIA

QB Aaron Murray, #11 – Excellent QB skills but only 6’1”

C David Andrews, #61

WR Malcolm Mitchell, #26

TE Arthur Lynch, #88

SS Corey Moore, #39

CLEMSON

QB Tajh Boyd, #10 – Excellent mobile QB, but 6’1”; Russell Wilson 2.0?

WR Sammy Watkins, #2 – Very similar to DeAndre Hopkins

OG Brandon Thomas, #63

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

PER GAME WATCH LIST

LSU vs. TCU

LSU

OG La’el Collins, #78

QB Zach Mettenberger, #8 – Did not impress last year, but could make strides

SS Craig Loston, #6 – Will battle Sunseri for #1 SS

DT Anthony Johnson, #90

TCU

QB Casey Pachall, #4

CB Jason Verrett, #2 – in the discussion for top CB in draft

SS Sam Carter, #17

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Sometimes, I find myself in a place where the TV is set on a game I was not planning to watch. Those times I like knowing which kids to watch, so I made up my list per team, starting with the PAC 12.

I am sharing it here in case others are interested.

PAC-12

ARIZONA

WR Austin Hill, #29

RB Kadeem Carey, #25

FS Jared Trevis, #38

ARIZONA STATE

TE Chris Coyle, #87 – Very talented albeit undersized

DE Will Sutton, #90 – Competing to be the second or third DE picked

FS Alden Darby, #4 

CALIFORNIA

DT DeAndre Coleman, #91 – Could make case for draft’s top 4 DTs

DT Viliami Moala, #55 – More than decent skills, 338 lbs

TE Richard Rodgers, #11 

COLORADO

WR Paul Richardson, #6 

OREGON

QB Marcus Mariota, #8 – If he progresses, could compete for top QB of draft

WR Josh Huff, #1

RB De’Anthony Thomas, #6 – 5’9”, but there may not be a RB more explosive; catches like a WR

TE Colt Lyeria, #15 – among the best pass catching TEs in college

C Hroniss Grassu, #55 – skilled C but undersized for my taste

CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, #14 – in the discussion for best CB of draft 

OREGON STATE

DE Scott Chricton, #95 – Top 5 DE among juniors 

STANFORD

QB Kevin Hogan, #8

OT David Yankey, #54

FS Ed Reynolds, #29 – in the discussion for best FS of draft

SS Jordan Richards, #8

ILB Shane Skov, #11– was on watch lists for last year’s draft

DE Henry Anderson, #91

DE Ben Gardner, #49

OLB Trent Murphy, #93 – Ranked T53 in SBNation’s big board

CB Wayne Lyons, #2

UCLA

OG Xavier Sua-Filo, #56 – among best in skill but only 295 lbs

QB Brett Hundley, #17

OLB Anthony Barr, #11 – in discussion for best OLB of draft 

USC

WR Marquis Lee, #9 – widely regard as top WR coming into season

RB Silas Redd, #25 – among top RBs in college

TE Xavier Grimble, #86

TE Randall Telfer, #82

OT Aundrey Walker, #70

OG Marcus Martin, #66

UTAH

QB Travis Wilson, #7 – a QB in a TE body

SS Brian Blechen, #4

WASHINGTON

TE Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, #88 – current #1 TE in college

WASHINGTON STATE

SS Deone Bucannon, #20

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

Welcome back, Quag!

It's mostly players that could/should be there and some that could/should be out of reach (Bridgewater/Nix/Tuitt, etc.)

MB, always fun to join your thread.  I am a big Ole Miss fan and the Vandy Rebs game was a great start for college football opening night!

A few guys you might consider adding to your list Rebs - Jeff Scott - RB and LB (could convert to Safety imo in pros) Denzel Nkemdiche.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

So where do you put johnnie football?

Doesnt look like he will be in college next year

or Iis this just seniors?

thanks

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Early DT ranks:  I think NE will be looking hard for a young DT.  Nix would be awesome, I think he will be gone. Hageman and McCullers might be there.

Louis Nix DT 1 Notre Dame rJr 6'2" 326

Anthony Johnson DT 2 LSU Jr 6'3" 305

Timmy Jernigan DT 3 Florida State Jr 6'2" 298

Will Sutton DT 4 Arizona State rSr 6'0" 292

Ra'Shede Hageman DT 5 Minnesota rSr 6'6" 312

Daniel McCullers DT 6 Tennessee Sr 6'6" 351

Danny Shelton DT 7 Washington Jr 6'1" 317

Deandre Coleman DT 8 California rSr 6'5" 315

DaQuan JonesDT 9 Penn State Sr 6'3" 333

George Uko DT 10 Southern California rJr 6'3" 285

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Wowwww take a look at Ben Malena this guy is great.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

PER GAME WATCH LIST

ALABAMA vs VIRGINIA TECH

ALABAMA

QB AJ McCarron, #10 – Arguably the best pure pocket passer in college; Hot, hot GF

WR Kevin Norwood, #83 – may not be the top, but you’ll hear his name a lot

OT Cyrus Kouandjio, #71 – Arguably the top OT

OG Anthony Steen, #61 – IMO top 5 OG skill, but a bit light at 303

DE Geoffrey Pagan, #8

OLB CJ Mosley, #32

OLB Adrian Hubbard, #42 – Arguably the best OLB in college

ILB Tre Depriest, #33 – Best ILB in college?

SS Vinnie Sunseri, #33 – Best SS in college?

CB Hasean Clinton-Dix, #6 – Will compete for top CB draft pick

VIRGINIA TECH

QB Logan Thomas, #2

OG Brent Benedict, #55

DE James Gayle, #99

ILB Jack Tyler, #58

SS Kyshoen Jarrett, 34

I am watching this game right now. Their at 4:00 before the half. At this point here are my takeaways...

1. Logan Thomas will not be a first rounder. I doubt he will crack the third round.
    2. Two names you will be hearing more about on the VT team. Kyle Fuller, CB and Kyshoen Jarrett, SS. If Fuller plays like he did today, he will shoot up tot he first two rounds. Jarrett too.
    3. Alabama does not look as strong as it was last year. Their D is very good - not excellent. They will benefit from an excellent ST. Their offense has a lot of meshing to do over the next few weeks.
    4. Alabama S Sunseri is very sharp - smart and quick - as demonstrated on his INT. He too made a case for being picked in the first two rounds.
    5. Alabama LT C Kouandjio will probably need to stay one year in college after this year. He looks bad against speed rushing.

Sections
Shortcuts