***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

So is there any question that BB will either draft or sign Rutgers S Jeremy Deering as an URFA?  Listed at 6-2 200 and is listed as running a 4.33 40 with a 6.78 3C, 10-6 broad jump and 33.5 vert at his pro day.  No confirmed height/weight or SS #'s.

Sounds like a BB guy to me. From Rutgers, great 3 cone, from Rutgers, runs a fast 40, from Rutgers, and good sized. lol, an entire S core of Rutgers players now that funny.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Question for the thread:

Assuming Pryor, Ealy and Nix are off the board, who do you want in Rd 1 (trading back isn't an option)?

For me it's or choice of Hageman or Tuitt. I wish I could see both workout personally because then I could see if Hageman is actually developing or not. If Hagemans hit a wall in his progression then Tuitt but if Hageman (who wasn't a DL until recently) seems to be evolving and adapting to the position easily him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

So is there any question that BB will either draft or sign Rutgers S Jeremy Deering as an URFA?  Listed at 6-2 200 and is listed as running a 4.33 40 with a 6.78 3C, 10-6 broad jump and 33.5 vert at his pro day.  No confirmed height/weight or SS #'s.

Sounds like a BB guy to me. From Rutgers, great 3 cone, from Rutgers, runs a fast 40, from Rutgers, and good sized. lol, an entire S core of Rutgers players now that funny.

And then there's this, haha:

Scott Porter: What are your greatest strengths?

Jeremy Deering: I believe that my greatest strength is my ability to make a quick adjustment when a situation arises. Being a smart football player and having experiences from playing multiple positions.

http://www.newerascouting.com/2014/02/15/2014-draft-interview-jeremy-deering-s-rutgers/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Jeremy Deering: I believe that my greatest strength is my ability to make a quick adjustment when a situation arises. Being a smart football player and having experiences from playing multiple positions.

http://www.newerascouting.com/2014/02/15/2014-draft-interview-jeremy-deering-s-rutgers/

Forget a UDFA, here's our 2nd round pick fella's. Well that's one round down

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Hahahaha, scary isn't it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

No way bb takes this kid in round 2. There I said it..lol, it will happen.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

And I just added my "Deering #28" jersey to cart at the Patriots Online ProShop, so it better happen!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

So you're to blame  >.>

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

And I just added my "Deering #28" jersey to cart at the Patriots Online ProShop, so it better happen!

Ha!

joking aside..he seems like the prototypical bb kid. Smart, versatile, Rutgers. I wouldn't mind us taking a late round or udfa flier on the kid, but we have more pressing needs early. 

I think most of the kids we talk about in round 1...Ealy, nix, Hageman, will be gone. 

Do you think tuitt with his foot injury makes him fall a bit? Do you think 29 is too early for him? 

Any thoughts on Ford? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Ha!

joking aside..he seems like the prototypical bb kid. Smart, versatile, Rutgers. I wouldn't mind us taking a late round or udfa flier on the kid, but we have more pressing needs early. 

I think most of the kids we talk about in round 1...Ealy, nix, Hageman, will be gone. 

Do you think tuitt with his foot injury makes him fall a bit? Do you think 29 is too early for him? 

Any thoughts on Ford? 

Totally agree... makes a ton of sense late in the draft or as an URFA.

I still like Attaochu, Tuitt and Shazier if the others are gone.  A sleeper could be Su'a-Filo if they target the OL.

I don't think 29 is too early for Tuitt, no.

You could prob add Ford to the Rd 1 discussion as well... shorter with shorter arms that Attaochu, but love the burst/suddenness of the snap, he uses his hands well, can bend and plays every snap hard... if they're looking for a situational edge rusher that can do more as his game develops, Ford is another very good option.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Question for the thread:

Assuming Pryor, Ealy and Nix are off the board, who do you want in Rd 1 (trading back isn't an option)?

What's up, Man?  Great question here.  If those 3 are gone, I have to say that Shazier would be my next option.  He is really growing on me.  I do feel that LB is a need, and throwing a guy like Shazier out there with Collins would give our LB corp some pretty insane athleticism.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Question for the thread:

What's up, Man?  Great question here.  If those 3 are gone, I have to say that Shazier would be my next option.  He is really growing on me.  I do feel that LB is a need, and throwing a guy like Shazier out there with Collins would give our LB corp some pretty insane athleticism.

Hey, man!  I like the idea of Shazier too, def adds crazy athleticism and versatility to the 2nd level of the D.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Doing my post FA 1st round mock, I don't know what I was thinking but there will be a few of those coming my way lol

Thing I'm noticing, (I spend a stupid amount of time looking a other team needs to hope come up with a good) how I figured it would go before it's changing a bit now because of some team moves in FA.

Like about to start research on Packers, so up to 21 I have not had a DT selected yet call me crazy but so far its a OL and DB frenzy with DT not getting any love.

LOL stay tunned be ready soon, I'm ready for the "come on man!!!"

Added:  FYI...I don't like Manzel think he's a bust waiting to happen.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

I like this guy in the 3rd (trading up a little bit) maybe 2nd

Deone Bucannon Scouting Report 
    By Charlie Campbell 

Strengths:
    • Hard hitter
    • Tackling ability
    • Run defense
    • Physical presence
    • Can separate the ball from the receiver
    • Showed improved ball skills throughout his career
    • Experienced
    • Durable
    • Quickness
    • Ready to compete quickly
    • Productive
    • Experienced
    • Special teams ability
    •  
    • Weaknesses:
    • More of a strong safety
    • Lacks range to be a free safety
    • Could be a liability in pass coverage
    • Can take false steps
    • Can he cover tight ends, slot receivers?
    • Stiff, could struggle to turn and run with receivers
    • Overly aggressive, penalties

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

MB, great question.

I would go with Pryor as I think he and Ha-Ha are probably the only NFL starter safties in this draft.

If you need  a DT in Rd 2, there are options, Jones, Quarles, Ferguson, you can have a run stuffer in Ellis in the late 3rd or 4th.

For pass rushers/DE/OLB, K. Martin in the 2nd may work, and later, Jeffcoat, D. Lawerence, M, Smith.

I think for the quality of player at 29;  knowing he would start; and more importantly after that the S talent drops off, I would go with Pryor.

Gotta read the question again ;)  I had asked it assuming Pryor, Ealy and Nix were off the board.

Sorry, early morning.  I would take Shazier, if he were there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

What about to trade out of the first and get and extra 3rd + 5th so NE could pick:

Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas           2nd A (the swap pick, 15 to 18 in the 2nd round)

Austin Seferian-Jenkins*, TE, Washington     2nd B (trade up with our 3rd)

Deone Bucannon, S, Washington State  3rd A

Size, power, Hard hitting, hard to match !!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Here's the mock to NE's pick, a list of who I have as possible 1st round talent let for NE.  

1 Texans QB Blake Bortles

2 Rams OT Jake Mathews

3 Jaguars WR Sammy Watkins

4 Browns WR Mike Evans

5 Raiders DE Jadeveon Clowney

6 Falcons OT Greg Robinson

7 Buccaneers LB Khalil Mack

8 Vikings QB Teddy Bridgewater

9 Bills        OT Taylor Lewan

10 Lions   S   Hasean Clinton-Dix

11 Titans CB  Darqueze Dennard

12   Giants DE  Kony Ealy

13  Rams S   Calvin Pryor

14  Bears  TE  Eric Ebron

15  Steelers CB   Justin Gilbert

16  Cowboys LB   Anthony Barr

17  Ravens  OT  Zack Martin

18   Jets  CB    Jason Verrett

19  Dolphins  OG   Su'a-Filo

20  Cardinals  CB  Kyle Fuller

21  Packers  ILB  C.J. Mosley

22    Eagles  LB  Ryan Shazier

23  Chiefs  NT  Louis Nix

24  Bengals  DE  Dee Ford

25  Chargers  CB  Bradley Roby

26  Browns QB  Derek Carr

27  Saints  OT  Cyrus Kouandjio

28  Panthers  WR  Marqise Lee

29  Patriots

DL/LB Aaron Donald, Timmy Jernigan, RaShede Hageman, Stephon Tuitt, LB Kyle Van Noy

WR/TE Odell Beckham Jr., Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, Allen Robinson, TE Jace Amaro, TE ASJ

DBs S Deone Bucannon, CB Marcus Roberson

OL OG David Yankey, OT Morgan Moses, OC Marcus Martin

30  49ers

31  Broncos

32  Seahawks

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:

Here's the mock to NE's pick, a list of who I have as possible 1st round talent let for NE.  

1 Texans QB Blake Bortles

2 Rams OT Jake Mathews

3 Jaguars WR Sammy Watkins

4 Browns WR Mike Evans

5 Raiders DE Jadeveon Clowney

6 Falcons OT Greg Robinson

7 Buccaneers LB Khalil Mack

8 Vikings QB Teddy Bridgewater

9 Bills        OT Taylor Lewan

10 Lions   S   Hasean Clinton-Dix

11 Titans CB  Darqueze Dennard

12   Giants DE  Kony Ealy

13  Rams S   Calvin Pryor

14  Bears  TE  Eric Ebron

15  Steelers CB   Justin Gilbert

16  Cowboys LB   Anthony Barr

17  Ravens  OT  Zack Martin

18   Jets  CB    Jason Verrett

19  Dolphins  OG   Su'a-Filo

20  Cardinals  CB  Kyle Fuller

21  Packers  ILB  C.J. Mosley

22    Eagles  LB  Ryan Shazier

23  Chiefs  NT  Louis Nix

24  Bengals  DE  Dee Ford

25  Chargers  CB  Bradley Roby

26  Browns QB  Derek Carr

27  Saints  OT  Cyrus Kouandjio

28  Panthers  WR  Marqise Lee

29  Patriots

DL/LB Aaron Donald, Timmy Jernigan, RaShede Hageman, Stephon Tuitt, LB Kyle Van Noy

WR/TE Odell Beckham Jr., Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, Allen Robinson, TE Jace Amaro, TE ASJ

30  49ers

31  Broncos

32  Seahawks

Wow, surprised by the first 5 picks. With a WR deep draft, do you see 2 gone before clowney? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Wow, surprised by the first 5 picks. With a WR deep draft, do you see 2 gone before clowney? 

More the teams who are picking, both Jags and Rams are desperate for WR help and these two guys are supposed to be two the best prospects to come out.  For Rams in specific, they need to give Bradford that true #1.  The Jags, flip of a coin they are just a mess lol 

But yes I think those two will go before Clown..ey  (btw, not a fan of his that might also have something to do with it)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

29  Patriots

30  49ers

31  Broncos

32  Seahawks

Why not drop back 8-9 places, get a extra pick and still pick from at least 7-8 of players you listed?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

29  Patriots

30  49ers

31  Broncos

32  Seahawks

Why not drop back 8-9 places, get a extra pick and still pick from at least 7-8 of players you listed?

On Pats pick?  I kind of agree with this, I know Hageman would help but how much better is he than other DTs, is he that huge of a margin better than say Tuitt or Kelcy Quarles?  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

More the teams who are picking, both Jags and Rams are desperate for WR help and these two guys are supposed to be two the best prospects to come out.  For Rams in specific, they need to give Bradford that true #1.  The Jags, flip of a coin they are just a mess lol 

But yes I think those two will go before Clown..ey  (btw, not a fan of his that might also have something to do with it)

I would argue that if you want to improve your passing game, you would address the QB position first (Unless you already have the QB).

It does not matter if you think the remaining QBs are top 5 material. If you are JAX or CLE, you simply ahve to look at whether Manziel, Bridgewater, or Bortles is better than the QBs you carry. If yes, you have to pick a QB. 

Also, STL has picks 2, 13 and 44. Withe depth at OL and WR, wouldn't it be more reasonable to think they go Clowney at 2, OT at 13 and WR at 44? 

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

I would argue that if you want to improve your passing game, you would address the QB position first (Unless you already have the QB).

It does not matter if you think the remaining QBs are top 5 material. If you are JAX or CLE, you simply ahve to look at whether Manziel, Bridgewater, or Bortles is better than the QBs you carry. If yes, you have to pick a QB. 

Also, STL has picks 2, 13 and 44. Withe depth at OL and WR, wouldn't it be more reasonable to think they go Clowney at 2, OT at 13 and WR at 44? 

Reasonable thinking. THough if they belive in a specific WR they may have to pull the trigger at 13.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would rather have Aaron Murray than Manzel, rather take my chances with AJ McCarron and would say I like Jimmy Garoppolo in the 2nd over Bridgewater with a top 5 pick.  And a great WR makes an average QB a probowler. 

I think the margin of a watkins/evans to other WRs is that much, both are going to be top 10 picks.  

And I knew this was going to be a "come on man" type mock lol

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would rather have Aaron Murray than Manzel, rather take my chances with AJ McCarron and would say I like Jimmy Garoppolo in the 2nd over Bridgewater with a top 5 pick.  And a great WR makes an average QB a probowler. 

I think the margin of a watkins/evans to other WRs is that much, both are going to be top 10 picks.  

And I knew this was going to be a "come on man" type mock lol

[/QUOTE]

Every mock is. At elast there's always going to be a guy who will do the "come on man"

I actually think it's great that you are taking a very comprehensive view of the needs of other teams too. I don't know to what extreme you do it, but I always have respect for deep analysis.

One question I have is whether you ahd looked at needs not just for this season but for the coming seasons. Specifically, have you considered whether the team has key contributors on their fourth year.  Keeping key talent can become very expensive, when they hit FA. 

On the STL roster, there is Quinn - a fourth year guy. On the other hand, there is Clowney sitting at #2. Using the logic you articulated for why to pick Watkins early, could you not say also that there is a big difference between Clowney and whomever they can get at 13, so much so at 44? Actually, how do you think Clowney compares to any of the edge rushers picked up in the last year? 

If I have to guess, the only circumstance that STL will not pick Clowney is if HOU picks him.

• Sections
    Shortcuts