***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

• jeez Ebron is a presence. he didn't even do catch drills but his 40 was impressive. i dont see him getting out of the top 15 or even 10.

• does anyone know why Niklas didn't run? he looked good on catching drills, would've been nice to see him run.

• still do not want Colt Lyerla dont care the 40 time  (which offically wasnt even good)

• ASJ i wanted to see him run/catch but that didnt happen sadly.

• Amaro had a good 40 seemed to lose his focus on the drills. dropped balls. hate that. still has great film

• Greg Robinson as been above Matthews in my book for awhile and today helped his case imo. so damn athletic

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Cannot wait for tmrw to see Qb's throw and the RBs WRs 40's. those are always impressive.

Sammy Watkins, Kelvin Benj., Cooks, Robinson all intrigue me.

Andre Williams, Hyde, Hill, Blue all too

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

So here's a quick report of a player from NFL.com and get your guys opinions if 1) he sounds like a BB type of player and 2) who do you think it is:

Big, soft hands and adjusts very well to the ball -- outstanding hand placement and catching radius. Good muscularity and weight-room strength. Very good coverage recognition -- feels his way through zones and finds open areas. Will drop his shoulder and barrell through contact. Flashes some power running after the catch. Respected, vocal, emotional team leader and it shows. Extremely smart. Outstanding football IQ. Football is extremely important to him. Emergency kicker and long-snapper. Superb production for a tight end.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

So the team that takes a chance on Lyeria is going to get their monies worth! Dude can fly!! 4.59 40 and strong as a bull. No offense meant, but one little cocaine offense isn't going to deter most GM's. They make their livings evaluating talent and you can't teach 4.5's in the 40.

His only drawback is his experience or lack there of, in the college game. If he's coachable then he will get a shot. 3rd round draft choice.

One little? How about enough that he admitted to having an issue, quit on his team, and is known to have other off field issues like drug dealer affliations? This isn't like the Mallett situation which was just about the coke. This kid has as many red flags coming out as Hern did.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[/QUOTE]

One little? How about enough that he admitted to having an issue, quit on his team, and is known to have other off field issues like drug dealer affliations? This is like the Mallett situation which was just about the coke. This kid has as many red flags coming out as Hern did.

[/QUOTE]

and he's not a first round talent like Hern was. so why even risk it. Hern was atleast a 1-2round talent that dropped in our lap at rd 4.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

So here's a quick report of a player from NFL.com and get your guys opinions if 1) he sounds like a BB type of player and 2) who do you think it is:

[/QUOTE]

yes, definitely sounds like a BB kind of guy.

and my guess is ... CJ Fiedorowicz or Niklas

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yes, definitely sounds like a BB kind of guy.

and my guess is ... CJ Fiedorowicz or Niklas

[/QUOTE]

Nope nether

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

One little? How about enough that he admitted to having an issue, quit on his team, and is known to have other off field issues like drug dealer affliations? This is like the Mallett situation which was just about the coke. This kid has as many red flags coming out as Hern did.

[/QUOTE]

and he's not a first round talent like Hern was. so why even risk it. Hern was atleast a 1-2round talent that dropped in our lap at rd 4.

[/QUOTE]

This kid has as much talent as Hern did but quiting the team is what ended it. Between Hern's situation and his red flags I don't see him being draft before late day 3 if at all. Heck we are now finding out Hern was even taken off of some draft boards because of his red flags. I doubt Kraft would toss his neck out there again drafting a similar player (even though I highly doubt this kid would kill someone, doesn't have the violent history Hern reportedly had, then again we didn't know about that until after the fact too)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

Nope nether

[/QUOTE]

hmmm ok, Joe Don Duncan or Crockett Gilmore?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Nope nether

hmmm ok, Joe Don Duncan or Crockett Gilmore?

[/QUOTE]

It's Joe Don Duncan. Full report and I completely agree with it:

2013: First-team AP Little All-American after becoming the only player in school history with a 1,000-yard season. Was a first-team All-Great Northwest Athletics Conference pick. 2012: Missed the season with a knee injury. 2011: Started in 10 games, finishing with 64 receptions for 949 yards and nine touchdowns. 2010: Played in eight games at El Camino Community College. 2009: Played in four games at El Camino Community College. 2008:: Broke femur, forcing him to take a redshirt while at Sacramento State. Misc.: Listens to Elton John before every game.

ANALYSIS STRENGTHS

Big, soft hands and adjusts very well to the ball -- outstanding hand placement and catching radius. Good muscularity and weight-room strength. Very good coverage recognition -- feels his way through zones and finds open areas. Will drop his shoulder and barrell through contact. Flashes some power running after the catch. Respected, vocal, emotional team leader and it shows. Extremely smart. Outstanding football IQ. Football is extremely important to him. Emergency kicker and long-snapper. Superb production for a tight end.

WEAKNESSES

Has short arms. Average foot speed. Benefited heavily from facing inferior competition (able to separate vertically vs. small, slow defensive backs). Unsudden route runner. Not distinguished as an in-line blocker and plays down to the competition. Very inconsistent second-level blocker -- does not sustain or finish. Will be a 25-year-old rookie. Durability is a concern -- had multiple surgeries on his right leg.

BOTTOM LINE

A big fish in a small pond, Duncan stands out against lesser competition and could have made a statement in postseason all-star competition to solidify his draft standing. However, he broke his foot training for the Senior Bowl and only showed to interview. Age and injury history can diminish his value, but he possesses the intelligence, leadership traits and versatility desired at the bottom of a roster. Long-snapping ability could be his ticket.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/joe%20don-duncan?id=2543576

Btw Fiedorowicz top 10 in bench, 20 shuttle, and #1 in 3 cone with ties to BB already. Be nice to double dip and grab Fiedorowicz in the 2nd and trade up to the 5th for Duncan Then you can double dip with DT in the 1st and 3rd while still grabbing an OL in the 4th and Tenn's line in the late rounds

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

It's Joe Don Duncan. Full report and I completely agree with it

Btw Fiedorowicz top 10 in bench, 20 shuttle, and #1 in 3 cone with ties to BB already. Be nice to double dip and grab Fiedorowicz in the 2nd and trade up to the 5th for Duncan Then you can double dip with DT in the 1st and 3rd while still grabbing an OL in the 4th and Tenn's line in the late rounds

[/QUOTE]

Agree. I would love to see maybe a draft like Hageman round1, CJ Fierdo Rd 2 (if Niklas or ASJ drop there though you got to take them I think), maybe go Ferguson or McCullers round3, Bryan Stork or Thomas (clemson) in round 4.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It's Joe Don Duncan. Full report and I completely agree with it

[/QUOTE]

Agree. I would love to see maybe a draft like Hageman round1, CJ Fierdo Rd 2 (if Niklas or ASJ drop there though you got to take them I think), maybe go Ferguson or McCullers round3, Bryan Stork or Thomas (clemson) in round 4.

[/QUOTE]

Ferguson would be great but don't see him making it to the 3rd

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

true, I think he makes it to the 3rd but not as late as our pick. early-mid 3rd is my thought

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

true, I think he makes it to the 3rd but not as late as our pick. early-mid 3rd is my thought

[/QUOTE]

Amaro looked bad I might be starting to change my tune. Fiedorowicz starting to rise up. If BB drafts him in the first round , why do I have this funny feeling he's taking him. The man is built like a house of steel. With Popeye arms. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

So BB likes to double down lately which psoition do you think it will be?

Other BB trends:

Takes at least 1 player with top ten 3 cone number

Takes a DB

Takes 1 player that falls each year

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

• jeez Ebron is a presence. he didn't even do catch drills but his 40 was impressive. i dont see him getting out of the top 15 or even 10.

• does anyone know why Niklas didn't run? he looked good on catching drills, would've been nice to see him run.

• still do not want Colt Lyerla dont care the 40 time  (which offically wasnt even good)

• ASJ i wanted to see him run/catch but that didnt happen sadly.

• Amaro had a good 40 seemed to lose his focus on the drills. dropped balls. hate that. still has great film

• Greg Robinson as been above Matthews in my book for awhile and today helped his case imo. so damn athletic

[/QUOTE]

Per Tony Pauline, ASJ didn't run because of a foot fracture.

Could drop to NE in 2nd rd, I still want Niklas.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Per Tony Pauline, ASJ didn't run because of a foot fracture.

Could drop to NE in 2nd rd, I still want Niklas.

[/QUOTE]

THanks jjd, I knew ASJ had a foot issue but not enough for him not to participate.

If both ASJ and Niklas drop to us in Rd2, i would be ecstatic. I love both of them

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Some early bench press numbers form Josh Norris on Twitter:

- Brandon Coleman: 21 reps @ 225# (with 34" arms)
    - Jordan Matthews: 21 (with 33 1/4" arms)
    - Sammy Watkins: 16
    - Martavis Bryant: 16
    - Brandin Cooks: 16
    - Kelvin Benjamin: 13 (34 7/8" arms)

- Abbrederis: 4

- Beckham: 7

- Latimer: 23

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Hagemen with the first..trade up if you have too. Then draft either Fiedorowicz, ASJ, or Niklas with your second or the one you get for mallet..or your first one. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to mellymel2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Niklas didn't do the 40 because of a slight hamstring pull

Didn't think the TE's as a group was all that good, frankly...Amaro looked drugged for cripes sake and didn't catch anything...the H back from Wisconsin, Pedersen ran and caught well all day...Duncan from Dixie State...strong as a bull but probably a brain like one too...Lyerla is radioactive for a team that just went through AH...Ebron appears to be the class of the "GO" TE's, will go fast....Fiedorowicz is huge and strong, moves ok, not great...Lynch from GA. is a local kid, from Dartmouth MA, and I think his dad used to be the HS coach there...

The speed of the OL was unreal.....but not many looked that fluid in drills....the big 3 of Lewan, Matthews and Robinson were outstanding, all future All-Pro's, as expected...Yankey looked like molasses rolling up-hill in the winter but he's a beast...I hope the film is good on these gtuys because, like I sad, their straight line speed was great, their lateral movement, past the known good ones, very questionable

[/QUOTE]

Trying to get a TE to help Gronk out so he don't have to catch 15 passes a game and get dinged up.. Trying to find aaron Hernandez replacement that can run,catch , block, and know the playbook all in one year of development is starting to be wish full thinking.. If they go for a TE we need someone to run crisp routes and catch. If not everything else is a waste of time. Also the payer needs to have a mean streak it's not required but won't hurt lol.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to mellymel2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Niklas didn't do the 40 because of a slight hamstring pull

Didn't think the TE's as a group was all that good, frankly...Amaro looked drugged for cripes sake and didn't catch anything...the H back from Wisconsin, Pedersen ran and caught well all day...Duncan from Dixie State...strong as a bull but probably a brain like one too...Lyerla is radioactive for a team that just went through AH...Ebron appears to be the class of the "GO" TE's, will go fast....Fiedorowicz is huge and strong, moves ok, not great...Lynch from GA. is a local kid, from Dartmouth MA, and I think his dad used to be the HS coach there...

The speed of the OL was unreal.....but not many looked that fluid in drills....the big 3 of Lewan, Matthews and Robinson were outstanding, all future All-Pro's, as expected...Yankey looked like molasses rolling up-hill in the winter but he's a beast...I hope the film is good on these guys because, like I sad, their straight line speed was great, their lateral movement, past the known good ones, very questionable

[/QUOTE]

nice quick summary of the day mel!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kezzamuzza. Show kezzamuzza's posts

MB

Think Fiedorowicz may be out of our range in 2nd now? Certainly looks like he boosted his stock.

How do you rate him now to your boy Niklas and other TE's remembering what best suits Pats system. Still think game tape is more important.......that's when opposition tackle you not like  in any drills.

Think BB may have a smokey here .....depends how he rates DT's.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

My advice  is to take everything you see at the combine with a huge grain of salt.  Base your evaluations on the film.  I'm glad Amaro/Niklas/ASJ didn't have great days and /or didn't perform in some of the drills.  Maybe that will help them slide a little farther down the board.  Those guys are all really good TEs.  I couldn't care less about their perfomances at the underware olympics.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kezzamuzza. Show kezzamuzza's posts

Good point Wazza. But if BB likes one above all others will he take second choice just because that one falls and say Fiedorowicz rises?

Given history he will pluck someone nobody has heard of. Sooner than later he has to go with talent not value or TB will be retired and too late? 

Not much use paying scouts, bringing in Lombardi and changing coaches etc if he still reaches for players and seems to think he can make them walk on water. His secondary and wide receiver selections in drafts have probably cost the Pats another Super Bowl or two.