***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

Lambert size. Speed I like it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Any thoughts on Ed Reynolds' kid of the same name. I remember Reynolds was a pretty good player back in the day, tall and rangy LB. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Like MBs draft that nets us Telvin Smith, Troy Niklas and Hageman. I'd take that and maybe add McCarron.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Telvin is the prob the most intriguing prospect in this class, IMO.  A potential new age defender due to his size (6-3 218), speed (4.52), physicality and experience down in the box (plays ILB for FSU) athleticism and range.

[/QUOTE]After the Ohio St. pro day I'm wondering if Shazier isn't moving back up into the the first round, he ran an extremely fast 40 4.39 while his fellow Buckeye Hyde popped a nice 4.38 track stars!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Any thoughts on Ed Reynolds' kid of the same name. I remember Reynolds was a pretty good player back in the day, tall and rangy LB. 

He has good size. I thought he was one of the better safeties at the combine. Better cover safety than in box.  Needs to improve run defense and tackling. Could be used against TEs effectively. Sometime over agressive. IMO, has better hands than DMC. 4.57 40, 15reps in the bench press. Didn't do other drills. Will probably be a 3rd round selection, could move up with better pro day.

2014 NFL Draft: Ed Reynolds Scouting Report By  Blake Meek on February 04, 2014 2014 NFL Draft: Ed Reynolds Scouting Report

College: Stanford

Height: 6’2”

Weight: 206

Year Tackles Interceptions Passes Defenced2010 6 0 0 2012 47 6 5 2013 86 1 4

Positives

Centerfielding Ability: Reynolds has shown the ability to read the quarterbacks eyes and use his athleticism to cover a ton of ground and get into passing lanes. He has a quick first step and takes great angles, getting to where he wants to be extremely quick. He reads the quarterbacks eyes as well as anyone and will jump a route right when the quarterback starts his throwing motion. Has shown good hands to pick the ball off when he gets his hands on it and his three touchdown returns show he knows what to do with the ball when he gets his hands on it.

Coverage: As good of a centerfielder as he is, Reynolds has also shown the ability to cover athletic tight ends out of the slot in man coverage. He has helped hold one of the best tight ends in college football, Austin Seferian-Jenkins, to six catches for 62 yards in his two games against him. On top of being able to cover athletic tight ends in the slot, he also is very good at providing help over the top.

Negatives

Over-Aggressive: Reynolds can be over-aggressive at times and be caught out of position by shifty running backs. He at times tries to go for the big hit on the ball carrier and misses the sure tackle because of it. Johnathan Franklin lit the Stanford defense up in 2012 and a big part of that was on Reynolds for missing tackles. He also has had a tendency to draw penalties for leading with his helmet. He needs to worry less about laying the big hit and make the sure tackle which will lead to less big plays given up and less penalties gotten.

NFL Comparison

Harrison Smith: When I watch Reynolds, I see a lot of the same things I saw in Smith when I watched him at Notre Dame. Both were able to read the quarterbacks eyes well and react. They are about the same size and both had one big year where they intercepted a lot of passes. Smith went into Minnesota and played very well both as a rookie and this past year. I expect Reynolds to be able to step in right away and play well too.

Draft Outlook

Reynolds is one of the top two or three free safeties in the draft and looks to be a second or early third round pick. When you watch him on tape, it’s obvious he has the centerfielder skills, but is also a little bit of a liability to give up big plays in the run game. However, he is intelligent and has the tools to be one of the best centerfielders in the NFL.

Best Fit

Baltimore Ravens: Ozzie Newsom has come out and said that he wants to get a free safety to play opposite Matt Elam in Baltimore. Reynolds is a guy who should be around when the Ravens go on the clock in the second round and can give them exactly what they want. A free safety who can play centerfield and allow Elam to be in the box more. Reynolds can cover tight ends in the slot as well as give help over the top. He is the exact type of player the Ravens need.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Like MBs draft that nets us Telvin Smith, Troy Niklas and Hageman. I'd take that and maybe add McCarron.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Telvin is the prob the most intriguing prospect in this class, IMO.  A potential new age defender due to his size (6-3 218), speed (4.52), physicality and experience down in the box (plays ILB for FSU) athleticism and range.

[/QUOTE]After the Ohio St. pro day I'm wondering if Shazier isn't moving back up into the the first round, he ran an extremely fast 40 4.39 while his fellow Buckeye Hyde popped a nice 4.38 track stars!!

[/QUOTE]

I'm always skeptical of pro-day 40 times... not sure how Hyde can go from a 4.66 at the combine to a 4.38 at his pro-day... either way, he moves well for a big back, but not 4.38 well.

I think Shazier has always been a Rd 1/fringe Rd 1 talent... athletic, rangy, playmaker that can cover.  Further proves the crazy depth/talent in this class though that he's not a Rd 1 lock.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

NIU S Jimmie Ward is a good football player.  He's not the big, physical enforcer that most (including me) want to see, but has a very good all around game.  With BB generally liking to roll out interchangeable S, Ward reminds me a a lot of DMC in both size (5-11 193), instincts and his ability vs. the run.  He's not an assassin, but is very good downhill player and secure tackler. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Opinion question for the group: should NE draft a safety or fast cover LB, what type?   Is it a OLB convert like T.Smith or even Shazier, a smaller safety like Jimmie Ward; maybe someone like Ed Reynolds that keeps everything in front of him?  Would a fast cover LB do the trick using the safeties NE has in-house?

I can't decide if cover LB or S is more important. I look at it from the NT-MLB-SS- FS.  Imagine that line going from the NT going back to the FS and those aeas that need to be defensed.  I keep leaning towards a cover LB to defense those TEs running down the seams that gave trouble to NE last year.  (Just for this arguement let us assume we have fixed the DL)

Opinions?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

What do you guys think of Adrian Hubbard (4th round) and Collins paired up in nickel? I know that means Mayo would have to come off the field.  

and have no idea what to make of Telvin Smith, has speed and size to play SS but doesn't want to move from ILB.  Not sure what team will allow him that opportunity but his size (6'3" 220lbs, 4.5 40 speed) screams SS

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm always skeptical of pro-day 40 times... not sure how Hyde can go from a 4.66 at the combine to a 4.38 at his pro-day... either way, he moves well for a big back, but not 4.38 well.

I think Shazier has always been a Rd 1/fringe Rd 1 talent... athletic, rangy, playmaker that can cover.  Further proves the crazy depth/talent in this class though that he's not a Rd 1 lock.

[/QUOTE]I'm not sure the timers at the Combine were accurate this year, according to NFL.com watch Colt Lyerla ran a 4.47 at the combine but the combine guy had him at 4.66 big difference!!! He was a 4.3 guy coming out of high school. I'm just saying it's possible the the guy running the clock at Indy was to fast on his start button. So do I think Hyde is a 4.3 guy ? Nope but I'll bet he's close to it. 4.42 or something in that range.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]I'm not sure the timers at the Combine were accurate this year, according to NFL.com watch Colt Lyerla ran a 4.47 at the combine but the combine guy had him at 4.66 big difference!!! He was a 4.3 guy coming out of high school. I'm just saying it's possible the the guy running the clock at Indy was to fast on his start button. So do I think Hyde is a 4.3 guy ? Nope but I'll bet he's close to it. 4.42 or something in that range.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there's always a delta between the unofficial and official times at the combine, and the end result is usually a slower time... then pro-days are always faster.  I also agree that there could be variances, depending on who's doig the timeing, but that'd be a huge variance.  I put even less stock into a HS 40 time... those things are never accurate... I follow HS recruiting (for ND) very closely and it seems every other skill kid claims a 4.3 or low 4.4, but it's just not true.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Hyde... I don't see a 4.42 back on tape... mid/high 4.5's (which would be very good) I can buy, but that's prob it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Opinion question for the group: should NE draft a safety or fast cover LB, what type?   Is it a OLB convert like T.Smith or even Shazier, a smaller safety like Jimmie Ward; maybe someone like Ed Reynolds that keeps everything in front of him?  Would a fast cover LB do the trick using the safeties NE has in-house?

I can't decide if cover LB or S is more important. I look at it from the NT-MLB-SS- FS.  Imagine that line going from the NT going back to the FS and those aeas that need to be defensed.  I keep leaning towards a cover LB to defense those TEs running down the seams that gave trouble to NE last year.  (Just for this arguement let us assume we have fixed the DL)

Opinions?

[/QUOTE]

Good question... personally, I want to see an enforcer on the back end of the D, but adding a solid defender that improves the overall defense is the ultimate goal.  I prefer Ward to Reynolds, just think he's a better player and while Ward isn't big... he plays physical and has even shown the ability to line someone up, but leading with a shoulder vs. the crown of his helmet... plays smart for the most part.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What do you guys think of Adrian Hubbard (4th round) and Collins paired up in nickel? I know that means Mayo would have to come off the field.  

and have no idea what to make of Telvin Smith, has speed and size to play SS but doesn't want to move from ILB.  Not sure what team will allow him that opportunity but his size (6'3" 220lbs, 4.5 40 speed) screams SS

[/QUOTE]

Hubbard is an interesting prospect with the size/lenght/versatilty/pedigree that's sure to interest BB/NC.  He's flashed some PR potential, but is still a bit raw in that capacity, though he's a solid run defender and can/will set the edge.  Solid upside play in the middle rounds, IMO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there's always a delta between the unofficial and official times at the combine, and the end result is usually a slower time... then pro-days are always faster.  I also agree that there could be variances, depending on who's doig the timeing, but that'd be a huge variance.  I put even less stock into a HS 40 time... those things are never accurate... I follow HS recruiting (for ND) very closely and it seems every other skill kid claims a 4.3 or low 4.4, but it's just not true.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Hyde... I don't see a 4.42 back on tape... mid/high 4.5's (which would be very good) I can buy, but that's prob it.

[/QUOTE] Who knows who's telling the truth the object changes by location! At the combine there's always the fact that the Colts own the building all they have to do is fidget the times a bit and different GM's will change their boards sure would help the Colts get an advantage. I'm just sayin this is no different than cooperate sabotage. I tend to give the pro day times more credence as long as they run them indoors, not seeing a Hyde as a 4.4 guy on tape wouldn't surprise he's a big back! I'm sure he doesn't look near as fast as a scat back...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hubbard is an interesting prospect with the size/lenght/versatilty/pedigree that's sure to interest BB/NC.  He's flashed some PR potential, but is still a bit raw in that capacity, though he's a solid run defender and can/will set the edge.  Solid upside play in the middle rounds, IMO.

[/QUOTE]

I hope they either take Van Noy or Hubbard.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:
    [QUOTE]

trey millard will be a patriot

[/QUOTE]

torn ACL in October, if he is probably a red shirt year specially since they are carrying Develin if they do draft him. 

There's lots to like about Millard, can line up all over not just as FB but unless the name is adrian peterson I don't know of ACL come back in 10 months.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

I'm starting to think Talib is gone, so now I can see the patriots drafting a big psychical corner early on.. What are people's thoughts on some big corners in either round 1 or 2. Thank you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

First CB that turns his head, when the ball is thrown outside the numbers forget him. CB's should be trying to force the reciever into the middle of the field, be physical with him, and be all over the deep out, where the sideline helps you. Open field tackling and run support is big. Techique is more important than speed and size in this position. These Big CB's for Seattle have good techinique, and size. But they get great help from their Safeties.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:
    [QUOTE]

trey millard will be a patriot

[/QUOTE]

I like him, along with Trey Burton as a late day 3 option as that versatile TE/HB/FB type that can play multiple roles.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm starting to think Talib is gone, so now I can see the patriots drafting a big psychical corner early on.. What are people's thoughts on some big corners in either round 1 or 2. Thank you.

[/QUOTE]

Kyle Fuller prob fits most closely to what you're mentioning... good height and length, but a bit lean (6-0 190) and not overly strong in the upper body (12 reps @ 225), physical kid though that can cover and tackle.

Bradley Roby is 5-11 194 and is tough and aggressive, but not "big".

As for the bigger Day 2 CB's (Jean-Baptiste, McGill and Desir), they really wouldn't be classified as physical and don't really play to their size in that capacity.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Who knows who's telling the truth the object changes by location! At the combine there's always the fact that the Colts own the building all they have to do is fidget the times a bit and different GM's will change their boards sure would help the Colts get an advantage. I'm just sayin this is no different than cooperate sabotage. I tend to give the pro day times more credence as long as they run them indoors, not seeing a Hyde as a 4.4 guy on tape wouldn't surprise he's a big back! I'm sure he doesn't look near as fast as a scat back...

[/QUOTE]

I'm not ready to accuse another organization of falsifying info at the combine, especially when we can watch what's going on, live. 

I tend to trust the combine more, because it uses the same timing system for all players..  vs. who knows what at the pro-days.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

A bit of mock as a prisoner of the moment, no #1 CB.  Been looking at comp picks and I think I can make the statement there's at least 2 6th rounders.  We all know the usual suspects but will make an argument for the less knowns/not liked.

1st CB Kyle Fuller

2nd DT DeQuan Jones

3rd TE C.J. Fiedorowicz

4th OG Jon Halapio

6th LB Max Bullough

6th DE Aaron Lynch - Guy has all the tools, 6'5" 250lbs when motivated (that's the key) can be a disruptive guy off the edge.  Problem is he hasn't played to his potential, lack of motivation.  I think in NE's locker room he would find that motivation.  Could be a steal if he turns it on.

6th Comp QB Tom Savage named Tom picked in the 6th round and his bio reads like someone else named Tom lol  I had to do it but he can develop into a starting NFL QB.

6th Comp S Brock Vereen, Shane's brother y not

7th TE/Hback/FB Gator Hoskins  Name alone lol  but undersized TE 6'2" 244lbs, if he was 6'4" 260 he would be a 2nd rnd pick.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

A bit of mock as a prisoner of the moment, no #1 CB.  Been looking at comp picks and I think I can make the statement there's at least 2 6th rounders.  We all know the usual suspects but will make an argument for the less knowns/not liked.

1st CB Kyle Fuller

2nd DT DeQuan Jones

3rd TE C.J. Fiedorowicz

4th OG Jon Halapio

6th LB Max Bullough

6th DE Aaron Lynch - Guy has all the tools, 6'5" 250lbs when motivated (that's the key) can be a disruptive guy off the edge.  Problem is he hasn't played to his potential, lack of motivation.  I think in NE's locker room he would find that motivation.  Could be a steal if he turns it on.

6th Comp QB Tom Savage named Tom picked in the 6th round and his bio reads like someone else named Tom lol  I had to do it but he can develop into a starting NFL QB.

7th TE/Hback/FB Gator Hoskins  Name alone lol  but undersized TE 6'2" 244lbs, if he was 6'4" 260 he would be a 2nd rnd pick.

[/QUOTE]

I think it's a solid haul overall... prefer a Chris Watt or John Urschel on the interior, but overall a good class.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

1st CB Kyle Fuller

2nd DT DeQuan Jones

3rd TE C.J. Fiedorowicz

4th OG Jon Halapio

6th LB Max Bullough

[/QUOTE]

I think it's a solid haul overall... prefer a Chris Watt or John Urschel on the interior, but overall a good class.

[/QUOTE]

It was a toss betewen Hala ur two and anthony steen.  If I thought Zack Martin would be available at 29 he would had been the pick.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

1st CB Kyle Fuller

2nd DT DeQuan Jones

3rd TE C.J. Fiedorowicz

4th OG Jon Halapio

6th LB Max Bullough

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It was a toss betewen Hala ur two and anthony steen.  If I thought Zack Martin would be available at 29 he would had been the pick.  

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he's as solid and safe a player as there is in this class.  He simply shut down whoever was across from him.