***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tg19pats. Show tg19pats's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

Quick question, who are the late 4-7 round safeties the pats could look into? We all know we need a tough ss in the back of our defense. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to tg19pats' comment:

Quick question, who are the late 4-7 round safeties the pats could look into? We all know we need a tough ss in the back of our defense. 

Below are 10 safeties that interest me in that range:

Antone Exum- VT

Craig Loston- LSU

Brock Vereen- Minnesota

Vinnie Sunseri- Alabama

Hakeem Smith- Lousiville

Dontae Johnson- NC State

Isaiah Lewis- Michigan State

Jason Hendricks- Pitt

Dan Sorensen- BYU

Shamiel Gary- Oklahoma St

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Doing the mock draft and man this is a talented draft, I can't argue looking at teams coming up 11 to 20 with prospects ranked into the 20s being pick at those spots.  Take CBS 25th ranked Calvin Pryor, can anyone say it would be a reach if he's picked at 13 or 14?  or OG Suafilo picked by giants 12 if no OTs are left?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:

Doing the mock draft and man this is a talented draft, I can't argue looking at teams coming up 11 to 20 with prospects ranked into the 20s being pick at those spots.  Take CBS 25th ranked Calvin Pryor, can anyone say it would be a reach if he's picked at 13 or 14?  or OG Suafilo picked by giants 12 if no OTs are left?

I could see Calvin Pryor there... Zack Martin > Su'a-Filo and I think he'd still be there.

But to your overall point... yes, draft is deep/loaded, haha.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Antone Exum- VT

Craig Loston- LSU

Brock Vereen- Minnesota

Vinnie Sunseri- Alabama

Hakeem Smith- Lousiville

Dontae Johnson- NC State

Jason Hendricks- Pitt

Dan Sorensen- BYU

where's ahmad dixon?  Think he should be in the conversation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Antone Exum- VT

Craig Loston- LSU

Brock Vereen- Minnesota

Vinnie Sunseri- Alabama

Hakeem Smith- Lousiville

Dontae Johnson- NC State

Jason Hendricks- Pitt

Dan Sorensen- BYU

where's ahmad dixon?  Think he should be in the conversation.

He could be an option as well, but left him off due to his poor triangle #'s (worst 3C / 7.55 of any DB that ran at the combine and the 2nd worst SS / 4.50).  To put things in perspetive, there were (8) OL and (19) DL with better 3C times... (9) OL better in the SS... DL didn't have SS times posted that I saw.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

So I just moved CB to top of needs for Pats, anyone see Talib just said he wants a top of market deal.  He will be priced out of NE.  If he gets that type deal I think Cromarty, Vonte Davis will also be too high price tag for NE. The colts have $40+mil in cap space, they can afford to pay top dollar for a CB.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Antone Exum- VT

Craig Loston- LSU

Brock Vereen- Minnesota

Vinnie Sunseri- Alabama

Hakeem Smith- Lousiville

Dontae Johnson- NC State

Jason Hendricks- Pitt

Dan Sorensen- BYU

I would consider Kenny Ladler (6'0, 207) from Vanderbilt, 24 bench, 4.7 40, 10"7" BJ, no 3 cone. Tackles well and very strong but is more of an in box safety, improved every year and started over 50 games.  Needs to continue improvement in route recognition.  Have him at a six round grade.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Antone Exum- VT

Craig Loston- LSU

Brock Vereen- Minnesota

Vinnie Sunseri- Alabama

Hakeem Smith- Lousiville

Dontae Johnson- NC State

Jason Hendricks- Pitt

Dan Sorensen- BYU

I would consider Kenny Ladler (6'0, 207) from Vanderbilt, 24 bench, 4.7 40, 10"7" BJ, no 3 cone. Tackles well and very strong but is more of an in box safety, improved every year and started over 50 games.  Needs to continue improvement in route recognition.  Have him at a six round grade.

Yes, he's another option in that range.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

So I just moved CB to top of needs for Pats, anyone see Talib just said he wants a top of market deal.  He will be priced out of NE.  If he gets that type deal I think Cromarty, Vonte Davis will also be too high price tag for NE. The colts have $40+mil in cap space, they can afford to pay top dollar for a CB.

Roby and Fuller are the names that I would consider in the Top 40 or so.  I also like Stanley Jean-Baptiste, EJ Gaines, Antone Exum (CB or S) and Rashaad Reynolds in the middle rounds.  Reynolds is an undersized kid (5-10 189), but very underrated, IMO... tough kid, very good in run support and very good feet/COD... well versed in zone/off-man coverages.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Roby and Fuller are the names that I would consider in the Top 40 or so.  I also like Stanley Jean-Baptiste, EJ Gaines, Antone Exum (CB or S) and Rashaad Reynolds in the middle rounds.  Reynolds is an undersized kid (5-10 189), but very underrated, IMO... tough kid, very good in run support and very good feet/COD... well versed in zone/off-man coverages.

What do you think about Pierre Desir?  Senior Bowl he looked the part but he's a small school kid who could have some growing pains.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

What do you think about Pierre Desir?  Senior Bowl he looked the part but he's a small school kid who could have some growing pains.  

Looks the part, def flashed some ability during SB week.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Wisconsin Pro Day
    Besides Ra'Shede Hageman on the sidelines, as many as a dozen Badgers worked out for scouts today. As someone put it, "Dezmen Southward killed it." Early marks for the big-bodied safety include a forty time of 4.37s and a vertical jump of 40-inches.

Ethan Hemer also impressed scouts by measuring 6050/291, completing 32 reps on the bench then timing 5.50s/forty, 4.66s/short shuttle and 7.46s/3 cone. His other marks included 29.5 inches on the vertical jump and 9-1 broad jump. Hemer is a sleeper of sorts. The big defensive lineman was forced to lose 30-pounds in the offseason so as to fit the Badgers new defensive system and struggled a bit after a terrific junior campaign in 2013. Most believe he'll be a much better player at his natural playing weight, just over 300 pounds.

Receiver Jared Abbrederis and running back James White stood on their combine times and did not run the forty.

Chris Borland clocked 4.83s in the forty and tight end Jacob Pederson 4.89s.

Defensive tackle Beau Allen did not run the forty rather timed 1.75s at 10 yards, 4.55s/short shuttle and 7.33/s three cone. Other marks include 30 reps on the bench.

http://walterfootball.com/proday.php

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Wisconsin Pro Day
    Besides Ra'Shede Hageman on the sidelines, as many as a dozen Badgers worked out for scouts today. As someone put it, "Dezmen Southward killed it." Early marks for the big-bodied safety include a forty time of 4.37s and a vertical jump of 40-inches.

Ethan Hemer also impressed scouts by measuring 6050/291, completing 32 reps on the bench then timing 5.50s/forty, 4.66s/short shuttle and 7.46s/3 cone. His other marks included 29.5 inches on the vertical jump and 9-1 broad jump. Hemer is a sleeper of sorts. The big defensive lineman was forced to lose 30-pounds in the offseason so as to fit the Badgers new defensive system and struggled a bit after a terrific junior campaign in 2013. Most believe he'll be a much better player at his natural playing weight, just over 300 pounds.

Receiver Jared Abbrederis and running back James White stood on their combine times and did not run the forty.

Defensive tackle Beau Allen did not run the forty rather timed 1.75s at 10 yards, 4.55s/short shuttle and 7.33/s three cone. Other marks include 30 reps on the bench.

good stuff, will have to check out Southward more closely. Any news if the pats were in attendence?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Wisconsin Pro Day

good stuff, will have to check out Southward more closely. Any news if the pats were in attendence?

Ryan Rodig @ryanrodigwfrv Follow

Packers, Lions, Bengals, Bills, Panthers, Raiders, Chargers, Dolphins, Colts, Texans among teams represented at #Badgers Pro Day

Have not found anything definite on Wisconsin, GB was there to see Borland, Cincinnati also sent scouts, I am many teams were there, but I know Caserio was in Mississippi on Monday to possibly see Moncrief

Mississippi
    Two dozen teams were on hand to watch the Rebels workout today and amongst the decision makers was Nick Cesario of the New England Patriots.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Ryan Rodig @ryanrodigwfrv Follow

Packers, Lions, Bengals, Bills, Panthers, Raiders, Chargers, Dolphins, Colts, Texans among teams represented at #Badgers Pro Day

Have not found anything definite on Wisconsin, GB was there to see Borland, Cincinnati also sent scouts, I am many teams were there, but I know Caserio was in Mississippi on Monday to possibly see Moncrief

Mississippi
    Two dozen teams were on hand to watch the Rebels workout today and amongst the decision makers was Nick Cesario of the New England Patriots.

Donte Moncrief the big WR? Interesting if that's who he's watching. Esp since they talked with Coleman too, both big guys who are down field threats with deceptive speed for big guys but not much in the way of physical players for their size. Make you wonder why they doubled dipped at WR last year when this year was clearly the better WR year to go with.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Time to check Southward's tape out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

It'll be interesting to see if they have any interest in Benjamin as that flex TE type.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

If anyone finds video on Southward share please lol I can't find anything!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

If anyone finds video on Southward share please lol I can't find anything!

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/dezmen-southward-vs-arizona-st-2013/

Solid size/speed kid, active, versatile (slot coverage experience, also played some CB), plays with some physicality.  Instincts, awareness and read/react aren't ideal.  Solid mid rounder.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I agree. I think CB is now more pressing than S. Talib proved, that was the missing link on D. Also more expensive than S in FA, no? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

It'll be interesting to see if they have any interest in Benjamin as that flex TE type.

It makes sense. He's already 240. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

If CB moves up to be a 1st Rd pick for NE, I think Fuller would be a good choice.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

If CB moves up to be a 1st Rd pick for NE, I think Fuller would be a good choice.

My choice too. About 10 spots of a reach at 29 but I would not mind if they did. IMO once you get out of the top 15, grades will vary by as much as +/- 7 spots, depending on whose evaluating.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

have you guys looked into DeRon Furr? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0_VlZmCSOk

He is on radars, has done a few interviews one is online.  Believe he will be at one of the prodays later in March.

Also, I'm a huge fan of small school guys who make it, rule for small school guys they must had dominated their oponents

The ones I would put money on these to get their names called:

Reggie Jordan TE 6'3" 240lbs, a flex type player runs well and has good vert to go up for the ball.  

Zach Kerr DT/NT 6'1" 326lbs, very quick off the ball plays in backfield, can he do it with bigger stronger guys I think yes because of his quickness and movement at that weight. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As0ACtkIgZc

Walt Aikens CB 6'1" 205lbs at senior bowl he didn't have a good showing the first few days but started coming around.  Think it was big lights type thing but has all the tools and speed to develop into a #2 CB.

Qua Cox CB 5'10" 184lbs Cox is an excellent cover CB, but he's overlooked even though I believe bold statement, he should be no lower than a 4th round pick but probably goes undrafted.  

Have a few more but will share those later, trying to get their pro days.

Added one more because he's a beast well as much as you can be coming from Concordia-St. Paul.

Zack Moore 6'5" 270lbs this kid is raw but has incredible athletic ability and in Division II racked up 33 sacks in college.  High character kid who works hard to improve.  

Sections
Shortcuts