***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

I mentioned in an early post about a month ago that the 3 Iowa LBs would get drafted. Maybe later rds but they are all fundamentally sound players.  Miller sounds like the "soup du jour" everyone is focused on this Seattle defense and the big DBs.  The evolution of large TEs, WRs, has manifested the counterpart on defense-  large CBs, even smaller LBs.

So it seems a guy like Tanner Miller will have a good chance.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Hey guys!  Wanted to talk about Louis Nix III for a minute.  He has been mentioned as a great fit for NE, and with good reason.  Tremendous size and skillset for a DT.  Like most of you, I would love it if we landed him.  I would, however, have a slight concern with him, and that is his knee.  I know his knee injury wasn't to one of the major ligaments, and meniscus surgery is relatively minor, but the thought of spendind a first, or likely even trading up for a 340+ lb player who is coming off of a knee injury is slight disconcerning, regardless of his skillset.  What do you all think?  Would you draft him if he slid to 29?  He probably won't last that long, so would you trade up for him?  How far would you trade up?  What would you be willing to give up for Nix? 

Hey Waz,

From what I've seen, durability has never been much of an issue with Irish Chocolate, having played in 33 straigt games before that injury.  I think up to 20/21 would be a range that BB might be comfortable with, similar to Chandler Jones... and I believe 21st overall is where Big Vince was drafted as well, haha.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

I mentioned in an early post about a month ago that the 3 Iowa LBs would get drafted. Maybe later rds but they are all fundamentally sound players.  Miller sounds like the "soup du jour" everyone is focused on this Seattle defense and the big DBs.  The evolution of large TEs, WRs, has manifested the counterpart on defense-  large CBs, even smaller LBs.

So it seems a guy like Tanner Miller will have a good chance.

Good call by you... those kids are tough, physical and fly around the field.  Kirksey is certainly the most impressive, but Morris and Kitchens can play.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Hey guys!  Wanted to talk about Louis Nix III for a minute.  He has been mentioned as a great fit for NE, and with good reason.  Tremendous size and skillset for a DT.  Like most of you, I would love it if we landed him.  I would, however, have a slight concern with him, and that is his knee.  I know his knee injury wasn't to one of the major ligaments, and meniscus surgery is relatively minor, but the thought of spendind a first, or likely even trading up for a 340+ lb player who is coming off of a knee injury is slight disconcerning, regardless of his skillset.  What do you all think?  Would you draft him if he slid to 29?  He probably won't last that long, so would you trade up for him?  How far would you trade up?  What would you be willing to give up for Nix? 

Hey Waz,

From what I've seen, durability has never been much of an issue with Irish Chocolate, having played in 33 straigt games before that injury.  I think up to 20/21 would be a range that BB might be comfortable with, similar to Chandler Jones... and I believe 21st overall is where Big Vince was drafted as well, haha.

Good thoughts, Man.  I wouldn't mind if they traded up to 21 or so for him, but I would hope they wouldnt go any higher.  Gets too pricy to move into the teens, IMO.  Personally, I would wait at 29 and hope he slides, but honestly there is very little chance of that happening.  I would let him go and take BPA at 29, then pounce on Jones, or another talented DT in the 2nd.  Bottom line, I love Nix's skillset, but his knee is enough of a concern that I wouldn't move up for him.  If he somehow slid to 29 I would run to the podium for him, though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

If Nix landed at 20 ATL, NE could trade with them.  NE would send their 1st and 2nd= 932 value and Atl could send 1st, 4th and 6th =931.4.   Is Nix worth giving up a 2nd Rder?  Tough question.  I don't think he gets pass 21 Green Bay.

Also, if NE wants to move back up to the 2nd rd it would need at least 270 point value.  A 3rd and two 4ths gives you 237.   Assuming they do not use 2015 picks.

The only way I see something like this is if Mallett is traded for  a high 3rd rd pick.

NE will probably wait.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey Waz,

Good thoughts, Man.  I wouldn't mind if they traded up to 21 or so for him, but I would hope they wouldnt go any higher.  Gets too pricy to move into the teens, IMO.  Personally, I would wait at 29 and hope he slides, but honestly there is very little chance of that happening.  I would let him go and take BPA at 29, then pounce on Jones, or another talented DT in the 2nd.  Bottom line, I love Nix's skillset, but his knee is enough of a concern that I wouldn't move up for him.  If he somehow slid to 29 I would run to the podium for him, though.

I just can't see Nix sliding that far. Happening to Vince was puzzling. I can't see the same thing happening to another similar player in my lifetime but hey it could happen. I just don't see him dropping out of the teens

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

If Nix landed at 20 ATL, NE could trade with them.  NE would send their 1st and 2nd= 932 value and Atl could send 1st, 4th and 6th =931.4.   Is Nix worth giving up a 2nd Rder?  Tough question.  I don't think he gets pass 21 Green Bay.

Also, if NE wants to move back up to the 2nd rd it would need at least 270 point value.  A 3rd and two 4ths gives you 237.   Assuming they do not use 2015 picks.

The only way I see something like this is if Mallett is traded for  a high 3rd rd pick.

NE will probably wait.

If they wait, I want PSU's DaQuan Jones to be the guy... very good all around skillset/upside and was voted the best run stuff during SB week by ESPN Scouts Inc.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

NE will probably wait.

If they wait, I want PSU's DaQuan Jones to be the guy... very good all around skillset/upside and was voted the best run stuff during SB week by ESPN Scouts Inc.

Agree. I think Jones should be a guy they are targeting. Eng is right.  Nix ain't gonna be there at 20 to trade up for.  I say draft best available o- line or TE at 29, then target Jones in the second, even if it means trading up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Wow, Utah CB Keith McGill getting some love from ESPN/Scouts In. as a potential Rd 1 kid?  No thanks.

Keith McGill, CB, Utah 
    McGill’s week got off to a strong start on Monday morning when he checked in at 6-foot-3 and 214 pounds, which is elite size for a cornerback prospect. While he has some tightness to him and can improve his technique in press coverage, McGill’s instincts, length, overall range and ability to locate and play the ball stood out throughout the week. He comes with some character baggage that scouts will need to investigate, but his performance last week and his solid game tape from 2013 make him a likely Day 1 prospect. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

NE will probably wait.

Agree. I think Jones should be a guy they are targeting. Eng is right.  Nix ain't gonna be there at 20 to trade up for.  I say draft best available o- line or TE at 29, then target Jones in the second, even if it means trading up.

Also wouldn't mind seeing them a true hammer at S like Calvin Pryor in Rd 1... he's big (6-2 210), athletic, aggressive and will look to cave your chest in.

Though, at the end of the day, I still want them to beef up the trenches... wouldn't mind if the y spend (2) high picks on DT's... similar to what Carolina did last year (Lotulelei and S/hort).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

NE will probably wait.

Also wouldn't mind seeing them a true hammer at S like Calvin Pryor in Rd 1... he's big (6-2 210), athletic, aggressive and will look to cave your chest in.

Though, at the end of the day, I still want them to beef up the trenches... wouldn't mind if the y spend (2) high picks on DT's... similar to what Carolina did last year (Lotulelei and S/hort).

yep.  I would love to see the top 2 picks used on linemen.  Offensive or Defensive.  I certainly wouldn't argue with them getting 2 stud DTs.  Pryor is a really good safety prospect, though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

NE will probably wait.

If one of the Big 3 are at 29 I would pull the trigger.  (Hageman, Tuitt or Nix)  If Ebron is gone or Amaro, TE or DT second Rd leaning towards Jones or a Ellis in the 4th. If they are all gone including OG,  I would select Pryor also. He is  actually what they need in that secondary. I know, I know, another rookie, but McCourtey has got the communication down.  OG in first RD would have to be Martin or Yankey.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

from listening to you guys... and obviously knowing nothing of what might happen via FA at this point.

I'd be happy with these top three picks (haven't even looked at these kids play myself yet)

1) Jace Amaro

2) DaQuan Jones

3) Weston Richburg

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

from listening to you guys... and obviously knowing nothing of what might happen via FA at this point.

I'd be happy with these top three picks (haven't even looked at these kids play myself yet)

1) Jace Amaro

2) DaQuan Jones

3) Weston Richburg

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

1) Jace Amaro

2) DaQuan Jones

3) Weston Richburg

Very Strong!  I still want to see how Amaro does running, but he has shown great hands and a large catch radius. I think he needs to improve his blocking.  Jones and Richburg are in the trenches.  Exactly what NE needs. Great picks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

If we do trade Mallett and acquire even an early 3rd for him, I think that could really make our draft.  It would allow BB to make a pick at 29, and possibly trade into the mid second round twice if he felt like getting aggressive.  It would allow us to field a class of Zach Martin, Troy Niklas, and DaQuan Jones, or whatever players/position combos you like.  Bottom line, it would give us the abitity to add 3 blue-chip players at positions of need.  Anything we did in the later rounds would just be gravy, IMO.  My hope is that we can trade Mallett to HOU for a 2014 3rd, and a 2015 3rd or 4th.  I think that would be good compensation for us, and a deal that HOU or some other team may actually make.  I don't think that there is any way that HOU would part with the 33rd pick for an unproven commodity like Mallett.  A 3rd rounder is much more realistic.  Throw in a mid-round 2015 pick and I'd call it a deal.  LSU's Mettenberger is the guy who I would like to see us draft in the mid rounds somewhere if Mallett does get traded.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorado State

A late addition to the Senior Bowl after Fresno State’s Marcel Jensen went down with a groin injury, Colorado State tight end Crockett Gillmore did not partake in his practice until Wednesday. But although his window of opportunity to impress was shorter than most of the other prospects in the game, he was able to make up for lost time.

Gillmore’s athleticism and receiving ability was immediately on display from his first practice Wednesday, and it continued to be Saturday, a game in which he led all players with five receptions for 61 yards, including a 17-yard catch-and-run touchdown.

Having measured in at 6’5” and 263 pounds earlier this week, Gillmore proved himself as a big receiving target over the middle of the field, but who also runs solid routes. He is a better receiver than a blocker at this point, but he has shown significant upside between his collegiate career, the Shrine Game and the Senior Bowl.

In a top-heavy crop of tight ends, Gillmore could turn out to be a Day 3 steal.

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2014/01/2014-senior-bowl-saturday-standouts-and-disappointments/

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

If we do trade Mallett and acquire even an early 3rd for him, I think that could really make our draft.  It would allow BB to make a pick at 29, and possibly trade into the mid second round twice if he felt like getting aggressive.  It would allow us to field a class of Zach Martin, Troy Niklas, and DaQuan Jones, or whatever players/position combos you like.  Bottom line, it would give us the abitity to add 3 blue-chip players at positions of need.  Anything we did in the later rounds would just be gravy, IMO.  My hope is that we can trade Mallett to HOU for a 2014 3rd, and a 2015 3rd or 4th.  I think that would be good compensation for us, and a deal that HOU or some other team may actually make.  I don't think that there is any way that HOU would part with the 33rd pick for an unproven commodity like Mallett.  A 3rd rounder is much more realistic.  Throw in a mid-round 2015 pick and I'd call it a deal.  LSU's Mettenberger is the guy who I would like to see us draft in the mid rounds somewhere if Mallett does get traded.

Very good post!  Totally agree, it could happen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

2014 NFL Draft Close-Up: Notre Dame Nose Tackle Louis Nix III

Notre Dame’s Louis Nix III plays with force rarely seen in a nose tackle prospect, and NFL scouting departments have taken note. (USA Today Sports Images)

NEPD Editor: Oliver Thomas

In the coming weeks and months leading up to the 2014 NFL draft, NEPatriotsDraft.com will profile college prospects that potentially fit the needs and draft seating of the New England Patriots. In this first installment, we will take a closer look at the film behind Notre Dame nose tackle Louis Nix III.

Louis Nix III won’t win a track meet. He won’t run a 40-yard dash in under 5.2 seconds, either. But his 6’2”, 342-pound mass, multiplied by his downhill quickness off the snap, has equaled force for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish defense.

And largely due to his fulfillment of Isaac Newton’s second law, the 22-year-old redshirt junior finds himself ranked as the top nose tackle prospect in the 2014 NFL draft.

The Jacksonville, Fla., native’s ability to generate force has drawn resemblance to fellow Floridian Vince Wilfork, a New England Patriots first-round pick back in 2004. Based on Nix’s body of work as a pocket-pusher and run-stuffer, the comparison is well-deserved.

Nix proved to be a cornerstone in the middle of Notre Dame’s front over the last three seasons. In 2011, he started 11 of 13 games, compiling 45 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, half a sack and a pass breakup. In 2012, he started another 11 games, registering 50 tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, two sacks, a forced fumble and three pass breakups. A knee injury in the 2012 National Championship Game, however, held him back this fall.

Nix totaled 27 tackles, two tackles for loss and two pass breakups through eight games before having season-ending surgery to repair the torn meniscus. He decided to declare shortly thereafter.

Now despite an unceremonious finish to his collegiate career, Nix is expected to be a Day 1 selection this May. He will have many suitors due to his ability to take on double-teams and use his athleticism to disrupt in more ways than one.

So with that said, here is a closer look at two sought-after facets seen in Nix’s game film, which has been made accessible thanks to the folks at DraftBreakdown.com.

Closing the Pocket

Now most nose tackles lag behind in quest of the quarterback. Quite often, they’re the last one off the line and struggle to disengage as edge-rushers swarm.

Nix’s purpose in the passing game isn’t prototypical.

He knows how to use his wide frame, long arms and burst to swim or bull rush towards the quarterback. He does so rather consistently, anchoring his lower body to drive instead of being driven back. His impact, in that respect, is realized even when a sack isn’t.

This was illustrated against Stanford on Oct. 13, 2012, during Nix’s redshirt sophomore campaign.

On a 2nd-and-5, the Cardinal offense employed “11” personnel with one running back deep and one tight end inline. The play call itself was a “levels” concept out left, orchestrating five- and 10-yard in routes by the receivers. And out right, the flanker set up for a curl, while current Atlanta Falcons tight end Levine Toilolo hunkered for a seam pattern.

The Notre Dame defense countered with a 4-3, calling on Nix to play the one-technique between center Sam Schwartzstein and left guard Khalil Wilkes. Schwartstein, though, was combing to block left defensive tackle Sheldon Day, which left Wilkes to take on No. 9.

As then-Stanford QB Josh Nunes received the snap, he diagnosed his tight end’s vertical route – which drew attention from both linebacker Dan Fox and safety Matthias Farley – Nix established the interior.

He locked his arms high onto the chest plate of the guard and pedaled his feet. In this case, the blocker had out-leveraged him, but Nix had out-angled him. He had a clear view of the A-gap and fought towards it.

The blocker leaned to the point where stability was lost, and Nix was the beneficiary. He stayed balanced and swept his arms out of engagement, thrusting himself into the quarterback’s foreground.

Nix lifted his arm up into the QB’s line of sight, further interfering after having already collapsed the pocket.

Nunes didn’t have room to sufficiently guide with his front foot, nor did he have the time to make a calculated decision under duress.

Nix lunged at the quarterback and got a hand the non-throwing shoulder. With the arrival of pressure, the QB floated one up in the direction of his tight end.

It was overshot and intercepted Farley.

On this particular play, Nix’s short-area quickness and flexibility through blocks hindered the quarterback’s ability to drive the ball downfield. His teammates were rewarded.

Now it’s unreasonable to expect Nix to become a sack-amassing pass-rusher, but it’s reasonable to expect Nix to become a play-creator for his teammates. He chases the passer; he raises his arms to deter passes. And while he may not dominate an offense’s pass protection, an offense’s pass protection has to account for him.

In a four-man line, Nix would likely move over to the one-technique or three-technique – shading the center or guard. Favoring one gap instead of two would figure to accentuate his effectiveness versus the pass.

It did on occasion in South Bend, Ind.

Pursuing the Run

Nix’s success as a pass-rusher will go a long way towards him staying on the field in 3rd-and-long situations. Conversely, his success as a run-stopper will go a long way towards him getting on the field in the first place.

From the zero-technique – directly against the offensive center – Nix draws multiple blocks. With heavy hands, active feet and leverage, he shoves his opponents back and out of position. Although he gets knocked upright or down and loses sight of the ball at times, usually he does not.

His improved endurance and nimble feet allow him to work fast. And when stifling double-teams are replaced by single or zone blocks, he doesn’t waste time ripping his arms outside the offensive lineman’s shoulder.

That was the case on a 2nd-and-12 against Michigan on Sept. 7.

The Wolverines assembled in “22” personnel for with an inline tight end, an “F” tight end in motion, and a fullback in I-formation in front of halfback Fitzgerald Toussaint. The play’s intentions were an off-tackle run to the loaded side.

Nix was in the center of a three down-lineman, five-linebacker alignment vying to stop it.

Yet the blocker Nix was about to face wasn’t the center across from him.

As quarterback Devin Gardner handled the snap and turned to hand off, the Michigan line swayed leftward. Center Jack Miller brushed around Nix on his way to linebacker territory, while right guard Kyle Kalis swapped underneath to stall Nix.

As the two interior O-linemen did so, Nix reacted rapidly, leaning his left shoulder into the mesh point before the guard could engage.

Nix spread his arms to detach from the shoulder block and propelled diagonally through the right A-gap. Meanwhile, Toussaint collected the handoff.

Nix took an angle conducive to meeting the ball-carrier in the backfield. In the process, he snuck behind the lead block.

Nix closed fast. He was suddenly within two yards of his target, who was looking to split between his left tackle and tight ends.

Toussaint cut at the numbers. Yet as he did, Nix wrapped him by the shoulder pads and pulled him to the turf for a loss of one.

Nix attacked the lateral block before it could attack him. And while the transition between blocking assignments played a role in his triumph versus Michigan, so did his innate burst off the snap and fluid pursuit.

Running backs have a hard time finding the lane when Nix is on the field. He can congest space or s hoot the gap. It is, at least in part, because he’s the first one off the line and can convert his speed into power.

Outlook

Nix’s performance and subsequent production wavered in 2013 largely due to health. But ultimately, Nix embodies what 3-4 defenses want in a nose.

His blend of reaction, power and stamina are visible versus both the run and pass. So even though he may never control a game, there’s reason to believe he will be a force within it.

Whether it is from the zero-, one- or three-technique, Nix has the versatile traits to adapt to a multiple defense like New England’s. And while his availability at pick 29 overall is in question, his value certainly isn’t.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

NE will probably wait.

From what I hear about PSU's Jones, he has great work ethic too.  He should be available when the Pats pick in the 2nd.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

No way Zach Martin gets out of the 1st round.  Other than the QB's and OLB Ford, he had arguably the best week at the Senior Bowl.

I do like the idea of trading Mallett to the Texans though.  There's alot of good/great QB's coming out this year that we can pick up in later rounds.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Does anyone go on NEPatriotsdraft.com?

they did a brief kinda mock for us and it was a real hit.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2014/01/2014-nfl-draft-post-senior-bowl-patriots-mock-draft.html

Team Needs: TE, DT, OG, DE, WR, RB, LB

First Round (29)Louis Nix III, DT, Notre Dame
    After Vince Wilfork went down the Patriots run defense was a major area of weakness with teams just gashing big run after big run. Guys like Chris Jones and Joe Vellano played admirably, but they were put in a role that wasn’t cut out for them. Players like Louis Nix are rare, in that he is a massive kid (345 lbs.), but carries the weight well and moves fluidly for his size. The lack of size and point of attack strength is what really killed the Patriots run defense.

Their DT were unable to anchor and hold the line of scrimmage, creating massive running lanes. Plugging another 330 lbs + run defender next to Vince Wilfork immediately makes the Patriots interior defensive line better. With two space eaters, the Patriots LB will have an easier job and teams won’t be able to carve up the middle of the Patriots defense with such ease.

Second RoundAustin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
    Whether the Patriots have to trade up into the middle of the second round or sit tight they can’t afford to come out of this draft without landing one of the top 3-4 TE prospects. I know people will knock Seferian-Jenkins for his lack of effort at times and his perseved attitude issues, but that will likely help the Patriots land him in the second round. ASJ is literally a power forward on the football field. His size and catch radius present such a mismatch for defenders that once he gets put in a system and learns the finer points of the position he will dominate.

Seferian-Jenkins is a willing blocker and I believe that like Gronkowski he can develop into a very good NFL run blocker with time. Obviously the Patriots could target Amaro in the first round, but they’d miss out on improving the run defense. Rolling the dice and making a move for ASJ in the second round makes more sense to me. Gronk and Seferian-Jenkins together could arguably be a bigger mismatch than Gronkowski-Hernandez, because both guys are just so big and long.

Third RoundAaron Lynch, DE/OLB, South Florida
    Pass rush is one need that is really being understated by people that evaluate the Patriots. I thought their pass rush really let them down when it counted last year and needs to improve this year. Aaron Lynch is someone that not enough people are paying attention to. He had one of the best freshman performances I’ve seen from a pass rusher while at Notre Dame. After that season Lynch decided to transfer closer to home in Florida, ended up at USF. Lynch is up to 260 pounds, training at API and from all indications I’ve gotten he’s ready to tear up the combine. At 6’5″ 260+ he fits the Patriots edge rush model.

He can play both 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB, adding versatility to the Patriots front. Bill Belichick goes down to USF pro day every year and loves taking kids from this program. Lynch will get knocked because he wasn’t as productive on a real bad USF team. Put on his freshman tape, project him playing at 265 pounds, and tell me he can’t help the Patriots pass rush.

Fourth RoundJoel Bitonio, OT/OG, Nevada
    Out of all the OL I talked to in Mobile, Bitonio was the one that impressed me the most. He really understood blocking concepts and was able to explain responsibilities at multiple positions on the offensive line. Bitonio is in the same mold of Zack Martin for me, a player that can be a good OT in the NFL, but could be an even better offensive OG. Bitonio played left tackle at Nevada and shu t down UCLA’s Anthony Barr when they matched up back in September.

From watching him in practice he seems like a very savvy offensive lineman. He keeps good positioning, a wide base, and uses his hands well. Even though he is likely to be a 3rd or 4th round guy, he can come in and start right away in my opinion.

Sixth Round (via Philly)Vinnie Sunseri, SAF, Alabama
    Sunseri opted to enter the draft a year early, despite tearing his ACL this past fall. I really like watching Sunseri on film. He’s a smart player and the son of a football coach, so he’s grown up around the game. Sunseri has experience as a dime and nickel back in Alabama’s defense and was elevated to starting strong safety as a Junior.

The reason I love Sunseri is because what he can offer on Special Teams. He made an immediate impact at Alabama on special teams and even if he never develops into a starting strong safety in the NFL, he’ll be a core special teams guy at the very least. One of my favorite prospects in the draft.

Sixth Round – Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana
    If you don’t know about Latimer right now, you probably will after the combine. He’s a big, strong, fast Wide Receiver that was the centerpiece of the Hoosiers high powered offensive attack. While I think the Patriots probably opt to upgrade the receiver position through free agency they will use a late round pick on a high upside guy.

At 6’3″ 215 pounds Latimer adds more physicality and size to a position that lacked it for much of the year. At worst he comes in and is an upgrade over Kenbrell Thompkins.

Sixth Round (Compensatory for Patrick Chung)Jordan Tripp, OLB, Montana
    Tripp’s a four year starter at the University of Montana and an ultra-productive defender. Went down to Mobile this week and didn’t look out of place. At 6’3 and close to 240 pounds he has the size the Patriots like from the position and plays with a great motor. At this point in the draft teams look for depth players and players they can develop, Tripp is an under the radar guy that I believe eventually becomes a productive NFL LB.

Sixth Round (Compensatory for Donald Thomas)James White, RB, Wisconsin
    There will be shake-ups at RB this off-season, which will result in the Patriots drafting one at some point in the draft. White really impressed me at the Senior Bowl with his pass blocking potential. He wasn’t afraid to initiate the contact and used his hands to punch the defender. He showed better hands than I expected and ran hard. His lower body is really built and should be able to run through lower body contact. We all know his story at Wisconsin and I believe he becomes a better NFL RB than he was in college.

Sevneth RoundMatt Patchan, OT, Boston College
    Patchan gives the Patriots an athletic developmental tackle prospect that has experience starting on the left side.  Patchan showed up to the Senior Bowl with a rocked up, tall, physical body. He impressed this year at BC opening holes for Heisman Finalist Andre Williams and is worth a late round flyer at this point in the draft.

*It’s possible the Patriots could get an additional 7th Round Compensation pick for Danny Woodhead.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

NE will probably wait.

One of the three big guys are going to be available when #29 comes rolling around. Either Rashede Hageman,Tuitt, or Nix III. Though Walter Draft has Nix going to Dallas.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2014/01/2014-nfl-draft-post-senior-bowl-patriots-mock-draft.html

After Vince Wilfork went down the Patriots run defense was a major area of weakness with teams just gashing big run after big run. Guys like Chris Jones and Joe Vellano played admirably, but they were put in a role that wasn’t cut out for them. Players like Louis Nix are rare, in that he is a massive kid (345 lbs.), but carries the weight well and moves fluidly for his size. The lack of size and point of attack strength is what really killed the Patriots run defense.

Their DT were unable to anchor and hold the line of scrimmage, creating massive running lanes. Plugging another 330 lbs + run defender next to Vince Wilfork immediately makes the Patriots interior defensive line better. With two space eaters, the Patriots LB will have an easier job and teams won’t be able to carve up the middle of the Patriots defense with such ease.

Whether the Patriots have to trade up into the middle of the second round or sit tight they can’t afford to come out of this draft without landing one of the top 3-4 TE prospects. I know people will knock Seferian-Jenkins for his lack of effort at times and his perseved attitude issues, but that will likely help the Patriots land him in the second round. ASJ is literally a power forward on the football field. His size and catch radius present such a mismatch for defenders that once he gets put in a system and learns the finer points of the position he will dominate.

Seferian-Jenkins is a willing blocker and I believe that like Gronkowski he can develop into a very good NFL run blocker with time. Obviously the Patriots could target Amaro in the first round, but they’d miss out on improving the run defense. Rolling the dice and making a move for ASJ in the second round makes more sense to me. Gronk and Seferian-Jenkins together could arguably be a bigger mismatch than Gronkowski-Hernandez, because both guys are just so big and long.

Pass rush is one need that is really being understated by people that evaluate the Patriots. I thought their pass rush really let them down when it counted last year and needs to improve this year. Aaron Lynch is someone that not enough people are paying attention to. He had one of the best freshman performances I’ve seen from a pass rusher while at Notre Dame. After that season Lynch decided to transfer closer to home in Florida, ended up at USF. Lynch is up to 260 pounds, training at API and from all indications I’ve gotten he’s ready to tear up the combine. At 6’5″ 260+ he fits the Patriots edge rush model.

He can play both 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB, adding versatility to the Patriots front. Bill Belichick goes down to USF pro day every year and loves taking kids from this program. Lynch will get knocked because he wasn’t as productive on a real bad USF team. Put on his freshman tape, project him playing at 265 pounds, and tell me he can’t help the Patriots pass rush.

Out of all the OL I talked to in Mobile, Bitonio was the one that impressed me the most. He really understood blocking concepts and was able to explain responsibilities at multiple positions on the offensive line. Bitonio is in the same mold of Zack Martin for me, a player that can be a good OT in the NFL, but could be an even better offensive OG. Bitonio played left tackle at Nevada and shu t down UCLA’s Anthony Barr when they matched up back in September.

From watching him in practice he seems like a very savvy offensive lineman. He keeps good positioning, a wide base, and uses his hands well. Even though he is likely to be a 3rd or 4th round guy, he can come in and start right away in my opinion.

Sunseri opted to enter the draft a year early, despite tearing his ACL this past fall. I really like watching Sunseri on film. He’s a smart player and the son of a football coach, so he’s grown up around the game. Sunseri has experience as a dime and nickel back in Alabama’s defense and was elevated to starting strong safety as a Junior.

The reason I love Sunseri is because what he can offer on Special Teams. He made an immediate impact at Alabama on special teams and even if he never develops into a starting strong safety in the NFL, he’ll be a core special teams guy at the very least. One of my favorite prospects in the draft.

If you don’t know about Latimer right now, you probably will after the combine. He’s a big, strong, fast Wide Receiver that was the centerpiece of the Hoosiers high powered offensive attack. While I think the Patriots probably opt to upgrade the receiver position through free agency they will use a late round pick on a high upside guy.

At 6’3″ 215 pounds Latimer adds more physicality and size to a position that lacked it for much of the year. At worst he comes in and is an upgrade over Kenbrell Thompkins.

Tripp’s a four year starter at the University of Montana and an ultra-productive defender. Went down to Mobile this week and didn’t look out of place. At 6’3 and close to 240 pounds he has the size the Patriots like from the position and plays with a great motor. At this point in the draft teams look for depth players and players they can develop, Tripp is an under the radar guy that I believe eventually becomes a productive NFL LB.

There will be shake-ups at RB this off-season, which will result in the Patriots drafting one at some point in the draft. White really impressed me at the Senior Bowl with his pass blocking potential. He wasn’t afraid to initiate the contact and used his hands to punch the defender. He showed better hands than I expected and ran hard. His lower body is really built and should be able to run through lower body contact. We all know his story at Wisconsin and I believe he becomes a better NFL RB than he was in college.

Patchan gives the Patriots an athletic developmental tackle prospect that has experience starting on the left side.  Patchan showed up to the Senior Bowl with a rocked up, tall, physical body. He impressed this year at BC opening holes for Heisman Finalist Andre Williams and is worth a late round flyer at this point in the draft.

*It’s possible the Patriots could get an additional 7th Round Compensation pick for Danny Woodhead.

This draft fits needs well.  I am not sure TE goes before DT.  He must be assuming we resign Talib.I like a DE need because really no one is talking about it.

I love Nix but he will not drop to 29.  He will be like Lotulelei and drop a little after an injury. I would switch ASJ for NDs Niklas.  The rest are very strong, meeting needs.  What is interesting is there are probably 2-3 other players in the same draft range at every pick you could substitute and get similar effort.  Guys like Lynch and Bitonio will maybe move up with good combines.  These mock drafts will have people slotted into a whole round.  A guy like Lynch may push up towards the top of RD 3. It just depends how the selections before him back to the 1st rd were completed.  A lot of guessing going on, but that is what mocks are all about.

Bottomline: your mock draft is just as good as any one on the web. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

I would love this draft! Positively gitty if this actually happened honestly thought I think they could get Lynch in the 4th and in the 3rd get Exum. Actually Lynch is starting to appear in my mocks now. Huge upside for the kid (if he doesn't get homesick) in the mid rounds sounds like BB's type of pick.

Sections
Shortcuts