***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What's the board consensus on Jordan Matthews vs. Donte Moncrief?  Both are productive kids from the SEC with good size  and ability.  Matthews looks like the safer pick to me, while Moncrief has more upside and big play ability.

If I had to choose between the (2), I would probably lean towards Moncrief at this point, but it's pretty close.

Who you got?

[/QUOTE]

Matthews, a bit taller, longer arms, larger hands, better production and route running. His cousin is Jerry Rice and he requested film on CBs who would play against him in the Senior Bowl.  That convinced me. Moncrief has better speed, almost the same production, but I think Matthews is a bit better in tight spaces.  This is extremely close.  In the end, if NE took either it is a solid pick-up

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

What (1) player are you most intrigued by in this draft class?

For me, it remains FSU LB Telvin Smith... 6-3 218, athletic rangy, aggressive, physical and competitive... he's the prototype hybrid defender for today's NFL and I'd love to see how BB and the defensive staff would utilize him.

[/QUOTE]

Hageman... for the same boom or bust potential that PE talks about.

It's maddening to try to watch the kid on film. On the three or four MIN games I watched (meaning I watched through at least 3 qtrs, just fastforwarding to each of the D snaps), he was off the field on roughly half of the D snaps, for some reason. And when on the field, he seems to get erased a lot by single blockers.

And then... just when you are ready to completely dismiss him and turn off the DVR, he flashes a sizzle play that you would expect from a kid who looks as good as he does standing still. Then you wonder, what the heck?!!! Why does he not do that more often? He is big enough, strong enough, fast enough, be should be completely capable of doing that a lot more often. Why doesn't he?

Looking at his stats, you could easily say he's an underachiever. He has 13 TFLs, which is less than half Donald's. Yet, considering how many D snaps he sits out, you could argue that he is productive when he is on the field.

So the question is why does his coach pull him off the field a lot? Does his coach not look at him as a 3-down DL? Is it a skill issue? Is it a fitness issue? Is it an effort consistency issue?

Ultimately, you have to ask if it is an issue that BB and staff can fix. If a skill or fitness issue, then the answer is yes, assuming he has a good work ethic. Pats7393 pointed out that he was a TE 'til a few years ago. He could still be learnig the position. If it's an effort issue, then no thanks. I do not want another AD Thomas on the DL.

If the Pats does pick him, and if theya re able to fix him, it could be fun. Even more fun is if he could leverage his TE skills and play the role that Vrabel used to do at the RZ.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

What's the board consensus on Jordan Matthews vs. Donte Moncrief?  Both are productive kids from the SEC with good size  and ability.  Matthews looks like the safer pick to me, while Moncrief has more upside and big play ability.

If I had to choose between the (2), I would probably lean towards Moncrief at this point, but it's pretty close.

Who you got?

[/QUOTE]

When evaluating potential WR pickups, I really focus on their potential for RZ productivity. For that, I have seen Matthews enough, to say he has good ability to help in the zone. Someone pointed out hs ability to operate in tight spaces. He is not quite K Benjamin, but he's flashed very good ability to make difficult and contested catches.

Frankly, I have not seen too enough film on Moncrief. Based, on the few plays that I saw on him, I would not debate against anyone who says he would be the better prospect. If that is really the case, then I would be happy if they picked up either on.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

For me, it remains FSU LB Telvin Smith... 6-3 218, athletic rangy, aggressive, physical and competitive... he's the prototype hybrid defender for today's NFL and I'd love to see how BB and the defensive staff would utilize him.

[/QUOTE]

Telvin Smith and Hageman are great answers, but for me it is Bruce Ellington.  I saw him play several times this past season and came away very impressed by his sheer athleticism and his ability to make tough catches.  I would love to see him in out offense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

[QUOTE]

Telvin Smith and Hageman are great answers, but for me it is Bruce Ellington.  I saw him play several times this past season and came away very impressed by his sheer athleticism and his ability to make tough catches.  I would love to see him in out offense.

[/QUOTE]

I too like Ellington... very good fit for NE's offense, operating out've the slot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

A couple of unknowns with high Power/ Explosion and Movement grades, this is intriguing to me:

(P/Ex) Power/Explosion > 65 excellent > 70 Elite

(M) Movement , SS/CB< 17,  LB < 17.5 Excellent

Some players did not meet the standard or complete the drills

DBs

Brock Vareen, SS  M=16.94  P/Ex=68.9

Kenny Ladler, P/Ex=71

Rashaad Reynolds, M=16.73   PEx=67.8

Phillip Gaines M=16.54

Thomas, Jemea, P/Ex =66 Gilbert, Justin, P/Ex =66 Jean-Baptiste, Stanley, P/Ex =66

DL

Did not calculate movement, yet

Hageman,  P/Ex =76.8

Donald, P/Ex =76.8

Smith, Chris, 75.1

Wynn, Kerry, 74.5

Gayle, James, 73.2

Enemkpali, I.K., 71.9

Jones, Howard, 71.9

Palepoi, Tenny, 70.8

Clowney, Jadeveon, 68.9

Martin, Kareem, 68.4

Smith, Marcus, 68.1

Bromely, Jay, 67.6

Moore, Zach, 66.8

Thornton, Khyri, 66.4

Manumaleuna, Eathyn, 65.5

Carrethers, Ryan,65.4

Jernigan, Timmy,65.1

LBs

Some LBs did not complete all drills or reach the standard

Pierre-Louis, Kevin, P/Ex=77.8    M= 16.99

Murphy, Trent,                            M=17.47

Barr, Anthony                             M=17.23

Shazier, Ryan, 77.1

Fortt, Khairi, 76

Shembo, Prince, 74.7

Mack, Khalil, 73.8      M=17.5

George, Jeremiah, 70.8

Bradford, Carl, 70.7

Bullough, Max, 70.4

Tripp, Jordan, 69.5          M=17.11

Borland, Chris, 67.6

Barrow, Lamin, 67.3

Powell, Ronald, 66.1

Brown, Preston, 65.8

Starr, Tyler, 65.8                       M=17.42

Williamson, Avery, 65.5              M =17.43

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

First attempt at a 1st round mock, I have no idea why but went with best center in the draft:

1. Texans  QB Blake Bortles

2. Rams  OT Jake Matthews

3. Jaguars QB Teddy Bridgewater

4. Browns WR Sammy Watkins

5. Raiders OT Greg Robinson

6. Falcons DE J. Clowney

7. Buccaneers OT Taylor Lewan

8. Vikings  QB Johnny Manziel

9. Bills  LB Khalil Mack

10. Lions  WR Mike Evans

11. Titans S H. Clinton-Dix

12. Giants   LB Anthony Barr

13. Rams WR Kelvin Benjamin

14. Bears  DT Aaron Donald

15. Steelers  CB Darqueze Dennard

16. Ravens  OT Cyrus Kouandjio

17. Cowboys  DT RaShede Hageman

18. Jets WR Marqise Lee

19.Dolphins OT Zack Martin

20. Cardinals CB Marcus Roberson

21. Packers  NT Louis Nix

22. Eagles LB Ryan Shazier

23. Chiefs  LB C.J. Mosley

24. Bengals  FS Calvin Pryor

25. Chargers  TE Eric Ebron

26. Browns QB Derek Carr

27. Saints  DE Dee Ford

28. Panthers  WR Odell Beckham Jr.

29. Patriots C Travis Swanson

30. 49ers WR Jordan Matthews

31. Broncos DT Timmy Jernigan

32. Seahawks OG David Yankey

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:
    [QUOTE]

First attempt at a 1st round mock:

1. Texans needs: QB, OT, S    QB Blake Bortles

2. Rams  needs: OL, WR, S OT Jake Matthews

3. Jaguars needs: QB, DE, OT    QB Teddy Bridgewater

4. Browns needs: QB, RB, OG    WR Sammy Watkins

5. Raiders needs: QB, WR, OT    OT Greg Robinson

6. Falcons needs: DE, OL, TE    DE J. Clowney

7. Buccaneers  Needs: DE, TE, OT    OT Taylor Lewan

8. Vikings needs: QB, DE, OG    QB Johnny Manziel

9. Bills needs: LB, TE, RT    LB Khalil Mack

10. Lions needs: CB, WR, S   WR Mike Evans

11. Titans needs: S, DE, QB    S H. Clinton-Dix

12. Giants Needs: LB, CB, int OL    LB Anthony Barr

13. Rams needs: OL, WR, S   WR Kelvin Benjamin

14. Bears needs: DL, S, Int OL    DT Aaron Donald

15. Steelers Needs: OT, S, CB    CB Darqueze Dennard

16. Ravens  needs: OT, C, WR    OT Cyrus Kouandjio

17. Cowboys Needs: DE, CB, S   DT RaShede Hageman

18. Jets needs: WR, OG, CB    WR Marqise Lee

19.Dolphins Needs: OT, OG, RB    OT Zack Martin

20. Cardinals needs: OT, CB, OLB   CB Marcus Roberson

21. Packers needs: TE, S, LB    NT Louis Nix

22. Eagles needs: OLB, S, CB    LB Ryan Shazier

23. Chiefs needs: WR, DL, ILB    LB C.J. Mosley

24. Bengals needs: CB, OLB, S  FS Calvin Pryor

25. Chargers needs: CB, OG, OLB    TE Eric Ebron

26. Browns needs: QB, RB, OG    QB Derek Carr

27. Saints Needs: OT, OLB, CB    DE Dee Ford

28. Panthers needs: WR, CB, OL     WR Odell Beckham Jr.

29. Patriots needs:  OL, DL, TE, S    OC Travis Swanson

30. 49ers needs: WR, DL, CB    WR Jordan Matthews

31. Broncos needs: OT, CB, DL    DT Timmy Jernigan

32. Seahawks needs: WR, TE, OL  OG David Yankey

[/QUOTE]

Good overall mock, man, but I would HATE that first rounder by the Pats.  No offense, but I think there would be many better options available there.  If they want interior O-Line there, I like the UCLA Guard much more.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[/QUOTE]

Good overall mock, man, but I would HATE that first rounder by the Pats.  No offense, but I think there would be many better options available there.  If they want interior O-Line there, I like the UCLA Guard much more.

[/QUOTE]

NO idea why I went that way lol had Amaro first then changed to Tuitt before just going with Swanson.  Just keep thinking of push up the middle last few years, Swanson will be a probowl C sooner than later.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

NO idea why I went that way lol had Amaro first then changed to Tuitt before just going with Swanson.  Just keep thinking of push up the middle last few years, Swanson will be a probowl C sooner than later.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm not saying he is a bad player, just the opposite actually.  I think he will be good, too. I think he could be had late 2nd, though.  It would be bad value at 29, IMO.  If they traded back into the second and then took him, I would be okay with that.  You can't pass up guys like Amaro or Tuitt, among others for him though.  That being said, it does seem like a BB thing to do!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Haha, I have to admit, if BB/NC passes on Gilbert, Ealy, Tuitt or Jernigan, etc., for Swanson, I'll be in tje market for a new big screen after smashing mine.  Nice player,  but more  day 2 for me.  In regards to Gilbert, unless he severly injures himself between now and May, I don't see him getring outve the top 15/20... kid is a stud on tape and killed the combine.

Btw, we'll need you to kick of your annual thread/board wide mock soon!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Haha, I have to admit, if BB/NC passes on Gilbert, Ealy, Tuitt or Jernigan, etc., for Swanson, I'll be in tje market for a new big screen after smashing mine.  Nice player,  but more  day 2 for me.  In regards to Gilbert, unless he severly injures himself between now and May, I don't see him getring outve the top 15/20... kid is a stud on tape and killed the combine.

[/QUOTE]

Was just thinking about that thread, I had the hardest time doing my first mock.  Way too many 1st round grade talent and I went with C lol but have no clue why he came to mind on that spot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Was just thinking about that thread, I had the hardest time doing my first mock.  Way too many 1st round grade talent and I went with C lol but have no clue why he came to mind on that spot.

[/QUOTE]

Agree, very good depth... also agree rhat they'll nees to upgrade the interior OL... particularly the pivot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Agree, very good depth... also agree rhat they'll nees to upgrade the interior OL... particularly the pivot.

[/QUOTE]

Man I just have a bad feeling though, we might now see a NE pick until hour 2 or 3 on second day.  Only way I'm good with that if they are able to get 4 or 5 solid 2nd/3rd rounders which in this draft that's a nice hawl.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

mb and gents check this mock,

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/mock-drafts/daniel-jeremiah/190602

both Hageman and Nix available for Pats.  Daniel Jeremiah chooses Hageman for Pats, I'm undecided between those two.  I think Nix could be huge not just in size, I would call him mini VW but he's his twin.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

both Hageman and Nix available for Pats.  Daniel Jeremiah chooses Hageman for Pats, I'm undecided between those two.  I think Nix could be huge not just in size, I would call him mini VW but he's his twin.

[/QUOTE]

if Nix was somehow on the board at 29 and we didn't take him..... ....

he gives me VW 2.0 feelings

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

First attempt at a 1st round mock, I have no idea why but went with best center in the draft:

1. Texans  QB Blake Bortles

2. Rams  OT Jake Matthews

3. Jaguars QB Teddy Bridgewater

4. Browns WR Sammy Watkins

5. Raiders OT Greg Robinson

6. Falcons DE J. Clowney

7. Buccaneers OT Taylor Lewan

8. Vikings  QB Johnny Manziel

9. Bills  LB Khalil Mack

10. Lions  WR Mike Evans

11. Titans S H. Clinton-Dix

12. Giants   LB Anthony Barr

13. Rams WR Kelvin Benjamin

14. Bears  DT Aaron Donald

15. Steelers  CB Darqueze Dennard

16. Ravens  OT Cyrus Kouandjio

17. Cowboys  DT RaShede Hageman

18. Jets WR Marqise Lee

19.Dolphins OT Zack Martin

20. Cardinals CB Marcus Roberson

21. Packers  NT Louis Nix

22. Eagles LB Ryan Shazier

23. Chiefs  LB C.J. Mosley

24. Bengals  FS Calvin Pryor

25. Chargers  TE Eric Ebron

26. Browns QB Derek Carr

27. Saints  DE Dee Ford

28. Panthers  WR Odell Beckham Jr.

29. Patriots C Travis Swanson

30. 49ers WR Jordan Matthews

31. Broncos DT Timmy Jernigan

32. Seahawks OG David Yankey

[/QUOTE]

Some really good picks and in the end no one can predict what NE would do.  I am more interested in what you would do in the 2nd and 3rd with a OC a 1st rd pick.

Kouandijo because of knee problems will probably not go in the first. for CB, Gilbert will go top 15.

I think in the first round there will be a QB sitting at 29 that somone will move on and NE will trade out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Another thought from a recently departed OL coach named Scarnecchia. When asked what he thought the Patriots needed in the up coming draft he said DL and LB. MB there is where we should look in regards to BB's drafting plans for 2014. So my original pick of Hageman is in play, and I doubt CJ Mosely will be available in the latter stages of the 1rst round. There are of course the two Iowa kids and my favorite Bullough who by all accounts is a 3rd rounder at the earliest. So we grab Shazier or Skov early.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If both are available you have to go with Nix. He really is Vince 2.0. While I love Hageman he really is a boom or bust player so I'd rather Nix

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's a good choice to have, but IDK how you pass on Nix for Hageman.  Yeah, Irish Chocolate is as close to VW as you can prob come, haha.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Another thought from a recently departed OL coach named Scarnecchia. When asked what he thought the Patriots needed in the up coming draft he said DL and LB. MB there is where we should look in regards to BB's drafting plans for 2014. So my original pick of Hageman is in play, and I doubt CJ Mosely will be available in the latter stages of the 1rst round. There are of course the two Iowa kids and my favorite Bullough who by all accounts is a 3rd rounder at the earliest. So we grab Shazier or Skov early.

[/QUOTE]

The closer we get to the draft, the more that I think (based on who could be available) that they'll target the defensive side of the ball first.  So let me be the first to welcome Brandin Cooks to Foxoboro!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Man I just have a bad feeling though, we might now see a NE pick until hour 2 or 3 on second day.  Only way I'm good with that if they are able to get 4 or 5 solid 2nd/3rd rounders which in this draft that's a nice hawl.

[/QUOTE]

While I'd love them to land a potential impact starter on Day 1, I'd be OK with this kinda haul as well.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The closer we get to the draft, the more that I think (based on who could be available) that they'll target the defensive side of the ball first.  So let me be the first to welcome Brandin Cooks to Foxoboro!

[/QUOTE]

Fastest 60yrd in the history of all records at the combine 10.72, 4.33 40.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If both are available you have to go with Nix. He really is Vince 2.0. While I love Hageman he really is a boom or bust player so I'd rather Nix

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The more tape I see of Cody Latimer, the more I want him across from Dobson.  He looked very good vs. MSU's very good CB tandem of dennard and Waynes and even beat/boxed out Dennard for a TD.  He finished with 7-58-1, but his QB missed him a couple of times and Sparty had the #3 passing D in the country.

Sections
Shortcuts