***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

2014 Mock Draft

Pick

Team

Player

Houston Texans

Johnny Manziel

St. Louis Rams

Greg Robinson

Jacksonville Jaguars

Teddy Bridgewater

Cleveland Browns

Blake Bortles

Oakland Raiders

Jadeveon Clowney

Atlanta Falcons

Anthony Barr

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Derek Carr

Minnesota Vikings

Sammy Watkins

Buffalo Bills

Eric Ebron

Detroit Lions

Darqueze Dennard

Tennessee Titans

Khalil Mack

New York Giants

Jake Matthews

St. Louis Rams

Marquise Lee

Chicago Bears

Timmy Jernigan

Pittsburgh Steelers

C.J. Mosley

Baltimore Ravens

Mike Evans

Dallas Cowboys

Calvin Pryor

New York Jets

Jace Amaro

Miami Dolphins

Zach Martin

Arizona Cardinals

Justin Gilbert

Green Bay Packers

Louis Nix III

Philadelphia Eagles

HaHa Clinton-Dix

Kansas City Chiefs

Kelvin Benjamin

Cincinnati Bengals

Kony Ealy

San Diego Chargers

Taylor Lewan

Cleveland Browns

Cryus Kouandijo

New Orleans Saints

Dee Ford

Carolina Panthers

Brandin Cooks

New England Patriots

Ra’Shede Hageman

San Francisco 49ers

Aaron Donald

Denver Broncos

Jason Verrett

Seattle Seahawks

Allen Robinson

This is my first mock. Now when I do mine I try to not to do trades just to keep it simple and this is subject to change after knowing where certain FAs go obviously. so just a first run here

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kezzamuzza. Show kezzamuzza's posts

MB

Been disappointed over the years on Pats lack of technique and smash mouth tackling when in space. We miss too many tackles and opposition aren't afraid of us. Can't believe Gregory, Arrington etc are still in top team. Don't know what's wrong with our policy but long time since we've seen a Harrison hit or such. We need to intimidate teams in defence. Tell me who does that in the Pats. Normally other teams do it to us.

That's the sort of player we should be after. Protect Brady and give us some guys to put pressure on QB , pass rush and intimidate in secondary. Is that too hard?

Jones and Nink play too many snaps.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to natesubs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

pre superbowl mock draft, let me know what you guys think.  I think this draft fixes many of the holes we have on this team and with the IR players returning we would be in good shapefor next season.  

1st round - (trade 1st and 6th for 2, 3, 5th round picks) 

[/QUOTE]

I'd take that trade but use the picks differently.

RND 2 (from Trade) - DT D Jones (big DT with active legs to rush passer)

RND 2 (assigned) - TE T Niklas (best blocking TE to complement ground game + catch ability)

RND 3 (from trade) - C B Stork (an upgrade to Wendell is needed)

RND 3 (assigned) - CB K Fuller (I think was the best CB before he got sports hernia)

RND 4 (assigned) - DT J Ellis (another big DT with active legs)

RND 5 (from trade) - DE W Clarke (Better complement to CJ and Nink, than Carter)

RND 6/7 (assigned) - WR B Wimberly (6'3", 220 who moves like a slot receiver = RZ weapon)

Pats could also trade out of the first for a 2015 first + 2014 third. If so, I am leaning towards keeping the Niklas pick.

[/QUOTE]

Would really, really like this outcome.

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, MB, my track record with guessing BB's preferences in draft picks has been really really bad.

What do you think can be learned from last night's game? Or what aspects of Seattle's team construction could NEP easily adopt for next year?

[/QUOTE]

The first thing that popped into my head is, wow... we're still lacking a try tone setter in the secondary.  There isn't a ball carrier in the NFL that's scared of DMC (a good player) or any other S on the roster... and they haven't really had a smart/physical S since Rodney.

The 2nd thing was their completed control of the LOS... getting VW/TK back is gonna help, but they need to add talent to that position, regardless.   Jones and Vellano are nice to have depth/sub-package players, but they can't afford to let teams gouge them on the ground... resulting in solid gains on early downs and short/med yardage needed on third down.  You combine that with their lax/zone D and it's a bad recipe for getting off the field.

The 3rd element was the WR corp... they don't really have a "big" WR, with Kearse (6-1 209) being the largest... so for the amount that fans complain about wanting a big WR, I prefer that they just get system fits, players that can get open and create after the catch, much like SEA's WR's did.  

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but are we really going to draft another safety this year? Isn't it time we paid for a guy like Ward?

corner might be a bigger priority if Talib walks. Either way, I think we need a veteran at both positions, and my preference would be to get younger, more athletic on the line.

Tuitt has my vote as the DT I want in the draft, however, I am torn on he or Amaro in terms of who I would go to first? As both should be gone by near top of round 2. And, I think both would add a lot to this team. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

How about this mock from Walter Football?

1. Amaro

2. Richburg

3. D. Jones

4. Benwikere

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

From Draftek

Will Sutton is a two-time Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year and has no business falling this far in the draft. Again in Round 2, the Pats get excellent value, with the ASU Senior coming in as a + 8 compared to DraftTek's Big Board). Sutton was a Consensus All-American in 2012 after putting up an astounding 13 sacks and 23.5 tackles for loss, primarily from the DT spot. His numbers dropped this past season after some weight gain, an increase in double teams, and a shift in responsibilities, but Sutton's disruptive nature is still there. New England runs enough alignments up front for them to find a way to utilize Sutton's strengths, and they might just be landing the next Geno Atkins.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

sorry meant to note this is a round 2 pick--they have NE taking Ealy in rd 1

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to wmasschilly's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'd love it but wouldn't count on it. Ealy is ranked the #2 DE on the board. Hard to believe he'd be around at #30

As for Sutton, he needs to lose weight. Gaining weight was the worst thing that happened to him. I'd be PO'd at the coaches for telling him to add weight. If he can get back down to 295 range he'd get back a lot of what he lost. The issue is he's 6'0.5". He won't be tipping balls at the line and we know BB likes his DT's to get their arms up. Given 25lbs crashed him and now he's struggling to lose it before the combine makes you wonder how hard it would be to keep off for him. If you are losing a fair chunk of his rush because of 25lbs that could be an issue moving forward (you know BB likes his DT's large and in charge. I expect if it came down to it BB would take D Jones over Sutton. Not jut because BB ha a fetish for Jones's but because Jones has the size BB likes in a DT without the major side effects to his game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'd love it but wouldn't count on it. Ealy is ranked the #2 DE on the board. Hard to believe he'd be around at #30

As for Sutton, he needs to lose weight. Gaining weight was the worst thing that happened to him. I'd be PO'd at the coaches for telling him to add weight. If he can get back down to 295 range he'd get back a lot of what he lost. The issue is he's 6'0.5". He won't be tipping balls at the line and we know BB likes his DT's to get their arms up. Given 25lbs crashed him and now he's struggling to lose it before the combine makes you wonder how hard it would be to keep off for him. If you are losing a fair chunk of his rush because of 25lbs that could be an issue moving forward (you know BB likes his DT's large and in charge. I expect if it came down to it BB would take D Jones over Sutton. Not jut because BB ha a fetish for Jones's but because Jones has the size BB likes in a DT without the major side effects to his game.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks PE, excellent analysis as usual--and I agree re: Ealy I haven't seen him lower than the upper teens in any other mock 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'd still keep an eye on McCullers too. He had a weak season in comparison to his previous one but I think he won some coaches over at the senior bowl. When he's on his game he can't be moved back and even harder to keep from pushing forward. He's to big and strong to single man. If BB wants a big man to eventually replace Wilfork they don't grow them bigger than McCullers and that size might be appealling to BB. Esp, after the interior run D was an embarrashment. I expect him to get at least 1 large man in the draft and McCullers or D. Jones might be the guy

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

I'd still keep an eye on McCullers too. He had a weak season in comparison to his previous one but I think he won some coaches over at the senior bowl. When he's on his game he can't be moved back and even harder to keep from pushing forward. He's to big and strong to single man. If BB wants a big man to eventually replace Wilfork they don't grow them bigger than McCullers and that size might be appealling to BB. Esp, after the interior run D was an embarrashment. I expect him to get at least 1 large man in the draft and McCullers or D. Jones might be the guy

[/QUOTE]

I question the mental toughness/ desire/ work ethic of players who are supposed to be so good (in this case when he's on his game, cannot be moved back, etc.) yeat won't show it consistently during the season. Where was that during the season? Was he slacking on the field? That is the last thing I would want on the Pats. 

It's the same reason, I have issues with Hageman and ASJ.

I would take Ellis any day over McCullers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I question the mental toughness/ desire/ work ethic of players who are supposed to be so good (in this case when he's on his game, cannot be moved back, etc.) yeat won't show it consistently during the season. Where was that during the season? Was he slacking on the field? That is the last thing I would want on the Pats. 

It's the same reason, I have issues with Hageman and ASJ.

I would take Ellis any day over McCullers.

[/QUOTE]

I too prefer Ellis.  Would love to see them target D. Jones and Ellis in this class.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Since I truly believe BB is going to trade out of day 1, so start looking for guys you like in round two.

[/QUOTE]

It's always a possibility, but it all depends on who's available.  I could see this as a year where he moves up a few spots to secure a player he covets.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to natesubs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

pre superbowl mock draft, let me know what you guys think.  I think this draft fixes many of the holes we have on this team and with the IR players returning we would be in good shapefor next season.  

1st round - (trade 1st and 6th for 2, 3, 5th round picks) 

[/QUOTE]

I'd take that trade but use the picks differently.

RND 2 (from Trade) - DT D Jones (big DT with active legs to rush passer)

RND 2 (assigned) - TE T Niklas (best blocking TE to complement ground game + catch ability)

RND 3 (from trade) - C B Stork (an upgrade to Wendell is needed)

RND 3 (assigned) - CB K Fuller (I think was the best CB before he got sports hernia)

RND 4 (assigned) - DT J Ellis (another big DT with active legs)

RND 5 (from trade) - DE W Clarke (Better complement to CJ and Nink, than Carter)

RND 6/7 (assigned) - WR B Wimberly (6'3", 220 who moves like a slot receiver = RZ weapon)

Pats could also trade out of the first for a 2015 first + 2014 third. If so, I am leaning towards keeping the Niklas pick.

[/QUOTE]

Would really, really like this outcome.

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, MB, my track record with guessing BB's preferences in draft picks has been really really bad.

What do you think can be learned from last night's game? Or what aspects of Seattle's team construction could NEP easily adopt for next year?

[/QUOTE]

The first thing that popped into my head is, wow... we're still lacking a try tone setter in the secondary.  There isn't a ball carrier in the NFL that's scared of DMC (a good player) or any other S on the roster... and they haven't really had a smart/physical S since Rodney.

The 2nd thing was their completed control of the LOS... getting VW/TK back is gonna help, but they need to add talent to that position, regardless.   Jones and Vellano are nice to have depth/sub-package players, but they can't afford to let teams gouge them on the ground... resulting in solid gains on early downs and short/med yardage needed on third down.  You combine that with their lax/zone D and it's a bad recipe for getting off the field.

The 3rd element was the WR corp... they don't really have a "big" WR, with Kearse (6-1 209) being the largest... so for the amount that fans complain about wanting a big WR, I prefer that they just get system fits, players that can get open and create after the catch, much like SEA's WR's did.  

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but are we really going to draft another safety this year? Isn't it time we paid for a guy like Ward?

corner might be a bigger priority if Talib walks. Either way, I think we need a veteran at both positions, and my preference would be to get younger, more athletic on the line.

Tuitt has my vote as the DT I want in the draft, however, I am torn on he or Amaro in terms of who I would go to first? As both should be gone by near top of round 2. And, I think both would add a lot to this team. 

[/QUOTE]

You won't get any complaints from me if they target TJ Ward... he's the top defensive FA on my list at this point... think he'd really help solidfy the back end of the secondary, giving them a young, physical S that is near the top of the league as a run defender and is solid in coveraged.

I too want Tuitt if he's there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to kezzamuzza's comment:
    [QUOTE]

MB

Been disappointed over the years on Pats lack of technique and smash mouth tackling when in space. We miss too many tackles and opposition aren't afraid of us. Can't believe Gregory, Arrington etc are still in top team. Don't know what's wrong with our policy but long time since we've seen a Harrison hit or such. We need to intimidate teams in defence. Tell me who does that in the Pats. Normally other teams do it to us.

That's the sort of player we should be after. Protect Brady and give us some guys to put pressure on QB , pass rush and intimidate in secondary. Is that too hard?

[/QUOTE]

I'll be curious to see what kind of leap Buchanan makes this year, to give Chandler and Nink a few more breaks during the game... overall, I'd like to see a little more depth at the position... but Buchanan's development is key, IMO.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

I'm optimistic that buchanan can at least improve and earn more snaps, although I'm not sure how much of a leap he'll make (next year anyway) but it would be nice if it were similar to what Collins showed at the end of the season (speaking of Collins it is crucial for this D that he continue on the trajectory he showed at the end of the season)

on the disappoinment side, Does bequette make it out of camp?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm optimistic that buchanan can at least improve and earn more snaps, although I'm not sure how much of a leap he'll make (next year anyway) but it would be nice if it were similar to what Collins showed at the end of the season (speaking of Collins it is crucial for this D that he continue on the trajectory he showed at the end of the season)

on the disappoinment side, Does bequette make it out of camp?

[/QUOTE]

Agree. I don't think bequette makes it. Camp casualty.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

MB

[/QUOTE]

I'll be curious to see what kind of leap Buchanan makes this year, to give Chandler and Nink a few more breaks during the game... overall, I'd like to see a little more depth at the position... but Buchanan's development is key, IMO.  

[/QUOTE]

Yes, buchanans development is key because there is no one behind him Escpecially if you assume carter and bequette not to be here next year. Someone has to step into that 3rd position. I would also look to the development of Stevie B, and if fletcher reemerges. Meaning, could we see Collins on passing downs moved into the de spot? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

^ Good points, begs the question where does Collins play?  Does he challenge Nink for DE/OLB?  Could this have a ripple effect in the draft where we go after a LB in the 2nd or 3rd rd or FA?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2014 Mock Draft

Pick

Team

Player

Houston Texans

Johnny Manziel

St. Louis Rams

Greg Robinson

Jacksonville Jaguars

Teddy Bridgewater

Cleveland Browns

Blake Bortles

Oakland Raiders

Jadeveon Clowney

Atlanta Falcons

Anthony Barr

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Derek Carr

Minnesota Vikings

Sammy Watkins

Buffalo Bills

Eric Ebron

Detroit Lions

Darqueze Dennard

Tennessee Titans

Khalil Mack

New York Giants

Jake Matthews

St. Louis Rams

Marquise Lee

Chicago Bears

Timmy Jernigan

Pittsburgh Steelers

C.J. Mosley

Baltimore Ravens

Mike Evans

Dallas Cowboys

Calvin Pryor

New York Jets

Jace Amaro

Miami Dolphins

Zach Martin

Arizona Cardinals

Justin Gilbert

Green Bay Packers

Louis Nix III

Philadelphia Eagles

HaHa Clinton-Dix

Kansas City Chiefs

Kelvin Benjamin

Cincinnati Bengals

Kony Ealy

San Diego Chargers

Taylor Lewan

Cleveland Browns

Cryus Kouandijo

New Orleans Saints

Dee Ford

Carolina Panthers

Brandin Cooks

New England Patriots

Ra’Shede Hageman

San Francisco 49ers

Aaron Donald

Denver Broncos

Jason Verrett

Seattle Seahawks

Allen Robinson

This is my first mock. Now when I do mine I try to not to do trades just to keep it simple and this is subject to change after knowing where certain FAs go obviously. so just a first run here

[/QUOTE]

Every mock is different. As you go along your mock will change int the next week.  Mine does.  I like your mock but I think a team will be all over draft Hageman.  Tuitt might be the guy there.  Ebron is a high pick to Buffalo. Not sure if he goes that soon.  Amaro to the Jets, tough for NE.  Cooks is a good pick, so would Beckham form LSU.  He is starting to move up.

Although, I know people do not like this, but NE will probably drop back, get extra picks and pick some excellent players for their system. (only if the TEs, S, and DTs are gone)  I think 1 of the DTs will be there.

We always here from posters here stating "we need game changers".  Well, is Johnny Manziel going to lead Houston to the SB? The odds are against it. I recommend taking the 53 man approach because the game is played in 3 phases.

This draft has depth to improve any team in all three phases.  What might be the most interesting part is after the draft: the UDFAs.  There will be guys that have talent that will not get drafted but will make teams.  There are some players like Duncan and Rodgers that are "move" TEs that have the measureables and film to play that probably will not be selected till late in day 3 or at all.

No one can predict mock drafts with accuracy, it is what is especially with NE.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

MB

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, buchanans development is key because there is no one behind him Escpecially if you assume carter and bequette not to be here next year. Someone has to step into that 3rd position. I would also look to the development of Stevie B, and if fletcher reemerges. Meaning, could we see Collins on passing downs moved into the de spot? 

[/QUOTE]

I think you'll see him moved all over the place depending on the situation/game plan, yeah.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I still can't get over the amount of WR talent that's available in this class... especially when compared to last year.  Really hope they target some value/upside in the middle/late rounds (Abbrederis, Moncreif, Herron, Coleman, Latimer, Campanaro, TJ Jones, Shaq Evans, Janis, Colter, Huff, Norwood etc.).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

I still can't get over the amount of WR talent that's available in this class... especially when compared to last year.  Really hope they target some value/upside in the middle/late rounds (Abbrederis, Moncreif, Herron, Coleman, Latimer, Campanaro, TJ Jones, Shaq Evans, Janis, Colter, Huff, Norwood etc.).

[/QUOTE]

Frankly, QBs too. The other thing about WRs also, is that they are getting bigger. It's not inconceivable that the average pass yards of the top half of the teams (passing) will rise.

That is why I think early rounds should be dedicated to strengthening the pass D - particularly in the RZ. Bigger CBs and quicker LBs will be needed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

As will big DTs who can explode off the line to quickly collapse the pocket - i.e., DTs with very active legs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

What did everyone think of Michael Sam's announcement? As we are in a fairly open society, his announcing that his sexual preference is homosexual. Has he hurt his draft status? Most folks had him as a 4-5 round draft choice, has he dropped or has it improved?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What did everyone think of Michael Sam's announcement? As we are in a fairly open society, his announcing that his sexual preference is homosexual. Has he hurt his draft status? Most folks had him as a 4-5 round draft choice, has he dropped or has it improved?

[/QUOTE]

it in reality may hurt him a couple picks with teams that dont want the distraction but all in all it shouldnt affect his status much at all

Sections
Shortcuts