45, the New 35?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

45, the New 35?

One things for certain.

If you want the time, you gotta put in the time, and selfishness has no part of that equation.

New England Patriots
    What Tom Brady works on with Tom House
    June, 23, 2014
    Jun 23
    5:00
    AM ET
    By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com

Comments3
    Email
    Print

The relationship between New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady and the late Tom Martinez was well documented over the years. Brady often cited Martinez's work in fine-tuning his mechanics as critical to his success.

Brady is one of several NFL quarterbacks who now works with former major league pitcher Tom House, the founder of the National Pitching Association. House was a guest on Sirius XM NFL Radio’s “End Zone” program with Zig Fracassi and Alex Marvez on Sunday, and he shared some insight into his work with Brady.

It started with this:

“When Tom Brady showed up, he was already one of the best in the history of the game. So he comes in and he’s looking for a one percent gain, or just to hang on to what he’s already got," House said on the program.

[+] EnlargeTom Brady
    AP Photo/Aaron M. SprecherTom House, who works with Tom Brady on his mechanics, said on Sirius XM radio that Brady "wants to play until 43 to 45 years old."
    “We just built on what he’d already established with Coach Martinez. As he’s getting a little older, you lose a little strength and lose a little flexibility. He has a guy, Alex Guerrero, that helps him with that. What was happening, he was noticing his accuracy and his long ball weren’t what they were 3-4 years ago. So we brought him to the computer, compared him to the models we have created for movement efficiency, and there were really, really small things that were causing his issues.

"Probably the easiest way to explain it, his front side was a little too rotational. He wasn’t maintaining his torque long enough. So really, really small little adjustments. The cool thing and what is most impressive to me, these quarterbacks pick things up really, really quick. Pitchers it takes a while. Quarterbacks, I think it’s because it’s because of the necessity of the game. They have to make decisions quickly and learn quickly. When you show them what they need to do, they fix it in a blink. It’s pretty impressive.”

House was then asked about some recent comments he made to Mark Daniels of the Providence Journal in comparing Brady to baseball Hall of Fame pitcher Nolan Ryan.

“Nolan wanted to stay competitive as long as he possibly could. So we started tweaking programs, process and protocols, and started looking at recovery as much as preparation and making sure in our strength training, that it was specific to the mechanics involved in throwing. Tom Brady wants to do the same thing, to be competitive as long as he can. I think the number that is out there -- he wants to play until 43 to 45 years old," House said on the program. "There is no reason these guys can’t do it if you can identify what they need to do to sustain and maintain what they had at the peak of their careers. It’s doable. Guys like Tom and Drew [Brees], they’re looking to stay as good as they can, as long as they can.”

What has House learned about Brady that he didn't know beforehand?

“Without giving away trade secrets, one of the things we’ve learned about quarterbacking is that it isn’t the length of the stride, it’s the timing of the stride. Tom is real long and lanky. Drew Brees is kind of short and stumpy like me. Drew Brees is really quick in his foot stride. If Tom has an issue, he gets a little long. So instead of looking at length of stride, he kind of told us from the pitching side of the equation, it’s not the length of stride it’s the timing it takes to get into the stride," House said.

"So Nolan Ryan, at 6-1, had almost a 7-and-a-half-foot stride but he still got into foot stride at right around one second. The same rules apply to quarterbacks. So you have to be into foot stride and get the ball out of their hands in the right time, so they have a timely release to the receivers. There are numbers that are measureable -- they have to be into foot stride by ‘X.’ So it isn’t the length of the stride, it’s the timing of the stride. That’s one of the things we focus on when we analyze Tom every year, and we maintain during the season -- we look at how quick is he getting into foot stride?”

"The worse New England has gotten on defense, the better Brady has been forced to become -- with 109 touchdowns, 20 interceptions and a 39-9 record the past three seasons. "

CLARK JUDGE______7/13/13_____________________________________

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: 45, the New 35?

If Brady could play at a high level even until he was 43, that would be the absolute best-case scenario.  Getting a 20 yr run out of the Greatest QB even would be amazing.  

OK Russ, there's your cue.  Go ahead and tee off.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Brady could play at a high level even until he was 43, that would be the absolute best-case scenario.  Getting a 20 yr run out of the Greatest QB even would be amazing.  

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I do think he's shooting for 20 years, but that's just a guess.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

maybe he can kick some p.a.t.'s like doug flutie. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I don't want Tom Brady doing anything but playing QB for the Pats and if he can play at a high level until he's 43 that would be truly amazing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

I don't see Brady playing at 43.  It's a fine goal to have when you are 36 but it gets harder each year.

I also think he's the type of guy that would want to spend more time with his boys as they get older, going to see them play sports or whatever they choose to do.  I think his oldest boy will be starting HS when TB is 43.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

I've always thought that Brady is the type of QB that can see success into his early 40s.  He's really only had one injury and he keeps himself in top shape.  Couple that with the fact that he relies mostly on his high football IQ and short, intermediate passes and I can easily see him having success until his early 40s.  Long live TFB

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Like!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

It's great to see/hear that Brady understands his limitations and is tweaking his form to be at "peak" performance.

That being said, I hope  BB doesn't rest on his laurels in regards to the QB position. BB should trade him or find someone to replace Brady, if it's the best decision for the team; sentimentality put aside.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

I don't see Brady playing at 43.  It's a fine goal to have when you are 36 but it gets harder each year.

I also think he's the type of guy that would want to spend more time with his boys as they get older, going to see them play sports or whatever they choose to do.  I think his oldest boy will be starting HS when TB is 43.

Tom wants to be competitive as long as he can, he knows how hard it will be to play at 43. That's why he's doing specialized training.

He can always make more babies. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:

It's great to see/hear that Brady understands his limitations and is tweaking his form to be at "peak" performance.

That being said, I hope  BB doesn't rest on his laurels in regards to the QB position. BB should trade him or find someone to replace Brady, if it's the best decision for the team; sentimentality put aside.

When have you known Belichick to rest on his laurels or be sentimental?  :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]It's great to see/hear that Brady understands his limitations and is tweaking his form to be at "peak" performance.

[/QUOTE]
    When have you known Belichick to rest on his laurels or be sentimental?  :)

[/QUOTE]

i think one of the few times was when he signed ocho....and actually kept him the entire season for doing almost next to nothing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

He'll still be playing the QB slot for the Pats when Geno Smith has been driven out of the NFL for at least 2 years. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't need to tee off.  Brady keeps himself in great shape.  I hope he can play for a while, but only if he improves in January.

Ask yourself this: What good is he if he sucks in January or is mediocre but he plays to 43?  It's Brett Favre alll over again.

Do you know any Packers fans? I do and they were cringing watching that guy towards the end. It stained their entire enjoyment of whatever his legacy was to the franchise.  Favre tooks a massive dump on his entire run there.

Brady might do that here. The pain of watching that January after January.   My god.

Lastly, I have to chuckle my balls off at Tom House's analysis....He's basically taken my analysis word for word and given an interview about it.  I've been saying Brady's mechanics have been off since 2011 when Martinez got sick with cancer.  How many times have I used words like "rears back and takes too long to throw"?

How many times?

Look at what House said in that article. I could do his job with ease.  Brady is slow and long through his delivery and it's cost us games and a SB. He even references Brees's body type to show a comparison and as to why Brees really is a better all around passer.  Brady has let himself go in this area. 

Part of it was his injury in 2008 where he lacks a deliberate motion, but it's also his footwork being off, too. It's why his trajectory on deep balls is absolutely atrocious. He never lets the WR run under the ball. They either have to wait for it, or he doesn''t put enough under it, throwing earlier, and then letting the WR to go run under it.

Pretty sad when I can tell why Brad's mechanics are off and Brady can't. He gets paid 15 million dollars per year to get it right so we're not losing games on simple and easy throws.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

[QUOTE]

I don't need to tee off.  Brady keeps himself in great shape.  I hope he can play for a while, but only if he improves in January.

Ask yourself this: What good is he if he sucks in January or is mediocre but he plays to 43?  It's Brett Favre alll over again.

Do you know any Packers fans? I do and they were cringing watching that guy towards the end. It stained their entire enjoyment of whatever his legacy was to the franchise.  Favre tooks a massive dump on his entire run there.

Brady might do that here. The pain of watching that January after January.   My god.

Lastly, I have to chuckle my balls off at Tom House's analysis....He's basically taken my analysis word for word and given an interview about it.  I've been saying Brady's mechanics have been off since 2011 when Martinez got sick with cancer.  How many times have I used words like "rears back and takes too long to throw"?

How many times?

Look at what House said in that article. I could do his job with ease.  Brady is slow and long through his delivery and it's cost us games and a SB. He even references Brees's body type to show a comparison and as to why Brees really is a better all around passer.  Brady has let himself go in this area. 

Part of it was his injury in 2008 where he lacks a deliberate motion, but it's also his footwork being off, too. It's why his trajectory on deep balls is absolutely atrocious. He never lets the WR run under the ball. They either have to wait for it, or he doesn''t put enough under it, throwing earlier, and then letting the WR to go run under it.

Pretty sad when I can tell why Brad's mechanics are off and Brady can't. He gets paid 15 million dollars per year to get it right so we're not losing games on simple and easy throws.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Not what he said at all, scumbola.

He said their strides are different.  Brady long and lanky ans Brees short and stumpy.  So in order to get to point A at a precise time, they adjust for that.  One has long stride other short.  Different strides is not a preference and you adjust to what you have.  That's what they do.

The difference was not there if you knew how to read, you would know there was a slight rotation that caused him to be slightly off.

He has no problems in January or any other month.  The TEAM (which is basically exposed when it plays tougher competition), is the problem.

Therefore beebee is the problem.

And no, you couldn't do his job.  I doubt you could do your own job, if you had one, which explains why you are constantly unemployed..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Tom is a tireless worker...glad he is leading this team. It makes me laugh when I hear one moron say, "he needs to play better in January" and then think he knows what he is talking about, with Tom's mechanics. So let me get this straight, Tom plays great all year long, puts up great numbers, but then his mechanics fail him in January? Laughable.

Tom is getting older, he is trying to stay on top (which is where he has been over the last five seasons, never mind his entire career). Tom's "struggles" in January are caused by the "struggles" of this team against better competition. In Super Bowl 46 Tom would of been the MVP of that game had we won. Easily. Two years ago - before he had to play with a bunch of rookie receivers - he threw for 4827 yards, 34 TD's and 8 interceptions...how were his "mechanics and stride" then? Or how about the year before when he threw for 5235 yards, 39TD's and 12 picks?

Our offense has been one of the best in football during Tom's "mechanics being off" period. So what does Tom do in January that is different than the regular season? Play against teams that are better than us, plain and simple. This concept is very very difficult for one human being to understand.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Tom is a tireless worker...glad he is leading this team. It makes me laugh when I hear one moron say, "he needs to play better in January" and then think he knows what he is talking about, with Tom's mechanics. So let me get this straight, Tom plays great all year long, puts up great numbers, but then his mechanics fail him in January? Laughable.

Tom is getting older, he is trying to stay on top (which is where he has been over the last five seasons, never mind his entire career). Tom's "struggles" in January are caused by the "struggles" of this team against better competition. In Super Bowl 46 Tom would of been the MVP of that game had we won. Easily. Two years ago - before he had to play with a bunch of rookie receivers - he threw for 4827 yards, 34 TD's and 8 interceptions...how were his "mechanics and stride" then? Or how about the year before when he threw for 5235 yards, 39TD's and 12 picks?

Our offense has been one of the best in football during Tom's "mechanics being off" period. So what does Tom do in January that is different than the regular season? Play against teams that are better than us, plain and simple. This concept is very very difficult for one human being to understand.

how about the OL doing a better job protecting Brady vs. teams w/ better pass rush? Naaaaah.....that's got nothing to do w/ minimizing hits, hurries, pressures, and sacks. It's all BB's fault for not recognize that Brady is a lousy playoff QB now...........LMAO

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

how about the OL doing a better job protecting Brady vs. teams w/ better pass rush? Naaaaah.....that's got nothing to do w/ minimizing hits, hurries, pressures, and sacks. It's all BB's fault for not recognize that Brady is a lousy playoff QB now...........LMAO

[/QUOTE]

Yeah or how about having your all world tight end healthy for the post season once in his career? Naaaah, that wouldn't do a thing. Just blame Brady and his "long stride".

Sections
Shortcuts