***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

I'm just putting my placeholder on a short-list, one of whom I think will be the Pats first pick in the 2014 draft: DT - McCullers  Tenn  SS - Williams Fl St.    SS - Lawson  LSU   TE - Lyerla OR   TE - Ebron NC   TE - Freidowietz Iowa   CB - Olomu  OR   CB - Roberson FL  OG - Richardson Baylor  OG - Jackson  Miss St  LB -  Noy BYU  LB -  Hubbard Ala  ILB - Johnson TN  ILB - Skov Stanford 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Manzel has a real nice line, I bet that helps a lot.  

As far as next years pts drafting hope we draft DL or OLB. Pick up DB's in FA   Maybe actually pay a good one. We should look at OT. I'm worried vollmer's durability and if Solder gets knicked who steps in for him?  

Wb MB 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Incognitacious' comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

PER GAME WATCH LIST

ALABAMA vs VIRGINIA TECH

ALABAMA

QB AJ McCarron, #10 – Arguably the best pure pocket passer in college; Hot, hot GF

WR Kevin Norwood, #83 – may not be the top, but you’ll hear his name a lot

OT Cyrus Kouandjio, #71 – Arguably the top OT

OG Anthony Steen, #61 – IMO top 5 OG skill, but a bit light at 303

DE Geoffrey Pagan, #8

OLB CJ Mosley, #32

OLB Adrian Hubbard, #42 – Arguably the best OLB in college

ILB Tre Depriest, #33 – Best ILB in college?

SS Vinnie Sunseri, #33 – Best SS in college?

CB Hasean Clinton-Dix, #6 – Will compete for top CB draft pick

VIRGINIA TECH

QB Logan Thomas, #2

OG Brent Benedict, #55

DE James Gayle, #99

ILB Jack Tyler, #58

SS Kyshoen Jarrett, 34

I am watching this game right now. Their at 4:00 before the half. At this point here are my takeaways...

1. Logan Thomas will not be a first rounder. I doubt he will crack the third round.
    2. Two names you will be hearing more about on the VT team. Kyle Fuller, CB and Kyshoen Jarrett, SS. If Fuller plays like he did today, he will shoot up tot he first two rounds. Jarrett too.
    3. Alabama does not look as strong as it was last year. Their D is very good - not excellent. They will benefit from an excellent ST. Their offense has a lot of meshing to do over the next few weeks.
    4. Alabama S Sunseri is very sharp - smart and quick - as demonstrated on his INT. He too made a case for being picked in the first two rounds.
    5. Alabama LT C Kouandjio will probably need to stay one year in college after this year. He looks bad against speed rushing.

[/QUOTE]

Does Kouandjio look likes he needs to lose weight, or just move better?

[/QUOTE]

Hard to tell.

He did not look fat. And I have a bias for heavier, tough and powerful OTs (Walter Jones?), so I actually like how Kouandjio's built, and thinks he could gain a few more pounds. I am tempted to say that Kouandjio's just not that athletic. But, how do I tell if his weight is keeping him from moving well? That's difficult right now.

Caveat for you: I really have a hard time projecting OTs in college. I actually thought Jones was overrated coming out of college but he turned out great. I am a student of the game who's now probably better at looking at kids, than I was >10 years ago. Still not an expert.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

GAME RECAP, WK 1: GEORGIA AT CLEMSON

1. Clemson QB Boyd continues to look like the real deal, showing signs of being the college version of Russell Wilson. Makes every type of throw - long, short, timing, on-the run. Very good composure even at the verge of being sacked. Shifty and fast with his legs, can make plays on his own. Definitely a QB to watch the rest of teh year.
    2. Clemson coach and offensive coordinator will get looks from NFL FOs.
    3. A lot of players on the Clemson squad, especially on D, with good mental toughness. More importantly, situational presence of mind. I counted more than five different individuals making heads up plays - making something postive out of something negative. even though, many aare undersized for the NFL, they deserve to be watched.
    4. Clem WR Sammy Watkins was good at getting separation but showed a bit of butterfingers - one on a dropped pass, then muffed a punt he clearly had in his hands.
    5. Georgia QB Murray is a very good passer, but has not shown escapability.
    6. Georgia RB Gurley is a stud. A SO, but worth mentioning here as he will be one of the top RBs in the 2015 draft.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to SilverSun's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

Hey MB good to have you and this thread  back! Just one question please; are the folks on your list only players you think will be available wehn the Pats pick (#32 hopefully) of they all top prospects? Just curious becaseu I didnt see Johnny Football on there (unless I missed him). Either way I would take Johnny and the TE who spoke about Sandy Hook off my draft board! Stay well!

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

Welcome back, Quag!

It's mostly players that could/should be there and some that could/should be out of reach (Bridgewater/Nix/Tuitt, etc.)

MB, always fun to join your thread.  I am a big Ole Miss fan and the Vandy Rebs game was a great start for college football opening night!

A few guys you might consider adding to your list Rebs - Jeff Scott - RB and LB (could convert to Safety imo in pros) Denzel Nkemdiche.

Thanks for the feedback... Nkemdiche would have to move to S as he's currently listed at 207... I'll give him a closer look, check out his diagnostic, movement and coverage abilities.

Scott had a big night, looks like that scat back type kid that usually becomes popular on this thread.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Sometimes, I find myself in a place where the TV is set on a game I was not planning to watch. Those times I like knowing which kids to watch, so I made up my list per team, starting with the PAC 12.

I am sharing it here in case others are interested.

PAC-12

ARIZONA

WR Austin Hill, #29

RB Kadeem Carey, #25

FS Jared Trevis, #38

ARIZONA STATE

TE Chris Coyle, #87 – Very talented albeit undersized

DE Will Sutton, #90 – Competing to be the second or third DE picked

FS Alden Darby, #4 

CALIFORNIA

DT DeAndre Coleman, #91 – Could make case for draft’s top 4 DTs

DT Viliami Moala, #55 – More than decent skills, 338 lbs

TE Richard Rodgers, #11 

COLORADO

WR Paul Richardson, #6 

OREGON

QB Marcus Mariota, #8 – If he progresses, could compete for top QB of draft

WR Josh Huff, #1

RB De’Anthony Thomas, #6 – 5’9”, but there may not be a RB more explosive; catches like a WR

TE Colt Lyeria, #15 – among the best pass catching TEs in college

C Hroniss Grassu, #55 – skilled C but undersized for my taste

CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, #14 – in the discussion for best CB of draft 

OREGON STATE

DE Scott Chricton, #95 – Top 5 DE among juniors 

STANFORD

QB Kevin Hogan, #8

OT David Yankey, #54

FS Ed Reynolds, #29 – in the discussion for best FS of draft

SS Jordan Richards, #8

ILB Shane Skov, #11– was on watch lists for last year’s draft

DE Henry Anderson, #91

DE Ben Gardner, #49

OLB Trent Murphy, #93 – Ranked T53 in SBNation’s big board

CB Wayne Lyons, #2

UCLA

OG Xavier Sua-Filo, #56 – among best in skill but only 295 lbs

QB Brett Hundley, #17

OLB Anthony Barr, #11 – in discussion for best OLB of draft 

USC

WR Marquis Lee, #9 – widely regard as top WR coming into season

RB Silas Redd, #25 – among top RBs in college

TE Xavier Grimble, #86

TE Randall Telfer, #82

OT Aundrey Walker, #70

OG Marcus Martin, #66

UTAH

QB Travis Wilson, #7 – a QB in a TE body

SS Brian Blechen, #4

WASHINGTON

TE Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, #88 – current #1 TE in college

WASHINGTON STATE

SS Deone Bucannon, #20

SP,

Thanks for posting all of these per team breakdowns.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seawolfxs's comment:

So where do you put johnnie football?

Doesnt look like he will be in college next year

or Iis this just seniors?

thanks

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

I purposely left Manziel off the list because I think he's a punk and a knucklehead and I think teams should think twice about making him the face of their franchise.  I don't doubt the kids ability on the field talent wise, but he continues to make questionable decisions both on and off the field.

The list contains both seniors and underclassmen (players with an asterisk next to their name).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Sometimes I find it absolutely best to NOT know who you are looking at, unless it is offensive lineman and simply see who "honeslty" catches your eye and then looking up who that is.

Otherwise you are just leading the witness.

If I go back later, and see that there was x,y,z named player in said game and none of them got my attention I think that speaks louder than me specifically focusing on them during the game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Sometimes I find it absolutely best to NOT know who you are looking at, unless it is offensive lineman and simply see who "honeslty" catches your eye and then looking up who that is.

If I go back later, and see that there was x,y,z named player in said game and none of them got my attention I think that speaks louder than me specifically focusing on them during the game.

I think a little bit of both is good... in one aspect, you wanna see if a player is as advertised, yet it's always fun to discover a relatively unknown kid that just pops off the screen (i.e. Brooks Reed who jumped of the tape due to his motor, while I was researching his teammate Ricky Elmore).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

[QUOTE]

I think a little bit of both is good... in one aspect, you wanna see if a player is as advertised, yet it's always fun to discover a relatively unknown kid that just pops off the screen (i.e. Brooks Reed who jumped of the tape due to his motor, while I was researching his teammate Ricky Elmore).

[/QUOTE]

Yes that was my point MB, both. I often will try and go back after the fact if someone that is suppose to be good did not catch my eye and specifically look for him later.

Welcome back by the way. Hope you enjoyed the summer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

To tell you honestly, I seldom look at other people's list. Earlier in the season, I just watch and try to come up with my own list, that I eventually compare with MB's and others'. So, I fully appreciate what you are saying. There is definitely a fun factor in discovering someone that other people/sites have not been mentioning or before seeing who other people are mentioning. 

In fact this weekend, my discovery was Kyle Fuller. I don't know if he will be able to sustain his performance. There have been years when I spotted someone early in the season, only to fizzle out later. I remember seeing K Short early in the season last year and was pretty sure he would be among the top picks. He fizzled in the middle half of the season, then picked up again towards the end.

Anyhow, it's the first year I am coming up with the per team lists, thinking that there are some here who may want a guide when watching random games. Reading it is always optional of course.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Week 1 of the college season is in the books and while NE has yet to play a game, the team still has at least one glaring weakness and that is the S position, IMO... particularly a physical presence.

With that said, there is a kid that caught my attention last season while watching tape of Eric Reid and that's LSU S Craig Loston (6-2 209)This kid flies around the field, making his presence felt, hammering ballcarriers to the ground... he's a good size/kid with very good anticipation and instincts and plays extremely fast downhill.  He can come in a little to hot at times, ducking his head or lunging, which can cause some missed tackles, but for the most part he's a secure tackler that will make other players think twice about roaming his area of the field.  He's an experienced kid (5th year senior, turns 24 in December) that has experience at FS/SS and in slot coverage, he also plays ST, giving BB the versatility that he covets.

There's a ton more tape to watch and a ton of kids to research, but this kid sticks out to me at this point as a potential Rd 1 or 2 option.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Hey Mb, Good to see you and the thread back here! I look forward to reading everyones thoughts this year

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

Hey Mb, Good to see you and the thread back here! I look forward to reading everyones thoughts this year

Welcome back, HC!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

I'm just putting my placeholder on a short-list, one of whom I think will be the Pats first pick in the 2014 draft: DT - McCullers  Tenn  SS - Williams Fl St.    SS - Lawson  LSU   TE - Lyerla OR   TE - Ebron NC   TE - Freidowietz Iowa   CB - Olomu  OR   CB - Roberson FL  OG - Richardson Baylor  OG - Jackson  Miss St  LB -  Noy BYU  LB -  Hubbard Ala  ILB - Johnson TN  ILB - Skov Stanford 

Looks like FSU S Karlos Williams has been moved to RB:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/05/florida-state-db-switches-to-rb/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I can't wait for Sunday. But, just looking at this team and seeing the Bronco's last night got me thinking. With our current post 53man cut roster what do we look like: 

1) I don't think Talib will be back. If Talib has a good-great season we aren't getting him for a deal that will make BB happy. That leaves us with Dennard, Arrington, and Ryan. Even if Ryan turns out to be a good drafting it looks like for how many years in a row? we will be drafting another CB in the first 2 days

2) Harmon looks like he might eventually develop into a Sanders type of player. He's very heady but I question whether his athletic ability will hinder his ability to be a starter overall. For now I see his ceiling as a super sub like a Gregory or Sanders. As such I have zero faith either Wilson will give much over the next couple years and will be once again looking at SS as a possible pick in the first 2 days.

3) Even though DE looks fairly strong right now with at least 3 I can see as a core forming longish term and only needing to add good depth DT is still a major concern. 2 UDFA DTs behind two aging vets of which Kelly might be another 1-2 year bandaid (think G. Warren) it's a huge area of concern for me. I thought they should have taken one in a very deep draft this year and didn't so of course in a very weak DT draft this year they will

4) WR looks nice with the rooks but Edelman is a question mark moving forward and Amendola still has to prove he can last a season, not to mention of the 3 rooks it's hard to picture all 3 developing into productive receivers. The odds are against them. Now I do think Sims has potential but so did Nunn. WR is a position I'd like to keep an eye on

5) LG is a spot where I'd be looking mid to late rounds to eventually replace Mankins as he gets older. And of course G is always a position to add swing players for depth in the later rounds

6) TE is an area I'm going to keep an eye on depending on Sudfeld, but I think they love to keep 3-4 TE's on the roster at bare minimum and currently a mid round TE to develop looks like a good option.

7) Depending on what they are looking to do with Mallett another QB is always on the radar but a UDFA to develop over 3-4 years with Brady seems more likely than one in the first 2 days

All in all I'm not sure I'd be looking at RB, T, C (unless they are a swing player), LB, or FS but it is BB after all. My focus is squarely on the D this next year as the 6 year? rebuild continues with the DB's and some depth/developing starters on the DL early in the draft

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

BTW - I really wanted Ray Ray Armstrong on the team as a UDFA SS and now that ST Louis has converted him to a LB I wonder if BB couldn't have done the same. There is the hard hitting SS that A. Wilson could have been with some coverage ability. Sigh, what a missed chance

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I can't wait for Sunday. But, just looking at this team and seeing the Bronco's last night got me thinking. With our current post 53man cut roster what do we look like: 

1) I don't think Talib will be back. If Talib has a good-great season we aren't getting him for a deal that will make BB happy. That leaves us with Dennard, Arrington, and Ryan. Even if Ryan turns out to be a good drafting it looks like for how many years in a row? we will be drafting another CB in the first 2 days

2) Harmon looks like he might eventually develop into a Sanders type of player. He's very heady but I question whether his athletic ability will hinder his ability to be a starter overall. For now I see his ceiling as a super sub like a Gregory or Sanders. As such I have zero faith either Wilson will give much over the next couple years and will be once again looking at SS as a possible pick in the first 2 days.

3) Even though DE looks fairly strong right now with at least 3 I can see as a core forming longish term and only needing to add good depth DT is still a major concern. 2 UDFA DTs behind two aging vets of which Kelly might be another 1-2 year bandaid (think G. Warren) it's a huge area of concern for me. I thought they should have taken one in a very deep draft this year and didn't so of course in a very weak DT draft this year they will

4) WR looks nice with the rooks but Edelman is a question mark moving forward and Amendola still has to prove he can last a season, not to mention of the 3 rooks it's hard to picture all 3 developing into productive receivers. The odds are against them. Now I do think Sims has potential but so did Nunn. WR is a position I'd like to keep an eye on

5) LG is a spot where I'd be looking mid to late rounds to eventually replace Mankins as he gets older. And of course G is always a position to add swing players for depth in the later rounds

6) TE is an area I'm going to keep an eye on depending on Sudfeld, but I think they love to keep 3-4 TE's on the roster at bare minimum and currently a mid round TE to develop looks like a good option.

7) Depending on what they are looking to do with Mallett another QB is always on the radar but a UDFA to develop over 3-4 years with Brady seems more likely than one in the first 2 days

All in all I'm not sure I'd be looking at RB, T, C (unless they are a swing player), LB, or FS but it is BB after all. My focus is squarely on the D this next year as the 6 year? rebuild continues with the DB's and some depth/developing starters on the DL early in the draft

Good post, PE... I agree with you on almost everything... particularly the continued need to upgrade the secondary both at SS (Really like Craig Loston, Antone Exum, Ed Reynolds and HHCD) and CB (Good projected depth/talent (Roby, etc.) in this class as well) and the huge need to upgrade the overall talent/depth at DT.  I also think WR and TE (Arthur Lynch/CJ, etc.) could be areas of focus... particularly TE with it's relative lack of roster depth.

The only thing I really disagree with at this point is at QB.  Now I don't think they have to take one on Day 1 or 2, but I think it comes down to value/who's available, etc.  If a Tajh Boyd or Mariota or McCarron or another QB is there and you think he projects as TB's replacement (over Mallett) then I think he's at least in the discussion.  Personally, I don't see Mallet as the long term replacement as I haven't really seen a ton of progression in his game... still has the huge arm, but his delivery/release/reads appear to be slow and he's not /hasn't been accurate... just an overall lack of consistency, though some of that could be chalked up to PT.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

WK1 GAME RECAP

LSU vs TCU

I was watching TCU more than LSU. LSU gets more coverage so I know I will have opportunity to catch them later in the season, which probably is better because they will have gelled by then. Other than Mettenberger, I was watching the TCU secondary.

• Mettenberger IMO improved a lot from last year. He still has not shown an ability to take over a game, but I think he could develop into a very good manager. He’s best pass was thrown towards the end of the game (3:45 to go in the fourth). He threw a long bullet to the back shoulder of his receiver running along the left sideline. TCU’s White did an excellent job covering the receiver, but Mettenberger’s throw was so perfect and the receiver’s anticipation and hands were so good that it did not matter how good White’s coverage was.
    • Loston is definitely a S to watch. I did not watch him much, but did notice the 4Q play where he and his CB foiled a good first down throw by Boykin.

On the TCU side, I was trying to watch Verrett, but ended up noticing a couple of other kids in the TCU secondary.

• Kevin White, #25, I thought was really good. Definitely someone to continue watching. At 5-10, he’s just an inch shorter than Revis. The big question is if he can gain 20 lbs and still be as quick. He’s only 175 lbs.
    • A So S also caught my eye. Chris Hackett, #1, I thought showed a lot of range and tenacity. He also has a very nice height for a S (6’2”).
    • Pachall showed rust – both in terms of his ball speed and his recognition of situations. He did not look impressive.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

WK1 GAME RECAP

FLORDIA STATE vs PITTSBURGH

FSU is loaded with talent – not necessarily top 10 pick talent in the 2014 draft, but a handful of kids who could go from #10 through #72

• OL is solid. It’s hard to tell who is best, but both guards – Carter (#65) and Matias (#70) – and the LT Erving (#75) made it easy for freshman QB Winston to play an exceptional game vs Pitt. Both Erving and Matias are 6’6”, 320 lbs – definitely NFL-sized kids.
    • I missed Jackson, another OG on FSU who is supposed to be very good.
    • FSU RB Wilder (6’2”, 230 lbs) has a very good combination of power, burst and vision. Could be a top 5 RB in the 2013 draft (he’s a junior)
    • Kevin Benjamin – under-the-radar 6’5”, 230 lb WR. Looks good when his QB threw to him. Strong on contested balls and gets decent separation
    • I did not watch the D a lot.

Pittsburgh did not have the kind of talent FSU had on the field

• WR Devin Street – another 6’5” 230 lb guy. Pretty much was the only weapon that the Pitt QB had to work with. He was covered well, but still managed to pull down a couple of good passes; Will continue to be on the watch list.
    • QB Tom Savage – Played decent ball considering the talent mismatch with FSU. Good arm and smart. Likely to be more of a game manager if he played in the NFL.

Last comment

Not relevant for 2014 draft: FSU QB Winston will be in the discussion for 2015 #1 overall pick and the 2013-14 Heisman. A rFr, he made quarterbacking look really easy vs. Pitt. Finished the first half with a 17/18 completion rate. My only criticism of him is he sometimes throws on his back foot. On the other hand, even when throwing on his back foot, he throws long and accurate. The kid is 6’4”, 230 lbs, scrambles when needed and can throw well on the run.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

WK 2 GAME RECAP

FLORIDA AT MIAMI

I thought this was a pretty boring game for spotting potential NFL talent. Yet I was able to endure 3 Qs.

Kids Who Shined:

• FLA DE Dominique Easley (#2) was a regular in MIA’s offensive backfield. Easley showed ability to shed blocks and bull rush, getting close to the MIA QB. Drew two back to back holding calls in the 2nd qtr. He keeps up his work and he will be a top 4 pass rusher.

Did not impress but showed enough to warrant watching in subsequent games

• MIA LB Denzel Perryman (#52): Strong and quick versus the run. I am mixed about his pass coverage ability. He made a good read in the third quarter to stop the receiver short of the marker on third down. However, also showed he can be beaten.
    • FLA CB Roberson (#5): Showed signs he can go head-to-head races against wide outs, was in jured in the third
    • FLA CB Purifoy (#15): Made a few plays but most remarkable was his play against the run near the box. Missed a tackle on a WR down the right sideline. Has a reputation to be a good tackler though.

Disappointment

• FLA QB Driskell: His strong suit is ability to throw the ball at the moment of being hit. I am not sure if he was lucky he did not get picked, or he just has a knack for it. Bottomline is I thought that was risky. I saw more bad throws from him than I am comfortable with. Over threw a few times – over his open receiver or too hot. He played better in the second half.
    • FLA RB Matt Jones: A big back who I was hoping would show a lot of power and speed. I did not see anything to indicate he can be better than Maroney. Jones did not dance as much, but Maroney was who I was reminded of as I was watching Jones.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Watching the 4th Q of FLA vs MIA

Maybe I'll change my mind about Driskell. He's a tough kid. He's taken a lot of hits. He's still up and unfazed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

BC fan (hoping this is the year they become relevant again):

I saw you had Devitto (LB) on your list.    How about Kevin Pierre-Louis (LB) as a rising Day 2 pick?  He probably needs to add 10 pounds or so, but he looks like a player.  Will know more after the game at USC next week.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

UM handling ND DL, like to see ND come back.

Sections
Shortcuts