***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to natesubs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

pre superbowl mock draft, let me know what you guys think.  I think this draft fixes many of the holes we have on this team and with the IR players returning we would be in good shapefor next season.  

1st round - (trade 1st and 6th for 2, 3, 5th round picks) 

[/QUOTE]

I'd take that trade but use the picks differently.

RND 2 (from Trade) - DT D Jones (big DT with active legs to rush passer)

RND 2 (assigned) - TE T Niklas (best blocking TE to complement ground game + catch ability)

RND 3 (from trade) - C B Stork (an upgrade to Wendell is needed)

RND 3 (assigned) - CB K Fuller (I think was the best CB before he got sports hernia)

RND 4 (assigned) - DT J Ellis (another big DT with active legs)

RND 5 (from trade) - DE W Clarke (Better complement to CJ and Nink, than Carter)

RND 6/7 (assigned) - WR B Wimberly (6'3", 220 who moves like a slot receiver = RZ weapon)

Pats could also trade out of the first for a 2015 first + 2014 third. If so, I am leaning towards keeping the Niklas pick.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

pre superbowl mock draft, let me know what you guys think.  I think this draft fixes many of the holes we have on this team and with the IR players returning we would be in good shapefor next season.  

[/QUOTE]

RND 2 (assigned) - TE T Niklas (best blocking TE to complement ground game + catch ability)

RND 3 (assigned) - CB K Fuller (I think was the best CB before he got sports hernia)

RND 5 (from trade) - DE W Clarke (Better complement to CJ and Nink, than Carter)

RND 6/7 (assigned) - WR B Wimberly (6'3", 220 who moves like a slot receiver = RZ weapon)

Pats could also trade out of the first for a 2015 first + 2014 third. If so, I am leaning towards keeping the Niklas pick.

[/QUOTE]

Would really, really like this outcome.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, MB, my track record with guessing BB's preferences in draft picks has been really really bad.

What do you think can be learned from last night's game? Or what aspects of Seattle's team construction could NEP easily adopt for next year?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, MB, my track record with guessing BB's preferences in draft picks has been really really bad.

What do you think can be learned from last night's game? Or what aspects of Seattle's team construction could NEP easily adopt for next year?

[/QUOTE]

The first thing that popped into my head is, wow... we're still lacking a try tone setter in the secondary.  There isn't a ball carrier in the NFL that's scared of DMC (a good player) or any other S on the roster... and they haven't really had a smart/physical S since Rodney.

The 2nd thing was their completed control of the LOS... getting VW/TK back is gonna help, but they need to add talent to that position, regardless.   Jones and Vellano are nice to have depth/sub-package players, but they can't afford to let teams gouge them on the ground... resulting in solid gains on early downs and short/med yardage needed on third down.  You combine that with their lax/zone D and it's a bad recipe for getting off the field.

The 3rd element was the WR corp... they don't really have a "big" WR, with Kearse (6-1 209) being the largest... so for the amount that fans complain about wanting a big WR, I prefer that they just get system fits, players that can get open and create after the catch, much like SEA's WR's did.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

My Rd 1 board is starting to come into clearer focus.  I've had Zack Martin at the top for quite a while, but I've resigned myself to the fact that he's probably gone before pick 29, same with Nix, Dennard and Gilbert.

With that said, I'm at (5) fairly realistic options for NE in Rd 1:

1.  Lousiville S Calvin Pryor

2.  ND DL Stephon Tuitt

3.  Minnesota DL Ra'shede Hageman

4.  ND TE Troy Niklas

5.  TTU TE Jace Amaro

Some may scoff at the idea of taking Pryor in this spot, but outside of one of the DT's, I don't see a better player possibly being available and I think we've seen what kind of impact a big, versatile, rangy, physical and athletic S can have on a defense..  I fully acknowledge that TE remains a need, but I just think the Top 3 are better players.

At the end of the day, I'd be pretty happy with any of the (5).

I'll be honest.  I think Niklas will be the only one there.  From now until the draft those other four will move up.  Tuitt is too good to drop to 29 unless he is seen only as a 34DE. They are already talking how Hageman has measureables better than any DT that was at the 2013 combine.  Amaro may be there but he is being promoted as a great hands route runner TE.  If runs well he is gone.  Pryor could go as early as 14 to Chicago.  He is that good, unless he runs poorly. GB may jump on him at 21 or Phili at 22.  Now if Niklas blows up the combine we are in trouble. (Ha Ha)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

My Rd 1 board is starting to come into clearer focus.  I've had Zack Martin at the top for quite a while, but I've resigned myself to the fact that he's probably gone before pick 29, same with Nix, Dennard and Gilbert.

2.  ND DL Stephon Tuitt

4.  ND TE Troy Niklas

5.  TTU TE Jace Amaro

Some may scoff at the idea of taking Pryor in this spot, but outside of one of the DT's, I don't see a better player possibly being available and I think we've seen what kind of impact a big, versatile, rangy, physical and athletic S can have on a defense..  I fully acknowledge that TE remains a need, but I just think the Top 3 are better players.

[/QUOTE]
    I'll be honest.  I think Niklas will be the only one there.  From now until the draft those other four will move up.  Tuitt is too good to drop to 29 unless he is seen only as a 34DE. They are already talking how Hageman has measureables better than any DT that was at the 2013 combine.  Amaro may be there but he is being promoted as a great hands route runner TE.  If runs well he is gone.  Pryor could go as early as 14 to Chicago.  He is that good, unless he runs poorly. GB may jump on him at 21 or Phili at 22.  Now if Niklas blows up the combine we are in trouble. (Ha Ha)

[/QUOTE]

You could very well be right, at which time, I think you could and prob would see BB trade back a bit... with the idea of landing Niklas and DaQuan Jones at some point in Rd 2.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The first thing that popped into my head is, wow... we're still lacking a try tone setter in the secondary.  There isn't a ball carrier in the NFL that's scared of DMC (a good player) or any other S on the roster... and they haven't really had a smart/physical S since Rodney.

The 2nd thing was their completed control of the LOS... getting VW/TK back is gonna help, but they need to add talent to that position, regardless.   Jones and Vellano are nice to have depth/sub-package players, but they can't afford to let teams gouge them on the ground... resulting in solid gains on early downs and short/med yardage needed on third down.  You combine that with their lax/zone D and it's a bad recipe for getting off the field.

The 3rd element was the WR corp... they don't really have a "big" WR, with Kearse (6-1 209) being the largest... so for the amount that fans complain about wanting a big WR, I prefer that they just get system fits, players that can get open and create after the catch, much like SEA's WR's did.  

[/QUOTE]

Good points. My responses below.

Control of LOS:

They rotated the following on their DL: Avril (260 lbs), Bennett (274), Clemons (254), McDonald (297), McDaniel (305), Mebane (311). They seldom had two 300 lb guys. It was all about speed - a la NASCAR package. Their DLs were making side to side pursuits. Every now and then, Wagner would rush. Even against the run, their LBs read fast and moved fast.

I think Seattle was lucky they led early. Denver's run game could not be utilized much.

NEP is constructed differently.  I still like big DTs, but big DTs with motors than constantly turn.

But NEP has to be able to a smaller, ultra-fast DL against passing teams. That's why I went for Clarke. I wanted Smith, but could not fit him in.

Tone Setter

I think you get that in FA. Does Ihedigbo count as a tone setter?

Absence of Big WRs

If TB had the same ability to extend plays with his legs as RW has, I would agree. I think a lot of critical 3rd down conversions were because RW extended plays that forced some DBs to disengage, allowing RW to make his throws on the run. TB needs bigger receivers becasue he cannot move where he is passing from.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good points. My responses below.

Control of LOS:

They rotated the following on their DL: Avril (260 lbs), Bennett (274), Clemons (254), McDonald (297), McDaniel (305), Mebane (311). They seldom had two 300 lb guys. It was all about speed - a la NASCAR package. Their DLs were making side to side pursuits. Every now and then, Wagner would rush. Even against the run, their LBs read fast and moved fast.

I think Seattle was lucky they led early. Denver's run game could not be utilized much.

NEP is constructed differently.  I still like big DTs, but big DTs with motors than constantly turn.

But NEP has to be able to a smaller, ultra-fast DL against passing teams. That's why I went for Clarke. I wanted Smith, but could not fit him in.

Tone Setter

I think you get that in FA. Does Ihedigbo count as a tone setter?

Absence of Big WRs

If TB had the same ability to extend plays with his legs as RW has, I would agree. I think a lot of critical 3rd down conversions were because RW extended plays that forced some DBs to disengage, allowing RW to make his throws on the run. TB needs bigger receivers becasue he cannot move where he is passing from.

[/QUOTE]

Don't forget about Red Bryant... overall, they have plenty of beef up front if needed, but can also come after you with speed as you mentioned... just a tone of depth and versatility on the roster... but they're definitely more of an attacking style D.

You can make the FA argument for almost any position.  Personally, I don't want Ihedigbo back... he can hit though and did have a good year in Baltimore.

You make some good points about TB and his mobility as it pertains to WR, but something also needs to be said for a players ability to seperate.  BB clearly prefers WR's with speed and good COD/agility, and it's not always easy to find a big/taller WR that that level of coordination/foot quickness.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Still responding to you, MB. Just did not want to include all the other stuff, to keep this short.

I come from the perspective that there is no one formulat to win it all. You're comment about roster versatility is key. Speed is good.

That said, I think trying to emulate their style is counter productive. I am not talking about their aggressiveness. I think that is one style of being aggressive. There are other styles that could be mroe appropriate for the personnel that NEP has.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

2.  ND DL Stephon Tuitt

4.  ND TE Troy Niklas

5.  TTU TE Jace Amaro

[/QUOTE]

You could very well be right, at which time, I think you could and prob would see BB trade back a bit... with the idea of landing Niklas and DaQuan Jones at some point in Rd 2.

[/QUOTE]

Right on MB.  I agree.  When BB sees a range where a group of players are the same and if  he feels he can get the same caliber of player at #36 then he usually moves back. That extra pick could be used to move back up in the second rd also.  Van Noy could be an option in the 40 range.  Also read Niklas has concussion problems, any truth to this?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Wow thank God the Super Bowl is out of the way! Now maybe we can concentrate on the actual needs for the the Patriots for 2014!! 3 positions are absolutely necessary: Strong safety, Defensive Tackle 2 technique preferebly, and TE. So with these guidelines we can all turn our attention to these positions as key to a successful 2014. Before we try and solve the rubics cube known as the NFL draft, there will be a fairly long FA period. So the question is simple are there any players who are all ready NFL players who can fill any of the three need positions vacancies?

Also for the guys who really enjoy mocking your heydays are coming as the combine begins in two weeks... Your work is just beginning! After moths of talking about the college players you like for the Patriots or just as draftable players, now will be tested both physically and mentally. So get your pencils sharpened and pay attention and maybe you will be able to tell which player is on track to be drafted by NEP's

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

Still responding to you, MB. Just did not want to include all the other stuff, to keep this short.

I come from the perspective that there is no one formulat to win it all. You're comment about roster versatility is key. Speed is good.

That said, I think trying to emulate their style is counter productive. I am not talking about their aggressiveness. I think that is one style of being aggressive. There are other styles that could be mroe appropriate for the personnel that NEP has.

[/QUOTE]

I wasn't suggesting that they should change their scheme, there's certainly more than one way to be successful.  What I was suggesting is that they need to improve their talent/depth up front and their athleticism/physicality on the back end.

What I like best about Seattle's D was how they swarmed to the football, coming in hot and seldom giving up much YAC.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Wow thank God the Super Bowl is out of the way! Now maybe we can concentrate on the actual needs for the the Patriots for 2014!! 3 positions are absolutely necessary: Strong safety, Defensive Tackle 2 technique preferebly, and TE. So with these guidelines we can all turn our attention to these positions as key to a successful 2014. Before we try and solve the rubics cube known as the NFL draft, there will be a fairly long FA period. So the question is simple are there any players who are all ready NFL players who can fill any of the three need positions vacancies?

Also for the guys who really enjoy mocking your heydays are coming as the combine begins in two weeks... Your work is just beginning! After moths of talking about the college players you like for the Patriots or just as draftable players, now will be tested both physically and mentally. So get your pencils sharpened and pay attention and maybe you will be able to tell which player is on track to be drafted by NEP's

We'll certainly have a better idea of the all important triangle #'s (40, SS & 3C, etc.) with the combine/pro-days on the horizon.  They're not the tell all, but BB does value them as they reflect a players speed, COD and lateral agility.

As for FA, below are some names of potential interest:

DT: Tony McDaniel (SEA), Arthur Jones (BAL), Jason Hatchert, Linval Joseph, Pat Sims (Oak), etc.

TE:  Scott Chandler (BUF), Bear Pascoe (NYG), Dennis Pitta (BAL), Brandon Myers (NYG), Dallas Clark (BAL), etc.

SS: TJ Ward (CLE), Bernard Pollard (TEN), Ryan Clark (PIT), etc.

I really, really would love to see TJ Ward in Foxboro... looks like a leader in the secondary and he try and blow you up... unfortunately Gronk was on the wrong end of one of his hits... granted it was low, but he's smack you in the open field.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

How many HIGH round DT's would you really like the Pats to invest in?

Vince Wilfork

Tommy Kelly

Armand Armstead

Cory Grissom

Joe Vellano

Chris Jones 

Siliga

Mind you, I assume they will continue with the trying to win now but not at the cost of the future type of mentality.

What about FA's? Would you want the Pats to go after any of these guys?

Arthur Jones

Randy Starks

Linval Joseph

Paul Soliai

Is there any other DT's people are really high on other than...

Hageman

Tuitt

Jones

Ellis

Which guys out of those four listed would you be willing to bet your house on that they are significantly better than all the ones listed above?

Or better yet, how would you rank all the names listed in this post, top to bottom, regardless of age and just inn ability for the 2014-2015 season as a Patriot?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Vince Wilfork

Tommy Kelly

Armand Armstead

Cory Grissom

Joe Vellano

Chris Jones 

Siliga

Mind you, I assume they will continue with the trying to win now but not at the cost of the future type of mentality.

Arthur Jones

Randy Starks

Linval Joseph

Paul Soliai

Hageman

Tuitt

Jones

Ellis

Which guys out of those four listed would you be willing to bet your house on that they are significantly better than all the ones listed above?

Or better yet, how would you rank all the names listed in this post, top to bottom, regardless of age and just inn ability for the 2014-2015 season as a Patriot?

[/QUOTE]

I want at least (1) high round DT and I think DaQuan Jones gives them the most likely combo of availibility and ability to contribute early.  

Assuming both return, VW turns 33 next season and TK turns 34 next season, so there's a need to get some high end talent in their to give them quality snaps, help keep the other two fresher, longer.  Siliga flashed some ability and Jones could have some value on obivious passing downs, but the talent and depth is a little light, IMO.  I'll need to see Armstead get/stay healthy before I have any confidence that he can contribute.

If they can come out of the draft with (2) of the kids you listed, I think they're doing very well, preferably some combo of Tuitt or Hageman or Jones on Day 1/2 and Ellis on Day 3. I'd rank them Tuitt, Hageman, Jones then Ellis.  I'm also interested in Kelcy Quarles and Ego Ferguson on Day 2.  

A coupe more names to keep eye on are Brent Urban... he's a big 6-6 298 DL from Virginia with the versatility to play across multiple fronts and is very good vs. the run... makes a lot of plays behind the LOS... and Bruce Gaston (6-2 316) from Purdue... and they've cranked out some solid DL talent over recent years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Everyone keeps talking about a new Strong Safety. No argument BB is still looking for that next Rodney as evidenced by hoping Wilson had something left to fill the role.

Unless BB drafts one in the 1st round that falls in his lap he likes, how many of you truley believe a rookie safety is going to come in and start in BB's defense that was drafted in a later round? Maybe by year end?

McCourtey

Gregory

Harmon

Wilson

Ebner

What about FA's? Would you want the Pats to go after any of these guys? Neither of these guys has the height everyone is always clamoring for but both good players. Both 5'10 I believe.

TJ Ward

Donte Whitner

Other than...

Calvin Pryor

Antone Exum

What other non 1st round Safties are people hoping for?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Vince Wilfork

Tommy Kelly

Armand Armstead

Cory Grissom

Joe Vellano

Chris Jones 

Siliga

Arthur Jones

Randy Starks

Linval Joseph

Paul Soliai

Hageman

Tuitt

Jones

Ellis

[/QUOTE]

I want at least (1) high round DT and I think DaQuan Jones gives them the most likely combo of availibility and ability to contribute early.  

Assuming both return, VW turns 33 next season and TK turns 34 next season, so there's a need to get some high end talent in their to give them quality snaps, help keep the other two fresher, longer.  Siliga flashed some ability and Jones could have some value on obivious passing downs, but the talent and depth is a little light, IMO.  I'll need to see Armstead get/stay healthy before I have any confidence that he can contribute.

If they can come out of the draft with (2) of the kids you listed, I think they're doing very well, preferably some combo of Tuitt or Hageman or Jones on Day 1/2 and Ellis on Day 3. I'd rank them Tuitt, Hageman, Jones then Ellis.  I'm also interested in Kelcy Quarles and Ego Ferguson on Day 2.  

A coupe more names to keep eye on are Brent Urban... he's a big 6-6 298 DL from Virginia with the versatility to play across multiple fronts and is very good vs. the run... makes a lot of plays behind the LOS... and Bruce Gaston (6-2 316) from Purdue... and they've cranked out some solid DL talent over recent years.

[/QUOTE]

Hey MB thanks. I would rank those four the same as you but I was wondering how people would rank ALL the names top to bottom. Guys on the Pats, the FA's I listed, and the draftables.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Everyone keeps talking about a new Strong Safety. No argument BB is still looking for that next Rodney as evidenced by hoping Wilson had something left to fill the role.

Unless BB drafts one in the 1st round that falls in his lap he likes, how many of you truley believe a rookie safety is going to come in and start in BB's defense that was drafted in a later round? Maybe by year end?

McCourtey

Gregory

Harmon

Wilson

Ebner

What about FA's? Would you want the Pats to go after any of these guys? Neither of these guys has the height everyone is always clamoring for but both good players. Both 5'10 I believe.

TJ Ward

Donte Whitner

Other than...

Calvin Pryor

Antone Exum

What other non 1st round Safties are people hoping for?

I had mentioned above, but I really like TJ Ward... not tall, but very physical.

Pryor is my guy in Rd 1... he's the Seahawk style DB that could come in and make an impact on the secondary... I also like Deone Bucannon as a Day 2 option... he's another good sized kid (6-1 215), with range and athleticism and he'll try and cave you in too.

Exum could be a steal late on Day 2 or at some point on Day 3... really like his size, physicality and versatility.  Craig Loston from LSU is another good sized banger that should be available in the middle rounds.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We'll certainly have a better idea of the all important triangle #'s (40, SS & 3C, etc.) with the combine/pro-days on the horizon.  They're not the tell all, but BB does value them as they reflect a players speed, COD and lateral agility.

As for FA, below are some names of potential interest:

DT: Tony McDaniel (SEA), Arthur Jones (BAL), Jason Hatchert, Linval Joseph, Pat Sims (Oak), etc.

TE:  Scott Chandler (BUF), Bear Pascoe (NYG), Dennis Pitta (BAL), Brandon Myers (NYG), Dallas Clark (BAL), etc.

SS: TJ Ward (CLE), Bernard Pollard (TEN), Ryan Clark (PIT), etc.

I really, really would love to see TJ Ward in Foxboro... looks like a leader in the secondary and he try and blow you up... unfortunately Gronk was on the wrong end of one of his hits... granted it was low, but he's smack you in the open field.

[/QUOTE]

If I had to get one FA at each spot for the Pats putting $ realistic

SS: Pollard or Whitner (TJ Ward #1 if somehow the money works)

DT: Linval Joseph

TE: Pitta or Chandler

CB: Talib

DE: Michael Bennett...?

WR: Edelman, Sanders

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Morning gents,

Finally the offseason, been following along and was thinking about what mike Reiss said about the DL.  Everytime you start a sentence with IF, I tend to chuckle a bit talking about football.  So he said IF VW and TK return healthy and IF Armstead is what was adverticed the DL is a point of strength.  Problem I have with that statement is, 33 and 34 also an achilies! for a 330lb++ man that's not easy to overcome.

So as much as the IF is a good one can the DL rely on IF and hope of the 2nd year jump on the rooks?  I tend to believe BB will roll with the IF and bring in a developmental type mid round.  So early what's the biggest need for the team, IMHO OL!.  Connolly back to OC and a OG is needed unless they commit to move Cannon which seems its not an option.  So based on that and need at TE, I think those two are 1 and 2 picks.

Also, what's the market value for Mallett?  If he's to be traded this is the year, can they get a 2nd for him?  

So here's what I'm thinking I be happy with:

(not round, just pick don't think they'll end up picking in the 1st round)

1st (2nd rnd range) Gabe Jackson OG 6'4" 339lbs 

2nd (2nd rnd range) Troy Niklas TE 6'6" 270 lbs Gronk's twin brother with less speed, soft hands and is one of the better blocking TEs in the draft.

3rd (3rd rnd range) Daniel McCullers DT 6'7" 348 lbs can play in multiple fronts, picture him blocking some passes and stuffing the middle.  Could benefit learning for TK for a year.

4th (3rd/4th rnd range) Jaylen Watkins CB 6'0" 194 lbs he might not last this late but if he does he should be taken

5th (4th rnd range) Ed Stinson DE/DT 6'3" 292 lbs Alabama kid who can play multiple spots and schemes creates a pass rush from inside and sets the edge well when playing DE.

Remainder picks:

Brandon Coleman WR 6'5" 220 lbs can be moved around, serve sort off AH type role when moved inside and out.  

Tom Savage QB 6'2" 220 lbs 

My Georgia pick

DeRon Furr SS 6'2" 215 lbs he's a man among boys, I would love to see what he turns into 2 years from now under BB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0_VlZmCSOk

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Morning gents,

Finally the offseason, been following along and was thinking about what mike Reiss said about the DL.  Everytime you start a sentence with IF, I tend to chuckle a bit talking about football.  So he said IF VW and TK return healthy and IF Armstead is what was adverticed the DL is a point of strength.  Problem I have with that statement is, 33 and 34 also an achilies! for a 330lb++ man that's not easy to overcome.

So as much as the IF is a good one can the DL rely on IF and hope of the 2nd year jump on the rooks?  I tend to believe BB will roll with the IF and bring in a developmental type mid round.  So early what's the biggest need for the team, IMHO OL!.  Connolly back to OC and a OG is needed unless they commit to move Cannon which seems its not an option.  So based on that and need at TE, I think those two are 1 and 2 picks.

Also, what's the market value for Mallett?  If he's to be traded this is the year, can they get a 2nd for him?  

2nd (2nd rnd range) Troy Niklas TE 6'6" 270 lbs Gronk's twin brother with less speed, soft hands and is one of the better blocking TEs in the draft.

3rd (3rd rnd range) Daniel McCullers DT 6'7" 348 lbs can play in multiple fronts, picture him blocking some passes and stuffing the middle.  Could benefit learning for TK for a year.

4th (3rd/4th rnd range) Jaylen Watkins CB 6'0" 194 lbs he might not last this late but if he does he should be taken

5th (4th rnd range) Ed Stinson DE/DT 6'3" 292 lbs Alabama kid who can play multiple spots and schemes creates a pass rush from inside and sets the edge well when playing DE.

Remainder picks:

Brandon Coleman WR 6'5" 220 lbs can be moved around, serve sort off AH type role when moved inside and out.  

My Georgia pick

DeRon Furr SS 6'2" 215 lbs he's a man among boys, I would love to see what he turns into 2 years from now under BB

[/QUOTE]

I miss the days of you working at home and giving us play by play from the Senior Bowl practices, haha.

I think it would be a mistake to not target a DT high in the hopes that everything works out perfectly.  Armstead has been injured most of his football life, so I'm not counting on him for anything and I don't want Vellano and Jones seeing a lot of early down snaps.  In the words of VW... "point blank", they need to add talent to the defensive front, regardless.

I also agree that interior OL is a position of need and an OG or C... or OL that can play multiple positions (ideal) is a need.  If we're talking early/mid Rd 2, I really like UCLA's Xavier Su'a-Filo... very good combo of feet and power, and has experience at LT as well.

Niklas to me is a no brainer at any point in Rd 2 and I'm also a fan of Ed Stinson.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

Morning gents,

[/QUOTE]

Amen

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

...So here's what I'm thinking I be happy with:

Remainder picks:

My Georgia pick

[/QUOTE]

I really really like Gabe Jackson. One of my 3 favorite OGs. Beyond big, he is very nasty (Cannon's a nice teddy bear compared to him), but in control. Back when I spotted him, he was projected to be a third rounder. Is he really going up that high? Well, I have not put him on my mock, because he also looks like someone who will turn in a combine performance that will put him out of reach for the Pats.

McCullers? I would ask you if you hvae watched his games this year, or are you just putting him there based on size and what you hear other people say. McCullers is not a third rounder, regardless of size. He is not a fighter.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Morning gents,

Remainder picks:

My Georgia pick

[/QUOTE]

I miss the days of you working at home and giving us play by play from the Senior Bowl practices, haha.

I think it would be a mistake to not target a DT high in the hopes that everything works out perfectly.  Armstead has been injured most of his football life, so I'm not counting on him for anything and I don't want Vellano and Jones seeing a lot of early down snaps.  In the words of VW... "point blank", they need to add talent to the defensive front, regardless.

I also agree that interior OL is a position of need and an OG or C... or OL that can play multiple positions (ideal) is a need.  If we're talking early/mid Rd 2, I really like UCLA's Xavier Su'a-Filo... very good combo of feet and power, and has experience at LT as well.

Niklas to me is a no brainer at any point in Rd 2 and I'm also a fan of Ed Stinson.

[/QUOTE]

Wish I was able to give play by play lol maybe the combine but I'll be traveling most of it.  come back on the 21st so maybe I can catch skill positions.

The RBs is also a position, if we track BBs last few drafts the year before contracts are up he picks that position.  Ridley and Vereen coming into last year, although they'll be restricted but you never know who offers a contract the pats won't match.

It all starts with what happens with Talib IMO, I know building from outside in!?  but BB was able to do so many things when Talib was 100%

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]

...So here's what I'm thinking I be happy with:

Remainder picks:

My Georgia pick

I really really like Gabe Jackson. One of my 3 favorite OGs. Beyond big, he is very nasty (Cannon's a nice teddy bear compared to him), but in control. Back when I spotted him, he was projected to be a third rounder. Is he really going up that high? Well, I have not put him on my mock, because he also looks like someone who will turn in a combine performance that will put him out of reach for the Pats.

McCullers? I would ask you if you hvae watched his games this year, or are you just putting him there based on size and what you hear other people say. McCullers is not a third rounder, regardless of size. He is not a fighter.

[/QUOTE]

Gabe I think his nastiness and just ability will push him up, not sure if late 1st/early 2nd but that big ugly will be a probowler sooner than later.  I think Pats trade out of 1st so early/mid second if Gabe still on the board I run with the card to turn it in.

BTW imagine a line with Solder, Mankins, Connolly, Jackson, Vollmer  with Cannon as the swing OT/OG that's pretty good line.

On McCullers, I think the VW affect makes him worth the pick.  No way does he come in and not get hard knocks school of play from both VW and TK that was my thinking.  So a bit of projection but if he came with the same rep and Gabe he would be talked as a higher pick, think VW can get that out of him.

Sections
Shortcuts