1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to CanadianPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nope ... DE via Free Agency .... and of course Armond Armstead ... LOL

[/QUOTE]

You might be putting too much faith in Armstead. He is afterall a guy who had to go to the CFL after going undrafted because of consistency and health concerns. Of which health concerns is what kept him off the field last year. Much rather go DT early in the draft.

Which FA DE's do you like right now?

[/QUOTE]

I agree, just not a player that can be relied upon.  A lot of natural ability and upside, but useless if he can't get on the field.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Looks like going into the draft the Pats because of FA signings will the flexibility to go after a specific guy in their range.  If they really like a dt and hes still there in mid 20s they do what they neef to

They dont need to draft 7 or 8 guys this year 4 or 5 guys that r studs probably based on moves is what their draft day game plan could b

[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's the residual hops and barley in my brain, but I could very well see some semblence of 2012, with Kony Ealy being the prime target (similar to Chandler)... then maybe a DaQuan Jones or Telvin Smith or Deone Bucannon in Rd 2.  If Ealy is there at 29, I think he's a homerun pick and you save your 3rd rounder.

[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking, in 2013 they clearly were going after some guys Collins, Harmon, Ryan but they felt they could get them without making moves.  

Harmon was reported as a "reach" and Ryan borderline reach. 

I can see him going hard after someone in 1st round if they fall in mid 20s, then trade out of 2nd round and pick up a few players in 3rd and 4th.  If they get a premiere guy in the 1st I'm good with DTs, TE and WRs that are available in the 3rd and 4th. 

I still want to see Kevin Norwood drafted, too good on value where he'll get picked.  HE knocks Thompkins immediatly down the depth the depth chart.  His style of game and abilities are too perfect match to NE for him to go else where.

[/QUOTE]

I like Norwood on Day 3... not a ton of upside, but a solid, reliable possession type target that could quickly get on the same page as TB.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know if he makes it to day 3, after the week of the SB and running as well as he did at the combine, the drills and game tape this guy as you said nothing flashy but a 1st down machine with the ability to get you big plays when needed.  His hands are as good or better than anyone in the draft.

This is the type guy Brady loves to have IMO, knows when it's 3rd and 6 or 7 and he needs his WR to make the catch this is the type WR who he can look towards aside from Edelman.  His football IQ is also according to all reports very high as well has his work ethic.  

LOL no I'm not that high on the kid. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Mke Mayock has Nix as #3 ranked DT

Defensive tackle 
    1. Aaron Donald, Pittsburgh 
    2. Timmy Jernigan, Florida State 
    3. Louis Nix III, Notre Dame 
    4. Ra'Shede Hageman, Minnesota 
    5. Kelcy Quarles, South Carolina

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Could Mark Harrison be converted to TE?  6'3" 231lbs (on the lite side)?  Could he be that flex guy although when wide blocks CBs or Ss he does block well moving inside as a inline blocker is a whole different story but has enough power to take on LBs and help set the edge for RBs or WRs on screens.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'm waiting to see if Kenny Britt is signed, after signing Lafell you would think the bank was emptied. I see where the Broncos gave Sanders 15mil over 3 years and they signed him knowing the Chiefs had a deal agreed to verbally. It just shows how deceitful Elway really is, between him and Sanders agent Weinberg the dirt was flying. This signing is going to cost Weinberg his accredidation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Maybe BB would like these toys to play with..

1). Ealy de/lb. Or Jernigan DT/de

2)  Niklas TE or D Jones dt

3). Chistian Jones MLB  or  A McCarron QB

4) W Richburg C. Or J Bitonio G

6). D Dozier G. Or Ryan Groy G

6). R Bodine C.  Or Rajon Neal G

7) W Aikens DB. Trinity

we will find out 5/8- 5/10. Lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to fishers5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

7) W Aikens DB. Trinity

[/QUOTE] Your guess is as good as anyone's outside of BB's.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

With Fletcher & Spikes gone an ILB is needed in the draft .... I re-iterate Shayne Skov (Stanford) can likely be had in 3rd R ... but someone listed Christian Jones out of FSU ... I like him too, but is he available in R3??? 

Don't really want to use a R1 or R2 on an ILB ...

On Britt ... I can't see it happening, apparently the guy is visiting the entire NFL ... that smells of a bidding war ... tough to get into a bid war for a guy that is a bad azz ...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Kony Ealy....the more I watch the more I like.

Just watched the Cotton Bowl highlights and like his quickness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03f_pt8RaNY

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

7) W Aikens DB. Trinity

[/QUOTE]

fisher,

if no jared allen

1 ealy

2 niklas

3 both or mccaron

4,5,6,7 dotn know these guys but we need stud o lineman.

more of my thoughts on thread i started about pats best sb chance.                                                                                                                                                                                 hey.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Welcome back Brebru

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

7) W Aikens DB. Trinity

[/QUOTE]

fisher,

if no jared allen

1 ealy

2 niklas

3 both or mccaron

4,5,6,7 dotn know these guys but we need stud o lineman.

more of my thoughts on thread i started about pats best sb chance.                                                                                                                                                                                 hey.

[/QUOTE]

Welcome back, mang.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

MB after March Madness I'll start to concentrate on the Patriots draft. I'm only doing 1 mock so I hope I'm close this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

MB after March Madness I'll start to concentrate on the Patriots draft. I'm only doing 1 mock so I hope I'm close this year.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I did one back in November... have been working on a V2, but haven't posted it yet... have an idea of which way I'm leaning, but nothing set in stone.

As for Rd 1, I'm really down to (6) names, depending on who's available:

Pryor, Ealy, Nix, Tuitt, Hageman and Shazier.

If by chance, they look to target the offensive side of the ball, then you could toss in Benjamin and Su'a-Filo.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to CanadianPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With Fletcher & Spikes gone an ILB is needed in the draft .... I re-iterate Shayne Skov (Stanford) can likely be had in 3rd R ... but someone listed Christian Jones out of FSU ... I like him too, but is he available in R3??? 

Don't really want to use a R1 or R2 on an ILB ...

On Britt ... I can't see it happening, apparently the guy is visiting the entire NFL ... that smells of a bidding war ... tough to get into a bid war for a guy that is a bad azz ...

[/QUOTE]

Shayne Skov probably won't be available at our pick at the very end of the 3rd rd.

I don't feel we need Pryor, even if he slips to us, b/c his strengths are playing up at the line and that is what Browner will do. While Browner will be a CB in name, he'd do the same things Pryor would.

If Vince is gone then Nix is a great option in rd 1. If Vince is here or the team goes for a 1-2 year stopgap with a veteran like Kevin Williams, DT is less of an issue since Kelly and Armstead will be back. 

If Belichick does his trade down thing, and moves into the 38-50 range while picking up a 3rd rd pick in the 70-80 range I could see him getting both Stanford boys for our front 7. DE Trent Murphy and LB Skov.

I'd be happy with those two guys. Murphy is underrated and could be the next Jared Allen. With our own 2nd rd pick maybe Amaro or Sefarian-Jenkins slips, or maybe reach for a guy like Niklas. I like C Weston Richberg here, a very solid player who could be groomed behind Connolly for a year and then be the long-term center after that. Travis Swanson could also slip to here. 

By the end of the 3rd rd the team should be looking at whichever player they haven't scooped up yet at the interior line/TE positions. 4th rd they can go best available.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

D.J. Williams, will he be able to fill in AH role? 

went to look at some scouting stuff when he came out found this SI

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2011/players/73487.html

and cbs

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1273405

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

If Michael Sam slips from a 4th/5th rd projection to the 6th, where we own two picks, do you think Bill picks him up with Kraft pushing hard for the move?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Personnally, I think we have spent enough money on the back end of our defense - I would be all in for DL x 2, TE, and OL. 

I would also see some flexibility if someone dropped in their lap -

What I sincerely hope we don't do is reach for an unknown in any round - I HATE it when BB drafts someone (Duron Harmon) at a place where we could have had someone else and still got this player if he feels they are a good fit. 

If we could get Ealy in the first, then add McCullers in the 4th, I would be happy. Need some beef in the middle. Maybe McCullers could be Ted Washington reincarnated. 

With all the WR and QB's in the draft, wonder if a great OL will drop to us in the 2nd or 3rd...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to mcboyd22's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Personnally, I think we have spent enough money on the back end of our defense - I would be all in for DL x 2, TE, and OL. 

I would also see some flexibility if someone dropped in their lap -

What I sincerely hope we don't do is reach for an unknown in any round - I HATE it when BB drafts someone (Duron Harmon) at a place where we could have had someone else and still got this player if he feels they are a good fit. 

If we could get Ealy in the first, then add McCullers in the 4th, I would be happy. Need some beef in the middle. Maybe McCullers could be Ted Washington reincarnated. 

With all the WR and QB's in the draft, wonder if a great OL will drop to us in the 2nd or 3rd...

[/QUOTE]

If you would had written Tavon Wilson I would had agreed, Harmon no.  Kid is the real thing.  There's a really good article out there comparing Harmon to other more known safeties drafted and Harmon stacks up well against them and in some case more production.  He's a keeper.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The Patriots need to solve the Wilfork situation soon so they have $ for free agency and now what positions they need to hit in the draft.

If they solve it through an extension Vince is here and team saves 4-5 million. If they solve it through cutting him he is gone and they save 7.5 million.

Either way, use the savings to keep Blount.

If Wilfork stays, the team should bring in a veteran pass rusher to compete with Carter like Shaun Phillips.

If Wilfork is gone, I think the team needs to then decide if it will use the 1st rd pick on Nix or sign a veteran like Kevin Williams.

If they go with Nix or the draft to add a beefy DT, that will cost only 1.3m or so and I think they should sign Owen Daniels at TE so they don't have to worry about drafting one.

If they sign Kevin Williams and he costs 2.5-4m on the cap they need to find their future #2 TE in the draft.

To sum it up:

Rd 1 - Nix or Amaro

Rd 2 - Swanson or Richburg

Rd 3 - Skov (may have to trade up) or another cover LB'er like Yawin Smallwood

Rd 4 - SS, OG, DT depth. Wouldn't rule out a QB if McCarron or Boyd falls 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:
    [QUOTE]

and cbs

[/QUOTE]

I think he'll get a shot there... whether or not he'll be able to fill the role is a bigger question... (9) receptions in (3) years does't really excite me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Michael Sam slips from a 4th/5th rd projection to the 6th, where we own two picks, do you think Bill picks him up with Kraft pushing hard for the move?

[/QUOTE]

I think he would interest them as a situational pass rusher, yeah.  I also think he could expand their brand appeal from Kraft's perspective, as you mentioned.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

and cbs

[/QUOTE]

I just don't see it. Williams has been between 3 teams in 3 years and none of them has he flashed the ability to be an effective pass catcher. He was also a below average blocker. I think it was more of a case of no available TE's through the year and he was the best option. In all honesty given his blocking ability I'd rather try out Harrison in that role than Williams but I don't think that will end up being the case as I think they go TE early and maybe even double dip.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

and cbs

[/QUOTE]

I think he'll get a shot there... whether or not he'll be able to fill the role is a bigger question... (9) receptions in (3) years does't really excite me.

[/QUOTE]

I hear you, just looking at measurables he is very similar to AH.

Almost identical height weight speed, big difference is 3cone times AH 6.83 DJ 7.29.  Another thing different is DJ from what I've read, is a very character kid with good footbal IQ.  He was productive in college in the SEC so we'll see.  

Think NE needs a story like this one to get pass AH.  Hope he makes it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

and cbs

[/QUOTE]

I just don't see it. Williams has been between 3 teams in 3 years and none of them has he flashed the ability to be an effective pass catcher. He was also a below average blocker. I think it was more of a case of no available TE's through the year and he was the best option. In all honesty given his blocking ability I'd rather try out Harrison in that role than Williams but I don't think that will end up being the case as I think they go TE early and maybe even double dip.

[/QUOTE]

I asked yesterday (by the way no one answered!) lol  If Harrison could be in that type of TE/HBack role because of the blocking.  If there's one thing he is above average in is blocking and has good strength for a WR.  17 reps at combine, he has some strength and scouting reports is that his footwork is solid while blocking but that's usually against smaller guys.  

I'm just always looking for the underdog, D.J. might be that and then some. lol  

Sections
Shortcuts