***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

MB, could you see Tuitt as being both a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT ? What I am asking is does he have scheme versatility to make him worth a 1st round pick for BB?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

In response to natesubs' comment:

Vet Pats’ backup on the market … While the attention of team’s with early picks and QB needs appears to be on this year’s draft class, there have been passing rumblings that more than one such team may be willing to kick the tires on New England back-up QB Ryan Mallett as a fallback option. In fact, Houston is one team that has factored into that buzz, in part, because new Texans’ had coach Bill O’Brien was offensive co-ordinator and QB-coach with New England during Mallett’s rookie season in 2011. Another team that has been associated with Mallett is Cleveland which has the 4th pick.

www.gbnreport.com

so would you give up our 1st, mallett, and a 2nd for the 4th overall pick? maybe get clowney?

I would take Houston's 2nd rd pick for Mallet and run like hell.  If they really want him they need to pay. If they offered multiple picks and something next year maybe. (Depending on the picks)  However, just like last year when there were rumors in Cleveland that is all this is a rumor.

I don't want Clowney.

Clowney can be a beast but he's a spoiled brat, better the Patriots go after Tuit, as for Mallett the Patriots won't trade him for just a second round pick, it would take additional picks or a player of value and I'm not talking Matt Schaub!!!! The reason why they won't trade him for just a second is self evident, he was a low 3rd round pick so unless the Patriots are desperate they would require payment of at least a 1rst round pick because of years of training.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

I would take Houston's 2nd rd pick for Mallet and run like hell.  If they really want him they need to pay. If they offered multiple picks and something next year maybe. (Depending on the picks)  However, just like last year when there were rumors in Cleveland that is all this is a rumor.

I don't want Clowney.

Clowney can be a beast but he's a spoiled brat, better the Patriots go after Tuit, as for Mallett the Patriots won't trade him for just a second round pick, it would take additional picks or a player of value and I'm not talking Matt Schaub!!!! The reason why they won't trade him for just a second is self evident, he was a low 3rd round pick so unless the Patriots are desperate they would require payment of at least a 1rst round pick because of years of training.

Good points!  If they do trade him, NE will drive a hard bargain for sure.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

MB, could you see Tuitt as being both a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT ? What I am asking is does he have scheme versatility to make him worth a 1st round pick for BB?

ND was a base 43, but mixed in mutiple fronts/looks... Tuitt shouldn't have a problem playing in either scheme/front... definite positional versatility.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

Hey MB,

Just saw that you added Troy Niklas TE to the list of possible first round options. Have to say he is my favorite choice at the TE position. IMO he has the most upside of any TE in this draft. Really good blocker and Gronk Like Athleticism. Has the speed to threaten the seam. Only downside is that he is relatively new to the position. Would be great to have 2 Inline Tight ends who can block great and beat Linebacker/Safety coverage in the pass game.

If we can get him in the second (maybe trade our fourth to move up in the second and grab him) and Trent Murphy in the 1st, I really wouldnt care too much what else we did inthe draft :) Alternatively, take him in the 1st and grab Dominique Easley in the second.

In response to speedster81's comment:

Hey MB,

Just saw that you added Troy Niklas TE to the list of possible first round options. Have to say he is my favorite choice at the TE position. IMO he has the most upside of any TE in this draft. Really good blocker and Gronk Like Athleticism. Has the speed to threaten the seam. Only downside is that he is relatively new to the position. Would be great to have 2 Inline Tight ends who can block great and beat Linebacker/Safety coverage in the pass game.

If we can get him in the second (maybe trade our fourth to move up in the second and grab him) and Trent Murphy in the 1st, I really wouldnt care too much what else we did inthe draft :) Alternatively, take him in the 1st and grab Dominique Easley in the second.

Yep... the thought was that he'd stay in school, but believe he got a favorable grade from the Draft Advisory Committee (at least a Rd 2 grade), so he made the jump.  

I agree that he makes a tone of sense at anypoint in Rd 1 or 2, but believe he'll eventually be a kid that you'll have to take inside the Top 40 or so.  Yeah, landing Murphy and Niklas would be an absolute grand slam!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

What do you think about a flying on Keith McGill, at least not before the 3rd round though.  

In response to Pats7393's comment:

What do you think about a flying on Keith McGill, at least not before the 3rd round though.  

Similar player to Nebraska's Stanley Jean-Baptiste... jumbo CB with good athleticism, but doesn't necessarily play to his size.  I'd have some interest in the middle rounds.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to speedster81's comment:

Hey MB,

Yep... the thought was that he'd stay in school, but believe he got a favorable grade from the Draft Advisory Committee (at least a Rd 2 grade), so he made the jump.  

I agree that he makes a tone of sense at anypoint in Rd 1 or 2, but believe he'll eventually be a kid that you'll have to take inside the Top 40 or so.  Yeah, landing Murphy and Niklas would be an absolute grand slam!

Yeah, it would be quite the haul. I was hot on Van Noy earlier and though I still think he is a great player, I think we have a much greater need at DE than we do at OLB. Chandler Jones and Rob Ninkovich played the most Combined Snaps of any DE duo in the league. Having a quality starter to rotate in much like Cincinatti has would improve the D quite a bit. I also wouldnt mind taking an additional flyer in the fourth on a guy like Morgan Breslin. Can never have too much pass rush :)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Vet Pats’ backup on the market … While the attention of team’s with early picks and QB needs appears to be on this year’s draft class, there have been passing rumblings that more than one such team may be willing to kick the tires on New England back-up QB Ryan Mallett as a fallback option. In fact, Houston is one team that has factored into that buzz, in part, because new Texans’ had coach Bill O’Brien was offensive co-ordinator and QB-coach with New England during Mallett’s rookie season in 2011. Another team that has been associated with Mallett is Cleveland which has the 4th pick.

www.gbnreport.com

so would you give up our 1st, mallett, and a 2nd for the 4th overall pick? maybe get clowney?

I would not.

www.gbnreport.com

I don't want Clowney.

If Houston gives up  their second for Mallet, that would be like getting a late first. If such a deal happens before NEP's first pick, it would almost certainly make trading out of the first very tempting for BB. It's probably going to be for a 2015 first.

Doesn't the cap move next year? If so having an extra first pick in 2015 would give the Pats a lot of options.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from minnypat. Show minnypat's posts

Sorry, but I really hate talk of trading down or for future picks. People have to realize Brady and Belichick are not going to be around forever. And while the Pats have had an extrodinary season, the team has many holes.

On offense we have the worse pass blocking center in the whole NFL. With Gronk gone do we have a tight end who can get open and make a catch. We still lack that sideline deep threat that Dobson was supposed to give us.

On defense Gregory is clearly a liability. Drafting Tavon Wilson and Duron Harmon looks like a wash. Our starting DT's should be third team back ups. And we have no depth at DE.

Screw trading down and for future picks. We need players now. If you are going to trade Mallett get some picks that can be packaged to move up or keep picks and take best value.

I still say if you added Ridley to Mallett both Cleveland and Houston would give up their seconds. RB is one area in free agency that has some players.

What about using a late round pick on Kenny Guyton, the Ohio State backup QB? the kid has size and is an exceptional athlete.  Try him at WR or FS. Worth a try.

In response to minnypat's comment:

Sorry, but I really hate talk of trading down or for future picks. People have to realize Brady and Belichick are not going to be around forever. And while the Pats have had an extrodinary season, the team has many holes.

On offense we have the worse pass blocking center in the whole NFL. With Gronk gone do we have a tight end who can get open and make a catch. We still lack that sideline deep threat that Dobson was supposed to give us.

On defense Gregory is clearly a liability. Drafting Tavon Wilson and Duron Harmon looks like a wash. Our starting DT's should be third team back ups. And we have no depth at DE.

Screw trading down and for future picks. We need players now. If you are going to trade Mallett get some picks that can be packaged to move up or keep picks and take best value.

I still say if you added Ridley to Mallett both Cleveland and Houston would give up their seconds. RB is one area in free agency that has some players.

What about using a late round pick on Kenny Guyton, the Ohio State backup QB? the kid has size and is an exceptional athlete.  Try him at WR or FS. Worth a try.

If BB decides to trade down, that means he has a vision for what the team needs to win in the future. I would be surprised if he would do moves like that if he does not see himself as part of that future team.

C, TE, WR and S are all positions that do not require first rounders. WR is a very deep in 2014. S Whether or not they need a TE will depend on how well the offense operates in the next two games.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

January 17
    • (12:01 AM): Looking down the road … Don’t know if all that many NFL teams draft strategically in the sense that they don’t force an early pick on a weak position when that position is likely to be much stronger the following draft, but if they do they now have a better idea what players are going to be available in 2015 now that the 2014 draft class is pretty much set. Of course, a whole lot is going to change between now and May 2015, but at least for now it looks like the 2015 draft could be loaded at QB with as many as 4 players at the position with the physical tools to be considered to be the #1 pick overall including Florida State redshirt sophomore (in 2014) Jamies Winston, juniors Marcus Mariota of Oregon and UCLA‘s Brett Hundley, and Baylor senior Bryce Petty. Plus there will be some solid depth at the position. It should also be another deep year at OT after a flurry of juniors opted to pass on the 2014 draft and return to school including Cameron Erving of Florida State, Texas A&M’s Cedric Ogbuehi, La’el Collins of LSU, Sean Hickey of Syracuse, and Iowa’s Brandon Scherff. There could also be a star-studded RB class including juniors like T.J. Yeldon of Alabama, Georgia’s Todd Gurley, Mike Davis of South Carolina, Duke Johnson of Miami and Wisconsin’s Mel Gordon. Meanwhile, after something of a down year, there could be some pretty good edge rushers in the 2015 draft including junior-to-be DEs Randy Gregory of Nebraska, Shilique Calhoun of Michigan State, Mario Edwards of Florida State and Southern Cal’s Leonard Williams, along with senior OLB Vic Beasley of Clemson and DE Greg Reed of Texas and Georgia junior OLB Jordan Jenkins.

• Two more juniors added to early entry list … The names of two more juniors who have opted to enter the 2014 draft have become known (again thanks to reader LP for sniffing them out) as Bethune-Cookman FS Nick Addison and McNeese State TE Nic Jacobs reportedly filed paperwork with the NFL to be eligible for the upcoming draft. Jacobs is a 6-5, 260-pounder who played two years at LSU before transferring and could be something of a sleeper this coming May. Addison is a 6-1, 180-pound FCSAll-American who picked off 9 passes over the past two years, but is considered to be more a free agent type prospect.

http://www.gbnreport.com/

We haven't really discussed him since late October, but Lousiville's Calvin Pryor (6-2 208) is the best S in this class, IMO.  We originally heard his name from jj, who posted something from a draftnik name "Pigskin Paul"... he defied anyone to name a better S in this class and at this point... I completely agree.  Very good size, feet and speed and won't hesitate to come up and cave your head in. .. a definite tone setter... also shows solid technique as an open field tackler.  He can come in a little too hot at times and overrun the play, but I really like this kid as an option... definite Top 40 player that I think could come off the board in Rd 1... should be the #1 S... taken ahead of Clinton-Dix.

LTU DT Justin Ellis (6-2 350) is an underrated kid... I seem him consistently listed as a late Day 3 kid, but looks much better than that on tape.  Kid is a war daddy... explosive off the snap, brings immense power at the point and is consistently able to bull his man back into the pocket... he also has excellent movement ability for a big fatty, and shows solid instincts/awareness.  He's not very diverse in his pass-rush, mostly the bull rush at this point, and he'll need to do a better job of protecting his legs, but I could very well see this kid ending up in Foxboro as he has the size, power and skill set that BB likes in his DT/NT's.

I also was finally able to get a look at WKU S Jonathan Dowling... like his length, good speed/size combo, good effort in pursuit and looks like a solid open field tackler.

LTU DT Justin Ellis (6-2 350) is an underrated kid... I seem him consistently listed as a late Day 3 kid, but looks much better than that on tape.  Kid is explosive off the snap, bring immense power at the point and is consistently able to bull his man back into the pocket... he also has excellent movement ability for a big fatty, and shows solid instincts/awareness.  He's not very diverse in his pass-rush, mostly the bull rush at this point, and he'll need to do a better job of protecting his legs, but I could very well see this kid ending up in Foxboro as he has the size, power and skill set that BB likes in his DT/NT's.

I have had my eye on him for a while and Zac Kerr, DT, Delaware 6'2" 330.  Ellis has that strong anchor.  I don't have measurables such as arm length. Rather have long arms to fight off blocks.  I see both as later rd possibilities.  The question is if you go late round on an NT will he be better than Siliga? Depth, maybe.

Quick analysis from Brett Geiring, BR writing about potential Chiefs.

Justin Ellis, DT, Louisiana Tech (6'2", 357 lbs, No. 70, West)

Physically, Justin Ellis looks a lot like Dontari Poe. He's just not nearly as athletic. 

Ellis, like Poe, played in a 4-3 front at Louisiana Tech and was a run-stuffing nightmare for opposing offenses, demanding double teams on a routine basis. 

The 357-pounder isn't going to apply quarterback pressure, and he desperately needs to add some more rushing techniques to his arsenal. Also, he has a tendency to become upright, allowing blockers to gain leverage under his pads. Ellis doesn't embody the freakish stamina that distinguishes Poe either, as he rarely participates in the entirety of drives. 

Still, he's 357 pounds and flaunts a vicious bull rush that can send backfields into a panicked state of disarray. The Chiefs need to enlist a backup for their first-time Pro Bowler, and Ellis could be worth taking a chance on.

LTU DT Justin Ellis (6-2 350) is an underrated kid... I seem him consistently listed as a late Day 3 kid, but looks much better than that on tape.  Kid is explosive off the snap, bring immense power at the point and is consistently able to bull his man back into the pocket... he also has excellent movement ability for a big fatty, and shows solid instincts/awareness.  He's not very diverse in his pass-rush, mostly the bull rush at this point, and he'll need to do a better job of protecting his legs, but I could very well see this kid ending up in Foxboro as he has the size, power and skill set that BB likes in his DT/NT's.

I have had my eye on him for a while and Zac Kerr, DT, Delaware 6'2" 330.  Ellis has that strong anchor.  I don't have measurables such as arm length. Rather have long arms to fight off blocks.  I see both as later rd possibilities.  The question is if you go late round on an NT will he be better than Siliga? Depth, maybe.

Quick analysis from Brett Geiring, BR writing about potential Chiefs.

Justin Ellis, DT, Louisiana Tech (6'2", 357 lbs, No. 70, West)

Physically, Justin Ellis looks a lot like Dontari Poe. He's just not nearly as athletic. 

Ellis, like Poe, played in a 4-3 front at Louisiana Tech and was a run-stuffing nightmare for opposing offenses, demanding double teams on a routine basis. 

The 357-pounder isn't going to apply quarterback pressure, and he desperately needs to add some more rushing techniques to his arsenal. Also, he has a tendency to become upright, allowing blockers to gain leverage under his pads. Ellis doesn't embody the freakish stamina that distinguishes Poe either, as he rarely participates in the entirety of drives. 

Still, he's 357 pounds and flaunts a vicious bull rush that can send backfields into a panicked state of disarray. The Chiefs need to enlist a backup for their first-time Pro Bowler, and Ellis could be worth taking a chance on.

I'll have to check Kerr out.  Don't know if he'd be better than Siliga or not, but I like the idea of building depth upfront.  

As the All Star games start up and the Combine there will defintely be names moving up and down.  East-West Shrine Game was yesterday. 

Will Clarke has that C Jones look and body, flexible around the edge, someone I have not considered.

01/18/14 - PROSPECTS WHO HELPED THEMSELVES AT THE SHRINE GAME: 2. DL Will Clarke, West Virginia (6-6, 273, 4.83, #98)...Last weekend, I listed Clarke as my top defensive prospect in the game and a week later, that hasn't changed. He is a tall, flexible athlete with the long arms and natural bend to get around blockers and disrupt the pocket. Clarke got himself in trouble a few times when he popped up off the snap and lost initial leverage, but he has the explosive first step and length to be productive at the next level. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

From Nfl.com: 1. Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois

Garoppolo stood out as the best player during the week of practice and he put together a strong performance during the game on Saturday. He showed very quick feet in his setup, a lightning-quick release and accuracy to all three levels. I was very impressed with the command and poise he displayed in the pocket. He has built up a lot of momentum heading into the Reese's Senior Bowl (Jan. 25 on NFL Network).

2. Chandler Jones, WR, San Jose State

Jones is an undersized receiver who had a big week both outside and in the slot. He consistently made plays every day in practice and that carried over to the game, in which he caught seven balls for 73 yards. He doesn't have "wow" speed, but he's very quick off the line and he doesn't waste any steps getting in or out of his breaks. He has a very good feel for settling in zones and working back to the quarterback.

3. Dakota Dozier, G, Furman

Dozier played left tackle at Furman, but he did a very nice job as a guard this week and that is where he best projects at the next level. He has quick feet, excellent balance and strong hands. In the run game, he was able to generate movement at the point of attack. In the passing game he was an easy mover and didn't have much trouble anchoring down against power rushers or redirecting versus quicker opponents. I wouldn't be surprised if he landed somewhere in the third round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

4. Alden Darby, S, Arizona State

Darby had a big game on Saturday night. The rangy Sun Devils safety flew around the field and picked off two passes. He needs to add some more bulk, but I was impressed by his combination of instincts and ball skills. I haven't evaluated him on tape, but I've talked to a couple different teams that view him as a fifth-round value.

5. Will Clarke, DE, West Virginia

Clarke had a solid week of practice, but he took his game to a new level Saturday. He has outstanding size and he created consistent pressure as a pass rusher. He uses his length and power to work through the outside shoulder of opposing tackles and he showed a nice closing burst to finish. He has plenty of strength to hold the point of attack in the run game, but he also displayed the quickness to penetrate and disrupt.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24413534/nfl-draft-five-standouts-from-nflpa-collegiate-bowl

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24413534/nfl-draft-five-standouts-from-nflpa-collegiate-bowl

Thanks, I'm gonna see if I can find more info on Wozniak... the size is definitely there.

UPDATE: His bio said he had 21 starts over the last (2) years, so I figured he was primarilty a blocking TE, so I checked out a few of Melvin Gordon's games... the size is there, but he's more of a wall off blocker at this point... doesn't show a ton of power at the point, but can generally stay in front of his man.  He can over-extend and narrow us his base on occasion, but generally plays with a good base.

In a related note, Melvin Gordon is an absolute stud with the ball in his hands... reminds me of a thicker and maybe slightly slower Jamaal Charles.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

1. TE
    2. Big Physical WR with RAC ability
    3. DT
    4. MLB
    5. Interior OL

• You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

MB is it that time where the Patriots try and find the replacements for two of the most important spots on the team? I mean DT and QB, I've been reading that Hageman is a probable fit in the first round for New England, and that would solve one spot, but not the QB. Is Mallett the guy or is he trade bait? Here's a name or two to watch in the upcoming draft at the QB position: Fales SJS, Jordan Lynch NIU, and from out of nowheres comes Dustin Vaughn WTS. Which of these three would you like to groom as TB's eventual replacement in the event they trade Ryan Mallett? I know you have the skinny on every player so give me your best eval of these three guys, thnx.

Thanks, I'm gonna see if I can find more info on Wozniak... the size is definitely there.

UPDATE: His bio said he had 21 starts over the last (2) years, so I figured he was primarilty a blocking TE, so I checked out a few of Melvin Gordon's games... the size is there, but he's more of a wall off blocker at this point... doesn't show a ton of power at the point, but can generally stay in front of his man.  He can over-extend and narrow us his base on occasion, but generally plays with a good base.

In a related note, Melvin Gordon is an absolute stud with the ball in his hands... reminds me of a thicker and maybe slightly slower Jamaal Charles.

Gordon will be back for another year, too bad. I would let Blount walk and reload, Gordon would have been a good choice. On Wozniak, I think NE needs to look at complete TEs that can block, pass, run.

• Sections
    Shortcuts