***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

lol I had started to write about Hageman a number of times over the past few days and always just seemed to blather as it was hard to put in words how he made me feel watching him.

Today someone else I read online found my words for me.

"Ra’Shede Hageman is easy to like as a prospect but tough to fall in love with."

He's very maddening to watch. Some coach with a big ego will draft him for his upside and try to fix him up. He needs a lot of kicks in the rear end. He's sloopy and undisciplined but a great athlete for his size.

Yes, that means I'll get my man and BB will take him!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

anyone have an opinion on Tyler Larsen?

Very strong run blocker, loves to get into the second level and hit people but needs work on his footwork blocking backwards and isn't the strongest pass blocker. If we still had Scar I would say he was someone Scar could work with, because the physical ability is there but the kid has some issue when asked to stand his ground against quicker DT's who get under his pads and use leverage to drive him backwards or multiple defenders where he can't get both hands on them. Great in man because of shear power but in zone he gets his head turned looking for the block to make.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

From Greg Bedard SI.com,

12. Nebraska CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste (6-3, 220) should certainly be helped by the recent rage about bigger NFL defensive backs (Seahawks) but he’s got a long way to go with his footwork. He looked similar to Patriots bust Ras-I Dowling.

Ouch!! the Dowling reference!  IMO, I like SJB more as a safety.

Beddard must have forgotten he was lining up as the starter before his history of nagging injuries kept right on tagging along.

I only ever heard anyhting about his movement issues AFTER trying to come back from that season ending hip injury.

Thats kind of a bad reference in my opinion, especially when I saw the Ras-I reference my first thought is that who ever he is talking about must have a history of nagging injuries.

Reading the different comments from guys at the sr bowl practices on that kid, he certainly seems to be somewhat polarizing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

anyone have an opinion on Tyler Larsen?

Very strong run blocker, loves to get into the second level and hit people but needs work on his footwork blocking backwards and isn't the strongest pass blocker. If we still had Scar I would say he was someone Scar could work with, because the physical ability is there but the kid has some issue when asked to stand his ground against quicker DT's who get under his pads and use leverage to drive him backwards or multiple defenders where he can't get both hands on them. Great in man because of shear power but in zone he gets his head turned looking for the block to make.

Eng, very good review by you. Fits well with other draftniks.

http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/articles/2014-senior-bowl-wednesday-north-practice-notes.html

-Utah State center Tyler Larsen had a strong showing during one on one’s, particularly against the (likely) biggest winner of the week, Aaron Donald.  He was exceptional in keeping Donald at bay consistently fighting for leverage through his block and sliding cleanly to mirror Donald’s counters.  While his arm length is a concern (30.5 inches), Larsen wins by battling underneath the reach of bigger interior linemen and constantly moving his hands.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Maybe he drops,

http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/articles/2014-senior-bowl-wednesday-north-practice-notes.html

Minnesota defensive tackle Ra’Shede Hageman is massive but he’s not as limber as teams might prefer.  From drills to team sessions, Hageman lacked explosion and had issues finishing the entire day.  He was noticeably frustrated during one on ones as he struggled to shed blocks and was eventually pancaked badly by Mewhort toward the end of the session.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

From Greg Bedard SI.com,

12. Nebraska CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste (6-3, 220) should certainly be helped by the recent rage about bigger NFL defensive backs (Seahawks) but he’s got a long way to go with his footwork. He looked similar to Patriots bust Ras-I Dowling.

And a non-physical S at that.  Kid doesn't really play to his size from a physicality standpoint.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

lol I had started to write about Hageman a number of times over the past few days and always just seemed to blather as it was hard to put in words how he made me feel watching him.

"Ra’Shede Hageman is easy to like as a prospect but tough to fall in love with."

He's very maddening to watch. Some coach with a big ego will draft him for his upside and try to fix him up. He needs a lot of kicks in the rear end. He's sloopy and undisciplined but a great athlete for his size.

Below are my thoughts on Hageman from earlier in the month, when compared to JJ Watt:

"RE: Hageman

I think he has the athleticism, measurables and upside of a Watt, but he's further off in his development than JJ was at this stage... and I think that delta in development will show come draft day... Watt went of the board 11th overall, where Hagemen will be off the board somewhere in the Top 35-40, though very likely in Rd 1.

While I'd be more comfortable taking him in Rd 2 and targeting more of a sure thing in Rd 1. (i.e. ND OL Zack Martin), I'd be OK if BB/NC took him inside the Top 32 as at his best, he might be the best overall prospect in the entire class... destroying O-lineman like Reggie White vs. Max Lane... though the maddening part is he could be handled with a single block by an OG on the next.  If the lights fully come one... look out.

At the end of the day, I'm starting to think that BB/NC could view Hageman as the defensive equivalent to Nate Solder as a long, athletic specimen that's not a finished product, but demonstrates immense upside and physical ability."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Another question.

Do you guys believe Armstead with be healthy enough to play again? That whole infection things is very mysterious. 

If he is does he make the team? Do you believe him to mostly likely be better than Siliga, Jones, and Vellano? Obviously no one really knows but just gut opinion.

I'm treating Armstead like Pyror, in otherwords he has to earn his spot this summer. Right now he's nothing more than a day 3 pick because that's what he's being paid like. However, I do think only 2 of those 4 will make the team and how things ended Siliga might be in but Vellano and Jones got crushed once teams figured them out. Though, Vellano got more reps at the end of the year showing he was better all around while Chris Jones was a 1 trick pony and really needs to work on a bunch of rushing moves in the offseason. I still want them to draft a top of the line DT because really we can't have another year with 3 JAGs as spot starters.

+1 My feelings as well.

1.  I'm not counting on Armstead.

2.  Beef up the trenches with high round talent.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

From Greg Bedard SI.com,

Beddard must have forgotten he was lining up as the starter before his history of nagging injuries kept right on tagging along.

I only ever heard anyhting about his movement issues AFTER trying to come back from that season ending hip injury.

Thats kind of a bad reference in my opinion, especially when I saw the Ras-I reference my first thought is that who ever he is talking about must have a history of nagging injuries.

Reading the different comments from guys at the sr bowl practices on that kid, he certainly seems to be somewhat polarizing.

Amazing the different opinions, 

-Nebraska’s Stanley Jean-Baptiste likely has defensive back coaches’ mouth-watering after this week’s practice, and he showed that tremendous upside today. He sinks and cuts remarkably well in off coverage, has the length and willingness to be physical in press, and makes up speed vertically to protect against faster receivers. He has first round tools, but team’s will still need to answer just how much development he needs before he can be an instant starter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Below are my thoughts on Hageman from earlier in the month, when compared to JJ Watt:

I think he has the athleticism, measurables and upside of a Watt, but he's further off in his development than JJ was at this stage... and I think that delta in development will show come draft day... Watt went of the board 11th overall, where Hagemen will be off the board somewhere in the Top 35-40, though very likely in Rd 1.

While I'd be more comfortable taking him in Rd 2 and targeting more of a sure thing in Rd 1. (i.e. ND OL Zack Martin), I'd be OK if BB/NC took him inside the Top 32 as at his best, he might be the best overall prospect in the entire class... destroying O-lineman like Reggie White vs. Max Lane... though the maddening part is he could be handled with a single block by an OG on the next.  If the lights fully come one... look out.

At the end of the day, I'm starting to think that BB/NC could view Hageman as the defensive equivalent to Nate Solder as a long, athletic specimen that's not a finished product, but demonstrates immense upside and physical ability."

That is very well thought out. I wasn't crazy about Solder coming out either. He's done better than I thought but Brady also makes all his lineman look better for the most part.

That's always part of the equation as a very far removed outsider in looking at these kids.

You really don't know who's a "football" dummy or will exhaust you from having to deal with them and you don't really know who was hurt or helped by their specific positional coaching that they had.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

How's the Martavis Bryant kid from Clemson?

I remember watching part of the Clemson BC game thinking the Clemson WR's were really good but the QB couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a base fiddle half the time.

Ofcourse BC never has any speed at skill positions so lots of WR's look good against them.

So the argument of he played opposite Watkins aside what does anyone think of him?

I like Bryant.  Sure he played opposite Watkins, but teams (from the tape that I've seen) ran a lot of cover 2 zone/off coverage, so there was S help on both sides of the field.  He doesn't appear that advanced a route runner, but he has a good burst off the line, projects as a deep threat and demontrates very ball skills and body control... looks like a very good RZ option with his ability to highpoint/win contested throws.  He'll need to show a more consistent effort as a blocker, but is at least adequate in this depart, using his frame, length and wide bass to wall off/stock block defenders.  Had some academic issues earlier in his career I believe.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

That is very well thought out. I wasn't crazy about Solder coming out either. He's done better than I thought but Brady also makes all his lineman look better for the most part.

That's always part of the equation as a very far removed outsider in looking at these kids.

You really don't know who's a "football" dummy or will exhaust you from having to deal with them and you don't really know who was hurt or helped by their specific positional coaching that they had.

Thanks, man.  Yeah I think you hit on the key point... measurables and ability can only take you so far... the rest is left up to a desire (or lack there of) to be the best.  Hageman certainly has All-Pro upside/talent.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yes and no. I mean around here we've become very familar with certain coaches and how they can get the most or the least out of certain positions. For instance in a Seban D you essentially know he got the most out of his guys so what you see in college is close to what you'll get in the pro's. In BC, you know how the OL coach trains his guys. Very indepth hand placements with emphisis on leverage and balance. We know that for instance with Chandler Jones that pass rushing game planning wasn't a strength of Marrone and Shafer as DC concentrates on more overall defense so while his stats didn't reflect it Jones had more to give from natural ability then what he learned with the Orange.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Draft Nix (trade up).  Plop him next to a "healthy" Wilfork.  No one will ever run the football again.  Nink and Chandler will both have double digit sacks.  That is my contribution to this thread.  LMAO.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Yes and no. I mean around here we've become very familar with certain coaches and how they can get the most or the least out of certain positions. For instance in a Seban D you essentially know he got the most out of his guys so what you see in college is close to what you'll get in the pro's. In BC, you know how the OL coach trains his guys. Very indepth hand placements with emphisis on leverage and balance. We know that for instance with Chandler Jones that pass rushing game planning wasn't a strength of Marrone and Shafer as DC concentrates on more overall defense so while his stats didn't reflect it Jones had more to give from natural ability then what he learned with the Orange.

For me persoanaly its more no i guess I would say.

There are a few like BC lineman of the past being pretty solid. Purdue producing many good DE's, etc.

I have a limited feel for what schools consistently produce very good players at a specific position.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Draft Nix (trade up).  Plop him next to a "healthy" Wilfork.  No one will ever run the football again.  Nink and Chandler will both have double digit sacks.  That is my contribution to this thread.  LMAO.

I agree completely.  Nix and Wilfork would be awesome side by side, and they could take turns filling in for each other as NT in the 3-4. 

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/DT/Louis-Nix.php

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Man, it's tough to watch Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks and not think... Randall Cobb.  It's also fair to say that I may have been an advocate of drafting Cobb back in 2011.

Also, I've said it before, but I don't see a WR in this class with more attributes that BB values than Cooks.  

Huge fan of this kid's game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

That may be one move that would be universally praised by everyone on BDCI'd certainly love it)... though with the amount of negativity that flows around this place, I'm sure there would be a certain faction that'd find something wrong with the move haha.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Was really impressed with Nevada OL Joel Bitonio on tape... very Mankins-ish in both appearance and on field temperment... heck, he even wears #70.  Thick solid build, very good feet, kid displays the nasty that you look for and can be spotted driving his man 5-10 yards down the field and looked pretty darn good when isolated on potential Top 5 pick, Anthony Barr.  He was a LT at Nevada, but projects to OG or swing T at the NFL level (33 inch arms).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

This would be a homerun draft, IMO.  I've been on Martin and Jones for quite a while, most want CJ, I love the late additions of Murray and Sunseri and the Brandon Coleman pick would excite a lot of fans.  

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2014/01/2014-patriots-mock-draft-senior-bowl-edition.html#more-28798

First Round – 29th pick

After eschewing a first-round pick in 2013 in order to select Jamie Collins, Logan Ryan, Josh Boyce and part of LaGarrette Blount via a pretty lop-sided trade with the Minnesota Vikings, the Patriots are set up to pick talent over depth in 2014.

With Ryan Wendell a free agent and Dan Connolly and Logan Mankins with cap-heavy contracts, the Patriots might be looking to add to their talent pool along the offensive line.

Zack Martin (OL, Notre Dame) would give the Patriots a plethora of options on how to structure their offensive line going forward. A starting five of perhaps Nate Solder at LT, Mankins at LG, Connolly at C, Martin at RG and Sebastian Vollmer at RT looks pretty menacing. Having Marcus Cannon as a backup is just icing on the cake.

Martin projects as a guard due to his arms length, but he has the feet to play outside at tackle as well. With Vollmer and Solder’s injury histories, you can’t have enough protection for Tom Brady.

It isn’t a sexy pick, but Martin gives the Patriots exactly what they need. If the Patriot do wait on offensive line help, Xavier Su’a-Filo from UCLA and Weston Richburg from Colorado State are likely targets.

Second Round (via HOU) – 33rd pick

With Bill O’Brien in Houston, rumors abound that Ryan Mallett could be on his way to the Lone Star State. If New England is able to move him for the 33rd pick in the draft, I don’t think they’ll hesitate.

Two things Patriots fans hear a lot about are Rutgers players and big wide receivers. Brandon Coleman (WR, Rutgers) is the combination of both worlds.

His 6’6″, 220-pound frame alone would allow him to compete in the NFL, but he has exhibited some legitimate receiver skills over the past two seasons. He adjusts well to poorly-thrown balls—a requisite at Rutgers—and uses his physical skills to gain separation both at the line of scrimmage and down the field. Coleman has also shown that he can be a willing and able blocker.

Coleman needs to work on his consistency in route-running, concentration and ball-security, but I think many of his problems stemmed from the mediocre offense he had to deal with in college.

While Coleman is certainly a top-20 pick based on his physical skills, I think he’ll fall further down the board due to his lack of college production. Getting him in the second round would be a steal.

Second Round – 61st pick

Sealver Siliga played well, and the duo of Chris Jones and Joe Vellano filled in admirably as rookies, the defensive interior was an issue in 2013. While the return of Vince Wilfork, Tommy Kelly and perhaps even Armond Armstead will be helpful in 2014, Bill Belichick will have a tough time passing up on a disruptive defensive lineman.

DaQuan Jones (DL, Penn State) would add another strong force in the middle. At 6’4″ and over 320 pounds, Jones is adept at fending off multiple blockers in the run game. He led the Big 10 conference with 11.5 tackles for loss. When singled, he can walk back defenders into the pocket, creating sack opportunities for edge rushers.

Jones could be used inside as either a 1-tech or 3-tech. He also has the edge-setting ability to play as a 5-tech when called upon. Wherever he is used, Jones will be a solid member of the rotation.

Third Round – 93rd pick

The Patriots need for tight ends is hardly a secret. Rob Gronkowki is coming off a major knee injury, while Michael Hoomanawanui and Matthew Mulligan are both scheduled to be free agents.

C.J. Fiedorowicz (TE, Iowa) reminds me a lot of Steelers tight end Heath Miller. He is solid—not flashy like Jace Amaro or Eric Ebron—in the passing game excelling in the red zone and on schort and intermediate routes. He isn’t a huge threat on 25-yard seam routes like Gronkowski due to his 4.8 speed, but he is able to present a big target down the field with his 6’7″, 265-pound frame.

Where Miller and Fiedorowicz really provide extra value is in their blocking. Like Gronkowski, Fiedorowicz is like a third offensive tackle on the field. He is a devastating blocker in the run game and has movement skills to slide with edge rushers when asked to stay in and block on passing plays.

He was schooled under Kirk Ferentz, who coached with Belichick in Cleveland, and Brian Ferentz, who coached tight ends in New England during Gronkowski’s record-setting season. D.J. Hernandez—yes, that Hernandez family—was his positional coach at Iowa.

With all those connections and positive traits, Fiedorowicz is a very likely pick come May, even if they have to move up a bit to secure his rights.

Fourth Round

Brandon Spikes has probably played his last game for New England. They should look to replace him with a quicker linebacker that can do some of the same things that Spikes was tasked with.

Christian Kirksey (LB, Iowa) might be undersized as a Patriots linebacker—he measured in at 6’2″ and 234 pounds—but he showed the ability in college to make an impact on the other side of the line of scrimmage.

Like Spikes, Kirksey has excellent timing when blitzing and rarely misses when he has a chance at an impact play in the backfield. Unlike Spikes, Kirksey is fast enough—probably a 4.7 player—to make more of an impact in the passing game.

Jerod Mayo, Jamie Collins and Dont’a Hightower on running downs, with Collins/Mayo and Kirksey in on passing downs is a big improvement over 2013. The additional depth would allow defensive coordinator Matt Patricia to once again hide his defensive players’ deficiencies.

In addition to helping on passing downs, Kirksey would be a core-four special teams player—a trait that can’t go unnoticed with Belichick around.

Fifth Round (via two 6th rounders)

If a quarterback that the Patriots like falls into the late fourth or early fifth round area, they may look to trade some selections to go up and secure their guy.

Aaron Murray (QB, Georgia) doesn’t have the same size as many of Belichick’s quarterback picks, but his experience, leadership and competitive drive should endear him to coaching staffs.

Murray was probably a late day-two pick before tearing his ACL during his senior season. In the fifth round, Murray would be an excellent value.

If the Patriots do move Mallett and pick up a rookie like Murray, I would expect them to add a veteran quarterback—think Chad Henne—that could come in and win a game or two if Tom Brady had a schort-term injury.

Sixth Round (Projected Compensatory)

Bill Belichick likes to target special teams on day three of the draft. Nate Ebner, Jake Ingram, Zoltan Mesko, Stephen Gostkowski, Matthew Slater… the list goes on and on.

Vinnie Sunseri (SS, Alabama) would continue that trend, but also give the Patriots more upside than Ebner gave them at the safety position. Defensive backs schooled by Nick Saban would certainly have a leg up on learning the daunting Patriots defense.

Like Murray, he is recovering from a torn ACL and could even be placed on the NFI-list for a year as a sort of redshirt season.

Seventh Round

You just can’t replace an Aaron Hernandez. You could try with Oregon’s Colt Lyerla, but you are getting the good and the bad there as well. Gator Hoskins (TE/FB, Marshall) reminds me a lot of Marcel Reece and could do a lot of things that James Develin and Michael Hoomanawanui do with some increased explosiveness on the outside.

Hoskins scored 13 touchdowns last year for the Thundering Herd and would be an additional red zone threat for Tom Brady to exploit.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

This would be a homerun draft, IMO.  I've been on Martin and Jones for quite a while, most want CJ, I love the late additions of Murray and Sunseri and the Brandon Coleman pick would excite a lot of fans.  

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2014/01/2014-patriots-mock-draft-senior-bowl-edition.html#more-28798

First Round – 29th pick

After eschewing a first-round pick in 2013 in order to select Jamie Collins, Logan Ryan, Josh Boyce and part of LaGarrette Blount via a pretty lop-sided trade with the Minnesota Vikings, the Patriots are set up to pick talent over depth in 2014.

With Ryan Wendell a free agent and Dan Connolly and Logan Mankins with cap-heavy contracts, the Patriots might be looking to add to their talent pool along the offensive line.

Zack Martin (OL, Notre Dame) would give the Patriots a plethora of options on how to structure their offensive line going forward. A starting five of perhaps Nate Solder at LT, Mankins at LG, Connolly at C, Martin at RG and Sebastian Vollmer at RT looks pretty menacing. Having Marcus Cannon as a backup is just icing on the cake.

Martin projects as a guard due to his arms length, but he has the feet to play outside at tackle as well. With Vollmer and Solder’s injury histories, you can’t have enough protection for Tom Brady.

It isn’t a sexy pick, but Martin gives the Patriots exactly what they need. If the Patriot do wait on offensive line help, Xavier Su’a-Filo from UCLA and Weston Richburg from Colorado State are likely targets.

With Bill O’Brien in Houston, rumors abound that Ryan Mallett could be on his way to the Lone Star State. If New England is able to move him for the 33rd pick in the draft, I don’t think they’ll hesitate.

Two things Patriots fans hear a lot about are Rutgers players and big wide receivers. Brandon Coleman (WR, Rutgers) is the combination of both worlds.

His 6’6″, 220-pound frame alone would allow him to compete in the NFL, but he has exhibited some legitimate receiver skills over the past two seasons. He adjusts well to poorly-thrown balls—a requisite at Rutgers—and uses his physical skills to gain separation both at the line of scrimmage and down the field. Coleman has also shown that he can be a willing and able blocker.

Coleman needs to work on his consistency in route-running, concentration and ball-security, but I think many of his problems stemmed from the mediocre offense he had to deal with in college.

While Coleman is certainly a top-20 pick based on his physical skills, I think he’ll fall further down the board due to his lack of college production. Getting him in the second round would be a steal.

Second Round – 61st pick

Sealver Siliga played well, and the duo of Chris Jones and Joe Vellano filled in admirably as rookies, the defensive interior was an issue in 2013. While the return of Vince Wilfork, Tommy Kelly and perhaps even Armond Armstead will be helpful in 2014, Bill Belichick will have a tough time passing up on a disruptive defensive lineman.

DaQuan Jones (DL, Penn State) would add another strong force in the middle. At 6’4″ and over 320 pounds, Jones is adept at fending off multiple blockers in the run game. He led the Big 10 conference with 11.5 tackles for loss. When singled, he can walk back defenders into the pocket, creating sack opportunities for edge rushers.

Jones could be used inside as either a 1-tech or 3-tech. He also has the edge-setting ability to play as a 5-tech when called upon. Wherever he is used, Jones will be a solid member of the rotation.

Third Round – 93rd pick

The Patriots need for tight ends is hardly a secret. Rob Gronkowki is coming off a major knee injury, while Michael Hoomanawanui and Matthew Mulligan are both scheduled to be free agents.

C.J. Fiedorowicz (TE, Iowa) reminds me a lot of Steelers tight end Heath Miller. He is solid—not flashy like Jace Amaro or Eric Ebron—in the passing game excelling in the red zone and on schort and intermediate routes. He isn’t a huge threat on 25-yard seam routes like Gronkowski due to his 4.8 speed, but he is able to present a big target down the field with his 6’7″, 265-pound frame.

Where Miller and Fiedorowicz really provide extra value is in their blocking. Like Gronkowski, Fiedorowicz is like a third offensive tackle on the field. He is a devastating blocker in the run game and has movement skills to slide with edge rushers when asked to stay in and block on passing plays.

He was schooled under Kirk Ferentz, who coached with Belichick in Cleveland, and Brian Ferentz, who coached tight ends in New England during Gronkowski’s record-setting season. D.J. Hernandez—yes, that Hernandez family—was his positional coach at Iowa.

With all those connections and positive traits, Fiedorowicz is a very likely pick come May, even if they have to move up a bit to secure his rights.

Fourth Round

Brandon Spikes has probably played his last game for New England. They should look to replace him with a quicker linebacker that can do some of the same things that Spikes was tasked with.

Christian Kirksey (LB, Iowa) might be undersized as a Patriots linebacker—he measured in at 6’2″ and 234 pounds—but he showed the ability in college to make an impact on the other side of the line of scrimmage.

Like Spikes, Kirksey has excellent timing when blitzing and rarely misses when he has a chance at an impact play in the backfield. Unlike Spikes, Kirksey is fast enough—probably a 4.7 player—to make more of an impact in the passing game.

Jerod Mayo, Jamie Collins and Dont’a Hightower on running downs, with Collins/Mayo and Kirksey in on passing downs is a big improvement over 2013. The additional depth would allow defensive coordinator Matt Patricia to once again hide his defensive players’ deficiencies.

In addition to helping on passing downs, Kirksey would be a core-four special teams player—a trait that can’t go unnoticed with Belichick around.

If a quarterback that the Patriots like falls into the late fourth or early fifth round area, they may look to trade some selections to go up and secure their guy.

Aaron Murray (QB, Georgia) doesn’t have the same size as many of Belichick’s quarterback picks, but his experience, leadership and competitive drive should endear him to coaching staffs.

Murray was probably a late day-two pick before tearing his ACL during his senior season. In the fifth round, Murray would be an excellent value.

If the Patriots do move Mallett and pick up a rookie like Murray, I would expect them to add a veteran quarterback—think Chad Henne—that could come in and win a game or two if Tom Brady had a schort-term injury.

Bill Belichick likes to target special teams on day three of the draft. Nate Ebner, Jake Ingram, Zoltan Mesko, Stephen Gostkowski, Matthew Slater… the list goes on and on.

Vinnie Sunseri (SS, Alabama) would continue that trend, but also give the Patriots more upside than Ebner gave them at the safety position. Defensive backs schooled by Nick Saban would certainly have a leg up on learning the daunting Patriots defense.

Like Murray, he is recovering from a torn ACL and could even be placed on the NFI-list for a year as a sort of redshirt season.

Seventh Round

You just can’t replace an Aaron Hernandez. You could try with Oregon’s Colt Lyerla, but you are getting the good and the bad there as well. Gator Hoskins (TE/FB, Marshall) reminds me a lot of Marcel Reece and could do a lot of things that James Develin and Michael Hoomanawanui do with some increased explosiveness on the outside.

Hoskins scored 13 touchdowns last year for the Thundering Herd and would be an additional red zone threat for Tom Brady to exploit.

Hey MB!  What's up bro?  Yeah, I saw this mock too.  This would be an unbelievable draft for the Pats, way too good to be true probably.  Never know, though.  I'd be all for it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

One theme that I want to see during the first 2 days of the draft for the Patriots is drafting players who have been HEALTHY their entire careers.  I have seen enough injuries this year to last me for a while.  I would take any guy who has suffered any sort of knee, ankle, back, or head injuries that caused them to miss any significant time off the board completely, at least through the first 4 rounds.  If they want to take a flier on an injury risk late, that's fine.  There is plenty of talent in this class to be selective about healthy players.  I want talented, but safe picks during the first 4 rounds, and I think that is possible.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

First Round – 29th pick

Second Round – 61st pick

Third Round – 93rd pick

Fourth Round

Seventh Round

Hey MB!  What's up bro?  Yeah, I saw this mock too.  This would be an unbelievable draft for the Pats, way too good to be true probably.  Never know, though.  I'd be all for it.

Hey, man!

Yeah, I don't anticipate that all of the players listed above will be available in their listed slots, but I think some of the picks are very realistic.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

One theme that I want to see during the first 2 days of the draft for the Patriots is drafting players who have been HEALTHY their entire careers.  I have seen enough injuries this year to last me for a while.  I would take any guy who has suffered any sort of knee, ankle, back, or head injuries that caused them to miss any significant time off the board completely, at least through the first 4 rounds.  If they want to take a flier on an injury risk late, that's fine.  There is plenty of talent in this class to be selective about healthy players.  I want talented, but safe picks during the first 4 rounds, and I think that is possible.

It's a fair point... there's something to be said for a player that has demonstrated durability/the ability to stay on the field.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Checked out Marshall TE/HB Gator Hoskins and he definitely has some poor man's AH to his game.  similar size, flexed out quite a bit, has some RAC ability and can be tough to bring down... also catches the ball cleanly with his hands.

I was also shocked at his production... 25 TD catches over the past (2) seasons... kid is a thread down by the RZ.

He or Oklahoma's TE/HB/FB Trey Millard would be intriguing picks on Day 3.

Sections
Shortcuts