***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

what about some cb?

from CBS Sports;

Bradley Roby CB 1 Ohio State rJr 5-11 193 

Jason Verrett CB 2 TCU Sr 5-10 178  

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu CB 3 Oregon Jr 5-10 185 

Louchiez Purifoy CB 4 Florida Jr 6-0 190 

Antone Exum Injured CB 5 Virginia Tech rSr 5-11 220 

Aaron Colvin CB 6 Oklahoma Sr 6-0 182 

Marcus Roberson CB 7 Florida Jr 6-0 195 

Darqueze Dennard CB 8 Michigan State Sr 5-11 197 

Justin Gilbert CB 9 Oklahoma State Sr 6-0 200 

Kyle Fuller CB 10 Virginia Tech Sr 6-0 190

I'll comment on the ones I have seen this season.

Louchiez Purifoy CB 4 Florida Jr 6-0 190 

vs MIA, he showed he can play well in/near the box and defend against the run. Against the pass, I was disppointed. I believe I saw him miss two tackles that resulted in >10 extra yrds (1st down) gained by the opposing team. Maybe he was having an off day. The commentators actually said he is usually a solid tackler. I think his tackling will be something to watch going forward.

Marcus Roberson CB 7 Florida Jr 6-0 195 

vs MIA, I thought Roberson was solid. He showed he can go head to head on a race vs the fastest receivers on the other team.

Jason Verrett CB 2 TCU Sr 5-10 178  

vs. LSU, he was the reason I watched the game. He did not stand out - but this could be a good thing. It could mean he did his job well and LSU just did not make a lot of big plays against him. Caveat: I normally am multi-tasking when I watch these games, so I am very capable of missing some plays.

Instead, on the same game, I noticed another CB - Kevin White. He defended a couple of passes and was consistent in getting good position against the outside receiver. Again, this kid is not in most people's radar. Too early to tell if he's really good, but he showed flashes of brilliance on that game.

Kyle Fuller CB 10 Virginia Tech Sr 6-0 190

vs ALABAMA, his performance is my favorite of all the CBs I watched so far. He can shutdown WRs. Most impressive is his hand discipline. THis guy can defend without risking PIs. You know how WRs get assessed on catch radius? In the 2nd qtr, he showed some great pass D radius. Again too early to tell if he's really that good, but showing good early signs.

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu CB 3 Oregon Jr 5-10 185 

Played solid against Virginia, but did not finish the game, because I thought it was too easy. And I don't even believe ORE QB Mariota played a great game (low completion %). 

I have their TEN game on DVR, but I have yet to watch it.

------

I can't comment on the others below, as I have not seen any of their games.

Antone Exum Injured CB 5 Virginia Tech rSr 5-11 220 

Aaron Colvin CB 6 Oklahoma Sr 6-0 182 

Darqueze Dennard CB 8 Michigan State Sr 5-11 197 

Justin Gilbert CB 9 Oklahoma State Sr 6-0 200 

Bradley Roby CB 1 Ohio State rJr 5-11 193 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

FSU LB Christian Jones has been suspended for a game... weird that these suspensions always seem to occur when the team is playing a doormat...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9695450/florida-state-seminoles-suspend-christian-jones-eddie-goldman

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

NCAA is the biggest paper tiger in the world they mete out penalties when it seldom counts for much = See Newton, T'eo and others. OSU alone looks like they should be riding the ferry on the river Styx.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Nice upper cut!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

[QUOTE]

Nice upper cut!!!

[/QUOTE]

yeah man, if he couldn`t become a football player he could try to become a UFC fighter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

WK3 GAME RECAP:

NOTRE DAME @ PURDUE

To me this was another boring game. 45 mins of my time wasted, I thought.

I watched this game with high hopes of seeing a lot from Tuitt and Nix. I was disappointed. Neither showed the dominance I was hoping to see. Over the last two weeks they have been the same. They looked good last year. This year, they seem to be coasting. Everyone is dinging Clowney for getting gassed. At least you can see Clowney's effort on every play.

Hey MB, am I being too hard on your boys?

The statistical standout on this game was ND WR Devaris Daniels. 8 recs, 162 yds and 2 TDs. His long, which resulted in one of the TDs, was for 82 yds. I'll watch him some more, in the future. I am not sure if he played well because the Purdue DBs were bad (#24 could not match up with him), or he's good.

The kid on the Purdue side that I wanted to like was a CB, #21, Ricardo Allen. The kid is strong. He played well for the first three quarters, but let Daniels get past him for that 82 yarder. He got beaten on another play near the end line, but I thought he defended that ball well. He located teh ball well, moved in good position. The ND receiver just beat him with the hands.

Oh well, maybe he elarns from this game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

what about some cb?

from CBS Sports;

Bradley Roby CB 1 Ohio State rJr 5-11 193 

Jason Verrett CB 2 TCU Sr 5-10 178  

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu CB 3 Oregon Jr 5-10 185 

Louchiez Purifoy CB 4 Florida Jr 6-0 190 

Antone Exum Injured CB 5 Virginia Tech rSr 5-11 220 

Aaron Colvin CB 6 Oklahoma Sr 6-0 182 

Marcus Roberson CB 7 Florida Jr 6-0 195 

Darqueze Dennard CB 8 Michigan State Sr 5-11 197 

Justin Gilbert CB 9 Oklahoma State Sr 6-0 200 

Kyle Fuller CB 10 Virginia Tech Sr 6-0 190

I'll comment on the ones I have seen this season.

Louchiez Purifoy CB 4 Florida Jr 6-0 190 

vs MIA, he showed he can play well in/near the box and defend against the run. Against the pass, I was disppointed. I believe I saw him miss two tackles that resulted in >10 extra yrds (1st down) gained by the opposing team. Maybe he was having an off day. The commentators actually said he is usually a solid tackler. I think his tackling will be something to watch going forward.

Marcus Roberson CB 7 Florida Jr 6-0 195 

vs MIA, I thought Roberson was solid. He showed he can go head to head on a race vs the fastest receivers on the other team.

Jason Verrett CB 2 TCU Sr 5-10 178  

vs. LSU, he was the reason I watched the game. He did not stand out - but this could be a good thing. It could mean he did his job well and LSU just did not make a lot of big plays against him. Caveat: I normally am multi-tasking when I watch these games, so I am very capable of missing some plays.

Instead, on the same game, I noticed another CB - Kevin White. He defended a couple of passes and was consistent in getting good position against the outside receiver. Again, this kid is not in most people's radar. Too early to tell if he's really good, but he showed flashes of brilliance on that game.

Kyle Fuller CB 10 Virginia Tech Sr 6-0 190

vs ALABAMA, his performance is my favorite of all the CBs I watched so far. He can shutdown WRs. Most impressive is his hand discipline. THis guy can defend without risking PIs. You know how WRs get assessed on catch radius? In the 2nd qtr, he showed some great pass D radius. Again too early to tell if he's really that good, but showing good early signs.

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu CB 3 Oregon Jr 5-10 185 

Played solid against Virginia, but did not finish the game, because I thought it was too easy. And I don't even believe ORE QB Mariota played a great game (low completion %). 

I have their TEN game on DVR, but I have yet to watch it.

------

[/QUOTE]

Seattle, great stuff as always.  I keep seeing this kid Roby getting talked up.   Did anyone catch the Cal vs OSU game?  I saw some but I didn't hear Roby's name being called.  Maybe that is good.   I think NE is again in the market for a CB unless they sign Talib.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Seattle, great stuff as always.  I keep seeing this kid Roby getting talked up.   Did anyone catch the Cal vs OSU game?  I saw some but I didn't hear Roby's name being called.  Maybe that is good.   I think NE is again in the market for a CB unless they sign Talib.

[/QUOTE]

I am competing with my son for DVR recording space. I need to be choosy with what I record.

They are playing Florida A&M this week, so I don't think he will be tested.

Funny thing is I thought the same about last week. I thought it was an easy win by OSU. So you can imagine how I felt when I saw the final.

I will be sure to DVR review their Wisconsin game

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I am watching Iowa and Iowa St. There's this kid that I find really interesting -- David Irving. He's 6-7, 272. For some reason he looks like he can be a monster DE, but is currently playing DT. He's getting some push, but given his size, he just is unable to get to the QB on time. If he keeps plating DT, he could fly under the radar 'til the combine. I have a feeling this kid will do well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Was watching ND scrape by Michigan State yesterday, due to a few questionable PI calls and I gotta say, I love the way MSU plays D... very Seahawks-ish.  They're physical, tough, tackle well and will press you all day.  I was particularly impressed with the play of CB Darqueze Dennard (5-11 197)... kid plays fast, physical and is in your face all day... I also kove his instincts and ball skills... looks like a potential Day 2 kid.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I also have Spartan ILB Max Bullough high on my list of potential Spikes replacements if they choose to move i that direction.  Kid is a bigh, tough cerebral backer that'll come up and smash you, gibes it his all on every snap and does his homework off the field, lining upbthe D while understanding the opponents tendancies.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Was watching ND scrape by Michigan State yesterday, due to a few questionable PI calls and I gotta say, I love the way MSU plays D... very Seahawks-ish.  They're physical, tough, tackle well and will press you all day.  I was particularly impressed with the play of CB Darqueze Dennard (5-11 197)... kid plays fast, physical and is in your face all day... I also kove his instincts and ball skills... looks like a potential Day 2 kid.

I agree with you on MSU's D. I was really impressed with their play, as well as Dennard. Would love to have him a Patriot with his cousin already on the roster

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am competing with my son for DVR recording space. I need to be choosy with what I record.

They are playing Florida A&M this week, so I don't think he will be tested.

Funny thing is I thought the same about last week. I thought it was an easy win by OSU. So you can imagine how I felt when I saw the final.

I will be sure to DVR review their Wisconsin game

[/QUOTE]

Haha I feel your pain. I have to compete with my gf. Dumb reality shows just flooding the cable box

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Did anyone see Ohio State's first game (vs Buffalo)?

Perhaps I missed earlier posts about this, but apparently there's this monster DE that gave Ohio St a lot of problems. His name is Khalil Mack. He looks like a combo of Ansah (style of movement) and Hunt (accomplishment stats).

Here are some highlights from that game captured on youtube. I apologize if somebody has posted this already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GILo4Ap9xb0

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

WK3 GAME RECAP:

NOTRE DAME @ PURDUE

To me this was another boring game. 45 mins of my time wasted, I thought.

I watched this game with high hopes of seeing a lot from Tuitt and Nix. I was disappointed. Neither showed the dominance I was hoping to see. Over the last two weeks they have been the same. They looked good last year. This year, they seem to be coasting. Everyone is dinging Clowney for getting gassed. At least you can see Clowney's effort on every play.

Hey MB, am I being too hard on your boys?

The statistical standout on this game was ND WR Devaris Daniels. 8 recs, 162 yds and 2 TDs. His long, which resulted in one of the TDs, was for 82 yds. I'll watch him some more, in the future. I am not sure if he played well because the Purdue DBs were bad (#24 could not match up with him), or he's good.

The kid on the Purdue side that I wanted to like was a CB, #21, Ricardo Allen. The kid is strong. He played well for the first three quarters, but let Daniels get past him for that 82 yarder. He got beaten on another play near the end line, but I thought he defended that ball well. He located teh ball well, moved in good position. The ND receiver just beat him with the hands.

Oh well, maybe he elarns from this game.

I'll be the first to admit that this isn't the same D that the had last year... they've had early troubles at ILB (lost Te'o to the NFL and Spond to injury related retirement), particularly a lack athleticism and speed, haven't tackled well and have issues in the secondary, though I think those are due more to lack of experience.  I think Nix has been consistently good and really does a good job of controlling his area of the field for the most part, but Tuitt has been a bit inconsistent and overally I expected much more from them upfront... we'll see if they can make some adjustments.

Daniels is definitely their big play WR and has really come on this year... I also like TJ Jones... he's more of the short/intermediate/possession type WR, but could be solid in that department at the NFL level.  He's 6-1, almost 200 I believe and has been producing since he walked on campus... very underrated player for them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Has anyone seen Bred? I haven't seen him around the forum in awhile

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

I wasn't on a ton in the off season, but haven't seen him around... people were giving him a hard time after the draft and I hope that didn't drive him away.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

I wasn't on a ton in the off season, but haven't seen him around... people were giving him a hard time after the draft and I hope that didn't drive him away.

[/QUOTE]

Hey MB, I hope it didn't either. The 2013 draft was really difficult to predict and didn't go at all like I expected. It was good having him around, hope he comes back!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Did anyone see Ohio State's first game (vs Buffalo)?

Perhaps I missed earlier posts about this, but apparently there's this monster DE that gave Ohio St a lot of problems. His name is Khalil Mack. He looks like a combo of Ansah (style of movement) and Hunt (accomplishment stats).

Here are some highlights from that game captured on youtube. I apologize if somebody has posted this already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GILo4Ap9xb0

I compare Mack more to a Jamie Collins type player... similar size kid that can be moved all over the field/used in different packages/sets... he's a high effort kid that profiles more as a LB, moves well, good awareness and instincts... has even flashed some ball skills.  His 2013 stats aren't crazy, but a lot of that is probably teams scheming to stop him (as he's far and way the best player on Buffalo) or just not attacking his side of the field (I look forward to watching more 2013 of him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Hey MB, I hope it didn't either. The 2013 draft was really difficult to predict and didn't go at all like I expected. It was good having him around, hope he comes back!

I hear ya... BB is always a wildcard, but I think collectively, we've done a good job at identifying players that BB/NC have had interest in and ultimately drafted/signd as UFA's.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I can't wait for Sunday. But, just looking at this team and seeing the Bronco's last night got me thinking. With our current post 53man cut roster what do we look like: 

1) I don't think Talib will be back. If Talib has a good-great season we aren't getting him for a deal that will make BB happy. That leaves us with Dennard, Arrington, and Ryan. Even if Ryan turns out to be a good drafting it looks like for how many years in a row? we will be drafting another CB in the first 2 days

2) Harmon looks like he might eventually develop into a Sanders type of player. He's very heady but I question whether his athletic ability will hinder his ability to be a starter overall. For now I see his ceiling as a super sub like a Gregory or Sanders. As such I have zero faith either Wilson will give much over the next couple years and will be once again looking at SS as a possible pick in the first 2 days.

3) Even though DE looks fairly strong right now with at least 3 I can see as a core forming longish term and only needing to add good depth DT is still a major concern. 2 UDFA DTs behind two aging vets of which Kelly might be another 1-2 year bandaid (think G. Warren) it's a huge area of concern for me. I thought they should have taken one in a very deep draft this year and didn't so of course in a very weak DT draft this year they will

4) WR looks nice with the rooks but Edelman is a question mark moving forward and Amendola still has to prove he can last a season, not to mention of the 3 rooks it's hard to picture all 3 developing into productive receivers. The odds are against them. Now I do think Sims has potential but so did Nunn. WR is a position I'd like to keep an eye on

5) LG is a spot where I'd be looking mid to late rounds to eventually replace Mankins as he gets older. And of course G is always a position to add swing players for depth in the later rounds

6) TE is an area I'm going to keep an eye on depending on Sudfeld, but I think they love to keep 3-4 TE's on the roster at bare minimum and currently a mid round TE to develop looks like a good option.

7) Depending on what they are looking to do with Mallett another QB is always on the radar but a UDFA to develop over 3-4 years with Brady seems more likely than one in the first 2 days

All in all I'm not sure I'd be looking at RB, T, C (unless they are a swing player), LB, or FS but it is BB after all. My focus is squarely on the D this next year as the 6 year? rebuild continues with the DB's and some depth/developing starters on the DL early in the draft

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

I think they will need any combination of TE, DT, CB, QB in the first four rounds.

TE: I think they need to dip for a blue chip TE. AH gone. Sudfeld a big question mark. Gronk is an injury risk. Any D in their right mind will target that repaired arm - with their hands/ helmet/ whatever. We should not be surprised if he breaks it again.

DT: This season seems to be a proof point for how critical it is that the interior DL is a strength. The position is getting old.

CB: As you mentioned, he may not be here next year. If he is, he will likely not last.

QB: Still not fully sold on Mallett. I'd rather that they pick another one just as a hedge. I believe there will be some decent ones available in the third, or even fourth.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Real Early TE rankings

Rank      Player                  Ps.  Ps. Rank       School            Class      Ht.      Wt.      Proj. Round

23 Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE   1              Washington       Jr         6-6     266         1

26 Colt Lyerla                   TE   2                Oregon              Jr         6-5     250       1-2

34 Eric Ebron                    TE   3                North Carolina   Jr          6-4     245      1-2

80 C.J. Fiedorowicz          TE   4                Iowa                  Sr         6-6      265      2-3

96 Jace Amaro                 TE   5               Texas Tech          Jr          6-5      257      3

123 Xavier Grimble           TE   6               USC                   rJr         6-5      255      3-4

133 Arthur Lynch              TE   7               Georgia r           Sr         6-5      254       4

154 Marcel Jensen            TE   8              Fresno State     rSr         6-5      258      4-5

189 Gabe Holmes Injured          TE    9             Purdue               rSr        6-5      248       5-6

198 Rob Blanchflower Injured    TE   10            Massachusetts  rSr         6-4      254       6

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Real Early TE rankings

Rank      Player                  Ps.  Ps. Rank       School            Class      Ht.      Wt.      Proj. Round

23 Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE   1              Washington       Jr         6-6     266         1

26 Colt Lyerla                   TE   2                Oregon              Jr         6-5     250       1-2

34 Eric Ebron                    TE   3                North Carolina   Jr          6-4     245      1-2

80 C.J. Fiedorowicz          TE   4                Iowa                  Sr         6-6      265      2-3

96 Jace Amaro                 TE   5               Texas Tech          Jr          6-5      257      3

123 Xavier Grimble           TE   6               USC                   rJr         6-5      255      3-4

133 Arthur Lynch              TE   7               Georgia r           Sr         6-5      254       4

154 Marcel Jensen            TE   8              Fresno State     rSr         6-5      258      4-5

189 Gabe Holmes Injured          TE    9             Purdue               rSr        6-5      248       5-6

198 Rob Blanchflower Injured    TE   10            Massachusetts  rSr         6-4      254       6

I'm really interested in Arthur Lynch... love his size and ability inline, but he's also flashed some ability to make plays down the field and is a local boy, having played his HS ball in Dartmouth, MA.  CJ will also be a popular name and Jace is an intriguing flex type kid with good length, speed and movement ability... operates primarily out of the slot, has upside as a blocker in space and while he demonstrates the ability to be very good in that area, the effort is always there.

I guess it all depends on what type of TE BB is looking for (flex/dual purpose).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

They will need a Gronk-type of TE before they need an AH-type. I believe they have one or two receivers who could do most of what AH used to do.