3 Must Sign Patriot Free Agents - How?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

3 Must Sign Patriot Free Agents - How?

Ok so we have 3 people on our team this year that have really made the difference and our key reasons why we are going to the AFC Championship game.  All are FA's and will command sizeable money.  Who do we keep?  How can we keep them? 

1.  Aqib Talib - Best corner we've had since Ty Law and has completely helped to reshape this D.  Remember when teams would pass for 500 yards a game on us every week?  Never seems to happen when he's there and not only is he making the Probowl this year, he's arguably been the best corner in the league.

2.  Julian Edleman - He didn't get the nickname "Minitron" as a joke.  He's been that good, all year.  He's everything that Wes Welker was for us, and everything we hoped Danny Amendola would be.  He plays with as much intensity as I've seen from a WR, and he's become Mr. Reliable when we need to move the chains.  All this, and he returns punts. 

3.  LeGarrette Blount - While he hasn't played like this all year, it could be argued it's only because he hasn't been game planned around like this all year.  When asked to perform though and given the rock, more often than not he has responded extremely positively.  250lbs with that kind of speed does not come all that often.  Watching him smash though people and then run away from them has left me absolutely giddy these last few games, and has changed the dynamic of this team into one that can impose their wills on opponents and smash them in the mouth.  I'm absolutely loving it, and I'm absolutely loving Blount!

I want to see these 3 players in Patriots jerseys next year.  I'm just not sure if it's going to happen.  What say you?  Would love to hear from our esteeemed number crunching bean counting members on if this is realistic or not. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inokea4coolaid. Show Inokea4coolaid's posts

Re: 3 Must Sign Patriot Free Agents - How?

I would agree, but not at all costs. If the decisions are cap healthy, sure, why not? Also, players like Gregory and Sopoaga gotta go if they can find better depth at those positions.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Well that's the question, it could very well not be that cap friendly at which point we need to cut elsewhere to keep this level of production.  Talib is going to command big, BIG, dollars.  Edleman couldn't be in a better position than right now and is going to have his share of suitors as well.  Obrien will probably take a strong run at him.  And Blount?   Any team with a questionable running game has got to be drooling thinking about him. 

I like Gregory just not as a starter.  I think he's the kind of guy you keep for depth and special circumstances/schemes.  Sopoaga is being outplayed by Siliga and Jones, who are both playing well above expectations.  So he's got to go. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Blount and Talib are 2 guys I would look long and hard at giving a multi million dollar deal. For reasons beyond the field.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Blount shouldn't get a HUGE deal. RBs are a dime a dozen. We can draft someone. Ridely has looked a lot better to, getting back to his 2012 self. dont over pay at that position

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Blount and Talib are 2 guys I would look long and hard at giving a multi million dollar deal. For reasons beyond the field.

[/QUOTE]

+1, might even be alright with letting go of Talib because of health issues. Feel for the guy but have to wonder with all the lower body issues how long he is for the league. Great talent but long term big money is a major risk with him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Blount shouldn't get a HUGE deal. RBs are a dime a dozen. We can draft someone. Ridely has looked a lot better to, getting back to his 2012 self. dont over pay at that position

[/QUOTE]

Of the 3 I listed, Blount is the least necessary signing simply because of the depth at the position.  However, 250lb backs with 210lb level speed do not grow on trees, and there is the Ridley fumble factor to consider.  I'd really like to know what's going through Blounts head?  Is he really happy sharing the rock as much as he is?  Or does he want to be a one man show on a team that will pay him accordingly.  A lot to consider for him, especially depending on our SB situation.  Having a ring or getting close to one can play into decision. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Of the 3 I listed, Blount is the least necessary signing simply because of the depth at the position.  However, 250lb backs with 210lb level speed do not grow on trees, and there is the Ridley fumble factor to consider.  I'd really like to know what's going through Blounts head?  Is he really happy sharing the rock as much as he is?  Or does he want to be a one man show on a team that will pay him accordingly.  A lot to consider for him, especially depending on our SB situation.  Having a ring or getting close to one can play into decision. 

[/QUOTE]

Blount has been getting 20 + carries a game... that's not sharing the load that's starter type load. we have just turned into the ground and pound crew

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1, might even be alright with letting go of Talib because of health issues. Feel for the guy but have to wonder with all the lower body issues how long he is for the league. Great talent but long term big money is a major risk with him.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I hate to lose a top end talent level corner for all the trouble we have had filling the position, but history of hip injury + more then 1 red flag off field issues. I just don't think he will end up being worth the risk. Plus, Dennard and Ryan look like a good 1-2 punch in my book. 

Blount is probably playing himself into a big contract that we KNOW BB will not match. We know the value placed on RB's in this system. the Dillion extension came back and bit us and he was the only time we paid a RB.(He got fat after his ring. Plus after a 10 year career running into 8 in the box we ran him for 1,600 yards) 

I think there is a better chance Ridley comes back as he might not command the money Blount will after the last 3 games. And to be honest I am ok with that. I think Ridley is a good RB.

Deal could be worth $25 million over five years Updated: April 12, 2005, 11:59 AM ET By John Clayton | ESPN.com

To no one's surprise, Corey Dillon's fresh start with the New England Patriots ended up with a reward.

Corey Dillon 
    Running Back
    New England Patriots
        2004 SEASON STATISTICS Rush Yds TD Rec Yds TD 345 1635 12 15 103 1

Dillon, who rushed for 1,635 yards in his first season with the Super Bowl champion Patriots, agreed to a contract extension that could keep him a Patriot for the remainder of his career. The restructuring of the deal guarantees that he will make $10 million the next two seasons, and if the Patriots pick up the option in 2007, he might make $25 million over the next five years.

Dillon, 30, was entering the final year of his contract and was scheduled to make $3.95 million. By reaching this agreement, the Patriots will lower Dillon's current cap number of $4.495 million and give them more room to sign free agents and their draft choices. Entering Monday, the Patriots were only $619,000 under the salary cap.

"They stepped up and took care of him, even though he's on the wrong side of 30," agent Steve Feldman said. "This deal allows him to end his career as a Patriot."

In many ways, this deal goes against NFL traditions. Dillon will be 31 in October, and running backs tend to take pay cuts in their 30s. It happened to  Jerome Bettis  of the Steelers and former Titan  Eddie George  last season.

For the Patriots to step up and reward Dillon at his age is significant, though Dillon shows no signs of slowing down now that he's left his 20s. He rushed for more than 1,000 yards in each of his first six season with the Bengals before suffering injuries in 2003.

He lobbied to be traded to a winning team and got his wish before last season, when the Patriots swapped a second-round draft pick for Dillon to bolster their ground game.

He responded by rushing for a career-high and team-best 1,635 yards, with 12 touchdowns. Dillon had 75 yards on 18 carries, including a 2-yard scoring run, in the Super Bowl victory.

After the game, he said all he needed was the right situation to bring out the best in him.

"God put me in a good place and surrounded me with good people. This whole thing has been a true blessing. ... This is what it is all about," Dillon said.

The Bengals built their struggling franchise around Dillon in the 1990s, and he became one of only four players in NFL history to run for 1,000 yards in each of his first six seasons. The groin injury limited him to 11 starts and 541 yards in 2003.

The Bengals tired of his complaining about not getting the ball enough, and dealt him. To join the Patriots, Dillon restructured the last two years of his contract, softening the their salary cap hit for 2004.

Last season was Dillon's best, topping his best season by 200 yards. His presence allowed quarterback Tom Brady to work more play-action passes and add a yard to his yard-per-completion numbers and open up more passing routes downfield.

Dillon, who turns 31 in October, was a second-round pick out of Washington in 1997. He broke Jim Brown's rookie record by running for 246 yards against Tennessee.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Yeah, I hate to lose a top end talent level corner for all the trouble we have had filling the position, but history of hip injury + more then 1 red flag off field issues. I just don't think he will end up being worth the risk. Plus, Dennard and Ryan look like a good 1-2 punch in my book. 

Blount is probably playing himself into a big contract that we KNOW BB will not match. We know the value placed on RB's in this system. the Dillion extension came back and bit us and he was the only time we paid a RB.(He got fat after his ring. Plus after a 10 year career running into 8 in the box we ran him for 1,600 yards) 

I think there is a better chance Ridley comes back as he might not command the money Blount will after the last 3 games. And to be honest I am ok with that. I think Ridley is a good RB.

[/QUOTE]

I'm looking at the BJGE deal a couple years back and I think that's about where BB draws the line for compliment backs. If Blount will take a 2-3yr deal in the range of 6-8mil with only 3mil guaranteed to rebuild his image I think BB would love to have him back but anything more and I think BB will thank him for this year and walk away

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Talib & Edleman and will get paid and hopefully it's the Pats who pay them. I think Blount will be a little easier to sign.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Talib - 4 yrs 22 million, 12 guaranteed, then 1m bonus for no conduct issues, 500k for a pro-bowl and 500k each game he plays in over 12. Chance to be a 10m a year CB if he can play at a pro-bowl level for 16 healthy games and never be in trouble.

Edelman - 6 yrs 27 million, 12 guaranteed (more than the 8 Amendola was given). It doesn't make sense to cut Amendola and lose 2m next year than just pay him 3m (I think) but after that he has next to nothing guaranteed. So pay Edelman 2m next year and then like 5/25 after that when Danny can restructure a new deal for 2-4m a year, depending on his 2014 season, or be sent on his way.

Blount - Agree with everyone who says 2-3 year deal in the 6-9 million range is fair. Next year look for more of a 40-40-20 split in snaps between Blount-Ridley and Vareen, with Shane also catching 4-5 passes a game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Talib - 4 yrs 22 million, 12 guaranteed, then 1m bonus for no conduct issues, 500k for a pro-bowl and 500k each game he plays in over 12. Chance to be a 10m a year CB if he can play at a pro-bowl level for 16 healthy games and never be in trouble.

Edelman - 6 yrs 27 million, 12 guaranteed (more than the 8 Amendola was given). It doesn't make sense to cut Amendola and lose 2m next year than just pay him 3m (I think) but after that he has next to nothing guaranteed. So pay Edelman 2m next year and then like 5/25 after that when Danny can restructure a new deal for 2-4m a year, depending on his 2014 season, or be sent on his way.

Blount - Agree with everyone who says 2-3 year deal in the 6-9 million range is fair. Next year look for more of a 40-40-20 split in snaps between Blount-Ridley and Vareen, with Shane also catching 4-5 passes a game.

[/QUOTE]

That might be close to what Talibe will get but I don't think that's what we should pay him. That's a lot of money to tie up into him when we have Ryan and Dennard and already have so much invested in Arrington. It's a fairly sizable gamble. If we were going to invest that much I'd rather get another #2 CB type of vet and have a rotation of Dennard, Ryan, and them. Then invest the rest of the funds into a SS.

I love Edelamn but if that is what it takes then I'll pass. Edelman has been great this year but one year doesn't make a career and he still needs to prove this years health wasn't a fluke. That again is a lot of money tied up between two players (Edelman and Amendola) when you have no clue how many games each will play year in and year out. I'd give that type of money to a more durable player like a Sanders (though I don't think his asking price would be that high) then into Edelman. For short term health prove it deal or half the guarantee I'd be on board with Edelman but not for that much.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Can't sign all three, I'm sure Edelman and Talib will get the deal, but Blount is playing for a contract with another team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Wilfork, Mayo and Arrington will be taking huge pay cuts.  That so free up some cash. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wilfork, Mayo and Arrington will be taking huge pay cuts.  That so free up some cash. 

[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere they can cut Arrington after 2014 or 2015 i forget with no dead money. I dont know if its true but if thats the case and Ryan keeps progressing, cut #25

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere they can cut Arrington after 2014 or 2015 i forget with no dead money. I dont know if its true but if thats the case and Ryan keeps progressing, cut #25

[/QUOTE]

Nope, nearly 5 million in dead momey

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wilfork, Soap and Gregory are more likely.

Soap and Gregory get you 5 mill, Vince gets you 8.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

oops nevermind then, guy on the radio was wrong... restructure him then

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

oops nevermind then, guy on the radio was wrong... restructure him then

[/QUOTE]

He has no reason to agree. =D

Hernandez's contract comes off the books after next season. The Pats will have 40 million of spending cash.

Sections
Shortcuts