***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

2014 Senior Bowl: Ten Prospects with a Lot to Prove on the South Roster

Written by Eric Galko on 19 January 2014.

Just like the North Roster, I decided to focus on ten prospects that have the most to prove this week. Again, it’s important to know what to look for in each of these guys that they couldn’t or struggle to prove on film.

Quarterback Derek Carr is the big name, but all of the below players can really improve their stock and value for teams with a strong week in Mobile.

1. Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
    For some, Carr is the top quarterback here. But after re-watching him on film, Carr ranks as the 3rd best quarterback in our eyes. Concerns about his footwork, placement when off his platform, and overall anticipation at an NFL level all are questions I’d like to have answered. He could certainly LEAVE as the best quarterback here, but he enters the game with more doubts than positives for a potential 1st rounder.

2. Kevin Norwood, WR, Alabama
    Valued as the third most talented receiver on the Alabama roster, Norwood didn’t get to show an really impressive skill sets during his time at Alabama. A strong-handed receiver who finishes catches down the field and had success getting separation in the mid-field and in the redzone, Norwood could utilize that consistency this week. I’ll be looking for him to win consistently as a route runner and display more quickness and versatility than he was able to at Alabama.

3. Billy Turner, OT, North Dakota State
    A true mauler for the North Dakota State rushing attack, Turner was able to show the natural strength, balance, and push upfield at the FCS level to not only earn an invite, but potentially enter with a Day Two grade. I’ll be very curious to see him work on the edge as a pass protector, and if he can consistently have success with his hand placement as a run blocker. If he can do both, and considering that the senior offensive tackle class is week, he could emerge as a Top 40 pick.

4. Ja’Wuan James, OT, Tennessee
    James improved quite a bit in his senior season, deepening his initial bucket step off the snap and holding a square, wide base to utilize his length more effectively. He still tends to click his heels or cross over while mirroring edge rushers, but his redirect laterally remains a big time plus for evaluators. James rarely secures a dominant inside fit with his hands and doesn’t wow with strength right away, but he does an excellent job of running his feet and holding ideal base width to finish blocks. Always an impressive tools player with the foot speed, length and natural power you look for, he appears to be flexible throughout his frame and will be an enticing developmental left tackle prospect in the latter portion of the top 100 picks.

5. Chris Smith, DE, Arkansas
    Only similar to Dee Ford in listed height and takeoff explosiveness, Chris Smith packs a ton of muscle onto his frame and remains one of the better athletes at his position. Able to sidestep blockers with lateral quickness, Smith’s athleticism helps him to keep clean of blocks but also plays to the detriment of his teammates. Beyond having quickness, Smith exchanges his hands with blockers, creates ideal separation at the point of attack and knows how to absorb contact through his powerful lower body. Physical tools aside, this isn’t an incredibly reliable run defender, and the frustrating aspect of his game is the lack of consistent activity. He’ll go a series or two without making a play and that’s concerning for NFL teams. Despite the added weight, Smith still struggles to convert speed to power and doesn’t have a go-to counter move once his initial momentum is stymied. Going back over notes and tape from the past season only raised questions and concerns about the day two grade I gave Chris Smith entering the season, so he’ll need to perform well to maintain his current position ranking.

6. Will Sutton, DT, Arizona State
    Similar to the North’s Aaron Donald, Sutton’s size is a concern for teams, and he may be “capped” as a 2nd rounder because of his natural limitations. Combine  that with a down senior season that appeared to be because of added weight gain and a lack of quickness initially and laterally throughout a game, Sutton seemed to take a step back his senior season. A Senior Bowl that reminds scouts of why he was a fringe 1st rounder entering the week is a must-do if Sutton wants to get back in teams’ good graces

7. Daniel McCullers, DT, Tennessee
    Anytime you’re as large and as situationally dominant as Daniel McCullers, teams are going to be intrigued. But, for the past two seasons, he hasn’t done much to ease team’s motor, consistency, and motivation concerns he’s had. Team’s will be looking for him not to be too “sloppy” at the weigh-in, appear to hold his weight well enough, flash during the week in over-powering in one-on-one situations, and see if he can remain consistent throughout the entire week of practice.

8. Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, Georgia Tech
    I’ll start off with this: A strong week in Mobile could push Attaochu into the Top 10-15 picks of the draft. And I’ll follow with this: I think Attaochu is going to have an impressive week as an edge rusher when he gets that opportunity, and he won’t look half bad in area coverage. He’s an ultra-talented rusher who was limited his junior and especially his senior season due to a scheme that didn’t fit his skill set. Look for him to really wow this week, and emerge as a legitimate target for the Raiders, Falcons, Bills, and Titans after the week is over.

9. Adrian Hubbard, OLB, Alabama (RS JR)
    Extremely long and athletic, with an ideal defensive end body type, my issue with Adrian Hubbard is how soft his hands are at the point of attack. Because Hubbard tends to be slow and deliberate with his initial punch, he rarely wins hand positioning and exposes his midsection far too easily for opposing blockers. As a pass rusher, Hubbard’s long gait allows him to close distance quickly between he and opposing blockers and he also possesses the body control to redirect back inside through contact. Listed as a linebacker, Hubbard will need to also see snaps at defensive end so he can give teams a better impression of his physicality. With his movement skills and length, Hubbard has the potential to be a better NFL player than he was at Alabama.

10. Keith McGill, CB, Utah
    Most NFL teams are looking to follow the mold of the Seahawks (and Jaguars, to a lesser extent) in terms of pushing size, length, and physicality atop their evaluation traits for cornerbacks. McGill certainly fits those criteria, and his film oozes with the upside that team’s will want to develop. A strong week, particularly in press, and not getting exposed vertically, could make him a solid Day Two pick.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

2014 Senior Bowl: Ten Prospects with a Lot to Prove On the North Roster

Logan ThomasUnfortunately, a full preview detailing every prospect wasn’t doable after a long Shrine Game week and the film required not being possible. However, I’ve seen a large majority of these prospects multiple times, and the key to evaluating these games is knowing what to look for.

So, I chose to list the ten players with the MOST to prove, and what exactly I’ll be looking for in each of them during the week. I put a lot of value in the Senior Bowl and seeing these guys side by side, especially at the quarterback position, so don’t be surprised to see us, along with others in the media and NFL teams, adjust their grades accordingly after this week’s practice.

1. Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech
    Entering the game as the most gifted athlete at the quarterback position, Thomas has struggled to live up to high, Cam Newton-like expectations after his sophomore season. His inconsistencies in placement, progressions, and decision making, including when and when not to run , are concerning on film. However, he possesses the talent to still be considered on Day Two (and potentially early) if he can have a strong week this week.

2. Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
    Boyd had the luxury of playing with a talented supporting cast at Clemson, particularly with receivers that made fantastic catches that hid some of his placement concerns across the field. Showing the flashes of Russell Wilson and Donovan McNabb at times, he has the tools to similar to those two, but has struggled to get to that point as a passer. Scouts will be curious to see him at the weigh-in, how he places the ball across the field, and how he responds to a new set of receivers in an unfamiliar offense.

3. Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin
    Likely under-appreciated entering the game due to a lackluster quarterback this year, Abbrederis could leave as one of the top senior receivers. He possesses great hand usage in both press situations and when working downfield, having a phenomenal game against potential 1st rounder Bradley Roby and Ohio State. If he can showcase his route polish, consistently winning at the catch-point, and more big play ability after the catch than he showed on film, he could emerge as a legitimate Day Two selection.

4. Gator Hoskins, TE, Marshall
    A late invite to the event, Hoskins made a name for himself during bowl season after a two touchdown performance in his final college game. The likely NFL H-Back, Hoskins will be able to show his versatility in route running from different initial positions, and if he can match up against NFL level safeties/coverage linebackers. A big week could make him a trendy late Day Two or early Day Three receiving tight end/H-Back option.

5. Weston Richburg, OC, Colorado State
    With the hand exchange, footwork, leverage, and quickness in the run game, Richburg has the potentially to be a big winner this week if he can stand out among the interior linemen in attendance. He’ll need to show he can win against bigger nose tackles on the inside and fit in multiple schemes, but his ability to finish plays and quickness in his blocking footwork could push him up to a Day Two center prospect.

6. Kadeem Edwards, OG, Georgia Southern
    A pleasant surprise as a I watched him on film in preparation, Edwards is a powerful inside run blocker who initiates contact at a high level and displays great power and upper body strength in pass protection. His hand placement is an issue, and quicker inside rushers (like Aaron Donald, Stephen Shamar) could expose him a bit. I’ll be watching his hand placement and initial pad level in pass protection closely this week

7. Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
    If he were just a few inches taller, scouts wouldn’t have a concern with Donald being a Top 10 pick. However, his lack of ideal size likely limits him in the NFL, unless he can prove it won’t this week. He has the talent level and college production to have a fantastic week, and if he can show that NFL-level offensive linemen can handle him consistently, I’ll have no qualms about making him a Top 20 pick.

8. Shamar Stephen, DT, UConn
    I had heard a lot of Stephen once he was invited, and the flashes he showed on a poor Uconn defense this year earned the praise he received. With quick hands initially, his speed-to-power transfer upfield, and his plus bend and fluidity inside and out, Stephen could emerge as a Day Two pick with a good week here. I’ll be watching his ability to disengage in the run game and his read-reaction ability in team running plays.

9. Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood
    A Shrine Game call-up, Desir didn’t get a chance to utilize his length and natural physical ability during practices because the corners were limited to no pressing. He’ll get plenty of one-on-one situations with physical receivers like Jared Abbrederis, which will be a battle to watch early in the week. An impressive week here, combined with a solid Shrine Week and intriguing potential displayed on film, Desir could vault up into the high Day Two area after the Senior Bowl and Combine.

10. Jimmie Ward, SAF, Northern Illinois
    Ward has played both cornerback and safety in his Northern Illinois career, and he’ll likely get work at both (particularly at nickel corner) this week. Ward is an active edge player, finishing tackles well and working man or zone coverage at a high level. I’ll be curious to see him remain balanced and quick to react from his safety spot, and how he can handle slot coverage against NFL-level receivers this week.

Really high on Abbrederis and Richburg... Abbrederis also has big hands (9 5/8) for a relatively slight WR... Richburg could step right into the starting C role.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to Faucetman's comment:

1. TE
    2. Big Physical WR with YAC ability
    3. DT
    4. MLB
    5. Interior OL

They should definitely have their pick from a solid group of TE/WR/DT/OL at the back end of Rd 1.  

What's your view on Kelvin Benjamin or Eric Ebron?  Do you think either will be there and/or would be a good fit?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

2014 Senior Bowl: Ten Prospects with a Lot to Prove on the South Roster

Just like the North Roster, I decided to focus on ten prospects that have the most to prove this week. Again, it’s important to know what to look for in each of these guys that they couldn’t or struggle to prove on film.

Quarterback Derek Carr is the big name, but all of the below players can really improve their stock and value for teams with a strong week in Mobile.

1. Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
    For some, Carr is the top quarterback here. But after re-watching him on film, Carr ranks as the 3rd best quarterback in our eyes. Concerns about his footwork, placement when off his platform, and overall anticipation at an NFL level all are questions I’d like to have answered. He could certainly LEAVE as the best quarterback here, but he enters the game with more doubts than positives for a potential 1st rounder.

2. Kevin Norwood, WR, Alabama
    Valued as the third most talented receiver on the Alabama roster, Norwood didn’t get to show an really impressive skill sets during his time at Alabama. A strong-handed receiver who finishes catches down the field and had success getting separation in the mid-field and in the redzone, Norwood could utilize that consistency this week. I’ll be looking for him to win consistently as a route runner and display more quickness and versatility than he was able to at Alabama.

3. Billy Turner, OT, North Dakota State
    A true mauler for the North Dakota State rushing attack, Turner was able to show the natural strength, balance, and push upfield at the FCS level to not only earn an invite, but potentially enter with a Day Two grade. I’ll be very curious to see him work on the edge as a pass protector, and if he can consistently have success with his hand placement as a run blocker. If he can do both, and considering that the senior offensive tackle class is week, he could emerge as a Top 40 pick.

4. Ja’Wuan James, OT, Tennessee
    James improved quite a bit in his senior season, deepening his initial bucket step off the snap and holding a square, wide base to utilize his length more effectively. He still tends to click his heels or cross over while mirroring edge rushers, but his redirect laterally remains a big time plus for evaluators. James rarely secures a dominant inside fit with his hands and doesn’t wow with strength right away, but he does an excellent job of running his feet and holding ideal base width to finish blocks. Always an impressive tools player with the foot speed, length and natural power you look for, he appears to be flexible throughout his frame and will be an enticing developmental left tackle prospect in the latter portion of the top 100 picks.

5. Chris Smith, DE, Arkansas
    Only similar to Dee Ford in listed height and takeoff explosiveness, Chris Smith packs a ton of muscle onto his frame and remains one of the better athletes at his position. Able to sidestep blockers with lateral quickness, Smith’s athleticism helps him to keep clean of blocks but also plays to the detriment of his teammates. Beyond having quickness, Smith exchanges his hands with blockers, creates ideal separation at the point of attack and knows how to absorb contact through his powerful lower body. Physical tools aside, this isn’t an incredibly reliable run defender, and the frustrating aspect of his game is the lack of consistent activity. He’ll go a series or two without making a play and that’s concerning for NFL teams. Despite the added weight, Smith still struggles to convert speed to power and doesn’t have a go-to counter move once his initial momentum is stymied. Going back over notes and tape from the past season only raised questions and concerns about the day two grade I gave Chris Smith entering the season, so he’ll need to perform well to maintain his current position ranking.

6. Will Sutton, DT, Arizona State
    Similar to the North’s Aaron Donald, Sutton’s size is a concern for teams, and he may be “capped” as a 2nd rounder because of his natural limitations. Combine  that with a down senior season that appeared to be because of added weight gain and a lack of quickness initially and laterally throughout a game, Sutton seemed to take a step back his senior season. A Senior Bowl that reminds scouts of why he was a fringe 1st rounder entering the week is a must-do if Sutton wants to get back in teams’ good graces

7. Daniel McCullers, DT, Tennessee
    Anytime you’re as large and as situationally dominant as Daniel McCullers, teams are going to be intrigued. But, for the past two seasons, he hasn’t done much to ease team’s motor, consistency, and motivation concerns he’s had. Team’s will be looking for him not to be too “sloppy” at the weigh-in, appear to hold his weight well enough, flash during the week in over-powering in one-on-one situations, and see if he can remain consistent throughout the entire week of practice.

8. Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, Georgia Tech
    I’ll start off with this: A strong week in Mobile could push Attaochu into the Top 10-15 picks of the draft. And I’ll follow with this: I think Attaochu is going to have an impressive week as an edge rusher when he gets that opportunity, and he won’t look half bad in area coverage. He’s an ultra-talented rusher who was limited his junior and especially his senior season due to a scheme that didn’t fit his skill set. Look for him to really wow this week, and emerge as a legitimate target for the Raiders, Falcons, Bills, and Titans after the week is over.

9. Adrian Hubbard, OLB, Alabama (RS JR)
    Extremely long and athletic, with an ideal defensive end body type, my issue with Adrian Hubbard is how soft his hands are at the point of attack. Because Hubbard tends to be slow and deliberate with his initial punch, he rarely wins hand positioning and exposes his midsection far too easily for opposing blockers. As a pass rusher, Hubbard’s long gait allows him to close distance quickly between he and opposing blockers and he also possesses the body control to redirect back inside through contact. Listed as a linebacker, Hubbard will need to also see snaps at defensive end so he can give teams a better impression of his physicality. With his movement skills and length, Hubbard has the potential to be a better NFL player than he was at Alabama.

10. Keith McGill, CB, Utah
    Most NFL teams are looking to follow the mold of the Seahawks (and Jaguars, to a lesser extent) in terms of pushing size, length, and physicality atop their evaluation traits for cornerbacks. McGill certainly fits those criteria, and his film oozes with the upside that team’s will want to develop. A strong week, particularly in press, and not getting exposed vertically, could make him a solid Day Two pick.

Sutton doesn't play to his weight, at least not from what I've seen... he was dominated physically by Stanford's David Yankey.  I think he's better off shedding a few, going to 4-3 team that allows him to s/h/o/o/t gaps... def 3 tech.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

1. TE
    2. Big Physical WR with YAC ability
    3. DT
    4. MLB
    5. Interior OL

They should definitely have their pick from a solid group of TE/WR/DT/OL at the back end of Rd 1.  

What's your view on Kelvin Benjamin or Eric Ebron?  Do you think either will be there and/or would be a good fit?

Ebron is a true TE that can play inline... I'd expect him to be gone by the time NE selects... Benjamin has been a fulltime WR and I think that's where he stays in the NFL... he too might be gone before they select... really unique player (not many WR's with his combo of size/speed/athleticism) that's just scratching the surface.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Practices/North-Monday.php

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Practices/South-Monday.php

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

MB is it that time where the Patriots try and find the replacements for two of the most important spots on the team? I mean DT and QB, I've been reading that Hageman is a probable fit in the first round for New England, and that would solve one spot, but not the QB. Is Mallett the guy or is he trade bait? Here's a name or two to watch in the upcoming draft at the QB position: Fales SJS, Jordan Lynch NIU, and from out of nowheres comes Dustin Vaughn WTS. Which of these three would you like to groom as TB's eventual replacement in the event they trade Ryan Mallett? I know you have the skinny on every player so give me your best eval of these three guys, thnx.

I think DT is a definite need... there's some decent depth with the return of VW/Kelly, but there's also plenty of room to upgrade the talent up front and Hageman in Rd 1 makes a ton of sense.  I also really like PSU's Daquan Jones, South Carolina's Kelcy Quarles and LSU's Ego Ferguson at some point in Rd 2.  FSU's Timmy Jernigan is a bit undersized by general BB standards (6-2 298), but is very good vs. the run and could also be under consideration at some point within the Top 40 or so.

As for the QB's mentioned, David Fales will cost you the most (should be a Day 2 pick), but is also the most talented of the (3).  Arm is just adequate, but he's accurate, competitive and has some mobility.  I personally don't think Jordan Lynch will be a QB in the NFL for long.

EIU's Jimmy Garapolo is another hot name and riser and could be an option at some point on Day 2, as could Alabama's AJ McCarron.

For other kids that I like on Day 3, I'm looking at UNC's Bryn Renner, Ball State's Keith Wenning and Ohio State's Kenny Guiton.  I also look forward to checking out some Vaughan tape.

Here are some of the particulars on Vaughn: 6'5" 232lbs, threw for 5,401 yards as a Senior with 53 TD's, a passing pct, of 66.2 ! In his three seasons as a starter he has thrown for 13,525 yards and 123 TD's. Pretty heady stuff, someone is going to take a chance on him and if he's available in the 6th round I think he might just be a winner!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

SB, good post. I think Hageman will move up above pick 29 for sure.  He is a physical freak and I know teams will overdraft.  Tuitt is a possiblity in Rd1. Jones, Quarles, Ferguson in RD 2 are excellent picks. Nix will probably go the latest to GB RD1, but he needs to be healthy and at a decent weight.

Good QB analysis, are you thinking NE definitely moves Mallett?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Orton may be a sleeper.

Patriots signed WR Greg Orton, C Braxton Cave, OT Jordan Devey, WR Reggie Dunn, OG R.J. Mattes, RB Sam McGuffie and LB Taylor Reed to reserve/future contracts.

A fourth-year undrafted free agent, Orton made waves in the Broncos' offseason program last season, but went down on August 3 with a high-ankle sprain. He was waived/injured soon after. Already 27, 2014 figures to be Orton's last chance to crack a 53-man roster.  

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/nfl/ne/new-england-patriots  

01/02/14  - WR Greg Orton signed with the Patriots practice squad Dec. 31. The 6-foot-3, 207-pounder originally entered the NFL as an undrafted rookie out of Purdue with the Bengals in 2009. He spent parts of both 2011 and 2012 on the Broncos practice squad. He went to camp in Denver this past summer and has also spent time in the Arena League and UFL.  

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=56958&draftyear=2009&genpos=WR

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Updated Big 53 Board:

Rd 1 (8)

OT/OG- Zack Martin- ND

DT- Ra'shede Hageman- Minnesota

DE/OLB- Marcus Smith *Added 1/5/14*

S- Calvin Pryor- Lousiville *Added 1/17/14*

WR- Allen Robinson- PSU *Added 1/1/14*

TE- Troy Niklas- ND *Added 1/12/14*

TE- Jace Amaro- TTU *Added 1/17/14*

DE/OLB- Trent Murphy- Stanford

Rd 1-2 (5)

WR/TE- Kelvin Benjamin- FSU *Added 12/11/13*

DT- Timmy Jernigan- FSU

CB/S- Kyle Fuller- VT

OLB- Kyle Van Noy- BYU

WR- Brandin Cooks- *Added 1/1/14*

Rd 2 (12)

DT- DaQuan Jones- PSU

DT- Kelcy Quarles- South Carolina

DT- Ego Ferguson- LSU

ILB- Shayne Skov- Stanford

CB/S- Lamarcus Joyner- FSU *Added 12/20/13*

WR- Jarvis Landry- *Added 12/7/13*

CB- Bradley Roby- OSU

LB- Telvin Smith- *Added 12/20/13*

DE/OLB- Trevor Reilly- *Added 12/29/13*

LB- Adrian Hubbard- Alabama *Added 12/11/13*

OG- Xavier Su’a-Filo- UCLA * Added 12/7/13*

S- Deone Bucannon- WSU

Rd 2-3 (3)

QB- AJ McCarron- Alabama

ILB- Yawin Smallwood- Uconn

CB- EJ Gaines- Missouri

Rd 3 (10)

S- Antone Exum- VT

TE- CJ Fiedorowicz- Iowa

TE- Arthur Lynch- Georgia

WR- Jared Abbrederis- Wisconsin

ILB- Chris Borland- Wisconsin

C/OG- Weston Richburg- Colorado State

OG- Anthony Steen- Alabama

DT- Ed Stinson- Alabama

TE- Marcel Jensen- Fresno State

C/OG- Bryan Stork- FSU *Added 12/11/13*

Rd 4-7 (15)

DT- Justin Ellis- LTU- *Added 1/18/14*

DT- Brent Urban Virginia- *Added 12/30/13*

ILB- Max Bullough- Michigan State

S- Jason Hendricks- Pitt *Added 1/11/14*

DT- Ryan Carrethers- Arkansas St *Added 12/22/13*

QB- Bryn Renner- UNC

WR- TJ Jones- ND- *Added 1/18/14*

WR- Michael Campanaro- WF- *Added 1/12/14*

RB- Tyler Gaffney- Stanford

QB- Keith Wenning- Ball State *Added 12/29/13*

TE- Rob Blanchflower- Umass *Added 1/1/14*

ILB- Glenn Carson- PSU

S- Shamiel Gary- Oklahoma State

DT- Beau Allen- Wisconsin

RB- Alfred Blue- LSU

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

NFP » News » Hot News and Rumors RSS NFL draft trade talk already starting at Senior Bowl

With so many underclassmen available, teams are looking to nab second- and third-round picks

Jason Cole

Share Print This January 21, 2014, 09:46 AM EST
    4 Reddit 1 Share   0  

Although the NFL draft is still almost three months away and the NFL scouting combine isn’t for another month, several team executives said Monday and Tuesday that preliminary trade talk is al-ready being bandied about at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala.

In particular, there are several teams interested in moving back in the draft in hopes of obtaining extra picks in the second and third rounds. The reason is that because 102 underclassmen have entered the draft, this year’s draft is expected to be one of the deepest in many years.

“You’re going to see a lot of players who would normally be second-round picks end up in the third round. Same goes for the mid- to late-first round picks ending up in the second round,” one team executive said.

While this draft is expected to have a number of top-end stars available in the top 10, includ-ing defensive end Jadeveon Clowney of South Carolina and quarterbacks Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Manziel, some teams may opt for depth in this draft.

“If you’re in a rebuilding mode, I think it would be really tempting to move back to pick up a couple of extra picks,” said another executive, who pointed to Jacksonville as a team that would fit that profile. The Jaguars have the No. 3 pick and are in need of a quarterback, but also have needs at numerous other spots.

St. Louis, which has the No. 2 overall pick from Washington via the Robert Griffin III trade in 2012, is also looking to move down. A Rams coach joked about the team taking Clowney at No. 2 and putting him on the field with fellow defensive ends Robert Quinn and Chris Long, but then admitted that might be difficult.

Follow me on Twitter @JasonPhilColehttp://www.twitter.com/jasonphilcole

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Updated Big 53 Board:

Rd 1 (8)

OT/OG- Zack Martin- ND

Rd 1-2 (5)

DT- Timmy Jernigan- FSU

CB/S- Kyle Fuller- VT

OLB- Kyle Van Noy- BYU

Rd 2 (12)

DT- DaQuan Jones- PSU

DT- Ego Ferguson- LSU

CB- Bradley Roby- OSU

S- Deone Bucannon- WSU

Rd 2-3 (3)

QB- AJ McCarron- Alabama

CB- EJ Gaines- Missouri

Rd 3 (10)

S- Antone Exum- VT

TE- CJ Fiedorowicz- Iowa

DT- Ed Stinson- Alabama

Rd 4-7 (15)

QB- Bryn Renner- UNC

ILB- Glenn Carson- PSU

RB- Alfred Blue- LSU

Really Good Big Board.   Who do you consider a sleeper, someone that is low on your board but has a chance to move up a round or two?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Updated Big 53 Board:

Rd 1 (8)

OT/OG- Zack Martin- ND

Rd 1-2 (5)

DT- Timmy Jernigan- FSU

CB/S- Kyle Fuller- VT

OLB- Kyle Van Noy- BYU

Rd 2 (12)

DT- DaQuan Jones- PSU

DT- Ego Ferguson- LSU

CB- Bradley Roby- OSU

S- Deone Bucannon- WSU

Rd 2-3 (3)

QB- AJ McCarron- Alabama

CB- EJ Gaines- Missouri

Rd 3 (10)

S- Antone Exum- VT

TE- CJ Fiedorowicz- Iowa

DT- Ed Stinson- Alabama

Rd 4-7 (15)

QB- Bryn Renner- UNC

ILB- Glenn Carson- PSU

RB- Alfred Blue- LSU

Really Good Big Board.   Who do you consider a sleeper, someone that is low on your board but has a chance to move up a round or two?

Thanks, as far as sleepers go, Lousiville DE/OLB Marcus Smith is one of the best players that I've seen on tape this season... he's currently listed as a Rd 2/3 kid, but I see an eventual Rd 1 talent.

As for kids that I think could move up a bit, LTU DT Jason Ellis, Pitt S Jason Hendricks and UNC QB Bryn Renner are a few of kids that are rated towards the end of Day 3, but could end up as mid round picks, IMO.  I'm also high on Oklahoma State S Shamiel Gary, see him listed as a 7th Rd/URFA type, but I think he's a mid round kid too, based on the tape that I've seen.  He wasn't getting much PT late in the year, though I haven't been able to figure out if it was injury or performance related.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

SB, good post. I think Hageman will move up above pick 29 for sure.  He is a physical freak and I know teams will overdraft.  Tuitt is a possiblity in Rd1. Jones, Quarles, Ferguson in RD 2 are excellent picks. Nix will probably go the latest to GB RD1, but he needs to be healthy and at a decent weight.

Good QB analysis, are you thinking NE definitely moves Mallett?

Thnx for the added info on Nix,Jones and Quarles. I think the better athelete is Hageman. As for the b/u QB situation I do believe that the Patriots have to make a decision on Mallett's future whether it's here in New England or in Houston or Jax, or even Cleveland. I believe if any of those three teams would offer their 2nd round draft choice and maybe a 5th round pick this year, that BB would be hard pressed not to take the deal, I say they have to include both picks because of Mallett's training and what they used to get him was a high 3rd round pick. As for the QB's I mentioneed I did so based upon what little I've seen on film for second tier QB's, I also wouldn't be adverse to the Patriots taking McCarron in the 3rd round if he's still on the board although he seems to think he will be a top 20 draft choice, I don't see him being drafted before late 2nd or third rounds. I only saw a little of Vaughn but those stats just jump off the page for me...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Updated Big 53 Board:

Rd 1 (8)

OT/OG- Zack Martin- ND

Rd 1-2 (5)

DT- Timmy Jernigan- FSU

CB/S- Kyle Fuller- VT

OLB- Kyle Van Noy- BYU

Rd 2 (12)

DT- DaQuan Jones- PSU

DT- Ego Ferguson- LSU

CB- Bradley Roby- OSU

S- Deone Bucannon- WSU

Rd 2-3 (3)

QB- AJ McCarron- Alabama

CB- EJ Gaines- Missouri

Rd 3 (10)

S- Antone Exum- VT

TE- CJ Fiedorowicz- Iowa

DT- Ed Stinson- Alabama

Rd 4-7 (15)

QB- Bryn Renner- UNC

ILB- Glenn Carson- PSU

RB- Alfred Blue- LSU

Thanks, as far as sleepers go, Lousiville DE/OLB Marcus Smith is one of the best players that I've seen on tape this season... he's currently listed as a Rd 2/3 kid, but I see an eventual Rd 1 talent.

As for kids that I think could move up a bit, LTU DT Jason Ellis, Pitt S Jason Hendricks and UNC QB Bryn Renner are a few of kids that are rated towards the end of Day 3, but could end up as mid round picks, IMO.  I'm also high on Oklahoma State S Shamiel Gary, see him listed as a 7th Rd/URFA type, but I think he's a mid round kid too, based on the tape that I've seen.  He wasn't getting much PT late in the year, though I haven't been able to figure out if it was injury or performance related.

I would be thrilled if the Patriots came away with Hageman or Tuit in the 1rst round and could make a trade to get an early 2nd round pick so they could take Pryor, Skov or Niklas,Amaro, or Sefarin type TE. If not they can always wait until the third round and snag Coleman and make him into a larger version of Hernandez. However if they are going to improve after TE they really need defensive help whether through the draft or free agency.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

http://www.statesman.com/feed/sports/football/2014-nfl-draft-what-level-of-performance-can-be/fW76D/

2014 NFL Draft: What Level Of Performance Can Be Expected From Rookie Defensive Tackles?

An analysis geared toward the Cowboys, but goes through what to expect when drafting a DT.

Bottomline: Less than 50% will start their first year, but if drafted in the 1st or second rd they will make an impact.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/1/9/5288028/nfl-draft-2014-finding-playmaking-defensive-tackles-for-the-dallas-cowboys?utm_source=sbnation&utm_medium=mustreads&utm_campaign=blogs

Another interesting article on DT Production.  2013 Class NE's Chris Jones led all DT rookies with 6 sacks; however last in run defense.  They also look at the 2014 class.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I now want the Pats to draft for the following positions...

DT - Kelly is expected to come back. VW might not. Even if he does, he probably comes back later in the season, and may not be the same anymore. Cris Jones is not a starter. I do not think they should expect Armstead either. They need to get big, fast and nasty in the middle.

CB - Arrington should not be left to defend outside. With so many teams having their own uptempo Os, that's almost impossible to do. Anybody who is good enough to defend only the slot is not good enough. This is a key role especially if Talib keeps disappearing due to being hurt

OG/C - As with the DL, I want really big and really tough interior OL. Mankins has done well in the past years, but the interior getting dominated seems a pretty consistent theme on playoff losses (I still can't believe how easy it was Knighton got past Mankins for that sack on the 4th and 2).

TE - TB needs big targets out there, especially in the playoffs. IDK if TB's accuracy is declining. All I know is that he threw balls that were not spot on. Gronk... a bonus if he comes back healthy. They need to acquire big targets for TB.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

The Next Jamie Collins

It’s still not totally clear what position Florida St. LB Christian Jones (6-3⅜, 234) is best-suited to play in the pros but he’s the type of dynamic athlete that you bring into the fold and figure out what to do with later. Jones is officially listed as an inside linebacker this week but he also saw action at both outside linebacker and defensive end during his college career. Blockers simply couldn’t handle Jones’ incredible speed and explosiveness as a pass rusher today and he also flashed a lighting quick spin move that proved to be extremely effective. Just ask Georgia TE Arthur Lynch. Each team may evaluate Jones differently based on their scheme but regardless of whether it’s an even or odd front there should be a place for a rangy playmaker with pro bloodlines such as Jones. In many ways Jones is a clone of Jamie Collins, who was a second round pick of the Patriots a year ago. Don't be surprised if other teams around the league now start searching for their very own version of Collins after the way he performed in the recent playoffs for New England.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Practices/South-Tuesday.php

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kezzamuzza. Show kezzamuzza's posts

MB

Mentioned David Fales, QB strongly a few weeks back if you remember. You also liked his teammate Chandler Jones WR who played well in the Shrine.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

I now want the Pats to draft for the following positions...

DT - Kelly is expected to come back. VW might not. Even if he does, he probably comes back later in the season, and may not be the same anymore. Cris Jones is not a starter. I do not think they should expect Armstead either. They need to get big, fast and nasty in the middle.

CB - Arrington should not be left to defend outside. With so many teams having their own uptempo Os, that's almost impossible to do. Anybody who is good enough to defend only the slot is not good enough. This is a key role especially if Talib keeps disappearing due to being hurt

OG/C - As with the DL, I want really big and really tough interior OL. Mankins has done well in the past years, but the interior getting dominated seems a pretty consistent theme on playoff losses (I still can't believe how easy it was Knighton got past Mankins for that sack on the 4th and 2).

TE - TB needs big targets out there, especially in the playoffs. IDK if TB's accuracy is declining. All I know is that he threw balls that were not spot on. Gronk... a bonus if he comes back healthy. They need to acquire big targets for TB.

That's the fun part, a case could be made for any of those positions, as well as S and edge rusher.  Generally speaking, I'd look to the trenches first, so DT/OL, as well as TE.  To me, the unlikely grand slam lands them Irish Chocoloate, AKA, Louis Nix III... but if they come away with Zack Martin, Tuitt, Hageman, Niklas or Amaro, then fans should be very... very... VERY happy with that outcome.

Heck, I'd be happy if they doubled up on DT's in Rd 1/2, similar to what Carolina did in 2013 (Lotulelei/S/hort)... and not concidently, they were near the top of the league on Total, passing and rush defense this season.  It all starts up front... as we know.

I can only imagine how different the D would look if you mixed in some combo of the below with VW/Kelly:

Rd 1:  Nix, Tuitt, Hageman or even Jernigan.

Rd 2:  Jones, Quarles or Ferguson.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to kezzamuzza's comment:

MB

Mentioned David Fales, QB strongly a few weeks back if you remember. You also liked his teammate Chandler Jones WR who played well in the Shrine.

I do remember, yes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/1/9/5288028/nfl-draft-2014-finding-playmaking-defensive-tackles-for-the-dallas-cowboys?utm_source=sbnation&utm_medium=mustreads&utm_campaign=blogs

Another interesting article on DT Production.  2013 Class NE's Chris Jones led all DT rookies with 6 sacks; however last in run defense.  They also look at the 2014 class.

Great article, thanks for posting!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I think Alabama S Vinnie Sunseri (6-0 210) is a player that could interest BB on Day 3.  He was a starting S for the Tide before he went down with a knee injury.  He's a smart, active S, with good read/react that at the very least could become a core ST player.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Ouch... tough break for Oklahoma CB Aaron Colvin... gotta feel bad for the kid.  Some team will get some good value as he'll prob go on Day 3 now.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/21/report-oklahoma-cb-aaron-colvin-tears-acl-at-senior-bowl/

Sections
Shortcuts