#3 in the AFC Now?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

#3 in the AFC Now?

CBS's standings showed that the Bengals had fallen behind the Patriots when they just lost to the Chargers.

It showed the following:
    (1) Colts 14-0
    (2) Chargers 11-3
    (3) Patriots 9-5
    (4) Bengals 9-5

But the Bengals went 6-0 in their division.  Are there separate tiebreaker rules for playoff seeding than for division titles?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Re: #3 in the AFC Now?

not much to brag about with the way the pats are playing.3 seed or 4 you pick your poison in the playoffs.and if they continue the way they are playing they wont get past the first round.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AdrenalineJunkie. Show AdrenalineJunkie's posts

Division record only counts if the tie is within the division... outside the division, it comes it would be based on conference record, and if that is the same, then the next would be winning % against common opponents... Right now, NE & Bengal have the same conference record, so it may be the common opponents that may be the difference.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

If the Chargers lose their last 2 and the Pats win theirs would we get the #2 seed? That's the only seed that would mean anything to them at this point.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

The toughest 1st round opponent would be the Ravens. Let's hope we play the Bronco's in the 1st round. Shame about the Chargers win. A bye is very unlikely now although not impossible.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

Imagine if the Bengals blow their last two games and don't make the playoffs. They definitely would be the first 6-0 division record team to do that. I hope it happens..think it would be hilarious!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gridlocked. Show gridlocked's posts

If you change just two plays during the season the Pats are 11-3.

In Miami 4th and goal on the 6, a field goal there wins the game as opposed to going for it. Thats a coaching error in my book since they were up 10 at the time.

In Indy Maroney fumbles at the goal line on second down and we come away with nothing with what should have been a td.

Those were both road games the Pats could easily have won as they lost by only a point so in retrospect are they as 'bad' as we are pegging them? 

Clearly they were out coached and out played in the Saints game but other then that it seems as though maybe the team is coming around here somewhat and with Taylor and Morris back along with a rejuvenated Maroney and Seabass just blasting whoever is across from him the team has some light on the horizon. 

It certainly was a big positive for Moss to have a good game today.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

In Response to Re: #3 in the AFC Now?:
    [QUOTE]not much to brag about with the way the pats are playing.3 seed or 4 you pick your poison in the playoffs.and if they continue the way they are playing they wont get past the first round.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

Actually this team the last few weeks reminds me a bit of our 2001, 2003, 2004 Super Bowl teams. Many times it wasn't pretty but quite common seeing those 7-10 pt wins like he had back then. Plus hopefully the pass rush can continue the next few weeks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

Congrats on your win.  Looks like you'll take the division.  There is a very realistic scenario in which the Pats are the 3rd seed and host the Fins in the wildcard playoff game. 

-Pats beat Jax
    -Miami wins next two at home (houston and pitt)
    -Denver loses at Philly next week
    -Baltimore loses at Pitt next week.

Very possible.  Rubber match.  Good luck.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

In Response to #3 in the AFC Now?:
    [QUOTE]CBS's standings showed that the Bengals had fallen behind the Patriots when they just lost to the Chargers. It showed the following: (1) Colts 14-0 (2) Chargers 11-3 (3) Patriots 9-5 (4) Bengals 9-5 But the Bengals went 6-0 in their division.  Are there separate tiebreaker rules for playoff seeding than for division titles?
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Try this yahoo playoff scenario generator:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario;_ylt=AlaC5jzO8BU82sVPnb11xBcZc9AF

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

pats need to finish 3 thus avoiding colts in rd 2

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]Congrats on your win.  Looks like you'll take the division.  There is a very realistic scenario in which the Pats are the 3rd seed and host the Fins in the wildcard playoff game.  -Pats beat Jax -Miami wins next two at home (houston and pitt) -Denver loses at Philly next week -Baltimore loses at Pitt next week. Very possible.  Rubber match.  Good luck.
    Posted by oggieman[/QUOTE]

I'm very happy about the probability that a rematch would take place in our house.  Miami is not an easy place for the Patriots to play and as you might have seen, it's snowing now in the northeast and despite the Miami running attack I still like home field advantage.

Best of luck to you guys, too.  Things might have been easier had Green Bay upset Pittsburgh so that they'd be eliminated and Polamalu would be shut down.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

It dont matter who NE plays they need to do something about the 2nd half playcalling. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: #3 in the AFC Now? : I'm very happy about the probability that a rematch would take place in our house.  Miami is not an easy place for the Patriots to play and as you might have seen, it's snowing now in the northeast and despite the Miami running attack I still like home field advantage. Best of luck to you guys, too.  Things might have been easier had Green Bay upset Pittsburgh so that they'd be eliminated and Polamalu would be shut down.

Pitt winning today doesn't matter. Miami plays them in the final week and has to beat them.  I am glad Pitt won today because maybe they will get some confidence for next week's match against the Ravens--Miami absolutely needs Pitt to beat the ravens to get in as the wildcard. 

Otherwise, Miami needs New England to lose both games-and then Miami gets the division according to that playoff scenario generator at yahoo sports.  But the pats won't lose at home to jax. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: #3 in the AFC Now? : Pitt winning today doesn't matter. Miami plays them in the final week and has to beat them.  I am glad Pitt won today because maybe they will get some confidence for next week's match against the Ravens--Miami absolutely needs Pitt to beat the ravens to get in as the wildcard.  Otherwise, Miami needs New England to lose both games-and then Miami gets the division according to that playoff scenario generator at yahoo sports.  But the pats won't lose at home to jax. 
    Posted by oggieman[/QUOTE]

Nobody beats Belichick twice in one season, especially Chad Henne.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I'd rather play the Colts then the Chargers to be quite honest. The Pats have proven they have what it takes to beat Indy in their stadium...hopefully Baltimore or someone manages to knock off the Chargers, letting the Pats host the Championship game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]If you change just two plays during the season the Pats are 11-3. In Miami 4th and goal on the 6, a field goal there wins the game as opposed to going for it. Thats a coaching error in my book since they were up 10 at the time. In Indy Maroney fumbles at the goal line on second down and we come away with nothing with what should have been a td. Those were both road games the Pats could easily have won as they lost by only a point so in retrospect are they as 'bad' as we are pegging them?  Clearly they were out coached and out played in the Saints game but other then that it seems as though maybe the team is coming around here somewhat and with Taylor and Morris back along with a rejuvenated Maroney and Seabass just blasting whoever is across from him the team has some light on the horizon.  It certainly was a big positive for Moss to have a good game today.
    Posted by gridlocked[/QUOTE]

I think the pats are even with any team currently in the playoff hunt, and can win the AFC. 

Indy has had all the luck in the world this season, and gotten calls go their way like i've never seen.  There's six games they came from behind to win in which they got outplayed most of the games. 

I know we could what if everything, but I still like the Pats chances.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]I'd rather play the Colts then the Chargers to be quite honest. The Pats have proven they have what it takes to beat Indy in their stadium...hopefully Baltimore or someone manages to knock off the Chargers, letting the Pats host the Championship game.
    Posted by FishTaco64[/QUOTE]

I like this idea, but the Bengals screwed it up by p1ssing the game away in San Diego today with penalties and that d*mn Andre Caldwell fumble (plus having the corners play inside leverage on the Chargers when they had no timeouts left and had to move 50 yards).

I don't think it's worth losing one of the last two games of the season in order to get the #4 seed and go to Indianapolis first, and I don't think winning the AFC would be as satisfying if the Pats didn't have to face the Colts.

It's looking a lot like 2006, except the defense won't necessarily be tired at the end of the game and too slow to make plays so much as they won't know what to do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

[QUOTE]pats need to finish 3 thus avoiding colts in rd 2
    Posted by bruins8[/QUOTE] Why are you afraid of Indy

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

We are currently #3 IN afc.... AHEAD OF Cincinatti, because of our strength of victory as compared to Cinci....

That Being said...... I would prefer #4 seed....

Assuming we win our Playoff Home Game, we will have to travel across the country to play in Sandiego.....  Travel to Indy would be much easier....

Just my thoughts.......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'd rather see the Pats as a #3 seed vs. a #4 seed.  #2 San Diego is playing pretty well but Indy is the biggest threat to the Patriots' chances.

The bye week teams get an extra week to rest up, and it really helps.  As a rule, give the bye week team a couple of extra points advantage in their first playoff game.  This NFL gift disappears by the AFC championship game.  I'd rather have the Pats play San Diego first, then Indy second, versus Indy first and San Diego second, because it's the easiest way through.  My numbers say that the Pats aren't that much better than the other division winners.

In general, the #5 seed is probably going to be just a bit better than the #6 seed.  Right now the Ravens are really hot and Denver is turning into a big wussy that can't beat Oakland, but we'll have to wait and see who wants to be the wildcards.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: #3 in the AFC Now? : Why are you afraid of Indy
    Posted by patriots44[/QUOTE]

Same question I have. The SB will have to go through them anyway. Does it matter when NE plays Indy?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I think that the Bengals own the tie-breaker with the Pats. 

I don't want to see the Pats land the 3rd seed. If they do, that means that they'll have to play and beat San Diego on the road, if they want another shot at the Colts.

Remember how 2006 turned out? Thanks to the Pats, the Colts avoided the Chargers. The Patriots were the only good team that Indy had to beat, on their way to that tainted championship of theirs.

I would much rather see the Pats get the 4th seed. That way, the Colts would have to beat both the Pats and Chargers to get to the SB.

Anybody, but the Indianapolis Colts.    

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: #3 in the AFC Now? : Why are you afraid of Indy
    Posted by patriots44[/QUOTE]
    Nfl.com in the Conference Standings has the Pats as #3.
     I think that the Pats are not afraid of any team. They are professional athletes and Know theirs and opponents abilities
    They can beat the colts. They have to play the whole game as if they were in a slim lead not 21 Pts. They have lost a couple of games with big leads. The key , in my opinion to beating the colts is to get to Manning.
     J.Addai is not going to run for 300 yds and 4-5  T.D.'s.
     So go all out and attack the QB like the Giants did against the Pats. Hit hin on every opportunity. I would rush 6 men on each passing down and have Guyton shadow J. Addai for Screens and McGowan on D.Clark. Play deep cover on Wayne. Sooner, the Pats will break through.

Go Pats

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

In Response to #3 in the AFC Now?:
    [QUOTE]CBS's standings showed that the Bengals had fallen behind the Patriots when they just lost to the Chargers. It showed the following: (1) Colts 14-0 (2) Chargers 11-3 (3) Patriots 9-5 (4) Bengals 9-5 But the Bengals went 6-0 in their division.  Are there separate tiebreaker rules for playoff seeding than for division titles?
    The Pats are listed as # 3 on NFL.com.

WHY???
    Go Pats