3 Year Rebuilding Process = Not a Bad Thing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

3 Year Rebuilding Process = Not a Bad Thing

Most people hear the word “rebuilding” and cringe.  However, I think N.E. is in the midst of a 3 year rebuilding process and will remain competitive throughout the process.  Last year’s draft landed us some solid players, maybe not difference makers but real solid contributors none the less.  I think we have achieved the same result with this year’s draft.  Next year we will have four picks in the first two rounds and will be able to participate in a strong free agent class (all those restrict free agents becoming unrestricted).  The Pats made an intelligent decision by locking up their own free agents this year instead of partaking in a weak free agent class.  This course of rebuild would seem to be a blueprint for building a dynasty: acquiring a base of solid role players and adding veteran leadership and difference makers through free agency.     I think we will be competitive this year and will be playoff contenders.  2011 will be the year when we have all of our pieces in place and will able to reassert ourselves as top dog in the AFC East, making a run at another dynasty.    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Re: 3 Year Rebuilding Process = Not a Bad Thing

I agree 100%. This Pats team is built for the long hall. I'm very excited to see what happens in the next few years with all the new additions. The defense will be great in 2-3 years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to 3 Year Rebuilding Process = Not a Bad Thing:
    Most people hear the word “rebuilding” and cringe.   However, I think N.E. is in the midst of a 3 year rebuilding process and will remain competitive throughout the process.   Last year’s draft landed us some solid players, maybe not difference makers but real solid contributors none the less.   I think we have achieved the same result with this year’s draft.   Next year we will have four picks in the first two rounds and will be able to participate in a strong free agent class (all those restrict free agents becoming unrestricted).   The Pats made an intelligent decision by locking up their own free agents this year instead of partaking in a weak free agent class.   This course of rebuild would seem to be a blueprint for building a dynasty: acquiring a base of solid role players and adding veteran leadership and difference makers through free agency. I think we will be competitive this year and will be playoff contenders.   2011 will be the year when we have all of our pieces in place and will able to reassert ourselves as top dog in the AFC East, making a run at another dynasty.     
    Posted by ZachRudy

Well said. I still don't see a clear-cut favorite in the AFC so I wouldn't sell the Patriots short of winning a Super Bowl this year. I think Bill knows we're a much more offensive team than defensive and with that in mind, I think we did a good job of filling the holes from last year. We lost 3-4 games last year where one touchdown instead of a field goal would have resulted in a win. We had absolutely zero creativity in the red zone. Part of that may be an inexperienced coordinator but let's be realistic here, we didn't have any chemistry either. I remember every red zone possession looking just atrocious. I think with Alge, we're going to get much better running lanes for our backs, who are still serviceable but not long-term solutions obviously. I think Gronk's going to be that physical target Brady's needed for a long, long time. Edelman will be fine. Anything from Tate would be great at this point.  Holt's still serviceable and you can count on him running crisp, precise routes. Moss is moss, except with both shoulders this time. Wes coming back in November and contributing is an added bonus but we can't expect too much of the old Wes until at least 2011, if that even, sadly. Brady, let's not forget, has a full year under his belt now after his injury. Look at how that helped Carson Palmer...

Not to mention, we grabbed the best punter who's definitely going to give some more room for the defense to work. Last year, we had some of the worst field position I've seen in years from the Patriots.

AFC East has gotten more competitive, yes, but I think the Jets will take a downturn. Very rarely does a rookie quarterback have a decent year (which to me wasn't even that decent) and then follow it up with an even better year. The league adjusts extremely fast and he'll struggle. L.T. replacing Thomas Jones is moronic in my eyes. That will bite them in the butt soon enough. Jason Taylor is running on fumes. I think from a scheme standpoint, we're much better equipped to handle the Jets this year than last year. I have much more respect for the Dolphins than I do for the Jets. If Henne continue his maturation, they're someone to watch going forward.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In Response to Re: 3 Year Rebuilding Process = Not a Bad Thing:
    AFC East has gotten more competitive, yes, but I think the Jets will take a downturn. Very rarely does a rookie quarterback have a decent year (which to me wasn't even that decent) and then follow it up with an even better year. The league adjusts extremely fast and he'll struggle. L.T. replacing Thomas Jones is moronic in my eyes. That will bite them in the butt soon enough. Jason Taylor is running on fumes. I think from a scheme standpoint, we're much better equipped to handle the Jets this year than last year. I have much more respect for the Dolphins than I do for the Jets. If Henne continue his maturation, they're someone to watch going forward.
    Posted by apdynasty23

I agree, the Jets won't be as good as everyone is expecting them to be. Also, I think it's this year or bust for them. They traded players and picks for the big names they got, but most of them have their contracts up or are on the verge of retiring. While the Pats are stock piling draft picks and getting younger, the Jets are about to lose their entire team. Most of the players are thier big name players (Revis is one of them) that are going to be free agents and in search of a new contract. I don't think the Jets are built for the long haul.

You're right on chemistry too. The Pats definitely lacked it last year. In years past I used to get excited for the team to be in the red zone. Last year I was biting my nails afraid there would be a turnover or we'd have to watch another failed attempt at a TD. They started to put it together at the end of the year, but I think we'll see a whole new attitude on the Pats this year. A couple bad eggs have been let loose and we have a batch of excited rookies coming in and vets with heart.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

AP - I'd say you are right.  There is no CLEAR favorite in the AFC.  NE will always be at the top in a down year or not.  I think SD is down.  Indy did not prove to be world beaters at any time during last year's season. 

The jets will be interesting, because their additions would appear to be positive but have also surprisingly let a couple go.  Will there be chemistry there?  I think the phins look like they will be better and I think their QB may have a coming out year. 

Ravens appear to be the class of the North, but I think the Bengals will want to have something to say about that. 

Houston again will play the "we want in role".  Don't know what to make of Tennessee. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Underdoggg, once Tennessee got rid of Collins and started Young they had a nice little streak going. Chris Johnson has been complaining about them letting Crumpler go but that shouldn't kill the entire team. I think they have a shot at making the playoffs, but overall Indy and Houston are better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: 3 Year Rebuilding Process = Not a Bad Thing:
    AP - I'd say you are right.  There is no CLEAR favorite in the AFC.  NE will always be at the top in a down year or not.  I think SD is down.  Indy did not prove to be world beaters at any time during last year's season.  The jets will be interesting, because their additions would appear to be positive but have also surprisingly let a couple go.  Will there be chemistry there?  I think the phins look like they will be better and I think their QB may have a coming out year.  Ravens appear to be the class of the North, but I think the Bengals will want to have something to say about that.  Houston again will play the "we want in role".  Don't know what to make of Tennessee. 
    Posted by underdoggg

SD is down.

What do you see in the Indy schedule so far? I haven't seen theirs yet but I know New England got dealt a ridiculous one!

Ravens are the best team from the outset but every contender is just an injury away so who really knows.

Houston, to me, is the Phoenix Suns of football; good but too inconsistent and not enough defense to scare anyone.

Tennessee is always interesting. Vince doesn't do anything that's spectacular but the guy just wins games. Who knows what's to come of the Chris Johnson contract situation too. He was also very upset that they let go of Alge.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

I consider this less "rebuilding" and more like "replenishing."  The 2006-2008 drafts were pretty bad, and that interrupted our pipeline of talent, and that thinness of talent showed last year.  The 2009 draft was awesome, and I have hopes for this one, and the bottom line is that in two years we've drafted 24 players, a solid chunk of which are higher round players. 

We're not rebuilding, which happens when you have to blow up what you've built.  We're just restocking the cupboards :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i totally agree. and rebuilding while staying competative is pretty great. i dont think this will be a super bowl team this season, but they will be a good playoff team and get good experience for the young players. this season will be about the 2 most recent draft classes, and seeing what moss has left in the tank. then next year we will move ahead with a mostly young team with a few top vets, the DE, RB, and pass rush situation worked out in the next draft, and a few free agents to round things out. i love the direction this is all headed in.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Rebuilding assumes an implosion and rock bottom.  I think replenishing is a better word too.  It's incredible that this team has remained competitive given the turnover they've had. I think the next few years are looking good if they can stay healthy, develop their young guys and add a few more impact players next year since they have the luxury of multiple 1st and 2nd rounders again.  This team is trying to build for the long haul. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Absolutely agree that the Pats are on a 3-year replenishment/refreshment/reloading/rejuvenating (pick the re of your choice) and that they have remained competitive in the process.  A credit to the entire organization.  Very optimistic here about the coming years.  This year Pats will be competitive; next year they will be much more than that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

Ok, I will concede, “replenishing” would be a better description of what the Pats are going through. Great points Dynasty -  Our offense should look much improved this year.  Bill has surrounded Tom with a mixture of rookies and vets that should be able to contribute on day one.  The Pats should be much more efficient in the red zone this years.   I am just as excited about the moves on defense.  I think Bill has done a nice job reinventing the defense with young, tough, football players that posses instincts and a hard work ethic.  McCourty, Cunningham and Spikes as well Tyrone Mckenzie, Butler and Chung should be able to contribute quite a bit this year.  I love Spikes’ “take no prisoner” attitude as well as McKenzie’s diligent book work and devotion to his craft.  I can see this unit developing into a tough, blue collar unit that N.E. fans can be proud of.  

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

I've been comparing the 2008-2009-2010 Patriots to the 85-86-87 San Francisco teams for months now. Those 49er teams were good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to win it all, but all the while they were rebuilding their aging roster from their 1984 championship team with shrewd moves, and getting younger. By 1988, they were ready to win again, and they almost three-peated (they were 1 Roger Craig fumble away from three-peating in 1990).

Hopefully, the Pats are on a similar path (though it would help if they had a draft like the '86 49ers had somewhere along the way).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

rebuilding/retooling is an arguement in semantics.  Everyone knows what we're talking about here.

My take on the AFC East is that it's evolved into a smash mouth type of division.  The number 1 concern is stop the run.  We didn't take care of the pass rush but we did address the right side of that defense.  It won't be so easy to run on that side any more.  My thinking here is we may get by without the pass rush in this division as long as we can stop the run.  If the run defense is fixed like I hope it is we can win the division again. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to 3 Year Rebuilding Process = Not a Bad Thing: So now e go from "unbeatable favorites" to "repleneshing and rebuilding?" In 3 years will Moss and Brady, and most of the OL be there? Wilfork? This post is ridiculous.
    Most people hear the word “rebuilding” and cringe.   However, I think N.E. is in the midst of a 3 year rebuilding process and will remain competitive throughout the process.   Last year’s draft landed us some solid players, maybe not difference makers but real solid contributors none the less.   I think we have achieved the same result with this year’s draft.   Next year we will have four picks in the first two rounds and will be able to participate in a strong free agent class (all those restrict free agents becoming unrestricted).   The Pats made an intelligent decision by locking up their own free agents this year instead of partaking in a weak free agent class.   This course of rebuild would seem to be a blueprint for building a dynasty: acquiring a base of solid role players and adding veteran leadership and difference makers through free agency.        I think we will be competitive this year and will be playoff contenders.   2011 will be the year when we have all of our pieces in place and will able to reassert ourselves as top dog in the AFC East, making a run at another dynasty.     
    Posted by ZachRudy