***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

[/QUOTE]

Great mock! CB's dominate a bit, but it is logical this could happen.  Manziel loses out to Carr.  Setting up the possibility Jacksonville, Tennessee or Tamp Bay moving back up in the firts to select Manziel.  Also, heard rumors on some sites the New Orleans would take a QB early. Not sure Chiefs take nix with Poe, but I totally agree San Diego takes a CB.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, on CBs all those teams and then some have CB need in a bad way probably reason we saw some crazy contracts handed out in combination of projected cap increases over the next few years.  Once you get pass those CB its starts dropping a bit in talent but still some decent guys available.

on manzel, I think he doesn't get drafted before the 3rd round.  I would take AJ McCarron over manzel in a heart beat!  or even for where you would draft him, I would take Tajh Boyd in later rounds.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I simply don't think there is much interest in Mallet from the other teams in the NFL.  Many Patriot fans are over-valuing his worth.  If you look around, it seems like most teams have made their moves for a QB already.  Mallet is likely staying in NE for one more year.

[/QUOTE]

I def agree with this.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. But can you imagine a 2014 season where both Hoyer and Cassell do very well in their respective teams? What do you think that would do to how teams value Mallett?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:
    [QUOTE]

on manzel, I think he doesn't get drafted before the 3rd round.  I would take AJ McCarron over manzel in a heart beat!  or even for where you would draft him, I would take Tajh Boyd in later rounds.  

[/QUOTE]

You had me on your McCarron comment. In a heartbeat, I would take Manziel over Boyd. Manziel commits far fewer TOs than Boyd.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I simply don't think there is much interest in Mallet from the other teams in the NFL.  Many Patriot fans are over-valuing his worth.  If you look around, it seems like most teams have made their moves for a QB already.  Mallet is likely staying in NE for one more year.

[/QUOTE]

I def agree with this.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. But can you imagine a 2014 season where both Hoyer and Cassell do very well in their respective teams? What do you think that would do to how teams value Mallett?

[/QUOTE]

It'll be interesting to see what Hoyer can do with the weapons he'll likely be surrounded with (Gordon, Cameron and what I would anticipate is a high round WR... maybe Watkins or Evans)? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Pats7393's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You had me on your McCarron comment. In a heartbeat, I would take Manziel over Boyd. Manziel commits far fewer TOs than Boyd.

[/QUOTE]

He does try threading the needle in tight windows lol

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from minnypat. Show minnypat's posts

Nah, I disagree and am clearly in the minority here. Mallet was thought of as a 1st round talent when he came out but dropped because of character concerns. He's been nothing but a choirboy here. And Cassell's success and Hoyer's short success point to Pat-trained guys having a leg up. If you're the Houston guy or the Cleveland guy you gotta be comparing Mallet to the guys coming out and short of Bridgewater and Bortles I would take Mallet. And remember, O'Brien and the Brown's coach or Vikes coach don't have five years to win. Realistically they have three years to turn things around. Quite possibly Mallet ISN"T the answer and certainly not worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick. But he is worth a shot and if you can get a Mallet-led package out of the Pats for a mid-pick I would roll the dice.

Seriously, who do you want to put your money down on??? Manziel? Matt Schaub? Vick? Do we overrate Mallet? Sure, probably, but if you roll the dice with him at least there is a chance you get more than you expected. With the other guys what you see is what you get. It's an entertainment business guys. At least Mallet would be an exciting adventure.

And in Houston (he's from Texarcana) he'd put some fans in the seats.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from minnypat. Show minnypat's posts

and I would NEVER advocate backing up Brady with just a rookie this year. You'd have to have another vet (Colt McCoy) lined up before you traded Mallet.

But the WHOLE POINT with Mallet has been said a thousand times, if you don't get something for him now he walks after this season and Pats have nothing for a three-year training investment. Ya gotta utilize your assets.

There's a good chance Christian Ponder gets released. He wouldn't be a bad backup.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to minnypat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There's a good chance Christian Ponder gets released. He wouldn't be a bad backup.

[/QUOTE]

Please, no.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I've got to admit I've been looking at a lot of these front seven defenders and I just don't see a good one falling to where we are, why not just take Jace Amaro and call it a day? Or if the kid from Oregon falls (Cooks)...take him. Either would help this team. I just keep looking at some of these tackles and ends, and I can't help but think...these are guys that we can get in the second or third. I just don't find them to be all that good - a guy like Tuitt would of been nice, but he's got that stress fracture now. Nix would be nice, but he'll be gone. I don't like Ealy and I think Ford will be gone, or just flat out won't fit what we do. The kid from Minnesota looks like a hit or miss type too.

And I keep seeing guys who they think are going to clime into the bottom half of the first as undersized ends...they look like late second round reaches too me. Just take Amaro, at least he'll give you 50 catches a year and won't drop the ball...he might help in the redzone too. And Cooks would really make things interesting in this offense, I don't care that he's small or may be more of a slot guy, we'd find a spot for him, he'd fit here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Question for you guys...

I've read and heard on radio that HOU should pick up Clowney. To me Clowney is a pure rusher. Would he fit in HOU's 34?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from minnypat. Show minnypat's posts

Draftsite has a seven round mock up. Some observations...

it has Pats taking Nix in 1st and Iowa's TE CJ Fed in the second. It has Ealy going a couple of picks after Nix to Seattle. I'd prefer Ealy over Nix at this stage. And I was hoping we could get CJ in the 3rd.

Allot of my favorite players seem slotted for the top half of the second. This mock had Tuitt, Murphy, Bucannon and Swanson going there.

But the 3rd round is where I want to be. This mock had a dozen players going in the third that I would love to see the Pats get - Moncrief, DQ Jones, Skov, Abrederris, McCarron, Andre Williams, Attaochu, Jack Mewhort and a couple of others. This mock had us taking a Rutgers WR, Brandon Coleman. That would disappoint me.

In this mock's fourth there were some interesting names -Authur Lynch, Weston Richburg, Troy Niklas, Ed Stinson. The mock had Pats taking FSU LB Christian Jones. A good pick. Allot of you guys have lobbied for Niklas as Pat's 1st pick but most mocks I see have him going in the 4th or later. Why the disparity?

We don't have a fifth but this mock had a bunch of guys I would love going there - Brett Smith, Jeff Janis, Telvin Smith, Storm Johnson, Ty Zimmerman, Marcus Martin, Larry Webster, Aaron Murray. Gotta get us a fifth.

The 6th round in this mock had some guys of interest - Joel Bitonio, Rob Blanchflower, Jordan Zumwalt, Chris Watt, Dakota Dozier, Jordon Tripp and Joe Don Duncan, who the mock had the Pats taking.  I like all these guys. They'd all be great value in the 6th.

And last, not least, the grand 7th round. But nobody I like. The mock had Pats taking another WR Cody Latimar of Indiana. The mock had Pats taking two TE's and two WR's.

I should double check but most of my small school sleeper favorites like Walt Aiken and AC Leanord didn't get drafted in this mock. I still am certain this draft has quality guys in the late rounds. Pats need to score one or two.

Ah heck, it's just one of ten thousand mocks. Wake me on 5/8.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]

Question for you guys...

I've read and heard on radio that HOU should pick up Clowney. To me Clowney is a pure rusher. Would he fit in HOU's 34?

[/QUOTE]

He would have to stand up or Houston figures on being in a sub a lot of the time.  You are right I think he belongs as a 43 DE if he has to play OLB in a 34 it will take him a while to learn that position and responsabilities.

Willie has said it a bunch, when you stand up it goes from one read to a lot of reads before ball is snapped.  it will slow down Clowney.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've got to admit I've been looking at a lot of these front seven defenders and I just don't see a good one falling to where we are, why not just take Jace Amaro and call it a day? Or if the kid from Oregon falls (Cooks)...take him. Either would help this team. I just keep looking at some of these tackles and ends, and I can't help but think...these are guys that we can get in the second or third. I just don't find them to be all that good - a guy like Tuitt would of been nice, but he's got that stress fracture now. Nix would be nice, but he'll be gone. I don't like Ealy and I think Ford will be gone, or just flat out won't fit what we do. The kid from Minnesota looks like a hit or miss type too.

And I keep seeing guys who they think are going to clime into the bottom half of the first as undersized ends...they look like late second round reaches too me. Just take Amaro, at least he'll give you 50 catches a year and won't drop the ball...he might help in the redzone too. And Cooks would really make things interesting in this offense, I don't care that he's small or may be more of a slot guy, we'd find a spot for him, he'd fit here.

[/QUOTE]

I love Ealy and I think most agree with you on Hageman, boom/bust time with a ton of upside but is very inconsistent.  I also don't think Amaro is out of the question in Rd 1, but he's almost exclusively a flex type TE and I'd almost rather have Kelvin Benjamin in that capacity... Cooks could also be under consideration in Rd 1, he has the prototye WR skill set for a BB offense.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to minnypat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Draftsite has a seven round mock up. Some observations...

it has Pats taking Nix in 1st and Iowa's TE CJ Fed in the second. It has Ealy going a couple of picks after Nix to Seattle. I'd prefer Ealy over Nix at this stage. And I was hoping we could get CJ in the 3rd.

Allot of my favorite players seem slotted for the top half of the second. This mock had Tuitt, Murphy, Bucannon and Swanson going there.

But the 3rd round is where I want to be. This mock had a dozen players going in the third that I would love to see the Pats get - Moncrief, DQ Jones, Skov, Abrederris, McCarron, Andre Williams, Attaochu, Jack Mewhort and a couple of others. This mock had us taking a Rutgers WR, Brandon Coleman. That would disappoint me.

In this mock's fourth there were some interesting names -Authur Lynch, Weston Richburg, Troy Niklas, Ed Stinson. The mock had Pats taking FSU LB Christian Jones. A good pick. Allot of you guys have lobbied for Niklas as Pat's 1st pick but most mocks I see have him going in the 4th or later. Why the disparity?

We don't have a fifth but this mock had a bunch of guys I would love going there - Brett Smith, Jeff Janis, Telvin Smith, Storm Johnson, Ty Zimmerman, Marcus Martin, Larry Webster, Aaron Murray. Gotta get us a fifth.

The 6th round in this mock had some guys of interest - Joel Bitonio, Rob Blanchflower, Jordan Zumwalt, Chris Watt, Dakota Dozier, Jordon Tripp and Joe Don Duncan, who the mock had the Pats taking.  I like all these guys. They'd all be great value in the 6th.

And last, not least, the grand 7th round. But nobody I like. The mock had Pats taking another WR Cody Latimar of Indiana. The mock had Pats taking two TE's and two WR's.

I should double check but most of my small school sleeper favorites like Walt Aiken and AC Leanord didn't get drafted in this mock. I still am certain this draft has quality guys in the late rounds. Pats need to score one or two.

Ah heck, it's just one of ten thousand mocks. Wake me on 5/8.

[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for the mock creators projection, but I can say that I disagree with some of his projections.

1.  I don't think CJ is a lock for Rd 2, would be more comfortable with him in Rd 3.

2.  I don't think anyone is really talking about Niklas in Rd 1 recently, but I don't see a scenario in which he lasts until Rd 4.

3.  No way Joel Bitonio lasts until Rd 6... heck, I'd be surprised if he makes it out've Day 2 and I honestly think that he could be a Mankins type that ends up in Rd 1, when most don't project him there.  Kid can play either T or G position.

4.  I don't see Cody Latimer being available in Rd 7.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Lets assume for argument, we get Vince under contract (which in my mind means BB and Bob Kraft see him as able to play this year) and Tommy Kelly. 

How would that change your draft? 

We would now have added two corners and have decent backups in the secondary. We get Mayo back, so we would have Hightower, Mayo, and Collins. We lost Spikes, so we could need some LB help. 

We could possibly wait until round 4 and get Daniel McCullers at D-Tackle. 

I would spend a first round on Kelvin Benjamin, a second round on best interior lineman available and a third round on CJ Federowitz. 

Pick up Andre Williams from BC in the 4th to replace Blount. 

What would you do?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

I may see about taking CJ Mosley in the first now - then possibly Jordan Mathews in the second. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

I cant ******* wait for this draft. This class is loaded!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

In response to mcboyd22's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I may see about taking CJ Mosley in the first now - then possibly Jordan Mathews in the second. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah man I think we should take a game changing rushing linebacker also.. And Mathews that would be a steal! He reminds me of Vincent Jackson.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

Lets assume for argument, we get Vince under contract (which in my mind means BB and Bob Kraft see him as able to play this year) and Tommy Kelly. 

We would now have added two corners and have decent backups in the secondary. We get Mayo back, so we would have Hightower, Mayo, and Collins. We lost Spikes, so we could need some LB help. 

I would spend a first round on Kelvin Benjamin, a second round on best interior lineman available and a third round on CJ Federowitz. 

What would you do?

[/QUOTE]

I think they've set themselves up nicely to target BPA.  Now, I don't anticipate a CB in Rd 1, which means, they'll prob take one, ha.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Some food for thought below... with this info, I absolutely love FSU's Devonte Freeman on Day 2 or the middle rounds if they choose to go the RB route.  I also think Alfred Blue is an underrated kid that can prob be had on Day 3.  Jeremy Hill has had some off field troubles, but he too could come at a value

"— You might be surprised to hear the New England Patriots are interested in running backs, but several of this year's backs have told me the Patriots' staff met with them after the combine."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1999274-2014-nfl-draft-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-for-2nd-week-of-free-agency

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Kid's a stud.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

What would you do?

[/QUOTE]

I have no interest in McCullers. That would be a waste of a pick.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

[QUOTE]

What would you do?

I have no interest in McCullers. That would be a waste of a pick.

[/QUOTE]

How about Kelcy Quarles.. love this kid to be on the pats.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Kid's a stud.

[/QUOTE]

He's a stud and a few teams are in need of a 4 down type LB, he's not getting out of the teens.  

IMO outside being a 34 OLB he can pretty much play any other LB position.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from minnypat. Show minnypat's posts

as of now I am dreaming of Ealy, Bitonio, CJ and either rb Storm Johnson or Dakota Dozier in the 4th. And one of Blanchflower, AC Leanord or Joe Don Duncan in 5th or 6th. And my man Walt Aiken in the 7th.

I also want a trade the gets us another pick in the 2nd where we take Attaocho. I'd even give up our 1st in 2015 to get an extra RD two pick. Attaochu is that good. And an extra 3rd where we take DeQuan Jones or Kelcey Quarles.

I also want a young wife (who doesn't speak english) and a Harley.

Sections
Shortcuts