Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***
posted at 9/6/2013 11:07 AM EDT
In response to PatsEng's comment:
I can't wait for Sunday. But, just looking at this team and seeing the Bronco's last night got me thinking. With our current post 53man cut roster what do we look like:
1) I don't think Talib will be back. If Talib has a good-great season we aren't getting him for a deal that will make BB happy. That leaves us with Dennard, Arrington, and Ryan. Even if Ryan turns out to be a good drafting it looks like for how many years in a row? we will be drafting another CB in the first 2 days
2) Harmon looks like he might eventually develop into a Sanders type of player. He's very heady but I question whether his athletic ability will hinder his ability to be a starter overall. For now I see his ceiling as a super sub like a Gregory or Sanders. As such I have zero faith either Wilson will give much over the next couple years and will be once again looking at SS as a possible pick in the first 2 days.
3) Even though DE looks fairly strong right now with at least 3 I can see as a core forming longish term and only needing to add good depth DT is still a major concern. 2 UDFA DTs behind two aging vets of which Kelly might be another 1-2 year bandaid (think G. Warren) it's a huge area of concern for me. I thought they should have taken one in a very deep draft this year and didn't so of course in a very weak DT draft this year they will
4) WR looks nice with the rooks but Edelman is a question mark moving forward and Amendola still has to prove he can last a season, not to mention of the 3 rooks it's hard to picture all 3 developing into productive receivers. The odds are against them. Now I do think Sims has potential but so did Nunn. WR is a position I'd like to keep an eye on
5) LG is a spot where I'd be looking mid to late rounds to eventually replace Mankins as he gets older. And of course G is always a position to add swing players for depth in the later rounds
6) TE is an area I'm going to keep an eye on depending on Sudfeld, but I think they love to keep 3-4 TE's on the roster at bare minimum and currently a mid round TE to develop looks like a good option.
7) Depending on what they are looking to do with Mallett another QB is always on the radar but a UDFA to develop over 3-4 years with Brady seems more likely than one in the first 2 days
All in all I'm not sure I'd be looking at RB, T, C (unless they are a swing player), LB, or FS but it is BB after all. My focus is squarely on the D this next year as the 6 year? rebuild continues with the DB's and some depth/developing starters on the DL early in the draft
I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus
Good post, PE... I agree with you on almost everything... particularly the continued need to upgrade the secondary both at SS (Really like Craig Loston, Antone Exum, Ed Reynolds and HHCD) and CB (Good projected depth/talent (Roby, etc.) in this class as well) and the huge need to upgrade the overall talent/depth at DT. I also think WR and TE (Arthur Lynch/CJ, etc.) could be areas of focus... particularly TE with it's relative lack of roster depth.
The only thing I really disagree with at this point is at QB. Now I don't think they have to take one on Day 1 or 2, but I think it comes down to value/who's available, etc. If a Tajh Boyd or Mariota or McCarron or another QB is there and you think he projects as TB's replacement (over Mallett) then I think he's at least in the discussion. Personally, I don't see Mallet as the long term replacement as I haven't really seen a ton of progression in his game... still has the huge arm, but his delivery/release/reads appear to be slow and he's not /hasn't been accurate... just an overall lack of consistency, though some of that could be chalked up to PT.