***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

WOW! Oklahoma made Alabama look sluggish.

C Kouandjio still struggles vs speed rushers -- an observation I wrote about on page 2, right after their week 1 game.

I liked Oklahoma's CB Colvin (roughly rd 3), and WR Bester (big, can be explosive and a great blocker). Bester is not in anybody's radar right now. Could be available as a FA.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Sorry i haven't been posting as much as usual as I was suspended from BDC for 90 days! however it is my opinion that depending on how the first round plays out that the Patriots are definately going to take a LB or TE first. I love Skov but I also think that the need at TE is more important to fill so with that said I'm all in on Serefin-Jenkins provided noone select him before the Patriots selection, my second choice is O'Leary, he catches everything when called upon.

90 days?  How did you get suspended for 90 days?  With the elementary school pissing contest that roams from thread to thread turning this board in a dumpster fire, how did you get suspended for 90 days? ha.... welcome back!

I agree that O'Leary is an underrated kid and you don't often see an offensive player without taped wrists, fingers and/or gloves... kid is old school in that capacity.   We'll see if he declares.

I have no idea which moron did the little girl tattle tale thing but whoever it was cried loud and often... I just watched the Bama vs, Sooners game and the redshirt freshman was on fire, I would have put Moseley in as the LB we need, but he isn't going to still there at the end of round one. The way I kept up with you guys was through TB12 and I could read all the updates, but I wouldn't get the same out of reading without answering with my own thoughts. Yeah I hope O'Leary declares it opens the door for one of the better TE's falling into New Englands projected end of the draft position.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

C Kouandjio still struggles vs speed rushers -- an observation I wrote about on page 2, right after their week 1 game.

I liked Oklahoma's CB Colvin (roughly rd 3), and WR Bester (big, can be explosive and a great blocker). Bester is not in anybody's radar right now. Could be available as a FA.

And I enjoyed every minute of it!  Well, at least before I fell asleep at halftime, haha.

Striker definitely gave Kouandjio trouble, lining up in that wide nine alignment.

I generaly view Oklahoma prospects like I do SC's... generally overrated, which is why I haven't put a lot of time and effort into Colvin... but I'll have to give him a look to be fair.  Will also check out Bester.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Sorry i haven't been posting as much as usual as I was suspended from BDC for 90 days! however it is my opinion that depending on how the first round plays out that the Patriots are definately going to take a LB or TE first. I love Skov but I also think that the need at TE is more important to fill so with that said I'm all in on Serefin-Jenkins provided noone select him before the Patriots selection, my second choice is O'Leary, he catches everything when called upon.

90 days?  How did you get suspended for 90 days?  With the elementary school pissing contest that roams from thread to thread turning this board in a dumpster fire, how did you get suspended for 90 days? ha.... welcome back!

I agree that O'Leary is an underrated kid and you don't often see an offensive player without taped wrists, fingers and/or gloves... kid is old school in that capacity.   We'll see if he declares.

I have no idea which moron did the little girl tattle tale thing but whoever it was cried loud and often... I just watched the Bama vs, Sooners game and the redshirt freshman was on fire, I would have put Moseley in as the LB we need, but he isn't going to still there at the end of round one. The way I kept up with you guys was through TB12 and I could read all the updates, but I wouldn't get the same out of reading without answering with my own thoughts. Yeah I hope O'Leary declares it opens the door for one of the better TE's falling into New Englands projected end of the draft position.

Ridiculous.

In regards to athletic ILB's... check out FSU's Telvin Smith and Uconn's Yawin Smallwood... couple of seldom talked about names that can really play and should come off the board at some point on Day 2... also check out Wisconsins Chris Borland... he's short (maybe 6 feet tall), but is 245+ pounds and is underrated in space... he's another kid that will prob be selected late Day 2, early Day 3.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

You really like Telvin Smith huh MB. I can see why too. Sorry I haven't been around as much as past years but works kept me pretty busy and haven't been able to catch up on many games. Hopefully things will lighten up a bit and I can get caught up. But, now that the bowls are done I've started pulling together my personal top 3 picks for each round so I'll post it soon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Many would've loved to have seen BB pull the trigger on Tyrann Mathieu in last years class... kid had plenty of off the field questions, but was a versatile playmaker on it.

The 2014 class presents another opportunity to target an undersized DB that does nothing but produce on the field, but his time the kid doesn't come with the off the field baggage.

FSU S/CB LaMarcus Joyner (5-8 190) could be one of the sleepers of this class.  Sure his size is a question, but all this kid does is make plays... take 2013 for example  64 tackles (2nd on the team), 43 of which were solo... 4 PBU, 2 INT, 3 FF, 3 QB hurries, 6.5 TFL and a team high 5 sacks!  He's also a  kid with extensive experience in FSU's secondary with time at both CB and S, is utilized frequently in blitz packages, demonstrates very good communication skills as the leader of the secondary and will play on most ST... including some return ability.

I'm really hopping that BB/NC give this kid a serious look in Rd 2 or Day 2.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

You really like Telvin Smith huh MB. I can see why too. Sorry I haven't been around as much as past years but works kept me pretty busy and haven't been able to catch up on many games. Hopefully things will lighten up a bit and I can get caught up. But, now that the bowls are done I've started pulling together my personal top 3 picks for each round so I'll post it soon.

Haha, what gave you that idea? ;)

Kid can do so many things on the football field and I truly believe that his rare size/speed/skill set will allow him to be utilized as a weapon at the NFL level.

Look forward to reading your picks... I've been tweaking mine as well!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Many would've loved to have seen BB pull the trigger on Tyrann Mathieu in last years class... kid had plenty of off the field questions, but was a versatile playmaker on it.

The 2014 class presents another opportunity to target an undersized DB that does nothing but produce on the field, but his time the kid doesn't come with the off the field baggage.

FSU S/CB LaMarcus Joyner (5-8 190) could be one of the sleepers of this class.  Sure his size is a question, but all this kid does is make plays... take 2013 for example  64 tackles (2nd on the team), 43 of which were solo... 4 PBU, 2 INT, 3 FF, 3 QB hurries, 6.5 TFL and a team high 5 sacks!  He's also a  kid with extensive experience in FSU's secondary with time at both CB and S, is utilized frequently in blitz packages, demonstrates very good communication skills as the leader of the secondary and will play on most ST... including some return ability.

I saw Joyner, I was one of those guys who loved Mathieu's ability and was hoping he fell to the 3rd but didn't. Joyner is most definately interesting but not sure about him. Joyner has great instincts but he sometimes can't overcome that size. However, Mathieu seemed to play well above his size. It seemed like he transcended natural instincts and size at times. Still Joyner is well worth keeping an eye out for. 

Also look at Quandre Diggs from Texas MB. A little bigger and much faster. Started off slow but has natural ability and generally teams tend to avoid him. Could be intersting outside guy to cover speedier WRs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I saw Joyner, I was one of those guys who loved Mathieu's ability and was hoping he fell to the 3rd but didn't. Joyner is most definately interesting but not sure about him. Joyner has great instincts but he sometimes can't overcome that size. However, Mathieu seemed to play well above his size. It seemed like he transcended natural instincts and size at times. Still Joyner is well worth keeping an eye out for. 

Also look at Quandre Diggs from Texas MB. A little bigger and much faster. Started off slow but has natural ability and generally teams tend to avoid him. Could be intersting outside guy to cover speedier WRs.

You def were one of the most vocal about Mathieu.  He actually did make it to Rd 3, but with pick 69 overall, so essentially a Rd 2 pick.

I'll give Diggs a look, thanks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

After my god awful prediction last night saying Bama would win easy, I've decided not to make a prediction for the ORange Bowl.

but I will be watching the many possible picks coming out:

Tajh Boyd, Sammy Watkins, Martatvis Bryant, Vic Beasley, Braxton Miller, Carlos Hyde, Jake Mewhort, Bradley Roby, & Ryan Shazier..

Shazier intrigues me alot. Like MB has pointed out maybe getting a Telvin Smth, Shazier type player to be the hybrid guy that BB might like.

Watkins is just an absolute beast and I love him he is lightining fast.. He actually is from the town i live in now which is pretty cool too.

Martivus Bryant is someone to watch for me. Maybe the Pats use a late round selection on a tall lengthy WR in Bryant (6'4 200)? i like his leaping ability.

Bradley Roby is another name to watch tonight. Preseason this guy was projected to go in the top 15 and now is an afterthought at corner after a bad seaosn. maybe he can step hi level up to 2012 play in front of the nation?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

After my god awful prediction last night saying Bama would win easy, I've decided not to make a prediction for the ORange Bowl.

but I will be watching the many possible picks coming out:

Tajh Boyd, Sammy Watkins, Martatvis Bryant, Vic Beasley, Braxton Miller, Carlos Hyde, Jake Mewhort, Bradley Roby, & Ryan Shazier..

Shazier intrigues me alot. Like MB has pointed out maybe getting a Telvin Smth, Shazier type player to be the hybrid guy that BB might like.

Watkins is just an absolute beast and I love him he is lightining fast.. He actually is from the town i live in now which is pretty cool too.

Martivus Bryant is someone to watch for me. Maybe the Pats use a late round selection on a tall lengthy WR in Bryant (6'4 200)? i like his leaping ability.

Bradley Roby is another name to watch tonight. Preseason this guy was projected to go in the top 15 and now is an afterthought at corner after a bad seaosn. maybe he can step hi level up to 2012 play in front of the nation?

Haha, same here, I was way off, but loved the results.  I'd also bet that the consumption of moonshine and instances of incest laced spousal abuse spiked last night, haha.  ROLL... GO PHYCK YOURSELF! hahahahahahaha

On a serious note, OSU WR Pitt Brown is another late round WR to keep an eye on... kid can really run.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Haha, same here, I was way off, but loved the results.  I'd also bet that the consumption of moonshine and instances of incest laced spousal abuse spiked last night, haha.  ROLL... GO PHYCK YOURSELF! hahahahahahaha

On a serious note, OSU WR Pitt Brown is another late round WR to keep an eye on... kid can really run.

same, great game and surprising result!

i knew i left someone out on OSU's O! good call. gonna be a good game, no defense at all though haha

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

And I enjoyed every minute of it!  Well, at least before I fell asleep at halftime, haha.

Striker definitely gave Kouandjio trouble, lining up in that wide nine alignment.

I generaly view Oklahoma prospects like I do SC's... generally overrated, which is why I haven't put a lot of time and effort into Colvin... but I'll have to give him a look to be fair.  Will also check out Bester.

Given Oklahoma has been that relevant in recent years, I actually think the kids there are overlooked.

IMO nowadays, overrated applies to Alabama players, especially their D. I think what happens is that Alabama is consistently big in strong in all positions that collectively, they just overpower every other team (until some team's speed takes away the power advantage). When you take each player out of that collective and put him in a team that is not overwhelmingly dominant, they become ordinary. How many kids from Alabama's D have been picked in the recent years, only to do so little in the NFL?

As for Bester, I don't believe he even appears on anybody's big board, even the deepest ones I've seen. What I saw in him was a very talented 6-3 wide receiver, who works as hard blocking as trying to get open to catch balls. To me that screams team player - someone that I think BB loves.

Colvin was not really tested last night. McCarron was obviously throwing away from him, which by itself says a lot. The play that impressed me most was that one play where McCarron threw to his receiver on the left sideline, the receiver evaded a couple of tacklers and looked like he had a clear path to the end zone. Then out of nowhere, Colvin appears from the right side of the screen, flying diagonally across the field, and catching up with the receiver. The speed was impressive (I am guessing he will run a sub-4.45 with a crazy 10 split), but even moreso, was the determination not to yield a sure TD. That shows toughness that will equate to more wins in battles against WRs.

I have a technique question for you guys, especially the more technically inclined.

I have been too busy to watch much of the Seattle games, but on the couple of quarters across different games, I noticed something different about their DBs' technique. When they are one-on-one against that outside receiver, they look back to find the ball earlier than most DBs in other teams do. Basically, they locate the ball early and then they play the ball from that instant.

1) If you have DVRs, could you please check if that observation is valid?

2) If that is actually happening, isn't that how CBs should be playing given the PI rules? When you read the rules carefully, you should not be called for PI if you are purely playing the ball.

3) If that is the right technique, wouldn't speed and size become the most important attributes in a CB. They need to be confident they have the speed to quickly get in position for the ball after they look back to locate the ball. They will also have to be strong to contest the catch.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Given Oklahoma has been that relevant in recent years, I actually think the kids there are overlooked.

IMO nowadays, overrated applies to Alabama players, especially their D. I think what happens is that Alabama is consistently big in strong in all positions that collectively, they just overpower every other team (until some team's speed takes away the power advantage). When you take each player out of that collective and put him in a team that is not overwhelmingly dominant, they become ordinary. How many kids from Alabama's D have been picked in the recent years, only to do so little in the NFL?

As for Bester, I don't believe he even appears on anybody's big board, even the deepest ones I've seen. What I saw in him was a very talented 6-3 wide receiver, who works as hard blocking as trying to get open to catch balls. To me that screams team player - someone that I think BB loves.

Colvin was not really tested last night. McCarron was obviously throwing away from him, which by itself says a lot. The play that impressed me most was that one play where McCarron threw to his receiver on the left sideline, the receiver evaded a couple of tacklers and looked like he had a clear path to the end zone. Then out of nowhere, Colvin appears from the right side of the screen, flying diagonally across the field, and catching up with the receiver. The speed was impressive (I am guessing he will run a sub-4.45 with a crazy 10 split), but even moreso, was the determination not to yield a sure TD. That shows toughness that will equate to more wins in battles against WRs.

Part of the QB's plan to throw away from Colvin is that a skinny redshirt frosh was starting on the other side, though that came back to bite them as that kid made a good play on the ball and housed one towards the end of the 2nd Q!

I know what play you're talking about, believe it was DeAndrew White... Colvin flew in out of no where to land a huge hit on him... the speed and effort displayed was impressive.  Tacklw was huge in that it saved a TD... Bama eventualy kicked a FG.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

What did or do you think the Patriots do at b/u QB next season? Are they going to try and trade Mallett and if so who would you guys target as a replacement? The kid from CFU Bottles reminded me of a young Ben Rothleisberger! McCarron has always impressed me, I don't mention any of the early first round choices for obvious reasons. I also like Lynch from NIU. By the way Joepatsfan11111, I think Sammy Watkins is better than every WR who was drafted last season and every guy coming out this year. Just think who his QB is and you wonder how well he would have done with Bottles or Manziel or even the South Carolina QB Shaw! Taj Boyd doesn't pass nearly as efficiantly nor as accurately.

I know what play you're talking about, believe it was DeAndrew White... Colvin flew in out of no where to land a huge hit on him... the speed and effort displayed was impressive.  Tacklw was huge in that it saved a TD... Bama eventualy kicked a FG.

I accidentally deleted the part of your post where you talked about them throwing away from Colving to target Sanchez. I agree. But Sanchez held up and at some point McCarron was forcing it to his side.

What did or do you think the Patriots do at b/u QB next season? Are they going to try and trade Mallett and if so who would you guys target as a replacement? The kid from CFU Bottles reminded me of a young Ben Rothleisberger! McCarron has always impressed me, I don't mention any of the early first round choices for obvious reasons. I also like Lynch from NIU. By the way Joepatsfan11111, I think Sammy Watkins is better than every WR who was drafted last season and every guy coming out this year. Just think who his QB is and you wonder how well he would have done with Bottles or Manziel or even the South Carolina QB Shaw! Taj Boyd doesn't pass nearly as efficiantly nor as accurately.

I have not seen MB's guy - Wenning - but I've read about him. I just do not comment much on kids I have nots een. But from I have read and from MB's feedback, he could be a late round option. I just do not think it would be smart for NEP to put all their eggs in the Mallett basket for TB's backup or eventual replacement. They need to hedge that a bit.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I think Boyd is a very good passer but you have  point. Sammy's stats would be off the charts if J Football or Jameis was flicking him the ball.

He is a talent for sure.

to answer your first part, if they do trade Mallet they may try and grab McCarron in the third/fourth round maybe.. i would like to see them try and get Keith Price in the sixth or seventh round. he is a leader and a winner and could be groomed to be successful imo..

CBS Sports projects CJ Barnett a FA. The few times I have seen OSU play, I thought of him an excellent pick in 4th round.

Beasley looks good. He just missed a sack on Miller, but he made a sweet move on the LT to make contact with Miller. Two plays later, he came within a foot of making contact with Miller again.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Sorry, I meant "Philly" Brown and not "Pitt" Brown... there's (2) Corey Brown's on OSU's roster, both from PA, Philly is the WR that I was referring to.

I reaaly like Beasley after this game.

If the Pats take an OSU OLman, I may go crazy. I feel bad for Miller.

Watkins is a beast.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

tajh and Braxton both made stupid throws. But Tajh may be a good NFL prospect. 

Sammy is a freaking G. he can't throw though. But he did lower his shoulder on Shazier and drive his azz back. Insane. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kezzamuzza. Show kezzamuzza's posts

MB

TB's successor........from San Jose State........David Fales........mark this down.

Mallett traded for second round.

• Sections
    Shortcuts