49ers @ Patriots REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

49ers @ Patriots REPORT CARD

Say bye bye to a bye week. After a stirring performance in their win over the Houston Texans, the Pats laid a stink bomb of such epic proportions that it would have even chased Barack O'Bama away from his politically timed, unprecedented speech in the middle of a prime-time football time. It was 31-3, 49ers, mid-way into the third quarter, before the Patriots woke up. Though the Pats roared back to tie the game at 31, it was a microcosm of their season. The Pats had left themselves no margin for error...and went down to a stinging 41-34 defeat. Here are my grades:

I. OFFENSE: Four turnovers and dropped passes doomed this unit's effort. The 49er defense rendered the Patriots one dimensional in shutting down the Pats ground game, and after the 49ers forced the Pats to play catch-up all night long.

1.) QB: There are those of you who will point out that Tom led the Patriots on a furious comeback, erasing a 31-3 SF lead, by tying the game at 31. There are those who will point to the fact that Tom passed for 443 yards. Yet, I'll point to the fact that Tom threw the ball sixty-five (65) times to get those yards, completing just 36 of his throws, and had two costly interceptions. Tom looked jittery throughout the first half, before settling down in the second stanza. In many ways, this game was reminiscent of his performance in that awful 2010 playoff loss to the Jersey Jets. Other than developing some chemistry with Brandon Lloyd, there was nothing here for Tom to write home about. Say bye to bye, and the MVP: GRADE: C;

2.) RBs: A RB can rush for 100 yards in nearly every game, and 1200 plus yards for a season. But, if he fumbles, he's a liability to his team. This description is beginning to fit Stevan Ridley like a glove. Other than catastrophic blocked kicks or pick sixes, nothing is more harmful to a teams' chances to win than a fumble. So, BB went to Plan B, Shane Vereen. The result, a catch of a short pass, and a fumble. So finally, BB went with Plan C, Danny Woodhead. Woody was solid, with 12 rushes for 61 yards, and 5 pass receptions for 23 more, and a pair of TDs. In bad weather, a team must be able to get some mileage out of it's rushing attack. Not so tonight, with Ridley and Vereen. Interesting that after his awful performance, when being interviewed, that Ridley was so upbeat, as if his team had won: GRADE: D;

3.) OL: Where was the crew that dominated last Monday night? The Big Uglies had loads of trouble with the talented 49ers front seven from the get-go. When this unit finally decided to start blocking people, it was 31-3, San Francisco. It's tough to get up for back to back big games. But, that's precisely what the Patriots will have to do in the play-offs...only now, they'll have to do it on the road. This unit must be more consistent in the upcoming playoffs: GRADE: C;

4.) WRs & TEs: Aaron Hernandez was targeted by Tom 19 times, yet had only 9 receptions, for 92 yards, and a TD. Not bad looking stats on paper, but there were a couple of costly drops. TE Hoomanawanui had one catch on a 41 yard play. Clearly, the 49ers focused on stopping Wes Welker. They held the Pats' well covered mighty-mite to just 5 catches for 56 yards. For the second game in a row, Brandon Lloyd came up big, finishing with 10 catches for 190 yards...with a highlight 53 yard pass play. Unfortunately, it was too little, too late: GRADE: B-;

II. DEFENSE: Turnovers by the offense and uncharacteristic poor play by Special Teams put the "D" behing the eight ball most of the night. But, poor secondary play reared it's ugly head again, as the Pats gave up several big pass plays.

1.) DL:  This group did a fair job of containing Frank Gore and the 489ers' running game, as Gore finished with 83 yards on 21 carries. But, they were able to apply no pressure on young QB Colin Kaepernick. Kaepernick had plenty of time to connect on several long pass plays. Other than Rob Ninkovich (fumble recovery, sack, and 7 tackles (2 solos), no one really stood out. Having to play from behind throughout the game prevented this group from being more aggressive. Just one of the by-products of this frustrating, aggravating evening. The Pats' badly need an eventual shot in the arm from DE Chandler Jones: GRADE: C;

2.) LBs:  As was the case with the DL, did a decent job against the run. But, with the 49ers able to jump out to such a huge lead, the aggressiveness from this crew dissipitated. You'd figure that, when an opponent fumble six (6) times, the defense would be alert enough to recover more than one of the six. But, oh well. Jerod Mayo led the team as usual with 12 tackles (5 solos), and was helped out by Dont'a Hightower (8 tackles...5 solos) and Brandon Spikes (6 tackles...3 solos). RB Frank Gore managed two catches for 34 yards, including a 26 yard play. Still, overall, this group seems to be improving with every game: GRADE: C+;

3.) SECONDARY: After several weeks of gradual improvement, this unit took a major step backwards tonight. Colin Kaepernick threw for four (4) TDs, and had several long completions. The 49ers first TD resulted when old friend Randy Moss broke free for a 24 yard reception. Their second TD came after a 35 yard PI penalty on Aqib Talib, and a deep 34 yard TD pass to TE Delanie Walker...and...before you could say Colin Kaepernick, it was 17-3, 49ers, at the half. After the Ridley fumble and a Brady pick gift-wrapped two more TDs...the Pats' roared back to tie the game...only of have CB Kyle Arrington whiff on Michael Crabtree, after Crabtree had caught a short pass....38 yards later, the had their winning score, and a 38-31 lead. Other than Devin McCourty, who intercepted Kaepernick in the endzone to kill a scoring drive, there were no highlights for this group. Lots of work ahead: GRADE: D;   

III. SPECIAL TEAMS: After the team had battled back from a 3-31 deficit to tie the game at 31, on the ensuing kickoff, this group allowed rookie RB LaMichael James to return the kick 62 yards. On the very next play, the 49ers scored the winning TD against a deflated defense, on the aforementioned catch and and run by Crabtree. But, that was not the only sin for the not so specials. In the forst quarter, San Francisco caught the specials napping on a fake punt, and ran for a 31 yard gain. The Pats were fortunate that this didn't lead to any points, as the 49ers missed a 39 yard FG.  Finally, the specials failed to recover a muffed punt by 49ers' punt returner Ted Ginn, Jr., and failed on a last gasp on-side kick try: GRADE: D-;

IV. COACHING:  I had picked the 49ers and the 5.5 points going into this game, because I thought that the Pats would have a hard time stringing together back to back "A" games. Unfortunately, I was right. For whatever reason, the Pats seemed to come out of the gate flat...stringing together more "three and outs" in the first half, than they did in seemingly their last three games combined. The 49ers' physical  front seven dominated the line of scrimmage throughout the opening half, and shut down the Pats' ground game. The suddenly one-dimemsional Pats had no answers until the second half. On the defensive side of the ball, falling behind as they did put the "D" back on it's heels. Credit the coaching staff for making TE Vernoin Davis a non-factor. But, some poor secondary play hurt, but the turnovers and poor special teams play killed. With so much riding on this game in terms of playoff positioning, and after such a great performance against Houston, this game was a huge disappointment: GRADE: C-;

V. PLAY OF THE GAME: It's a toss-up between the 66 yard return buy Dashon Goldson of that Ridley fumble, and the 62 yard kickoff return by James. But, I'll give the nod the the 66 yard fumble return. At the time, the Patriots were down, 17-3, early in the 3rd quarter, and on a drive. Ridley fumbled at the 49er 31 yard line...and Goldson returned it to the New England 6 yard line. Had that fumble not occurred, and the Pats had scored a TD, you're looking at a 17-10 game, with the Pats having the momentum. But, instead, the fumble lead to an easy San Francisco TD, and a commanding 24-3 lead. Why were you so upbeat in your post-game interview, Mr. Ridley?

VI. PLAYER OF THE GAME: 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick, who completed 14 of 25 passes for 216 yards, four TDs, and a pick.                                    

Here is the box score: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=321216017

As always, your comments and opinions are welcome.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: 49ers @ Patriots REPORT CARD

(had a bad stat from a site that was in error)

You're going to fault him for the butterfingers of Hern on that INT? Nonsense. Even on the other one Welker just stopped running. Our receivers are not too good at all at contesting INTs. Plenty of drops as well as very little separation by the WRs until the second half.

I don't know that MVP is a goner. Two games left. He still has a 100 passer rating and is in the top 4 with TDs, but still is better on the INTs than just about anybody. He had a bit of a lead before this debacle I would say, but now it is very very close among him, Fetus Head and Rodgers. No thanks to receivers who give up on balls and hand INTs to defenders I might add.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Pat thanks for this, appreciate the time you put into these. 

I'd differ on Brady but that's because I place a higher value on intangibles than you do. I saw real leadership from him in this game and the comeback indicated a different level of determination than in a couple of those recent losses where there was no halftime adjustment and no vigorous comeback. I'd go B- there, and accept a C+. Lower than that misses the greatness that was on display. Perfection is rare so overcoming mistakes is big. 

That said if we don't win the Super Bowl this will loom as a costly loss unless Denver lays an egg in the next two games.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

The Hernandez pick certainly was not Brady's fault, but overall the game was one of Brady's worst in years. The average QB in the league puts up a mid-80's QB rating Brady but up a 68.9. I would say a C is generous if anything. For 15 minutes he was awesome, but you have to grade on the whole game. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Say bye bye to a bye week. After a stirring performance in their win over the Houston Texans, the Pats laid a stink bomb of such epic proportions that it would have even chased Barack O'Bama away from his politically timed, unprecedented speech in the middle of a prime-time football time. It was 31-3, 49ers, mid-way into the third quarter, before the Patriots woke up. Though the Pats roared back to tie the game at 31, it was a microcosm of their season. The Pats had left themselves no margin for error...and went down to a stinging 41-34 defeat. Here are my grades:

I. OFFENSE: Four turnovers and dropped passes doomed this unit's effort. The 49er defense rendered the Patriots one dimensional in shutting down the Pats ground game, and after the 49ers forced the Pats to play catch-up all night long.

1.) QB: There are those of you who will point out that Tom led the Patriots on a furious comeback, erasing a 31-3 SF lead, by tying the game at 31. There are those who will point to the fact that Tom passed for 443 yards. Yet, I'll point to the fact that Tom threw the ball sixty-five (65) times to get those yards, completing just 36 of his throws, and had two costly interceptions. Tom looked jittery throughout the first half, before settling down in the second stanza. In many ways, this game was reminiscent of his performance in that awful 2010 playoff loss to the Jersey Jets. Other than developing some chemistry with Brandon Lloyd, there was nothing here for Tom to write home about. Say bye to bye, and the MVP: GRADE: C;

2.) RBs: A RB can rush for 100 yards in nearly every game, and 1200 plus yards for a season. But, if he fumbles, he's a liability to his team. This description is beginning to fit Stevan Ridley like a glove. Other than catastrophic blocked kicks or pick sixes, nothing is more harmful to a teams' chances to win than a fumble. So, BB went to Plan B, Shane Vereen. The result, a catch of a short pass, and a fumble. So finally, BB went with Plan C, Danny Woodhead. Woody was solid, with 12 rushes for 61 yards, and 5 pass receptions for 23 more, and a pair of TDs. In bad weather, a team must be able to get some mileage out of it's rushing attack. Not so tonight, with Ridley and Vereen. Interesting that after his awful performance, when being interviewed, that Ridley was so upbeat, as if his team had won: GRADE: D;

3.) OL: Where was the crew that dominated last Monday night? The Big Uglies had loads of trouble with the talented 49ers front seven from the get-go. When this unit finally decided to start blocking people, it was 31-3, San Francisco. It's tough to get up for back to back big games. But, that's precisely what the Patriots will have to do in the play-offs...only now, they'll have to do it on the road. This unit must be more consistent in the upcoming playoffs: GRADE: C;

4.) WRs & TEs: Aaron Hernandez was targeted by Tom 19 times, yet had only 9 receptions, for 92 yards, and a TD. Not bad looking stats on paper, but there were a couple of costly drops. TE Hoomanawanui had one catch on a 41 yard play. Clearly, the 49ers focused on stopping Wes Welker. They held the Pats' well covered mighty-mite to just 5 catches for 56 yards. For the second game in a row, Brandon Lloyd came up big, finishing with 10 catches for 190 yards...with a highlight 53 yard pass play. Unfortunately, it was too little, too late: GRADE: B-;

II. DEFENSE: Turnovers by the offense and uncharacteristic poor play by Special Teams put the "D" behing the eight ball most of the night. But, poor secondary play reared it's ugly head again, as the Pats gave up several big pass plays.

1.) DL:  This group did a fair job of containing Frank Gore and the 489ers' running game, as Gore finished with 82 yards on 21 carries. But, they were able to apply no pressure on young QB Colin Kaepernick. Kaepernick had plenty of time to connect on several long pass plays. Other than Rob Ninkovich (fumble recovery, sack, and 7 tackles (2 solos), no one really stood out. Having to play from behind throughout the game prevented this group from being more aggressive. Just one of the by-products of this frustrating, aggravating evening. The Pats' badly need an eventual shot in the arm from DE Chandler Jones: GRADE: C;

2.) LBs:  As was the case with the DL, did a decent job against the run. But, with the 49ers able to jump out to such a huge lead, the aggressiveness from this crew dissipitated. You'd figure that, when an opponent fumble six (6) times, the defense would be alert enough to recover more than one of the six. But, oh well. Jerod Mayo led the team as usual with 12 tackles (5 solos), and was helped out by Dont'a Hightower (8 tackles...5 solos) and Brandon Spikes (6 tackles...3 solos). Overall, this group seems to be improving with every game: GRADE: B-;

3.)                           

[/QUOTE]

brady was off on a lot, i mean a lot of passes too high to catch, to low to catch.

re teh scondary and the qb pressure, bb went more zone tonight and didnt bring the pressure liek last 2 games where he did and where he played talib and dennard in man. dennard got rosted playing zone this eve. gregory is still too slow to be a starter.

i expected a good de to give josh's gameplans some trouble . credit he and brady for pulling it out in snd half, more brady io believe and the conditioning of our team (and heart) vs theirs.

i count 5-7 pass int not called by refs, 2 in the end zone and a lot of holding of our pass catchers.

i love the guts of the comeback.

given this game, opposite of most ive heard, this cements our position ABOVE SF in power rankings, given how much had to go their way for them to beat us (it was an enormous amount) and the coming back   28 points unaswered late.

lets see how much reiliency we have after this.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Hernandez pick certainly was not Brady's fault, but overall the game was one of Brady's worst in years. The average QB in the league puts up a mid-80's QB rating Brady but up a 68.9. I would say a C is generous if anything. For 15 minutes he was awesome, but you have to grade on the whole game. 

[/QUOTE]

I had a bad stat from a site for Brady that I removed. Still, Welker was pathetic on the first INT and just pulled up plaintively looking for a call, and Hern should be slapped for his wuss performance on the other INT. Too many drops as well. Take away those and Brady did pretty well considering that nobody else could even hold on to the ball and he was throwing it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pat thanks for this, appreciate the time you put into these. 

I'd differ on Brady but that's because I place a higher value on intangibles than you do. I saw real leadership from him in this game and the comeback indicated a different level of determination than in a couple of those recent losses where there was no halftime adjustment and no vigorous comeback. I'd go B- there, and accept a C+. Lower than that misses the greatness that was on display. Perfection is rare so overcoming mistakes is big. 

That said if we don't win the Super Bowl this will loom as a costly loss unless Denver lays an egg in the next two games.

[/QUOTE]

What intangiables? Where was the leadership in the first half, when the Pats' offense was offensive? My grade encompasses the entire game...not just the Pats' stirring second half comeback.      

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

The first half was a debacle. Still have no idea what wa going on with a couple of epic delays and calls by refs. Mr. Ed was grandstanding a lot. I don't blame refs for loss- Pats beat themselves-  they  did add to the clown car atmosphere and did "miss" a number of PI calls on Pats receivers. Wes was geting mugged.

SF was obviously well prepared and well coached. The weather should have worked in our favor at Gillette.  I expected there would be dropped balls- but not the number by the Pats. Ridley was a libility.  Such a disapointment. Obviously the Pats have to be ready for back to back big games. NFL- not a back yard pick up game.

Mostly agree wih grades and assessment of game. TB was awesome in the second half comeback. Pats special teams... horrid.

I have to give a shout out to the Pats fans at Gillette, who get an A.  They hung in in miserable conditions,  made some seious noise, and rocked the house in the second half.

60 minutes of football.  Huge gut check for Pats.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to darwk's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The first half was a debacle. Still have no idea what wa going on with a couple of epic delays and calls by refs. Mr. Ed was grandstanding a lot. I don't blame refs for loss- Pats beat themselves-  they  did add to the clown car atmosphere and did "miss" a number of PI calls on Pats receivers. Wes was geting mugged.

RESPONSE: Can't blame the 49ers for that, That is smart, physical football. Why not rough WRs up, especially if the refs are allowing it? That's the 49ers' game. 

SF was obviously well prepared and well coached. The weather should have worked in our favor at Gillette.  I expected there would be dropped balls- but not the number by the Pats. Ridley was a libility.  Such a disapointment. Obviously the Pats have to be ready for back to back big games. NFL- not a back yard pick up game.

RESPONSE: Highly disappointing. The Pats got pushed around for 2.5 quarters last night. It was a reminder to all us Pats fans, and, especially the homers who reside in the Ostrich Society, that the Pats have some holes, and have had problems in the past beating tough, physical teams.

Mostly agree wih grades and assessment of game. TB was awesome in the second half comeback. Pats special teams... horrid.

RESPONSE: Welcome to tough, physical playoff football...where one team wins by exerting it's will over another. The 49ers' "D" exerted their will over the Pats by forcing turnovers...two of which set up easy TDs. Someone started a thread here about "how happy" they were with the Pats' performance, because they were able to erase a 31-3 lead. I look at it just the opposite. The Pats' allowed a visiting team to come into Foxborough in an important, nationally televised game, and physically dominate them. Dominate them to the point that, after 2.5 quarters, New England was losing, 31-3. Sure, Brady and the Boys made a nice comeback. But, was it enough to win? Was it based on dominance? Or, did it at least partially result from the 49ers taking their foot off the gas too early, and going into a loose type, prevent "D"?         

I have to give a shout out to the Pats fans at Gillette, who get an A.  They hung in in miserable conditions,  made some seious noise, and rocked the house in the second half.

RESPONSE: The fans showed up big. Unfortunately, the Patriots did not.

60 minutes of football.  Huge gut check for Pats.

RESPONSE: Amen. It was a huge gut check for the Patriots...and the Patriots did not have the will to do whatever was necessary to beat this rough, tough, physical team. If someone had told any of you Pats' fans that the Patriots were going to turn the ball over four times prior to the start of last nights' game, would any of you have given a plug nickel for their chances? The Pats' embarrassed themselves last night.   

[/QUOTE]

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

This game reminded me of the ice storm game agaist the Jets a few years ago, The ball was like a greased pig.  

If the O-line couldn't pass protect on the icy surface, what would it have looked like in a dome? Yikes

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]

1.) DL:  This group did a fair job of containing Frank Gore and the 489ers' running game, as Gore finished with 83 yards on 21 carries. But, they were able to apply no pressure on young QB Colin Kaepernick. Kaepernick had plenty of time to connect on several long pass plays. Other than Rob Ninkovich (fumble recovery, sack, and 7 tackles (2 solos), no one really stood out. Having to play from behind throughout the game prevented this group from being more aggressive. Just one of the by-products of this frustrating, aggravating evening. The Pats' badly need an eventual shot in the arm from DE Chandler Jones: GRADE: C;

2.) LBs:  As was the case with the DL, did a decent job against the run. But, with the 49ers able to jump out to such a huge lead, the aggressiveness from this crew dissipitated. You'd figure that, when an opponent fumble six (6) times, the defense would be alert enough to recover more than one of the six. But, oh well. Jerod Mayo led the team as usual with 12 tackles (5 solos), and was helped out by Dont'a Hightower (8 tackles...5 solos) and Brandon Spikes (6 tackles...3 solos). RB Frank Gore managed two catches for 34 yards, including a 26 yard play. Still, overall, this group seems to be improving with every game: GRADE: C+;

3.) SECONDARY: After several weeks of gradual improvement, this unit took a major step backwards tonight. Colin Kaepernick threw for four (4) TDs, and had several long completions. The 49ers first TD resulted when old friend Randy Moss broke free for a 24 yard reception. Their second TD came after a 35 yard PI penalty on Aqib Talib, and a deep 34 yard TD pass to TE Delanie Walker...and...before you could say Colin Kaepernick, it was 17-3, 49ers, at the half. After the Ridley fumble and a Brady pick gift-wrapped two more TDs...the Pats' roared back to tie the game...only of have CB Kyle Arrington whiff on Michael Crabtree, after Crabtree had caught a short pass....38 yards later, the had their winning score, and a 38-31 lead. Other than Devin McCourty, who intercepted Kaepernick in the endzone to kill a scoring drive, there were no highlights for this group. Lots of work ahead: GRADE: D;   

III. SPECIAL TEAMS: After the team had battled back from a 3-31 deficit to tie the game at 31, on the ensuing kickoff, this group allowed rookie RB LaMichael James to return the kick 62 yards. On the very next play, the 49ers scored the winning TD against a deflated defense, on the aforementioned catch and and run by Crabtree. But, that was not the only sin for the not so specials. In the forst quarter, San Francisco caught the specials napping on a fake punt, and ran for a 31 yard gain. The Pats were fortunate that this didn't lead to any points, as the 49ers missed a 39 yard FG.  Finally, the specials failed to recover a muffed punt by 49ers' punt returner Ted Ginn, Jr., and failed on a last gasp on-side kick try: GRADE: D-;

IV. COACHING:  I had picked the 49ers and the 5.5 points going into this game, because I thought that the Pats would have a hard time stringing together back to back "A" games. Unfortunately, I was right. For whatever reason, the Pats seemed to come out of the gate flat...stringing together more "three and outs" in the first half, than they did in seemingly their last three games combined. The 49ers' physical  front seven dominated the line of scrimmage throughout the opening half, and shut down the Pats' ground game. The suddenly one-dimemsional Pats had no answers until the second half. On the defensive side of the ball, falling behind as they did put the "D" back on it's heels. Credit the coaching staff for making TE Vernoin Davis a non-factor. But, some poor secondary play hurt, but the turnovers and poor special teams play killed. With so much riding on this game in terms of playoff positioning, and after such a great performance against Houston, this game was a huge disappointment: GRADE: C-;

V. PLAY OF THE GAME: It's a toss-up between the 66 yard return buy Dashon Goldson of that Ridley fumble, and the 62 yard kickoff return by James. But, I'll give the nod the the 66 yard fumble return. At the time, the Patriots were down, 17-3, early in the 3rd quarter, and on a drive. Ridley fumbled at the 49er 31 yard line...and Goldson returned it to the New England 6 yard line. Had that fumble not occurred, and the Pats had scored a TD, you're looking at a 17-10 game, with the Pats having the momentum. But, instead, the fumble lead to an easy San Francisco TD, and a commanding 24-3 lead. Why were you so upbeat in your post-game interview, Mr. Ridley?

VI. PLAYER OF THE GAME: 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick, who completed 14 of 25 passes for 216 yards, four TDs, and a pick.                                    

Here is the box score: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=321216017

As always, your comments and opinions are welcome.

[/QUOTE]

Spot on re: Brady. Never mind the picks, one off Hernandez. How about those over and underthrown pases? The Pats receovers did more diving last night than any dozen gys in Acapulco or in any three soccer (the REAL football) games. IF the exuse was the receivers were covered, then why throw their way? No one's covered, the guy in the 3rd seat from the left in the front row gets a souvenier. He was rushed all night, with few exceptions. I'll agree with you re: MVP. It's headed up to the frozen tundra for Peterson. On a few plays last night, I saw flashes of Cutler..... 

Also want to chip in a thought from all us Sky Is Falling Gang regarding the defense. It was a GREAT game. Perfect in  all ways. Great game plan drawn up, nicely lullabying the Niners into a false sense of security allowing deep passes to be caught on the secondary. Just lulled them into a sense of false security, priming them for the 2nd half. Guess someone should have told them to stop the charade in the 4th qtr, huh?

ABSOLUTELY PERFECT GAME PLAN!!

No, the sky is not falling. The Pats just made things more difficult on themselves. Not a good thing with two games left to be rooting for the Browns and Chiefs. Funny how no rose colored glasses fan will address the Cardinal hiome loss debacle....... THAT is the one game that will kill them in the post season. Sorry, not going to buy the excuse that they ned to play every week stuff either. They need Gronk back HEALTHY. They nedd the bumps and bruises healed. Plus, playing at home is better all around. Spare me the stats.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Captain Doom & Gloom - today is your day to shine!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from faninCT. Show faninCT's posts

Thanks for your report card TxPat. Most are on target but a couple are too generous. I agree with AzPat; the loss to the Cardinals is/will be a killer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1807930. Show user_1807930's posts

V.       As always, your comments and opinions are welcome.

[/QUOTE]

No significant injuries against an NFC team. A+ and of course priceless.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Just tremendous heart shown by the Pats. They don't need the bye; they need to continue to work on some things.

They are very well positioned, and a loss like this came at the perfect time. They will not go into the post season believing in their own hype, but they will go in believing they can battle with anyone.

Championship caliber teams do not give up under the worst adversity. This game made me as proud to be a Pats fan as any I have ever witnessed!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to themightypatriots's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah...I'm real happy, you idiot. Can't you tell?

[/QUOTE]

LMAO.  This Jets fan gets upset when he's exposed.  You might want to try not being so obvious next time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah...I'm real happy, you idiot. Can't you tell?

[/QUOTE]

LMAO.  This Jets fan gets upset when he's exposed.  You might want to try not being so obvious next time.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Mighty One. You got me. I guess I have to get up pretty early in the morning to put one past you.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LOVE these intelligent responses. Thought provoking, too.

ROFLMFAO!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Nice job TexPat. I would've given the lb's and d-linemn both C-. 1 sack and no tackles for loss is poor effort, I realize the offense & spec teams put them in tough spots but 1 tackle behind the line of scrimmage for a whole gm is a poor effort.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just tremendous heart shown by the Pats. They don't need the bye; they need to continue to work on some things.

They are very well positioned, and a loss like this came at the perfect time. They will not go into the post season believing in their own hype, but they will go in believing they can battle with anyone.

Championship caliber teams do not give up under the worst adversity. This game made me as proud to be a Pats fan as any I have ever witnessed!

[/QUOTE]

Pats had a tremendous comeback and showed they can score.  They didn't have any short drives. Turnovers killed us and dug us too big a hole.  SF only scored on two drives that started on their half of the field.  Here are the starting field positions for SF drives:

SF 37  scored TD

NE 45 scored TD

SF 22  scored FG

NE 3. Scored TD

NE 27 scored TD

NE 38 scored Td

NE 12 scored FG

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

ya know something pat? it's just too bad that you couldn't have the tallent or ability to put on a uniform and go out there last nite in that rain and cold and feel what it was like. I don't give a crap. it was pretty miserable for both teams. san fran played just a little bit better than our boys did. they got the w. almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. I give cudos to the patriots for almost pulling off the comeback of the century. to be down 21 to 3 and lose by only 7 is nothing short of miraculous. I for one am proud of how our boys never quit or hung their heads......danny woodhead is da man. TB is still the best of the best and I will stick by my patriots.

next game is gonna be pure anger pat.........pure anger.

Sections
Shortcuts