***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to TripleOG's comment:

None of you guys have a problem with BB drafting a S or CB in the 1st round?

Didnt we draft 2 safeties in each of the last 2 drafts and sign A.Wilson and Gregory? IDK, maybe its just me but im growing tired of always seeing the same needs for the Pats year after year. Once again the Pats are on the list of teams that need CB?!!! Why??  I mean we just drafted Logan, Dennard, Paid Arrington and have the inside track on Talib not to mention McCourty was a CB coming out.

I just feel we have too many needs to keep wasting pic after pic on DBs. Why do you guys feel BB would get it right. When faced with M.Griffin, R.Nelson and Meriweather he picked the worse of the 3.  When he had his choice of L.White, D'angelo Williams or Joseph Addai, he chose Laura Maroney. History has shown BB is gonna make the wrong pic just trying to be different. Im sick of getting wasted S after S in the draft. Go spend some money on a NFL veteran and be done with and Please dont get a washed up converted CB like Gregory to play SS.

Wow...this thread just got me depressed. We are still drafting safeties???   Smh

None of the prior drafts have the Patriots used a first round pick on a safety, 2013 our first round was round 2 and we took Collins a LB and Dobson WR, 2012 was the trade up year and they drafted Chandler Jones and Donte Hightower and neither of those two play safety, yes they have taken safeties in round two and three but no first day safeties ever since Tim Fox. They have signed several safeties who are marginal starters and they have survived their lack of production, but the kid I'm talking about isn't your run of the mill SS he's probably the next Rodney Harrison, he hits in the legally targeted zones but he breings pain with his hits, and just my talking about him doesn't mean in any way that BB is even looking at him. There are others who would be just fine as projects but if your looking for a day one starter there are three in this draft : HaHa, Calvin and Deone those three will impact the NFL immediately.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Didnt we draft 2 safeties in each of the last 2 drafts and sign A.Wilson and Gregory? IDK, maybe its just me but im growing tired of always seeing the same needs for the Pats year after year. Once again the Pats are on the list of teams that need CB?!!! Why??  I mean we just drafted Logan, Dennard, Paid Arrington and have the inside track on Talib not to mention McCourty was a CB coming out.

I just feel we have too many needs to keep wasting pic after pic on DBs. Why do you guys feel BB would get it right. When faced with M.Griffin, R.Nelson and Meriweather he picked the worse of the 3.  When he had his choice of L.White, D'angelo Williams or Joseph Addai, he chose Laura Maroney. History has shown BB is gonna make the wrong pic just trying to be different. Im sick of getting wasted S after S in the draft. Go spend some money on a NFL veteran and be done with and Please dont get a washed up converted CB like Gregory to play SS.

Wow...this thread just got me depressed. We are still drafting safeties???   Smh

None of the prior drafts have the Patriots used a first round pick on a safety, 2013 our first round was round 2 and we took Collins a LB and Dobson WR, 2012 was the trade up year and they drafted Chandler Jones and Donte Hightower and neither of those two play safety, yes they have taken safeties in round two and three but no first day safeties ever since Tim Fox. They have signed several safeties who are marginal starters and they have survived their lack of production, but the kid I'm talking about isn't your run of the mill SS he's probably the next Rodney Harrison, he hits in the legally targeted zones but he breings pain with his hits, and just my talking about him doesn't mean in any way that BB is even looking at him. There are others who would be just fine as projects but if your looking for a day one starter there are three in this draft : HaHa, Calvin and Deone those three will impact the NFL immediately.

Ba- Randon Meriweather sais hi! McCourty was drafted in the 1st round and now is playing safety. Im not saying you cant draft one but not in the 1st round where the risk/reward for Safeties is too low for me. I would rather go for a D Lineman who are easier to project and BB is usually good at finding. Its more to do with resources. Why do we keep wasting more pics on top of pics at the same position? 2 drafted safeties and two free agents in 2 years but we are gonna draft one 1st round? I hope not. Im not impressed with Pryors size. 5'11, just over 200.   Havent seen him play so I dont know the whole story but he is only slightly bigger than Harmon. lets aim higher for our 1st round pic, thats all

Im all for getting the next Rodney but lets remember Rodney S*cked his rookie year. He was a ten year vet when he got here. He was a player by year 2 or 3 and I dont think we have that time which is why I would advocate for getting a NFL vet in free agency. I DO want to upgrade but just dont want to deal with learning curve of a rookie at that position. In other defenses, a rookie safey aint bad but here, I thiink they would struggle in 1st season or BB woudnt trust him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

I want BB to draft the best talent on the board, so I would have absolutely zero problem with him drafting Calvin Pryor in Rd 1.  He would provide them with something that they don't currently have on the roster, a big, rangy, physical S that can impact down in the box.  The board is also very much in favor of a DT or TE, etc. in  Rd 1.

Michael Griffin and Reggie Nelson were not availble when NE was on the clock, so he didn't pass on either to select Meriweather.

At the end of the day, we don't know what they'll do in FA, so all we can do is discuss the prospects that we think can have the biggest impact.  Once we do, I'm sure a few names may change (i.e. if they sing a TJ Ward, etc.

If there's a player that you're interested in and want to discuss in Rd's 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, at any position, have at it... we can engaged in that discussion.

My bad, you are right. I got confused with the RB scenario and safety,. Both nelson and Griffen went just a few spots ahead. I DO also want a SS but without watching film on him in college, I cant say much. Just wasnt impressed with his size to be a thumping SS in the league and he looked stiff and akward in the ball drills I saw yesterday so is he strictly a SS cuz I dont see BB getting a one dimensional guy in the 1st although I wouldnt mind if he is what you say he is.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

did you guys see this list, #100-51 of top free agents

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/26/greg-bedard-2014-top-free-agents-100-51/

There are some interesting options at TE and DT, wish the team was in a better cap room scenario.  2 weeks and we'll see what they can pull off.  There some younger FAs this year, Earl Mitchell could be a good option for the Patriots.  Solid player who shouldn't be breaking the bank, he's also only 26 years old.  I know this is all about draft but looks like some good options in FA.

BB has in the past, gone and filled all "needs" via FA going into the draft with "best player" available.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to fishers5's comment:

People have mocked drafting players that have been injured , why are they the same ones that want player A in rds 3. 4 5 regardless of injury history???

just curious

the mid rounds are a good area to take a couple red flag risks. They are low cost and generally you don't expect a ton from them. Every so often you get lucky and one really pays off, but if they don't you haven't wasted a ton. Taking someone injury prone in th early rounds is a major risk because you expect them to become starters, same with signing a injury prone FA as a starter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

IS there ANY chance we get reduction from the league on Hernandez cap hit?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

IS there ANY chance we get reduction from the league on Hernandez cap hit?

if he's charged in the dbl homecide prior to the extension yes, otherwise no

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:

There are some interesting options at TE and DT, wish the team was in a better cap room scenario.  2 weeks and we'll see what they can pull off.  There some younger FAs this year, Earl Mitchell could be a good option for the Patriots.  Solid player who shouldn't be breaking the bank, he's also only 26 years old.  I know this is all about draft but looks like some good options in FA.

BB has in the past, gone and filled all "needs" via FA going into the draft with "best player" available.

Agree with this. I see a lot of very good and good FAs hitting the street. Some of which can help us and do so without breaking the bank. 

my only concern is that he doesn't use his WR approach from years past, bringing in 5 to cut them all. Target 2 solid FAs that will make a difference and stick to the roster. Draft BPA like he has in the past, and even double dip like years past to increase chance of success. 

5000 on the way to 10k

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

I'm having trouble deciding on who I like more. Troy Niklas or CJ Fiedorowicz. You guys have any idea? I feel like Niklas has a higher ceiling than CJ and can grow to be pretty good. An all-around monster. While CJ will always be dependable. Not great but there when you need him. Especially in the red zone, there's where he's going to make a big difference. You guys got any clue?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Agree with this. I see a lot of very good and good FAs hitting the street. Some of which can help us and do so without breaking the bank. 

my only concern is that he doesn't use his WR approach from years past, bringing in 5 to cut them all. Target 2 solid FAs that will make a difference and stick to the roster. Draft BPA like he has in the past, and even double dip like years past to increase chance of success. 

5000 on the way to 10k

If they sign (aside from keeping Talib and Edelman):

Earl Mitchell 6'3" 303lbs DT 26yr old

Garrett Graham 6'3" 245lbs TE 27yr old 

Jon Asamoah 6'4" 305lbs OG 

Antonio Smith 6'4" 289lbs DE/DT

Sign those four plus Talib and Edelman and I be happy going into the draft.  Only issue, cap money but I don't have one lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

5000 on the way to 10k

Sign those four plus Talib and Edelman and I be happy going into the draft.  Only issue, cap money but I don't have one lol

I am sure contracts will be reworked soon, cuts made and we will. Have 20m or so in cap money. Counting the extra 4-5 with Goodell raising the cap for 2014.

is that enough to sign their own, the rookie class and. A few of the names mentioned above? Should be close. 

I think a lot of it hinges on what Talib and Edelman will want. I wouldnt be surprised if they walk from one of them. 

I see you included a couple of the smaller sized DTs on the market. If vw and Kelly can't go or the pats decide they are not worth the money, I could see them making a serious push for either Arthur jones or red Bryant. They will need that size inside. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

5000 on the way to 10k

I am sure contracts will be reworked soon, cuts made and we will. Have 20m or so in cap money. Counting the extra 4-5 with Goodell raising the cap for 2014.

is that enough to sign their own, the rookie class and. A few of the names mentioned above? Should be close. 

I think a lot of it hinges on what Talib and Edelman will want. I wouldnt be surprised if they walk from one of them. 

I see you included a couple of the smaller sized DTs on the market. If vw and Kelly can't go or the pats decide they are not worth the money, I could see them making a serious push for either Arthur jones or red Bryant. They will need that size inside. 

If Bryant was available he would had been pick over Antonio Smith, I also keep think they have armstead.  He's that nickel rusher they need if he can come back from what ever was holding him back.

Back to the draft lol 

If they have this type of FA offseason, who's best player available at end of 1st early 2nd?  Because if they do this and such a deep draft, you know BB is looking to trade down

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to APpats22's comment:

I'm having trouble deciding on who I like more. Troy Niklas or CJ Fiedorowicz. You guys have any idea? I feel like Niklas has a higher ceiling than CJ and can grow to be pretty good. An all-around monster. While CJ will always be dependable. Not great but there when you need him. Especially in the red zone, there's where he's going to make a big difference. You guys got any clue?

Niklas every day of the week for me... he has elite upside as a blocker and is probably the best blocker in this class... I dont' think CJ projects to be elite in any aspect of the game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Niklas every day of the week for me... he has elite upside as a blocker and is probably the best blocker in this class... I dont' think CJ projects to be elite in any aspect of the game.

Yeah, no-brainer for me.  Niklas for me too.  This guy has the tools to be special, maybe a year away from really reaching his full potential, but I think he is going to be a really good one.  The more I think about it, the more I would be OK with BB just grabbing him at 29.  I think he is going to go earlier than projected when it's all said and done.  No way he lasts until 62, IMO.  I still question CJ's ability to create separation as a reciever.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Yeah, no-brainer for me.  Niklas for me too.  This guy has the tools to be special, maybe a year away from really reaching his full potential, but I think he is going to be a really good one.  The more I think about it, the more I would be OK with BB just grabbing him at 29.  I think he is going to go earlier than projected when it's all said and done.  No way he lasts until 62, IMO.  I still question CJ's ability to create separation as a reciever.  

I'm not sure it's a no brainer for me. Niklas certainly has higher upside but if he'll reach that upside and if he'll do it consistently is a different story. CJ though looks like he won't be elite in any one catagory but combined he might be one of the better all around TE's in this draft. I have a feeling he'll be around the league for a long time, maybe never a top 3 TE but I think he'll be top 15 and in his prime years top 7 for his entire career. I think he has that type of solid consistent play to him year in and year out. I'm leaning towards Niklas but if they have to move up to get him in the 2nd I'd be more than happy staying in the back of the 2nd for CJ

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I'm not sure it's a no brainer for me. Niklas certainly has higher upside but if he'll reach that upside and if he'll do it consistently is a different story. CJ though looks like he won't be elite in any one catagory but combined he might be one of the better all around TE's in this draft. I have a feeling he'll be around the league for a long time, maybe never a top 3 TE but I think he'll be top 15 and in his prime years top 7 for his entire career. I think he has that type of solid consistent play to him year in and year out. I'm leaning towards Niklas but if they have to move up to get him in the 2nd I'd be more than happy staying in the back of the 2nd for CJ

I feel like they will both excell as equally good blockers, but I think Niklas' upside as a pass catcher and weapon is much higher than CJ's.  Niklas moves a lot better on film.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Personnally, I don't think Belichick will draft a safety in the first round. I think "he thinks" he can make do with a later round choice combined with free agency and existing personnel. 

I'm leaning toward thinking he will take a DE - Kony Ealy makes a lot of sense. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to mcboyd22's comment:

Personnally, I don't think Belichick will draft a safety in the first round. I think "he thinks" he can make do with a later round choice combined with free agency and existing personnel. 

If Ealy slid to 29, he would have to be considered.  Very good talent.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mcboyd22's comment:

I disagree on the S piece, but also understand that he may value other players higher or that CP may not even be available when they're on the clock or that they could address the position in FA.

As for Ealy, I have him 2nd on my board (posted yesterday) and he looks a lot like Chandler on tape... he'd be quite the bookend... and would join the rotation very early on.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

What's the board consensus on Jordan Matthews vs. Donte Moncrief?  Both are productive kids from the SEC with good size  and ability.  Matthews looks like the safer pick to me, while Moncrief has more upside and big play ability.

If I had to choose between the (2), I would probably lean towards Moncrief at this point, but it's pretty close.

Who you got?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

What (1) player are you most intrigued by in this draft class?

For me, it remains FSU LB Telvin Smith... 6-3 218, athletic rangy, aggressive, physical and competitive... he's the prototype hybrid defender for today's NFL and I'd love to see how BB and the defensive staff would utilize him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

For me, it remains FSU LB Telvin Smith... 6-3 218, athletic rangy, aggressive, physical and competitive... he's the prototype hybrid defender for today's NFL and I'd love to see how BB and the defensive staff would utilize him.

Has to be Hageman for me. The guy has huge boom or bust potential. Could bust completely out or be a back of the 1st version of JJ Watt. Exum and Hoffman also highly intrigue me a lot. Hoffman could be a top 3 WR in the draft when all is said and done and Exum just looks like a solid S up and coming

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

I feel like he can be a Kam Chancellor kind of player. There's no way he stays at LB unless he puts on atleast 20 pounds and that would make him slower. I'd like to try him or Kevin Pierre-Louis as a safety. Hybrid Safety anyways.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

I can't wait until his pro day! He's definitely becoming my favorite the more and more I see him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

What's the board consensus on Jordan Matthews vs. Donte Moncrief?  Both are productive kids from the SEC with good size  and ability.  Matthews looks like the safer pick to me, while Moncrief has more upside and big play ability.

If I had to choose between the (2), I would probably lean towards Moncrief at this point, but it's pretty close.

Who you got?

I also would take Moncrief, few sites knock on him was does he have elite speed for the position at least in shorts he answered that question.  He also from what I've seen looks like a good route runner, sudden on cuts and catches the ball well.  

Think he's a riser, could be a 2nd rounder.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1960854-donte-moncrief-scouting-report-nfl-outlook-for-mississippi-wr

Something on him, just knowing he can run a full route tree and his shorts speed makes him an intriguing pick.  

Sections
Shortcuts