***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

With signing of the 2 CBs and Jules, loss of Spikes the position holes that may be addresed via the draft IMO are -  TE, WR (tall - Dobson surgery...), ILB, S (banger), RB (Blount gone). These are the pool of guys I like in the first 4 rounds .... I'll take any 4 of them ... ANY COMMENTS????

TE - Troy Niklas (2R) or Jace Amaro (1R)

WR - Jordan Matthews (1R) or  Jared Abbrederis (3R)

LB - Shayne Skov (2R)

RB - Tyler Gaffney (4R)

S - Deone Bucannon (2R)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

In response to CanadianPat's comment:

With signing of the 2 CBs and Jules, loss of Spikes the position holes that may be addresed via the draft IMO are -  TE, WR (tall - Dobson surgery...), ILB, S (banger), RB (Blount gone). These are the pool of guys I like in the first 4 rounds .... I'll take any 4 of them ... ANY COMMENTS????

LB - Shayne Skov (2R)

RB - Tyler Gaffney (4R)

S - Deone Bucannon (2R)

Thought about this some more from a BB Value perspective ... Trade out of R1 for a mid 2nd and 3rd .... so 2 - R2s .... 2 - R3s and 1 - R4

2 Deone Bucannon (S)

2 Troy Niklas (TE)

3 Shayne Skov (ILB)

3 Jared Abbrederis (WR)

4 Tyler Gaffney (RB)

This would be fill the most holes ... although I love Jordan Matthews from Vandy ...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

LB - Shayne Skov (2R)

RB - Tyler Gaffney (4R)

S - Deone Bucannon (2R)

Thought about this some more from a BB Value perspective ... Trade out of R1 for a mid 2nd and 3rd .... so 2 - R2s .... 2 - R3s and 1 - R4

2 Deone Bucannon (S)

2 Troy Niklas (TE)

3 Shayne Skov (ILB)

3 Jared Abbrederis (WR)

4 Tyler Gaffney (RB)

This would be fill the most holes ... although I love Jordan Matthews from Vandy ...

[/QUOTE]

No DTs or DEs??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

LB - Shayne Skov (2R)

RB - Tyler Gaffney (4R)

S - Deone Bucannon (2R)

2 Deone Bucannon (S)

2 Troy Niklas (TE)

3 Shayne Skov (ILB)

3 Jared Abbrederis (WR)

4 Tyler Gaffney (RB)

[/QUOTE]

No DTs or DEs??

[/QUOTE]

Nope ... DE via Free Agency .... and of course Armond Armstead ... LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

CPat,  I like your idea of trading out if there is not a true 1st rd starte, but I think even with VW back(maybe) we need a young DT.   Bucannon is underrated, great pick.  Niklas is an all around TE, but he is not on Gronk's level.  He his where I think we should pick him.  Skov is a gamer not sure if he has the speed, but as a thumper he is very good. Abbrederis and Gaffney are solid.  Not many have NE picking RB.  I like Matthews.  I think he will be a great profession and has all the makings to be a #1 receiver.

Where I don't agree is on DT, we need one.  Not sure if there is a DE in FA that would work out well.  I don't favor signing DE Allen from Minny.

Your draft would work for me if we picked up a DT in FA (Pat Sims), an edge rusher (Robert Ayers, on a short deal)

I would look at a OG and another DT in rounds 5-7.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

[QUOTE]

CPat,  I like your idea of trading out if there is not a true 1st rd starte, but I think even with VW back(maybe) we need a young DT.   Bucannon is underrated, great pick.  Niklas is an all around TE, but he is not on Gronk's level.  He his where I think we should pick him.  Skov is a gamer not sure if he has the speed, but as a thumper he is very good. Abbrederis and Gaffney are solid.  Not many have NE picking RB.  I like Matthews.  I think he will be a great profession and has all the makings to be a #1 receiver.

Where I don't agree is on DT, we need one.  Not sure if there is a DE in FA that would work out well.  I don't favor signing DE Allen from Minny.

Your draft would work for me if we picked up a DT in FA (Pat Sims), an edge rusher (Robert Ayers, on a short deal)

I would look at a OG and another DT in rounds 5-7.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for response ... good points.  I guess my thinking is we have lots of young DTs already: Chris Jones, Armstead, Silinga ... I am hoping these guys are better next yr + Tommy Kelly was VERY good prior to the injury ... So I am not too worried about DT.

DE .... for sure they need another/better pass rusher, but really, what are the chances of a 29th or 58th draft pick stepping in and being better than what we have? .. almost nil IMO.  I just don't see any easy answers at DE ... I would love big Jared Allen ... but the cap space must be precarious now?

At RB, Blount is over-rated and likely gone. Ridley goes in and out of the doghouse ... Vereen is injury prone and not physical .... Bolden is a solid special team back up ... so get Gaffney in R4 and sign him for rookie R4 money = cheap. He can catch and comes from a pro style offence at Stanford ... plus Stanford kids are more often than not smart kids ... we get lots of Stanford games on TV out West, and I am impressed by him and Skov ... Stanford pro day is the 20th, let's see if Skov can fully participate (40 time??)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The tall receiver is coming to New England tomorrow, Kenny Britt will be visiting the Razor. There is no way that BB doesn't take a DT or a DE in this draft. O-line will be addressed as well. Specifically Guard and Center. I also am envisioning a OLB who can chase a RB or TE, and yes I realize that Collins is capable of doing so, but another chase guy will be added especially since Fletcher is making the circuit trying to find a job.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

1.   DT

2.   TE

3a. DL

3b. QB (if Mallet traded)

4.   TE

5.   OL

6.   OL

7.   S  (where T Wilson whould have been picked)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

Signing LaFell & Edelman clearly indicates no intention to draft a WR ...

IMO that means TE, S, ILB, RB with first 4 picks ... pick up OL in later rounds or UDFA. Not sure about DE ... do they like Buchanan? Are there any potential mid-later round guys?

1. TE ... seems the writing is on the wall ... anyone of Amaro, Niklas or UW guy

2. S - Bucannon

3. LB - Skov

4. RB - Gaffney

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

IMO that means TE, S, ILB, RB with first 4 picks ... pick up OL in later rounds or UDFA. Not sure about DE ... do they like Buchanan? Are there any potential mid-later round guys?

1. TE ... seems the writing is on the wall ... anyone of Amaro, Niklas or UW guy

2. S - Bucannon

3. LB - Skov

4. RB - Gaffney

[/QUOTE]

I think we will still draft a WR in the 6th or 7th round.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

2. S - Bucannon

3. LB - Skov

4. RB - Gaffney

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey Wazzuwheatfarmer - what's your take on WSU's Bucannon? I am assuming you are in the Pullman area (given your handle)? What little I have seen, I like ...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

IMO the most important needs are

DT - Hageman / Ealy / Tuitt 

S - best available..Mabye Dion Bailey.

TE - CJ Fiedeorowicz

OT - Billy Turner 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I can't see BB excluding any top tier player regardless of position, they have positional needs but if player X is rated higher and is available, he'll be taken over the need guy! We all know what we perceive as weaknesses, the question is does BB see the same things as we do? We will see in May.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

The more and more I think about...BB is going to trade down no doubt. This draft is loaded.. We'll end up with 2 seconds..2 thirds... And if Mallet is traded we can even have another second or third. We we'll trade out of the first that's my prediction. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Marcus Martin, or Weston Richburg! Both centers.

Ebron, Amaro or Niklas would be awesome at TE.

If they walked away with 2 of those 5 in the first 2 rounds, I'd be beyond thrilled!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can't see BB excluding any top tier player regardless of position, they have positional needs but if player X is rated higher and is available, he'll be taken over the need guy! We all know what we perceive as weaknesses, the question is does BB see the same things as we do? We will see in May.

[/QUOTE]

I think this is a key point... get the best players first, then figure out where to plug them in.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

This is the historical question of need over BPA.  I think BPA trumps, but that BPA needs to be clearly a better player than the one that is a need position.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think this is a key point... get the best players first, then figure out where to plug them in.

[/QUOTE]

Looks like going into the draft the Pats because of FA signings will the flexibility to go after a specific guy in their range.  If they really like a dt and hes still there in mid 20s they do what they neef to

They dont need to draft 7 or 8 guys this year 4 or 5 guys that r studs probably based on moves is what their draft day game plan could b

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

2. S - Bucannon

3. LB - Skov

4. RB - Gaffney

[/QUOTE]

Hey Wazzuwheatfarmer - what's your take on WSU's Bucannon? I am assuming you are in the Pullman area (given your handle)? What little I have seen, I like ...

[/QUOTE]

I think Bucannon is very much an option in Rd 2.. he's exactly what they don't have at S (assume they're looking to keep Browner at CB)... a big, physical kid with range and bad intentions that can run.  WSU runs a lot of double high/cover 2, but he also plays down in the box and can play in both man/zone concepts... also plays on ST.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

2. S - Bucannon

3. LB - Skov

4. RB - Gaffney

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I could also see them drafting a WR in this class as well... maximize their options at the position, cash in on some value in a loaded class at the position.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:

[QUOTE]

Looks like going into the draft the Pats because of FA signings will the flexibility to go after a specific guy in their range.  If they really like a dt and hes still there in mid 20s they do what they neef to

They dont need to draft 7 or 8 guys this year 4 or 5 guys that r studs probably based on moves is what their draft day game plan could b

[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's the residual hops and barley in my brain, but I could very well see some semblence of 2012, with Kony Ealy being the prime target (similar to Chandler)... then maybe a DaQuan Jones or Telvin Smith or Deone Bucannon in Rd 2.  If Ealy is there at 29, I think he's a homerun pick and you save your 3rd rounder.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

This is the historical question of need over BPA.  I think BPA trumps, but that BPA needs to be clearly a better player than the one that is a need position.

[/QUOTE]

That's fair... if you're splitting hairs between the two players, you prob value the need player higher.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's the residual hops and barley in my brain, but I could very well see some semblence of 2012, with Kony Ealy being the prime target (similar to Chandler)... then maybe a DaQuan Jones or Telvin Smith or Deone Bucannon in Rd 2.  If Ealy is there at 29, I think he's a homerun pick and you save your 3rd rounder.

[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking, in 2013 they clearly were going after some guys Collins, Harmon, Ryan but they felt they could get them without making moves.  

Harmon was reported as a "reach" and Ryan borderline reach. 

I can see him going hard after someone in 1st round if they fall in mid 20s, then trade out of 2nd round and pick up a few players in 3rd and 4th.  If they get a premiere guy in the 1st I'm good with DTs, TE and WRs that are available in the 3rd and 4th. 

I still want to see Kevin Norwood drafted, too good on value where he'll get picked.  HE knocks Thompkins immediatly down the depth the depth chart.  His style of game and abilities are too perfect match to NE for him to go else where.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Nope ... DE via Free Agency .... and of course Armond Armstead ... LOL

[/QUOTE]

You might be putting too much faith in Armstead. He is afterall a guy who had to go to the CFL after going undrafted because of consistency and health concerns. Of which health concerns is what kept him off the field last year. Much rather go DT early in the draft.

Which FA DE's do you like right now?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking, in 2013 they clearly were going after some guys Collins, Harmon, Ryan but they felt they could get them without making moves.  

Harmon was reported as a "reach" and Ryan borderline reach. 

I can see him going hard after someone in 1st round if they fall in mid 20s, then trade out of 2nd round and pick up a few players in 3rd and 4th.  If they get a premiere guy in the 1st I'm good with DTs, TE and WRs that are available in the 3rd and 4th. 

I still want to see Kevin Norwood drafted, too good on value where he'll get picked.  HE knocks Thompkins immediatly down the depth the depth chart.  His style of game and abilities are too perfect match to NE for him to go else where.

[/QUOTE]

I like Norwood on Day 3... not a ton of upside, but a solid, reliable possession type target that could quickly get on the same page as TB.