3-way AFC Tie

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LuvsThosePats. Show LuvsThosePats's posts

3-way AFC Tie

What happens if there's a 3-way tie atop the AFC after the season?  It is possible that the Pats, Broncos, and Texans could all finish 13-3 (if Pats and Broncos win out and Houston drops another game).  The head-to-head tiebreakers go out the window, so what does the seeding end up being?  Does anyone know?  Has anyone tried to figure this out?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

Re: 3-way AFC Tie

In response to LuvsThosePats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

What happens if there's a 3-way tie atop the AFC after the season?  It is possible that the Pats, Broncos, and Texans could all finish 13-3 (if Pats and Broncos win out and Houston drops another game).  The head-to-head tiebreakers go out the window, so what does the seeding end up being?  Does anyone know?  Has anyone tried to figure this out?

[/QUOTE]

If the game Texans lose is to the Colts, then the Pats get the #1 seed because of conference record.  If the game they lose is to the Vikings, then I think Denver is eliminated because of conference record and then the Pats win because of head to head against Houston -- but I am not sure.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

In response to sheldong's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If the game Texans lose is to the Colts, then the Pats get the #1 seed because of conference record.  If the game they lose is to the Vikings, then I think Denver is eliminated because of conference record and then the Pats win because of head to head against Houston -- but I am not sure.

[/QUOTE]

I was wrong.  It would be the Pats regardless because the Pats would have beaten both other clubs.  It doesn't matter that the Texans and Broncos didn't play each other because if they had, the best that one of them could have had was 1-1 vs the Pats 2-0 in head to head competition.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We're the number 1 seed if we win out and Houston loses one. We own the tie breaker against both teams and we've only lost 1 game to an AFC opponent (Ravens) while the other two came from NFC teams (Cards and Hawks). 

Houston has only lost 1, too, but to us, so we're in the driver's seat. Denver lost two to the AFC (Us and the Texans). 

If the season ended today with the records tied, Pats would be the number 1 seed with Houston the number 2. Denver 3 and Ravens four, with a chance of hosting the Ravens in the AFCDR. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Head-to-head is still the first tie breaker if one team has beaten both other teams.  If the tie is between the Pats, Texans, and Broncos, the Pats swept the other 2 teams.  Texans would get the 2 seed because they beat the Broncos in Week 3.  If the Ravens are one of the other teams, no team would have a head-to-head sweep, so it would come down to best conference record; Ravens would be eliminated, then the tie-breaking procedures would start over for the remaining 2 teams, and the Pats would again have the advantage based on head-to-head.

3-way tie breaker rules:

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants. (doesn't apply because all 3 teams would be from different divisions)
    2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    5. Strength of victory.
    6. Strength of schedule.
    7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    9. Best net points in conference games.
    10. Best net points in all games.
    11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    12. Coin toss

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

There ain't gonna be a tie after the Pats trounce everyone in January

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

3 way tie goes to Conference record...right now Pats are best at 10-1 against AFC so they would get 1 seed....

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

I believe if the 3 teams finish 13-3, Pats would get the #1 seed because the Pats already beat them in head-to-head matchups.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

We have only 1 loss in the conference. In a three way head to head is below conference record in tiebreakers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LuvsThosePats. Show LuvsThosePats's posts

It's certainly strange to think that your team could go 13-3 and not get a bye, but that could very well happen this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

[QUOTE]

It's certainly strange to think that your team could go 13-3 and not get a bye, but that could very well happen this year.

[/QUOTE]

Are you referring to the Broncos? If the Pats go 13-3 they get a bye no matter what.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I think the broncos win out which means we have to in out as well.   The texans may still drop 1   I think we drop one as well and get the #2 seed

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to dmpc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ccnsd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Are you referring to the Broncos? If the Pats go 13-3 they get a bye no matter what.

[/QUOTE]

The Broncos bye will come after they lose their first playoff game.

[/QUOTE]

Haha I love it

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Texans will lose all 3 is my prediction.

5 of their wins are against three of the worst teams in the NFL.

They have been lucky in comeback wins in 3 of the previous 4 including the Jags.

IMHO Luck will torch them and Adrian will run all around them.

Unlike the experts I do not believe they are as good as many think.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]

What happens if there's a 3-way tie atop the AFC after the season?  It is possible that the Pats, Broncos, and Texans could all finish 13-3  

[/QUOTE]

If so Patriots are number one seed

Sections
Shortcuts