***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

Dontae Johnson really had a strong combine and helped himself 6'2" 200, 4.45 40 and a 6.82   3 cone. Listed as a 6-7 rd FS, still a day 3 for me, but he should get some.

I think Exum is defintely a safety and Fuller is a RD 1 CB.

Pryor is 5'11, but he blows people up.  I had him marked down for months.  I think there is an outside chance he will be there at 29. Fuller also

For NE if Pryor is gone I think Bucannon is next to consider, then, Exum, McGill and SJBaptiste, later rds Desir, Johnson and Dowling.  I think these guys after rd 2 can work their way into sub-packages and contribute.

Pryor is a day 1 starter, Bucannon maybe.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Buchannon might be a solid SS, but I was so impressed by Pryor's ball awareness skills I just can't see the Patriots passing on him. I liked what I saw of McGill and the littel guy Verrett, and though McGill might be available in the 2nd round,Verrett won't be available to the Patriots unless they trade way up! SJ Baptiste looks and runs like a linebacker. It's not a wonder he switched to defense. Wow dude has Roberto Duran hands!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Buchannon might be a solid SS, but I was so impressed by Pryor's ball awareness skills I just can't see the Patriots passing on him. I liked what I saw of McGill and the littel guy Verrett, and though McGill might be available in the 2nd round,Verrett won't be available to the Patriots unless they trade way up! SJ Baptiste looks and runs like a linebacker. It's not a wonder he switched to defense. Wow dude has Roberto Duran hands!

[/QUOTE]

Pryor could easily be gone by the mid first round.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

He's been projected anywhere from 21 to 32 so he's in the right range it all depends on what about 8 teams decide barring any surprise picks.(I'm talking about Pryor).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Seen Pryor go as high as #16 and as low as #27. It could all come down to team needs for the teams ahead of the Pats at #29.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dontae Johnson really had a strong combine and helped himself 6'2" 200, 4.45 40 and a 6.82   3 cone. Listed as a 6-7 rd FS, still a day 3 for me, but he should get some.

Pryor is 5'11, but he blows people up.  I had him marked down for months.  I think there is an outside chance he will be there at 29. Fuller also

For NE if Pryor is gone I think Bucannon is next to consider, then, Exum, McGill and SJBaptiste, later rds Desir, Johnson and Dowling.  I think these guys after rd 2 can work their way into sub-packages and contribute.

[/QUOTE]

I really like Exum. Honestly he'd be my pick 3rd round. Pryor looks great but I'd rather use the 1st on a DT or TE as imo those are a higher need than S right now but Exum I think can be a hidden gem.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's been projected anywhere from 21 to 32 so he's in the right range it all depends on what about 8 teams decide barring any surprise picks.(I'm talking about Pryor).

[/QUOTE]

I've seen him projected from 15-22 recently.  Good safetys are hard to find.  This guy will likely go before #20.  It would take a big trade up for us to land him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I really like Exum. Honestly he'd be my pick 3rd round. Pryor looks great but I'd rather use the 1st on a DT or TE as imo those are a higher need than S right now but Exum I think can be a hidden gem.

[/QUOTE]

Agree.  I really like Exum, too.  Should be a target in the 3rd, and could be a steal at that spot.  Injury worries me a little, but he seems to be fully recovered.  Really a good player.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below are 10 seldom discussed names that I'm really interested in:

1.  Utah DE/OLB- Trevor Reilly- Day 2

2.  FSU RB- Devonte Freeman- Day 2/Middle Rounds

3.  Alabama DE/DT- Ed Stinson- Middle Rounds

4.  UVA DT/DE- Brent Urban- Middle Rounds

5.  WVU DE/OLB- Will Clarke- Middle Rounds

6.  UCLA DE/OLB- Cassius Marsh- Day 3 

7.  Alabama S- Vinnie Sunseri- Day 3

8.  LSU RB- Alfred Blue- Day 3

9.  Oklahoma TE/HB/FB- Trey Millard- Day 3

10.  Maryland CB- Dexter McDougle- Day 3

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

None of you guys have a problem with BB drafting a S or CB in the 1st round?

Didnt we draft 2 safeties in each of the last 2 drafts and sign A.Wilson and Gregory? IDK, maybe its just me but im growing tired of always seeing the same needs for the Pats year after year. Once again the Pats are on the list of teams that need CB?!!! Why??  I mean we just drafted Logan, Dennard, Paid Arrington and have the inside track on Talib not to mention McCourty was a CB coming out.

I just feel we have too many needs to keep wasting pic after pic on DBs. Why do you guys feel BB would get it right. When faced with M.Griffin, R.Nelson and Meriweather he picked the worse of the 3.  When he had his choice of L.White, D'angelo Williams or Joseph Addai, he chose Laura Maroney. History has shown BB is gonna make the wrong pic just trying to be different. Im sick of getting wasted S after S in the draft. Go spend some money on a NFL veteran and be done with and Please dont get a washed up converted CB like Gregory to play SS.

Wow...this thread just got me depressed. We are still drafting safeties???   Smh

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

People have mocked drafting players that have been injured , why are they the same ones that want player A in rds 3. 4 5 regardless of injury history???

just curious

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

None of you guys have a problem with BB drafting a S or CB in the 1st round?

Didnt we draft 2 safeties in each of the last 2 drafts and sign A.Wilson and Gregory? IDK, maybe its just me but im growing tired of always seeing the same needs for the Pats year after year. Once again the Pats are on the list of teams that need CB?!!! Why??  I mean we just drafted Logan, Dennard, Paid Arrington and have the inside track on Talib not to mention McCourty was a CB coming out.

I just feel we have too many needs to keep wasting pic after pic on DBs. Why do you guys feel BB would get it right. When faced with M.Griffin, R.Nelson and Meriweather he picked the worse of the 3.  When he had his choice of L.White, D'angelo Williams or Joseph Addai, he chose Laura Maroney. History has shown BB is gonna make the wrong pic just trying to be different. Im sick of getting wasted S after S in the draft. Go spend some money on a NFL veteran and be done with and Please dont get a washed up converted CB like Gregory to play SS.

Wow...this thread just got me depressed. We are still drafting safeties???   Smh

I want BB to draft the best talent on the board, so I would have absolutely zero problem with him drafting Calvin Pryor in Rd 1.  He would provide them with something that they don't currently have on the roster, a big, rangy, physical S that can impact down in the box.  The board is also very much in favor of a DT or TE, etc. in  Rd 1.

Michael Griffin and Reggie Nelson were not availble when NE was on the clock, so he didn't pass on either to select Meriweather.

At the end of the day, we don't know what they'll do in FA, so all we can do is discuss the prospects that we think can have the biggest impact.  Once we do, I'm sure a few names may change (i.e. if they sing a TJ Ward, etc.

If there's a player that you're interested in and want to discuss in Rd's 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, at any position, have at it... we can engaged in that discussion.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

The 49's Drafted Montana, but it was when they Drafted Lott, that team changed its identity. When the Pats won in 01, the Pats had Milloy. Then they had off year, the first move that Off-Season was signing Harrison. People undervalue the Safety Position. A Good Safety is just like having a QB in the backfield.
    Todays NFL, Safety is even more important, in fact more than a CB. CB's have the sideline, Zone, or man to man. We just see big plays and go nuts. Safeties are covering huge amounts of ground, run support, blitzes, calling coverages, supporting LB's. Not to mention these mamoths called Tight Ends. Unassisted Tackles is why its called Safety.
    A physical Saftey changes the mindset in the whole backfield, Very important position.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

MB, your thoughts on Trent Murphy and Justin Ellis? I think these are two VERY underrated players who could bolster our DL. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

MB, your thoughts on Trent Murphy and Justin Ellis? I think these are two VERY underrated players who could bolster our DL. 

[/QUOTE]

I like both... Murphy is a big motored kid with good length that plays with toughness and physicality, he also moves better than given credit for.

I'm also big on Justin Ellis, he's not mentioned much, but shows solid awareness, vs. the run, making plays down the LOS and has a lot of power a the POA... could develop into a solid interior defender.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

One other question, MB...

I'm watching Ryan Shazier's game tape against Northwestern and this guy can really play in space. I don't think he has the bulk to hold up as an every down LB, but boy can he fly sideline-to-sideline. His combine numbers were off the chart, and it's being reported that the Pats held an official meeting/interview with him. 

He measured at 6'2", 232 lbs. If he could drop 5-10 lbs, I think he could be a VERY effective in-the-box safety, much like Rodney and Chancellor. Do you think this is a possibility? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm watching Ryan Shazier's game tape against Northwestern and this guy can really play in space. I don't think he has the bulk to hold up as an every down LB, but boy can he fly sideline-to-sideline. His combine numbers were off the chart, and it's being reported that the Pats held an official meeting/interview with him. 

He measured at 6'2", 232 lbs. If he could drop 5-10 lbs, I think he could be a VERY effective in-the-box safety, much like Rodney and Chancellor. Do you think this is a possibility? 

[/QUOTE]

Believe he was 6-1 237 at the combine, good triangle #'s too... didn't run the 40, but I think he could excel down in the box.

I also really like FSU's Telvin Smith in this capacity as a hybrid defender... he's 6-3 218, ran a 4.52.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Believe he was 6-1 237 at the combine, good triangle #'s too... didn't run the 40, but I think he could excel down in the box.

I also really like FSU's Telvin Smith in this capacity as a hybrid defender... he's 6-3 218, ran a 4.52.

[/QUOTE]

Awesome info! I'll take a closer look at Telvin Smith.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

starting to take some "limited" looks at players finally.

First knee jerk reaction, not seeing the super big deal with Jace Amaro.

Might simply be one of those things where you hear a lot of good things and build up unrealistic expectations of what you will see when you finally look?

Niklas I wish I could see him in more pasing plays.

Also wish Niklas and Jenkins were both fully healthy for the combine. Might like both those guys just a lil bit more than Amaro so far.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Might simply be one of those things where you hear a lot of good things and build up unrealistic expectations of what you will see when you finally look?

Also wish Niklas and Jenkins were both fully healthy for the combine. Might like both those guys just a lil bit more than Amaro so far.

[/QUOTE]

I don't understand the infatuation with Amaro either. The guy's hands are suspect, he seems somewhat lacking in confidence which will be a major detriment to any NFL player. 

I'd put Ebron, ASJ, Niklas, and Fiedorowicz ahead of him, in that order. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Below are 10 seldom discussed names that I'm really interested in:

1.  Utah DE/OLB- Trevor Reilly- Day 2

2.  FSU RB- Devonte Freeman- Day 2/Middle Rounds

3.  Alabama DE/DT- Ed Stinson- Middle Rounds

4.  UVA DT/DE- Brent Urban- Middle Rounds

5.  WVU DE/OLB- Will Clarke- Middle Rounds

6.  UCLA DE/OLB- Cassius Marsh- Day 3 

7.  Alabama S- Vinnie Sunseri- Day 3

8.  LSU RB- Alfred Blue- Day 3

9.  Oklahoma TE/HB/FB- Trey Millard- Day 3

10.  Maryland CB- Dexter McDougle- Day 3

[/QUOTE]

I had Clarke on my first and only mock draft so far (posted on page 50). I think very underrated. IMO 3rd round talent, but graders have him in the 4th. He'd be a steal in the 4th.

I always liked Sunseri. I think he's also very underrated. The absence of discussion on him reflects that.

Freeman, IMO is a very good RB. I just don't think the position is a priority. They have a young RB unit. I also believe they will be able to keep Blount.

Stinson, I am mixed about. There just other kids I like more. I would not complain if he got picked up.

The others, I have not seen videos of. I've said it before: I don't like just going off of what others write. I like seeing film of the kids before I comment on them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Amaro certainly looks a lot better on tape than he did at the combine.

I think Niklas' numbers were hindered a bit by ND's QB play... Tommy Rees was very inaccurate an inconsistent and somehow overthrew an almost 6-7 TE numerous times.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't understand the infatuation with Amaro either. The guy's hands are suspect, he seems somewhat lacking in confidence which will be a major detriment to any NFL player. 

[/QUOTE]

Amaro drops enough passes that TB will lose trust in him, just as he did with Sudfeld. That said, is a big mismatch problem for Ds, and despite the drops can catch A LOT of passes.

I can understand if NYJ and/or BUF pickup Ebron and/or Amaro in the first. They've seen how devastating good-catching TEs can be to Ds. I would understand if they think either one or both these guys can that for them.

As a Pats fan, I would not be worried if either of them picked up Amaro. Seeing Ebron go to either team would make me pause.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Amaro drops enough passes that TB will lose trust in him, just as he did with Sudfeld. That said, is a big mismatch problem for Ds, and despite the drops can catch A LOT of passes.

I can understand if NYJ and/or BUF pickup Ebron and/or Amaro in the first. They've seen how devastating good-catching TEs can be to Ds. I would understand if they think either one or both these guys can that for them.

As a Pats fan, I would not be worried if either of them picked up Amaro. Seeing Ebron go to either team would make me pause.

[/QUOTE]

Amaro would no doubt be an upgrade over the Hooman, and if he came here, I'd be rooting for him to succeed. I just don't see him panning out. For the sake of his career, I hope I'm wrong (especially if he ends up in NE). 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

My udated and expanded, Big 60 Board:

Rd 1 (6):

S- Calvin Pryor

DE/OLB- Kony Ealy

DT- Stephon Tuitt

DT- Aaron Donald

DT- Ra'shede Hageman

WR- Brandin Cooks

Rd 1-2 (6):

CB- Bradley Roby

CB/S- Kyle Fuller