***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to portfolio1's comment:

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

I don't know anything about Colt Lyeria, but I do know teenagers do things for a myraid of reasons. I remember a young man at Oregon a few years ago sucker punched an opposing player and it cost him dearly. Suspension, low draft status, limited opportunity to excel once he arrived, and finally being traded as an after thought along with a draft choice for a guy who isn't even a football player first, he's a track guy who dabbles at football. LeGarrette Blount and he more problems than just a temper. I wouldn't discount Lyeria as a draftable TE because he got caught with a little white powder, I'd have to have a shrink talk to him to find out if this was going to be a lifestyle choice on his part.

I dont know enough about the guy other than great talent with problems serious enough to have seen him off his college team... and the way these guys are coddled that says something important. Also, someone had imprled this guy was questioning the Sandy Hook shootings. In some other town that might not be a game breaker but in New Enlgand that is too close to home... It makes me think he is very unlikely to land here in his first 2-3 years. Maybe if he goes the Blount route perhaps...

Good point about the Sandy Hook questioning being too close to home.  I'm confident that BB won't draft Lyerla.  After everything that our organization went through because if AH, I can't imagine them bringing in abother deeply troubled player.  The AH stuff is just too recent.  I love Lyerla's talent, but MB is right.  He isn't worth the turmoil.  Besides, there will be good sleeper TE's available late.  This draft is deep at that position.  Come draft day, I bet Lyerla won't last past the 4th round anyway.  Somebody will become enamored with his talent and upside, look past the character flaws, and grab him earlier than expected.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

In response to portfolio1's comment:

I don't know anything about Colt Lyeria, but I do know teenagers do things for a myraid of reasons. I remember a young man at Oregon a few years ago sucker punched an opposing player and it cost him dearly. Suspension, low draft status, limited opportunity to excel once he arrived, and finally being traded as an after thought along with a draft choice for a guy who isn't even a football player first, he's a track guy who dabbles at football. LeGarrette Blount and he more problems than just a temper. I wouldn't discount Lyeria as a draftable TE because he got caught with a little white powder, I'd have to have a shrink talk to him to find out if this was going to be a lifestyle choice on his part.

I dont know enough about the guy other than great talent with problems serious enough to have seen him off his college team... and the way these guys are coddled that says something important. Also, someone had imprled this guy was questioning the Sandy Hook shootings. In some other town that might not be a game breaker but in New Enlgand that is too close to home... It makes me think he is very unlikely to land here in his first 2-3 years. Maybe if he goes the Blount route perhaps...

Good point about the Sandy Hook questioning being too close to home.  I'm confident that BB won't draft Lyerla.  After everything that our organization went through because if AH, I can't imagine them bringing in abother deeply troubled player.  The AH stuff is just too recent.  I love Lyerla's talent, but MB is right.  He isn't worth the turmoil.  Besides, there will be good sleeper TE's available late.  This draft is deep at that position.  Come draft day, I bet Lyerla won't last past the 4th round anyway.  Somebody will become enamored with his talent and upside, look past the character flaws, and grab him earlier than expected.  

Another thing the case against AH isn't near as strong as they originally claimed. They have already dismissed their star witness in Ortiz. The DA may have a case for weapons, violations but my gut is telling me they don't have any evidence to support the murder charges, no weapon, no witnesses! Just some home security tape showing Aaron with a gun in his house. Not very compelling. I'm just saying...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Here is someone that I am rooting for to be drafted.  I was just watched some video of Nevada and Boise St.  He flashed all over the field.  Great hands.  He doesn't have the speed but his route running and hands are excellent.  This article has him listed at 215 lbs, everywhere else has him at 225lbs. Could be that move tight end. 

NFL Draft: Why Nevada WR Brandon Wimberly Should Be Drafted By Michael Patmas , CorrespondentJan 28, 2013

Next ARTICLE » Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories NFL Draft: Why Nevada WR Brandon Wimberly Should Be Drafted Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports1.6K Reads 4 Comments

In June 2011, Brandon Wimberly came within inches of death. An unknown assailant shot him in the abdomen. The bullet just missed his aorta. After spending days in the ICU during which his very survival was in doubt, any prospect of a return to football seemed out of reach. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6676084

Wimberly missed the entire 2011 season. Astonishingly, he returned to play in 2012, had a spectacular season and now stands at the brink of what would have been unthinkable in those touch and go days in the ICU—being drafted into the NFL.

Right now, Wimberly is not high up on anyone's draft board, except for mine, that is. I think Wimberly is an underrated prospect.

The 6'3", 215-pound wide receiver  amassed some pretty impressive stats during his collegiate career: 164 receptions for 2,060 yards and 10 touchdowns. He also had one punt return for 19 yards and nine rushes for 63 yards. A consistent and sure handed receiver, Wimberly caught at least one pass in every game.

But statistics aside, there are some intangibles about Wimberly that I really like.  First of all, his recovery from the gunshot wound is quite remarkable. He clearly has the desire and the heart to play.

Secondly, he has great hands. During 2009 and 2010, Wimberly was a go-to receiver for then Nevada QB, Colin Kaepernick. Known for having one of the strongest arms in the NFL, it takes really good hands to catch his laser guided RPGs. 

Just ask Randy Moss how hard Kaepernick throws. Earlier this season, Moss suffered a dislocated finger just catching a Kaepernick pass, the first time he has ever suffered such an injury. Afterward, Moss commented about Kapernick's arm strength. http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-01-19/falcons-vs-49ers-nfc-championship-game-matt-ryan-atlanta-sports-history-san-fran

Well, Wimberly can catch Kaepernick's passes. He caught a lot of them. If he can do that, he has NFL hands. Put that together with his intangible inner strength and you have a winning combination. I would definitely place him among the top half of wide receivers available. The team that drafts Brandon Wimberly will get one of the most under-appreciated prospects available.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Here is a "dream scenario"...  I've seen some of these players projected at these spots, but some of their stock may rise by draft day.  This would be an awesome draft, IMO...

29). Trent Murphy   OLB/ DE   Stanford

62)  Troy Niklas  TE    ND

65)  DaQuan Jones  DT  PSU  *from Hou for Mallett, NE also gets Houston's 2015 3rd)

68)  Shane Skov  LB  Stanford  *from ATL, NE gives up #96, #125, & #189

103) AJ McCarron  QB  Alabama  *from Oak, NE gives up Stevan Ridley and #221

119)  Brian Stork  OL  FSU  *from KC, NE gives up 2015 3rd and #182

6th Rnd Comp)  RB  Devonta Freeman  FSU

6th Rnd Comp)  DT  Beau Allen  Wisconsin 

7th  Rnd Comp)  CB  Bene Benwikere  Fresno St.

Priority UDFA  Gator Hoskins  TE/FB  Marshall

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

I agree with you except in one small detail. You are far to generous in your "special" talent assesment. I'd say the 1st 15 players (-3 to +10) on avg are far an away having the opportunity because of god given gifts to be far better than the other players in the draft. (whether heart, attitude, want to, ect., take them there who knows) Those who take advantage of the gifts are the one who teams most often need to game plan for in some way. After that, meh I think many of the guys end up having the same chances regardless of where they get picked. I also believe BB feels atleast somewhat similar and is why he often trades out of the end of the bottom of 1st if he's not in that 1st 15 picks (+10) or so.

Heck 30% of all active NFL rosters are UFA's. There are currently more UFA's active in the NFL than 1st round draft picks. 

Look at the Seahawks Defense. #1 Defense in the NFL this season. 6 or 7 of the starting players on that defense were drafted in rounds 4-7.

Seahawks offense on the other hand. 17th in total offense yet they have 8 of their starters on offfense who were drafted in the top 3 rounds.

Seems the unit comprised of the late rounders is the better unit.

In 2012, out of all "drafted" players...

1st rounders filled more rosters by a margin of about 60 more players than any other single rounds.

2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounders were all bout the same numbers per round active in the NFL. There were about 50 more than the 5th and 7th rounders.

5th and 7th rounders were next and about equal in numbers represented on active rosters. They were about 20 more than 6th rounders.

6th rounders active in the NFL, for whatever reason, were the least or last represented.

UFA's as stated earlier were the most dominant active workforce on NFL rosters. About 140 more players than 1st rounders.

Low, there are only 32 possible 1st rounders, vs the Pats and Tampa alone have that many in camp. It goes to show that of the 256 players in the draft more players leave the league every year then 256. Of course PS players count as active workforce and the vast majority of teams PS players are UDFA so right there alone there are more PS players then players drafted each year.As for Sea's  D, they are the exception not the rule. You don't usually find starting caliber players in UDFA. It generally doesn't happen. How many UDFA's has BB had over the years and how many have made a pro-bowl? Heck ho may were starting players not due to injury? Even more so how many have lasted on the team longer then 3 yrs? Can you find talent in the UDFA's sure, can you find talent in day 3, sure but time and time again it's proven ratio wise the highest likely hood of finding talent is in day 1 and early day 2 and it's not even close. For every round you go back the chances drop in half. In the 1st finding a high level starter is just over 1:2 by th time yu reach UDFA it's around 1:256.

It's true top 15 talent is still the top of the pack but again with BB's own drafts we see a clear difference between top 16-32 players and players in the 50-100 range. Can you find a tope 32 type of player in the 50-100 range, sure but you are more likely to not see that talent. Just look at BB's own drafts and tell me which of those in that range he drafted really lived up to first round talent and didn't drop in the draft because of red flags (ie Gronk's back, Hern's gang affiliations, Vollmers back and lack of football experience)

PS players were not used in the stats, I do not believe??

Also the stats are NOT for a single years worth of new players. They were for all players on the active roster of all teams.

It points out that the majority of even the 1st rnd players are NOT lasting long or at all(Busts).

We agree those top 15-25 guys (I mean the real ones, NOT the drafted ones) are the "special" talents but they do not all get drafted in the top 15-25. BIG difference in what I was saying.

My point is that unless you are drafting in the top 15-25 you have to be really really sure you have one of those guys if you are drafting outside that in the 27-32 range or I see no reason to not try and get a trade down and draft in the next two rounds where the statistics continually show those players to have the same longevity and success rate in that range(on a % basis not individual basis).

In the 2012 reference, the 2012 reference just meant that it was the year the rosters were calculated after final cut down day. NOT that 2012 was the only year the players were calculated for (meaning it was not the 2012 draft yr alone). It was all players on every roster not just the new entries into the league in 2012.

Stats as with all stats clearly do not tell all. Not in the least here either.

In fact in 2012 the JETS had the most 1st rounders on their roster of any team in the league with 16 1st rounders.  They went 6-10 on the season.

The 49ers had the 2nd most with 15 1st rounders. They went 11-4 on the season.

Both those teams were outliers as the top "group" of teams had between 8-10 1st rounders.

The report also showed that the teams who most often had sustained quality of teams AND had one of the higher totals for UDFAs on their roster also had another thing in common. Paying a QB top end Money.

Teams like the Packers, Saints, and Cowboys carried the most UDFAs. While teams like the Broncos and Pats were only a couple behind.

At cutdown day in 2012 the Bengals had the most combined 1st and 2nd rounders on the roster with 23. They went 10-6 on the season.

The Ravens, who won the superbowl, and the Patriots both had 17 combined 1st and 2nd rounders on the team.

Sorry to burst peoples bubbles but the Patriots, contrary to peoples beliefs of convincing themselves otherwise, are right up their with the higher number of players taken in the 1st and 2nd round with the exception of 4 or 5 outlier teams.

In fact, if people really wanted to gripe at a hole in their drafting they should be looking at the 3rd and 4th rounders. That's are near the top in 1st rounders (1st tier group outside the outliers). They are right on the line of the outlier group for 2nd rounders. However their 3rd and 4th rounders are on the low side of roster representation compared to the league.

End of cut down day 2012...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Here is a "dream scenario"...  I've seen some of these players projected at these spots, but some of their stock may rise by draft day.  This would be an awesome draft, IMO...

65)  DaQuan Jones  DT  PSU  *from Hou for Mallett, NE also gets Houston's 2015 3rd)

6th Rnd Comp)  WR  Cody Latimer  Indiana

LOVE this draft. both Stanford guys love be great additions to this D, Daquan Jones is a good DT depth filler and McCarron is a PAtriot= winner.
    also get TE depth while Gronk is out.

would love this draft.

good post Wazzu

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

LOVE this draft. both Stanford guys love be great additions to this D, Daquan Jones is a good DT depth filler and McCarron is a PAtriot= winner.

would love this draft.

good post Wazzu

Thanks Man.  After your reply I replaced Latimer with FSU RB Freeman.  Needed to throw a RB in there to replace Ridley in this scenario since I traded him, and I'm hoping that Mark Harrison can come up big this offseason and eliminate the need at WR.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Low look at your chart. If the average lifespan of an NFL player is less than 4 yrs yet every team has over 7 1st round picks that means on average 1st round picks not only last longer but more of them last in the league. Actually according to that chart every 1st round pick for 8.65 years have made it in the league. Now we know that's not possible but just goes to show how many 1st round picks tend to last and last a long time. UDFA's however, can come in go every year and teams aren't limited to how many they can pick each year so of course they are going to make up the largest number of picks. But looking at this chart just goes to show if you want players who have longevity in the league (most likely meaning they are actually good players) 1st and 2nd rounders are the way to go by far and away

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kezzamuzza. Show kezzamuzza's posts

MB

Regarding TE's I notice you have Ebron out of our reach and Niklas in the first round. Meaning you rate Amaro the second best TE?

Think the big question already mentioned is how BB rates current DL candidates compared to draft. Injuries and contracts will play a big part in that.

How do you rate our need for a TE over DL considering Gronk may have an interrupted season and our present ones don't scare anyone. Can we take a DL in the first and think the best one left will do the job and what teams will go for a TE in the first or second you think?

Big drop from our first to second pick. Worries me. Mallett trade?

Which TE suits our system best and who is the best blocker? What about Lynch and Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Fiedorowicz?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

would love this draft.

good post Wazzu

Thanks Man.  After your reply I replaced Latimer with FSU RB Freeman.  Needed to throw a RB in there to replace Ridley in this scenario since I traded him, and I'm hoping that Mark Harrison can come up big this offseason and eliminate the need at WR.

You can't trade comp picks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

yeah actually that was the only big thing i didnt like was the trading Ridley.. I think BLount may leave and Blount isnt consistent enough to lead us imo. If ridley get over the fumble issue, which i think he did, he will be a 1200 yard back again.

but like I said besides that everyone else are finds and fill big needs

• You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

would love this draft.

good post Wazzu

I know.  I didn't trade any comp picks.  We have 2 6th rounders and no 5th this year.  In my projection I traded both 6ths and our 7th.  Kept all projected comp picks.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Another all star game, looks like players from South Carolina - QB Boyd will play.  Looks like a lot of UDFAs on the roster. Seems like a trend here with more and more events to expose and evaluate talent.

http://www.thecollegeallstarbowl.com/

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Another all star game, looks like players from South Carolina - QB Boyd will play.  Looks like a lot of UDFAs on the roster. Seems like a trend here with more and more events to expose and evaluate talent.

http://www.thecollegeallstarbowl.com/

I think it's a good idea... gives some relatively unknown kids a chance to shine.  Boyd is smart to play in this game after his lackluster SB performance, though there's also a risk if he doesn't play well.

At the end of the day, you can probably count on BB drafting someone from this game on Day 2 ;).

In response to kezzamuzza's comment:

MB

Regarding TE's I notice you have Ebron out of our reach and Niklas in the first round. Meaning you rate Amaro the second best TE?

Think the big question already mentioned is how BB rates current DL candidates compared to draft. Injuries and contracts will play a big part in that.

How do you rate our need for a TE over DL considering Gronk may have an interrupted season and our present ones don't scare anyone. Can we take a DL in the first and think the best one left will do the job and what teams will go for a TE in the first or second you think?

Big drop from our first to second pick. Worries me. Mallett trade?

Which TE suits our system best and who is the best blocker? What about Lynch and Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Fiedorowicz?

Hey Kez,

At this point, I'm high on both Niklas and Amaro and woud be pretty happy to land either in Rd 1, or the Top 40 or so.

If Gronk isn't back to start the season, TE is clearly the weakest position group on the roster.  I also think there are a few TE's out there that BB could target in FA (i.e. Buffalo's Scott Chandler).  With that said, I'm still of the belief that you build from the inside out and VW and TK aren't getting any younger... so IF they can land a Nix or Tuitt or even a Hageman in Rd 1, I think it'd be tough to pass up, but I have Niklas and Amaro right in the Rd 1 discussion as well... as mentioned above.

Trading Mallet will be an option until Day 2 passes... then we'll know for sure.  Personally, I haven't seen anything out of the kid when he's received snaps in the preseason, but I don't see what they see behind closed doors.  I think he's expendable and if they can get good value for him, they should trade him.

The best blocker in this class is Troy Niklas, kid is a giant and very athletic.  Lynch is also a good blocker inline.  ASJ is solid there as well, but I just don't like this kid's in game temperament... he's certainly an option for them, but not in Rd 1, IMO.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

One of Bill Walsh's philosphies in the Draft:

Watch out for Players from downtrodden Progarms-particulary ones that just fired their Head Coach- being unfairly downgraded.
    In Walsh's mind, players from a program that just fired its Coach pay a price in Draft evaluation. Coaches rarely admit the real reason for their termination-bad Coaching-instead placing the blame on bad players. These side effects of a losing culture can taint a Scout's visit to a particular school. Walsh INSISTED, that all College Prospects in this situation had to be examined closely.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

pre superbowl mock draft, let me know what you guys think.  I think this draft fixes many of the holes we have on this team and with the IR players returning we would be in good shapefor next season.  

1st round - (trade 1st and 6th for 2, 3, 5th round picks) 

2nd round(from trade of 1st round pick)- Travis Swanson C, Arkansas- wendell is too small

2nd round- (trade for mallett)- Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford.- lets add pressure on opposing QB and shift Nink back to OLB to help make up for the loss of spikes

2nd round - Carlos Hyde, RB, The Ohio State University- with the uncertainty of Blount and the possibility of Ridley leaving soon we need another stud RB.  Hyde can catch, block, and run.  Not to mention he is hard to stop.

3rd round (from trade) - Daquan Jones, DT Penn State - wilfor and kely both had major injuries.  We need to start thinking about the future

3rd round - Ahmad Dixon, SS, Baylor - Gregory isn't th answer, A. Wilson got injured, maybe this guy could learn from Wilson in the offseason and be the hard hitting safety we need

4th round - AJ McCarron, QB, Bama- with mallett traded we need a new backup

5th round (from trade) Brandon Coleman, WR Rutgers- Big WR with good hands, might be able to be used asa TE?

6th round - Cornelius Lucas, OT Kansas State

6th round- traded

7th round- Max Bullough, ILB Michigan State- has some issues but is a very vocal leader on one of the best Defenses in all of college football, could make up for the loss of spikes

7th round (potential compensatory) - Colt Lyera, TE Oregon - troubled kid, yes.  Lots of potential, low risk high reward pick.  see dennard, janoris jenkins.....I think our locker room is strong enough to keep him in line, if not cut him. The only thing we would lose would be a 7th round pick 

UDFA- Brandon Wimberly, WR, Nevada- strong hands, big WR another deep threat could be transitioned into a TE potentially

UDFA- Kenny guiton, QB, Ohio State- good arm, good accuracy, semi mobile.  Shined when given the opportunity to play.  Would be a great player to bring into camp and see if he sticks.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Bill Walsh told Lombardi that you dont fix the reciever problem until everything else is fixed. He Drafted 2 Reciever in the top 130 in his tenure. Rice after he went 15-1 and blew out Miami in SB, and John Taylor 3rd round.
    Found this site www.sportsxchange.com/ds97
    On how one of the best minds in the NFL broke down each position.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Here is someone that I am rooting for to be drafted.  I was just watched some video of Nevada and Boise St.  He flashed all over the field.  Great hands.  He doesn't have the speed but his route running and hands are excellent.  This article has him listed at 215 lbs, everywhere else has him at 225lbs. Could be that move tight end. 

NFL Draft: Why Nevada WR Brandon Wimberly Should Be Drafted By Michael Patmas , CorrespondentJan 28, 2013

Next ARTICLE » Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports1.6K Reads 4 Comments

In June 2011, Brandon Wimberly came within inches of death. An unknown assailant shot him in the abdomen. The bullet just missed his aorta. After spending days in the ICU during which his very survival was in doubt, any prospect of a return to football seemed out of reach. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6676084

Wimberly missed the entire 2011 season. Astonishingly, he returned to play in 2012, had a spectacular season and now stands at the brink of what would have been unthinkable in those touch and go days in the ICU—being drafted into the NFL.

Right now, Wimberly is not high up on anyone's draft board, except for mine, that is. I think Wimberly is an underrated prospect.

The 6'3", 215-pound wide receiver  amassed some pretty impressive stats during his collegiate career: 164 receptions for 2,060 yards and 10 touchdowns. He also had one punt return for 19 yards and nine rushes for 63 yards. A consistent and sure handed receiver, Wimberly caught at least one pass in every game.

But statistics aside, there are some intangibles about Wimberly that I really like.  First of all, his recovery from the gunshot wound is quite remarkable. He clearly has the desire and the heart to play.

Secondly, he has great hands. During 2009 and 2010, Wimberly was a go-to receiver for then Nevada QB, Colin Kaepernick. Known for having one of the strongest arms in the NFL, it takes really good hands to catch his laser guided RPGs. 

Just ask Randy Moss how hard Kaepernick throws. Earlier this season, Moss suffered a dislocated finger just catching a Kaepernick pass, the first time he has ever suffered such an injury. Afterward, Moss commented about Kapernick's arm strength. http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-01-19/falcons-vs-49ers-nfc-championship-game-matt-ryan-atlanta-sports-history-san-fran

Well, Wimberly can catch Kaepernick's passes. He caught a lot of them. If he can do that, he has NFL hands. Put that together with his intangible inner strength and you have a winning combination. I would definitely place him among the top half of wide receivers available. The team that drafts Brandon Wimberly will get one of the most under-appreciated prospects available.

Thank you for bringing up Wimberly. He's one kid whose stats intrigued me. I just have not written about him because he does not have a lot of videos on the web. There's one on youtube, but it is a highlight reel. I have stated on an earlier post that I'd like to get a sense of what he is like - highlights and lowlights - during an entire game.

But, since you bring him up, let me explain at least the reasons I am interested in him.

The article did not mention it, but he is tied with Allen Robinson for rank 13 in number of catches in 2013 (97 catches). For context, Dobson's (also 6'3") best year was in 2012 when he caught 57 - not even nearly as good as Wimberly's second best year of 70 catches. In 2009 (rookie year) and 2010, he respectively caught 53 and 41 passes from Kaepernick. 

That consistency in number of catches tells me this. The QBs like throwing to him. They trust him. That probably means he gets open a lot and he probably does not drop a lot of balls.

He did not catch for as many yards (989) as Robinson (1432). Robinson was more consistent in catching long balls. Robinson had nine games with catches of 40+ yards. Wimberly had seven 20+ yards, only one was for 40+. But that could be more of a function of what their respective QBs could do, which probably dictated their offensive schemes. 

Another possible explanation for his fewer yards can be see in the only youtube I could find of Wimberly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpLdPrDxebY

His catches in the video are slot receiver-like. His movement in this video were of a slot receiver - short bursts where he caught balls with a defender close by. He seems to do well catching contested balls, by using his body to shield. Has moves to get some YAC. The video also shows he has an instinct for protecting himself in traffic. His big numbers seems to confirm he does not get hurt often. 

So, he could well be a durable 6-3, 215-225 lb slot receiver with hands that can catch Kaepernick's fastball. Red zone weapon?

I know we have Amendola, Edelman and Moe. Edelman could be leaving. Amendola, I do not trust to be available for more than half the games. Moes has an achilles injury that has sidelined him the whole year. I know people receover from knee ligament tears, but do people even recover from achilles injuries well enough to compete at a high level - especially slot recievers who have to do a lot of cutting? Frankly, I do not think the Pats should plan around having any of Amendola or Moe available all year. Boyce? I like him outside.

Here's the good part. CBSports does not even rank Wimberly among the top 40 receivers. Walterfootball does not have him in their 4 round mock. This kid is projecting to be picked late in the third day or even FA. Wimberly could be a low pick who has shown capability to be a workhorse of a receiver - consistently catching as many passes as a first rounder (That is where Robinson is projected).

On the idea of putting him in TE. Yeah, he could be AH's replacement. So he has flexibility to fill in the former roles of AH or WW. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Did Wilson's SB success just help Manziel get picked near the top of the draft?

Did Seattle's win shift teams' draft focus to the defensive side of the ball?

Interesting observation: Thomas and Irvin are the only first rounders among Seattle's defensive starters. Most of them were picked in the third or later.

BTW, here is a pre-draft report I found on NFL.com, on...

RICHARD SHERMAN Overview

Sherman is a size prospect with some good intangibles that will help him mold into a contributing backup corner for a press-heavy team. However, he does not possess the natural coverage instincts, fluidity or burst to be considered a future starter. Is comfortable and capable in press man, using his size to disrupt receivers' releases off the line, but doesn't show enough make up speed to consistently recover when beaten. Awareness in zone and off-man are only adequate. Has average ball skills but some upside as a playmaker. Tough against the run but still developing from a technical standpoint. Sherman is a Day 3 prospect.

Analysis Strengths

Sherman possesses rare height for a corner with enough bulk and speed. Effective when lined up at the line in press man coverage. Uses length well and established sound initial positioning. Flashes the ability to turn and run. Flashes the ability to high-point the football. Willing to help out in run support.

Weaknesses

Can be baited out of position when in zone and a tick late to diagnose underneath routes. Tall, high-cut prospect who displays some hip-stiffness. Not explosive when transitioning or when changing direction. Lacks great recovery skills when beaten off the line. Can struggle tacking in the open field at times.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Did Wilson's SB success just help Manziel get picked near the top of the draft?

Did Seattle's win shift teams' draft focus to the defensive side of the ball?

Interesting observation: Thomas and Irvin are the only first rounders among Seattle's defensive starters. Most of them were picked in the third or later.

BTW, here is a pre-draft report I found on NFL.com, on...

RICHARD SHERMAN Overview

Sherman is a size prospect with some good intangibles that will help him mold into a contributing backup corner for a press-heavy team. However, he does not possess the natural coverage instincts, fluidity or burst to be considered a future starter. Is comfortable and capable in press man, using his size to disrupt receivers' releases off the line, but doesn't show enough make up speed to consistently recover when beaten. Awareness in zone and off-man are only adequate. Has average ball skills but some upside as a playmaker. Tough against the run but still developing from a technical standpoint. Sherman is a Day 3 prospect.

Analysis Strengths

Sherman possesses rare height for a corner with enough bulk and speed. Effective when lined up at the line in press man coverage. Uses length well and established sound initial positioning. Flashes the ability to turn and run. Flashes the ability to high-point the football. Willing to help out in run support.

Weaknesses

Can be baited out of position when in zone and a tick late to diagnose underneath routes. Tall, high-cut prospect who displays some hip-stiffness. Not explosive when transitioning or when changing direction. Lacks great recovery skills when beaten off the line. Can struggle tacking in the open field at times.

Some good points.  How can a guy like Sherman morph into a top flite corner from his college days?  Chancellor is another.  I remember reading about him on this blog and how he would be decent not great.  Seattle coaching must be credited in putting these players in a scheme that plays to their strengths.  The players need credit also. They wanted to get better and they did.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

would love this draft.

good post Wazzu

I know.  I didn't trade any comp picks.  We have 2 6th rounders and no 5th this year.  In my projection I traded both 6ths and our 7th.  Kept all projected comp picks.

... I just re-read your original post it looks like maybe I misread how the trade was written, you just had the finish of the trade on the wrong, line and it probably was a typo from BDC. Sorry about the confusion..

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

pre superbowl mock draft, let me know what you guys think.  I think this draft fixes many of the holes we have on this team and with the IR players returning we would be in good shapefor next season.  

1st round - (trade 1st and 6th for 2, 3, 5th round picks) 

I really hate the notion of trading back to cast the net wide on players hoping you find someone similar to talent in the first round while getting an extra depth guy from it. Personal opinion but if BB is as good with UDFA's as everyone thinks why do we need the extra mid round picks to pick up depth guys when you can stay in the 1st and get more of a sure thing then one in the 2nd or 3rd rounds?

2nd round(from trade of 1st round pick)- Travis Swanson C, Arkansas- wendell is too small

Good pick up, would like him but also think C isn't overly talented this year on the top end and could find a similar player in rounds 3-4

2nd round- (trade for mallett)- Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford.- lets add pressure on opposing QB and shift Nink back to OLB to help make up for the loss of spikes

If you can get a 2nd for Mallett great but Murphy might be gone in the back of the 1st

2nd round - Carlos Hyde, RB, The Ohio State University- with the uncertainty of Blount and the possibility of Ridley leaving soon we need another stud RB.  Hyde can catch, block, and run.  Not to mention he is hard to stop.

I love Hyde but we already invested a 2nd and 3rd into RBs 2 years ago and more pressing needs imo

3rd round (from trade) - Daquan Jones, DT Penn State - wilfor and kely both had major injuries.  We need to start thinking about the future

Would love this pick up. Not in my first 3 choices but he might be 4th on my list for DT's so in the 3rd would be a great spot

3rd round - Ahmad Dixon, SS, Baylor - Gregory isn't th answer, A. Wilson got injured, maybe this guy could learn from Wilson in the offseason and be the hard hitting safety we need

Not overly high on Dixon. Good player but not sure on how high his ceiling is. Just seems like a hard hitting Harmon with a little less speed

4th round - AJ McCarron, QB, Bama- with mallett traded we need a new backup

McCarron wouldn't be a bad choice here actually. If they trade Mallett this would be a good pick up

5th round (from trade) Brandon Coleman, WR Rutgers- Big WR with good hands, might be able to be used asa TE?

Not a chance Coleman makes it this far. Look for more of a problem child like Hoffman to drop then Coleman

6th round - Cornelius Lucas, OT Kansas State

Solid OT pickup

6th round- traded

7th round- Max Bullough, ILB Michigan State- has some issues but is a very vocal leader on one of the best Defenses in all of college football, could make up for the loss of spikes

7th round (potential compensatory) - Colt Lyera, TE Oregon - troubled kid, yes.  Lots of potential, low risk high reward pick.  see dennard, janoris jenkins.....I think our locker room is strong enough to keep him in line, if not cut him. The only thing we would lose would be a 7th round pick 

No, no, no, no, may.... no Dennard and Jenkins both never quit on there teams. Lyera not only has drug issues but has no heart and isn't willing to fight for a spot on a team through trouble rather then pack things up and quit. 

UDFA- Brandon Wimberly, WR, Nevada- strong hands, big WR another deep threat could be transitioned into a TE potentially

UDFA- Kenny guiton, QB, Ohio State- good arm, good accuracy, semi mobile.  Shined when given the opportunity to play.  Would be a great player to bring into camp and see if he sticks.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

1) Jace Amaro. TE.  tex tech

2) T Swanson C

3)K McGill DB Utah

3)D Jones DT. Penn State (trade for Mallett)

4) A Mcarron QB Alabama

5) J Bitinio OG Nevada

6) Walt Aikens Db Liberty

7) D Coleman DT California

My Rd 1 board is starting to come into clearer focus.  I've had Zack Martin at the top for quite a while, but I've resigned myself to the fact that he's probably gone before pick 29, same with Nix, Dennard and Gilbert.

With that said, I'm at (5) fairly realistic options for NE in Rd 1:

1.  Louisville S Calvin Pryor

2.  ND DL Stephon Tuitt

3.  Minnesota DL Ra'shede Hageman

4.  ND TE Troy Niklas

5.  TTU TE Jace Amaro

Some may scoff at the idea of taking Pryor in this spot, but outside of one of the DT's, I don't see a better player possibly being available and I think we've seen what kind of impact a big, versatile, rangy, physical and athletic S can have on a defense..  I fully acknowledge that TE remains a need, but I just think the Top 3 are better players.

At the end of the day, I'd be pretty happy with any of the (5).

• Sections
    Shortcuts