***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

Here is another: Who?

Patriots work out Cal kicker Vincenzo D'Amato National Football Post By Aaron Wilson 2 hours ago

The New England Patriots worked out kicker Vincenzo D'Amato at Cal today, according to a source.

He has also drawn interest from the New York Giants.

D'Amato was a second-team All-Pac 12 selection.

He connected on 17 of 20 field goals last season, hitting all 11 tries inside 45 yards.

Aaron Wilson @RavensInsider 3h

Patriots worked out kicker VIncenzo D'Amato at Cal today. Giants have also displayed interest, per a source

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

By Tony Pauline

Verrett to have surgery

5 Mar

After a lengthy examination then re-examination process TCU cornerback Jason Verrett has decided to undergo surgery to repair his injured labrum.  Here’s why.

Speaking with those from Verrett’s camp this evening I found out most of the news from doctors re-examining his injured labrum was positive.  Verrett was offered two options; 1) rehabilitate his injured labrum without surgery or 2) undergo surgery to repair the labrum.

While rehabilitation without the surgery sounded comforting I’m told Verrett was informed he would be dealing with a large degree of potential pain moving forward and there was no guarantee another knock to the shoulder would not further damage the labrum at which point surgery would be a necessity.  That meant the possibility of missing a portion of the 2014 season.

Surgery before the draft would immediately repair the injury, lessen any pain experienced from the start of camp and severely reduce the potential of further damage moving forward.

Considering Verrett will have at least four months after the procedure to rehab his labrum, undergoing surgery was a no brainer.

I’m told Verrett’s schedule will closely follow what I originally reported from the combine on Saturday, February 22nd, though the date of surgery has yet to be confirmed.

Tomorrow Verrett will participate in pro-day at TCU and is expected to bench press and take part in position drills.  League franchises will also be informed of the exact date of the surgery in the next day or so.

League sources told me tonight this will not effect Verrett’s draft stock.  Dion Jordan and Dee Milliner had similar procedures a year ago and both ended up in the top ten selections in the 2013 NFL Draft.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

WR Mike Evans met with New England March 6th, 2014 Morgan Smith Posted in Features, Main, News, Opinions

USATSI_7425351_154511498_lowres-515x343

The New England Patriots held a meeting with Texas A&M WR Mike Evans Tuesday.

Mike Evans is a top 10 pick so New England isn’t getting him but wanted to meet with the talented 6’5 receiver.

The Patriots drafted Aaron Dobson in the 2nd round last year, and Josh Boyce in the 4th round. They also signed undrafted free agent WR Kenbrell Thompkins.

When Boyce played he impressed with his speed, but not his hands. Dobson, and Thompkins had moments but never lived up to be as good as expected.

The Pats need another wide receiver because they can’t count on these guys again because who knows if they actually develop.

Edelman and Brady need some help and Evans would be a mega boost, but he isn’t coming to New England so congrats to whoever lands him!

http://www.patriotsgab.com/2014/03/06/wr-mike-evans-met-with-new-england/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

What do you guys make of this pats mock?  I have to admit, in some weird way I really don't think I would be too upset.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1968849-new-england-patriots-mock-draft-7-round-predictions-post-combine/page/2

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

WR Mike Evans met with New England March 6th, 2014 Morgan Smith Posted in Features, Main, News, Opinions

USATSI_7425351_154511498_lowres-515x343

The New England Patriots held a meeting with Texas A&M WR Mike Evans Tuesday.

Mike Evans is a top 10 pick so New England isn’t getting him but wanted to meet with the talented 6’5 receiver.

The Patriots drafted Aaron Dobson in the 2nd round last year, and Josh Boyce in the 4th round. They also signed undrafted free agent WR Kenbrell Thompkins.

When Boyce played he impressed with his speed, but not his hands. Dobson, and Thompkins had moments but never lived up to be as good as expected.

The Pats need another wide receiver because they can’t count on these guys again because who knows if they actually develop.

Edelman and Brady need some help and Evans would be a mega boost, but he isn’t coming to New England so congrats to whoever lands him!

http://www.patriotsgab.com/2014/03/06/wr-mike-evans-met-with-new-england/

This is a classic BB move! He interviews all of the top guys, his reasoning is he learns more about the guys even if he doesn't draft them he can learn how to exploit their skills or lack of the same.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:

What do you guys make of this pats mock?  I have to admit, in some weird way I really don't think I would be too upset.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1968849-new-england-patriots-mock-draft-7-round-predictions-post-combine/page/2

Unless we fix needs in FA, not strong enough, Burton is a nice pick, but there are better players to pick in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Swanson is overrated. Not sure we select a QB this year or wait till next. Bullough is tough but not quick enough. Blanchflower is a good value pick.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

This is a classic BB move! He interviews all of the top guys, his reasoning is he learns more about the guys even if he doesn't draft them he can learn how to exploit their skills or lack of the same.

Judging from his T. Wilson pick I'd rather he spend time actually investigating who he should draft than worrying about talent so other team is going to get.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I've seen you guys talk about Moncrief. Pretty good receiver. However when I see you guys talk about him it is almost always with some reference to his size. Why?

Although he has good size he plays to his speed and quickness assets and not his size. I just watched three game cutdowns of his and he never beats anyone high for a contested ball and never uses the size of his body to shield the ball from the defender while making a catch. Doesn't seem to be his style. Decent blocker.

His movement style reminded me a bit of Brandon Lloyd. He doesn't do that giant stutter step that Brandon used to do but he has the same sort of fluid athleticism.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Unless we fix needs in FA, not strong enough, Burton is a nice pick, but there are better players to pick in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Swanson is overrated. Not sure we select a QB this year or wait till next. Bullough is tough but not quick enough. Blanchflower is a good value pick.

Man I like Swanson, think he would be a very nice pickup and add beef to the middle that's been missing.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Way to weak for me. I like the Hageman pick but the rest? Not sure I like using a 3rd on a backup when we have clear holes at starting positions. The TE picks don't seem like anything all that great and given Gronk's inability to stay healthy and the lack of talent in the WR core not sure how that really helps the team. McCarron I'd like only if Malletts traded for an extra pick otherwise we have other holes we need to fill. C in the 2nd? Generally the Pats don't take interior OL that early and wonder what the direct pay of is vs getting a better TE and grabbing a C later. I can think of other WR's I want but none in the 7th, still that late not sure he'd even make the squad vs Moe or Harrison so rather target a OL for depth or PS and try to develop them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Hearing Raji might stay in GB, this helps NE land Nix. Could see Pitt, SD, maybe Chicago grab him before NE.  Still hearing that somes teams think he is just a 2 down player, may slip.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Hey Low,

Can you see what you (or anyone) can get on Kaneakua Friel BYU?  A buddy of mine keeps telling me this guy is a hidden gem, I have no clue what he's talking about.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Way to weak for me. I like the Hageman pick but the rest? Not sure I like using a 3rd on a backup when we have clear holes at starting positions. The TE picks don't seem like anything all that great and given Gronk's inability to stay healthy and the lack of talent in the WR core not sure how that really helps the team. McCarron I'd like only if Malletts traded for an extra pick otherwise we have other holes we need to fill. C in the 2nd? Generally the Pats don't take interior OL that early and wonder what the direct pay of is vs getting a better TE and grabbing a C later. I can think of other WR's I want but none in the 7th, still that late not sure he'd even make the squad vs Moe or Harrison so rather target a OL for depth or PS and try to develop them.

Am I the only this high on Swanson? lol  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Man I like Swanson, think he would be a very nice pickup and add beef to the middle that's been missing.  

I like him but think an OC could be picked up later or we go guard and move Connelly to OC. I like Connelly better at OC.   I think Martin, Richburg are the same or better than Swanson.  Free Agent Ted Larsen who was drafted by NE could be a possiblity.  I think the we have in-house solutions with Kline at OG and and Barker OG/OC as an option also.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Hageman I like.

I think there are better players, at other positions that could be available in Rd 2 and would prefer a C later in the draft... maybe a Chris Watt or Bryan Stork on Day 3, etc.

I like Bullough, but more on Day 3.

McCarron would be very good value in Rd 4.

Love Burton and Blanchflower in Rd 6.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

I've seen you guys talk about Moncrief. Pretty good receiver. However when I see you guys talk about him it is almost always with some reference to his size. Why?

Although he has good size he plays to his speed and quickness assets and not his size. I just watched three game cutdowns of his and he never beats anyone high for a contested ball and never uses the size of his body to shield the ball from the defender while making a catch. Doesn't seem to be his style. Decent blocker.

His movement style reminded me a bit of Brandon Lloyd. He doesn't do that giant stutter step that Brandon used to do but he has the same sort of fluid athleticism.

I think it's a fair criticism of Moncrief, he doesn't play to his size consistently, though I'd argue that most "bigger" WR's seem to be more finesse players, while the smaller kids seem to be more gritty/physical (I think I just had a case of deja vu)... IDK, that's just how it seems to me.

On the positive side, he's a big kid who can run by defenders, create after the catch and make plays.

He has more burst than Latimer, but I think Latimer uses his body better and is better with contested throws.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Hey Low,

Can you see what you (or anyone) can get on Kaneakua Friel BYU?  A buddy of mine keeps telling me this guy is a hidden gem, I have no clue what he's talking about.

Not a lot of tape out there on him... good size (6-4 260), has some translatable skills and runs tough after the catch... I'd need to see more tape to give a better answer, but  I didn't see any outstanding traits.  Looks like the late Rd/URFA projectio is pretty close.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Hey Low,

Not a lot of tape out there on him... good size (6-4 260), has some translatable skills and runs tough after the catch... I'd need to see more tape to give a better answer, but  I didn't see any outstanding traits.  Looks like the late Rd/URFA projectio is pretty close.

Yeah I know nothing about him but my buddie keeps telling me he's the real thing and will be a stud.  Just trying to see what the hecks he's talking about.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Hey Low,

Yeah I know nothing about him but my buddie keeps telling me he's the real thing and will be a stud.  Just trying to see what the hecks he's talking about.

Your buddy live in Provo? ha

He hasn't done much against ND, so I hadn't really noticed him there either.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I don't see the Pats getting Pryor, Hageman or Nix. A more likely scenario is that the Pats get the 5th best DT or 2nd best TE (Amaro or Ebron depending on draft evaluators). I am writing this because I saw Pryor mocked to the Pats in the board draft; i've seen Pryor mocked as high as 9th (to the Bills once the lose jarius Byrd) and is low as 27. I see Pryor going in the 15-20 range at this point.

Good job guys.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

I don't see the Pats getting Pryor, Hageman or Nix. A more likely scenario is that the Pats get the 5th best DT or 2nd best TE (Amaro or Ebron depending on draft evaluators). I am writing this because I saw Pryor mocked to the Pats in the board draft; i've seen Pryor mocked as high as 9th (to the Bills once the lose jarius Byrd) and is low as 27. I see Pryor going in the 15-20 range at this point.

Good job guys.

I don't think anybody (including me) thinks that there is a certainty that Pryor will be there... he's the best S in the draft, IMO, so If he goes top 15, it's completely justifiable.

I think there's a decent chance that Hageman could be there, same with Tuitt and Ealy.  I also think Roby and Fuller will gain steam to NE if they're not able to retain Talib, or aquire another good CB.  I also wouldn't rule out Kelvin Benjamin as that jumbo, flex type receiving threat.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Hageman I like.

I think there are better players, at other positions that could be available in Rd 2 and would prefer a C later in the draft... maybe a Chris Watt or Bryan Stork on Day 3, etc.

Has anyone nailed down what Bulloch did to get kicked out of school...or was it just off the team...it had to be bad because Great Blue Northern has him with a notation for "off field concerns"?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

Thinking more about it, I would like Nix if he's there at 29 but i doubt it so my draft would go:

1. DL Ra'shede Hageman

He scares me a bit but he also amazes me. He has all the physical tools and talent but doesn't always show it. If he can actual put it together, I think he can be something special or he'll be a bust. I don't know if there's a middle ground.

2. TE Troy Niklas

My number 1 choice at TE. He is a beast and easily my favorite of the draft. The best thing is he's versatile, he can be an elite blocker or a threat as receiver. It'll throw teams off if him and Gronk are ever on the same field.

3. LB Telvin Smith

The only other player that could possibly beat Niklas as my favorite is Smith. He may be light (218 lbs) but the guy is fearless and always around the ball. Not injury prone at all and has coverage skills that are important in today's NFL. He can play the hybrid LB/S BB has always coveted. IMO I think he can end up being a steal at this point of the 3rd round.

4. QB AJ Mccarron

TB is only getting older but who is a better protege to bring in than Mccarron? Loved his comments about the Pats during the combine so I had to pick him up here.

*5. RB Andre Williams*

Yes we don't have a pick in the 5th but I'm sure BB can pick one up if he wanted to. If he does, i'd go with Williams. Yes Andre Williams. I have a feeling that he will slip to the 5th seeing as he has some injury concerns and also 1 year of production. Plus he isn't a proven receiving back by any means. It's about time the Pats bring a BC Eagle back home and is really any worse than Bolden?

6. C Ted Larsen

OL is def a need but i'm confident that Kline can step up at OG so that really only leaves a future replacement at C. Larsen is a big man that won't get tossed like Wendell or our other undersized centers do. He doesn't need to step in right away which is the good thing. Hopefully the Pats can develop OL without Scar there.

6. TE Colt Lyerla

OK ok not a popular pick with some people here but you guys can't deny that he has talent. He is explosive and has fantastic athleticism. He didn't run alot of routes at Oregon and isn't a polished route runner but that can be fixed at the next level. He does have his weaknesses (15 reps at the bench press, plus his off field issues) but I honestly don't think it outweighs his positives. He is a bargain this late and we all know BB is the ultimate bargain hunter.

7. LB Max Bullough

Lastly we got Bullough. He was a productive member of the Michigan St defense that was all over the field. He was suspended for the biggest game of his college career but he's just another bargain for BB to swoop up with. I like the way he plays and would love to see him in a Pats uniform.

WRs and a Safety were missing from this draft but I took that into account. I'm actually confident in Dobson and Boyce to be productive. I also thought TJ Moe would've made the team last year if he didn't tear his achilles. Don't forget about Mark Harrison as well. With both a year in the system, I think they can actually compete for roster spots.

Now when it comes down to S, I think Harmon is ready for a bigger role and that BB will bring in someone through FA (TJ Ward hopefully). Lastly is DL, the least of my concerns. I think a group of Vince, Kelly, Jones, Nink, Siliga, Armstead, Buchanan, Jones, Vellano, and now Hageman is more than capable to be a pretty good line.

Overall I would be estatic with this draft. The only part i would like to see is for Logan Thomas to be picked up. He throws a nice ball and has all exceptional physical tools but is very inconsistent. I think learning behind TB and having NFL coaching can bring out the best in him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

^  very good draft.  I would be extremely happy with it. I think Smith in the 3rd is the key pick. He has such versatilty and would help in the nickel or dime packages.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

Hageman I like.

Has anyone nailed down what Bulloch did to get kicked out of school...or was it just off the team...it had to be bad because Great Blue Northern has him with a notation for "off field concerns"?

He was suspended for the Rose Bowl... I've heard everything from pain killer problems to him taking a dump off a balcony.... but nothing has ever been confirmed.

Sections
Shortcuts