32 high draft picks over 7 years.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

Re: 32 high draft picks over 7 years.

In response to HelmetofLeather's comment:

And honestly barring injuries he's done pretty good since Pioli left.................  Every draft and EVERY TEAM has hits and misses and BB has defn had his but over the past few drafts and UDFA pick ups, he's created a team can can and has withstood the crazy injuries suffered. Brady is the glue but  BB gave him the pieces to have yet another SB to stick too....

And NEVER forget... EVERY GM MISSED ON BRADY SIX DAMN TIMES

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

And honestly barring injuries he's done pretty good since Pioli left.................  Every draft and EVERY TEAM has hits and misses and BB has defn had his but over the past few drafts and UDFA pick ups, he's created a team can can and has withstood the crazy injuries suffered. Brady is the glue but  BB gave him the pieces to have yet another SB to stick too....

So would have BB, if it weren't for Dick Rehbein. Actually, SD was interested and might well have taken him 4 picks later.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

And honestly barring injuries he's done pretty good since Pioli left.................  Every draft and EVERY TEAM has hits and misses and BB has defn had his but over the past few drafts and UDFA pick ups, he's created a team that can and has withstood the crazy injuries suffered. Brady is the glue but  BB gave him the pieces to have yet another SB to stick too....

I've never said BB is a bad GM. He's average.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

So would have BB, if it weren't for Dick Rehbein. Actually, SD was interested and might well have taken him 4 picks later.

which proves everyone knew he was worth nothing more than a low round pick ...Oops and thx  :-)  Draft.. the ultimate crapshoot

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

I'm still waiting for Trevor Matich to Block us to a SB..............

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Past is past. If BB can replicate what he did in last years draft....we can ALL admit maybe he's learning............

What did he do in last year's draft? He picked a linebacker that may, or may not be good (although he looks good too me). He picked a receiver that at times has looked good and at times has looked awful. And he picked a corner that looks great right now, but McCourty looked great at corner for a year until he was exposed as a first down waiting to happen and then had to be moved to safety, where he looks average.

I think the guy is the best coach there is, but I think he listens to nobody when it comes to selecting/bringing in players, and that is a problem. He used to have people that would challenge him, help him, question him and fight for players they wanted...now? There is no Pioli. There is no Weis. There is no Romeo. Now it's just a bunch of scared young guys. Now maybe McDanials sticks up for himself, but have you seen some of the players he's brought in as a head coach? Or some of the players he's brought her as of late...how's Fells sound? Or Llyod? Or Amendola at 7million?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

What difference does it make what other teams are doing?This is abysmal! If someone wants to bother to look that up...be my guest. I'm sick and tired of the Homers making excuses for BB's poor drafts. Take Tom Brady away from this team, and they would suck. Any one who thinks differently, consider this...you are agreeing with Rusty.

If your child gets a 50 out of 100 on a test but everyone else got a 40 would you call that abysmal? Comparing to what everyone else is doing is not making excuses.

If you take Tom Brady away from this team we then draft an Aaron Rodgers.

Perfect analogy Digger!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Draft.. the ultimate crapshoot

Late rounds; sure.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I think you also have to take into consideration the talent level in each draft class. I know BB was raked over the coals for one particulary bad draft year. But when I looked at other teams success with that draft class, almost all of the players taken that year were no longer in the league.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:

Babe exposed.  Pats lose because Brady wanted to throw more in the second half with a 10-7 lead, even tied 10-10 through the 3rd, and now he's mortified after all kinds of rookies, younger players and even UDFAs are playing well for our team.

So, this thread pretty much is moronic as we knew last week, but it looks even worse now. lol

I know a lot more about hockey than I do about football.  Can someone please help me understand why it is a bad idea to pass a lot with a three point lead?

Thanks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

What difference does it make what other teams are doing?This is abysmal! If someone wants to bother to look that up...be my guest. I'm sick and tired of the Homers making excuses for BB's poor drafts. Take Tom Brady away from this team, and they would suck. Any one who thinks differently, consider this...you are agreeing with Rusty.

If your child gets a 50 out of 100 on a test but everyone else got a 40 would you call that abysmal? Comparing to what everyone else is doing is not making excuses.

RESPONSE: Nonsense!! Instead of pointing fingers and using the lame, old, childish excuse that, "everyone else is doing bad, too"...winners adapt and overcome. That's hard. But that's what winners do. Isn't this why we love the Patriots? Isn't this mentality supposedly encapsuled in the so-called "Patriot Way"?  

RESPONSE: Yeah...sure.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to DeadAhead's comment:

Babe exposed.  Pats lose because Brady wanted to throw more in the second half with a 10-7 lead, even tied 10-10 through the 3rd, and now he's mortified after all kinds of rookies, younger players and even UDFAs are playing well for our team.

So, this thread pretty much is moronic as we knew last week, but it looks even worse now. lol

I know a lot more about hockey than I do about football.  Can someone please help me understand why it is a bad idea to pass a lot with a three point lead?

Thanks.

Only if the completion rate is low and it ends up putting the d back on the field.

personally I don't think you change your offensive philosophy up by 3. Stay aggressive and score, mix the run and pass. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Hopefully the last two drafts are an indication of good things to come.  There are quality starters on both the offense and defense from the last two drafts.  Every team has a few misses.  Would Washington want to make the trade for RGIII again?  What about the Jets.  Sanchez and Smith?  Neither is a franchise QB.  This team has been in the playoffs most of the years that BB has been GM and Coach.  The team went 11-3 without Brady. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

Draft.. the ultimate crapshoot

Late rounds; sure.

Jay Berwanger,Ryan Leaf, Andre Ware, Blair Thomas, Kenneth Sims, Hart Lee Dykes, Brian Bosworth, Rick Mirer,  Trevor Matich,David Carr, Vernon Gholston, Trent Richardson.........and I could make this an endless list which would just as easily prove that the early rounds crap out just as much. What makes that fact even worse is the extensive scrutiny given to high round picks which IN THEORY should mean WAY less misses but we BOTH know that hasn't been the case since the very 1st draft.................Lets not get into all the UDFA's who dot Pro Bowls and HOF ballots.............

Let me relate to babe with a draft he attended live.

Of the 81 players taken thru 9 rounds in the 1st NFL Draft in 1936  only 4 made the HOF

One was taken in the 1st round

One was taken in the 2nd round

One was taken in the 8th round

One was taken in the 9th round 4 picks from being Mr. Irrelevant. Mr Dan Fortmann (G. Colgate) was also the 1st of that class to be inducted in 1965

Twas and will remain a crapshoot!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

. In response to mthurl's comment:

Past is past. If BB can replicate what he did in last years draft....we can ALL admit maybe he's learning............

What did he do in last year's draft? He picked a linebacker that may, or may not be good (although he looks good too me). He picked a receiver that at times has looked good and at times has looked awful. And he picked a corner that looks great right now, but McCourty looked great at corner for a year until he was exposed as a first down waiting to happen and then had to be moved to safety, where he looks average.

I think the guy is the best coach there is, but I think he listens to nobody when it comes to selecting/bringing in players, and that is a problem. He used to have people that would challenge him, help him, question him and fight for players they wanted...now? There is no Pioli. There is no Weis. There is no Romeo. Now it's just a bunch of scared young guys. Now maybe McDanials sticks up for himself, but have you seen some of the players he's brought in as a head coach? Or some of the players he's brought her as of late...how's Fells sound? Or Llyod? Or Amendola at 7million?

RESPONSE: It's not that he doesn't listen to anyone. It appears that he has little confidence in his scouting department. For example, he disregarded his scout's objections to using the 91st pick last year on Duron Harmon. BB is getting in the habit of personally workiong out players he likes...as was the case with LB Jamie Collins. Collins was projected as a 4th round pick...yet BB took him at #52. Though it's too early to say whether Collins will be a good player...it's bad practice for a  coach to get too close to the players he's evaluating. It tends to cloud judgment.

Another sign of BB's lack of faith in his scouts is that, over the past few years, he has relied heavily on certain college programs to replentish and rejuvinate his roster. In 2010, it was the University of Florida under Urban Meyer. Last year, it was Rutgers, formerly under Coach Greg Chiano. 

If the scouting department isn't doing it's job...revamp it!  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to msteven's comment:

This team has been in the playoffs most of the years that BB has been GM and Coach.  The team went 11-3 without Brady. 

11-3 hunh? Get back to me with the list of winning teams that 2008 team beat. This nonsense has been debunked 1000 times.

BB with Brady = 11 playoffs in 12 tries.

BB without Brady = 1 playoff in 7 tries.

BB without Brady as the Pats coach = 0 playoffs in 2 tries.

It doesn't get any clearer than that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Looking this over, it seems the only consensus "great pick" from that list of 36 mentioned by those who actually answered the question was : Chandler Jones.

I don't see a single one I would call great based on where they were taken. There are a few good ones, but mostly bad.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Looking this over, it seems the only consensus "great pick" from that list of 36 mentioned by those who actually answered the question was : Chandler Jones.

I don't see a single one I would call great based on where they were taken. There are a few good ones, but mostly bad.

i would add Mayo as great too. jones and mayo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to Footballexpert45's comment:

In response to jrmccook's comment:

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

I'm not being a BB apologist, but it should be taken into consideration that the Patriots have drafted at the end of the draft every year since 2001 since they have had success on the field every single year.  The early draft picks they did have were from trades with other teams and not consistently picked at the top of the draft in later rounds.

Are you taking into consideration that BB hasn't had to worry about finding a franchise QB for 12 years, while others have had to expend huge draft resources in search of that? Probably not. People tend to see only the things that bolster their point of view.

That lament about not drafting at the top of the rounds is rather moot, since before the rookie wage scale, top 10 picks were a huge financial gamble against the cap.

The good news is Babe feels superior to BB because he hasn't had a single draft bust since 1983 when he failed to sign Fred the Baker during his work's dunkin doughnuts employee football league which folded shortly due to rising costs when they tried to re-enact the snow plow game using flour and powdered sugar.

The bad news is Babe is an arm chair pseudo fan who only finds time to pretend he's a patriots fan and look for ways to complain about the team, it's draft picks, ect versus focusing on the things the team has accomplished. If he was truly a fan, he'd compare these drafts and teams to the horrible drafts and teams of gm's past, and the drafts of other gm's in the nfl and know that while BB isn't perfect, and no GM truly is, he's doing a decent job, especially in recent years.

If you had a clue you would know that I say BB is an average GM. That fits in line with your hopes that people know "he's doing a decent job". Unfortunately, you've proven to be another poster of worthless drivel; so it's ignore time, otherwise I might start calling you a moron; and some people can't handle the truth.

what really sad Babe is the lack of understanding by some posters of just how great Brady(not you of course) really is.  The Pats success could only have been achieved by Mr. Brady.  Peyton, Brees, and Rodgers could never have accomplished what Brady has with Pats.

BB would have been fired years ago if not for Brady, just like what happened in Cleveland.

here I disagree: I think those QBs would have had success too because of their incredible talents...as much as Brady? Maybe its certainly possible...just as it was asked in the 3 SB yrs if u switched Brady and Peyton would their achievements flip also...we will never know but I think all of them would be successful especially early on with the SB defenses-partly built by Parcells-and Adam Venetieri

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

i would add Mayo as great too. jones and mayo

Certainly Mayo is a fine player. Whether as a top 10 pick he is a great pick, is debatable.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Certainly Mayo is a fine player. Whether as a top 10 pick he is a great pick, is debatable. 

[/QUOTE]

i guess it is.. i would easily argue for the side that he is a great pick even based on value. i would put Mayo in the top 5 ILB in the game, obviously Kuechly and Willis are the top but i would say Mayo is right behind those two. He does alot for the defense, the QB of the D, cover any RB in the league and is a tsckle machine.

it can be debated, but in a way Mayo has always been undervalued and underappriciated among fans and the whole NFL. this year helps show how much this guy does for us

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Hey Babe,

How many great players have the ravens drafted in the last 7 years? Ngata and suggs were drafted before that.

How about the Packers? Matthews? By your definition, he is injury prone, and probably too 1 dimensional.

How about the Giants? Jpp? The guy has 8 sacks in his last 27 games. Yup.

How about the Steelers? Mike Wallace????

How about the Saints? If Gronk isn't a great pick then neither is Graham. Gronk has 2 more tds in 11 less games.

if Gronk, Mayo, and Volmer are not great picks, then by your definition these super bowl champions haven't drafted 1 great player.

Time to stop your madness, although it never gets old crushing everything you say.

Merry Christmas, I'll tell you the same thing I told that other guy. For the sake of Christmas, I hope you find something BB is actually bad at, so that you may find joy on this day.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Waited until day after Christmas to chime in on the latest here.  I think digger pretty much nailed it here:

Extending that to a sports analogy, it is the very same logic that suggests that Ted Williams was a horrible hitter in 1941 because he only got a hit in 40.6% of his at-bats. 

Absent context broad-based crticism of BB's drafting makes absolutely no sense.  In context, he's not had much success in recent years drafting WR's and DB's.  This year the jury is still out on this year's crop of rookies. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Peyton, Brees, and Rodgers could never have accomplished what Brady has with Pats.

here I disagree: I think those QBs would have had success too because of their incredible talents...as much as Brady? Maybe its certainly possible...just as it was asked in the 3 SB yrs if u switched Brady and Peyton would their achievements flip also...we will never know but I think all of them would be successful especially early on with the SB defenses-partly built by Parcells-and Adam Venetieri

RESPONSE: Stop it! Rodgers hasn't stayed healthy, and hasn't displayed the same fire and leadership skills over a long period of time as has Brady. Rodgers is more like Drew Brees, than Brady.

Speaking of, playing in the climate comfort of San Diego and the Super Dome has certainly helped to further the fortunes of Brees. With his average arm and small stature, I doubt that Drew would have fared nearly as well as Tom in cold, windy weather games, played up North.

Peyton Manning is a great regular season QB. But, like Brees, he's benefitted from playing the great majority of his career in a dome, and at warm weather cites in the weak AFC South. Throughout his great career, he's always been surrounded with first rate offensive weapons. 

What separates Brady from him is Tom's ability to do as much or more with less talent...and Manning's penchant for choking in big games, that dates all the way back to his college days at Tennessee.    

This year, there should be no excuses for him. His team will be the prohibitive AFC SB favorite. He has the best set of WRs in the game, a good stable of RBs, home field advantage throughout the play-offs, a deadly accurate FG kicker from 50 yards in, and the fact that his top competition in the AFC, the Patriots, have been ravaged by injuries. Who else is a threat to him in the AFC? The Bengals? Colts?

Yet...once again, he'll find a way to choke it all away. It's what he does.    

[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

if Gronk, Mayo, and Volmer are not great picks,

Time to stop your madness, although it never gets old crushing everything you say.

The oft injured Gronk and Vollmer can't be great picks because they are oft injured, and Mayo was a top 10 pick; he's a good, but not great pick.

You have never crushed a single word I've said. Merry Christmas TC.

Sections
Shortcuts