In response to Faucetman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1. TE
    2. Big Physical WR with RAC ability
    3. DT
    4. MLB
    5. Interior OL

[/QUOTE]

They should definitely have their pick from a solid group of TE/WR/DT/OL at the back end of Rd 1.  

[/QUOTE]

I agree but can't see them looking WR there unless someone unbelievable in every aspect fell in their lap.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Alabama S Vinnie Sunseri (6-0 210) is a player that could interest BB on Day 3.  He was a starting S for the Tide before he went down with a knee injury.  He's a smart, active S, with good read/react that at the very least could become a core ST player.

[/QUOTE]

Glad you brought him up. Was going to bring him up. A little surprising he declared coming off the ACL tear, but I think he would be a really good fit on day 3 like you said (4th/5th round). I was a huge fan of his prior to his injury.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to sportslover21's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think Alabama S Vinnie Sunseri (6-0 210) is a player that could interest BB on Day 3.  He was a starting S for the Tide before he went down with a knee injury.  He's a smart, active S, with good read/react that at the very least could become a core ST player.

[/QUOTE]

Glad you brought him up. Was going to bring him up. A little surprising he declared coming off the ACL tear, but I think he would be a really good fit on day 3 like you said (4th/5th round). I was a huge fan of his prior to his injury.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I too was a bit surprised at first, but with the talent they've brought in at S, it was probably a smart pay on his part because he was a likely backup next season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

There was a good article out there today somewhere about the probable reason on so many younger guys leaving college early to go to the NFL.

That being, starting at a younger age working toward hopefully a bigger 2nd contract if staying healthy and proving themselves a good player.

I hadn't really thought of that originally. I think we mostly all thought they might stay in school longer since the really big money was not sitting there waiting for them once the slotting system went in place.

Probably very good for all the teams picking at the back end of the round.

Although I think that probably raises the probability level of more misses too. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

Thanks, as far as sleepers go, Lousiville DE/OLB Marcus Smith is one of the best players that I've seen on tape this season... he's currently listed as a Rd 2/3 kid, but I see an eventual Rd 1 talent.

As for kids that I think could move up a bit, LTU DT Jason Ellis, Pitt S Jason Hendricks and UNC QB Bryn Renner are a few of kids that are rated towards the end of Day 3, but could end up as mid round picks, IMO.  I'm also high on Oklahoma State S Shamiel Gary, see him listed as a 7th Rd/URFA type, but I think he's a mid round kid too, based on the tape that I've seen.  He wasn't getting much PT late in the year, though I haven't been able to figure out if it was injury or performance related.

[/QUOTE]

I also really really like M Smith. Another kid that caught my eye during the Shrine game was Will Clarke. He made 17 TFLs in 2013. He does move like a 17 TFL DE.

Di you mean Justin Ellis? I do like him. I don't rememebr if he played much in the Shrine, but I did see him rush the QB. That play showed that the 345 pounder can keep his legs active. Good for rushing and pushing the pocket.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

Updated Big 53 Board:

Rd 1 (8)

OT/OG- Zack Martin- ND

DT- Ra'shede Hageman- Minnesota

DE/OLB- Marcus Smith *Added 1/5/14*

S- Calvin Pryor- Lousiville *Added 1/17/14*

WR- Allen Robinson- PSU *Added 1/1/14*

TE- Troy Niklas- ND *Added 1/12/14*

TE- Jace Amaro- TTU *Added 1/17/14*

DE/OLB- Trent Murphy- Stanford

Rd 1-2 (5)

WR/TE- Kelvin Benjamin- FSU *Added 12/11/13*

DT- Timmy Jernigan- FSU

CB/S- Kyle Fuller- VT

OLB- Kyle Van Noy- BYU

WR- Brandin Cooks- *Added 1/1/14*

[/QUOTE]

You really think Fuller stays that high even with the injury? Dang! He's my favorite CB. I was hoping he'd drop to a range where BB might pick up a CB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thanks, as far as sleepers go, Lousiville DE/OLB Marcus Smith is one of the best players that I've seen on tape this season... he's currently listed as a Rd 2/3 kid, but I see an eventual Rd 1 talent.

As for kids that I think could move up a bit, LTU DT Jason Ellis, Pitt S Jason Hendricks and UNC QB Bryn Renner are a few of kids that are rated towards the end of Day 3, but could end up as mid round picks, IMO.  I'm also high on Oklahoma State S Shamiel Gary, see him listed as a 7th Rd/URFA type, but I think he's a mid round kid too, based on the tape that I've seen.  He wasn't getting much PT late in the year, though I haven't been able to figure out if it was injury or performance related.

[/QUOTE]

I also really really like M Smith. Another kid that caught my eye during the Shrine game was Will Clarke. He made 17 TFLs in 2013. He does move like a 17 TFL DE.

Di you mean Justin Ellis? I do like him. I don't rememebr if he played much in the Shrine, but I did see him rush the QB. That play showed that the 345 pounder can keep his legs active. Good for rushing and pushing the pocket.

[/QUOTE]

Clarke def flashed during the Shrine game... really good length/burst... intringuing kid to follow moving forward!

Yeah, type, my bad Justin Ellis.  Def 2-gap potential with a strong bull rush as you mentioned.  He's playing in the Senior Bowl too... look forward to seeing what he can do.  Moves very well for a big fatty.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Updated Big 53 Board:

Rd 1 (8)

OT/OG- Zack Martin- ND

Rd 1-2 (5)

DT- Timmy Jernigan- FSU

CB/S- Kyle Fuller- VT

OLB- Kyle Van Noy- BYU

[/QUOTE]

You really think Fuller stays that high even with the injury? Dang! He's my favorite CB. I was hoping he'd drop to a range where BB might pick up a CB.

[/QUOTE]

My projection was based more on talent that expected draft position, ha. He could very well be an option with their Rd 2 pick.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There was a good article out there today somewhere about the probable reason on so many younger guys leaving college early to go to the NFL.

That being, starting at a younger age working toward hopefully a bigger 2nd contract if staying healthy and proving themselves a good player.

I hadn't really thought of that originally. I think we mostly all thought they might stay in school longer since the really big money was not sitting there waiting for them once the slotting system went in place.

Probably very good for all the teams picking at the back end of the round.

Although I think that probably raises the probability level of more misses too. 

[/QUOTE]

Certainly makes sense... maximize your earning potential now as you can always finish up your degree while playing or at a later date.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Updated Big 53 Board:

Rd 1 (8)

OT/OG- Zack Martin- ND

Rd 1-2 (5)

DT- Timmy Jernigan- FSU

CB/S- Kyle Fuller- VT

OLB- Kyle Van Noy- BYU

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My projection was based more on talent that expected draft position, ha. He could very well be an option with their Rd 2 pick.

[/QUOTE]

I might agree with Seattle, because of injury I see him dropping to the back end of day 2 very early day 3 type of pick. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Updated Big 53 Board:

Rd 1 (8)

OT/OG- Zack Martin- ND

Rd 1-2 (5)

DT- Timmy Jernigan- FSU

CB/S- Kyle Fuller- VT

OLB- Kyle Van Noy- BYU

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I might agree with Seattle, because of injury I see him dropping to the back end of day 2 very early day 3 type of pick. 

[/QUOTE]

Could be solid value for both he and Exum.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree though I think I like Exum more, just for size. I'm looking at Exum as a SS that can get into the box but has good coverage ability for RB's and TE's

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree though I think I like Exum more, just for size. I'm looking at Exum as a SS that can get into the box but has good coverage ability for RB's and TE's

[/QUOTE]

I'm with you... love Exum.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

A question for discussion.

If you were the Patriots and you had decided you wanted to address the DL in the 1st round and you knew you had to make a move to get either Hageman or Nix(or some other DL). Which player would you make the move for? Assume for the sake of discussion that both players are close enough in talent to each other that the decision is really about skillset and importance of role played for the fit most needed. ...and why?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

If you were the Patriots and you had decided you wanted to address the DL in the 1st round and you knew you had to make a move to get either Hageman or Nix(or some other DL). Which player would you make the move for? Assume for the sake of discussion that both players are close enough in talent to each other that the decision is really about skillset and importance of role played for the fit most needed. ...and why?

I'd go Irish Chocolate all day... it's just incredibly tough to find 34 NT's with his combo of size, power, athleticism, range and movement ability.  Hageman is an athletic freak, with elite size/length/athleticism for his role as well, but I think Nix and his projected position is more of a premium.  Tough to run a successful 34 without that big, space eating fatty in the middle.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I'd go Irish Chocolate all day... it's just incredibly tough to find 34 NT's with his combo of size, power, athleticism, range and movement ability.  Hageman is an athletic freak, with elite size/length/athleticism for his role as well, but I think Nix and his projected position is more of a premium.  Tough to run a successful 34 without that big, space eating fatty in the middle.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, I would go Nix.  If he is healthy and the knee will not be a problem, Nix 100%.  Furthermore we don't know with certainty the VW situation or Kelly.  Nix would stabilize that front and push the pocket.  Dream situation is we get Nix at 29, Tuitt or Hageman at 33 after trading Mallett to Houston.  It is good to dream!

If they don't get get 1 of the big three (Nix, Hageman, Tuitt)  Ellis, Coleman and Stephen have been getting really good reviews from the Senior bowl.  Great size in all. Maybe combine them with Ego Ferguson or A Johnson or D Jones.

An option not related to the question is sign Linval Joseph (NT/DT) and draft Hageman or Tuitt. ( of course, VW will be gone or vet min, w/incentives.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree with MB all things being equal and you have to move the same distance go with Nix. However Nix is a top 15 pick Hageman is an 20-40 pick so If given the choice of having to move or not I would go Hageman and use the pick you saved from not moving up on a SS like Exum

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Another question.

Do you guys believe Armstead with be healthy enough to play again? That whole infection things is very mysterious. 

If he is does he make the team? Do you believe him to mostly likely be better than Siliga, Jones, and Vellano? Obviously no one really knows but just gut opinion.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

anyone have an opinion on Tyler Larsen?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

How's the Martavis Bryant kid from Clemson?

I remember watching part of the Clemson BC game thinking the Clemson WR's were really good but the QB couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a base fiddle half the time.

Ofcourse BC never has any speed at skill positions so lots of WR's look good against them.

So the argument of he played opposite Watkins aside what does anyone think of him?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

lol I had started to write about Hageman a number of times over the past few days and always just seemed to blather as it was hard to put in words how he made me feel watching him.

Today someone else I read online found my words for me.

"Ra’Shede Hageman is easy to like as a prospect but tough to fall in love with."

He's very maddening to watch. Some coach with a big ego will draft him for his upside and try to fix him up. He needs a lot of kicks in the rear end. He's sloopy and undisciplined but a great athlete for his size.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

well with the draft being moved we have to wait until May 8th this year for the draft, by that time the Sox should be in first place for about a month.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

From Greg Bedard SI.com,

12. Nebraska CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste (6-3, 220) should certainly be helped by the recent rage about bigger NFL defensive backs (Seahawks) but he’s got a long way to go with his footwork. He looked similar to Patriots bust Ras-I Dowling.

Ouch!! the Dowling reference!  IMO, I like SJB more as a safety.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Another question.

Do you guys believe Armstead with be healthy enough to play again? That whole infection things is very mysterious. 

If he is does he make the team? Do you believe him to mostly likely be better than Siliga, Jones, and Vellano? Obviously no one really knows but just gut opinion.

[/QUOTE]

I'm treating Armstead like Pyror, in otherwords he has to earn his spot this summer. Right now he's nothing more than a day 3 pick because that's what he's being paid like. However, I do think only 2 of those 4 will make the team and how things ended Siliga might be in but Vellano and Jones got crushed once teams figured them out. Though, Vellano got more reps at the end of the year showing he was better all around while Chris Jones was a 1 trick pony and really needs to work on a bunch of rushing moves in the offseason. I still want them to draft a top of the line DT because really we can't have another year with 3 JAGs as spot starters.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

From Greg Bedard SI.com,

12. Nebraska CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste (6-3, 220) should certainly be helped by the recent rage about bigger NFL defensive backs (Seahawks) but he’s got a long way to go with his footwork. He looked similar to Patriots bust Ras-I Dowling.

Ouch!! the Dowling reference!  IMO, I like SJB more as a safety.

[/QUOTE]

Rofl, well you know you're known for something if you got referenced, in this case not in a good way

Sections
Shortcuts