***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ok so now that some of the smoke has cleared from the FA process I'm updating my mock. This time I'm also including trades and projected comp picks (I think I heard it now looks like we will get a 6th and that's it)

So for the trade I'm thinking Hou is mighty itchy with no QB and O'Brien likes Mallett so I'm going to go ahead and trade Mallett for their 3rd. Pretty straight up and fair trade for both sides.

ok to the draft:

1st - RaShede Hageman DT - It's between Tuitt and Hageman for me. I doubt Ealy will be there and I can't see BB using a 1st on another LB to put into a rotation so I'm going with the high ceiling of Watt player. He has everything BB praises Watt for he just need to get consistency.

Alt - Irish Chocolate Nix DT - if I thought he'd be here he'd be the pick but I'm not thinking he makes it here. However, just the chance he does makes me want to toss him in this slot.

2nd - CJ Fiedorowicz TE - He has all the intagiables BB loves, best 3 cone and 20 shuttle of the TE's, strong, huge hands, can block, and has soft hands. Not to mention Herns brother was his coach and there is no other reason BB would keep in contact with him unless there was a player they liked they could use him for

Alt - Niklas TE -For the 2nd pick in a row an Irish is the alt in Niklas. Very similar player to Gronk with a slightly lower ceiling. Better than a poor mans but not up to Gronk's level 

Hou's 3rd - Donte Moncreif WR - He's been labeled the next Thomas or Gordon and BB has already shown interest in the kid. He's big and fast which is a rare combination and we know the Pats are still looking to add to the WR core

Alt - Trent Murphy DE/OLB - He's a flex 4th LB/3rd DE that can play the rusher role but can spell people at either level without getting lost in the run game. Talk about a varsitile player BB likes with some good size to match.

3rd McCarron QB - There's your Mallett replacement

Alt - Antone Exum S - a hidden gem with talent a full round higher than in the back of the 3rd. Could be a very good pickup for the Pats and rotate with Harmon at the SS spot

4th - Dakota Dozier G - The hot name in DII OL right now and had an impressive east-west shrine has a chance to pull a Vollmer and be taken as a who that type of player. Played T in college but should fit at home as the RG. If they move Cannon to starting RG he takes Cannons place as the Swing G/T

Alt - Aaron Murray QB - If they don't get McCarron

6th - James Morris LB/SS - I'm thinking they can grab Morris and convert him to SS as well as using him as a 4th LB at times.

Alt - Aaron Lynch DE - 3rd sub rusher

comp 6th - Henry Joseph RB - Super productive RB in college similar in size and speed to Sproles is a little wrecking ball that has a couple extra gears when he sees the pocket

Alt - Joe Don Duncan TE - Oh yeah the steal of the draft but most likely will disappear in the 5th. I wish we had a 5th round pick for this guy

7th - Zach Fulton G - 3 year starting RG for Tenn that BB appears impressed with their line

Alt - Alex Bullard G/C - Tenn's LG who might be able to move to C eventually

[/QUOTE]

While there might be a name I would add here or there I like most everyone you named and where you ahve them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Am I the only one not getting too excited about RaShede Hageman? From what I've seen this guy is going to get pushed around against the run, and I also wonder if his strength (pass rushing) would be negated against a good guard in the NFL.

I honestly don't think this guy would be anything but a late second - mid third selection if the defensive tackle position was better. I guess you could consider him a poor man's Daryl Gardner, but Gardner was more powerful. I even think the kid from the Seminoles get's tossed around a little too much in the running game and he's suppossed to be a top 20 pick. Is this the worst DT draft in the last 5 years? Or is it just me?

[/QUOTE]

That's the consensus on Hageman, dominant on one play, invisible on the next... he flashes elite power, ability and upside, but also can be easily at times.  I've likened him in the past to a defensive version of Nate Solder... elite size and length, still raw in some areas (Hageman hasn't been a DL for that long) and not yet a finished product. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Am I the only one not getting too excited about RaShede Hageman? From what I've seen this guy is going to get pushed around against the run, and I also wonder if his strength (pass rushing) would be negated against a good guard in the NFL.

I honestly don't think this guy would be anything but a late second - mid third selection if the defensive tackle position was better. I guess you could consider him a poor man's Daryl Gardner, but Gardner was more powerful. I even think the kid from the Seminoles get's tossed around a little too much in the running game and he's suppossed to be a top 20 pick. Is this the worst DT draft in the last 5 years? Or is it just me?

[/QUOTE]

That's the consensus on Hageman, dominant on one play, invisible on the next... he flashes elite power, ability and upside, but also can be easily at times.  I've likened him in the past to a defensive version of Nate Solder... elite size and length, still raw in some areas (Hageman hasn't been a DL for that long) and not yet a finished product. 

[/QUOTE]

Do you consider him a first round pick? A lot of these draft publications have him going lower - they usually send these thing to print before numbers from private workouts and combine stuff is released - which I kind of like because those workout numbers sometimes change things when they really shouldn't be changed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Do you consider him a first round pick? A lot of these draft publications have him going lower - they usually send these thing to print before numbers from private workouts and combine stuff is released - which I kind of like because those workout numbers sometimes change things when they really shouldn't be changed.

[/QUOTE]

I think he's a 1st rounder based on talent and upside, yeah... there are other players that I prefer in Rd 1, but I can understand if a team wants to take him within the Top 32.

Most publications have had him in Rd 1 for quite a while, from what I've seen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

not for the pats. nor 2nd. hes ok as some have pinted out maybe he improves with good coaching. but top need i have is pass rusher. 2nd a top te

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

not for the pats. nor 2nd. hes ok as some have pinted out maybe he improves with good coaching. but top need i have is pass rusher. 2nd a top te

[/QUOTE]

exactly, thats the top need you have. others say TE is top.

many have been calling for more pass rsh for years and BB hasnt done anything about it.

I would love to see Ealy fall to us but who knows if bb would even take him...

We need DE, DT, OG, C, SS and another LB too.

BB will surprise us yet again is my guess. lol 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

many have been calling for more pass rsh for years and BB hasnt done anything about it.

[/QUOTE]

I wish I liked this TE class more... there's some decent prospects that should be available, but none that I'm really enamored with.  Maybe a Niklas or Amaro (gulp) ASJ at some point in Rd 2, or a CJ in Rd 3 ... but I'd almost rather seem them add another weapon at WR in that range, maybe Moncrief or Latimer or Ellington or Abbrederis, etc., and target an Arthur Lynch in Rd 4 or 5.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

I wish I liked this TE class more... there's some decent prospects that should be available, but none that I'm really enamored with.  Maybe a Niklas or Amaro (gulp) ASJ at some point in Rd 2, or a CJ in Rd 3 ... but I'd almost rather seem them add another weapon at WR in that range, maybe Moncrief or Latimer or Ellington or Abbrederis, etc., and target an Arthur Lynch in Rd 4 or 5.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I dont see TE as a huge need either. I want DL/OL before TE and if we took Moncrief before any TE i wouldnt complain for a second. huge potential

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And if you're looking for edge rusher that no one is really talking about... check out GT's Jeremiah Attaochu... I've watched almost every minute of his 2013 tape and he's since flown way up my board... at this point, my Rd 1 wishlist would be Pryor (not happening), Ealy then Attaochu... some publications have him higher than others, but wow can this kid bring it off the edge and has a ton of upside.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

hey joe,

"DE, DT, OG, C, SS " and te.

we can get a top te in 2nd round (niklas, fiedorowicz). without a pass rush our defense is not good enough to beat broncos, seattle, sf, new.orleans. 2 pass rushers or more and 2 tough press man corners (along with good other parts) will be enough to win with defense.

then we need a little on offense. primarily we have to have the good te opposite gronk and in case gronk goes down and who can block well as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i can see that perspecrtive as well (and it cold be good). but picture gronk going down, with this offense woldnt you rather have niklas or  fiedorowicz

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And if you're looking for edge rusher that no one is really talking about... check out GT's Jeremiah Attaochu... I've watched almost every minute of his 2013 tape and he's since flown way up my board... at this point, my Rd 1 wishlist would be Pryor (not happening), Ealy then Attaochu... some publications have him higher than others, but wow can this kid bring it off the edge and has a ton of upside.

[/QUOTE]

yes id take a stud pass rusher at de or olb.  if ealy is one and this guy is that good, make it so!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't have any idea what he'll be like in the pros. In college I would describe him differently... spectacularly dominant on one play, on the bench on the next three, back on the field but invisible on the next two.

And yes, he was a TE until a few years ago. So maybe he can still learn and become a really good DT. On this one, BB has to decide if Hageman can be coached up. In previous years, the word "project" was thrown on similar players.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

hey joe,

we can get a top te in 2nd round (niklas, fiedorowicz). without a pass rush our defense is not good enough to beat broncos, seattle, sf, new.orleans. 2 pass rushers or more and 2 tough press man corners (along with good other parts) will be enough to win with defense.

then we need a little on offense. primarily we have to have the good te opposite gronk and in case gronk goes down and who can block well as well.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you totally. i just think in BB's mind its not that way lol. he may view some DT or OL higher than an End or TE we want

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

hey joe,

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you totally. i just think in BB's mind its not that way lol. he may view some DT or OL higher than an End or TE we want

[/QUOTE]

he has come around on severla things i (and i sure others) had been wanting for years including this year stud free agents to take us over the top this year(revis), bringing in 2 tough, big press man corners revis and browner. but i hear you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from minnypat. Show minnypat's posts

so if I am reading the winds correctly...I like to whittle down the names to familiarize myself with now that we have fifty days or so to go.

in 1st round we seem to be hoping that either Ealy, Nix or Pryor is there. Hageman is to iffy and it seems the three TE's aren't worth it at 29. My hope of Zach Martin seems unlikely.

in the 2nd most want one of the three TE's. My hope was that Attaocho would be there at the end of the second but that is looking more and more unlikely. We'd have to trade up to get him, maybe Mallet and picks or Vollmer would get the Texan's second. With our pick I will have fingers crossed that one of Trent Murphy, Kelvin Benjiman or Weston Richburg is there. 

I love the third round and would kill for multiple picks. Give me any of these guys who might be available - D. Bucannon, Telvin Smith, Joel Bitonio, Ed Reynolds, Jack Mewhort or Donte Montcrief.

I hate not having a 4th. Maybe BB can work his magic. Some good players will be there. I love me some Dakota Dozier but he is getting buzz and probably won't be there. Ty Zimmerman or Shane Skov would be nice. And CB Marcus Roberson. Or D McCullers.

There are a bunch of guys I am high on in the late rounds -

QB - Aaron Murray, Logan Thomas (especially if he showed a willingness to try H-Back), Kenny Guiton (great kid, would love to see him cross train at WR or punt return), Brett Smith

RB- Jerrick McKinnon, Andre Williams

TE - A.C. Leanord, Joe Don Duncan, Rob Blanchflower

WR - Kevin Norwood, Kain Colter

OL- Billy Turner,l John Urschel, Marcus Martin, Chris Watt

DL - larry Webster, Caraun Reid, Zach Moore, Ed Stinson

LB - Jordon Tripp, Max Bullough

DB- Walt Aikens, Daniel Sorenson, Brock Vereen, Vinne Sunseri (from Bama, watch BB do a Tavon Wilson redux and draft Vinnie in the 2nd round)

WHO AM I MISSING THAT HAS BEEN PROMOTED ON THIS THREAD????

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to minnypat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

so if I am reading the winds correctly...I like to whittle down the names to familiarize myself with now that we have fifty days or so to go.

in 1st round we seem to be hoping that either Ealy, Nix or Pryor is there. Hageman is to iffy and it seems the three TE's aren't worth it at 29. My hope of Zach Martin seems unlikely.

in the 2nd most want one of the three TE's. My hope was that Attaocho would be there at the end of the second but that is looking more and more unlikely. We'd have to trade up to get him, maybe Mallet and picks or Vollmer would get the Texan's second. With our pick I will have fingers crossed that one of Trent Murphy, Kelvin Benjiman or Weston Richburg is there. 

I love the third round and would kill for multiple picks. Give me any of these guys who might be available - D. Bucannon, Telvin Smith, Joel Bitonio, Ed Reynolds, Jack Mewhort or Donte Montcrief.

I hate not having a 4th. Maybe BB can work his magic. Some good players will be there. I love me some Dakota Dozier but he is getting buzz and probably won't be there. Ty Zimmerman or Shane Skov would be nice. And CB Marcus Roberson. Or D McCullers.

QB - Aaron Murray, Logan Thomas (especially if he showed a willingness to try H-Back), Kenny Guiton (great kid, would love to see him cross train at WR or punt return), Brett Smith

RB- Jerrick McKinnon, Andre Williams

TE - A.C. Leanord, Joe Don Duncan, Rob Blanchflower

WR - Kevin Norwood, Kain Colter

OL- Billy Turner,l John Urschel, Marcus Martin, Chris Watt

DL - larry Webster, Caraun Reid, Zach Moore, Ed Stinson

LB - Jordon Tripp, Max Bullough

DB- Walt Aikens, Daniel Sorenson, Brock Vereen, Vinne Sunseri (from Bama, watch BB do a Tavon Wilson redux and draft Vinnie in the 2nd round)

[/QUOTE]

We do have a 4th.  Just not a 5th  (Two 6ths).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

My Responses in Red:

Martin might be the safest pick in this class, but you're right, he'll be gone.  Ealy, Pryor, Nix, Tuitt, Hageman, Jernigan, Shazier and Benjamin seem to be the most popular names in Rd 1.  A definite defensive flavor.

Some might project Attaochu here, but I just think his talent/upside screams Top 40 pick, and he could easily go in Rd 1.  Of the (3) mentioned, I don't think there's any chance of Benjamin being available at the end of Rd 2, though there's a chance Murphy could and I'd expect Richburg to be there as well.

I have Bucannon and Smith as Rd 2 kids, and while they're not locks for that round, I don't expect them to be available at the end of Rd 3... of the remaining, I love Moncrief and Bitonio, who both have a shot at being on the board.  DaQuan Jones is another very popular Day 2 name.

As another poster mentioned, Wazz mentioned, they have a 4th, but no 5th.

I've addes some names that I like in:

RB- Jerrick McKinnon, Andre Williams, Alfred Blue, Tyler Gaffney.

TE - A.C. Leanord, Joe Don Duncan, Rob Blanchflower, Arthur Lynch, Trey Burton.

WR - Kevin Norwood, Kain Colter, TJ Jones, Michael Campanaro.

OL- Billy Turner,l John Urschel, Marcus Martin, Chris Watt, Bryan Stork.

DL - larry Webster, Caraun Reid, Zach Moore, Ed Stinson, Brent Urban, Bruce Gaston, Justin Ellis.

LB - Jordon Tripp, Max Bullough, 

A couple of names that I'd like to add:

WR- Cody Latimer

S/CB- Antone Exum

CB- Stanley Jean-Baptiste

WR- Bruce Ellington

WR- Jared Abbrederis

RB- Devonte Freeman

QB- AJ McCarron

LB- Shayne Skov

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from minnypat. Show minnypat's posts

thanks much MB, great response. Sorry about screwing up 4th and 5th. I just had it in my head the Philly DT cost us a 4th. My bad.

It's a kick in the butt that allot of the players I like have become risers and won't be there at the Pat's position. I am particularly vexed that Bucannon and Smith have become Round Two guys.

with 1st pick I just don't like Tuitt or Hageman. And though Shazier and Benjamin are quality I just don't see LB or WR being a 1st round priority. Jernagin would be okay. Gotta root hard for one of the 3 -Ealy, Nix, Pryor - to slide. Like many I suspect BB has a short list of guys he sees as value at 29 and if none of them are there he will trade back.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

The patriots are working out DE Dee Ford out of auburn today. Per nesn.com

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:

The patriots are working out DE Dee Ford out of auburn today. Per nesn.com

Nice... another very capable edge rusher option.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

MB, Ealy ran a 4.5 flat today at his proday. His stock has risen such a beast.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

MB, Ealy ran a 4.5 flat today at his proday. His stock has risen such a beast.

[/QUOTE]

Wow... kinda makes you pause considering he ran a 4.92 at the Combine... amazing how different the times are between events, ha.  He's prob more of a 4.7/4.8 kid IMO, with very good agility and COD.  But you're right, he's an animal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

So is there any question that BB will either draft or sign Rutgers S Jeremy Deering as an URFA?  Listed at 6-2 200 and is listed as running a 4.33 40 with a 6.78 3C, 10-6 broad jump and 33.5 vert at his pro day.  No confirmed height/weight or SS #'s.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]

My Responses in Red:

Martin might be the safest pick in this class, but you're right, he'll be gone.  Ealy, Pryor, Nix, Tuitt, Hageman, Jernigan, Shazier and Benjamin seem to be the most popular names in Rd 1.  A definite defensive flavor.

Some might project Attaochu here, but I just think his talent/upside screams Top 40 pick, and he could easily go in Rd 1.  Of the (3) mentioned, I don't think there's any chance of Benjamin being available at the end of Rd 2, though there's a chance Murphy could and I'd expect Richburg to be there as well.

I have Bucannon and Smith as Rd 2 kids, and while they're not locks for that round, I don't expect them to be available at the end of Rd 3... of the remaining, I love Moncrief and Bitonio, who both have a shot at being on the board.  DaQuan Jones is another very popular Day 2 name.

As another poster mentioned, Wazz mentioned, they have a 4th, but no 5th.

I've addes some names that I like in:

RB- Jerrick McKinnon, Andre Williams, Alfred Blue, Tyler Gaffney.

TE - A.C. Leanord, Joe Don Duncan, Rob Blanchflower, Arthur Lynch, Trey Burton.

WR - Kevin Norwood, Kain Colter, TJ Jones, Michael Campanaro.

OL- Billy Turner,l John Urschel, Marcus Martin, Chris Watt, Bryan Stork.

DL - larry Webster, Caraun Reid, Zach Moore, Ed Stinson, Brent Urban, Bruce Gaston, Justin Ellis.

LB - Jordon Tripp, Max Bullough, 

A couple of names that I'd like to add:

WR- Cody Latimer

S/CB- Antone Exum

CB- Stanley Jean-Baptiste

WR- Bruce Ellington

WR- Jared Abbrederis

RB- Devonte Freeman

QB- AJ McCarron

LB- Shayne Skov

Hey MB you forgot my boy Lyerla maybe you haven't promoted him but I sure have. He's definately going to be drafted it's just a matter of by whom. Also what happened to the LB's Kirksey and Starr? This is a very deep draft and contrary to most peoples opinions I wouldn't be surprised if the Patriots draft Michael Sam, especially if they somehow draft Ealy.