3 Open Roster Spots - could fill as soon as today

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

3 Open Roster Spots - could fill as soon as today

By Mike Reiss

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4746943/anticipating-roster-moves-with-3-spots

The Patriots have three open spots on their 90-man roster, and the expectation is that they will be filled (probably as early as today).

Here are the areas that look like they could use the biggest boost:

1. Offensive line. While Dan Connolly, Marcus Cannon and Markus Zusevics looked like they were getting closer to returns last week, an ankle injury sustained Friday by second-unit right tackle R.J. Mattes might require some reinforcements. Overall, could see multiple moves at this position -- interior and tackle.

2. Defensive tackle. Quality of depth behind starters Vince Wilfork and Tommy Kelly remains a question mark.

3. Wide receiver. With just 10 on the roster, that's a bit light compared to the rest of the NFL. But with so many youngsters, getting them game repetitions remains imperative. So it's a balance when considering adding at receiver.

4. Cornerback. The returns of Alfonzo Dennard and Ras-I Dowling would help, and they added LeQuan Lewis late last week, but depth remains thin when two of the top four projected players aren't practicing.

5. Quarterback. Seems unlikely the team would bring in a fourth signal-caller at this point, but No. 3 quarterback Tim Tebow struggled Friday in three primary areas quarterbacks are evaluated -- accuracy, decision-making and moving the offense/scoring points.

--------------------------

1 offensive lineman

1 Defensive tackle

1 CB

these are my thoughts.  Discuss

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: 3 Open Roster Spots - could fill as soon as today

In response to APpats21's comment:

Well aren't the first round of cuts soon? I feel like they won't pick up all 3 right now. Maybe an Olineman. But they'll prob wait till the first wave of cuts and see if they can pick anyone up that's worth it.

I disagree, they'll bring three guys in and just hammer them this week during practice, then cut them by Saturday. We need our punching bags for practice - if they're lucky they'll get an injury and spend the year on the ir, or get a settlement.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Lindell, Rian

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

The first official cutdown is not until 4pm, Tuesday, August 27 when they have to cut down to 75 players. After that, 6pm, Saturday, August 31 they have to be down to 53 players and make all the PUP decisions (guys like Gronk and Armstead). 

I would think it would tough to bring a guy in today and have him playing on Thursday, but you still have four days after that to evulate before the first cut down.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/06/2013-2014-nfl-calendar/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

On thing I did not know is that Top 51 rule will be expiring before the start of this season meaning all 53 roster players and your practice squad will have to fit under the salary cap. In the past, the Patriots have been known to pay more to their practice squad players:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000059339/article/new-england-patriots-have-toppaid-nfl-practice-squad

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

first open slot - a 3rd string QB

2nd - a 3rd string QB

3rd - a 3rd string QB

Take some rookie that can be placed on the practice squad at the end of the cuts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com

The Patriots announced the release of linebacker A.J. Edds, offensive lineman R.J. Mattes and defensive lineman Scott Vallone.

All were longshots to make the roster.

The Patriots now have six open roster spots on their 90-man roster.

Of the three players released, Mattes injured his ankle in Friday's preseason win over the Buccaneers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

Lindell, Rian

Did buffalo cut Lindell? Man, he would be a great signing. Very under-rated kicker. Cound give Ghost a serious run for his money.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

By Mike Reiss

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4746943/anticipating-roster-moves-with-3-spots

The Patriots have three open spots on their 90-man roster, and the expectation is that they will be filled (probably as early as today).

1. Offensive line. While Dan Connolly, Marcus Cannon and Markus Zusevics looked like they were getting closer to returns last week, an ankle injury sustained Friday by second-unit right tackle R.J. Mattes might require some reinforcements. Overall, could see multiple moves at this position -- interior and tackle.

2. Defensive tackle. Quality of depth behind starters Vince Wilfork and Tommy Kelly remains a question mark.

3. Wide receiver. With just 10 on the roster, that's a bit light compared to the rest of the NFL. But with so many youngsters, getting them game repetitions remains imperative. So it's a balance when considering adding at receiver.

4. Cornerback. The returns of Alfonzo Dennard and Ras-I Dowling would help, and they added LeQuan Lewis late last week, but depth remains thin when two of the top four projected players aren't practicing.

5. Quarterback. Seems unlikely the team would bring in a fourth signal-caller at this point, but No. 3 quarterback Tim Tebow struggled Friday in three primary areas quarterbacks are evaluated -- accuracy, decision-making and moving the offense/scoring points.

1 offensive lineman

1 Defensive tackle

1 CB

OL: Strong unit. No worries here.

QB: Brady is Brady. Mallett looks like a backup at best. Tebow is an embarrassment. I felt sorry for him, he was that bad vs TB. Mallett is a RFA in 2014. Pats need a real developmental QB that will eventually replace Brady.

DT: I'm not sold on Kelly. He's been terrible against the run. Vallone was cut and that's a shame. Forston has looked good.

DB: If Talib and Dennard are healthy this could be a decent unit.

RB: No worries.

WR: Better than last season. BB actually got it right here. Prior to 2013, Bellichick's WR draft record was poor at best. Dobson, Bryce, and UDFA Thompkins look like keepers. When healthy, Amendola > Welker - better hands, better speed, can effectively run more deep routes.

4-3 DE: RDE Jones stays healthy, all is well on that side. Ninkovich is an over achiever. I'd rather see the team move to a 3-4.

DT: Wilfork is 31. If his snap counts don't get lower, he might not hold up over the course of the season. Kelly is 32 and gets moved in the running game. He might be better as a 3-4 LDE. I like Forston. He looked good vs TB playing NT in 3-4 sets. I was disappointed they cut Vallone.

LBs: Collins can play. So can Hightower. With Mayo and Spikes, it would be a shame if this team continues using the 4-3 as its base. LB talent >>> D-line talent.

TE: Sudfeld's great senior season at Nevada went unoticed. Great UDFA find. Fells is a good blocker. Hoo-man is more FB than TE. I'm hoping Bellichick doesn't rush Gronk back like he did last year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I would like to see someone brought in for each of CB, OL, and DL. Even if they don't make the team, bringing someone in for a minimum level contract doesn't hurt. Brings competition and they could always produce. If the first cutdowns aren't until the 27th then let's go. I am worried about D line and CB depth.

Come on if you think you can take us on
    You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

In response to Homecheese's comment:

Lindell, Rian

Did buffalo cut Lindell? Man, he would be a great signing. Very under-rated kicker. Cound give Ghost a serious run for his money.

Yes they just released him today. I think he'd be a good signing since he has a better FG % over the last 4 or 5 years than Ghost has. Ghost has the better career % but since his injury he hasn't really been the same.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com

The Patriots announced the release of linebacker A.J. Edds, offensive lineman R.J. Mattes and defensive lineman Scott Vallone.

All were longshots to make the roster.

The Patriots now have six open roster spots on their 90-man roster.

Of the three players released, Mattes injured his ankle in Friday's preseason win over the Buccaneers.

Thanks for the update Getzo!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Yessir... I wonder if they will sign anyone now.  APpats21 made a good point about the cuts coming up regardless.  But I think Lindell and a OL and DL would be a good idea at this point. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I trust Gostkowski more then Lindell.  Lindell % was higher last season but you gotta look at the FG's attempted and the distances made. 

Bring him in for a look?  Maybe, but don't bring him in to get in Gostkowski's head.  Not a good thing for a kicker.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I trust Gostkowski more then Lindell.  Lindell % was higher last season but you gotta look at the FG's attempted and the distances made. 

Bring him in for a look?  Maybe, but don't bring him in to get in Gostkowski's head.  Not a good thing for a kicker.

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

So you're Pro Gost, right now?  I am sure you wrote about this in the Gost thread Yes/No....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

So you're Pro Gost, right now?  I am sure you wrote about this in the Gost thread Yes/No....

I think Gostkowski is the best available, yes.    Do I trust him?  No!  Unless you can find someone better then they gotta work with Gostkowski.  I don't think Lindell is a better kicker, not now.  He certainly doesn't have the leg for distance any longer at 36 years old, which is the reason he was cut. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

I would be down for Lindell or any veteran who has a good resume. Absolutely. He's only 32 or 33 years old and has kicked in a tough spot in Buffalo, so I say bring him in, at the very least to rattle Gost's cage.

He is 36 years old.  For someone who brags all day long about doing his homework, you sure are wrong a lot, LOL!   Start doing your homework you fraud!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

In response to CubanPete's comment:

By Mike Reiss

1 offensive lineman

1 Defensive tackle

1 CB

OL: Strong unit. No worries here.

QB: Brady is Brady. Mallett looks like a backup at best. Tebow is an embarrassment. I felt sorry for him, he was that bad vs TB. Mallett is a RFA in 2014. Pats need a real developmental QB that will eventually replace Brady.

DT: I'm not sold on Kelly. He's been terrible against the run. Vallone was cut and that's a shame. Forston has looked good.

DB: If Talib and Dennard are healthy this could be a decent unit.

RB: No worries.

WR: Better than last season. BB actually got it right here. Prior to 2013, Bellichick's WR draft record was poor at best. Dobson, Bryce, and UDFA Thompkins look like keepers. When healthy, Amendola > Welker - better hands, better speed, can effectively run more deep routes.

4-3 DE: RDE Jones stays healthy, all is well on that side. Ninkovich is an over achiever. I'd rather see the team move to a 3-4.

DT: Wilfork is 31. If his snap counts don't get lower, he might not hold up over the course of the season. Kelly is 32 and gets moved in the running game. He might be better as a 3-4 LDE. I like Forston. He looked good vs TB playing NT in 3-4 sets. I was disappointed they cut Vallone.

LBs: Collins can play. So can Hightower. With Mayo and Spikes, it would be a shame if this team continues using the 4-3 as its base. LB talent >>> D-line talent.

TE: Sudfeld's great senior season at Nevada went unoticed. Great UDFA find. Fells is a good blocker. Hoo-man is more FB than TE. I'm hoping Bellichick doesn't rush Gronk back like he did last year.

Kelly has looked great...Vallone and Fortson have real trouble in stopping the run....this is why Vallone was jettisoned and why they have to pick up a vet, if possible, when teams start making cuts, or at least a more talented large body who could step into a DL rotation, even if Armstead eventually shows up.

Sections
Shortcuts