21 7th-UDFA players this year. Who do you think sticks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

21 7th-UDFA players this year. Who do you think sticks?

This year BB has taken 2 7th rounders and 19 UDFAs. We all know most aren't going to stick and there isn't a lot of room for players to make the so who do you predict will make the cut? In the discussion if you think the player makes the 53man squad give who they will replace and why. If you think they make the PS say what you like about them. If the get cut just cross out their name no need to say anything more. The list of players:

1. TJ Moe, WR, Missouri (5114 – 204 – 4.60)
    2. Joe Vellano, DT, Maryland (6’1″ – 306 – 5.35)
    3. Zach Sudfeld, TE, Nevada (6066 – 253 – 4.78)
    4. Cory Grissom, DT, South Florida (6013 – 306 – 5.21)
    5. Matt Stankiewitch, OC, Penn State (6026 – 302 – 5.42)
    6. Kenbrell Thompkins, WR, Cincinnati (6’1″ – 193 – 4.54)
    7. Ryan Allen, P, Louisiana Tech (6’2″ – 229)
    8. Quentin Hines, RB, Akron (5’9″ – 191)
    9. Brandon Ford, TE, Clemson (6’4″ – 245)
    10. Stephon Morris, CB, Penn State (5’8″ – 188)
    11. Elvis Fisher, OT, Missouri (6’5″ – 296)
    12. Chris McDonald, OG, Michigan State (6’4″ – 300)
    13. Brandon Jones, CB, Rutgers (6’0″ – 191)
    14. Josh Kline, OL, Kent State (6’3″ – 307)
    15. Kanorris Davis, SS, Troy (5’10″ – 211)
    16. Ben Bartholomew, FB, Tennessee (6’2″ – 245)
    17. Dwayne Cherrington, DL, Mississippi State (6’2″ – 345)
    18. Ryan Osiecki, QB, New Haven (Tryout)
    19. Mike Zupancic, LS, Eastern Michigan
    20. 7th Rounder Michael Buchanan, LB/DE Illinois (6'5" 255)
    21. 7th Rounder Steve Beauharnais, LB Rutgers (6'1" 240)

As for my list I have:

• TJ Moe, WR - makes 53 man squad beats out Donald Jones. Jones is a low cost WR with a lot to prove and health being a major contributor. With Brady missing Welker, Amendola and Edelman being injury risks Moe could easily slip into 53 man roster. If Moe develops chemistry quickly and shows Welker type of ability that made BB go get him then I don't see a way BB would risk Moe in waivers to be poached by another team.
    • Joe Vellano, DT - makes the PS. Though I don't think he has enough talent to crack the 53 man squad Vellano is the blue collar hard worker that BB loves to have hanging around the field. If any DT has a chance to make the team Vellano does just from shear work ethic and leadership ability
    • Zach Sudfeld, TE - makes 53 man squad beats out Daniel Fells - I don't know why but I really like this kid. 6'7" 253 with 4.7 speed. He has a huge catch radius and solid hands. Needs some help with his blocking ability but this kid is naturally gifted. After the Pats lost Yeatman I don't expect BB to take a chance losing another very high upside TE on the waiver line. With Ballard back BB can afford to lose either Fells or Hoom and just by how they were used at the end of last year my guess is Fells is gone. I expect Sudfield to either be on the team or on the PS but I doubt he'd clear waivers
    • Cory Grissom, DT - makes the PS. Grissom has some upside and is considered the top UDFA DT but this is a hard DL to crack for a UDFA. He has to show consistency and have to overtake Love for a backup role but his talent is enough to keep him on the PS
    • Matt Stankiewitch, OC - makes the PS -The first in the line of O'Brien guys BB we get. Like Wendell Stankiewitch has natural ability and could eventually make a good C in the Pro's but he's going to take time to develop. I don't see him cracking the 53 man squad given it's great depth right now
    • Kenbrell Thompkins, WR, Cincinnati (6’1″ – 193 – 4.54)
    • Ryan Allen, P, Louisiana Tech (6’2″ – 229)
    • Quentin Hines, RB, Akron (5’9″ – 191)
    • Brandon Ford, TE, Clemson (6’4″ – 245)
    • Stephon Morris, CBmakes the PS - Morris has shut down ability but is very inconsistent and needs to show more. Getting an endorsement from O'Brien will give him a shot on PS but his talent level doesn't put him above Ras and I don't see him contributing the same way as Cole on STs
    • Elvis Fisher, OT, Missouri (6’5″ – 296)
    • Chris McDonald, OG - makes the PS - much like his brother McDonald has a ton of flexibility and heart. He's a hard working high motor guy that BB can use all over the place. Like his brother he'll earn a spot on the PS
    • Brandon Jones, CB - makes the PS - BB loves his Rutgers guys but I just can't see Jones making the team as his talent level doesn't put him above Ras and I don't see him contributing the same way as Cole on STs
    • Josh Kline, OL, Kent State (6’3″ – 307)
    • Kanorris Davis, SS, Troy (5’10″ – 211)
    • Ben Bartholomew, FB, Tennessee (6’2″ – 245)
    • Dwayne Cherrington, DL, Mississippi State (6’2″ – 345)
    • Ryan Osiecki, QB, New Haven (Tryout)
    • Mike Zupancic, LS, Eastern Michigan
    • 7th Rounder Michael Buchanan, LB/DE - makes the 53man squad beating out Cunningham - I think Cunningham was on the bubble last camp and after the PED suspension didn't show the same flash as in the first couple of games in the season. Buchanan was considered a top 50 player after 2011 who fell drastically in 2012. There is a chance he could go back to high level talent and I think BB will give him a chance to do so. Getting a 2nd round prospect (after 11') for a 7th rounder is to much value for BB to give up on and he'll give him a Crable type of chance to prove himself
    • 7th Rounder Steve Beauharnais, LB - makes the PS - with all the LB's currently on the roster Beauharnais is going to have to show something. His one big wild card is his plus coverage skills. That might be the way he sneaks onto this roster beating out Tarp or Fletcher but I just don't see him cracking the roster this year

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: 21 7th-UDFA players this year. Who do you think sticks?

Moe and Buchanan, 53-man roster.

Stankiewich, Morris and Beauharnais - PS.

Honestly don't know about the rest.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Moe, Buchanan and Beauharnais each has a fair chance of making the 53 man roster. PS for sure.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I think Moe makes 53 man roster and surprises many people. He had a great sophmore season with Blaine Gabbert as QB. After Gabbert left they went to a run oriented offense, and his numbers slipped. But he is a workout warrior and extremely hard nosed football player. This guy may prove to be a steal.

Another guy I'm going to keep my eye on is UDFA Dewayne Cherrington Missippi State DT. He came from junior college and played only 2 yrs at Missippi State. Last year he backed up Fletcher Cox. He is 6'2" 345lb  he is very strong, 36 reps at pro day. He had great games against Alabama and LSU. He also said he patterns his game after Vince Wilfork. I know it's a long shot but maybe we could land Vince's replacement as an UDFA.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Moe making the team all falls on where Boyce plays. If Boyce is an inside WR, no way the Pats keep 4 slot WRs. Donald Jones would make the team  by default. Maybe Edelman and Moe are competing for a spot. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

http://www.businessarenasports.com/1/post/2013/01/2013-nfl-draft-client-dewayne-cherrington-mississippi-state.html

Article on UDFA Dewayne Cherrington

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Moe makes the team over Edelman.

I also think that Buchanan and Beauharnais make the 53 man roster.

Of the rest, I think Vellano and Grissom could contribute at some point, but at the very least make the PS... same with Sudfeld, Cherrington and one or two of the OL and DB's.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

One or two of those guys will get redshirted with a mysterious injury. My guess would be a receiver (Moe or Boyce) or maybe a guy like Sudfield, guys that might not make it to the PS.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Moe and Buchanan

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4160947. Show user_4160947's posts

This just for fun.  I am not a GM, but I did sleep in a Holiday Express last night...

I have these guys on the PS:

C Grissom DL, J Kline OL, TJ Moe WR, M Stankiewitch OL, B Jones CB

Potential cuts from the roster:

Offense

Bolden RB, Hooman/Fells TEs (one not both), D Jones WR, M Slater WR, Svitek/Zusevics OLs (one not both)

Defense

Cunningham, Forston, Vega, Bequette, Ras-I, Cole, Gregory, Koutouvides, Ebner

It will be a fierce competition for spots but I feel BB wants to upgrade everywhere but QB.  This is my opinion, but Moe is too slow and I think he will easily go to PS. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Yeah. Only T.J. Moe looks like he might make the roster to me. He has the makeup for what NE looks for in a slot. I think he can knock Edelman off the roster, at least he has a good chance.

He is really slow for a WR over the long haul, but that is about the same as Wes who was also slow. Regardless, the slot never really stretches the field in this system (unlike Pitt or NYG who actually have deep seam routes of many varieties for their slot). 

But like Wes he is incredibly quick. In fact, likely quicker than Wes at least in drills (in pads is always a different story). His Cone Drill score is so good it's the 6th best ... in the last 8 seasons of the combine! His 20 yard shuttle is the 3rd best in that time. And his 60 yd dash times is the best in the last 8 combines outright! 

He is to quick what Chris Johnson was to fast. 

Also like Wes he came from a wide open Big-12-style spread attack -- there is a lot of footage of this kid on bubble screens, slants, pick-routes, etc ... the kind of stuff NE does with their slot. They even ran the kid on a "go" when someone left him uncovered which is exactly what NE has its slot WRs do.

I know that Mizzou started using him as a kick returner, but I still don't like the precipitous drop off in WR yardage and TDs after his sophomore campaign. But in the end, it's hard to doubt that he has the "raw" ability to be an elite slot WR in NE's passing game. He also doesn't seem to have the field vision Wes has. 

Wether he can ever be as savvy as Wes, that is a mountain to hurdle. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

He wont beat Edelman as a Punt returner, thats for sure. 24 Punt returns 50 yards.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I am really curious about the TE - we have three and a half returnees who are recovering from injury (Fells was physically beat up all season) with the only healthy guy the lowest ranked (Hoom.) Gronk and Hern are obiously in and I think Hoom. Fells if healthy could surprise - he had a few moments last year but only a few. Ballard ... micro fracture is a last resort treatment for a messed up joint so is he healthy and does he have the same skill as when he went down. I think both of the UDFA TEs are interesting and would not be surprised with one on PS and one making the roster.

LB - If these guys are as good as reported - what would BB take in trade for Spikes and what could he get? 2014 2nd and 3rd? Or a 2014 1st? Depending on camps and preseason and injuries there could be a few desperate teams for a big bad MLB. Otherwise I think both Fletcher and Tarp are boarderline

DLs - I think the roster has enough youth depth and skill that I do not see these guys breaking in this year so PS for the best.

OL - same porblem as DLs.

CBs - same

WR - Moe is the one. Amendola and Edelman and Dobson are the only locks for me. Boyce and Slater are the two next most likely to stick. So Jenkins, Jones, and Moe are all on the bubble and I just don't know - and Moe will not make it to the PS.

I know everyone thinks I am crazy, but right now you have three guys on the roster that are only there for PS - Slater, Washington, and Cole. Of them, Slater is the best (and a captain) but the other two provide the hope of more production on the other 3 downs. I could see anyone or all three of these guys cut for players with better upside at 3 down roles. I think Slater is 'on the bubble' too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

He wont beat Edelman as a Punt returner, thats for sure. 24 Punt returns 50 yards.

Youch. That certainly is something Edelman has going for him. Still, it's hard to see what the end result will be. Mizzou could just have a terrible punt coverage unit. 

It will be an interesting battle.

Most UDFA's have an incredible fight to even sniff the roster. It's amazing that some people are predicting 3-4 of them making the 53 man roster and such. I wouldn't feel confident in predicting even one. 

Stll, this board has a love affair with 'underdogs,' and routinely crown players like Markell Carter and such like they are high value prospects with budding futures, as opposed to just taking a wait and see. And heaven hold us if a UDFA or low round kid actually gets a few reps in a game, people start inventing whole mythologies about them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

To me Moe looks like a possesion reciever, dont expect many big plays from him, his career longest was 68 yards back in 2010, his longest play this past year was 27 yards. Edelman faster, and at this point more experience, he'll have his work cut out for him to beat Edelman.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

To me Moe looks like a possesion reciever, dont expect many big plays from him, his career longest was 68 yards back in 2010, his longest play this past year was 27 yards. Edelman faster, and at this point more experience, he'll have his work cut out for him to beat Edelman.

For sure. The odds are stacked against him. As they are all UDFA players. Which one of these guys was such an irresistable talent that they were actually, um, drafted. 

Still Edelman had only a couple catches period in college, and he is the competition. For a better frame of reference, Wes's longest play from scrimmage at Texas Tech was also 68 yards, once, also waaaaay back in his junior season. So I don't really hold it against him. College level slot play is a different game from what NE does, which is hand tailoring routes around the slot to get them free in space. 

Not to mention, it's not like Edelman is a world beater. He has shown some good move sin the open field, but he also has a propensity to drop passes, and really hasn't caught the world on fire with his ability to get open, certainly not against the gold standard, which was Wes.

Still, if I had to handicap it, Moe has the a.) clearest path shooting for backup, b.) easiest transition as slot responsibilties don't change so drastically between college and the pros, and c.) skill-set that is most conducive to adoption of the UDFA players NE grabbed.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Texas Tech has Wes Welker listed as a Running Back on their website.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Texas Tech has Wes Welker listed as a Running Back on their website.

Ok.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Moe making the team all falls on where Boyce plays. If Boyce is an inside WR, no way the Pats keep 4 slot WRs. Donald Jones would make the team  by default. Maybe Edelman and Moe are competing for a spot. 

Why? He was considered a 3rd WR at best (hence why they resigned Edelman and tried to sign Sanders). His contract isn't that large, mostly with incentives and a very small signing bonus (lower then his contract hit for this year). He also has an injury history, so if Moe shows as much as Jones on the field the Pats could let Jones go at no additional cost and keep Moe/Boyce who both might be more durable and higher upside. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Why? He was considered a 3rd WR at best (hence why they resigned Edelman and tried to sign Sanders). His contract isn't that large, mostly with incentives and a very small signing bonus (lower then his contract hit for this year). He also has an injury history, so if Moe shows as much as Jones on the field the Pats could let Jones go at no additional cost and keep Moe/Boyce who both might be more durable and higher upside. 

Really. Outside of Amendola (because of his contract) and Dobson (only because of his value as a 2nd rounder) anyone in the current WR roster is completely expendable. 

It's an all out royal rumble. Jones, Jenkins, Holmes, Aiken, Thomkins, Moe are all JAG players to practice squad guys or straight up UDFAs. Boyce is a low round selection, totally cutable if they don't like it. Edelman and Slater are underperformers with good special teams upside, but again replaceable if any of that sorry cast can pull it together in camp.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Really. Outside of Amendola (because of his contract) and Dobson (only because of his value as a 2nd rounder) anyone in the current WR roster is completely expendable. 

It's an all out royal rumble. Jones, Jenkins, Holmes, Aiken, Thomkins, Moe are all JAG players to practice squad guys or straight up UDFAs. Boyce is a low round selection, totally cutable if they don't like it. Edelman and Slater are underperformers with good special teams upside, but again replaceable if any of that sorry cast can pull it together in camp.

I agree with what you said with exception of Slater. Slater is a true STer, one who's made the pro-bowls solely for St's. BB absolutely loves his STers so I can't see him letting go of his ST captian.

Short of that I do agree they all have to earn their spots. I think Edelman has a leg up on the rest because he already has a connection with Brady. Jenkins to me was always a long shot as a red zone threat and now with Dobson he becomes expendable. Boyce was an early 4th which is similar to a late 3rd so I think he'll be given a better shot then the rest. Moe, I just really like his upside and if he's as close to Welker as they say then I can see him and Brady instantly meshing and BB not wanting to risk losing him on waivers. Like I said with Jones if they cut him, according to nyjetscap.com, the Pats actually save 1mil on the cap so there is no reason to keep him on the team if the rooks prove up to the challenge. To me this might be one of the more interesting competitions to watch at camp

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

I agree with what you said with exception of Slater. Slater is a true STer, one who's made the pro-bowls solely for St's. BB absolutely loves his STers so I can't see him letting go of his ST captian.

Short of that I do agree they all have to earn their spots. I think Edelman has a leg up on the rest because he already has a connection with Brady. Jenkins to me was always a long shot as a red zone threat and now with Dobson he becomes expendable. Boyce was an early 4th which is similar to a late 3rd so I think he'll be given a better shot then the rest. Moe, I just really like his upside and if he's as close to Welker as they say then I can see him and Brady instantly meshing and BB not wanting to risk losing him on waivers. Like I said with Jones if they cut him, according to nyjetscap.com, the Pats actually save 1mil on the cap so there is no reason to keep him on the team if the rooks prove up to the challenge. To me this might be one of the more interesting competitions to watch at camp

Yeah, if I were to rank them out, it would probably look just like that. 

If I had to draw a line at who isn't competing for a job, it would stop at Amendola and Dobson.

Slater is (as you note) almost a push to me, but if a bunch of those kids took off, he would cut him to save the spot. Even if Moe, Boyce and Jones became some wierd (and unexpected) group of elite players, DA and Dobson are still totally safe because of the team's obligations to them. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

LOL. At any rate, this is a depressing conversation. This group is so thin and full of question marks, and coming into the offseason, many were hoping for concrete improvements over what they had the last few seasons. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Reading thread after thread praising Moe and in this thread just about everybody has him making the PS at the very least, I gotta say, if he's that good (and I hope he is) why didn't BB take him in the 7th round rather than risking some other team swooping in to grab him?  I realize he took guys on the D side of the ball in the 7th round, but don't you think it's quite possible that BB doesn't have him rated as highly as the fans on this board?

Sections
Shortcuts