3rd downs and tackling

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NE-decade-of-my-dreams. Show NE-decade-of-my-dreams's posts

3rd downs and tackling

When all was said and done this afternoon, I was surprised the Pats won this game. Not that the Dolphins played better, but the Patriots just let them hang around all day by making nistakes and shooting themselves in the foot.

When I played for my high school team, on defense we were taught to "wrap the guy up" by aiming for his waist, wrapping our arms around him and sliding down his legs. You don't hear a loud crack tackling like that, but you made a sure tackle every time. I cant believe I'm watching Pro football and see Patriots players going into a tackle with thier arms at thier sides, bouncing off the guys thigh, then watching him break off another 5-10 yards after contact. What is up with that? I see this happen week in and week out. doesn't BB see this on film?

Also in this game it seemed like the Dolphins converting 3rd down after 3rd down. Henne looked like a pro bowler out there. If they continue to play like that next week we are going to be in trouble.

One more thing... Didn't it seem that Tom Brady looked agitated all day? I know the offense wasn't clicking well, but I remember in past years that Tom would get more determined than agitated. just an observation that makes me wonder whats going on with him.

Comments?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

Re: 3rd downs and tackling

I counted 3 more Meriweather whiffs today.  He really needs some intense coaching.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

In Response to 3rd downs and tackling:
    [QUOTE]When all was said and done this afternoon, I was surprised the Pats won this game. Not that the Dolphins played better, but the Patriots just let them hang around all day by making nistakes and shooting themselves in the foot. When I played for my high school team, on defense we were taught to "wrap the guy up" by aiming for his waist, wrapping our arms around him and sliding down his legs. You don't hear a loud crack tackling like that, but you made a sure tackle every time. I cant believe I'm watching Pro football and see Patriots players going into a tackle with thier arms at thier sides, bouncing off the guys thigh, then watching him break off another 5-10 yards after contact. What is up with that? I see this happen week in and week out. doesn't BB see this on film? Also in this game it seemed like the Dolphins converting 3rd down after 3rd down. Henne looked like a pro bowler out there. If they continue to play like that next week we are going to be in trouble. One more thing... Didn't it seem that Tom Brady looked agitated all day? I know the offense wasn't clicking well, but I remember in past years that Tom would get more determined than agitated. just an observation that makes me wonder whats going on with him. Comments?
    Posted by NE-decade-of-my-dreams[/QUOTE

I dont think your giving the dolphins enough credit, they played hard. that was a classic Afc east november game. Sure the pats have to work on some things like tackling and 3rd down defense but im sure BB will take a divisonal win anyway he can get it. Stop complaining and just enjoy the game lol i played high school football too,no one cares about your tackling techniques lol shut up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NE-decade-of-my-dreams. Show NE-decade-of-my-dreams's posts

I dont think your giving the dolphins enough credit, they played hard. that was a classic Afc east november game. Sure the pats have to work on some things like tackling and 3rd down defense but im sure BB will take a divisonal win anyway he can get it. Stop complaining and just enjoy the game lol i played high school football too,no one cares about your tackling techniques lol shut up.

What, are you 6 years old? "shut up"? Grow up, jerk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Yes, they need to tackle a little better. I think when they blitzed and covered a little tighter they were much more successful. They were not as aggressive on defense as they were against the Titans or Tampa. I think that's because they have more respect for Miami.
    That was a pretty good win though. We left at least 8 points out on the field because of a drop and some penalties. I still think we are getting better and need more improvement on offense. I'll take what we get out of our defense. They still look better than they did last year. The offense is still a little off. I don't know whos fault it is. I saw Brady screaming at players again today which isn't a good sign but I know we will be better than this at the end of the year. We need a speedy return from Eddleman so we can get Aiken out of there. That will be an instant upgrade and if Fred Taylor can come back that will make us better also.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NE-decade-of-my-dreams. Show NE-decade-of-my-dreams's posts

In Response to Re: 3rd downs and tackling:
    Yes, they need to tackle a little better. I think when they blitzed and covered a little tighter they were much more successful. They were not as aggressive on defense as they were against the Titans or Tampa. I think that's because they have more respect for Miami. That was a pretty good win though. We left at least 8 points out on the field because of a drop and some penalties. I still think we are getting better and need more improvement on offense. I'll take what we get out of our defense. They still look better than they did last year. The offense is still a little off. I don't know whos fault it is. I saw Brady screaming at players again today which isn't a good sign but I know we will be better than this at the end of the year. We need a speedy return from Eddleman so we can get Aiken out of there. That will be an instant upgrade and if Fred Taylor can come back that will make us better also.
    Posted by ewhite1065

I agree, I think we will be much better by the end of the year. I know divisional games are tough, and the Dolphins always give us fits, no matter what their record is, but I thought they only looked good this week because the Patriots didn't play their best today.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

I dont think your giving the dolphins enough credit, they played hard. that was a classic Afc east november game. Sure the pats have to work on some things like tackling and 3rd down defense but im sure BB will take a divisonal win anyway he can get it. Stop complaining and just enjoy the game lol i played high school football too,no one cares about your tackling techniques lol shut up. What, are you 6 years old? "shut up"? Grow up, jerk.
    Posted by NE-decade-of-my-dreams

lmao you calling me 6 years old, even though your the one crying "week in and week out i see missed tackles" stop crying lol no team is perfect, just stop crying and enjoy the game

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moongirl. Show moongirl's posts

I agree. 3rd down defense is horrible!! Missed tackles and playing 10 yards off constantly is not helping this team. They still need to work on a pass rush because as of now, there isn't one. This will be needed against teams like the Colts and the Saints. I'm very happy for this win but we can't continually let teams stay in it until the end.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NE-decade-of-my-dreams. Show NE-decade-of-my-dreams's posts

In Response to Re: 3rd downs and tackling : lmao you calling me 6 years old, even though your the one crying "week in and week out i see missed tackles" stop crying lol no team is perfect, just stop crying and enjoy the game
    Posted by Patsfan24-7

Who the hell are you to tell me how I should watch the game? If you dont like what I have to say then move along A**hole. I have every right to talk about things I dont like about my team as well as what I like. If that's not O.K. with you then go to a discussion board where everyone is smoking pot and giggling and wearing rose colored glasses saying to each other... "maaaan, I really enjoyed the game maaaaan. ^cough^ ^cough^ puff and pass maaaan. Wow maaaaan the Patriots played so like perfectly today maaaaan. I could never question anything the Patriots do, cuz they are like God and stuff maaan." Go eff yourself 24-7 stoner

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Hey, there is nothing wrong with a little hooch now and again, alcohol is the real ahole maker. I agree about poor tackling, especially by meriweather. We need to shore things up for the offensive juggernaut colts.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

watch the belt buckle.  Where the hips go, the body goes.

Don't even look at someone's eyes, the head, or the ball.  the tackle is priority number one.  Good form tackling will lead your head to the ball by default.

Fundamentals.

I saw Merriweather whiff once on the tight end in the flats.  I think he tried using the hit stick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

In Response to Re: 3rd downs and tackling : Who the hell are you to tell me how I should watch the game? If you dont like what I have to say then move along A**hole. I have every right to talk about things I dont like about my team as well as what I like. If that's not O.K. with you then go to a discussion board where everyone is smoking pot and giggling and wearing rose colored glasses saying to each other... "maaaan, I really enjoyed the game maaaaan. ^cough^ ^cough^ puff and pass maaaan. Wow maaaaan the Patriots played so like perfectly today maaaaan. I could never question anything the Patriots do, cuz they are like God and stuff maaan." Go eff yourself 24-7 stoner
    Posted by NE-decade-of-my-dreams

lmao wow, so you i call you a cry baby, and you respond by callin me a stoner? lol

all im saying is that the pats played well, so did the dolphins. you dont have to cry, and whine lol and if you do, then dont be surprised if i reply by laughing at you lol if you dont like it then block me, your better off blocking then losing a debate lol ill beat you in any sports related debate. you must be a little girl cryin like that lol

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

The problem is that during the week they are practicing their tackling against Watson, so they are used to guys falling down at the slightest touch. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I think your being a litte to harsh, you can't expect the Dophins to not make any plays.  They only scored 17 points, they have averaged over 33 points a game the last four games.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

When you rush 3/4 on 3rd downs you need the rush to pressure the QB, Henne had enough time to find his open receiver and deliver a good ball. When they rushed him with an all-out Blitz he looked like a deer in head lights. 

On the tackling, Meriweather is a FS, they are all finesse and no contact. He needs to learn to tackle better, sure, but he is still a pretty good player. McGowan and Chung are the ideal tacklers at the safety position though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

I believe alot of the 3rd down conversions were 3rd and short.  Miami was getting good yards on 1st and 2nd down.

Yes,  I did notice Merriweather's poor tackling.  He is the one that let Williams get in the endzone on the 15yd run.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

' . . .  I played high school football too, no one cares about your tackling techniques lol shut up."
    Posted by Patsfan24-7

This is not true.

We're very interested in your technique.

Also, do you have any photos of your high school girlfriend?

We'd love to see those, too.

Sections
Shortcuts