***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to Pats7393's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Quick question, say Armstead is 100% healthy (take any concern of what was wrong with him in 2013) what round based on what we know would you take him?

What player in this year's draft does he recemenble the most?

[/QUOTE]

The thing is you can't discount the health. He has late 2nd - late 3rd round talent however, the reason he wasn't drafted was his health. 32 teams, including the Pats all passed on him once because of it and don't getting on the field last year hurt. If that was his senior year in college I'd put his value in the 6th-UDFA range. Someone a team would take a risk on if he didn't cost much with some upside.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Quick question, say Armstead is 100% healthy (take any concern of what was wrong with him in 2013) what round based on what we know would you take him?

What player in this year's draft does he recemenble the most?

[/QUOTE]

The thing is you can't discount the health. He has late 2nd - late 3rd round talent however, the reason he wasn't drafted was his health. 32 teams, including the Pats all passed on him once because of it and don't getting on the field last year hurt. If that was his senior year in college I'd put his value in the 6th-UDFA range. Someone a team would take a risk on if he didn't cost much with some upside.

[/QUOTE]

I agree on health, mine was more understanding his value.  We don't know how he has progressed from what was wrong with him.  He's a big question mark but trying to think if he has been cleared does that change anything in the draft. 

Wasn't diminishing his medical history, but he had a full year of recovery.  He played all 2009 and 2010 DE/DT missed 2011 due to chest pains, played all 2012 in Canada missed 2013 because of an infection was it so thinking he's on track for a full year now lol just following the patern.

So question is, if he's back healthy now are the Patriots still looking for VW replacement or will they roll the dice with VW, TK and company.  

Another ? Cory Grissom, he might be the forgotten DT Pats still have on the roster.  Another one with injury questions but is someone the brass has full medical on him.  He's a space eater with some quickness off the snap.  Also full year recovery, should had been a 3rd rnd had he not had injury concerns. 

So making a long story short, we see DT as major need is it really in BB eyes?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

I agree on health, mine was more understanding his value.  We don't know how he has progressed from what was wrong with him.  He's a big question mark but trying to think if he has been cleared does that change anything in the draft. 

Wasn't diminishing his medical history, but he had a full year of recovery.  He played all 2009 and 2010 DE/DT missed 2011 due to chest pains, played all 2012 in Canada missed 2013 because of an infection was it so thinking he's on track for a full year now lol just following the patern.

So question is, if he's back healthy now are the Patriots still looking for VW replacement or will they roll the dice with VW, TK and company.  

Another ? Cory Grissom, he might be the forgotten DT Pats still have on the roster.  Another one with injury questions but is someone the brass has full medical on him.  He's a space eater with some quickness off the snap.  Also full year recovery, should had been a 3rd rnd had he not had injury concerns. 

So making a long story short, we see DT as major need is it really in BB eyes?

[/QUOTE]

The thing was he was always knicked up in college too. I don't think he went a single year without getting injured. So as I looked at him was anything we got was gravy but I didn't want to count on him. And saying he's a 2nd round talent to me means you are planning on counting on him at some point.

I'm wondering if BB actually sees the red flags like injures or if he thinks it's just bad luck. I mean we have 7 starters who are considered injury prone and 6 of them this year got injured. If he starts filling the depth chart with injury guys because they bring better value that really concerns me. Imo you can have some of those guys, esp when you have depth enough to compensate if they go down but if a 1/4 of your roster is known to get injured during the year (which for the last couple of years has with the Pats) to me that's an issue.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

Post Combine mock:

So going over some stuff and looking at who the Pats talked to and some 3 cone numbers (honestly the Pats love 3 cone numbers) here is my post combine mock. I tried not to have any trades but with the expected 3 comp picks I couldn't help but to package the 6th and 7th to move into the 5th for a single player but no guesses as to early rounds or Mallett because that's almost useless:

1st - RaShede Hageman DT -  I know most are thinking TE and generally I agree but I think BB has his eyes set on one player for TE and he can get him in the 2nd. Hageman though has the size BB loves and versatility to move all over the line. If Nix was here BB would take him but Hageman is BBs chance at getting a Watt type of player and I just don't see BB missing a chance at getting that type of player considering how much BB compliments Watt.

2nd - CJ Fiedorowicz TE - Niklas might be the pick but I don't see him making it to the back of the 2nd. Fiedorowicz however has all the ear marks of a BB pick. Was one of the more solid TE's at the SB, top 3 cone and 20 shuttle time, and is just a wide body grinder who has great hands. He also has a connection with Herns brother who BB has still maintained contact even after the event.

3rd - Brandon Coleman WR - The Pats have been 1 of 3 teams linked to Coleman and you have to love his size and speed. He's the type of player you can toss on the outside and just toss it up to him. Not to mention RZ being a huge problem last year without Gronk and that's where Coleman would shine. Personally I'd rather have a more complete player in Hoffman but Coleman would make sense.

4th - Antone Exum CB/S - This is a great value pick the Pats love to take a chance on in the 4th. It looks increasing like Exum is going to have to move to S in the Pro's and at 6'1" 225lbs it wouldn't be hard to see him move to the SS role. He hits hard and can play in the run game but has CB skills to cover TE's and slot guys. It's BB's ideal SS, basically one with the coverage skills of a CB, the athletism of a FS, and the body of a SS.

5th (trade) - Aaron Lynch DE - BB just can't turn down this talent. What many considered a sure 1st round pick after his rook season suddenly things feel apart quickly. In the 5th the value of a top end pass rusher is too much to give up.

6th (comp) - Joe Dun Duncan TE - BB double dips at TE position and gets the hidden gem of the draft. Good route runner, very strong, and great hands. He could turn out to be one of the better TE's in the draft.

6th (comp) - Alex Bullard G/C - BB seems to like Tenn's OL so why not start with Bullard who's a swing player? It's a position of need and Bullard has good potential in the late rounds.

7th (comp) -  Zach Fuller G - Another Tenn player back to back. Why not grab 2 players for the OL? They already know each other and play well together so grabbing 2 who could play next to each other makes perfect sense.

[/QUOTE]

There's a very good chance that I'll have CJ (on Day 2) and Exum (Rd 4) in my next mock as well.

I'd be content with Hageman, but prefer Tuitt if he's there.

Like you, I prefer other WR's in Rd 3 (i.e. Latimer), but Coleman makes sense as you mention.

I can't say that I'm a huge Lynch guy, but why not take a chance on upside at that  point.

Would be a pretty good spot to land Hillbilly Duncan.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tg19pats. Show tg19pats's posts

Quick question, who are the late 4-7 round safeties the pats could look into? We all know we need a tough ss in the back of our defense. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to tg19pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Quick question, who are the late 4-7 round safeties the pats could look into? We all know we need a tough ss in the back of our defense. 

[/QUOTE]

Below are 10 safeties that interest me in that range:

Antone Exum- VT

Craig Loston- LSU

Brock Vereen- Minnesota

Vinnie Sunseri- Alabama

Hakeem Smith- Lousiville

Dontae Johnson- NC State

Isaiah Lewis- Michigan State

Jason Hendricks- Pitt

Dan Sorensen- BYU

Shamiel Gary- Oklahoma St

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Doing the mock draft and man this is a talented draft, I can't argue looking at teams coming up 11 to 20 with prospects ranked into the 20s being pick at those spots.  Take CBS 25th ranked Calvin Pryor, can anyone say it would be a reach if he's picked at 13 or 14?  or OG Suafilo picked by giants 12 if no OTs are left?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Doing the mock draft and man this is a talented draft, I can't argue looking at teams coming up 11 to 20 with prospects ranked into the 20s being pick at those spots.  Take CBS 25th ranked Calvin Pryor, can anyone say it would be a reach if he's picked at 13 or 14?  or OG Suafilo picked by giants 12 if no OTs are left?

I could see Calvin Pryor there... Zack Martin > Su'a-Filo and I think he'd still be there.

But to your overall point... yes, draft is deep/loaded, haha.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Antone Exum- VT

Craig Loston- LSU

Brock Vereen- Minnesota

Vinnie Sunseri- Alabama

Hakeem Smith- Lousiville

Dontae Johnson- NC State

Jason Hendricks- Pitt

Dan Sorensen- BYU

[/QUOTE]

where's ahmad dixon?  Think he should be in the conversation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Antone Exum- VT

Craig Loston- LSU

Brock Vereen- Minnesota

Vinnie Sunseri- Alabama

Hakeem Smith- Lousiville

Dontae Johnson- NC State

Jason Hendricks- Pitt

Dan Sorensen- BYU

[/QUOTE]

where's ahmad dixon?  Think he should be in the conversation.

[/QUOTE]

He could be an option as well, but left him off due to his poor triangle #'s (worst 3C / 7.55 of any DB that ran at the combine and the 2nd worst SS / 4.50).  To put things in perspetive, there were (8) OL and (19) DL with better 3C times... (9) OL better in the SS... DL didn't have SS times posted that I saw.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

So I just moved CB to top of needs for Pats, anyone see Talib just said he wants a top of market deal.  He will be priced out of NE.  If he gets that type deal I think Cromarty, Vonte Davis will also be too high price tag for NE. The colts have $40+mil in cap space, they can afford to pay top dollar for a CB.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Antone Exum- VT

Craig Loston- LSU

Brock Vereen- Minnesota

Vinnie Sunseri- Alabama

Hakeem Smith- Lousiville

Dontae Johnson- NC State

Jason Hendricks- Pitt

Dan Sorensen- BYU

[/QUOTE]

I would consider Kenny Ladler (6'0, 207) from Vanderbilt, 24 bench, 4.7 40, 10"7" BJ, no 3 cone. Tackles well and very strong but is more of an in box safety, improved every year and started over 50 games.  Needs to continue improvement in route recognition.  Have him at a six round grade.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Antone Exum- VT

Craig Loston- LSU

Brock Vereen- Minnesota

Vinnie Sunseri- Alabama

Hakeem Smith- Lousiville

Dontae Johnson- NC State

Jason Hendricks- Pitt

Dan Sorensen- BYU

[/QUOTE]

I would consider Kenny Ladler (6'0, 207) from Vanderbilt, 24 bench, 4.7 40, 10"7" BJ, no 3 cone. Tackles well and very strong but is more of an in box safety, improved every year and started over 50 games.  Needs to continue improvement in route recognition.  Have him at a six round grade.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, he's another option in that range.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

So I just moved CB to top of needs for Pats, anyone see Talib just said he wants a top of market deal.  He will be priced out of NE.  If he gets that type deal I think Cromarty, Vonte Davis will also be too high price tag for NE. The colts have $40+mil in cap space, they can afford to pay top dollar for a CB.

[/QUOTE]

Roby and Fuller are the names that I would consider in the Top 40 or so.  I also like Stanley Jean-Baptiste, EJ Gaines, Antone Exum (CB or S) and Rashaad Reynolds in the middle rounds.  Reynolds is an undersized kid (5-10 189), but very underrated, IMO... tough kid, very good in run support and very good feet/COD... well versed in zone/off-man coverages.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Roby and Fuller are the names that I would consider in the Top 40 or so.  I also like Stanley Jean-Baptiste, EJ Gaines, Antone Exum (CB or S) and Rashaad Reynolds in the middle rounds.  Reynolds is an undersized kid (5-10 189), but very underrated, IMO... tough kid, very good in run support and very good feet/COD... well versed in zone/off-man coverages.

[/QUOTE]

What do you think about Pierre Desir?  Senior Bowl he looked the part but he's a small school kid who could have some growing pains.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What do you think about Pierre Desir?  Senior Bowl he looked the part but he's a small school kid who could have some growing pains.  

[/QUOTE]

Looks the part, def flashed some ability during SB week.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Wisconsin Pro Day
    Besides Ra'Shede Hageman on the sidelines, as many as a dozen Badgers worked out for scouts today. As someone put it, "Dezmen Southward killed it." Early marks for the big-bodied safety include a forty time of 4.37s and a vertical jump of 40-inches.

Ethan Hemer also impressed scouts by measuring 6050/291, completing 32 reps on the bench then timing 5.50s/forty, 4.66s/short shuttle and 7.46s/3 cone. His other marks included 29.5 inches on the vertical jump and 9-1 broad jump. Hemer is a sleeper of sorts. The big defensive lineman was forced to lose 30-pounds in the offseason so as to fit the Badgers new defensive system and struggled a bit after a terrific junior campaign in 2013. Most believe he'll be a much better player at his natural playing weight, just over 300 pounds.

Receiver Jared Abbrederis and running back James White stood on their combine times and did not run the forty.

Chris Borland clocked 4.83s in the forty and tight end Jacob Pederson 4.89s.

Defensive tackle Beau Allen did not run the forty rather timed 1.75s at 10 yards, 4.55s/short shuttle and 7.33/s three cone. Other marks include 30 reps on the bench.

http://walterfootball.com/proday.php

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Wisconsin Pro Day
    Besides Ra'Shede Hageman on the sidelines, as many as a dozen Badgers worked out for scouts today. As someone put it, "Dezmen Southward killed it." Early marks for the big-bodied safety include a forty time of 4.37s and a vertical jump of 40-inches.

Ethan Hemer also impressed scouts by measuring 6050/291, completing 32 reps on the bench then timing 5.50s/forty, 4.66s/short shuttle and 7.46s/3 cone. His other marks included 29.5 inches on the vertical jump and 9-1 broad jump. Hemer is a sleeper of sorts. The big defensive lineman was forced to lose 30-pounds in the offseason so as to fit the Badgers new defensive system and struggled a bit after a terrific junior campaign in 2013. Most believe he'll be a much better player at his natural playing weight, just over 300 pounds.

Receiver Jared Abbrederis and running back James White stood on their combine times and did not run the forty.

Defensive tackle Beau Allen did not run the forty rather timed 1.75s at 10 yards, 4.55s/short shuttle and 7.33/s three cone. Other marks include 30 reps on the bench.

[/QUOTE]

good stuff, will have to check out Southward more closely. Any news if the pats were in attendence?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

Wisconsin Pro Day

good stuff, will have to check out Southward more closely. Any news if the pats were in attendence?

[/QUOTE]
    Ryan Rodig @ryanrodigwfrv Follow

Packers, Lions, Bengals, Bills, Panthers, Raiders, Chargers, Dolphins, Colts, Texans among teams represented at #Badgers Pro Day

Have not found anything definite on Wisconsin, GB was there to see Borland, Cincinnati also sent scouts, I am many teams were there, but I know Caserio was in Mississippi on Monday to possibly see Moncrief

Mississippi
    Two dozen teams were on hand to watch the Rebels workout today and amongst the decision makers was Nick Cesario of the New England Patriots.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Ryan Rodig @ryanrodigwfrv Follow

Packers, Lions, Bengals, Bills, Panthers, Raiders, Chargers, Dolphins, Colts, Texans among teams represented at #Badgers Pro Day

Have not found anything definite on Wisconsin, GB was there to see Borland, Cincinnati also sent scouts, I am many teams were there, but I know Caserio was in Mississippi on Monday to possibly see Moncrief

Mississippi
    Two dozen teams were on hand to watch the Rebels workout today and amongst the decision makers was Nick Cesario of the New England Patriots.

[/QUOTE]

Donte Moncrief the big WR? Interesting if that's who he's watching. Esp since they talked with Coleman too, both big guys who are down field threats with deceptive speed for big guys but not much in the way of physical players for their size. Make you wonder why they doubled dipped at WR last year when this year was clearly the better WR year to go with.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Time to check Southward's tape out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

It'll be interesting to see if they have any interest in Benjamin as that flex TE type.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

If anyone finds video on Southward share please lol I can't find anything!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

If anyone finds video on Southward share please lol I can't find anything!

[/QUOTE]

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/dezmen-southward-vs-arizona-st-2013/

Solid size/speed kid, active, versatile (slot coverage experience, also played some CB), plays with some physicality.  Instincts, awareness and read/react aren't ideal.  Solid mid rounder.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think CB is now more pressing than S. Talib proved, that was the missing link on D. Also more expensive than S in FA, no?