#4 In Coaching Tenure with the Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

#4 In Coaching Tenure with the Pats

With the departure of Pepper Johnson and Dante S. it got me thinking about the guys who have been with the team the longest (in consecutive years of service)

In consecutive years of service we have:

1) Ivan Fears (15 years)

2) god Bill Belichick (14 years)

3) Matt Patricia (10)

4) Josh Boyer (8) ....

Is anyone else as shocked as I am that Boyer is this close to the top?   Some on the board have claimed that a big reason why the Pats have not won the ultimate prize is that their coaching staff is raided so often. 

I am very happy to have Revis and Browner join the team, but if you stop seeing Revis turning back to the ball you'll know Boyer has "coached him up".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: #4 In Coaching Tenure with the Pats

On turning back to the ball.

Glenn Ordway: How do you guys teach it?

Bill Belichick: There’s a lot of different situations. We talk about those. It isn’t about looking or not looking for the ball. If you don’t look at the ball, then you have to play the receiver’s hands and knock the ball out when the receiver tries to catch it. If you’re looking at the ball, then you play the ball -- and hopefully the ball is in the air when you look at it. Because if you’re looking at it and the ball isn’t in the air, a good receiver will just uncover. As soon as you turn your back on him, he just goes in the other direction.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4731828/defensive-backs-turning-for-ball" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4731828/defensive-backs-turning-for-ball

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

This is coach Brady's 15th year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

On turning back to the ball.

[QUOTE]Glenn Ordway: How do you guys teach it?

Bill Belichick: There’s a lot of different situations. We talk about those. It isn’t about looking or not looking for the ball. If you don’t look at the ball, then you have to play the receiver’s hands and knock the ball out when the receiver tries to catch it. If you’re looking at the ball, then you play the ball -- and hopefully the ball is in the air when you look at it. Because if you’re looking at it and the ball isn’t in the air, a good receiver will just uncover. As soon as you turn your back on him, he just goes in the other direction.

[/QUOTE]http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4731828/defensive-backs-turning-for-ball" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4731828/defensive-backs-turning-for-ball" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4731828/defensive-backs-turning-for-ball

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I remember that Digger.

I think BB's answer was designed to give cover to those who clearly were unable to do it any other way than to keep their eyes on the receiver at all times.  The only guy on the team that could turn for the ball was Talib.

I can't remember a single all-time great CB that didn't turn his head to the ball.   It's not like they have to watch the QB for the entire route.  They perfect their technique with reading cues from the receiver like subtle movements of his head to pick up the flight of the ball.  

If you don't turn to the ball the job of breaking up the pass becomes more difficult and you have a lower chance of getting an INT.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I think it was also a BS rule, there were many cases that year that Patriot defenders didn't turn around but still shielded the offensive player from the ball and/or swatted it away.  We got penalized numerous times that year even though nominal contact between the defender and receiver was made.  

I say the rule is BS because a defender shouldn't have to "turn around," if he has covered well the defender should just put his hands up and swat the ball away.  There shouldn't be a flag just because the QB threw the ball too short or the receiver overran the play then has to run through the defender to come back to the ball.  There was an obvious miscommunication between the Patriot coaching staff and the letter of the law that season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With the departure of Pepper Johnson and Dante S. it got me thinking about the guys who have been with the team the longest (in consecutive years of service)

In consecutive years of service we have:

1) Ivan Fears (15 years)

2) god Bill Belichick (14 years)

3) Matt Patricia (10)

4) Josh Boyer (8) ....

Is anyone else as shocked as I am that Boyer is this close to the top?   Some on the board have claimed that a big reason why the Pats have not won the ultimate prize is that their coaching staff is raided so often. 

I am very happy to have Revis and Browner join the team, but if you stop seeing Revis turning back to the ball you'll know Boyer has "coached him up".

[/QUOTE]

I know you're counting continuous tenure, but McDaniels now has 10 years with the team (plus a playoff appearance in an 11th).  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Also, during BB's tenure with the Pats, the other 31 teams have gone through 136 head coaches.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think it was also a BS rule, there were many cases that year that Patriot defenders didn't turn around but still shielded the offensive player from the ball and/or swatted it away.  We got penalized numerous times that year even though nominal contact between the defender and receiver was made.  

I say the rule is BS because a defender shouldn't have to "turn around," if he has covered well the defender should just put his hands up and swat the ball away.  There shouldn't be a flag just because the QB threw the ball too short or the receiver overran the play then has to run through the defender to come back to the ball.  There was an obvious miscommunication between the Patriot coaching staff and the letter of the law that season.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. They did that to make it easier on the refs and the idiots still botch the calls.   This started happening when Goodell came into the league, too. I can remember watching games pre-Goodell and never walking away thinking the game was affected by the DBs technique on defending a pass.

It's just unbelievable.

I can always tell the pink hats here. They have no idea what I am talking about here whatsoever.  You breather on a WR or TE today and it's PI.  Back in the day, it would need to be obvious, which is clearly the right way to enforce the rule.

It's how we lost the 2006 title game....They called Hobbs for PI because he never turned on Wayne, but he also never touched Wayne. Ugh.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Contact that was once incidental is now penalized to the extent that DBs like Mel Blount, Tatum and Nightrain would be liabilities to their respective teams. Pass defense becomes a function of near=perfect timing (PDs and some INTs) and reading the QB or the route (intelligence). The rules are why I, to some degree, think that being a rookie DB in the NFL is the most difficult position short of playing QB. On a 5 yard(short)  pattern there is no bump zone; no touching allowed. Catch and tackle. This is also why I like Peterson....he times his PDs perfectly and he cuts off the routes extremely well. If Sherman is a barometer every DB should run the entire route tree ad nauseum. Its almost like a CB has to shadow his man constantly, but never get a PI.......tough task.

The coaching turnover is standard for team that is successful. Scar was old. I don;t begrudge a coach taking a better job for more money or prestige (Weis, Crennel). However HCs in the NFL are an endangered species.

Sections
Shortcuts